lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mac people are KotOR players too
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Arrow Mac people are KotOR players too

Greets Everyone! After a small "Mac" problem arose, (look towards bottom of this page) a realization struck....there's not really a Mac user's guide here. So...with a helpful nudge from an unnamed moderator (till they wish to 'identify' themselves as a closet Mac-liker) Here it is...

Mac users are KotOR Players Too

Those who own a Mac are well aware that as far as installation of mods, uninstallation of mods and console controls go...they're identical to a PC. For the PC'ers...we Mac'ers drag-n-drop with the best of 'em Our Folders are named the same and our framerates can suck with the best of them

The only real problem is modding is near impossible unless you have a program that runs Windows compatible files (as well as incorporate the .NET Framework). Macs do not understand, read or execute ".exe" files ergo - no tools

Those programs can cost some serious ca$h and I'd be afraid that most users here wouldn't have those resources (I'm fortunate to be a big errmm 'kid', PLUS my job gives me access to the more powerful systems).

If there are any Mac users here on the forums, I'd ask that you lend and share your knowledge involving KotOR to this thread. ALSO, if you have problems with KotOR and are using a Mac, ask here (or the Workbench).

I know enough of Macs to be dangerous but I, plus hopefully others here on the forums, may be able to help out with any questions you have.

PC'ers, if you have questions or are curious about Macs, please respond as well. This however, IS NOT an invitation to flame Macs, nor is it to wage a war with PC's (I own both types, and both have their advantages....and disadvantages).

------------------------------

For Starters, I suggest any Mac user to make sure they have StuffIt Expander either loaded on their machine, or get it here (it's free). It will solve any compressed file woes (zip & rar). There's also a PC version if anyone's interested.

I'll leave the thread at this for the moment to see if there's any interest. If there is, perhaps we can add more tools and such later. I look forward to hearing from fellow Mac'ers!


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,292
Thanks, that could be useful also to modders who are non mac users to include the proper info in their mods readme.

But just out of curiosity * cough* what about a tidbit on enabling and using cheats on a Mac? ( I know you use them - I mean not only Macs but cheats - ) Is it the same as for PC?
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #3
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth333
But just out of curiosity * cough* what about a tidbit on enabling and using cheats on a Mac? ( I know you use them - I mean not only Macs but cheats - ) Is it the same as for PC?
ACK! ...first question. Pretty much the same as a PC except for the location.

In order to activate cheats on the Mac version of KotOR:

1. Open the file swkotor.ini (located in the Library > Preferences > Knights of the Old Republic folder).

2. Under the heading [Game Options] type: EnableCheats=1

3. Save your file

4. While the game is running, activate the console by pressing the tilde ~ key (top left of keyboard).

5. Enter a cheat code and press Enter.


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
sheedee
Rookie
 
sheedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 35
A question

Just out of curiosity, what HW does the mac version of KOTOR run on? I've got one of those 12' iBooks with 512MB ram, Ati radeon 32mb and 1.2 ghz G4 CPU. Can I run it on that?
sheedee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Re: A question

Quote:
Originally posted by sheedee
Just out of curiosity, what HW does the mac version of KOTOR run on? I've got one of those 12' iBooks with 512MB ram, Ati radeon 32mb and 1.2 ghz G4 CPU. Can I run it on that?
System Requirements (for MAC):

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.4 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4 or later
CPU Speed: 1GHz or faster
Memory: 256 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 4.2GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce2 MX or better
Video Memory (VRam): 32 MB or higher
Media Required: DVD Drive

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to run it, your specs are within the req's. But don't go for all the "high end" visual settings. When there's combat with several opponents, your framerates are gonna struggle. However it's still playable. Your RAM will help you out

My suggestions:
1) Disable Soft Shadows (you can still use shadows)
2) 2x antialliasing or disable
3) 2x anisoptropy or disable
4) 800x600, no larger than 1024x768 (60-75hertz refresh)
5) Grass (toggle to your preferences)
6) Disable Frame Buffer Effects (or lower other settings to make up the difference)
7) V-sync. Since this game is not a real fast paced FPS, enabling it doesn't make a huge difference. Toggle it to your preferences and playing style.


