lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Combat Simulation Arena v4
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #81
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi
It happens after I click the armband itself and it goes into the loading screen. Once I go there it crashes. It's like it starts to load you back to where you were but can't remember?

Would that be it? Somehow it's not saving the "original" spot you came from and when you hit it again to go back it crashes?
It crashes directly when you reach the load screen, or does the progress bar move a bit before it happens?

As for losing track of the module you came from... I don't think that would be the reason, however there is a fairly easy way to find out: Move the st_arenaband.ncs file in your override folder somewhere else, download the attached zip-file and unpack the st_arenaband.ncs file inside it into your override folder.

This is an altered version of the armband warp script that, when activated within the arena, won't warp you out, but rather display the name of the module it would have warped you to on screen. Run it and see if it prints out the name of the module you came from. The box that appears on screen should say:
Armband warp destination: followed by the name of the module.

Quote:
As soon as it reaches the load screen and starts to load every time at the same point. I'll finish up my ito wrap and then go ahead and replace the file and see what I come up with. I'll post my findings for you in a bit.
You are too fast for your own good. I accidentally attached the wrong version of the script. The post was only up for like 30 seconds before I discovered my mistake, but you had already seen it by then. Get the one below instead, that should work.

EDIT: Uploaded the wrong script.
Attached Files
File Type: zip debugscript.zip (824 Bytes, 100 views)

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #82
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

It located the "dan" module that I warped from so nope not the problem it remembered it perfectly.

This is REALLY annoying me as it's prob. the funnest mod we've had on these boards and I can't play the stupid thing...lol Well I can BUT it doesn't matter due to the crash out on exit.

It might really be another mod problem. I tell you what I'll see if it's on this pc I"m on right now and if it's not i'll install TSL then the mod ONLY and see if it happens again.

General Kenobi

EDIT: I replaced the file you gave me with the original then loaded the game again. It let me go into the arena then out again back to dantoonie. I was amazed. Then I tried it again and it errored out 1/2 way through loading the arena to go back into it.

MY SITE: Okinawa Outpost
Gilliam Forums
Ikanaru hito demo sonke suru koto
Yakusoku o yaburanai koto
Hito o on****su shinai koto
Hito ni tai****e omoiyari o motsu koto
General Kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #83
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
It located the "dan" module that I warped from so nope not the problem it remembered it perfectly.

This is REALLY annoying me as it's prob. the funnest mod we've had on these boards and I can't play the stupid thing...lol Well I can BUT it doesn't matter due to the crash out on exit.
If you use the warp console command to exit the arena rather than the armband, does it work then or does it still crash the same way?

Also, if you enter the arena, save the game, quit TSL, restart TSL and load the savegame from the arena and then try to leave the Arena, will it still crash?

The reason I was curious how far on the load screen it got was to determine if it crashes while unloading the Arena or while loading the destination module.

Quote:
It might really be another mod problem. I tell you what I'll see if it's on this pc I"m on right now and if it's not i'll install TSL then the mod ONLY and see if it happens again.
It would be very helpful if you could test it without any other mods installed. That way the possibility of a mod conflict could be eliminated.

I have checked through the Arena area files again just in case, but I can't spot anything that looks out of the ordinary. That doesn't necessarily mean there is no problems there since arena/module editing isn't my strong point, though. But it's very odd that it only crashes for some people while others seem to have no problems.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #84
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

OK Stoffe this post might wander or ramble as I'm typing it over a good while.

ENTER ARENA/SAVE GAME/ EXIT "Then load game and exit over and over and over from the arena"

This method produced NO crash results as I have exited back and forth from arena to starting point once the above senario loads with NO crashes. (Stoffe wonder if there's some type of "tmp" files involved?)

Also just tested the same above and got ready to fight (enemy coming at me) and I hit the wrist console. It warped me. I ran down (did something) and fought a duel with bao dur really quick and warped back out. Warped in and out 2 more times in a row after that.

Whatever it is, it is solved in the "saved game" where your in the module and then you save it. Mine works as long as I load that save game (quick save).

Correction. The last time I went out on the last time I tried to "exit" the console. Stoffe it stopped if you divide the status bar into 8th's at 7/8th's loaded. So if your saying first half of load bar is exit, next half is entry back to starting point then thats where it crashed.

Let me know what you think.

