lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Read any good books lately?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #161
Icebox
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Man Country
Bluebeard By Kurt Vonnegut.
Somewhere Below Cat's Cradle and above Slaughterhouse Five. It's Like Barton Fink meets Metal Gear Solid.
First got into him based on a recommendation by Schafer, and gladly KV doesn't dissapoint.

Let's Kick Some ICE!
Icebox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #162
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^I do not have good memories of Vonnegut's works from High School...*sigh*

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #163
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebox View Post
Bluebeard By Kurt Vonnegut.
Somewhere Below Cat's Cradle and above Slaughterhouse Five. It's Like Barton Fink meets Metal Gear Solid.
First got into him based on a recommendation by Schafer, and gladly KV doesn't dissapoint.
Yeah, I got into Vonnegut that way too. Great stuff. You can clearly see his influence on Schafer's work as well. I've already read Slaughterhouse-Five and Deadeye Dick, both of which I can recommend.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #164
spoon_man

Ask the Dust by John Fante.
He's Bukowski's biggest influence. Not much happens in it and it's a very easy read, but I loved every word of it.
spoon_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #165
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Star Wars Republic Commando: True Colors.
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #166
Haggis
Mojorator

I recently read three comic books that I ordered from the Telltale store.

The first one was Further Grickle. It's really amazing how a comic with cartoony graphics can be so real, yet at the same time manages not to become so real that it's not funny anymore. I love how Graham Annable has the guts to sometimes put 10 identical frames in a row, and gets away with it. Stuff like that makes his comics really feel like you're reading an animated movie. And like his animated shorts, it's really out there, but not so much that it gets so avant garde that it's not funny and cool to normal people. Great book.

The other two comics were the first two Bone books. Fantastic. The fact that I had already played the games didn't matter too much I think, the comic is really an entirely new experience. In a way, playing the games helped, in that they provided the voices for the characters in the comic - I think that generally, the casting was really good. Now I want to actually get all the other Bone books too, I've fallen in love with the series!

Haggis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #167
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
Count Of Monte Cristo. It took a while for Edmond to get his revenge but when he finally got back at Morcerf, Danglars and Villefort I was so happy . Edmond Dantes you sneaky bastard.

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #168
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I've been reading everything from Jack Ketchum to history books and programming articles. I've easily been reading for 6, 7 hours a day now.

On Let the Right One In, which is rather good. It's a bit more in-depth than the excellent film (the same guy wrote both), so it loses a bit of the minimalist charm but adds a bit of menace that works well.

About Telltale's comics: I've always wanted to read Fox Bunny Funny, which is apparently amazing. I'll give Bone a shot later as well.

Edit: Woah, the book has a couple of twists the movie only hinted at. Read it. Watch it. Love it.

Last edited by Kroms; 10-16-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #169
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Done with Watchmen. I take back everything I ever said about it. It completely deserves its reputation. Just great, great stuff.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #170
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
Yes, most definitely. You said bad things about it?

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #171
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
I finally found The Dig novelisation by Alan Dean Foster. It was in my local library the whole time.

I really liked the book. The only odd thing I found about it was the Cocytans, who spoke amongst themselves unheard by the human crew from the moment the crew landed on the planet. I know that Alan Foster was trying to convey that their thoughts were intertwined, but the way that it was written was really weird (ie: "one thousand agreed with the first group of twelve"). I don't think someone could go into the book without having played the game first without getting confused.

But, as a companion to the game, it's a great read. A lot of things are expanded upon. We get to see the president of the United States' dilemma about using nuclear devices in space, as well as get a taste about how the asteroid is a world issue and not a US only issue. NASA uses Russian nuclear detonators that were developed to be used for mining excavations and to have as little fallout as possible. Brink is brought in because of the Russian involvement. The international Space agencies want someone there who is not American as well, since the success of the mission determines the fate of the entire Earth.