Make doubly sure you patch KotOR with v1.03b (mac)


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Lord_DarthRevan
Rookie
 
Lord_DarthRevan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26

I never knew that mac had decent games
(no offense)
question: Does the games codes have to be speacialy writen or can the game work on an PC and a mac?


life is rough, wear a helmet
Lord_DarthRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #7
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_DarthRevan

I never knew that mac had decent games
(no offense)
question: Does the games codes have to be speacialy writen or can the game work on an PC and a mac?
No offense taken, till recently Mac was "game dead"

Mac did struggle to have any kind of decent games, until they found out that not all Mac users are dull & boring and the fact that "hey, we can make money doing games too! wow! (duh)" hehe
The main problem they have (or did) was finding companies that could port script over from PC versions to a Mac usable version...Aspyr tends to be a big leader since 1996, but still...the release dates are something to be desired (they're getting better though)...

As far as game codes. I know that the "cheat codes" are identical, however as far as game 'coding', I'm at a total loss. A programmer/scripter I'm not. I'd have better luck translating the "DaVinci Code" than I would trying to program.

I think the last bit of coding I did went something like this:
Code:
10 ChAiNz is a programmer dork
20 goto 10
30 end
That was several years ago on a computer that my engineering calculator has more memory than it had

But yes, Mac games are specifically written for a Mac, a PC just looks at it and goes "huh?" (macs can't read .exe files) and vice versa.

But as much as I love Macs, if you're more into gaming rather than Graphic/memory intensive apps (media editing)...I'd advise to go with a PC unless you just have 3 times the ca$h to blow on a grossly overpriced "Nintendo®"


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
magnoliafan78
Rookie
 
magnoliafan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
I mentioned this on another thread and it was suggested I post the info here as well:

For mac users who wish to use a control pad on KotOR, download USB Overdrive X.
It allows you to map the keyboard keys to a pad and assign custom control schemes to individual aps.
It works great with KotOR, once you find a control scheme that suits you.
magnoliafan78 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
magnoliafan78
Rookie
 
magnoliafan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
ChAiNz, you meantioned that there were certain "expensive" pieces of software that would allow for mac users to mod KotOR...

If one were to have the means, what programs would you suggest?
magnoliafan78 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by magnoliafan78
ChAiNz, you meantioned that there were certain "expensive" pieces of software that would allow for mac users to mod KotOR...

If one were to have the means, what programs would you suggest?
To be honest, there's only one that I personally would use and that's Virtual PC. The means, of course, isn't really that bad (as most mac users are used to by now), but when compared to a $40 game...big difference

And while there are many PC emulators (freeware & shareware), "you get what you pay for"

Virtual PC

You might still find some copies of RealPC or SoftWindows out there, but trust me, if you want a commercial program that has support and an invariably better "lifespan" than the other 2 listed, go with Virtual PC (and RAM ) hehe

However, in order to mod KotOR, the OS has to incorporate .NET Frameworks. I've yet to get this to work correctly on my Mac, so be warned before going out and spending some ca$h.

If I happen to find out how to get KotOR Tool working on my mac, I'll be sure to let everyone know


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #11
magnoliafan78
Rookie
 
magnoliafan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11
I've got vpc...
I just haven't had much luck getting Kotor tool to work under vpc yet.
magnoliafan78 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by magnoliafan78
I've got vpc...
I just haven't had much luck getting Kotor tool to work under vpc yet.
Same here. However there is hope (possibly). I stumbled upon this little tid-bit.

http://www.itwriting.com/dotnetmac.php

I'm going to have to try this when I get home. I have an old copy of Win98, and hell... the only pc prog I'm interested in running on my mac would be KotOR Tool anyways (I already have a pc). If it's slow, so be it... at least it's a start


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2005, 04:36 PM   #13
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Hi there...

I just wanted to mention that I've actually been successful at doing a (minor) mod for KotOR on my Mac.

I did a texture mod, where I altered the head texture for my character. I got tired of looking at his ugly mug in the cut scenes, so I removed his nasty scar (healed with bacta, perhaps? ) as well as his unfortunate soul patch beard. While I was at it, I also made his eyes green for good measure.

