lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Darth InSidious' WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #201
Ӄhrizby
Rookie

Well I came by cause I heard my name, but looks like you've got it all figured out so I'll just say good job!

Ӄhrizby is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #202
Darth Dan 012
Rookie

Some cool stuff you've got there. I could never even begin to construct that "Logan's Run" gun. You must have some pretty sharp computer skills.
Darth Dan 012 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #203
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ӄhrizby View Post
Well I came by cause I heard my name, but looks like you've got it all figured out so I'll just say good job!
Thanks!

Nice to see you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Dan 012 View Post
Some cool stuff you've got there. I could never even begin to construct that "Logan's Run" gun. You must have some pretty sharp computer skills.
Thank you! I wouldn't say you could never do it though: as with everything else, it's just a case of practice, practice, practice.

Well, I said I was going for more beam weapons in Rhen Var... and I am . Looking around for some weapon models which would 'suit' having beams come out of them, I remembered I had been working on a KYD-21 blaster model. This is the weapon wielded by Zam Wessell in Attack of the Clones, according to Wookieepedia. So, I fixed an annoying glitch with the model, and set it up with some beams coming out of it. I think it looks p. cool with beams firing out of it, so here's a few shots of it doing just that:

I haven't skinned it yet, but that will come later. Other than that, what am I doing? Scripting and more scripting, for now. Some of which will (hopefully) be useful for a survival round in the Tatooine arena.

Speaking of the Tatooine arena... another pro-tip: local variables. If you only need the data for one module, and don't mind if it's wiped when you leave the area (i.e., you only need the information temporarily), use local variables. Unlike globals, you don't need to edit any .2da files to create them, so they're a lot more versatile for temporary data. stoffe's got a tutorial with info on them up here - it's definitely recommended reading.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #204
harark1
Rookie

Current Game: Tsl, Jedi Acadmey
Nice beams but they are appearing off the gun a little bit , I'm assumeing when you release this you will fix that though.
harark1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #205
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harark1 View Post
Nice beams but they are appearing off the gun a little bit , I'm assumeing when you release this you will fix that though.
Thanks. Actually, the beams can't really be 'fixed' as such. The reason they appear to be coming from away from the gun is because the PC's animation involves moving the blaster away from where it fires, but the blaster bolt/beam still starts from where the gun was. Also, keep in mind that the gun doesn't fire a continuous beam, but more like short "bursts", so that further complicates things.

I have moved the bullethook further back in the model to try and counteract the problem a little, but it's still going to be an issue to some extent with nearly all beam weapon mods.

Now... as I said, I've moved the bullethook in the KYD-21 model, to try and remove some of the issues with the beam's start-point, as per harark1's points:

I also began skinning the gun barrel, but so far it generally comes out looking awful. I may need to remodel it at higher-poly, and I don't think the smoothing-groups on the model are helping the skin much.

I've also skinned the two-handed Kashyyyk sword's blade:

The handle is not yet properly skinned. I started this model a few years back, but failed to skin it. IIRC, the weapon is in SWG;the original had some kind of pattern in the middle of the blade, but the only pictures I could find at the time were very blurry, and it seemd to fade off toward the top of the blade. So this time, I've not bothered with the pattern. Partly because this is a weapon from 4,000 years before SWG takes place, and partly because this is a practical weapon from a world covered in aggressive plants and with little metal. It needs to be a weapon for cutting and hacking, not a duelling blade. This is also why the metal texture is a bit 'rougher' than I used for, say, the jian, or the Sword of Gith.

I've also started work on the model for the "Starkiller" robes, tweaking the arms:

Hopefully it's clear which arm is which . As you can see, I've done a first pass on moving one of the arms into a slightly more natural shape. It's not quite finished- I'm not convinced the narrowing for the elbow doesn't need moving a bit yet, and I still haven't touched the UV Mapping for the arms, or indeed changed the modelling for the other arm. Compare and contrast with the male underwear model:

I'm still writing dialogue for Rhen Var and scripting for the Tatooine arena, as well. Which brings me to a question: Does anyone know how to interrupt the OnHeartbeat script so that it fires roughly once a second? There is a trick for doing this, but I don't know what it is, and can't recall it if I ever did.

