lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: David Lynch
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #81
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
That's a pretty good premise.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #82
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
It's a sort of speculative fiction idea I had based in a near future where due a society that raises everyone in a "commercialist culture", people's natural instincts (to hunt, to find a mate, etc.)
[...]
They all share the same understanding of the world, but they all have separate convictions that the understanding supports.
Nice.
It is kind of Phillip K. Dickish; having the necessary amount of political and philisophical content.

As for the 'conspiracy theory' thing; sometimes information might be at the reach of anyone, but the way in which it is handled by the institution in charge may make it a conspiracy.

If you care to hear my* opinion. The government of your country is keeping a lot of information away from tahe public, and making up a lot of excuses & lies; to begin taking some theories into account.


Quote:
But it's just a little writing idea brewing in my head. I probably won't do anything with it until I'm old and qualified enough to produce it. (though it would be quite ironic if this show idea went on network television )
I tend to have a lot of these ideas, but I lack the talent or desire to write them down, so they turn out to be forgotten.

Lately, I have started to write script-formatted stories, but I have finished none.

My problem, though, is that I can create an outstanding world setting (and this is where I include my irony and criticism); but I am too undecided to choose a suiting character or situation.

*'my'; possessive form of I.
I, a person who stands against everything that administration has done and will do; and does not live in that country, but on the same continent (a continent that has been divided thanks to them, by the way). Furthermore I should add, that I can be rather biased sometimes.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #83
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Virus
Lately, I have started to write script-formatted stories, but I have finished none.

My problem, though, is that I can create an outstanding world setting (and this is where I include my irony and criticism); but I am too undecided to choose a suiting character or situation.
I have told you before of webseries. I will say it again, since it may seem to be a good idea for you. You could work on someone else's show, and the producer will come up with the characters and conflict of the episode, and then you wouldn't have to worry about choosing that suiting character or situation, you could just write the episode and use the good words to support the show developer's ideas.

There's a certain community I recommend you check out (you have to register, though). It's monsterzero.proboards3.com. It was the place I got into webseries about a year ago, and it's the one currently producing my show Homeostasis. I've learned and grown a lot since the time I've been there. I would suggest freelancing an episode of a show for somebody. There's in fact a particular science ficiton producer who's looking for writers for two of his shows right now that I would suggest.

Quote:
The government of your country is keeping a lot of information away from tahe public, and making up a lot of excuses & lies; to begin taking some theories into account.
They come up with all kinds of excuses and lies. But the point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to look very far to realize the words are false. Just pick up a news article from a year or two before and compare notes. I don't think the administration is competent enough to come up with a decent conspiracy, honestly. I don't think they're evil, snidely, people obsessed with power, as much as they are just arrogant and self-righteous people who actually do believe that they are right for the world, for some reason.

Okay, maybe it's both. In fact Bush is and arrogant and self-righteous person who actually believes that he is right for the world, and Cheney and his cohorts are yjr evil, snidely, people obsessed with power that use Bush's incompetence to control him. So yeah, not one or the other, just a mix between the two.

Man, being homeschooled you don't get to rant as much about the government. This was fun, thanks.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #84
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
If you don't mind me asking, how common is homeschooling in the US?
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #85
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Pretty common. About as common as angry mothers .

That's not entirely true. I don't know that many homeschooled people who are doing it because the parents fear and hate the public school system, mostly it's because of stuff like a family that travels a lot or something, where the student isn't in one place or something like that.

I think there's more people who were just homeschooled in high school than throughout their whole student careers. I went up until I (barely) finished my sophomore year high school, which is when I told my parents that I was going to drop out and get my GED. They wanted me to get an actual diploma, but they agreed with me that high shool was evil, and we started looking for alternatives. I'm doing online schooling right now (with one or two correspondence courses) and it's awesome. It's a far more comfortable environment.

But i don't get to rant and debate as much since I'm no longer surrounded by 2100 people who disagree with me.

How about Australia? Not that much homeschooling there?


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #86
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
No, it's practically unheard of. I know it occurs sometimes but it's mainly because the child is bullied to the extreme at school or the parents have very strong (usually out there) beliefs.

Heh, btw I met someone from St Louis on a plane from Chicago to New York just last month.

EDIT: P.S. Do you happen to be a good speller? Ha ha. Sorry.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #87
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
Do you happen to be a good speller? Ha ha. Sorry.
The thing is, though I still don't know the exact number of homeschooled students in the US, I know they've been doubling every five years. The stereotype (I assume that's what you were getting at with the "good speller" thing) has completely disappeared. They're pretty much like every other student out there, you know, trendy *******s. Okay that was harsh, but knowing a LOT of people who are homeschooled, not one of them was a "sheltered" stereotype. Hell, the more time at home usually means the more time to grow and sell drugs! (Not me, mind you. I lack the botanical talent )


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #88
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
I tried to reply earlier, but Internet just isn't working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
I have told you before of webseries. I will say it again, since it may seem to be a good idea for you. You could work on someone else's show, and the producer will come up with the characters and conflict of the episode, and then you wouldn't have to worry about choosing that suiting character or situation, you could just write the episode and use the good words to support the show developer's ideas.
There's a certain community I recommend you check out (you have to register, though). It's monsterzero.proboards3.com. It was the place I got into webseries about a year ago, and it's the one currently producing my show Homeostasis. I've learned and grown a lot since the time I've been there. I would suggest freelancing an episode of a show for somebody. There's in fact a particular science ficiton producer who's looking for writers for two of his shows right now that I would suggest.
Do you frequent a lot of forums?

Seems like a good idea, and I don't mind registering as long as it is free. I'll create an account when I find more free time.

But writing things for others just isn't my thing; I would be limited to the idea of the creator, and I wouldn't feel the project is mine. One of the nice thing about writing is that one can build a world of his own; that's just me though.

BTW; how is your webseries going?

Quote:
They come up with all kinds of excuses and lies. But the point I'm trying to make is that you don't have to look very far to realize the words are false. Just pick up a news article from a year or two before and compare notes. I don't think the administration is competent enough to come up with a decent conspiracy, honestly. I don't think they're evil, snidely, people obsessed with power, as much as they are just arrogant and self-righteous people who actually do believe that they are right for the world, for some reason.
Okay, maybe it's both. In fact Bush is and arrogant and self-righteous person who actually believes that he is right for the world, and Cheney and his cohorts are yjr evil, snidely, people obsessed with power that use Bush's incompetence to control him. So yeah, not one or the other, just a mix between the two.
I agree; I personally think Bush's a puppet controlled by Cheney and the rest of his advisors, on a way.

On my school, you are told to shut up by the teacher as soon as she notices you are about to win the argument; and debating with companions is a waste of time, for they are mostly ignorants.
Besides, I go to a private school and most students are spoiled rich childs, whose political ideology just dissents with mine.

What are your feelings on Evo Morales, the newly elected president of Bolivia? I personally think it is the best thing that has happened to America (I mean the ****ing continent, not the ****ing country whose real name is United States) in a long while.