Here's the result:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1...texture1hq.jpg

Sorry about the poor image quality - for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to take an in-game screenshot, so I resorted to using my digital camera.

I'll post more details about how I did it when I get a chance, but I will say that unfortunately, it did involve some work in Virtual PC. If we only had an ERF extractor for the Mac, I would have been able to do the whole thing in OS X.

There may be some hope though.... like I said, I'll post back when I have more time. In the meantime, I'm glad to see there are other Mac users interested in game modding.

More to come.

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:09 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #14
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
I'll post more details about how I did it when I get a chance, but I will say that unfortunately, it did involve some work in Virtual PC. If we only had an ERF extractor for the Mac, I would have been able to do the whole thing in OS X.

There may be some hope though.... like I said, I'll post back when I have more time. In the meantime, I'm glad to see there are other Mac users interested in game modding.

More to come,
-Tone
Greets SothiHenson!

That looks great! and I'm glad to see that it is indeed 'possible'. I figured it was going to have to involve VPC, but hey.... I knew there was a reason I bought it hehe

I've got another friend who is a big "Mac Nerd" that likes to deal with the Unix side of OSX, plus he's a big coder for PC's as well. I've 'drafted' him to the cause (with the help of an abundant amount of Girl Scout Cookies®) so maybe he might at least find a way to bridge the gap between the PC/Mac side of modding.

I'm definitely interested however on how you were able to do what you did, so I'm eagerly watching the thread

Thanks for the heads up, any amount of info you can 'leak' to us will be GREATLY appreciated by some... and a hero to others hehe


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
witchfinder
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 131
Isn't there something called "GIMP 2.0" which emulates windows to allow you to play the game? Or is that just for Linux?
witchfinder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2005, 01:13 AM   #16
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by witchfinder
Isn't there something called "GIMP 2.0" which emulates windows to allow you to play the game? Or is that just for Linux?
It's not necessarily the playing part that interests us rather than the ability to extract the game files themselves. Fred Tetra's KotOR Tool by far is un-beatable for this task, but it incorporates Micro$oft's .NET Framework.

For MAC users, .NET has limited functionality (even after it's figured out)

But as most who read this can tell, we'll try anything if you could provide a link that's be great witchfinder (I'm not beyond begging at this point..hehe). I've only been able to find the GIMP image editing software, but nothing referring to emulator software.

I'd almost bet money that UNIX is going to play a big part in it. I mean hell, if they can come out with Lindows (LinSpire), there's got to be a way


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #17
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Hey there,

I just wanted to check in and say that I didn't forget about my promise to post more info. I've just been pretty busy and I'd like to experiment with a few more things first so I can make my information more comprehensive.

More to come!


Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:10 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #18
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
Hey there,

I just wanted to check in and say that I didn't forget about my promise to post more info. I've just been pretty busy and I'd like to experiment with a few more things first so I can make my information more comprehensive.

More to come!

Tone
My friend, you're on the verge of a miracle breakthrough so take all the time you need & want!

I, and others, eagerly await your results (no pressure there huh? hehe)....

and if I haven't said so beforehand, Thank You for providing a gleam of hope. You'll have all of my humblest gratitude and Hero-Worship I can offer


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #19
RevanA4
Desu~
 
RevanA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In Bastila's arms
Posts: 2,431
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by witchfinder
Isn't there something called "GIMP 2.0" which emulates windows to allow you to play the game? Or is that just for Linux?

I thought Linux used WINE X for emulation a windows OS becuase I like Linux I just Have no use for it right now. I though that KOTOR 2 was out for macs anyway I could be wrong the(wouldn't be the first time)



Saber is so cute ^__^ | Get Firefox! | call me Revan for short plz
check out this awsome fic by Fuu
What browser do you use. click and vote. you can also discuss browsers here

Formerly known as Revan the great | Back from the dead
RevanA4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #20
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Hi again,

Here's some general info on what I've done and what I'm trying to do.

In Virtual PC, I've been able to use some PC-based tools to do some modding work for Knights. But it hasn't been easy and there are some problems preventing me from doing anything advanced.