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums
Old 03-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #85
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
ENTER ARENA/SAVE GAME/ EXIT "Then load game and exit over and over and over from the arena"
This method produced NO crash results as I have exited back and forth from arena to starting point once the above senario loads with NO crashes. (Stoffe wonder if there's some type of "tmp" files involved?)
Very strange, I think that would suggest it's some kind of memory/resource allocation error, but I can't see why that would just happen with this one module.

The Arena module uses no other temporary files than any other module in the game does (i.e. the savegame is unpacked into a gameinprogress folder).

Hmm, have you tried the turret mini-games in the Hutt's room? Does it crash when those load (since they are in separate modules) or do they load properly?

I have no idea what could cause this, my only guesses are some weird conflict with another mod, or that there is something about the area that nVidia graphics cards don't like. Is anyone else with an nVidia card using this mod but aren't experiencing any crashes on exit?

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 03-17-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #86
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

Hey Stoffe

Well I do know that Nvidia graphics cards have some issues with some things we do for sure. One really good example is the standard hilts in the Holowan Plugin for TSL that Darkkender did. The hilts he used from a modder display fine on a ATI card but on an Nvidia don't show up at all other than being "silvery".

That one was due to the graphics cards from Nvidia not liking the lopsided tga files. Meaning they were (say) 512x234. The odd shape wouldn't allow them to display correctly. If you turned them into 512x512 they'd show up fine.

That never made any sense to me either but it was a problem nevertheless.

ALSO, I'll do what I said up there earlier. Today (since I love this mod so good) I'm gonna wipe off TSL off of this tower machine I'm on now and go ahead and reinstall TSL with only the Combat Arena installed. Then I'm gonna test the crap out of it and see if it happens again.

I don't know why though but I "feel" you hit on something with the memory resources though. I read through the "error reports" that your pc wants to send Microsoft and that's what it said. The errors were "memory kernal" or whatever type errors.

It will take me several hours to reinstall TSL and test it for you but I'll do it today. I'll post my info for you this evening.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE!!!
Guys/Gals anyone else out there with varying graphics cards that have this problem should let Stoffe know. That way she can rule out an Nvidia card problem if you have a HooJoo graphics card or whatever and it happens to you as well.

EDIT: Stoffe, OK I tried it out over and over with a bunch of senarios. Taking items not taking items back and forth. Fighting or not fighting. Talking or no talking. No touching doors or touching doors. Several things

It went in and out of the arena normally every single time over and over. This would make me think its a mod conflict of sorts.

What about this though??? Is there a file somewhere that has say a master listing of all possible inventory items and maybe something in the game "checks" this and every once in a while when it runs on a funky high powered custom made item (mod) that it crashes cause it's not "standard" for the game?

Anywho, that's what I found, It never crashed no matter what I did.

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums

Last edited by General Kenobi; 03-17-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #87
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
I tried it out over and over with a bunch of senarios. Taking items not taking items back and forth. Fighting or not fighting. Talking or no talking. No touching doors or touching doors. Several things

It went in and out of the arena normally every single time over and over. This would make me think its a mod conflict of sorts.
If the problem has gone away completely when you removed your other mods it sounds a lot like it could have been caused by a mod conflict. Finding out which one and why would unfortunately be a lot harder. The only way I can think of would be to re-install the other mods one at a time and see if the crashes return between each. That is an obscene amount of work however if you have many mods installed, so it's not exactly something that's a real option.

Unless you intend to reinstall all the mods anyway. Then it could probably be useful to install a few at a time and check things out in-between.

Quote:
What about this though??? Is there a file somewhere that has say a master listing of all possible inventory items and maybe something in the game "checks" this and every once in a while when it runs on a funky high powered custom made item (mod) that it crashes cause it's not "standard" for the game?
Not that I know of, beyond the UTIs listed in templates.bif, the modules and the override folder. If the crashing is caused by items it'd probably be textures or models, since those take up more memory. If you don't have a lot of RAM in your computer it's possible the game runs out of memory and crashes. But that's not very likely since it only happened with this one area.

Unfortunately the cause of this kind of errors is very hard to predict.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #88
RevanSpawn
Lurker

Confused...

How do I go about installing the Arena v.03 mod?

I ran the installer and got no probs ...then what next?

I started the game and could make the armband but the loading screen will get jammed halfway and kotor2 needs to be closed...

I think the mod is cool n i cant w8 to play it so pls help me those who know how..
RevanSpawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #89
Darth333
Administraterror

Is your game in English? This mod was made for the Enlgish version of TSL.

