lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Random mapping/scripting questions that pop up
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
StaffSaberist
DECEPTION IS FINISHED! :D

Location: The United States of America... and damn proud of it!
Cool Guy Random mapping/scripting questions that pop up

I thought the Doors thread was derailed for so long, it wasn't <flamin> funny. So, I wanted a thread that would stay on topic no matter how random the questions got.

Question 1: I notices models and such for force holocrons. Two of them were Levitation and Telepathy. Is there any use for these at all? Are there hidden Force Powers that nobody knows about?

Question 2: I know you can cause an NPC to be invisible and nonsolid, but I know there is a way to spawn NPC's in the scripts. I know this because the Mapping University has a lesson on spawnscripts. However, there is no link for that lesson yet. Is there truly a way to do that?

Deception, the best SP level-set in the world, is done! Get it here!
"Query: What is it you wish, fat one?" - HK-47 at his best
I have begun modding TSL. Check it out here. and My Fanfic
StaffSaberist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffSaberist
Question 1: I notices models and such for force holocrons. Two of them were Levitation and Telepathy. Is there any use for these at all? Are there hidden Force Powers that nobody knows about?
These aren't the same as jump and mind trick?

Quote:
Question 2: I know you can cause an NPC to be invisible and nonsolid, but I know there is a way to spawn NPC's in the scripts. I know this because the Mapping University has a lesson on spawnscripts. However, there is no link for that lesson yet. Is there truly a way to do that?
You can spawn an NPC by targeting its targetname. Whether it's by a trigger event or by use("targetname") script command, doesn't matter. There is no script command, however, for spawning NPCs that haven't been placed in the map in Radiant (like with the console command), though, if that's what you were asking.

Just note that if you spawn an NPC with the use command, don't try to affect it right away in the script, because that won't work. There seems to be some sort of lag between the spawning event and being affectable. That's why I have normally prespawned NPCs for cinematics before the actual cinematic script is launched.

Edit: A spawnscript is a script that an NPC executes immediately when it spawns.

Frozen by ICARUS
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
StaffSaberist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassev
These aren't the same as jump and mind trick?
Oh... right. It just looked cool. I mean, if you could levitate like Jerec at the end of JK, that'd be cool. Use that power to make nearby weapons fire at your enemies... cool. Didn't realize the Jump and Seeing (and Mind Trick, hmm) were missing. Telepathy would be a neat power for... well, like the MotS FarSight power.

Quote:

You can spawn an NPC by targeting its targetname. Whether it's by a trigger event or by use("targetname") script command, doesn't matter. There is no script command, however, for spawning NPCs that haven't been placed in the map in Radiant (like with the console command), though, if that's what you were asking.

Just note that if you spawn an NPC with the use command, don't try to affect it right away in the script, because that won't work. There seems to be some sort of lag between the spawning event and being affectable. That's why I have normally prespawned NPCs for cinematics before the actual cinematic script is launched.

Edit: A spawnscript is a script that an NPC executes immediately when it spawns.
In that case, I'll rely on triggers to spawn NPC's. But it was a thought.

I do have another question, actually. It would be a caulking timesaver. In Radiant 1.5, you can select multiple brushes, then click a button to select only the faces of the brushes you want to texture. You can do this one face at a time in 1.4 by clicking Ctrl+Shift+LeftClick, but that's more that a little slow. Is there a way to do that like 1.5?

Old 11-20-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
lassev
cryptoscripter

I haven't used 1.5 and your explanation made it sound like even more complicated than 1.4, anyway... I dunno. You can either select surfaces one by one like you said, or you can paint surfaces by dragging the mouse over them holding the mbutton down... Dunno how much easier methods you would like. I guess having an AI to predict what you would like to do would be even easier, but that's a little bit too much to ask for...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

In 1.4.0, you can paint-select multiple surfaces with CTRL+SHIFT+CLICK. You can add/subtract surfaces from your selection by ALT+CTRL+SHIFT+CLICK-ing.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2005, 06:35 PM   #6
StaffSaberist

When I select multiple surfaces that way, I can only select one surface. If I select another, the first becomes deselected.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #7
MDN14
Rookie

try holding down the buttons and whole time.
MDN14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
StaffSaberist

Got it.