First, here's my setup:

I have VPC running with WinXP Professional. I also installed the .Net framework, which is needed by KotOR Tool, one of the main modding utilities. I have a "Shared Folder" in VPC which points to a folder on my Mac Desktop. This basically shows up as a Volume in VPC (Z: drive in my case). I have my Mac installation of KotOR in this folder, so I can point KotOR Tool to it to access the data files (you could just drag your Mac installation into VPC, but then you'd be adding over 4GB to the size of your PC disk image, so I recommend the Shared Folder method I came up with).

In KotOR Tool, you'll need to use "Manage Paths" to point to these files so it has something to work from.

** NOTE: One important issue I ran into is that the most recent version of KotOR Tool will not work this way. It was rewritten to support both KotOR and KotOR II, so it's more specific about where the data files have to live. I assume it would work if you move your Mac data files into the location they would be in a PC installation, but I haven't tested this. I don't have my setup in front of me, so I can't say which version of KotOR Tool I'm using, but I'll post the version number when I have a chance.

So with KotOR Tool, you can edit and/or extract files (such as arrays, textures, dialog, etc...). Ocassionally, KotOR Tool has problems and reports .Net errors. *shrug* I usually just ignore them and Click "Continue." Usually it's fine.

So here's what I've done successfully:

I was able to extract files from KotOR's internal image format to TGA format. These can then be edited with Photoshop (or any image editor that supports TGA) and dropped into your Mac Install's "Override" folder. Luckily, you don't need to convert them back to KotOR's format - TGA's work fine.

This is how I was able to do the head texture mod I showed in my earlier post. I also made my own custom Jedi Robes this way. A sweet platinum blue color...


Now here's where I'm running into problems:

I'm trying a bigger mod, involving new dialog, a newly-recruitable npc, and eventually some sidequests and other goodies. I've created a bunch of files using KotOR Tool and a few other utilities. It *should* be working. All the character info, scripts, and triggers should be in place for the recruiting part to work. But I'm running into a problem with Dialog files (.dlg). I need the custom dialog files for doing the story and for triggering the appropriate scripts. But when I play the game with my files in place, the dialog seems to be getting aborted if I use KotOR Tool to edit it. There's another tool for DLG work - "DLG Editor" - but it won't run at all on my setup (I think it's looking for the PC installation of KotOR, and failing when it can't find the master dialog file).

So at the moment, I'm stumped - without these dialog files working, my mod is dead in the water. I'm going to do some research on the topic and see what I can do, but in the end, it may wind up being an issue with using VPC... which would obviously ruin my chances of making a more advanced mod. That would spell doom...

More to come,

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:11 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #21
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
I don't have my setup in front of me, so I can't say which version of KotOR Tool I'm using, but I'll post the version number when I have a chance.

I checked my setup - I'm using version 1.0.1863.39252
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #22
RevanA4
Desu~
 
RevanA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In Bastila's arms
Posts: 2,431
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
Hi again,

Here's some general info on what I've done and what I'm trying to do.

In Virtual PC, I've been able to use some PC-based tools to do some modding work for Knights. But it hasn't been easy and there are some problems preventing me from doing anything advanced.

First, here's my setup:

I have VPC running with WinXP Professional. I also installed the .Net framework, which is needed by KotOR Tool, one of the main modding utilities. I have a "Shared Folder" in VPC which points to a folder on my Mac Desktop. This basically shows up as a Volume in VPC (Z: drive in my case). I have my Mac installation of KotOR in this folder, so I can point KotOR Tool to it to access the data files (you could just drag your Mac installation into VPC, but then you'd be adding over 4GB to the size of your PC disk image, so I recommend the Shared Folder method I came up with).

In KotOR Tool, you'll need to use "Manage Paths" to point to these files so it has something to work from.

** NOTE: One important issue I ran into is that the most recent version of KotOR Tool will not work this way. It was rewritten to support both KotOR and KotOR II, so it's more specific about where the data files have to live. I assume it would work if you move your Mac data files into the location they would be in a PC installation, but I haven't tested this. I don't have my setup in front of me, so I can't say which version of KotOR Tool I'm using, but I'll post the version number when I have a chance.