Anyway, that's just about everything I've got to report on for now. Hope everyone liked what they saw, but if not, feedback, criticism, comments, and questions are as always very welcome.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #206
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
Arm is more natural looking....looks good DI

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows?

Just exactly what is a head-piece to the Staff of Ra?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206819

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206541

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=newbiemodder
newbiemodder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #207
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
The Starkiller robe looks good - the re-modeling looks to be working nicely. I have a problem though: do you plan on making this a disguise item? Since we have no ways of adding new .2da rows, are you looking to do this or replace something? I hope I'm being clear here. If not I would just suggest to try and implement the wrist things into the skin as maybe cloth wristbands or something so that you can just use the jedi robe model.

On another note the beam weapons are just awesome!

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #208
harark1
Rookie

Like the robes and sword both look nice. :-)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #209
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemodder View Post
Arm is more natural looking....looks good DI
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Drexl View Post
The Starkiller robe looks good - the re-modeling looks to be working nicely.
Thank you!

Quote:
I have a problem though: do you plan on making this a disguise item? Since we have no ways of adding new .2da rows, are you looking to do this or replace something? I hope I'm being clear here. If not I would just suggest to try and implement the wrist things into the skin as maybe cloth wristbands or something so that you can just use the jedi robe model.
I hadn't actually thought about this much when you posted this, but since then, I've decided to make this a default male clothing type. This has the advantage of allowing me to release asian and black versions without the player having to pick-and-choose between them.

Quote:
On another note the beam weapons are just awesome!
I agree.

Quote:
Like the robes and sword both look nice. :-)
Thanks!

Well, it's been a while since my last post (again). In the meantime, I've fixed up the Starkiller robe model a bit, so that the arms look a bit less like crumpled cloth and a bit more like actual arms. It's still not perfect, but...

The difference between the arms is semi-deliberate: partly they're like that because I couldn't make them the same, and partly so that you can tell me which arm you think looks better. Feedback/comments, etc., all much appreciated.

Other things I've been working on have been Rhen Var dialogue (yet again). The number of options in the initial dialogue continue to shrink, but this is mainly because I can't come up with enough slight variations to make the number of options I had planned on viable. Flavour text is nice, but this was getting impossible to do properly, and since there are a much smaller number of actual outcome-states for the dialogue, it seemed a bit silly to have a lot of frankly rather bad dialogue options mixed in.

I've also been working at the Tatooine Arena, trying to make headway on the scripting front. Most of the scripts for the fights are now together, so that the game will run the battles in sequence, but I still have enough to write to make the prospect daunting.

In the meantime, here's an image from a fight in the arena in-progress:

That's all for now - hopefully I'll have more updates for you soon.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #210
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I am never ceased to be amazed by you. I look forward to more updates!

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #211
harark1
Rookie

I was wondering when you'd update again. Nice progress on the tantooine arena, excited for that.

Scripting + Harark1 =

Death causes Life and Life causes Death.

And you say Murder isn't natural

This is the url for Ninth heart: http://www.jediquest.webs.com/
Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #212
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
Lovin' the robes. The color is exquisite. What happens if you pick a black PC head, though?

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #213
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDeathRay View Post
I am never ceased to be amazed by you. I look forward to more updates!
Ask and you shall receive!

Quote:
I was wondering when you'd update again. Nice progress on the tantooine arena, excited for that.
Thanks! Not sure when the mod will be done - there's still a lot of scripting to do for it, before I can even start making progress on things like custom weapons, dialogue, or tweaking the combatants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaboka View Post
Lovin' the robes. The color is exquisite. What happens if you pick a black PC head, though?
Thanks! Good question on the black PC head. At the moment, I've got versions set up for black and asian PCs, but the problem is going to be implementing them in game. I could simply try making all the (male) robes armless, and releasing them as a set, like so:

The 'Starkiller' robe could then replace the Qel-Droma Robes in the game, or just be a texture variant. In this case, the player would have three separate folders to choose from, depending on whether they wanted to play as an asian, back or caucasian PC. The only disadvantage here is that Dark Side players will have a rotten face and fleshy, healthy-looking arms, but they can always install a mod to remove DS transitions.

