lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars: Path of Destruction *Bane novel*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #41
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
So not anything post-Ruusan that we don't already know. That is a bit disappointing...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #42
SithStarSlayer
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Was it pretty much a "word for word" copy from the comic or from different viewpoints, etc.?

You hit the nail squarely on the head. I went into this 'reading' thinking that I would finally get an awesome Sith Novel. Aside from his early life on Kessel and all the Kotor retcons that Drew could muster, very little brand-new material was presented. This isn't to say it was a waste; rather, it is to say how much more the book could have been. There was alot left undiscovered.

Personally, I think it was done just to lead us into another Bane novel.
That being said, I bought the Novel and it was good enough to read in one day.

I loved the irony that was implied by the Revan retcons most of all.
PM for me details.
SithStarSlayer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #43
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I like the look of the book. Hopefully, I'll get the book for Christmas.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 AM   #44
Hayden Kered
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithStarSlayer
You hit the nail squarely on the head. I went into this 'reading' thinking that I would finally get an awesome Sith Novel. Aside from his early life on Kessel and all the Kotor retcons that Drew could muster, very little brand-new material was presented. This isn't to say it was a waste; rather, it is to say how much more the book could have been. There was alot left undiscovered.
Yeah, I thought the book would at least go beyond Ruusan, at least a couple of chapters. It would have been nice to find out more, but maybe that'll be in a new book.

I QUIT LF!
Hayden Kered is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #45
SithStarSlayer
Rookie

Me too. I was hoping for more regarding Zannah, and to see where Bane decided to base his operations from. Smart marketing, if you ask me. Leave us hanging and we'll buy the sequel...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 AM   #46
splintercell56
Rookie

Just picked up the book today and read the whole thing. It was amazing, tho more so probably because I never read the comic version? But then again I prefer books, only question is will their be a sequel or is that just conjecture as of now?

I will say it was a lot better then the new Legacy of the Force book series. Is it just me or did the New Jedi Order ruin star wars?
splintercell56 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #47
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I picked up the paperback version of Path of Destruction last week. Definitely an enjoyable read and I look forward to the sequel whenever it comes out on paperback. I thought Mr. Karpyshyn did an excellent job of showing us how Dessel became Darth Bane.

I didn't like
spoiler:
how the author portrayed Bane relying on Darth Revan for so much info. Revan's time was almost 3,000 years prior to Bane coming onto the scene. What about all the other Sith Lords that had to have existed in that time period? None of them left any holocrons for future Sith to find?

Also, the bit about Darth Revan coming up with the idea for the Rule of Two, one to embody the power and the other to crave it, didn't sit right with me. If Revan came up with the idea then why didn't he implement it himself?
In spite of what I didn't like, I thought the book was pretty good. I like most of what Mr. Karpyshyn did to preserve the essence of the Jedi vs. Sith story but IMO he painted a more realistic picture of events instead of holding fast to the cartoonish excesses presented in the comic book version.

Mr. Karpyshyn actually took the time to address some of the criticism leveled at his Darth Bane novel on his starwars.com blog. In the blog post he does apologize for his mistaken PoD reference to Vaapad.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #48
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
He painted a more realistic picture of events instead of holding fast to the cartoonish excesses presented in the comic book version
Thats the reason I enjoyed the Novel, I can't stand the comic, for the simple fact it's more like Narnia than Star Wars, with the half man half beast Lord Valanthyne(sp), and the giant green sperm! Ridiculous
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #49
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
I havent seen it posted here yet so just to say a sequel to this book is coming out this year.

"Shelly called me late last week to propose an additional hardcover this fall. THIS fall. Yep. Del Rey figured the market could bear one more, and since the Darth Bane novel was a hit, a follow-up, written by Drew, seemed the best idea. So the untitled Feb. 09 hardcover (previously the "Plagueis" novel) has been moved up, and Drew agreed to continue Bane's story. So we're off and running."
―Sue Rostoni on the Bane Sequel[src] December 26, 2007

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #50
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
I know I'm late to the party, but I just started to read this book. Within the first nine chapters, I found a mess of grammar issues. Since my sister is a English Professor, I thought I would have her read through a few chapters. I thought I was seeing things, so I called in the troops and heavy armor. I was completely right. His writting level is around the seventh grade. If you pay close attention to his writting, he does not understand how to use F. A. N. B. O. Y. S.. Second he goes on for several lines without any punctuation, which results in run-on sentences. Even though I personally have grammar issues, I have good editors on standby. Someone really needs to hold Del Ray responsible for producing this crap.

