lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #1241
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
You know when we will get news? When we stop looking for news, someone over at LucasArts will say, "Its coming!". That is when we will know. It allways happens when you stop looking.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #1242
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source View Post
I think there is going to be a 'KotOR III' and 'MMORPG' Old Republic game. It is just a matter of time when they will come up with an idea. Until we hear any news, we will just have to put up with the 'MMORPG' Old Republic game news.
I agree. I think '09 for the MMO, '10 for Kotor 3 by Obsidian.

Founder & PR of EUCantina.net -- All Expanded Universe, all the time
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #1243
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Skywalker15 View Post
I agree. I think '09 for the MMO, '10 for Kotor 3 by Obsidian.
Let's hope Obsidian has already started working on it then...

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #1244
gm5k
Rookie

id rather have Obsidian work on kotor III...i thought they had a lot of wonderful ideas that they just didn't have the proper time to implement as well as they could have.

replay value wise for me ill take TSL any day.
gm5k is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #1245
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
id rather have Obsidian work on kotor III...i thought they had a lot of wonderful ideas that they just didn't have the proper time to implement as well as they could have.
It's too bad most people are quick to put the blame on them without knowing the facts.

Quote:
replay value wise for me ill take TSL any day.
Meh, I'll agree with you once TSLRP comes out.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #1246
cire992

^ I agree. While I see a very powerful, compelling story in TSL, I see certainly don't feel like I saw all of it. Bioware's already getting a shot at a new title for the IP, it would be fantastic if Avellone and Obsidian got their's as well.

"My blasters are always set to stun, princess."
cire992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #1247
gm5k
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post

Meh, I'll agree with you once TSLRP comes out.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 AM   #1248
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Bioware's already getting a shot at a new title for the IP, it would be fantastic if Avellone and Obsidian got their's as well.

Indeed. Giving them enough time will create a smash hit game-- no doubt.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1249
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
So KOTOR III and the KOTOR MMO will be related but the not same thing?

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #1250
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Sharrak View Post
We hardly even know anything about the MMO, let alone the next installment in the series.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #1251
Rathoris
Rookie

am i the only person who disliked kotor2 for abandoning the classic star wars universe feeling and turning it into something the avarage emo-kid would have sex with?
Rathoris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #1252
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathoris View Post
am i the only person who disliked kotor2 for abandoning the classic star wars universe feeling and turning it into something the avarage emo-kid would have sex with?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Man_2423 View Post
We hardly even know anything about the MMO, let alone the next installment in the series.
Well, seeing as they're probably going to be calling it "The Old Republic", I think it's safe to say it's not K3.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #1253
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Well, seeing as they're probably going to be calling it "The Old Republic", I think it's safe to say it's not K3.
But just to be safe, we'll be careful and expect the worst.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #1254
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
But just to be safe, we'll be careful and expect the worst.
Even I'm not that pessimistic.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #1255
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Sharrak View Post
Nope, it can't be. It's under a different name copyright taken out by Lucasfilm. While it can be in the Kotor era, it's not going to be part of the prior video game series.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #1256
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Yes.
No he's not thats my main problem with TSL/avellone, It's just not Star Wars to me. It's like some self indulgent goth indy fan film, and someones dubbed in lightsabers.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 AM   #1257
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
No he's not thats my main problem with TSL/avellone, It's just not Star Wars to me. It's like some self indulgent goth indy fan film, and someones dubbed in lightsabers.
All Star Wars stories begin to look alike and it's boring. Avellone took another direction, did something different in the SW Universe, and that's why I love TSL. But let's not get ourselves into another endless discussion over this.

@JCarter426: I've learned that when it comes to LucasArts, pessimistic is the right approach.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #1258
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Quote:
am i the only person who disliked kotor2 for abandoning the classic star wars universe feeling of B-grade space opera and turning it into something the avarage emo-kid would have sex with?
Fixed

My 'KotOR II: TSL' mods: | Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox | WIP: | M4-78 Enhancement Project | :: visit our official website ::

- Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today! -
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #1259
JCarter426

Quote:
All Star Wars stories begin to look alike and it's boring. Avellone took another direction, did something different in the SW Universe, and that's why I love TSL. But let's not get ourselves into another endless discussion over this.

