lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Romance Options for Kotor 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #41
Sith_Reven
Rookie

So I guess it does sound a bit like a soap opera. But that is what makes it good. I'll tell you what made EIII Revenge of the Sith so good it that it was dark and tragic and it had the romance in it, but not mushy romance..seeeee and the kotor storyline needs that extra aspect. It adds so much to the story and I would venture far enough to say that it would influence the characters decisions. It may sound like I am referring to Anikan's actions and in a way I am. Your character can fall to the dark side because of things like failed romance or it could be that one decision that the character makes to remain on the path of light and in the end helps the jedi blah, saves the day, blah blah, and is the hero with their chosen party member or "significant other" at the players side. Catch my drift??

Savior, conquerer, Hero, Villian... You are all things Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the darkness nor the light. You will forever stand alone.
-Malak
Sith_Reven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #42
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I catch it and see your point. Romance should not be mushy but add a bit of flavor because it was a part of the original films. A completed storyline takes the shotgun seat though.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2006, 02:19 AM   #43
eye_of_osiris02
Lurker

Romance is a must have for KOTOR3. I loved having the ability to tease and embarrass (and--whether it be the right word or not--seduce) Bastilla in KOTOR1 and I found the end very rewarding no matter how brief it was. KOTOR2 felt empty with the pitiful plot between your character and the Handmaiden, and the Atton bit doesn't even count. If having a romance plot IS just to much to ask for then at least give the character the option of flirting.

The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins--but in the heart of its strength lies weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.

Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
eye_of_osiris02 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #44
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
I catch it and see your point. Romance should not be mushy but add a bit of flavor because it was a part of the original films. A completed storyline takes the shotgun seat though.
I believe you are right. I also believe that these romantic avenues and a really well done, completed storyline are one in the same.

As far as KotOR is concerned, I don't believe you can have one without the other.
Without the romantic connections and character involvement, this would be nothing more than an empty shell of an RPG, with nothing much to care about except credits and killing.

I hope the makers of K3 will get back to this mindframe when the storyline is created.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #45
Chira
Rookie

Well, hello there...

I think we need to see what really happens when someone in the party "screws somthing up"... Why NPCs can't be temporary ?
For example... If PC break someone's heart, he or she can leave the party or
attack him(her) if the wound is really deep...
In kotor and tsl, NPCs don't think much with their own head ( except Kreia )...
Chira is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #46
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Ahhh, direct feedback from romantic miscues, interesting.
That could have a great impact on influence, I'll bet.

That could also open an avenue for side quests.

Too cool.

Welcome Chira.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2006, 06:35 AM   #47
Chira
Rookie

I can't recall if there was any of this "NPC chaos" things in other RPGs so this could be one reason more for lucasarts to earn more fans

Anyway, this is hard for programming cause there would be much more endings in the game
Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #48
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Not if it were a side quest type of thing that could unlock opportunities to question about the past. That was an interesting idea about the feedback.

Old 02-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #49
Chira
Rookie

Well, I was thinking about simple love. This can be one of the reasons for
temporary NPCs like in some older RPGs. It's more dynamic and therefore,
it is more interesting. Side quests can be based upon these things but even
without them, just the fact that you can screw up your own party (and maybe
lose a potential good jedi or soldier) is fun
Your ideas are good too, i'm in love with them but that makes the game more
complicated to be realized...

Someone wise and powerful should make them agree with all we want...
Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 AM   #50
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

That is why I don't bother with the technical side of things. It's just better to dream and imagine what will happen. Love is not really that simple. In fact it is very complicated when you try to put your life in perspective and maintain your relationship. I'm not saying that I'm an expert because I've never been in a relationship like that but my point is that love is part of the human condition and it's not just a simple matter of one loving another, it encompasses the whole self. Everything in balance; the lesson of yin and yang.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 AM   #51
MdKnightR

I would like a romance in K3, but just not of the Brokeback Mountain variety.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #52
ForceFightWMe12
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Dragon's Dogma
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! Hot Topic Starter 
I have to wholeheartedly agree with that one

Quote:
Romance is a must have for KOTOR3. I loved having the ability to tease and embarrass (and--whether it be the right word or not--seduce) Bastilla in KOTOR1 and I found the end very rewarding no matter how brief it was. KOTOR2 felt empty with the pitiful plot between your character and the Handmaiden, and the Atton bit doesn't even count. If having a romance plot IS just to much to ask for then at least give the character the option of flirting.