Enough of the bashing. After reading through the first nine chapters, I did like the story's direction. I want to find out more about Bane's Sith Trooper experiences. I have never read the comicbooks, so I'm very new to this story. Up until the exitance of KotOR, I didn't know that Bane had existed. I do like Bane's inward struggles, and I hope the writter continues to explore the character's cognitions.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #51
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Saruman
I havent seen it posted here yet so just to say a sequel to this book is coming out this year.
Really? I started a separate thread about it on 2007 June 22.
Darth Bane sequel coming in December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source
Within the first nine chapters, I found a mess of grammar issues... His writting level is around the seventh grade... Someone really needs to hold Del Ray responsible for producing this crap.
I guess my reading level must be around the 7th grade level because I don't recall having many concerns about grammar. Remember you're talking about the guy that was the lead writer for KotOR. IMO the story flowed well and if I found grammar problems that would have adversely impacted the story flow for me. I do recall one spelling error but I forgot what page it was on.

Last edited by Char Ell; 08-19-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #52
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
When punctuation is not used correctly, the intent of the sentence is changed.

2004-2008
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #53
Dessel001
Lurker

I'm really getting into this book. Unlike many sith lords I have seen Bane is
not hollow at all. He is a deep character with his own motives. One of my favorite parts of the book is where Dessel has that argument with the republic cammander and their are so many different points of view that
I never took into thinking. I used to think jedi are good sith are evil simple as that but now, the book has me questioning what I used to think and I love books like that.
Dessel001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2007, 01:54 AM   #54
DarthExile27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessel001
I'm really getting into this book. Unlike many sith lords I have seen Bane is
not hollow at all. He is a deep character with his own motives. One of my favorite parts of the book is where Dessel has that argument with the republic cammander and their are so many different points of view that
I never took into thinking. I used to think jedi are good sith are evil simple as that but now, the book has me questioning what I used to think and I love books like that.
I agree he's a deep and well thought out character, I find myself rooting for him most of the way. He went through so much crap in his life and then became a true Dark Lord of the Sith. Also I never really liked the whole darkside of the force, but this book has made me rethink my whole perspective on the Sith.

"Now it's enough."
-Darth Bane after killing Fohargh
DarthExile27 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #55
SithStarSlayer
Rookie

Any word on third novel in this series?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #56
Ali1392
Rookie

none that ive seen but the second one was good esspecially the changes that you can see from Zannah thoughout the book
Ali1392 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #57
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
I thought it was just supposed to be a duology; it fits in nicely with the "Rule of Two," don't you think? I haven't read them but I plan to someday soon! Drew Karpyshyn and John Jude Palencar FTW.

Last edited by Serpentine Cougar; 06-02-2008 at 01:16 AM.
Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 AM   #58
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

People can read Mr. Karpyshyn's thoughts on the possibility of a third Darth Bane novel on his starwars.com blog
Quote:
Q: Any plans for another Bane novel?
A: I'd love to do a third Bane novel. However, there are no official plans yet. Ultimately that decision is made by Lucas and Random House/Del Rey, based on their publishing schedule. From the sales of the first two novels I'm pretty confident they'll want to do another, but for now I just have to cross my fingers and wait.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #59
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Since I have never read any other sources, I think this could become a really cool series. Darth Zannah's beginnings were pretty impressive. If they expand on Zannah's story, I think she has the ability to remove Mara Jade as my all time favorite. I recommend this series to anyone.

2004-2008
Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #60
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

What as a fanfic, or another amazing book by Timothy Zahn?

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > Star Wars: Path of Destruction *Bane novel*