Also make sure that the .mod files are located in the modules folder and not the override folder.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #90
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanSpawn
How do I go about installing the Arena v.03 mod?

I ran the installer and got no probs ...then what next?

I started the game and could make the armband but the loading screen will get jammed halfway and kotor2 needs to be closed...

I think the mod is cool n i cant w8 to play it so pls help me those who know how..
I bet this is the same problem Stoffe and I were talking about a page or so ago in the thread. I tried trouble shooting for Stoffe to no avail. It seems to work fine as long as you are light on the installed mods side. I'm full so it does just what your experiencing for me too.

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums
Old 04-19-2006, 05:20 AM   #91
RevanSpawn
Lurker

I'm willing to reinstall the game if i can get this mod installed...
I just want to know that if running the installer is the only thing i must do.
RevanSpawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #92
General Kenobi
Guardian of The Force

Ooh then yep Just run the installer and it works like a charm as long as your mod free. Or you might try installing this first then other mods over it.

Hope that helps a bit,

General Kenobi

Gilliam Forums
Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #93
DarthMaul v.1/2
Banned

Location: The bottom of that well, inside the Naboo Royal Palace- I converted it to a decent 1/2 flat...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanSpawn
I'm willing to reinstall the game if i can get this mod installed...
I just want to know that if running the installer is the only thing i must do.
HEY RevanSpawn! I just happened to be in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by to offer my experience as an example (and FIX - kinda -) with stoffe's Combat Simulation Arena (1 of my top 10 favorites!). I personally have several MODs - around 40 or so active on my current savegame of TSL. That probably isn't that uncommon, except all mine are installed with out the benefit of KotOR Tool, I only recently got it to work properly because of a problem with my comp.

I also had something similar to what you're saying happen in my game, here are a few tricks to try:

- I would first of all run the CSA MOD auto-installer LAST, after all other MODs have been installed --- this will ensure another MOD isn't overwriting all or part of CSA MOD.

- Next, are you 'cheating' the CSA armband in using tk102's KSE savegame editor? If you are, then IF you did overwrite part of CSA MOD with another MOD you may have installed AFTER CSA was already there, and you re-installed the CSA MOD (like I suggested above), the NEW version of CSA MOD would mean you would have to remove the 'old' CSA armband from your inventory screen in KSE. Once the 'old' armband is removed from KSE inventory (will cause the item to appear in red text on KSE inventory screen), and you have the CSA MOD re-installed and not overwritten by another MOD, return to KSE and re- 'cheat' the NEW CSA armband in to your inventory (now CSA armband will appear in blue text on KSE inventory) --- and if you don't already have tk102's KSE, stop what you're doing and get it!

- Now here is a sure-fire way to get CSA accessible: 1) Make sure you have stoffe-mkb- Combat Simulation Arena MOD installed in TSL (the auto-installer- aKa 'TSLPatcher' - should just have you point it to your SWKotOR2 game directory, located in your 'program' files under the LucasArts sub-folder, and it will do the rest (say 'Thank you stoffe!' )--- 2) Once CSA is installed, go to any of ChAiNz.2da's posts and follow his link to TSL Hak Pad and the 2 TSL Hak Pad booster MODs. If you already have TSL Hak Pad MODs, notice in the README's that in order to access other similar MODs (like CSA and defender's wristconsole 1.9), that those MODs should be installed FIRST, and then install TSL Hak Pad. When you access TSL Hak Pad during gameplay (TSL Hak Pad shows up in the action menu at the bottom, where shields, med-pacs, stims,etc... show up). TSL Hak Pad appears as a shield in this menu--- simply scroll up or down on the shield slot of the action menu until you find 'Hak Pad' (if you are equipping a shield or something similar in-game). Click on the Hak Pad to activate it and you should find the option screen to launch CSA or wristconsole 1.9 --- or similar MODs--- choose to launch 'Combat Simulation Arena' from the selection(s) on this screen in Hak Pad and --- BAM! --- Instant Hutt-slug gladiator colosseum death matches! I personally return here frequently to further eviscerate Darth Sion --- ever since the cutscene on Korriban where I had to 'run away' from the fight in the hidden tomb with Sion, I frequently like to punish him for that outrage!

Anyways, I am SURE that if you don't mind running CSA through the TSL Hak Pad, you will be able to go merrily on your way, slaughtering foes and weaklings in the pits of the Arena! Just follow what I said about the Hak Pad and you'll be good to go, with whatever other MODs you have that may be interferring!

