lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: To the Modders: EAWEd?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Lew

To the Modders: EAWEd?

I've seen a lot of posts for the start of projects for a game that hasn't been released yet..... :

Myself, I'd only post "news" about a mod when it's done, because (like all mods for all games), not all of them will see the light of day (glow of monitor? lol)

Anyway...

I see lots of plans for mods from different areas, and they look interesting and such. However, I haven't seen a team assemble to create a basic editor for the game. Keep in mind- Petro has said that the game will be accessable (you can get at the info, like in RTW or any number of games), but it will not come with an editor!

So, how about a team to make a basic editor for EAW? Think the good old TIEed and XvTEd (I got a LOT of miles on XvTEd, some good missions too!), or even RebEd for the Rebellion folks- just a simple program that would let people easily play with the unit values if they so choose.

-Lew
Lew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Juggernaut1985
Rookie

Or you could use notepad, same thing really. But the XMLs are not as easy to get to as you might believe, they will be under another filetype like the INIs were under a .BIG in Generals.

Writer for Project Mars.

Co-Founder of LoW.
Juggernaut1985 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #3
Stalkerh
Rookie

It could be ridiculously easy like Star Trek: Armada, or more like XWA... where you have to go into an EXE to do stat editing.

I'm leaning more towards the Armada end of things, but that's just because this is an RTS.

Stalker
Star Wars: Fleet Command Lead Developer
Stalkerh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
CondorFalco
Rookie

Even if the game does not come with an editor, I am hoping that since many of the Petro team are ex-C&C, that editing will be very easy to do (like in Generals, RA2), and therefore making editors shouldn't be too hard (I don't know anything though about programing/creating editors though, so what I'm saying could just be stupid). RA2 editing and Generals editing were easy once you got beyond the MIX or BIG files (which was quite easy I think, judging on the speed that a BIG extractor/packer came out).
CondorFalco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
Xyvik
Rookie

The truth is that, regardless of game platform, my mod will live on. If I have to switch it to Supreme Commander, Age of Empires 3, or any number of new RTS games that come out that can actually be edited, then so be it.

I'd much prefer to do it here, but if LucasArts turns gay and decides against it, then I shall take my business elsewhere. The Sith War shall always live on!

The Sith War: EaW Total Conversion
Arcani Arts: 3D Art

"Willkommen ins verderben"

Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani
Xyvik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Modding forum > To the Modders: EAWEd?