Quote:
Man, being homeschooled you don't get to rant as much about the government. This was fun, thanks.
You lucky, lucky bastard.
I envy you, I really do. I hate having to have a principle whom I am const6antly arguing with, teachers which are not good enough for my standards, imbecillic companions, bad conditions, tests; my life would be full without them. High school has me so nervous that I've already had a small barely-serious ulcer.
I've told my parens about homeschooling tons of times, but they hate the idea; besides it ain't common down here. I'm going to keep on fighting, though.

Quote:
Heh, btw I met someone from St Louis on a plane from Chicago to New York just last month.
Have I ever told you that I have a very distant relative in Saint Louis?

Finally, they were giving a Charles Bronson cycle yesterday in a movie channel, and I was able to watch The Great Escape and Once Upon a Time In the West. You are right, the latter is a truly great Spaghetti Western; the beginning is too slow, however.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #89
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
Do you frequent a lot of forums?
Bit of an obvious question, dontyathink?

Not many places, actually. This place and the MZP are the only places I'm a frequent suscriber. I love forums (mostly because I write a lot better than I talk), but they tend a huge amount of mean bastards! This place is great (what can I say? Grim Fandango fans are intellegent fellows) and writer's communities are great because everyone shares the same passion. Of course, the mentioned community is much, much bigger than this place, but it's still hard to find users that will flame you for no reason, or even if they have a reason, we're all nice fellows.

Quote:
Seems like a good idea, and I don't mind registering as long as it is free. I'll create an account when I find more free time.
Of course it's free. In fact, a lot of us write so much we should get paid. By the way, my user name there is "CitizenofBalance".

Quote:
But writing things for others just isn't my thing; I would be limited to the idea of the creator, and I wouldn't feel the project is mine. One of the nice thing about writing is that one can build a world of his own; that's just me though.
Teleplay writers totally live on the grounds that series writing is a collaborative effort. Rarely do you have to be someone's "bitch". They let you make suggestions and even come up with arcs for later seasons. Then, when you feel comfortable enough, create your own series and make the ones you did all the work for do all the work for you!

Referring back to the topic of film though, it's definitely a collaborative art. It's never really just the director's vision. Everyone who works on a film has something to do with the final product. I believe the concept of an "auteur" is a false one.

Quote:
You lucky, lucky bastard.
I envy you, I really do. I hate having to have a principle whom I am const6antly arguing with, teachers which are not good enough for my standards, imbecillic companions, bad conditions, tests; my life would be full without them. High school has me so nervous that I've already had a small barely-serious ulcer.
Don't think I haven't been there. I came, I saw, and I got the **** out. Crowded, alienated, unindividualistic, confidence-destroying, hellish, crowded, crowded, crowded. Of course, don't get me wrong, there was maybe 1/40th of the teachers who cared, but rarely that matters because the admistrators would walk right in and go, "Don't teach like that!" Because of this, the best teachers always left. I was frickin' depressed when I went there.

The only problem is that I don't really share a common enemy anymore. I mean, I trade it for that without a doubt, but I'm sorta a lounging "okay, so what am I gonna do with my life now" sorta deal. I have too much time think, is a good way of putting it.

Quote:
Finally, they were giving a Charles Bronson cycle yesterday in a movie channel, and I was able to watch The Great Escape and Once Upon a Time In the West. You are right, the latter is a truly great Spaghetti Western; the beginning is too slow, however.
Yeah I think we had that over here as well, since my dad was urging me to see From Noon til 3, a Charles Bronson, which was supposed to be on. I missed it, but it sounds great.

Quote:
BTW; how is your webseries going?
Haha, don't think I'm not gonna notify everyone on this forum of when it starts. March 6th is when it premieres, and there will be a thread supporting it. Here's an advertisement for y'all.



There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #90
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
The thing is, though I still don't know the exact number of homeschooled students in the US, I know they've been doubling every five years. The stereotype (I assume that's what you were getting at with the "good speller" thing) has completely disappeared. They're pretty much like every other student out there, you know, trendy *******s. Okay that was harsh, but knowing a LOT of people who are homeschooled, not one of them was a "sheltered" stereotype. Hell, the more time at home usually means the more time to grow and sell drugs! (Not me, mind you. I lack the botanical talent )
Hehe, I knew it was a stereotype, just being cheeky. But anyway, I find the homeschooling idea pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing this info.

However, I would have to disgree with both of you on whether I would prefer to be homeschooled or not. The reason is that I could not stand spending that much time with my parents. The good thing about school for me was that it was a refuge from home life and its associations. But don't get me wrong, I don't come from a "broken home", far from it. It's that just I'm a person who needs distance from their parents, especially when one of them is in constant silent judgement and uses guilt as a weapon (issue alert! sorry). But all this is saying more about my family rather than the Australian school system (that's another story).

But I can understand how schools can be alienating and soul destroying institutions and why you would want to be homeschooled. Thankfully, my school wasn't too bad in that respect.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #91
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Oh are your parents home all the time? I can understand that, then. No, for me, I see my parents as much as I did as when I went to public school.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #92
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
Yeah, I didn't make that clear. It can be quite annoying.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #93
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Not many places, actually. This place and the MZP are the only places I'm a frequent suscriber. I love forums (mostly because I write a lot better than I talk), but they tend a huge amount of mean bastards! This place is great (what can I say? Grim Fandango fans are intellegent fellows) and writer's communities are great because everyone shares the same passion. Of course, the mentioned community is much, much bigger than this place, but it's still hard to find users that will flame you for no reason, or even if they have a reason, we're all nice fellows.
That is why I don't join new forums, for the amount of jerks they usually contain.

Quote:
Not many places, actually. This place and the MZP are the only places I'm a frequent suscriber. I love forums (mostly because I write a lot better than I talk), but they tend a huge amount of mean bastards! This place is great (what can I say? Grim Fandango fans are intellegent fellows) and writer's communities are great because everyone shares the same passion. Of course, the mentioned community is much, much bigger than this place, but it's still hard to find users that will flame you for no reason, or even if they have a reason, we're all nice fellows.
I'll get an account later on, I'll let you know my username when I do so.

Quote:
Then, when you feel comfortable enough, create your own series and make the ones you did all the work for do all the work for you!
Tempting. Very tempting.

Quote:
Referring back to the topic of film though, it's definitely a collaborative art. It's never really just the director's vision. Everyone who works on a film has something to do with the final product. I believe the concept of an "auteur" is a false one.
Sort of true, it definitely is more collaborative than most forms of art.
The thing with me is that I would like to control and do everything; add that to my undesire of working with/for a big studio.

I think cinematography is the merger of arts, and that is what makes it so special. On one hand you've got visual arts, and on the other one music. Perhaps I'm being to vague, meh.

Quote:
I was frickin' depressed when I went there.
Uhuh, that's me during the school year.

"Put a smile on your face"-"Participate"-"Don't get so stressed, it's just a test"-"Socialize with others", and all of those are what I tend to hear from my companions.
There are only five out of 20 teachers I respect and admire; I am convinced I know more than the remaining 15, or at least that I would live better without them. There was this science teacher who knew a lot (and I mean it); she was forced to resign, some time after I met her.
I have complained about the educative system, but nobody takes me into account. Man, we are forced to learn Business, we waste three hours a week with that subject; if there is something I hate is certainly that.
Another thing that I dislike is the fact that I spend ten hours per day at school, which leaves me no time for other things I would like to do.