Another issue popped up. I want to create a trim like this one. I can create it rather well with a brush standing upright, but when I make it horizontal via Y-Rotation, the textures smear and look terrible. How did Raven get these textures to sit down horizontally? And how do I do that? =/

Old 11-22-2005, 04:20 AM   #9
lassev
cryptoscripter

Make the brush horizontal and fit the textures, rotated 90 degrees.

One thing about Gtk 1.4 that bugs me is the way it handles fitting rotated textures. It looks like some malevolent spirit decides whether it works or not, because despite countless times of using/trying the function, I still haven't been able to figure what exactly decides if it works or not. Sometimes it just works, sometimes it refuses to work, and the only option seems to be to fit the texture by hand.

You might also want to mess with the textures locks, StaffSaberist, if you feel rotated brushes don't retain their texturing parametres in a sensible way.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
StaffSaberist

I can't get it to fit correctly. It looks - smeared - and won't cooperate. I used this very texture to create a vertical trim, on request of a poster who hated perfectly round pillars. I thought it was a good idea, and obliged him.

You can fit the texture by hand? I'd like to know how to do that. It seems to be the only option. There was another texture that fit texture-wise, but looked ugly since it was brown on black.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:52 PM   #11
MDN14
Rookie

if all else fails you could always try opening the texture in an image editing program and just rotate it 90 degrees and save it as a new texture and then just use that for your trim.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:15 AM   #12
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
You can fit the texture by hand? I'd like to know how to do that.
Uh... Press S and mess with the numbarz. Or shift + S for patch meshes.

Or use the hotkeys: shift + arrows to move the texture, crtl + arrows to change the texture scale.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
StaffSaberist

I duplicated the stone_rim texture in ShaderEd. I called it Stone_rim_staff. I can't find it, now, on my computer. Where can I find it?

Old 11-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
lassev
cryptoscripter

Well, I suppose it should be in the same shader file. But normally people use just Notepad to edit their shaders. ShaderEd is nice for some previewing and adjusting frequencies and things like that.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #15
StaffSaberist

How on Earth would I use Notepad to rotate it 90 degrees? I mean, it's all Greek to me. I am in Notepad now, and I see this for my new texture:

textures/rift/stone_rim_Staff
{
qer_editorimage textures/rift/stone_rim
{
map $lightmap
}
{
map textures/rift/stone_rim
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
}
{
map textures/rift/stone_rim_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
glow
rgbGen identity
}
}

What would I add? Where would I add it?

Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
lassev
cryptoscripter

Rotate 90 degrees? Why don't you do that in Radiant? It's hardly convenient or efficient to make a new shader entry every time you need to rotate a texture...

Usually when you rotate in a shader, it means you want an animated rotation in game. Although I suppose you could use q3map_tcMod rotate (I haven't tried that. I could be wrong)...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #17
StaffSaberist

Well, whenever I try to rotate it, it ends up smearing or getting tiny. it doesn't look good by anyone's standards - wait. I got it. I think I know why the damn thing wasn't working.

I rotated the thing on the Y-Axis last time. I tried the X-axis. It fit, but was perpendicular to where I wanted it. I rotated it on the Z-Axis, and rotated the texture 90. It fits, but it is too long. So, I have to refit the textures. Nonetheless, the thing works.

I think that's the problem with the "texture gods". They aren't very Y-rotation friendly, or something.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
lassev
cryptoscripter

If you want to rotate a texture, why are you talking about brush rotates?

Well, whatever works for you...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #19
StaffSaberist

OK. The brush was a rectagle sticking vertically up in the air. It was when I Y-rotated the brushes to get them horizontal, so they would work as a horizontal trim, that the trouble started. I chose to X-Rotate them instead this time, and it worked - to a point. I still had to rotate the entire brush 90 to get it in line with the staircase trim. I Z-rotated it. That's when the textures needed to be rotated. I thought if I had a texture that was permanently 90 rotated, I wouldn't have to do all this. And I probably don't.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #20
MDN14
Rookie

why didnt you just make a new brush exactly the way you wanted it to be?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
StaffSaberist