So with KotOR Tool, you can edit and/or extract files (such as arrays, textures, dialog, etc...). Ocassionally, KotOR Tool has problems and reports .Net errors. *shrug* I usually just ignore them and Click "Continue." Usually it's fine.

So here's what I've done successfully:

I was able to extract files from KotOR's internal image format to TGA format. These can then be edited with Photoshop (or any image editor that supports TGA) and dropped into your Mac Install's "Override" folder. Luckily, you don't need to convert them back to KotOR's format - TGA's work fine.

This is how I was able to do the head texture mod I showed in my earlier post. I also made my own custom Jedi Robes this way. A sweet platinum blue color...


Now here's where I'm running into problems:

I'm trying a bigger mod, involving new dialog, a newly-recruitable npc, and eventually some sidequests and other goodies. I've created a bunch of files using KotOR Tool and a few other utilities. It *should* be working. All the character info, scripts, and triggers should be in place for the recruiting part to work. But I'm running into a problem with Dialog files (.dlg). I need the custom dialog files for doing the story and for triggering the appropriate scripts. But when I play the game with my files in place, the dialog seems to be getting aborted if I use KotOR Tool to edit it. There's another tool for DLG work - "DLG Editor" - but it won't run at all on my setup (I think it's looking for the PC installation of KotOR, and failing when it can't find the master dialog file).

So at the moment, I'm stumped - without these dialog files working, my mod is dead in the water. I'm going to do some research on the topic and see what I can do, but in the end, it may wind up being an issue with using VPC... which would obviously ruin my chances of making a more advanced mod. That would spell doom...

More to come,
-Tone
virutal machines are tricky in nature some don't always support all the things need to run every program the best VM i've found is VM ware I don't know if it is avalible for macs but is supports every OS i know of including Mac OS's



Saber is so cute ^__^ | Get Firefox! | call me Revan for short plz
check out this awsome fic by Fuu
What browser do you use. click and vote. you can also discuss browsers here

Formerly known as Revan the great | Back from the dead
RevanA4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #23
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Man, I tell ya... all this trouble is almost enough to tempt me to join the darkside...



LORD WINDOWS: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet realize the Star Wars mods you can make. You have only begun to discover the power of KotOR Tool. Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to computer gaming!

TONE SKYWALKER: I'll never join you!

LORD WINDOWS: If you only knew the power of Microsoft. Steve Jobs never told you what happened to your operating system...

TONE SKYWALKER: He told me enough! He told me you stole it!

LORD WINDOWS: No. I am your operating system.

-- Shocked, Tone looks at WINDOWS in utter disbelief.

TONE SKYWALKER: No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!

LORD WINDOWS: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

TONE SKYWALKER: No! No! No!



... must resist. I will find a way.

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:11 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #24
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
Man, I tell ya... all this trouble is almost enough to tempt me to join the darkside...

... must resist. I will find a way.
-Tone

Well, just the progress alone you've made so far is a giant leap man! I'm amazed at your determination and skill (or luck, but hey as long as it works right? )

If worse comes to worse, and assuming GFF Editor will work in the VM environment. You can create dialogs with that tool. It's more of a pain in the arse, but it might 'revive' your mod...

I'll have to experiment with all of the steps you've shown so far... this is almost to good to be true.

Now I'll never get any work done at my job hehehe


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 AM   #25
RevanA4
Desu~
 
RevanA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In Bastila's arms
Posts: 2,431
Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
Man, I tell ya... all this trouble is almost enough to tempt me to join the darkside...



LORD WINDOWS: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet realize the Star Wars mods you can make. You have only begun to discover the power of KotOR Tool. Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to computer gaming!

TONE SKYWALKER: I'll never join you!

LORD WINDOWS: If you only knew the power of Microsoft. Steve Jobs never told you what happened to your operating system...

TONE SKYWALKER: He told me enough! He told me you stole it!

LORD WINDOWS: No. I am your operating system.

-- Shocked, Tone looks at WINDOWS in utter disbelief.

TONE SKYWALKER: No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!

LORD WINDOWS: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

TONE SKYWALKER: No! No! No!