That I also agree with. In KotOR II...it was...pathetic, to say the least. But then again so was the whole KotOR II storyline...anyway. I liked the ability to choose, like in TSL, but I also liked the angst and stuff that 1 had. I spent hours trying out different dialouge sequences with Bastila on the Ebon Hawk, and I was surprised by some of the things that happened...
Though I have no problem with it being gushy or not gushy. Romance is Romance

ForceFightWMe12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 02:41 AM   #53
Jo-El
Lurker

Hey guys i'm new here. Anyways i still personally want Bastilas and Revans relationship to carry on and move forward.
Jo-El is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #54
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-El
Hey guys i'm new here. Anyways i still personally want Bastilas and Revans relationship to carry on and move forward.
Welcome to the Forums, Jo-El. I also want Revan and Bastila's relationship to continue and maybe the Exile can romance with Atton or Disciple (Male) or Handmaiden or Visas or Mira (Male).
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #55
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Pottsie, I think you meant FEMALE for the relationship between Atton/Disciple and the Exile. Unless of course your intention was that the Exile was gay and the more femine of the two
Still I think romance should be a part of it. To tell a story, you need the whole story including love because love is a part of the human condition.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 AM   #56
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
My vote is for romance but something a bit more envolved that can unfold earlier in the game if you make a point of gaining influence and talking to the right characters, or could be dragged out till the end as in Kotor I.

As others have suggested it would also be interesting to see consequences, such as if you have someone like Disciple fall in love with the PC and the PC rejects him so he starts falling to the dark side. Or redeem someone like Sion (who hints at loving the femal PC)

I liked the influencing bit of KOTORII but it was underdeveloped there should be more perks for having good and bad relationships, ie good relationship adds + modifiers to the people in the friendship and visa versa for LS and flip it for DS.

I know some people don't care about the romance so there shuold be options to cut them off as in KOTOR I early without penalty but I think it's more interesting to see what effect you can have on people.

For instance even though I would like to play DS more I don't because I hate having to say obnoxious lines all the time just to get DS points there should be other more subtle ways of getting DS points. I don't mind being sarky if it's particularly funny (especially to Kreia) but good people are sarky too why do you get penalised for just being funny and have to bee uber nice and mushy towards people if you don't want to?

The thing I really enjoy about both Kotor's is the relationships and the dialogue between the main party and I think it would be worth investing time to make sure the relationship builder is well rounded and appeals to people who want to get different things out of the game.

The other thing I would like to say (in this endless dissertation) is that it's annoying that Male PC's seem to get better results in the romance stakes in both games when so many like to play as female PC's!

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #57
Non-false Jedi
Rookie

it would really depend on the pc...

Both Revan and Exile have people who they have established a connection with in the previous games, so i think they should continue with them.

Bastila/Carth/Juhani/Atton/Handmaiden/Vistas/Disciple.

Actually i hope they give the Female Revan-Juhani Romance a chance in the next game, its not specified in TSL.
Non-false Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #58
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I hope they give the option to spout horrendously cheezy adolescant romance dialog. It would really help with the Star Wars feel!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #59
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Like, "Are you an angel?" Imagine a pre Ep1 version of Anakin and Padme. Oh the horror and the cheesyness

Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #60
Chira
Rookie

Don't forget that Jedi need to avoid love after all... :P

Someone wise and powerful should make them agree with all we want...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #61
DarkLord1981
Rookie

Hiya, I posted what i want in Kotor III, but i forgot to put in the romance part.

Tell me what you think: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149410

Well, i think the dialog should be colour coded for alignment purposes and for romance too.

Red = Darkside

Blue = Lightside

Grey = Neutral

Pink = Romance

that should be good.

what do you think?