@JCarter426: I've learned that when it comes to LucasArts, pessimistic is the right approach.
Ah, touché. On both accounts.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #1260
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Fixed
These forums really need a rule against bloated self-righteousness.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #1261
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

Quote:

Indeed, indeed. Mr. Avellone did a wonderful job with what he had and actually brought the side of SW that Lucas intended with the prequels (darker) to a video game. Yes, the music was darker, yes the coloring actually was darker, but it was still fun to a be a Jedi.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #1262
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
These forums really need a rule against bloated self-righteousness.
I was only joking

My 'KotOR II: TSL' mods: | Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox | WIP: | M4-78 Enhancement Project | :: visit our official website ::

- Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today! -
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #1263
Jaypee
Rookie

Quote:
no your not...Kotor 1>2
Jaypee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #1264
Talak Sana
Rookie

Quote:
Nice one That made me laugh ... and I sort of agree.

- Talak Sana
Talak Sana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #1265
sarpedon2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Avellone took a darker less whimsical approach to the TSL. A dark game with a dark setting. It felt grittier and just much better than KOTOR though when I played it first time I did find it hard getting use to the difference of everything. Lets hope Kotor III can retain the style of Kotor and TSL while injecting much needed grittiness. I do have a work-in-progress story in the fiction setting called the Kotor III: The True Sith which has a very dark touch to it compared to the first two Kotor games.
sarpedon2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #1266
cire992

The only thing I really disliked about TSL's grittier direction was the lack of color and vibrancy in the world(s). Citadel, Peragus and Nar Shadaa were gray and drab, Dantooine was relit making it more desaturated. Dxun and Onderon were my favorite places from TSL because there was just more to look at. KOTOR really mixed things up, deserts, oceans, forests, cities, lots to look at.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #1267
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Now that I think of it, a lot of the planets in TSL were pretty war-torn and unpopulated.

I did enjoy the planet of Onderon in the game too. In fact, I think the Dxun and Onderon chapters were my favorites. Another planet I enjoyed and would like to see again in the future is Nar Shadaa.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #1268
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I was only joking
Sorry, but when you're being sarcastic on the internet you should bear in mind that trying to tell whether someone is being sarcastic simply by reading the text is nigh impossible.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #1269
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Sorry, but when you're being sarcastic on the internet you should bear in mind that trying to tell whether someone is being sarcastic simply by reading the text is nigh impossible.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought everyone got the sarcastic part in Rathoris post about emo-kids, thus people would easily got that I wanted to joke back at him as well.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #1270
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarpedon2 View Post
Avellone took a darker less whimsical approach to the TSL. A dark game with a dark setting. It felt grittier and just much better than KOTOR though when I played it first time I did find it hard getting use to the difference of everything. Lets hope Kotor III can retain the style of Kotor and TSL while injecting much needed grittiness. I do have a work-in-progress story in the fiction setting called the Kotor III: The True Sith which has a very dark touch to it compared to the first two Kotor games.
I see where you are going, and I do have to agree with you. I'm not an Avellone fan in any way, but I think he tried something that Star Wars needed. Star Wars really needed a shot in the arm. I'm not saying he was successful, but I do like the idea of trying something new. “KotOR I” was an awesome reminder of why I like Star Wars. When they decided to do a sequel, I was a little disappointed. “KotOR II” should have been a standalone story, for its predecessor gave a true Star Wars send off for Revan. "KotOR III" should be a stanalone. If doing a MMORPG will make this happen, then I will be one to settle for "KotOR I" as an ending to Revan.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #1271
cire992

@ The Source - I could not disagree with you more. Fortunately, there's no reason for us to debate over whether K3 should be a standalone story or not. That's the developers' problem. Good luck with it.