... must resist. I will find a way.
-Tone
um windows sole purpose is to keep the world STUPID becuase each and every new version is just makes it so people have to think less and less. I my self perfer LINUX



Saber is so cute ^__^ | Get Firefox! | call me Revan for short plz
check out this awsome fic by Fuu
What browser do you use. click and vote. you can also discuss browsers here

Formerly known as Revan the great | Back from the dead
RevanA4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #26
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,292
Please do not turn this thread into a Windowze/Mac/Linux debate.

It's the only Mac related thread so let's keep it useful. Off-topic posts will be deleted.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #27
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
There's another tool for DLG work - "DLG Editor" - but it won't run at all on my setup (I think it's looking for the PC installation of KotOR, and failing when it can't find the master dialog file).
Quick update:

Much like KotOR Tool, I got an older version of DLG Editor to run. Unfortunately, it also puts out DLG files that mess up the game when I test them. It fails in a different fashion, but it still fails.

I took a closer look at the DLG file made with KotOR Tool, compared to the unaltered version that works. One thing I notice is that the modified version seems to have turned all the dialog strings into independent ones (rather than links to the master dialog.tlk file). Maybe this is normal, but it might also point to a problem. I don't really know.

I'm exploring the possibility of using GFF Editor for my immediate Dialog needs, but I'm not sure that'll work either.

More to come.

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:12 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2005, 11:58 AM   #28
vivojack
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Angry spinning in circles

Hey there fellow mac users

Anyone else have the problem where you seem to lose control of your PC and they sort of run in circles or stop moving and then suddenly appear across the space you are in? I noticed it happens more in large open spaces like the matale lands on dantooine, but sometimes it happens other places too.

I installed the 1.3 patch with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

My computer is a 12" powerbook G4

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4
CPU Speed: 1.33GHz
Memory: 768 MB or higher
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX Go5200
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB

Thanks, Vivojack
vivojack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2005, 12:12 PM   #29
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Re: spinning in circles

Quote:
Originally posted by vivojack
I installed the 1.3 patch with no improvement.

Any suggestions?

My computer is a 12" powerbook G4

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4
CPU Speed: 1.33GHz
Memory: 768 MB or higher
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX Go5200
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB

Thanks, Vivojack
Greets Vivojack!
Glad to have you aboard.. hehe

Did you install version 1.03c (the c being the important part).. you can get it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18336

Although, I have seen this problem on my PC version as well (I have both), so I don't think it's just Mac related.
It happened to me (alot) when I was on Tattoine in the Dune Sea. Usually while I'm either about to attack (closing in) or just after it ends. It's really freaky too.... one moment you're there then all of a sudden you're about 100 feet away...

Give the 1.03c update a whirl (if you haven't already), and make sure your laptop isn't getting too hot after extended play...


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 03-25-2005 at 10:23 PM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM   #30
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Re: Re: spinning in circles

Quote:
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Greets Vivojack!
Glad to have you aboard.. hehe

Did you install version 1.03c (the c being the important part).. you can get it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18336

Although, I have seen this problem on my PC version as well (I have both), so I don't think it's just Mac related.
It happened to me (alot) when I was on Tattoine in the Dune Sea. Usually while I'm either about to attack (closing in) or just after it ends. It's really freaky too.... one moment you're there then all of a sudden you're about 100 feet away...

Give the 1.03c update a whirl (if you haven't already), and make sure your laptop is getting too hot after extended play...

I've seen this issue too. I think it's related to computer speed. When I run the game on my friend's iMac G5, it happens only very rarely. But on my PowerMac G4 Dual-533 (well below the minimum system requirements) it happens constantly. I'm running 1.03c by the way.

I would think your PowerBook would be able to handle it though.

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:13 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #31
vivojack
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
loss of control of PC

Thanks guys.

I am running 1.03c, I guess my computer is not quite powerful enough to handle the game ... sigh

On a different note - anyone know if TSL will come out for Mac? and any idea on timeframe?

Thanks again, Vivojack
vivojack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #32
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
Re: loss of control of PC

Quote:
Originally posted by vivojack
Thanks guys.

I am running 1.03c, I guess my computer is not quite powerful enough to handle the game ... sigh

On a different note - anyone know if TSL will come out for Mac?