I've begun to talk about the Home-schooling issue with my parents some days ago, and it seems that the only problem is that my father thinks it's like leaving school. Only thing I need is find out more about it, and I'll spend my last years at home; paradise, indeed.

Quote:
Haha, don't think I'm not gonna notify everyone on this forum of when it starts. March 6th is when it premieres, and there will be a thread supporting it. Here's an advertisement for y'all.
I tend to 'scan' the posts before replying, and I could have sworn you were advertising Homeschooling.

Nice. The GF community is too small, go big and post it somewhere were more people can notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuz
But anyway, I find the homeschooling idea pretty interesting.
I think it depends on the individual. There are people who find it easier to just study alone and take a test at the end of the year, like me; and there are others who prefer to be tutored by manipulative teachers.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #94
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
"Don't get so stressed, it's just a test"
Heh. If that's a saying, be lucky. Our motivational posters were more along the lines of "If you fail this test, you will die of AIDS." I mean, I know it's definitely a huge part of the culture in the US, the "fail now, you'll fail forever" mindset is pushed very hard in the education system. It's like their trying to get us to commit suicide. I'm sure you know the type of student who believes life is over when high school's over, well I have no doubt that school admistrators don't help at all to rid that belief. Ask a teacher why a specific lesson is important in life? Well, it's essential in your studies next year, which will gain both importance and difficulty well into college, so if you don't get it now there's no way you'll make it through college, and we all know what'll happen to you then, right?

Hehe, make sure you keep the citizens working hard so they never realize they're working for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
The thing with me is that I would like to control and do everything
Go along with the workings of this guy. He wrote, directed, scored, edited, produced and starred in a very intellegent science fiction film all for $7,000. The film is called Primer and it is in fact quite excellent, yesyesyes.

Quote:
I think cinematography is the merger of arts, and that is what makes it so special. On one hand you've got visual arts, and on the other one music. Perhaps I'm being to vague, meh.
Yes you are being vague because I didn't understand what you just said in the slightest bit.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #95
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Heh. If that's a saying, be lucky. Our motivational posters were more along the lines of "If you fail this test, you will die of AIDS.
"I mean, I know it's definitely a huge part of the culture in the US, the "fail now, you'll fail forever" mindset is pushed very hard in the education system. It's like their trying to get us to commit suicide.
Oh, don't worry, teachers are like that as well. They'll tell you to loosen up if you are stressed, but they'll tell you that you will have no opportunities in life if you fail. That's why I hate school, you know; as well as for the people, but that is obvious.
I was pretty sure that they said was that if you were homosexual you WILL get HIV, and furthermore, that 'straight' people are morally banned from using condoms. Must be the religious teachers of my school.

Quote:
I'm sure you know the type of student who believes life is over when high school's over, well I have no doubt that school admistrators don't help at all to rid that belief. Ask a teacher why a specific lesson is important in life? Well, it's essential in your studies next year, which will gain both importance and difficulty well into college, so if you don't get it now there's no way you'll make it through college, and we all know what'll happen to you then, right?
No, when kids ask that question here, the usual answer is "it will help you in the future. With jobs, you know".
I once asked, "Are we forced to take the IGCSE exams?", to what a teacher said, "No, but you'll regret it once you cannnot find a decent job and die poor and alone".
The whole concept of education has gone down the drain; I do not go to school for a high paying job in a corporation, I go to school to learn. It's only the degree what counts now. ****ing interest driven world I live in.
Quote:
Go along with the workings of this guy. He wrote, directed, scored, edited, produced and starred in a very intellegent science fiction film all for $7,000. The film is called Primer and it is in fact quite excellent, yesyesyes.
That's swell. I could go for that, but I would need to gather at least one grand to turn my ideas into a film. And a lot of unknown actors willing to do whatever I ask them.
Quote:
Yes you are being vague because I didn't understand what you just said in the slightest bit.
I'll try to explain it by association.
You know, a good film has got an interesting and captivating story [Literature]; great ambientation and scenery [Paintings]; the characteristics and clothing of the actors may be useful too [Sculptures]; and interesting music, or at least scores which go with the type of film don't hurt either [Music] (yes, there can be movies without music or sound. I'm a huge fan of silent cinematography, so tell ME about it).
Any other art form has got all of these?
Yeah, Opera. But I bet you cannot watch that as many times as you want in the comfort of your own home. Besides, Opera requires too much theory.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-15-2006, 02:15 AM   #96
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Ah. Now I understand. If you had said film instead of cinematography, I would've gotten it. Cinematography tends to only mean "photography for cinema" so I could only really get the visual arts thing.

Quote:
I was pretty sure that they said was that if you were homosexual you WILL get HIV, and furthermore, that 'straight' people are morally banned from using condoms. Must be the religious teachers of my school.
Hehe. I was lucky in sense that my public school had very little religion in its cirriculum, but there were still teachers who put their own beliefs into the lessons. Child development was taught by a self proclaimed "Secondary Virgin" (if you haven't heard the term, it's someone who's not a virgin but went to God and God gave them a clean slate....meaning you're supposedly a virgin again). I never took that class but it was also the detention room, and I spent many hours there looking at the motivational abstinence posters, as well as the posters of a birth defect project (which had grotesque pictures to match. I started calling the class "Dead Baby Class"). I mean, I'm surprised the teachers haven't figured it out, but putting a lot of psychological pressure on the students to no have sex tends to just make them want to have sex more.

Here's a little angered speech I recited a lot in high school when I got angry about the "fail now, fail forever" mindset, which is basically, let's face it, another way for the education system to say "No sex, no drugs". The main quote is "The choices you make now will effect you for the rest of your life". Now, that's quite a preachy quote, but there's a lot of students who really truly are affected by it. The pressure of always making the right decisions (and of course, acing the tests so you don't die poor and alone) causes all kinds of stress. And the student will want to relieve his/her stress. And what are the two universal stress relievers? Sex and Drugs!

----------------------------------------

New topic/revisitation to old topic. Read some more of Terence McKenna's "Food of the Gods" in a bookstore yesterday and read a short section about television addiction, and said some freaking thought-provoking stuff about it. (I'm going to try to re-articulate this, and I will do bad because not as smart as McKenna) First he related television to heroin.

It dilates time, makes it go by is a different way. And it offers an alternate reality of few dimensions. The difference between hot and cold is something that doesn't matter to someone who's high on herion, it's a reality without senses or sensation. Also herion users will talking about "getting their nod on" which means they will nod off into a state where there is no self, just as there is no self while enraptured by a television program.

He went on to talk about how's there more televisions than houses in this world, and that there was a statistic that said the average person watches five hours of television a day. Much like most addictions, people think they are in control of it and how much they watch, and like most addictions that's not true (but we don't notice it because it is such a universally accepted addiction).

