lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Animations cracked!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #161
Lamoid
Rookie

Does this mean its possible for someone to make one of those Revan models with a flowing cape??????
Lamoid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #162
Sirus Fett
Rookie

They addressed that earlier, No its not possible. Yet...
Sirus Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #163
Dak Vesser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirus Fett
Awesome, Excelent work.

Is it possible to import the animations into say..3ds MAX? or can you only create new ones?
Yes you can import the animations, But you'll need "NWMax 0.8 3ds max v6 Installer" That'll also work for 3d Studio max V8 as well. You can download it here at DragonLance Adventures.. Don't use the G-max version - it will hang trying to import over to 3ds max...

You may call me: King Kong-Xbox, PC related, Darth Cowboy-Jedi-Ninja'Nerd
Dak Vesser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #164
Mr Maniac
Rookie

Is it possible now to have different animations for the different saber forms? That would make my day.
Mr Maniac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #165
Sirus Fett
Rookie

Ok thanks, i have NW max for 3ds Max 7.

Do i have to use kotor tool to extract the animations? or were can i find them to get into max?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #166
Dak Vesser
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maniac
Is it possible now to have different animations for the different saber forms? That would make my day.
From what I understand, not all of the animations are going to work correctlly. cchargin had just released an "alpha version" of mdlops, but because he called it an alpha, is becase it's very dodgy, experiential, not fully tested. There's still allot more to crack.

I have no Idea on what to expect on the lightsaber animations. Don't know if those are comimg from the lightsaber, or the body model

I've noticed with it, that Bastila's head model has all or some of the animations working, but the body model is still frozen. Some, or most, or all of the Play character models still have no animation imported over.

HK-47 works like a charm, but T3-M4 has problems. There are just a few animations working with that model but it looks like they're not completed.

Mission Veo's head mdl works, but not the body.
Well So far those are the only models I've imported over to 3ds max 8, and I have not yet modifed, or exported them out to see if kotor will play them..

You may call me: King Kong-Xbox, PC related, Darth Cowboy-Jedi-Ninja'Nerd
Dak Vesser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2006, 02:54 AM   #167
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirus Fett
Ok thanks, i have NW max for 3ds Max 7.

Do i have to use kotor tool to extract the animations? or were can i find them to get into max?
I don't think you can extract animation. Not yet.

"If you must sleep on the same bed, at least try to dream different dreams".
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #168
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
You can extract them using the mdlops alpha. I don't think you can add them to bodies yet. but I could be wrong. There's also some question as to how you would link the animations to the sabre forms.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #169
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
There also seems to be a problem with some models that have rotations around unit vectors (<1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>) that I've noticed.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #170
cchargin
chown -R cchargin /plans/deathstar/*

Forum Veteran Notable contributor 
Hello all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
There also seems to be a problem with some models that have rotations around unit vectors (<1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>) that I've noticed.
Can you give me an example?

Quote:
I don't think you can extract animation. Not yet.
That is what is being tested with this alpha release of MDLOps, import and export of animations.

Quote:
I've noticed with it, that Bastila's head model has all or some of the animations working, but the body model is still frozen. Some, or most, or all of the Play character models still have no animation imported over.
Ah yes. OK, the player animations work a bit different. All of the player models inherit their animations from supermodels. For example if you were to trace the supermodel tree for Mission it would be:
P_MissionBB -> S_Female03 -> S_Female02 -> S_Female01 -> S_Male02 -> S_Male01

So, all of the player animations are in the s_female and s_male models. You have to modify these models to change player and party animations.

All other models (droids, creatures, Malak, etc...) have the animations built in.
cchargin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 AM   #171
Sirus Fett
Rookie

Built in the .mdl-ANSII? how do we get it to animate into 3DS max then?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 PM   #172
B.d.
Lurker

hey guys i have some problems when i put modifed models back to the game they are black, or they crashed the game. I modify mainmenu models
B.d. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #173
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchargin
Can you give me an example?
I'll see if I can find the one from before (it was a while ago...), but I remember the animations not working at all, which they should have since I sucessfully decompiled the Rakata and Bantha models for Archon II using the alpha you sent me before.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #174
cchargin

Quote:
Built in the .mdl-ANSII? how do we get it to animate into 3DS max then?
For models with built in animations you convert to ascii, load into max and click the play button.