On the other hand, I could replace the default player clothing with the robes, which might get around releasing in multiple folders, but would also make players less likely to use them.

Aside from that mockup, I've been skinning chiefly over the weekend. First up, I've got about halfway through the beam weapon I've been working on, with a skin for the barrel:

The 'blue' part is unskinned as of yet. In the source images, it's mainly black, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to pull off. The little view-screen bit is an innovation of mine, though I have to admit that I stole the idea from one of svösh's designs.

I also stuck a hilt texture on the two-handed Kashyyyk sword:

Update, 22/06/2011

A while back, Sith Holocron asked about a higher-res skybox for Rhen Var. I said it was low priority, but I've given it a bit of work, and finally managed tonight to produce something that I think looks pretty good:

Unfortunately, the textures are not much higher res - 960x960 rather than 512x512, but the unregistered version of Terragen won't produce anything larger, so that's what I had to go with. I think they look pretty good, although the lighting in the skybox may be a shade too strongly differentiated, and the sun-glare visible in the second screenshot really needs dialing down (does anyone know how to do this? Hex-editing, maybe? It's something in the skybox model).

As always, feedback, criticism, flattery, and lemon-soaked paper napkins are gratefully accepted.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #214
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
WAIT. Is Rhen Var a reskin of the M4-78 landing pad or am I a complete buffoon?

It looks absolutely beautiful, regardless, very Alzoc III (ha!), although I agree with you about the glare.

Thank you Gorgod.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #215
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
It's so much better now, DI. I'm sure you'll get those sun glare issues taken care of.

An odd thought has occured to me - can those crane-like objects on the landing pad possibly be made to be animated? I'm not sure what use that would be in your mod but it just popped in my head and it refuses to go away.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #216
Slstoev
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, Minecraft
Quote:
Yes, yes it is.

Quote:
It looks absolutely beautiful, regardless, very Alzoc III (ha!), although I agree with you about the glare.
Yes, I agree.

I am back.
Slstoev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #217
Exile007
Forumite

Current Game: Zelda Majora's Mask
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
An odd thought has occured to me - can those crane-like objects on the landing pad possibly be made to be animated? I'm not sure what use that would be in your mod but it just popped in my head and it refuses to go away.
No. Unless you were to take the model of the landing platform and find a way to animate the cranes there, then re-export the model. But I've heard that animations get screwed up in exporting area models. :/

DI, a grin always finds a way to my face when I see this thread on the front page. I'll patiently wait for this awesome mod, even if that means waiting until the end of time...
Exile007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #218
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
(does anyone know how to do this? Hex-editing, maybe? It's something in the skybox model).
What I would do is I would export the skybox as a new .mdl, and then replace the current one with the new one. Should remove the sun beam. Should work, too. In theory.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #219
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
What I would do is I would export the skybox as a new .mdl, and then replace the current one with the new one. Should remove the sun beam. Should work, too. In theory.
Or you can try playing with the lightmaps for the skybox room..load them into gimp and maybe darken them a little or something...you would have to rename them to something unique, then hex edit the room mdl to replace the old lightmap name with the new

Old 06-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #220
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slstoev View Post
Yes, yes it is.
Nope, you aren't a complete buffoon at all, that's exactly what it is.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slstoev
Yes, I agree.
Thanks for the compliment! And I know exactly what you both mean about Alzoc III, now that you mention it.

Quote:
It's so much better now, DI. I'm sure you'll get those sun glare issues taken care of.
How did you guess that would be my next task?

Quote:
Unfortunately, as Exile007 said, it's wouldn't be terribly easy even if it were possible, and I'm not sure of the benefits of doing so. IIRC, editing exisitng area models tends to screw up, so it's a pretty unlikely one, I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile007
DI, a grin always finds a way to my face when I see this thread on the front page. I'll patiently wait for this awesome mod, even if that means waiting until the end of time...
Thanks! Hopefully I won't keep you waiting that long, though I definitely know what you mean about the length of time it's taking to release.