I know, I made a n00b mistake. But every time, the damn thing had smeared textures, and I didn't know why. So I made a vertical trim just to make sure it worked at all at some point. I worked my way from there.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll let you know if I have another problem.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #22
shukrallah
White Dragon

You can use Shift+PgUP and PgDn to rotate textures as well, I think.... maybe... :-\
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #23
StaffSaberist

Yeah, but I have a compact keyboard. The PgUp key is part of my arrow keys, and I have to press a Func button. Then, I start thinking about func, and make my trim into a func_door... it's easier to hit S and click a few buttons.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 PM   #24
shukrallah
White Dragon

Personally I think they need to work on the texturing alignment options in GTK... I know sometimes I have trouble with it. And then other times when you rotate a whole brush the texture changes! Among other things.... :-\
Old 11-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #25
StaffSaberist

And when you try to correct it, it looks stretched out so far you delete the brush in disgust. Sometimes I wanna have more power in Gtk. Like, the ability to create ziggarauts without making a gajillion tiny brushes. But that is a modeling question, I believe.

Old 11-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #26
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Eh, I just always use the surface inspector (S key). You can do automatic stuff like fitting a brush face with a texture tiled some number of times, or manually change the origin and rotation angle of the texture. In your case, I'd either just increase the rotation by 90 degrees and then click FIT, and if that didn't work, restore defaults, increase rotation by 90 degrees, and move the texture horizontally/vertically by hand.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #27
shukrallah
White Dragon

I know, I've done that. I encountered a problem about a year ago or something, and it could be just a problem with my PC, but sometimes GTK would flip textures backwards, and/or do other stupid things. :-\ In the end I just put up with it, or make a texture that fits right... or something...
Old 02-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #28
Riley75
Rookie

Just thought I'd post in here to see if StaffSaberist has still been doing any mapping lately?

I guess I'm a few years late to getting the editing bug for JO/JA... but I've just recently discovered all the neat stuff you can do with Radiant and its associated tools. Compared to what's available for Battlefront, these tools are a pleasure to work with -- especially in the single-player scripting arena.

I know I've read that many people prefer GTKRadiant over JK2Radiant; but I actually find that JK2Radiant's various inspectors are easier to use. In fact, the only problem I've found so far with JK2Radiant is that it's really hard to see the names of textures. I've only been doing "concept testing" so far though, so maybe I'll change my mind once I have some larger and more detailed maps.

Star Wars Battlefront: LVL File Reference Information
http://personal.riley-man.com/swbf/editing/
Riley75 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #29
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
well i didnt see it here, and since a buddy of mine didnt know about it,

shift+s

brings up a patch surface inspector that doesnt crash when you apply changes to a texture

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 AM   #30
lassev
cryptoscripter

There might be a couple of things in JK2Radiant that were different, maybe even better, than in GTK, but the advantages of GTK greatly outweight those few details. I mapped my first project with JK2Radiant, then switched to GTK, so I know what I'm talking about. Once I got used to GTK, the thought of switching back didn't visit my mind once. A working Undo function alone would be a reason enough, and it's not even the only one, not at all.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #31
StaffSaberist

Quote:
Just thought I'd post in here to see if StaffSaberist has still been doing any mapping lately?
Yeah, but I haven't run into any serious issues for the longest time. I'm starting with a couple of placeholder textures, though, so screens would be more than ugly.

Besides, my mapping compy is currently without an internet connection. This computer wouldn't even run JA, let alone GTKRadiant. =/

Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #32
Riley75
Rookie

Good to hear.
I'm just trying to gauge how much interest there still is in JO/JA, both in general and in the editing community.

Err um... On topic, I'll keep my eye on this thread in case I can help with any scripting questions. Icarus has come fairly naturally for me.

Star Wars Battlefront: LVL File Reference Information
http://personal.riley-man.com/swbf/editing/
Riley75 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2006, 01:29 AM   #33
StaffSaberist

That's it! I've had it!