For player and party models, unfortunately max does not understand the supermodel system used by kotor. So if you wanted to actually see a skin mesh moving along with the supermodel animations in max you will have to do a lot of scene merging and I would guess some rigging as well.

If you just want to change a certain animation, you have to figure out which supermodel it is in and import that into gmax and make your changes. There is no need to load in a skin mesh. I have not tried this, so I do not know if it will work.

Quote:
hey guys i have some problems when i put modifed models back to the game they are black, or they crashed the game.
Which model? What did you modify? Which version of Kotor? Did you use the MDLOps 0.6 alpha?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:31 AM   #175
Sirus Fett
Rookie

So would a Mandalorian have built in animations?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #176
B.d.
Lurker

Quote:
Which model? What did you modify? Which version of Kotor? Did you use the MDLOps 0.6 alpha?
I want to change the model of darth sion in mainmenu, its mainmenu01.mdl , *.mdx. yes i used that alpha

Last edited by B.d.; 04-04-2006 at 09:25 PM.
B.d. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2006, 05:29 AM   #177
Lit Ridl

Can somebody send me that patch to Please do not post your email address or say where can I download it! Please! Please! Please! All my KOTOR-modding life I dreamed about thng that will be able to export animations and sounds!

Lit Ridl, posting your email address here is a no-no, please read our Forum Rules. Thanks. -RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 05-26-2006 at 05:59 AM.
Lit Ridl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #178
mimic666
Rookie

Posting E-mail Addy's is a no no Lit Ridi
mimic666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #179
newszi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lit Ridl
Can somebody send me that patch to Please do not post your email address or say where can I download it! Please! Please! Please! All my KOTOR-modding life I dreamed about thng that will be able to export animations and sounds!
If you've ever read throught this thread you should have found this:
http://cchargin.home.comcast.net/kot...s0-6alpha4.zip
newszi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2006, 02:59 AM   #180
Lit Ridl

Sorry me for my stupid head... I have not enough time to read 5 pages... Thank you Newszi! You helped me!
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 PM   #181
Kha
Rookie

Hi,
I was trying to change one animation from the S_Male02 file from kotor 1, I've managed to get the animations in Max, then I exported the model+animation, but when I used Mdlops (the 0.6alpha4 version) to compile to .mdl and .mdx files I get an error. Even when there is no change in the file, I just import and export it.

Any suggestion??
Thanks

"Who we are depends on who we create ourselves to be."

My Kotor Mods
Kha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 AM   #182
cchargin

Hello,

I just tried the following with s_male01:

-convert s_male01.mdl and s_male01.mdx to ascii.mdl => ok
-convert ascii.mdl from above to binary.mdl => ok

-convert s_male01.mdl and s_male01.mdx to ascii.mdl => ok
-import into nwmax => ok
-export from nwmax => ok
-convert asci.mdl to binary.mdl => failed
This failed because nwmax (and this makes me so mad!) will overwrite the binary s_male01.mdl with an ascii file of the exact same name! You see MDLOps is trying to open the original binary .mdl and .mdx to get some info to properly compile the model. Of course since nwmax overwrote the binary.mdl with an ascii.mdl bad things happen! ARGH! Overwrite a file without asking?!?!?! STUPID SOFTWARE!

When I repeated the above test making sure that the s_male01.mdl did not get overwritten, everything worked fine.

However, I did not get the same error you got. So I am not sure this is what is happening to you.