When it comes to Romance, it should be an optional thing not something that is connected through the main quest.
DarkLord1981 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2006, 12:26 AM   #62
Phaedra36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chira
Don't forget that Jedi need to avoid love after all... :P
And don't forget that every SW movie revolved around love. Love is a major theme and still should be one, especially in a RPG.
Phaedra36 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #63
Joe©

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
...love can bring about jealousy...
True that. Everytime my Girlfriend turns around for a 2nd look at some guys I flip out [/sarcastic]

I could care less if they bump up the hormons in KotOR III. I never really did those quests or anything cause I found it was more fun to just kill people

Beer! Beer leads to drinking! Drinking leads to hangovers! Hangovers... Lead to suffering!

Yes I sense much Beer in you.
Joe© is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #64
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I hope they give the option to spout horrendously cheezy adolescant romance dialog. It would really help with the Star Wars feel!
Yes that would be great, although the thing I love about Kotor is that often the dialogue is far better then in actual star wars.

When we went to see Ep3 and the mushy scene between Padme and Anikan came on

"I love you more", "no I love you more" etc

I actually cried out in the cinema "oh my god" and made a wretching sound. My husband was severely embarassed but I couldn't help it. It was so truly awful. The stuff between Leia and Han was better and less cringe worthy.

Althougth I have to say it sets a good precident for keeping romance in Kotor but hopefully the game writers will keep their senses about them and not give us too many cheesey lines. One or two from Atton is okay as he uses it as a defense mechanism. That's why we love him, he's so complicated and emotionally unavaliable.

It's all very disfunctional

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #65
ForceFightWMe12
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Dragon's Dogma
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! Hot Topic Starter 
Anyway, I think that Revan and Exile should return to the game, continuing their romance with whoever they chose in their last appearence (aka K1 & 2)
But that's slightly off the point.

I say that they should definatly increase the effect of a romance would have on the game's events, kinda work it in more to the threads of the plots itself. Maybe make things harder at one point to keep to the Light, like have some DS dude threaten to kill the one the PC loves (kinda like a hostage situation thing) and make you make a DS choice in order to save him/her. That would make things pretty interesting, if you ask me.

And I also say, don't be afraid to have scenes in which the characters show that they love each other. Like in K1. If you play your cards right, there is a way for Male Revan to kiss Bastila on the EH...but it's a blackout. Why not add a cut scene there, make things a bit more...realistic? Besides, after fighting with her after half the game, it would have been kinda rewarding, if you ask me. ANd from what I know, there's no way you can even come close to that with Carth. Um...yeah.

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 03-14-2006 at 05:33 AM.
ForceFightWMe12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #66
Sith_Reven
Rookie

wow.. I could go on and on about this topic and new ideas just keep coming up. With certain party members( because there is more than one woman or man party member) , the coices in dialogue would fit each individual personality. The 'love talk' could be awkward and bumbling or super mushy or love a friend and it deepens. Each npc would be different. An absolute must, is that the romance goes on to the very bitter end. And I really stress 'bitter end' if you know what I am saying( or good end for you LS)ers And jedi aren't allowed to love in this regard...ohhh how joyously exciting, dark and truely dramatic this STAR WARS seguel could be if done right. I'm playing the game in my mind right now.

Savior, conquerer, Hero, Villian... You are all things Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the darkness nor the light. You will forever stand alone.
-Malak
Sith_Reven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #67
shinyjedi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra36
. I will stress again, it doesn't have to be mushy. "Oh I love you sweetie pie! Lets go and cuddle and make cutesy faces at each other."
Oh, I dunno, I can picture a quest beginning with an NPC interrupting our hero along the lines of: "while you two were holed up in the cantina cuddling and making cutesy faces at each other, somebody stole the ship."

I was dissatisfied with the romance angle in 1, and even more so in 2. All fiction is, at its heart, romance. Whether it's family based, couple-centric, or comeraderie/patriotism, it's an intregal part of getting the reader's (player's) heart racing and making the outcome more important than "I hit the sith assasin for 3 and 2, roll for <yawn> init...."