TSL Hak Pad, and booster's 1 and 2 for it are also available(for now!) at www.pcgamemods.com

I hope this 'fixes' it for you, CSA is a very cool MOD! Also, if you want to know specifics on CSA, try addressing stoffe-mkb- , she's the one that brought us CSA (among other great things!), and is usually not to hard to find around here.
DarthMaul v.1/2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #94
Darth Manus
Rookie

I have the same crash problem when I try to warp out of the arena with the armband. I tried cutting the Override folder, pasting it on another location, and then reinstalling the mods one by one. It seemed to work fine, until I reinstalled the Prestige Item Pack co-created by RedHawke & maverick187. Incidentally, the mod manager I'm using always says that some mods (Revan's Robes and said Prestige Item Pack) are KOTOR I mods, even though they obviously aren't. It's rather annoying. Besides, I've noticed that some of those mods have incompatible itemcreate.d2a files, and I'm not sure how to merge the data in them to avoid conflicts.

I hope the problems in this thing will get solved soon. This made me want to go back to KOTOR II. I was getting sick of downloading character models and skins for Jedi Academy, only to find that some of them were faulty and messing up the game. I'm really not in the mood for reinstalling the game and deleting files every time that happens. Once the KOTOR II Restoration Project is complete, I get the feeling I'll be playing even more. The High-Level powers mod also makes it more interesting.

Kudos on the great work so far.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #95
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Just for some clarification... you want Mr.Defender's Wrist Console to access the Combat Simulation Arena

The Hak Pad won't acces it (mainly because I'm too lazy to update it, and Mr. Defender already did a fantastic job with his mod)..

Get The Wrist Console Here:
http://jediarchives.ca/

Check out the Defender's Mods link to the left for the download

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #96
Darth Manus
Rookie

I haven't tried the wrist console yet, because I knew I'd probably feel tempted to abuse it a bit... Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Well, this looks interesting and nicely done, but how do I add the Arena to the mod slots?

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.

Last edited by Darth Manus; 04-28-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #97
DarthMaul v.1/2
Banned

Location: The bottom of that well, inside the Naboo Royal Palace- I converted it to a decent 1/2 flat...
Cool Guy RE: Combat Simulation Arena Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Manus
I haven't tried the wrist console yet, because I knew I'd probably feel tempted to abuse it a bit... Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Well, this looks interesting and nicely done, but how do I add the Arena to the mod slots?
Hey there, Darth Manus!

Duh! Thanks ChAiNz! I completely forgot how I had my CSA/mrdefenders/Hak-Pad set-up in my game - you've succesfully jogged my memory! However, I could not get CSA to launch thru only mrdefenders wristconsole 1.9, I found that I needed both the wristconsole 1.9 and TSL Hak-Pad to get the CSA to launch properly: you need to first have wristconsole 1.9 installed, then you need to have CSA installed, and finally install TSL Hak-Pad - you should now be able to do like I first posted and select the TSL Hak-Pad in game , now in the 'launch other MODs' screen CSA should appear and be fully accessible - REMEMBER to remove the 'old' armbands from your inventory and cheat the new one's in via KSE (like I described in my first post) - now you should be good to go!

If this is not clear enough, or it just doesn't work, drop me a PM and I will verify thru my savegame that I gave you the proper instruction, as CSA is working properly on my game.

Hope this helps!

- DM.005
DarthMaul v.1/2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #98
Darth Manus
Rookie

I'll try that as soon as possible. With all that combined material, maybe now I can create a character that will toast the end bosses in one or two rounds. XD Now I just wish I could understand why I get an error on explorer.exe sometimes when I open the game while I have a folder open. Must be another of WinXP's random quirks.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 AM   #99
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMaul v.1/2
However, I could not get CSA to launch thru only mrdefenders wristconsole 1.9, I found that I needed both the wristconsole 1.9 and TSL Hak-Pad to get the CSA to launch properly
Huh? I have no idea why it would work to launch it if you have those installed, but get crashes if you have not. As far as I know the wristconsole just runs the impact script of the Arena Simulator armband that comes with the CSArena mod to begin with. (I have neither the wristconsole or hackpad installed, since I have my own "debugging power" that does essentially the same, and the armband works just as intended to enter/leave the Arena.)