Just to be on the safe side, before you compile from ascii to binary make sure that the s_male01.mdl that is in the same directory as your ascii.mdl is in fact binary. Just open it in notepad and you should see text not gibberish.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:45 PM   #183
Kha
Rookie

Hi Cchargin,

I think it is not the same problem, because I've made this mistake many times and now as soon as I import something in Gmax I change the folder it will export. Here what I did:

1. get s_male01.mdl (318 kb) and s_male01.mdx (42kb) from Kotor 1 (v1.03.51.4077 Eng) with KT (v1.0.2210.16738) and copy to "anim" folder;

2. using MDLOps (0.6alpha4) I select s_male01.mdl, "Kotor 1" and "extract animations" checked and "convert skin to trimesh" unchecked, then I press "Read and write" button. Now I have s_male01-ascii.mdl (912kb) in the "anim" folder;

3. open Gmax (1.2) with NWmax icon (v0.8) and import the ascii file with "Import Geom+Anim" checked. It loads the file and the animations are there, so I select the Aurora base, change the export folder (gmaxexport), then press "Export model+anim". Now I have a s_male01.mdl (640 kb) file in my "gmaxexport" folder, I remane it to s_male01-new-ascii.mdl and copy it to my "anim" folder. ( I've opened it in notepad and it is not a binary file).

4. I call MDLOps again (0.6alpha4) select the s_male01-new-ascii.mdl, with "Kotor 1" and "extract animations" checked, and "convert to trimesh" unchecked and it gives the error.

It creates the s_male01-new-ascii-k1-bin.mdx (42kb) and s_male01-new-ascii-k1-bin.mdl (3kb, when the original is 318kb).

Thanks,
Kha

My Kotor Mods
Old 07-28-2006, 02:21 AM   #184
cchargin

Hello,

Hmmm. By the way in my previous post I put s_male01 when all the time I meant to put s_male02. It was a long day at work...

Perhaps you should send me your s_male01-new-ascii.mdl so I can take a look at it. You can get my e-mail address from the MDLOps readme.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #185
Lit Ridl

I just want to ask.
Are planet models possible for using in game???
Old 07-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #186
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Planet models are actualy only a sphere, if you ask about that hologram which you see on Ebon Hawk. For modules it's a little more complicated. I suggest to wait cchargin answer (I'm also interested on this).
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2006, 06:32 AM   #187
Lit Ridl

Oh... I am about models like Malachor, they have a lot of thing in them, effects and other interesting things... I am talking about that type...
Also I know that models such as Korriban, Peragus, Nar Shaddaa are spheres.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:21 PM   #188
cchargin

Hello,

Quote:
Perhaps you should send me your s_male01-new-ascii.mdl so I can take a look at it. You can get my e-mail address from the MDLOps readme.
OK, I took a look at your file and I noticed that NWMax 0.8 incorrectly exports animations!

All nodes in an animation should be the "dummy" type. NWMax is putting the actual mesh type where it should be the "dummy" type! This is what is confusing MDLOps. I tweaked MDLOps to ignore this. I sent you a copy, let me know how it goes. If it works for you I will make it avaialable to all.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #189
Kha
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchargin
I sent you a copy, let me know how it goes. If it works for you I will make it avaialable to all.
Hi,

I've remade all the steps of my previous post, now mdlops (0.6alpha5 you have sent me) compiles without any error and creates the s_male01-new-ascii-k1-bin.mdl (325kb) and s_male01-new-ascii-k1-bin.mdx (42 kb), but when I copy it to override folder and rename them to s_male01.mdl and s_male01.mdx the game crashes. I've tried many times with the s_male01 and s_female01 files but noone worked, and if I delete the files from the override folder the game works fine.

Thanks,
Kha

My Kotor Mods
Old 09-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #190
savvy30039
Lurker

Question

Hello,

I've been working with MDLOps to try to create custom animations for S_Male02 in KotOR II. Using NWMax, (in 3DSMax) I exported model+anim to include my animation, which I named custom1p. After doing all the nessesary converting in MDLOps to not get errors, I renamed the files to the original names and put them in the Override folder. I then altered the animations.2da to replace the pause1 animation to preview my animation in-game and put it in the Override folder as well. When I did this however, the characters defaulted to the static spreadeagle position when idle, as if they had no animation to refer to. I then tried a different method of just deleting the pause1 animation in Max and renaming mine to pause1. When I put the .mdl and .mdx file into Override and test it in-game, it just runs the normal pause1.
The game is not recognizing my animations at all, so there must be a problem when exporting from Max. What am I doing wrong?
savvy30039 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #191
JdNoa
Rookie

Notable contributor 
I've been making some changes to mdlops (mostly porting code over from Torlack's NWN model de/compiler) so we could add some custom animations for our project. I'm uneasy about posting changes to someone else's code without permission but cchargin hasn't responded to my email yet, and I'm about to get too busy to work on this for a while. (The program is GPL so technically it's okay to post changes but if you think this is inappropriate please let me know and I'll remove it).