Most of the changes in the book revolved around puzzles in the game, such as how Boston got the doors open (in the book little robots open the doors for him). But, there is one change early on that I liked a lot. Maggie was not part of the detonation team. She had little training, so she should not have been handling nuclear devices.

spoiler:
The best part of the book in my opinion is the very end. It goes into detail about why Boston is able to get out of the eye when none of the Cocytans can. The book also explains why Brink has aged so much and that its not a bad thing in the end. Maggie and Boston are given extra long lifespans, and Brink is also given a long lifespan despite his increased age. He won't live as long as Maggie and Boston, but he will live long by human standards. I liked Brink's line that he likes his look since his collegues don't take anyone seriously in scientific fields until they reach an older age.

I'm glad I finally got a chance to read this book, since it actually makes me enjoy the game more.
Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #172
Ascovel
Rookie

To be honest I never believed in the final events of The Dig being real. It just seems to me that Boston lost his mind in that other dimension and had delusions of a weird, but happy ending.

A Hardy Developer's Journal - blogging about indie adventure games
Ascovel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #173
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

But what if you used the life crystal to bring Maggie back to life? Would you accept that as an ending because it's slightly less happy?
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #174
Ascovel
Rookie

The ending was basically the same in both cases. Besides I don't have anything against there being a happy ending in The Dig. It's just that the one there created didn't seem convincing. Why did Boston didn't get trapped in the alien dimension again? Because he wasn't as intelligent as the aliens?

A Hardy Developer's Journal - blogging about indie adventure games
Ascovel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #175
Edward van Helgen
Rookie

Current Game: Grim Fandango
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
To be honest I never believed in the final events of The Dig being real. It just seems to me that Boston lost his mind in that other dimension and had delusions of a weird, but happy ending.
Interesting view on the ending, I never thought of anything like that.
In the game I thought the ending was a little too happy for my taste. Brink coming back to life seemed a little weird to me.
Edward van Helgen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #176
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
The ending was basically the same in both cases. Besides I don't have anything against there being a happy ending in The Dig. It's just that the one there created didn't seem convincing. Why did Boston didn't get trapped in the alien dimension again? Because he wasn't as intelligent as the aliens?
I didn't think the ending in the game was convincing either, but in the expanded version in the book, the reason that he didn't get trapped is very convincing.

The Cocytans tell him to become used to the dimension, because he's going to be there forever. He tells them that he's leaving, and they don't believe that he can.

He tells them that he can "see the exit right over there", and heads over to it and tells the Cocytans that if any of them want to leave, then follow him. A few hundred believe him, and head out, and then when the other Cocytans see them leave, they follow as well.

Boston has a different biology from the Cocytans. Because of this (and the fact that he can make out the tiny exit due to his experience in shuttle commanding, something most humans couldn't do even though they would have the right biological make up to physically see it), his eyes can see what theirs can't.

Last edited by Jenni; 08-22-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #177
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Man, David Foster Wallace was such a genius. This video is amazing, but if you're unfamiliar with him just listen to the first short piece which is about 8 minutes long.

View page
YouTube Video

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #178
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

So, what have you guys read lately?

I re-read excerpts from some childhood favourites today, and got washed by an unexpected and not-unwelcome wave of nostalgia. I suddenly felt very cold, sad and angry, and yet happy and grateful at once - the very definition of "bittersweet," although I can't tell which was which. These were the Harry Potter books, Nicholas Nickelby, A Christmas Carol, Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Winnie the Pooh.

I'm reading The Stand - very slowly, because it's freaking me out. A lot of the themes it explores are things that I think about on a daily basis - for example, how utterly ****ed I'd be if I ended-up in some remote area of the world and been told to survive on my own (I'd be dead 15 minutes in), and this book takes those fears and just runs with them. I think I'll be reading something a bit more light-hearted next...Still another 600 pages to go.

Last edited by Kroms; 10-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #179
Icebox
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Man Country
Alternating between The Iliad and Haruhi Suzumiya in Original Japanese. I can't understand it yet, but sooner or later those classes will pay off. And Fagles' translation of Ilium is just unreal. It's probably the greatest thing ever written, no lie. Even the boring parts are beautiful and entertaining. Homer remains genius.