Then, my favorite part, he was talking about things like content control, sponsorship, demographics (making a story more "accessable") is are ways the government can control your "trips" and make sure they are the way they want it to be. And that perhaps just like the British kept China under control by keeping its population on Opium, they are now keeping the population on television. I think a quote was "nothing like television and a little cocaine to turn the anti-establishment hippie into the consumerist yuppie". He said that would explain why people stopped fighting after the late sixties (and why many of the flower children became what they once fought) because the generation afterwards, especially around the 80's, is when the population gave into the "dominator drug".

This really made me think, and made me decide that when I become a filmmaker, I'm NOT CONDENSING ****. I'm never gonna make a "fun light-hearted movie", they may even be almost unwatchable. But just like the most disturbing dreams are the ones that say the most about oneself, my flicks may wake some folk up.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #97
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Ah. Now I understand. If you had said film instead of cinematography, I would've gotten it. Cinematography tends to only mean "photography for cinema" so I could only really get the visual arts thing.
"Film" or "Movie" remind me of United-Statesian 'entertainment' products; so I prefer to use "Cinematography" instead. It's all a matter of interests.

Quote:
But there were still teachers who put their own beliefs into the lessons
That's a very serious problem. If the pupil takes what he has learnt in class and forms his own opinion without taking the teacher's one seriously, then he is closer to maturity; or so I have been told. But the average uninterested student of the XXI Century, who has no judgement of his own, will buy anything the guy/gal who teaches says.
Of course, you shouldn't go to an extreme, like I, and be suspicious about most of the things history and social sciences teachers have to say.

Quote:
if you haven't heard the term, it's someone who's not a virgin but went to God and God gave them a clean slate....meaning you're supposedly a virgin again
That is something I'll never understand about religion.
Believers are allowed to mess up as many times as they want to, and ask for forgiveness later on. Giving place to more and more hipocresies over time.

With the excuse that G*d is forgiving, one might as well break every single commandment, and feel free of remorse or guilt.

Oh, but if you are a non-believer, you'll burn in hell. I like that idea.

Quote:
I never took that class but it was also the detention room, and I spent many hours there looking at the motivational abstinence posters, as well as the posters of a birth defect project (which had grotesque pictures to match. I started calling the class "Dead Baby Class"). I mean, I'm surprised the teachers haven't figured it out, but putting a lot of psychological pressure on the students to no have sex tends to just make them want to have sex more.
More than a couple of acquaintances of mine would like the idea of Victorian-era repression. If I prayed, I would thank 'the lord' every day for living in a liberal family.

On a personal level, I think the media takes too much importance on the subject of Sex. It is included in everything, subtly or graphically, from televisions shows (of all kinds, even child shows and movies hint it) to books.

What's the only necessary thing for a happy marriage? Good sex.
Screw (no pun intended) being romantic or just having a friend-like relationship with your spouse; all that matters is providing pleassure.
There are many ways of showing your appreciation to someone you love, and making love to them does not make it into the top of my list.

But don't get me wrong; I like sex*, however I'm just the kind of person who wouldn't cry or care if he didn't 'get' it.

*Or I WOULD like; whatever.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #98
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
The pressure of always making the right decisions (and of course, acing the tests so you don't die poor and alone) causes all kinds of stress. And the student will want to relieve his/her stress.
Recently, I have acquired a strong desire to change the course of my life, and make apparently wrong decisions in the near future. But not mistaken ones, just the ones that for my relatives would be a real waste; i.e. not going to university or something like that.

Quote:
New topic/revisitation to old topic. Read some more of Terence McKenna's "Food of the Gods" in a bookstore yesterday and read a short section about television addiction, and said some freaking thought-provoking stuff about it.
[...]
He said that would explain why people stopped fighting after the late sixties (and why many of the flower children became what they once fought) because the generation afterwards, especially around the 80's, is when the population gave into the "dominator drug".
Man, you are feeding my anti-television stance. This is very interesting.

The other day I had a huge argument with my father, just because of the fact that he kept flipping channels without staying on any programme for more than one minute, bothered me (and when something bothers me, my crude sarcasm takes over my quiet personality).
I cannot get it; what's the point of pushing the bottons of a remote control if there's nothing worth watching?

Relaxation?, that's why bubble-wrapping-paper was invented for.

Do you have any idea on McKenna's background?

--------------------------------------

Since we are going back to old topics:

-Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Now it all comes clearer. I saw that movie (I know, not the same than reading the book, but the only Thompson title I can get is Days of Ron) at 3 am some days ago, and stayed all the night watching it. I must have realised it was a Gilliam work.

-I have bought Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It seems very promising; if you haven't read it, go for it, it has a very important anti-consumerism point.

-I know that you don't like people to recommend books to you, but Camus' The Outsider and The Plague are books you may like. Damn, I adore this writer.

-Do you like Kafka?

----------------------------------------

Quote:
But just like the most disturbing dreams are the ones that say the most about oneself, my flicks may wake some folk up.
I bet you are the kind that likes to interprate dreams, and thinks that there is an underlying subconcious symbology in them. If I could remember my dreams, or furthermore lucid-dream, I would certainy be one.

What sort of movies would you like to direct?

If I made movies, they would most probably be irrational-symbolical-absurdist stories, disguised in a rational-pointless-political envelope.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #99
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
Of course, you shouldn't go to an extreme, like I, and be suspicious about most of the things history and social sciences teachers have to say.
I was talking to a Canadian roadie at a concert in Chicago, and he told me about a war in the 1800's between the English/Statesians and the French over Canada that they taught in his (Canadian) school and didn't realize that they didn't teach it in the States until he had spoken to some people...I hadn't even heard of this war. Supposedly they don't teach it because it was the only war we lost(excluding Veitnam since that's after a time when Press wasnt' as important, and of course this one because it just happened).

Quote:
On a personal level, I think the media takes too much importance on the subject of Sex.
I agree to a certain degree. I don't like the commercial manner in which they take importance to it, but (since I will later respond about what kind of movies I want to make) sex used realistically and unapologetically in stories that i both write and read, it gets my interest flowing. Since, the human psyche interests, and sexuality is just such a huge part of the pscyhe, my films will probably have a sexual nature to them (though probably more of a disturbing nature. Darkness rules!)

Quote:
Do you have any idea on McKenna's background
http://deoxy.org/mckenna.htm

I follow a lot of his work. He was really very intellegent and quite unique.

Quote:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Excellent film. It took me until the second viewing to realize how good it was, though, there's a lot of subtext.

Quote:
I know, not the same than reading the book
You'd be surprised. There's not a single line in the film that wasn't in the book. It was a very direct adaptation and they seriously did not change any of the words. Gilliam's visuals, pacing, and camera work and Depp and Del Toro's acting is the only thing they needed to add to turn it into a film. So it's also a really excellent and true adaptation, as well.

Quote:
I have bought Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
Go back to reply #72 to gain answer.

Quote:
Do you like Kafka?
It's very heavy stuff. I really respect him, but the only thing I've been able to read was Metamorphosis, but still, it wass 60 pages and felt like 200. I really liked it, but his other books hold the same amount of complexity (more even) and then are four times as long. I couldn't get through ten pages of The Trial.