Last edited by cire992; 08-03-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #1272
Rathoris
Rookie

@ Thrawn
i thought ur "fix" was pretty funny actually
Rathoris is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #1273
gm5k
Rookie

Quote:
@ Thrawn
i thought ur "fix" was pretty funny actually
+1
Old 08-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #1274
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source View Post
“KotOR I” was an awesome reminder of why I like Star Wars. When they decided to do a sequel, I was a little disappointed. “KotOR II” should have been a standalone story, for its predecessor gave a true Star Wars send off for Revan.
I agree Kotor 2 should have told us a different story, one not at all related to K1, but we had K2 and, for me, it didn't do a good job on extending K1 story. Not blaming Avellone this time, but no one could have done a good job with a finished story such as K1. But the harm is done and K2 needs and deserves a sequel, simply because it's an unfinihed plot.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #1275
Revan 411
Forumite

Really? I thought the story was rather lame in Kotor I, and I enjoyed the story in Kotor II.

Quote:
it didn't do a good job on extending K1 story
So, your saying that Revan is mentioned through out the whole game of Kotor II, and the characters give us, more back story on him, while Kotor I, didn't even mentioned anything about Revan.

Quote:
but no one could have done a good job with a finished story such as K1
I do have to admit, K1 was more complete then K2, yes, but the story is much more deeper in K2 then it is in K1, cause K1 is straight for ward, you have to find Star Maps, defeat Malak, save the republic, that's it, While K2 actually has you thinking of the story, and the dialogue is very well written, and K2 has more back story on all of your party members.

Quote:
simply because it's an unfinihed plot.
I do agree, the ending did leave us hanging, yes, but there are lots of other ways to over look that, and I already over looked the ending, anyway.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #1276
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
Really? I thought the story was rather lame in Kotor I, and I enjoyed the story in Kotor II.
Well, everyone has their own tastes.

Quote:
So, your saying that Revan is mentioned through out the whole game of Kotor II, and the characters give us, more back story on him, while Kotor I, didn't even mentioned anything about Revan.
I can't tell if you're simply further explaining Ctrl Alt Del's statement or disagreeing... but in any case, a lot is mentioned about Revan's back-story in K1. A lot of it is simply repeated a thousand times in K2 as well.

Quote:
I do have to admit, K1 was more complete then K2, yes, but the story is much more deeper in K2 then it is in K1, cause K1 is straight for ward, you have to find Star Maps, defeat Malak, save the republic, that's it,
Couldn't the same be argued about K2? All you do (for most of the game) is find the Jedi Masters. I know, it's a lot more intricate than that, but overall, it's the same process towards completing the story.

Quote:
While K2 actually has you thinking of the story, and the dialogue is very well written, and K2 has more back story on all of your party members.
I was thinking about the story in K1 the whole way through...as I'm sure countless others were too. I disagree that the party members have more back-story in K2. Some of the party members (if not all) in K1 could rant off about their lives for what seemed like hours (Canderous and Jolee come to mind). In K2, you quickly come to a roadblock about their past. A lot of the dialogue options are available right from the get-go with the party members, and you can easily listen to most of their life in 15 minutes.

Quote:
I do agree, the ending did leave us hanging, yes, but there are lots of other ways to over look that, and I already over looked the ending, anyway.
For most of us (well, me at least), the only way to "overlook" the ending in K2 is for them to finish the story with a K3. Or fix the ending. (I thought Team Gizka was doing that, but I don't remember anymore)

Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #1277
Xaris Vynn
Rookie

I beleive this has been stated on this thread already, the CEO states in the Interview KOTOR will have an MMO component not that it will be entirely an MMO.
Quote:
John Riccitiello said that EA is working on the next version of Star Wars game Knights of the Old Republic, and it will most certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it.
Which for me to purchase it would have to be the case. I want KOTOR III to be an RPG that is the point if the series and a good part of the reason it did so well. If it had an MMO compnent that is fine but it HAS to have the SPRPG part as well.

I also noticed in the article the he seems to be pointing out that it will be for PC only,
Quote:
But EA is firmly on that path now, with a KOTOR MMO, which would sidestep the consoles owned by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.
While I only game on a PC, I don’t agree with it it should at the very least also be on the XBOX, maybe this is Lucas Arts making up for the oversght of TFU.
Xaris Vynn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #1278
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
While K2 actually has you thinking of the story, and the dialogue is very well written, and K2 has more back story on all of your party members.
That's probably the first time I hear this.