Thanks again, Vivojack
Only rumors... though I really hope it's Aspyr again that releses TSL. Maybe they'll actually get the coding right

as for your laptop, the specs look great enough. Though I've heard nasty rumors the vid card in portables have problems with running KotOR & TSL...


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #33
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by SothiHenson
I'm exploring the possibility of using GFF Editor for my immediate Dialog needs, but I'm not sure that'll work either.
SUCCESS!!!!

I finally made a breakthrough with dialog editing!

I was able to output working DLG files with GFF Editor. In the end, it was the stupidest thing in the world that was preventing me from getting GFF Editor to work right... there's a field for "language" that actives the text field for custom dialog. You have to enter "0" to active it, but it never seemed to work. It turns out it only works if you press the ENTER key. The directions say to click the "Add" button, but that doesn't work for me. Pressing ENTER does, however!

Unlike THE GUI-based dialog editors, GFF Editor outputs valid, functioning DLG files in VPC. The bad news, of course, is that GFF Editor is not a tree-based editor, so it's a real challenge creating complex dialog. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

For now, I'm just thrilled that my Mod is back in business.

More to come

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:13 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #34
vivojack
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
kotor tool for mac

Nice Tone,

Good to hear it.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the old kotor editor that works on mac? The one you are using Tone?

Thought I might try my hand at some minor modding. (and slipstream you Tone since you are doing all the groundbreaking )

Thanks,

Vivojack
vivojack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #35
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
It's been a while since I last posted. I didn't really do much for several weeks, but over the last couple of days I've been hard at work. I'm just about ready to release an early beta version of my Mod if people want to try it out. Here's a sneak peek at what I'm up to:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5...ceparty3sj.jpg

Notice anything different about your party options?

More to come...

Edit: BTW, I finally figured out how to take screenshots (thankfully!)

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:14 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #36
SothiHenson
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14
Re: kotor tool for mac

Quote:
Originally posted by vivojack
Nice Tone,

Good to hear it.

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the old kotor editor that works on mac? The one you are using Tone?

Thought I might try my hand at some minor modding. (and slipstream you Tone since you are doing all the groundbreaking )

Thanks,

Vivojack

I'll see what I can do about making the version I use available, but I wouldn't want to step on any toes (specifically the developer's toes) by mass-distributing an old version of his software. I doubt he'd have a problem with it, but it doesn't hurt to be respectful, just in case. We'll see how it goes.

Either way, I should warn you that the software isn't terribly stable in my setup - I get a lot of errors and crashes and the like. It's actually quite a pain to use. I'm just doing the best I can with it.

Last edited by SothiHenson; 10-13-2005 at 04:14 PM.
SothiHenson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #37
Shrub91
Rookie
 
Shrub91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 147
I'm a Mac user, and had a TON of trouble with KOTOR in 10.4, I just wanna share how I got around it:
go to swkotor.ini (location mentioned above) and under "[Graphics Options]"
press Return and type: (or cut-paste) "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1"
Without quotes of course.
I hope this helps, everyone!
Shrub91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #38
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,847
^^^
Always good to see another MAC user

Also, just a 'heads up'... I should be getting a copy (legal..not the stuff floating around on the net, this one actually works the way it's intended) of the new OSX(86) version ... you know, the one you can install on a PC (un-released, but I'm now Apple certified & I've got contacts! w00t! hehehe)

I'm interested to see (and experiment) with this hybrid OS and see if I can get some 'porting' going on, tool-wise... cross your fingers


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #39
Shrub91
Rookie
 
Shrub91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 147
Yeah, Its been quite a while since I've posted here (or played KotOR for that matter).
And wow, OS X on PC? Good Luck on the porting, ChAiNz.
God, I wish someone could convert Mono_Giganto's TSL DL44 to K1.......
Or for that matter port the whole game to Mac!
Shrub91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #40
Shrub91
Rookie
 
Shrub91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United States of America
Posts: 147
Also, do you know where I can find a Bastila-undies-equippable-on-PC-MOD?
Shrub91 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Padawan's Lounge > Mac people are KotOR players too

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.