Not too long ago, I was forced to, of all things, reformat my computer. Which, of course, means everything is kaput. From the smallest text file to, sadly, my maps. This pisses me off to no end. I'm going to have to start over - but not until my temper has abated, which will take time.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #34
StaffSaberist

OK, I have attempted to get back to mapping TRV, making sure nothing was compromised, when I came to an awful realization: The biggest obstacle to my success at this point is me. I tried to charge headlong into Radiant/ICARUS without even getting experience and training. Foolish, on my part.

I am not abandoning the project, but it's on hold indefinitely - the end of this project suspension will be when I feel much more comfortable with the inner workings of JA mapping/scripting. I've created a sort of learning room, a cube, that is littered with concepts for me to learn. Starting with the basics. Things are making sense, however, that haven't made sense since I started mapping. ICARUS no longer looks as daunting as it was, and Radiant... well, that's another story. But I'm going to make damn good and sure I'm a good mapper before I make a releaseable map.

Peace.

EDIT: In fact, I do have an issue I need corrected. I've looked over the code, it doesn't make sense why it doesn't work.

WHAT I WANT: I want the Reborn with the targetnames a1, a2, b1, b2, c1, and c2 to move to a navgoal with a corresponding targetname (a1_dest, etc.). The camera pans to the appropriate locations, fades to black for an outrageously long 5000 milliseconds for testing purposes, then returns to the game. During this script, player has notarget and godmode active since the player will be under heavy blaster fire.

WHAT HAPPENS: Camera shows exact spot for one second immediately pans to some other place, then camera fades to black and stays. Game returns, I'm still invincible - but I can't see a darn thing!

THE SCRIPT:

Code:
//Generated by BehavEd

rem ( "Groups of Reborn move to specified navgoals in a cutscene" );

affect ( "player", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
	rem ( "Make the player invincible in case of Stormie fire" );
	set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_INVINCIBLE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );
	set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NOTARGET", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );
}

task ( "CameraStart" )
{
	camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ ENABLE );
	camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ MOVE, $tag( "vantage", ORIGIN)$, $0$ );
	camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "vantage", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0 );
}

dowait ( "CameraStart" );

task ( "MoveOutA" )
{
	rem ( "Moves duo A to the specified destination" );

affect ( "a1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "a1_dest" );
	}

affect ( "a2", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "a2_dest" );
	}

}

dowait ( "MoveOutA" );
wait ( 1000.000 );

task ( "MoveOutB" )
{
	camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "b1_dest", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );

affect ( "b1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "b1_dest" );
	}

affect ( "b2", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "b2_dest" );
	}

}

dowait ( "MoveOutB" );
wait ( 1000.000 );

task ( "MoveOutC" )
{
	camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "c1", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0 );

affect ( "c1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "c1_dest" );
	}

affect ( "c2", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "c2_dest" );
	}

camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "c2_dest", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );
}

dowait ( "MoveOutC" );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ FADE, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0.000, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 1.000, 5000 );
wait ( 5000.000 );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ DISABLE );

affect ( "player", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
	set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NOTARGET", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );
	set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_FORCE_INVINCIBLE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );
}

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 05-07-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #35
Darth_Tempust
Rookie

here's a mapping question, can someone please send me or tell me where to get the JKL importer for radiant please?

my email and MSN is: tempust@optusnet.com.au

i can't figure out JED, so i was thinking i could import the map, see how it was done and make my own. :P
Darth_Tempust is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #36
SD_Radical_Ed

LOL i sed to use jed back in the day! its like the exact opposite of radiant, brushes are HOLLOw instead of solid! fun stuff, i see how u could get confused...

HGR_Gaara_Of_The_Sand_TRI
I am the S.H.I.T. (Shinobi Hokage In Training)
SD_Radical_Ed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #37
SD_Radical_Ed

BTW if u find that .jkl importer, hook me up d00d.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #38
neal8929
Rookie

RANDOM MAP QUESTION:

The question is.. how to make glass shatter when hit, and not explode when hit.

All should know this...it's not the staff that makes you a noob, its how you use it.
neal8929 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #39
SD_Radical_Ed

mmmm i think u do it with cogging if i remember correctly

Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #40
neal8929
Rookie

Im a novice here, what is cogging

All should know this...it's not the staff that makes you a noob, its how you use it.
neal8929 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Mapping > Random mapping/scripting questions that pop up