Quote:
What sort of movies would you like to direct?
Horror movies where the horror does not lie in the action or the gore or the boo scares, but lies in the characters and their interaction. They would all have a surreal quality that would start accessable and "normal" to get the audiance involved, but then slowly shift deeper and deeper into a realm the audiance is not at all familiar with. Straight stories that bend more and more the further you get, until you're in a psychedelic spiral of fear and hate, but the change would be so subtle that you wouldn't notice it until you're there. The stories would never take place over more than a week and preferably within a single night (can't stand books that and movies that last months or even years). The symbolism and surrealism would not be political but emotional, and I would never over-edit...I would like to keep a single shot going for a good amount of time before I change. The score would be subtle and have as little brass as possible. The character focus would tend to only lie on one character (one person is complex enough, ain't one?). Yet, though the stories would be dreadful, there would be a sense of wonder beneath the dreadful and horrible surface. And the films would always remind how huge and detailed this planet/universe is.

And most of all, I would never hold back or dumb it down for the audiance, no matter how "taboo" it might seem to get.

....
Okay, I sound totally full of myself, don't I?


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #100
Shuz
 
Shuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 304
That sounds like the kind of dark film I would like to see.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #101
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Then you should totally read Homeostasis when it airs.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #102
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
I was talking to a Canadian roadie at a concert in Chicago, and he told me about a war in the 1800's between the English/Statesians and the French over Canada that they taught in his (Canadian) school and didn't realize that they didn't teach it in the States until he had spoken to some people...I hadn't even heard of this war.
Indeed, history is a subject far too biased. Every teacher or school or country will make it seem whatever is best for them.

I don't know if you've ever seen that 2003 A&E miniseries about Napoleon. In case you haven't seen it, DO NOT WATCH IT; If you already have, I think you'll agree with me that it makes Bonaparte look like an idiot.

I wonder how they would make Winston Churchill seem; I guess it wouldn't be so difficult for them to make him seem like an imbecile.

Quote:
Supposedly they don't teach it because it was the only war we lost(excluding Veitnam since that's after a time when Press wasnt' as important, and of course this one because it just happened)
What about Korea? The US of A didn't exactly 'win' that one.

Now that you mention it, what wars did 'America' win?

Quote:
Darkness rules!
At the risk of sounding like a gothic, I agree.

Quote:
Excellent film. It took me until the second viewing to realize how good it was, though, there's a lot of subtext.
And pretty weird too. Though I am not exactly a fan of, the rather explicit, drug abuse, the picture is great. I certainly enjoyed it, but I should watch it again.

This and Brazil are the only Gilliam works I've seen. Oh and Twelve Monkeys, but I didn't like that one at all.

Quote:
Go back to reply #72 to gain answer.
Er, I guess I should apologize; but due to the fact that I had to look for it in every post inside this thread, I am not going to.

Regarding Kafka, I have encountered the same problem on the Metamorphosis, but not one the rest of the books/stories I read by him. IU never gave the Trial a chance, though.

Quote:
Horror movies where the horror does not lie in the action or the gore or the boo scares, but lies in the characters and their interaction.
(...)
Yet, though the stories would be dreadful, there would be a sense of wonder beneath the dreadful and horrible surface.
Neat. Have you planned any ideas or plots, or do you just see this as something to work in the future?

Quote:
And the films would always remind how huge and detailed this planet/universe is.
It is the opposite with me. The universes I create are almost claustrophobically small, them being submissive places where the characters are bound to live, without them noticing the existance of freedom. Furthermore, the worlds of my unfinished-barelystarted-scripts are entirely fictional, for they are anything but Earth itself; Alternative-history & surrealism are the nearest thing to it, but they still don't describe me.

Quote:
I sound totally full of myself, don't I?
Don't we all?
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #103
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
what wars did 'America' win?
Well I guess I'm safe here to say that I don't believe any war can be won by anyone.

Quote:
Though I am not exactly a fan of, the rather explicit, drug abuse
Quoting Gilliam here (roughly at least), "I don't see Fear & Loathing as being a drug movie. Wild & psychedelic drugs just fuel our hero, as alcohol and cigarettes fuel Sam Spade."

Drugs in movies may go hand-in-hand with how I stated I feel about sex in movies. Drugs, just in general, are completely subjective and can mean so many different things. It's one of those symbols you can get anything out of. And I loved how they used it in Fear & Loathing because they use it to simulate a certain state of self that both completely explain the fall of love in '71, and also just a looping overabundance that feels way too familiar.

Quote:
Have you planned any ideas or plots, or do you just see this as something to work in the future?
See reply #101 .

Yes, I spend most of my time writing, and planning, and thinking, and that sort of thing is usually what I think about. I've had so many ideas I've completely lost and forgotten, and there's others that are just sitting there waiting to be told. And the ideas usually wind up in the formula that I previously stated.

Quote:
It is the opposite with me. The universes I create are almost claustrophobically small, them being submissive places where the characters are bound to live, without them noticing the existance of freedom. Furthermore, the worlds of my unfinished-barelystarted-scripts are entirely fictional, for they are anything but Earth itself; Alternative-history & surrealism are the nearest thing to it, but they still don't describe me.
Have we talked about Harold Pinter? He's an absurdist playwright that's just absolutely awesome, and sounds a bit like what you're saying.

Either way, if I had to state one message in my films, it's that in life, well, we're just plain missing some details that seem too small to exist.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #104
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Well I guess I'm safe here to say that I don't believe any war can be won by anyone.
I think the same; but the world seems to think that political change can be achieved by violence.

Quote:
"I don't see Fear & Loathing as being a drug movie. Wild & psychedelic drugs just fuel our hero, as alcohol and cigarettes fuel Sam Spade."
Indeed, that's what causes the events to take place, on a way.

But certain audiences might find it offensive or grotesque (not me. To give you an idea of the kind of world I live in, I saw both, PF: The wall & A Clockwork Orange when I was about eight years old; not that I got much out of them, thugh).

Drugs are another overrated issue.

I saw the movie again, this time I was able to watch the beginning. I liked it, the viewer certainly gets involved in this psychedellic (sp?) world, and feels the fear of the main character.

Quote:
See reply #101.

Yes, I spend most of my time writing, and planning, and thinking, and that sort of thing is usually what I think about. I've had so many ideas I've completely lost and forgotten, and there's others that are just sitting there waiting to be told. And the ideas usually wind up in the formula that I previously stated.
Other than Reply #101 & Homeostasis I meant.

It's a shame when a good and creative idea is not written down, and ends up forgotten; how many masterpieces has the world lost is one of the many things I wonder.

Quote:
Have we talked about Harold Pinter? He's an absurdist playwright that's just absolutely awesome, and sounds a bit like what you're saying.
I've read some parts of Pinter's works, but I have never read a full play of his, but it is mainly because I lack the time. He is quite good.

Quote:
Either way, if I had to state one message in my films, it's that in life, well, we're just plain missing some details that seem too small to exist.
I'd explain my concepts and writing style, but I reckon you don't want to hear it; plus I lack the time today.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2006, 09:42 PM   #105
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
I'd explain my concepts and writing style, but I reckon you don't want to hear it;
Well, I've bored you enough with mine, haven't I?