Let's Kick Some ICE!
Icebox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #180
Haggis
Mojorator

Again I've been mostly listening to audiobooks... recently 'The Mysterious Mr. Quin' by Agatha Christie, which is a really interesting book. Quite different from her usual murder mysteries; it's very mysterious in itself. Also, I'm working my way through the audiobook of Don Quixote.

As for reading, mostly study books, but not anymore. I've decided to quit studying shortly after starting the Research Master. I'd much rather be doing things, writing for actual people, than sit in an ivory tower looking down on everybody and enjoying the company of my fellow know-it-alls.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #181
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

I utterly love The Stand. It (the one with Pennywise) is still my favourite Stephen King (which I've got a signed hardback copy of!), but The Stand is a close second.

At the moment I'm reading the new Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy novel, And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. I'm still morally disgusted by the whole idea, but I can't deny that he's (so far) done a pretty good job. He's no Douglas Adams of course, but he's got the style right, is both entertaining and occasionally funny, and doesn't keep reusing stuff from the other books. That's the best I could've hoped for. Although I still would've preferred it not to exist at all, now that its out there, I'm happy with it.

So far.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #182
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

I'm looking for suggestions on a good adventure novel. I don't know what I mean exactly, but something that's, well, an adventure. Where you feel scared for the characters but feel completely engrossed in the story.

I ordered On Stranger Tides, but any more suggestions would be great. I'm thinking of things like Harry Potter, Bone, Peter Pan, maybe the bigger Sherlock Holmes novels, the first His Dark Materials book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler View Post
I utterly love The Stand. It (the one with Pennywise) is still my favourite Stephen King (which I've got a signed hardback copy of!), but The Stand is a close second.
It's finally gotten to the point where I see how the different threads will converge. I'm still around 600 pages in, but yeah: great story at work here, even if it is scaring me a tad bit more than books usually do. A while back I got past the point where
spoiler:
Mark dies because of his swollen appendix; it captured everything that freaks me out about a post-apocalyptic/pre-modern ages world

I have It in my closet, but since I could do with less freaking out I'll wait before I get around to reading, uh...it.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #183
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

I think I've suggested them before, but either Joe Abercrombie starting with The Blade Itself, or my new personal favourite author Scott Lynch starting with The Lies of Locke Lamora. If you can get past the first chapter of that book and not be hooked I'll be very, very surprised.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #184
scabb
zo

"The Stand" is my favourite Stephen King book by far. After that, I remember happily reading through four or five more Stephen King novels before I realised they were all pretty much the same. "It" would have been better if it weren't for the ending, Pennywise is one of the creepiest bad-guys ever.

I am currently burning through the Dresden Files, which are very good. Not exactly high literature, and Jim Butcher maybe isn't as funny as he thinks he is, but I love the world that he's created, and I've been finishing most of the novles in a few sittings. I'd recommend them, anyway. Start with book #3, though, the first two are pretty standalone and not the best in the series.
scabb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #185
Haggis
Mojorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroms View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on a good adventure novel. I don't know what I mean exactly, but something that's, well, an adventure. Where you feel scared for the characters but feel completely engrossed in the story.

I ordered On Stranger Tides, but any more suggestions would be great. I'm thinking of things like Harry Potter, Bone, Peter Pan, maybe the bigger Sherlock Holmes novels, the first His Dark Materials book.
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, The Lost World by Michael Crichton... those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #186
Edward van Helgen
Rookie

I just read On Stranger Tides and it was great. I certainly hope the new PotC movie is gonna be based on this book, I loved it.

It had a lot of adventure, voodoo and hot smelling iron in the story. I mean, if a book has those three things it just has to be a great book.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #187
purple_tentacle_

I read a book about the Navajo Indians in world war II that was pretty good. It was small. I was waiting for the dentist didnt get to finish it I was about half way through it. It was an Elementary book but pretty good. More of a interesting book wouldnt buy it though.