We've successfully imported animations on s_male02 and hk47. I haven't had time to do much testing outside of what we needed.

If you want to try this, you'll need perl installed, plus a couple of optional packages (instructions in the zip, "installing perl.txt".)

You can download the modified mdlops perl scripts HERE.

The usual caveats/issues:

- imported models may crash your game
- if you move skin mesh nodes the model in-game gets all weird and elongated and messed up, like something from Silent Hill
- we've only tried this with character models, and only a couple of those at that
- There's a bug somewhere in conversion to ascii that sometimes makes the last frame of an animation messed up. An example is in p_mira_bb at the end of CUT027. I think it's continuing a motion that should have been stopped... and if it's the last animation and you want to add a new one after, the motion keeps going into the beginning of the new one! I'm hopeful someone who knows more about animations will be able to tell why this is happening...
[edit:] - If you converted from binary to ascii with a previous version of mdlops, I'd re-convert. If you have an animation you want to save you can copy and paste it into the newly converted ascii model.

When testing, it's nice to name your animation pause1. That way you can see it as soon as you load the game.

Last edited by JdNoa; 05-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.
JdNoa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #192
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdNoa
I've been making some changes to mdlops so we could add some custom animations for our project... We've successfully imported animations on s_male02 and hk47...

What a nice surprise! Thank you JDNoa!

Since cchargin did cite the GPL license agreement, there's no reason to take this down and I think if we did, there'd be a good chance of starting a riot.

Quote:
When testing, it's nice to name your animation pause1. That way you can see it as soon as you load the game.
Good to note that.

Quote:
If you want to try this, you'll need perl installed, plus a couple of optional packages (instructions in the zip, "installing perl.txt".)
If you like I could help package this into an EXE...?

Edit: what is the mdlops.tws?
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #193
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Would be most helpful, yes, TK, we need that, the galaxy depends on it, lol, i admit I'm not good with all this pearl stuff, .

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #194
JdNoa
Rookie

Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102

Edit: what is the mdlops.tws?
That'd be awesome, thanks. All the perl-to-exe programs I found were commercial.

Uh... oh, oops. mdlops.tws would be a textpad configuration file. That doesn't need to be in there.
JdNoa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #195
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Here is the executable version: MDLOps 0.6alpha1

Pardon the icon, I don't know what font cchargin used. (Actually I have a sneaky suspicion Master svösh had a hand in making it...)

I *think* cchargin used PAR to wrap his previous versions of MDLOps. I use PerlApp from Activestate.
tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #196
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Now if we can just add animations to Revan's hood and cape in both KOTOR games to prevent clipping issues that would just be awesome. That would revive some interest in KOTOR gaming.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #197
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Wasn't House Of Amon trying to add animation's to Revans cape in TSL, but he stopped due to not being able to modify mdlops or something like that, maybe now he can continue and we can get animated Revan, WOO!!! Go Jd, go TK, lol.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #198
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Thanks for releasing this, Jd . And thanks to you, tk, for making it into an executable file!
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #199
Kha
Rookie

OH!!! Thank you very very very... very much for this release JdNoa and tk102!!

I've managed to change the pause1 animation from the s_male2 file, it compiles without errors and worked into the game!

But now since I'm completely new at modding I have a few questions:

When I make a new animations in the s_male2 file, what else do I need to change to allow me import those animation into the game? Just adding a new line in the animation.2da file and call it using a script works?

And can I use any one of the animations file or just s_male2 file?

Thanks very much!!
Kha

My Kotor Mods
Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #200
Dashus
Rookie

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong - which is likely, given I have zero direct experience with this) this will not allow you to "create" animations. By "create" I mean actually add animations to the model. You have to replace existing ones. Then you can save the model off with a different name and specify the model to use in the utc (or ut*).

TSLRP
Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Last edited by tk102; 06-18-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Dashus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Animations cracked!