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #106
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Forgive my delay, but I couldn't find the time to think and type my concepts; I promise they'll be here next time I log in.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #107
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Sorry, I couldn't post yesterday due to the fact that I'm 'renting' a computer on this joints, and internet ain't working correctly.

As I said in an earlier post, if I made movies they would be irrational-symbolical-absurdist stories, disguised in a rational-pointless-political envelope.

I cannot settle in one genre, so of between the ideas which constantly pop into my head (I usually end up discarding most of them by the end of the day), you can find a science-fictionesque story, a WWI tale, several undescribable stories and even a western. Most of them would be in black and white, and if I only could, they would be silent. The soundtrack, well, I would put a lot of effort into it.

The importance of it would be centered around the characters and the world they live in, while the situation is utterly pointless.
Most of the characters would be uninterested people alienized from their surroundings in a never ending search for a certain thing, whether it's abstract or material; e.g., in one of the scripts I never started (the one I reckon is my best idea, regarding the setting and stuff) the main character is in a quest for extreme sadness.
For some reason, I am very attracted to the idea of making mistakes on purpose, that is to say, there would be several anacronyms (sp?) and continuity errors, for the sake of simbology. It's also unnecessary to describe the amount of political propaganda I would include.

The settings, as I've said before, would be entirely fictional; in some of my ideas the place and time would seem realistic (but they wouldn't be), and on others it would simply be a surrealist and unexplained setting. Also, the universe would be described as small, and 'freedom' would be a word removed from the dictionaries.

And finally, there would always be extremely irrational content, on certain levels, whether it's the whole movie itself, or sometimes just a scene.


I hope I haven't bored you too much, but my mental stability needs some egocentricity from time to time.


EDIT: Fe de erratas; I said that 'the situations would be entirely pointless', and also said that the characters would be in search for something. I must point out that the search would be metaphorical, except in the one about the bloke in search of sadness.

Last edited by El Virus; 02-04-2006 at 03:48 PM.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #108
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Sorry about the long wait to reply. If you haven't noticed, I've been gone from the boards for almost a good month.

Anyway, the stuff here is definitively Aburdism, which I'm all about, of course. If I may recommend more films, go for stuff written by Joseph Minion. His most recognizable work is that he wrote the script for Scorsese's After Hours, but it's not as good as two films I both strongly recommend: Motorama and Vampire's Kiss. While by definition Motorama is more absurdist, Vampire's kiss is equally as excellent. They both seem right up your alley.

I do honestly think you should get some writing in. Even if you don't take it seriously, it never hurts to build a skill. It's very intimidating at first, true, but after you get one screenplay done, it's not going to be too difficult to write another. There's something about finally putting your ideas on paper that gives you new perspectives on the idea and the way you think in general. My scripts wind not being a bit like the original idea. That's why I love it; it's such a ride.

Plus, we got all these crappy writers nowadays that are doing what's already been done. It would be refreshing if you got into the game of it, but it seems you work hard at making your stuff creative and original. And you can't complain about how movies suck if you're not trying to make them better yourself, right?

As a personal update, the past month has been an introspective one. And while I will always write, I'm planning on focusing on recording and audio engineering, and overall, music in general.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2006, 06:13 PM   #109
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
The square "(", ")" are not working, so I will have to quote as I write.

------------------------
------------------------

Quote: JofaGuht Said "Sorry about the long wait to reply. If you haven't noticed, I've been gone from the boards for almost a good month."

Yeah, I did notice, mainly because you haven't been the only one who's been away. Fortunately you came back.

-----------------------
-----------------------

Quote:"Anyway, the stuff here is definitively Absurdism, which I'm all about, of course."

Indeed, absurdism and existentialism are my two philosophies. I'd describe my ideas as Kafkian-esque, but I do not want to compare my self to such a genial mind.

------------------------
------------------------

"I do honestly think you should get some writing in. Even if you don't take it seriously, it never hurts to build a skill. It's very intimidating at first, true, but after you get one screenplay done, it's not going to be too difficult to write another. There's something about finally putting your ideas on paper that gives you new perspectives on the idea and the way you think in general. My scripts wind not being a bit like the original idea. That's why I love it; it's such a ride."

I am planning to give my Olivetti typewriter a try and begin writing a script. I took this decision due to the increasing amount of sadness and desperation I've been going through.
My problem is not ruining my ideas, so I usually end up deciding to write it once I'm older; but I guess it's only the intimidation as you said.

------------------------
------------------------

"After Hours"

The only Scorsese film I ever liked. It took me a long time to find that one in video stores.
I'll try to find the other ones you recommended, as soon as I get to BA.

------------------------
------------------------

"As a personal update, the past month has been an introspective one. And while I will always write, I'm planning on focusing on recording and audio engineering, and overall, music in general."

Me too, due to, as I've said earlier, the depressing time of uncertainty I am going through.

Only thing is that I have taken a great interest in film making (yeah, this thread has something to do with it). The only problem is my country; you cannot be a serious artist here. But Europe, that would be my thing, unfortunately, that continent has already enough immigrants, my only chance relies on meeting a European person who drags me to that continent.

Also, my musical side has increased; and I have decided that the Trumpet is the instrument for me. But that is a totally unrelated issue.

---------------------------
---------------------------

So, how has your life been going Jofa?

Last edited by El Virus; 02-23-2006 at 06:28 PM.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #110
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
I took this decision due to the increasing amount of sadness and desperation I've been going through.
I've been there before, and really, at least the way it worked for me, once I got a grasp on my passion, that "trapped" feeling disappears. Now, that being said, the beautiful lack of highschool in my life might have had something to do with leaving that stage as well. But my suggestions include researching EVERYTHING including things you think you're not even interested in.

Of course, I can't speak for you. It's a very painful thing watching people lose confidence in themselves; I seem to be surrounded by them. Problem is: these people are far smarter and more creative than I'll ever be. Now, sometimes it's just a phase and people get over it. But there's people who don't as well. One of my closest friends have recently shut themselves out due to a self-esteem that can't fill a bottle cap, and while I'm probably just being worrisome, somehow I feel that call about an overdose or something along those lines has become a little too much of a possibility.

Quote:
So, how has your life been going Jofa?
I have a concrete feeling that this summer will be a summer of high Novelty.

On the actual side, pretty boring. Normal stuff, doing my classwork and trying to get a liscence (I failed, but I've got two more chances), excetera.

But on the intangible, it's been quite exciting. I'm catching ideas like hiccups. And, while I'll always love movies (and I'll make at least one someday), this new passion seems so strong I feel absolutely rediculous for not realizing it before. It's like I've been in the closet or something. In fact, I may start a thread on this quite soon.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2006, 06:38 AM   #111
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
I've been there before, and really, at least the way it worked for me, once I got a grasp on my passion, that "trapped" feeling disappears.
Perhaps I am, the only person on Earth, or perhaps mine is a normal thing, but I have a love-hate relationship with sadness (this doesnít mean I like or want to have miserable situations every day, I can only take a couple per month).
On one way I love it, it is my fuel, what makes me do things; right now, my seldom artistic gifts are at its best, while on times of happiness they are practically reserved to rational behaviour; and every now and then, when I sit I reflect about the cause of my melancholia, I get an indescribably strange feeling, which can be compared to only a few other sensations.
But on the other hand, being sad means that there is a tragedy on my life, and this is the part I loathe; I get too worried, too stressed and frustrated, and the only thing I think about is.
This is why I spend my time reading and watching depressing and absurd stories, because the misery isnít mine, while the sad feeling is still there.