I strongly suspect this crashing is due to some weird conflict with some mod I don't have installed. I've never experienced any crashes or freezes when entering or leaving the Arena area, so I can't do much about it. I can't fix a problem that doesn't exist on my end.

I can't imagine what type of conflict that'd be though. The only thing I can think of would be if you use another mod that overwrites the appearance.2da or globalcat.2da files after the Arena mod is installed. Or if you have some mod that places a file with the same name in the override folder as one that exists inside the st_arena.mod file.

If you really want to use the Arena mod the only thing I can suggest is to wipe out all mods and then reinstall them one at a time to figure out which one is causing problems with the Arena. That's a big lot of dreary work though if you have many mods installed, and probably not worth the effort.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #100
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, just installed the hakpad and the upgrade. I'll see if it works now.

EDIT: That seems to have done the trick. I used KSE to give my character the hakpad, then built the Combat Simulation armband and opened the mod by using the Integrated Mod commands in Defender's Wrist Console. Using this method, I've finally been able to enter and leave the Arena without the game crashing.

Last edited by Darth Manus; 04-29-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #101
Theylas
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe -mkb-
I'm starting to suspect something like that too. I've pulled the mod apart and checked everything and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. I even made a small utility that scanned all the Resrefs in all files and compared them against the Override content in case I missed something, but still nothing showed up.

Unless someone has any ideas of what's going on I'm going to leave it at this for now. I can't fix a problem I can't reproduce or find any trace of.

I guess there will always be problems, no matter what precautions you take.
The biggest problem I run into on a regular basis is that if I duel a character with a certain character, for example, carth vs. HK-47, if I lose when I try to do the duel again from the computer, the game freezes. Also, now it has gotten to the point where I can't even access it without the game crashing. Weird... Happens on both of my computers, which are up to date.
Theylas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #102
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theylas
The biggest problem I run into on a regular basis is that if I duel a character with a certain character, for example, carth vs. HK-47, if I lose when I try to do the duel again from the computer, the game freezes. Also, now it has gotten to the point where I can't even access it without the game crashing. Weird... Happens on both of my computers, which are up to date.
Are you using the Exile/Main character to access the terminal? I've noticed that some things get messed up if you use other characters to access the arena controller terminal. I've fixed it in my own version so the main character is always the user no matter who clicks it, but it felt like overkill to upload a new version with just such a minor change.

If that's not the problem, you could try to remove the Arena area from the Savegame and then re-enter and see if the escalating crashes stop. If they do, then something probably gets set improperly under some circumstances, and it'd be something concrete I could try to look into.

To remove the Arena area from the savegame, first make sure you have no items stored in that area that you wish to keep, and make sure your party is not presently in that area. Then open the SAVEGAME.SAV file with an ERF editor and delete the st_arena.sav file inside it, and save the changes.

The next time you re-enter the Arena area a new instance of it will be spawned, rather than re-using the one from the savegame, which should reset any settings stored in that area module.

Seems like I'm the only one who doesn't experience any problems with this Mod. Makes it kind of hard to do any debugging.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #103
Darth Manus
Rookie

Incidentally, Darth Traya is even tougher in the arena than in the Trayus Core. I've seen her knock the Handmaiden out with a single Force Crush. Definitely a challenge. I'm glad I took the time to install the high-level powers mod.

Well, crashes aside, it seems the armband is displaying the correct destination modules after I've put that debug file in the override folder... but now I have to install that mod again, because I thought it was another fix, and I forgot to backup the original file.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #104
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Incidentally, Darth Traya is even tougher in the arena than in the Trayus Core. I've seen her knock the Handmaiden out with a single Force Crush. Definitely a challenge. I'm glad I took the time to install the high-level powers mod.
This is more or less intended, depending on the level of your party and what gear your group has. I tried to make some of the harder fights a lot harder than those available in the standard game, so you'll actually have to use all buff/defense force powers, grenades, shields, stims etc at your disposal. The Resurrection force powers are pretty much useless in the standard game, but quite useful during some of the harder non-duel fights in the Arena to keep your party going.

Quote:
Well, crashes aside, it seems the armband is displaying the correct destination modules after I've put that debug file in the override folder... but now I have to install that mod again, because I thought it was another fix, and I forgot to backup the original file.
If you only replaced the st_arenaband.ncs script with another (and not the st_arenaband.UTI or spells.2da) you shouldn't have to reinstall the whole mod. It should be enough to copy that file from the tslpatchdata folder of the installer to your override folder. The impact script isn't modified by the installer so it should work fine to do so.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:05 AM   #105
Lit Ridl

ONE OF THE BEST MODS FOR TSL ! ! !
VERY, VERY COOL MOD STOFFE ! ! ! WE ALL LOVE YOUR MODS ! ! !

