lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Should the next RTS be space or ground based?
Space 2 14.29%
Ground 4 28.57%
BOTH! 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: The next RTS. Space or ground?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #41
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

Blizzard has made every single game as a quality epic that they spend a huge amount of time and resources in creating.

Look at Warcraft 3 as an example they spent at least 3 YEARS creating it propably 7 since I'm not sure when WC2 came out.

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 01:58 PM   #42
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Not really. They don't spend 7 years working on a game. They stopped the WarCraft serie after the ex-pac for WarCraft 2 only to restart it later.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #43
FroZticles
Veteran

You have to have a real acquired taste for WC3. I don't really like the game myself because of the micro wars it requires to be any good in multiplayer.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs
Battle for Middle-Earth 2

Let the battle begin.....

FroZticles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #44
DK_Viceroy

Well I thought they might have been working on it since then I'm not sure when they started it.

I like WC3 because it requires alot of micro skill to be good at it you could say it's Micro practise.

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Old 11-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #45
Sithmaster_821
Ensemble Fanboy

I never said Blizzard makes bad games per se. I personally don't like them, but thats just my opinion. I will more than willingly concede that StarCraft is one of the best RTSs ever made, its just that I don't like it. However, my biases aside, I cannot possibly imagine Blizzard's formula fitting with a SW RTS. A good SW RTS has to have the epic feel, something that none of Blizard's games, even StarCraft, quite accomplished. That epic feel comes from controlling large armies that march across vast swaths of land. Star Wars isn't about minor skirmishes, its about large scale battles. And the cartoony graphics do not fit. It would just ruin the illusion that you are playing the movie. Im not saying that the cartoony graphics are ugly, some of the stuff I've seen in WoW, atleast in terms of the environments, is insane. It just would ruin the Star Wars atmosphere.

Anyways, I doubt Blizzard will be making any RTS's from their own IP's in the near future, not to mention making one for some one else. With the genre growing anemic and the team that pioneered their first RTS's gone after TFT, they are smartly milking their RTS franchises from afar w/ WoW and SCG. And a game like WoW requires a lot of continued dedication and support that it would be difficult to make another game along with it. EA will probably do the same thing with C&C, although they can afford to do whatever they please.

The truth is that the RTS is a dying genre. Look at what RTS's are announced to be coming out after this year. You have SSS's last ditch effort to undo two bombed games with EE2 and you have our untitled and barely announced game. Add in whatever the hell ES is working on (prolly AoE3) since they are the only member of the Big Three who only makes RTSs, although even they are trying to expand horizons if the RTS market falls out (this is pure speculation, but I'd be willing to bet that their other non-RTS project is a FPS-ish game for Xenon, they've been hiring people from iD, Valve and Retro). So that makes a sequel to a disappointing game from a disappointing company and two purely speculative projects. Pretty impressive

But I digress

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."-Albert Einstein
Sithmaster_821 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2004, 06:54 PM   #46
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Getting back onto topic, i still say the game should be Ground-based RTS with an optional Space RTT.

In terms of having both, can you guys imagine how long a singlewould take if you had to play both Space and Ground? Or how much memory would have to be used up? Frankly, i cant see a combined Space and Ground RTS being viable for quite a while.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #47
starmark2k
Someone's Worse Nightmare

LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
As they are making a age of empires 3 maybe they will use a similar engine for this (as galactic battlegrounds was based on a similar way as AOE 2). so it is likly to be ground combat. I would prefer this rather than a space combat.

If they do make one with both they should do a TBS and a RTS mix with the turn based stratergy in space and the real time on ground when you attack planets on the TBS stratergy.
starmark2k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 11:07 AM   #48
DK_Viceroy

TBS is evil it shouldn't be in a SW game it'd break up the momentum.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #49
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Actually, that is a good suggestion. For example, the 'Total War' series uses TBS for the strategic level, as does 'Star Trek: Birth of the Federation'.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2004, 02:47 AM   #50
FroZticles
Veteran

Having both is a long way off. Also there making a new game using the generals/B4ME engine based in the Red alert universe. The time of the scud storm and balrog is over time to return to the silo and weather machine.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 12-12-2004, 03:44 AM   #51
DK_Viceroy

RA3 being created is old news, I also fail to see the relevance especially when the next Star Wars RTS will be out first.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #52
FroZticles
Veteran

Nothing was official about a new Red Alert game more like speculation, same with the new AOE nothing but speculation. We were talking about engines just stating what engine they will be using.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 AM   #53
DK_Viceroy

It's supposed to be yet another revamped version of the SAGE engine which I have heard some people describe as the most under-optimised engine ever.

I think they should bring back the sidebar that was a lot better.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 AM   #54
FroZticles
Veteran

Anyways we should get back on topic.....

Moderators are being real tough on us lately even though without us this forum would be dead.

I just hope they don't build this RTS up to be great just to disappoint us in the end so I'm hoping it will be better than SWGB cause thats the bar I'm setting.

Age of Empires 3
vs
Empire at War
vs
Rise of Legends
vs

Old 12-13-2004, 03:05 AM   #55
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I just pray they don't rush it. The game is for 2005 and I don't want to see it rushed for the DVD release of EP3 or something like that.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 03:27 AM   #56
DK_Viceroy

I've said elsewhere that the game will end up being delayed till early 2006 especially since in the games industry Release Dates are a slippery concept.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:29 AM   #57
saberhagen

They rushed Battlefront to coincide with the (un)original trilogy DVDs, so I can see the same happening with other releases.
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 AM   #58
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by FroZticles
Moderators are being real tough on us lately even though without us this forum would be dead.
Spamming isn't keeping the forum "alive." Which is what was going on in that other thread.

As for the next RTS, as long as it's fun, and it's out before I turn old.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 05:48 AM   #59
DK_Viceroy

That was way off topic.

though Saber to be fair though Lucasarts farmed this one out and they'll want a good job done of it for a change since most of their offerings left quite a lot to be desired and this is Lucasarts not Petroglyph.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:04 AM   #60
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
That is quite amusing considering your posts.

As for the actual topic, I still hope for a Homeworld 2 or even a Star Trek Armada 2 type space RTS.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2004, 06:07 AM   #61
DK_Viceroy

I think the industry has evolved enough to try a mix of ground and Space RTS.

Phreak I'm insulted me off Topic? I've always tried to link things I say to the topic.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #62
Fishflesh
Veteran

it will be space and ground acording to Petroglyph
Fishflesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > The next RTS. Space or ground?