I think Atton is the biggest example on how poorly K2 did on this. His life story finishes as suddenly as it starts.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #1279
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Its all about Style.

You can't compare two different story-telling styles and have one be better than the other. Its 100% taste-based on all fronts. Some people like apples, some like oranges. There isn't a better or worse.
But props need to be given where deserved.
KotOR 1 started KOTOR. Bioware spawned KotOR from the Starwars universe. There wouldn't be a TSL without a KOTOR. Nor would it have the fan-base that it has now if KotOR 1 hadn't had an amazing storyline.
I would be thrilled if KOTOR 3 would be developed by Bioware, personally. (Wishful thinking.)
Having said that, in my opinion:
All of you people with your "Ifs" and "Buts" are just saying that KotOR II had greater potential. Thats nice. But...It...Didn't...Happen.
KotOR II turned out badly. No "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it.
Thats why Lucas is taking his swear-candy-coated time with a third installment. They realized they made a bo-bo with KotOR 2.
The game didn't add amazing new features that blew anyone away, no pod-race upgrades, no improved starship combat, no awe-inspiring new combat features, no spectacular enviroment interfacing, no measureable improved graphics, no OMG-I-IS-REVAN moments. In opinion, they really didn't change it for any better at all. They tweaked a few things. Added a storyline, and Lucas said d-u-n. I don't blame Obsidian. But just because you can't blame them dosen't make the game any better.
No offense meant TSL fans...
Google Bad Game Sequels.
First Link, 21 games that didn't need sequels. Rank 9. KotOR.
Google Bad Video Game Sequels
Second Link(First is Wiki), Second Page. KotOR 2.
KotOR 2 wasn't a bad game. It was a disappointing sequel, to an AMAZING game. Of course, that was all just IMHO.

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #1280
Manny C

Hmm. Interesting discussion. I've noticed that a lot of people have described how KOTOR 2's story is "deeper" than KOTOR 1's. This goes without saying, and while I did like KOTOR 2, and admired the ambitiousness of the story, I found myself asking, is such a widely expansive and complex storyline such a good idea for this medium?

You have to consider that, with a game that essentially has to create a feeling of non-linearity in the character, a complex storyline, the events of which are all predetermined, becomes very difficult with one simple change in order/choice in the way the player goes through the story. You have to remember, writing a game like KOTOR is a very daunting task. Typically, there is a writer to each planet, and a lead writer who does the main story and checks that each planet-writer is adhering to the right tone, pace, etc. So a story like KOTOR 2's would have thousands and thousands of potential changes that would have to be accounted for by the main story, because at the end of the day the story has to maintain the same general direction, as they share the same locations, villains etc. Because of this, liberties in continuity and contradictions are very difficult to control, and I find that as a result, the game's sense of pace and logical progression suffers, at least I felt this to be the case in KOTOR 2, and it doesn't help when they're being rushed. Many of the characters did not have the sense of closure that they did in KOTOR 1, largely because if they did, and then later in the game the player changed direction, it wouldnt make sense that the supporting characters continue to support the main player, not to mention the time factor.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think that making the story too complex is making the developer's job to hard on him/herself, and when something like lucasarts' infamous change of deadline, it wouldn't affect the game as severely as it did, had they simplified the story somewhat.

What I feel is great about not only KOTOR1, but many if not all of Bioware's RPG games, is that their MAIN stories are fairly straightforward (Mass Effect: find Saren and stop him. Jade Empire: Stop the emperor and his evil sidekick. KOTOR1: find the starmaps and hunt down Malak.), but what is great about these games is the JOURNEY. The characters involved, the cities/planets along the way can go one way or the other, but the fixed goal alows a constant, clear objective and sense of progression that maintains the continuity of the tone and pace of the story. They main story really only begins to change towards the climax, where significant choices have less of an impact because the final few stages tend to be rather linear.

KOTOR 2 also set itself a hard task when it decided not to cannonize events of the first. I'm not saying they should have, but how can you really lay out the current galactic situation when you don't know whether the republic has been reinstated, or a giant, unstoppable war-factory has continued to spew our war machines and conquer the galaxy?
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)