Sorry me, but I have to turn down creatures AI. They are too powerful. I think it is problem with 50 sith, that they appearsby one, it'll be easier to kill them all (force storm=drain life). Do you agree with changing you mod? Those droids have killed me from 5-7 seconds (I was level 7 jedi comsular with lightsaber). All enemies are strong, eah. But when I meetes dark clones of myself and my party members I was shocked!!! (I was level 50 jedi master, all party members were jedis). If I haven't equiped on me Mrdefenders wrist console and good NI (Natural Intellect) (I hided in the corner where enemies are going from and revive my party after every two hits of my dark clone (He has 350-430 damage!)). In other mod is cool, very good work Stoffe! Your High Level Force Powers are very good balanced with your combat arena 3. I think it will be good idea to combine them. May be to make glass (where spectators are) transparent? It is difficult to watch through Force vision and red screen. aND ONE BUG: sometimes, when I am tring to teleport back in module I have played in game crashes.
Lit Ridl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2006, 06:11 AM   #106
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Ridl
I have to turn down creatures AI. They are too powerful. I think it is problem with 50 Sith, that they appears by one, it'll be easier to kill them all (force storm=drain life).
The Gauntlet matches are meant to be endurance fights where the opponents try to wear you down by coming at you in waves. It is probably one of the hardest game forms unless your party members are built and equipped to hold their own, and you don't have any of the "resurrection" force powers. But if you use shields, stims and grenades, conveniently provided by the Trandoshan trader in one of the side rooms, you should be able to make it through.

Quote:
Those droids have killed me from 5-7 seconds (I was level 7 jedi comsular with lightsaber). All enemies are strong, eah. But when I meetes dark clones of myself and my party members I was shocked!!! (I was level 50 jedi master, all party members were jedis).
Due to the base setup of most opponents level 7 might be a bit too low to have a fair chance in most matches. Not impossible, but the odds won't be in your favor. While the enemies scale in level and power with your character, their force powers, weapons and feats do not. Level 15-30 is probably the optimal range for arena fights, after which enemies may start to become more difficult again due to how the game's Autobalancer works (since their weapon damage, attack and defense and saves go up with your level).

The Evil Twin party can be quite tricky depending on how your main character is made, since the Mirror Exile has the same set of feats and force powers as your Exile has, and has the same equipment as you have (within the limits of the scripting language). If you feel like cheating you can exploit this fact by unequipping all weapons and armor on the Exile before starting a match against the Evil Twin party, as this would leave you fighting against a naked clone of your Exile.

Quote:
AND ONE BUG: sometimes, when I am tring to teleport back in module I have played in game crashes.
Yes, the elusive crash bug that everyone but me seems to get on occasion. Very hard to do something about since the mod works fine and never crashes on my own computer, so I don't know where to start looking for that problem. I suspect it's a conflict with some other Mod that I don't have installed but many other people have, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 AM   #107
Dirtnose
Rookie

Im Speachless
Dirtnose is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2006, 04:30 AM   #108
Lit Ridl

Quote:
The Gauntlet matches are meant to be endurance fights where the opponents try to wear you down by coming at you in waves. It is probably one of the hardest game forms unless your party members are built and equipped to hold their own, and you don't have any of the "resurrection" force powers. But if you use shields, stims and grenades, conveniently provided by the Trandoshan trader in one of the side rooms, you should be able to make it through.
Ok, my force greanade looks really effective, even overpowered, but that is easy now!!!

Quote:
The Evil Twin party can be quite tricky depending on how your main character is made, since the Mirror Exile has the same set of feats and force powers as your Exile has, and has the same equipment as you have (within the limits of the scripting language). If you feel like cheating you can exploit this fact by unequipping all weapons and armor on the Exile before starting a match against the Evil Twin party, as this would leave you fighting against a naked clone of your Exile.
Ok, may I use your cloning script, please?
And thanks for the best mods for KII:TSL (High Level Force Powers, Combat Sim Arena)!!!

Will there be any update of YOUR mod, STOFFE?

Last edited by Lit Ridl; 09-30-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Lit Ridl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #109
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Combat Simulation Arena v4 released.

