lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: If you made an adventure game...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
If you made an adventure game...

...what would it be like? Imagine that you have endless budget, can hire anyone you want and do whatever you want. So, what kind of game would be born out of that? Humour or serious? 2D or 3D? What would the theme be? Who would you get to publish it? What kind of puzzles would it have?

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
If I had an endless budget, I'd probably make a 3D game in the style of Sam & Max 2 (because that was looking really good), and I'd get someone to come up with an original idea, becuase I can't =/.

But because I don't have an endless budget and i had to think of the ideas, i'm making DOTA - http://www.dotagame.com :P

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
JofaGuht

I'd use the same technology and type of gameplay that Shenmue did. Time Control, Magic Weather, 600+ caracters the whole &20 million and seven years of production.

Since, this game won't be affected by the ESRB, I'm thinking some interactive hallucinogenic drug trips and fever dreams. Oh, and Satan would be in it. But he would be a Night Club owner.

Or I would make Stephen King's Dark Tower series into a series of video games. That medium would fit the story perfectly.

Actually, I have a great game idea semi-based on Dante's Inferno called "Nine Circles of Leukville". It's ambitious as hell though. I can't take to time to explain the story, cause I got a real nasty fever. I kind of feel like body-migraine.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #4
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
Feel better Jofa

Hmm, I'd put in like over 50 types of weapons, ragdoll physics, co-operative mode and 10 types of 4-player splitscreen combat variations, drivable vehicles, bump mapping...

I don't think I'm very good at this.

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Drochfhuaimniú
Lurker

Hm. Well, I think first I"d definitely hire John Romero to be head of the Development department. Our Marketing department would mostly be in charge of making bizarre, badly-designed posters containing only a few words such as "John Romero's about to make you his bitch". Sure, the game might delay for years at a time and be replaced by higher quality technology, but we our propaganda will cover that up. Sounds good to me.

People see things as they are and ask why. I dream of things that never were and ask why not.

-George Bernard Shaw
Drochfhuaimniú is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #6
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 

If I made an adventure game, it'd be a 2-D game, but extreme attention to detail. It would have puzzles similar to Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis (hope you all remember that game!). There would be hundreds of interactable characters. Instead of using Midi music (like in indy), I'd get a full orchestral soundtrack most likely produced by John Williams. Finally, it would be filled with humor, but at times being serious (sounds like GF).
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
JofaGuht

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by legowar
...I'd get a full orchestral soundtrack most likely produced by John Williams...
Sorry, this is a non sequitir, but though the music was cool, Fable was CRAP. It was boring, way more linear than advertised, and not nearly as interactive than its similar (and by similar I mean ripped-off) predecessor Shenmue.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Wait, how did we get onto the subject of Fable?

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #9
JofaGuht

John Williams did the score. Sorry. Jumpy brain today.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Er, are you sure about that? I know that Danny Elfman composed its theme, but I thought that the rest was just done by a relative nobody.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
Elfman did the theme, Russel Shaw did the rest of the music it appears.

/didn't play it..
/imdb wins

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #12
JofaGuht

Oh. Sorry. My friend who told me that can be full of crap, I guess. He said John Williams. But he also said that the game was awesome, so I guess I shouldn't trust him.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #13
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Me neither, although I downloaded the soundtrack after hearing about it being pretty good. I was expecting more though, and I definitely wouldn't put it on a level anywhere near John Williams, which is why I thought it was a little strange to suggest that he composed it.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
Shuz

I would get Wes Anderson (c0-wrote and directed "The Royal Tenebaums" and "The Life Aquatic") to write the story. It would be an fairly traditional adventure but with exceptional stylised graphics and plenty of dry, dead-pan humour.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
Manila Envélope
Lurker

fantasizing a travel agency between operated by the undead between heaven and hell is already taken isn't it?

well, a deluded character with severe mental
diseases i.e. schizophrenia -for seeing the unseen-
, manic-depression -for haste or calm in times of need- and M.P.D. -for much needed confusion- to boot...

it would surely require infinite resources anyway... but even the thought of it is promising...[
Manila Envélope is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #16
Manila Envélope
Lurker

Or...a new sort of strategy / tycoon game:
Grimfandango Transplanar Travel Agency
"Through Death and Beyond!!!"

somehow i felt miserable all of a sudden...
Manila Envélope is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > The Calavera Café > If you made an adventure game...