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #188
LordTrilobite

I'm in the process of reading a series about a sort of private detective in ancient rome by Steven Saylor.
They're rather good.

LordTrilobite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #189
Nickelstein

Current Game: OPF,HL2,Bioshock
All Quiet On the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (best war novel of all time)
Hitler Youth by Suszana Bertinullio
I'm also reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (spelling)

"Excuse me sir on behalf of the Internets I must ask you to GTFO and take your FAIL with you. Thank you and please STFU on your way out"
Nickelstein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2009, 02:17 AM   #190
Snugglecakes

Current Game: Mata Hari
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown has just been obliterated in 3 days.

Before that Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (no... really. It's terrific. One of the best books I've ever read.)

Next up: On Stranger Tides, and it's about time I got to it.

I'm also slowly getting through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, although this is more a sort of chapter-at-a-time thing.
Snugglecakes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #191
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

Current Game: Snatcher
I'm not sure if it counts as a book, but it definitely has great literary value. I recently read Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Enjoyed it a lot, the very best of Frank Miller and probably the best Batman story I've seen so far (including movies, series and what have you).

I'm currently (slowly) reading:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier (the oddest, format-wise, of the series so far. If you enjoy 19th century english literature, you should check LoEG out)
Understanding Comics (the comic book bible)
God's Debris (this thing bends my mind)

Oh, I also very quickly finished The Gashlycrumb Tinies. It is delightful and perfect for halloween.

Valkian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 AM   #192
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkian View Post

Oh, I also very quickly finished The Gashlycrumb Tinies. It is delightful and perfect for halloween.
Here you go. Wish I could turn off the music, but at least it fits.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #193
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

You can actually turn it off at the bottom.
Funny, but I think I'll stick with the motionless book...

Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #194
Shmargin

I just started reading The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm on book 6, and so far, I'm into it. I like the style alot. A shame the author died before finishing the series, hopefully the new guy does a good job.

This series very well could have been mentioned elsewhere in the thread above me....There you go.
Shmargin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #195
Huz
Coconut in the lime

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward van Helgen View Post
I just read On Stranger Tides and it was great. I certainly hope the new PotC movie is gonna be based on this book, I loved it.

It had a lot of adventure, voodoo and hot smelling iron in the story. I mean, if a book has those three things it just has to be a great book.
You should have a look at The Anubis Gates by the same bloke. It's got the same classic qualities wrapped up in an even better story!

"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #196
Edward van Helgen
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
You should have a look at The Anubis Gates by the same bloke. It's got the same classic qualities wrapped up in an even better story!
Thanks man, I think I'll check that one out!

The seas and the weathers are what is;
your vessels adapt to them or sink.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #197
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

So, what have you guys read recently? I only finished The Princess Bride in the last few months, which is somehow both a very funny satire of swashbuckling adventures, and an excellent example of swashbuckling adventures. It's probably one of my new favorite books.

I'm reading The Dead Zone (Stephen King). It's good, but the story's not the kind you have to read on a daily basis to remember. I won't be picking it up again until Tuesday, for example, but I will probably remember everything that's happened before. That doesn't happen very often.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #198
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
"arguing with idiots" by Glenn Beck.

I find him interesting and some of his ideas are great imho.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #199
Haggis
Mojorator

I've just finished a collection of Pushkin stories (Dubrovsky, The Queen of Spades, The Squire's Daughter, The Blizzard, and the sadly unfinished Peter the Great's Negro). Highly enjoyable, especially if you like romantic stories. Now I've started in Gogol's Dead Souls, which I find quite hilarious already.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #200
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

I'm currently reading volume one of Eastman and Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (in other words, the very first ninja turtles) and it is as entertaining as it is disturbing. If TMNT was as much a part of your childhood as it was of mine, then you should check it out. The quality of it is certainly questionable, but it is very interesting nonetheless.

You can read it online for free, over here.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > Read any good books lately?