I have now uploaded version 4 of the Combat Simulation Arena mod. It contains a couple of new game variants, some new enemies and various improvements. The download link is in the first post in this thread.

If you have version 3 installed already you should be able to install version 4 on top of it without problem. Version 4 uses a new arena module to make it compatible with savegames where you have already been inside the arena area previously. So, if you've stored any items in the containers in the arena area, pick them up before installing version 4.

Quick installation instruction:
  1. Unzip the content of CSArena4.zip somewhere on your harddrive (NOT inside the override folder!)
  2. Run the CSArena4.exe 7zip self-extractor to unpack the mod somewhere on your harddrive (still NOT inside the override folder!)
  3. In the CSArena4 folder created by the self-extractor, locate and run the Install Arena.exe mod installer and run it.
  4. Read the installation instructions, then press the Install Mod button and wait while the installer works.
  5. Keep an eye on the installation summary to make sure no errors or warnings were encountered.

After you have installed, make sure there is no file named st_pitdooropen.ncs in your override folder. There shouldn't be one; the installer should have renamed it old_st_pitdooropen.ncs if it existed, but check just in case. I've had an odd report where the file still remained with the old name.

If you had CSArena3 installed, you can delete the file st_arena.mod from your Modules folder if you want. It is no longer used. (Do not delete any of the st_arena2.rim or st_arena2_s.rim files however, nor any of the st_turret1.mod or st_turret2.mod files. Those are still used by version 4.)

What's new in version 4?
  • New game type: Staged Pit Fight. It works like a normal pit fight, with the exception that you may compose your opponent force from all available arena combatants by picking them one at a time. Be warned that if you spawn too many enemies to fight at one time the game might slow down considerably.

• New game type: Tournament Ladder. A variant of duel matches where your selected character will fight 1 on 1 against a series of opponents in sequence with no pause in between each, starting out with weak enemies and them getting progressively more powerful. The Ladders are arranged after opponent categories, where you can fight against Jedi, Sith, Mercenaries, Droids or Beasts. If for example you pick the Sith ladder you start out fighting Assassins and work your way up to face the Dark Lord.

• Some new arena combatants to fight against, some with unique special abilities, most notably Revan and Malak.

• Tweaked the abilities and power of some combatants, and modified the group composition of some combatant groups.

• Added one more NPC match to bet on with the Hutt.

• Added an option to the arena control console to deactivate the force field in regular spectator matches if you'd rather see the action up-close than from the spectator galleries. This option will not be available on Betting matches arranged by the Hutt though to prevent you from interfering with the fight to tilt the odds in your favor.

• Some further tweaks and improvements to the NPC combat AI.

• Various tweaks and bugfixes to the Arena and AI, too numerous and too minor to mention.

• Added 10 seconds of invulnerability at the start of turret games to avoid being ganged up on before gaining your bearings.

• NPC combatants with high dexterity, awareness and not using a rifle may attempt an evasive roll move to dodge grenades being lobbed at or near them by other NPCs. (Due to game engine limitations they won't be able to "see" if the player controlled character throws grenades at them though.)

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 10-14-2006 at 05:45 PM. Reason: i cnat spel...
Old 10-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #110
yohan
Rookie

~
Great update! Got to love those Sith Lords :P

Quote:
  • Added an option to the arena control console to deactivate the force field in regular spectator matches if you'd rather see the action up-close than from the spectator galleries. This option will not be available on Betting matches arranged by the Hutt though to prevent you from interfering with the fight to tilt the odds in your favor.
Aww...too bad about the betting matches, although this means I can stop using Darth333's armband to open the forcefield.
~

---------------------

Sanity is NOT a state of mind!!! It is a DISEASE!!!
yohan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #111
Niftyeye

Exclamation

Looks like a great mod stoffe, I loved the previous versions, but I got a problem: Error: unhandled exception cannot creat file "C:\program files\Lucasarts\SWkotOR2\dialog.tlk". Acess is denied (o)
I had to write this out manually, cause it wudent let me copy and paste, I dont know how to get by this problem, I had your version 2 (I think it was number 2) installed, then I unistalled KOTOR then reinstalled a few months later, the mods I had installed: Skip Peragus, Simulator, HAK pad were still on the game I think, should I do a clean wipe and then reinstall it altogether? any help would be appriciated.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, it seems to install fine now i dont know why or how, anyway sorry for wasting 2 minutes of ur life by reading the post above :P

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 10-08-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Niftyeye is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #112
Niftyeye

Thumbs up

Quote:
Added an option to the arena control console to deactivate the force field in regular spectator matches if you'd rather see the action up-close than from the spectator galleries. This option will not be available on Betting matches arranged by the Hutt though to prevent you from interfering with the fight to tilt the odds in your favor.