Quote:
But my suggestions include researching EVERYTHING including things you think you're not even interested in.
Me too; I plan on leaving nothing to chance, everything will have a metaphor and a meaning hidden inside.

Quote:
Now, sometimes it's just a phase and people get over it. But there's people who don't as well. One of my closest friends have recently shut themselves out due to a self-esteem that can't fill a bottle cap, and while I'm probably just being worrisome, somehow I feel that call about an overdose or something along those lines has become a little too much of a possibility.
I hope your friend gets better; Iím the kind of person who shut himself up far too often, so I think I can moderately understand what you mean. I must point out, that I keep my feelings to myself because so far Iíve never met anyone in person whom I want to be close to; that is why I join forums, to talk the most profound aspects of my personality, however.
If you are worried about me doing drugs, donít, I have a strong stance against substance-abuse and alcohol (the latter one is reserved to myself, I have nothing against a person who drinks with moderation).
And while suicide is around my mind every now and then (them wise people say itís healthy to think about suicide, murder, etc. as long as they donít go to an extreme), I respect my life enough and am too much of a coward to push it forward.
My problem is my stance on Death: I donít care about it; I donít fear it at all. So at times of sadness I tend not to pay attention to my safety (you know, like crossing an avenue when the traffic is still going, and that sort of thing) and well being, which will someday have some serious consequences.

What Iíve just said may sound rather strong, or ĎOMG you are so ****ed upí, but it isnít as extreme as it might seem from reading my biased posts.

Quote:
But on the intangible, it's been quite exciting. I'm catching ideas like hiccups. And, while I'll always love movies (and I'll make at least one someday), this new passion seems so strong I feel absolutely ridiculous for not realizing it before. It's like I've been in the closet or something. In fact, I may start a thread on this quite soon.
Itís amazing how our interests drift with the course of our lives; some of us have periods of entirely different interests, while others remain the same all along.

Music is a great subject, one of my favourite ones indeed. What aspect of it/what sort oí music, other than audio engineering (whose concept I am not sure about), have you gained interest in?

Do you play any instrument?

Last edited by El Virus; 03-01-2006 at 07:26 AM.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #112
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
Perhaps I am, the only person on Earth, or perhaps mine is a normal thing, but I have a love-hate relationship with sadness
You're not the only person on earth like that. And I guess I am a little bit, though not entirely. I just like experience in general, and that means I embrace negative experiences too. Since most of the times I'm depressed, it has to do with having a painful lack of experiences, I'm not a huge supporter of the feeling, and enthusiasm & wonder is a much bigger drive of my art than...suffering as they say.

Quote:
This is why I spend my time reading and watching depressing and absurd stories, because the misery isnít mine, while the sad feeling is still there.
It doesn't really have to do with wanting darkness; it has to do with feeling something. I can't stand movies that don't make me feel anything. To quote Neil LaBute: "Only to indifference do I say: **** you!".

I saw Capote recently. It's really freaking heavy and I recommend it. I think it deserves all the hype it's been getting.

Quote:
If you are worried about me doing drugs, donít, I have a strong stance against substance-abuse and alcohol
I put myself in a catagory among a small many, "pro-drug, anti-addiction". I don't think it's the drugs as much as it is the habit, routine, oh, and of course people with a complete lack of confidence in themselves. It's funny, out where I live, it's not the drugs that the government tells us to fear that are the main problem. In fact, it's the drugs the government are giving us. I know so many more people who have OD'd or gotten seriously addicted to drugs like Vicoden, Valium, Xanax, Oxycontin, Percocet, etc., more than, say, all those drugs on the DEA's Schedule I. It seems these people who get addicted, it has nothing to do with the drug, it has to with the fact people will **** themselves up in anyway possible, doesn't matter what drug it is, doesn't matter if it comes from under your sink.

And, more than that, addiction comes from ANYTHING. From exercise to pain to sex to even the dopamine your brain releases when you take really hot baths.

But, while I don't like to talk about it much, I'm definitely about the educated (emphasis on educated) use of tryptamine psychedelics, like psilocybin mushrooms, salvia divinorum, LSD, and some others; drugs that aren't addictive, and are known to produce more awareness than they do ignorance. But, well, Jofa likes to stay a little quiet about this side of himself.

Quote:
My problem is my stance on Death: I donít care about it; I donít fear it at all. So at times of sadness I tend not to pay attention to my safety (you know, like crossing an avenue when the traffic is still going, and that sort of thing) and well being, which will someday have some serious consequences.
I see where you're coming from. I think I fear death a little more than I used to, I think life is a little more precious than a lot of people believe. But I'm also, in a way, looking forward to it. For some reason I feel like death would be the ultimate sensation, the ultimate experience. Like, I don't want it right now, but when it comes I think I'll embrace, even if it comes a little earlier than I'll think.

Next time you cross that street, though, think about this: You won't die, you'll wind up in a bed for thirty years with no ability to anything whatsoever and you won't be physically able to kill yourself, and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong". So, yeah, look both ways.

Quote:
Music is a great subject, one of my favourite ones indeed. What aspect of it/what sort oí music, other than audio engineering (whose concept I am not sure about), have you gained interest in?

Do you play any instrument?
I'll create a thread in a couple days. Right now I've really got to get some work done, but after that, you'll get endless paragraphs.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2006, 11:54 PM   #113
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
You're not the only person on earth like that. And I guess I am a little bit, though not entirely. I just like experience in general, and that means I embrace negative experiences too. Since most of the times I'm depressed, it has to do with having a painful lack of experiences, I'm not a huge supporter of the feeling, and enthusiasm & wonder is a much bigger drive of my art than...suffering as they say.
Emotions in general are good for inspiration, but the kind of things you are inspired to do while in happiness, differ from those you may perform in sadness.
At least, this happens to me.

Quote:
I saw Capote recently. It's really freaking heavy and I recommend it. I think it deserves all the hype it's been getting.
Yeah, I want to see that one and "Good night, and good luck".

Quote:
I put myself in a catagory among a small many, "pro-drug, anti-addiction". I don't think it's the drugs as much as it is the habit, routine, oh, and of course people with a complete lack of confidence in themselves. It's funny, out where I live, it's not the drugs that the government tells us to fear that are the main problem.
I understand what you mean, but I'm sure people will get addicted or obsessed somehow.
I think you are right on the government thing.
I must admit that propaganda worked for me; back in the 90s, there were so many 'don't do drugs' commercials that I wouldn't even take an aspirine, because I was so afraid of addiction. Of course, when I grew up I barely cared about the subject.
Still, fear isn't a good way to stop problems in society, propaganda-makers will tell you that drugs are bad, and this and that, but they will never tell you the one important thing: one might argue that there's no real point in using them.