While I think it should be an option rather than a requisite, I firmly believe that romance should not only be included, but ramped up from the subliminal levels where it currently resides. And the least we can expect by endgame is a kiss and/or embrace on-screen. I'm not asking for porn or anything (at least not in public ) but some sort of concrete connection (okay, I didn't mean that the way it sounded) should be possible. Possible, rather than mandatory. I've already expressed my desire for the possibility of NPC departure/abandonment/flexibility in another thread.

I agree on the desirability of side quests hanging on the relationship. I'd also like to see bennies for pursuing it beyond the whole behind-closed-doors aspect. How about the dual strike feat being granted as a bonus when the character is fighting alongside the love interest, its level dependent upon the level of the relationship? How about giving them heroic resolve when battling together?

The idea for direct feedback regarding romance cues is great, too, as is the option for triangles and etc.... And, I may be wrong, but I don't think the OPTION for pursuing the cuddly-mushy-kissyfaces arc would necessarily be a bad thing. I know that I'd play it at least once, just for the novelty if nothing else. So long as it was done reasonably well, I wouldn't even expect greatness. (see above sidequest launch idea)

Slightly off topic, but not quite: how about the protaganist of 3 being the offspring of Exile and Briana/Atton/Disciple/Visas? Or, okay, Reven and Carth/Bastila? That would be a handy way of explaining how he/she got hold of the Ebon Hawk (sorry, different thread) and would serve admirably to tie up at least one romance arc.
shinyjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #68
KyleOfHarpenden
Rookie

i would love to see your love like turn to the dark side and the whole master v student thing like jolee and his wife and stuff but you could have a chance to kill them and maybe a neutral path so u can love but controle it that wiuld be cool
KyleOfHarpenden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #69
Mossa
Rookie

You know... They should give some attention to this part of the game, as it is cool and is a part of all this RPG thing. But not that great attension...
Mossa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #70
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
KOTOR 3 should be all about getting laid.

Going from planet to planet trying to get with the hottest chicks/dudes you can find. Doesn't matter what species either. Twi'lek, Cather, Human. Sleep with them all! You could use your Jedi mind tricks to get them to get busy with you, and the force to get their clothes off. Awesome!

As Lucas says, the Jedi can't form attachments, but they aren't cellibate!

I propose the title for KOTOR 3 be "Knights of the Old Republic: Sexual Escapades"

OMFG, I should be a game designer!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #71
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:

Going from planet to planet trying to get with the hottest chicks/dudes you can find. Doesn't matter what species either. Twi'lek, Cather, Human. Sleep with them all! You could use your Jedi mind tricks to get them to get busy with you, and the force to get their clothes off. Awesome!

I propose the title for KOTOR 3 be "Knights of the Old Republic: Sexual Escapades"

Maybe not game designer, but definitely comedien....

You know, I had to stop typing for a moment--I was laughing so darn hard I couldn't do anything but hold my stomach.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #72
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
^^^^ @ Prime

Greatest. Star Wars Game. Ever.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 10:37 AM   #73
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:

Post of the day
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 11:55 AM   #74
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar
Post of the day
Heh, I think post of the year, probably.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #75
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
^^^^ @ Prime

Greatest. Star Wars Game. Ever.
I agree! Right up there with...

Grand Theft Speeder: Coruscant

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 03:45 AM   #76
†Saint_Killa†

^^^^^^^^

GOOD ONES!!!!

Talk about SimCity: Coruscant.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #77
marvidchano

Location: Meditating In The Ancient Temple Of Exar Kun. Sutton in Ashfield. England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sun_Tzu
I have to agree, for me romances are a bit a waste of time.
I do like a little bit of romance... i liked the way on Kotor 1 where when u tried to flirt with bastila (Male character of course. i've never played female so i wouldn't know the other romances....) she was like: WHAT IM A JEDI! IM RESTRICTED TO SUCH FEELINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
or sometimes she'd get embarresed which was funny but i like to get to the point of the game really

Eusaet Rifae | Bria Server

http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?MarvidChano dO nOt Lo0k @ tHiS SiTe
---------------------------------------------------
Xbox live Gamertag: Dragon2Sword[/size]
marvidchano is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Romance Options for Kotor 3