What do you mean by 'Tilt the odds in your favour'? is it possible to attack the enemies while they busily duke it out with the other side? I had a blast watching the fights up close , AWESOME MOD stoffe, it is incredible! did you just mean tilt the odds in favour by obstructing the enemies?

I loved the new game modes, mainly because it offered something you could work for, I was glade i could customize the side i was fighting, like 5 sith with a master and a couple of assasins worked well for me, something which would make me the happiest person alive would be able to give yourself allies so when u select staged pit battle after you have selected enemies, theres a allies section that appears on the arena pad as soon as you enter, that would be great, but apart from that, awesome mod, keep up the great work

Last edited by stoffe -mkb-; 10-08-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #113
stoffe
Network Caretaker

^^^ Yes, getting in the way of combatants was pretty much what I meant by that. If you actively prevent a melee brawler from reaching their ranged attacker target then you've rather significantly tipped the balance in that battle. Doesn't matter for normal spectator matches since you don't gain anything from those aside from entertainment, but when you are betting credits on the match the arena area is off-limits to prevent such cheating.

As for the dialog.tlk problem make sure you don't have the game or any modding tools running. If another application already has the dialog.tlk file open the installer probably won't be given write access to the file.

Regarding allies in pit fights it's on the todo-list. The arena scripting system already has had support for it from the beginning, it just has to be added to the control console dialog file so you can pick them (which is a bit of dreary work, and why it hasn't been done yet).

Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #114
Niftyeye

Quote:
^^^ Yes, getting in the way of combatants was pretty much what I meant by that. If you actively prevent a melee brawler from reaching their ranged attacker target then you've rather significantly tipped the balance in that battle. Doesn't matter for normal spectator matches since you don't gain anything from those aside from entertainment, but when you are betting credits on the match the arena area is off-limits to prevent such cheating.

As for the dialog.tlk problem make sure you don't have the game or any modding tools running. If another application already has the dialog.tlk file open the installer probably won't be given write access to the file.

Regarding allies in pit fights it's on the todo-list. The arena scripting system already has had support for it from the beginning, it just has to be added to the control console dialog file so you can pick them (which is a bit of dreary work, and why it hasn't been done yet).

Yea thats fine lol, Im just saying what I think would be a thing that would make me vote it the best mod ever, even though i already have lol, as for the other problem, thats sorted now, this really is the best mod iv ever seen, and im saying that from the top to bottom of my heart, brilliant job!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 PM   #115
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
THE. BEST. TSL MOD. EVER.

Enough said!

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #116
Hans Maulwurf
Lurker

Do you have to have the English version of TSL for this mod or would it also work with the german version?
Hans Maulwurf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #117
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Maulwurf
Do you have to have the English version of TSL for this mod or would it also work with the german version?
You'll have to either have the English version, or change the language setting of your game to English. Otherwise the dialogs and computer consoles will seemingly be blank, as will the names of most of the arena combatants.

The language setting is found in the dialog.tlk file, you can change it with TalkEd if you choose to go that route (File menu --> Set language). Note that this should not affect any text in the standard parts of the game, it should only affect mods to make your game read the English strings mods tend to use.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #118
Hans Maulwurf
Lurker

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick reply.
Hans Maulwurf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #119
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Thanks stoffe for the update to a great mod.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 AM   #120
Krony
Lurker

Question

Quote:
Thanks. Was this the first version of the mod you installed, or had you installed any of the test versions previously?

This is a very strange problem. I've checked through all the files and nothing appears to be missing from the module, and I've made sure I don't have anything in the override folder than the Arena area uses. I've downloaded and reinstalled the file from PCGM and everything works fine, but still at least 3 people experience crashes when the area loads. Gaah...

(Initially I suspected that I might have forgotten to remove an USM saber from one of the arena NPCs when I made the public version, but I've checked through all the templates and they only use standard game resources.)

Hey stoffe a little help plz i tried downloading it into my files just like the readme said but it says access denied when it tries to get into the dialog can u help me with this?

PS: i haven't loaded any other mods for tsl so far
Krony is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Taris Upper City Emporium > Combat Simulation Arena v4