Quote:
In fact, it's the drugs the government are giving us. I know so many more people who have OD'd or gotten seriously addicted to drugs like Vicoden, Valium, Xanax, Oxycontin, Percocet, etc., more than, say, all those drugs on the DEA's Schedule I. It seems these people who get addicted, it has nothing to do with the drug, it has to with the fact people will **** themselves up in anyway possible, doesn't matter what drug it is, doesn't matter if it comes from under your sink.
Now, I entirely agree to this. People take too much pills and medicines, and prescriptions are less important within pharmacists.

I'd describe my opinions, but I have to go to sleep, it's late right now.

Quote:
And, more than that, addiction comes from ANYTHING. From exercise to pain to sex to even the dopamine your brain releases when you take really hot baths.
Tell me about it, amongst my many mental issues (paranoia, schyzoid disorder, hipocondriasis, etc.), I've been told to be obsessed with hygiene.

Quote:
But, while I don't like to talk about it much, I'm definitely about the educated (emphasis on educated) use of tryptamine psychedelics, like psilocybin mushrooms, salvia divinorum, LSD, and some others; drugs that aren't addictive, and are known to produce more awareness than they do ignorance. But, well, Jofa likes to stay a little quiet about this side of himself.
Lysergic acid (LSD) and other hallucinogens are believed to induce Schyzophrenia, and other sorts of mental illnesses or disabilities.

Other than that, and some minor ethical issues, I cannot contradict you; specially since you refer to 'educated' use of them as a treatment.

Quote:
But I'm also, in a way, looking forward to it. For some reason I feel like death would be the ultimate sensation, the ultimate experience. Like, I don't want it right now, but when it comes I think I'll embrace, even if it comes a little earlier than I'll think.
Same here.

What I do hate is when doctors begin to put numbers to it, "Statistics show you've got ten more months to live"
That would ruin the experience for me (up to the ninth month, eventually I'd want to drop dead again).

Quote:
Next time you cross that street, though, think about this: You won't die, you'll wind up in a bed for thirty years with no ability to anything whatsoever and you won't be physically able to kill yourself, and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong". So, yeah, look both ways.
I was forced to stop studying guitar when my teacher was ran over by a bus. He spent two months in a cold and sad hospital, and lost sensibility in his right hand. A whole life thrown over board just because a reckless bus driver didn't stop on the red light (my teacher, according to witnesses, was on his full right to cross the street).

This is what I do fear, why I don't risk my life and why I would never try to kill myslef: surviving.
I feel a tremendous amount of respect for people who have lost arms, legs, etc. I would be able to bear through those experiences, or just the trauma itself.
People assume that I'm afraid death, when I am only afraid of pain.

Also, I look two ways before crossing the street all the time, not because of me, but because of the driver. However, I was riding my bicycle through a busy street once, and I made the wrong turn. Fortunately, the only things that were damaged were my bike and the driver's windshield. I got lucky that time, I really did.

Quote:
and no one can do it for you because the government thinks it's "morally wrong"
Oh, you are for euthanasia. Is there anything we don't agree on?

Quote:
I'll create a thread in a couple days. Right now I've really got to get some work done, but after that, you'll get endless paragraphs.
I'll look forward to it, then.

Last edited by El Virus; 03-01-2006 at 07:25 AM.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #114
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
People take too much pills and medicines, and prescriptions are less important withing pharmacists.
Did I ever tell you my grandfather is a psychoanalyst? I think I did...but yeah, he has the ability to perscribe medication, though he rarely does since he knows enough about psychology to know that in most cases, that's not the solution.

Have you ever noticed that popular anti-depressants (along is ADD medication) seem to only be on the market for three years until they realize it's bad for you? Then it's replaced by the "new drug" that winds up equally as bad.

And now there's these killing sprees from people who go off Paxil. The tragic irony/poetic justice both aggravates me and makes me chuckle a little bit.

Quote:
Lysergic acid (LSD) and other hallucinogens are believed to induce Schyzophrenia, and other sorts of mental illnesses or disabilities.
There was a certain type of LSD in the seventies called "orange sunshine" that's the main reason those disodesr are associated with it. It can also speed up some genetic disorders that would have come eventually. Other than that, most of it is propagande. But, meh, I like mushrooms better anyway.

Quote:
I cannot contradict you
I've done a lot of both literary and hands-on research. So, I must say on this occasion, you are correct. I've read up enough that, not to sound egotistic, but I'd probably have the upper hand in arguments on these topics. There's still plenty more I need to learn, but a lot of these substances are so unique that nobody knows everything about them.

Quote:
What I do hate is when doctors begin to put numbers to it, "Statistics show you've got ten more months to live"
That would ruin the experience for me (up to the ninth month, eventually I'd want to drop dead again).
Yeah, after my aunt got told she had a month, she lasted a week. I don't blame her.

Quote:
Fortunately, the only things that were damaged were my bike and the driver's windshield
As long as I'd get the guy's windshield, I'd be happy.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #115
El Virus
Junior Member
 
El Virus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing
Posts: 485
Quote:
Have you ever noticed that popular anti-depressants (along is ADD medication) seem to only be on the market for three years until they realize it's bad for you? Then it's replaced by the "new drug" that winds up equally as bad.

And now there's these killing sprees from people who go off Paxil. The tragic irony/poetic justice both aggravates me and makes me chuckle a little bit.
That's an interesting point, agravated by the fact some of these medicines tend to have worse side-effects than the thing they are trying to cure.

Quote:
I've done a lot of both literary and hands-on research. So, I must say on this occasion, you are correct. I've read up enough that, not to sound egotistic, but I'd probably have the upper hand in arguments on these topics. There's still plenty more I need to learn, but a lot of these substances are so unique that nobody knows everything about them.
Hands on?

I wonder what kind of technical books I may find on your bookshelf.

Anyway, I must claim ignorance on the subject; I've read a lot about the 'common' types of drugs from the Forensic Science books I have, but the ones you mentioned are practically unknown to me.

My mother, though, she worked on Toxicology for several years.
El Virus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #116
JofaGuht
 
JofaGuht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 938
Quote:
That's an interesting point, agravated by the fact some of these medicines tend to have worse side-effects than the thing they are trying to cure.
It's funny, because a lot of these pills are availabe for the side-effect, and the actual effect is completely different.

Viagra, I can't remember what it was originally for, I think it was muscle-building. Well, what it's used for now is actually a side effect of what it was originally for, but a bunch or executives thought it would be a good way to sell it.

Quote:
I've read a lot about the 'common' types of drugs from the Forensic Science books I have, but the ones you mentioned are practically unknown to me.
That's mostly because they make drug dealers absolutely no money, since it's not addictive and the experiences aren't necessarily pleasant. There's little popularity in them, but they're completely antagonized in the US government (probably because they're partly responsible for huge protest movements we had in the late 60s against the Vietnam war). Anyway, I'd suggest www.erowid.org for science & information that may be missing from your books.


There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > The Calavera Cafť > David Lynch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.