Quote:
Quote:
Or you can try playing with the lightmaps for the skybox room..load them into gimp and maybe darken them a little or something...you would have to rename them to something unique, then hex edit the room mdl to replace the old lightmap name with the new
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It turns out that deleting the sunflare dummy in Max and re-exporting/compiling was enough to do it.

The only sideffect is that the sunflare was apparently thinning out the area fog. So that's one piece of information to keep handy the next time you edit an outdoor area and introduce sunfog settings.

This means that the area currently looks like this:

Alternatively, here's some pictures of how it would look with the fog settings toned down to the equivalent of what they were before:

I can't decide which I prefer. What does everyone think?

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~

Last edited by Darth InSidious; 06-22-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #221
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Try editing the lightmaps a bit. I think it may help you out a bit with those odd lighting issues. Darkening it can go a long way.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #222
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
of the two sets, I prefer the second where you adjusted the fog setting

Old 06-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #223
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
I like the heavier fog, although it cancels out a certain level of detail in that beautiful skybox...

Thank you Gorgod.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #224
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Darthy, you still have the landscape files from your Terragen?
I've got Version 2 on my PC I could make you some high res background: say 4096x4096 a piece or is that to low

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #225
Slstoev
Rookie

Current Game: TF2, Minecraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
I've got Version 2 on my PC I could make you some high res background: say 4096x4096 a piece or is that to low
Wow. I wonder if my PC will handle all the hi-res textures now.

I am back.
Slstoev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #226
Dark_Ansem

you reskinned tomb is spectacular.

Dark_Ansem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #227
harark1
Rookie

I perfer the lighter fog. Also your lemon-soaked paper napkin is in the mail .

Scripting + Harark1 =

Death causes Life and Life causes Death.

And you say Murder isn't natural

This is the url for Ninth heart: http://www.jediquest.webs.com/
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #228
Snard
Rookie

Quote:
I agree. Also if you use too high resolution skyboxes then it will look unnatural compared to the actual area model.

Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #229
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Hey!

Awesome updates!

With the choice of which version ...I would say the best way is to do a quick video per each setup, 10 sec

This will help to see how the fog looks ingame.

Keep up the great work!

Logan

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #230
Rinku
kad'la tracinya be abiik

Current Game: TOR, Pokemon X
Amazing updates. I really like the Starkiller style robes they look very cool .

Rinku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #231
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal

Quote:
Try editing the lightmaps a bit. I think it may help you out a bit with those odd lighting issues. Darkening it can go a long way.
Thanks for the advice! This turned out to actually be the thing I'd overlooked. >_<

Quote:
of the two sets, I prefer the second where you adjusted the fog setting
Quote:
I like the heavier fog, although it cancels out a certain level of detail in that beautiful skybox...
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback (and paper napkins) !

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, Q, but I think the present size will be OK for now . If it takes that much longer to finish the mod, I may well take you up on that offer, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slstoev View Post
Wow. I wonder if my PC will handle all the hi-res textures now.
I don't think you'll need a new graphics card for this mod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
you reskinned tomb is spectacular.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Snard View Post
I agree. Also if you use too high resolution skyboxes then it will look unnatural compared to the actual area model.
Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
Hey!

Awesome updates!

With the choice of which version ...I would say the best way is to do a quick video per each setup, 10 sec

This will help to see how the fog looks ingame.

Keep up the great work!

Logan
Thanks! And don't worry, there will be video updates on the mod eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinku View Post
Amazing updates. I really like the Starkiller style robes they look very cool .
Thanks!

Well, since the last update, I've released the Starkiller robes, but I've not been idle on my other mod projects, exactly. I have been a little busy, though, so apologies if the update seems a bit... well, bitty.

After some consideration, I decided I liked the lighter fog setting better:

However, I also noticed that this still didn't quite look... right, somehow, and at Canderis' prompting looked at the lightmap, which it turns out I had never got around to changing >_< . I also noticed that I had never changed the window texture for the Ebon Hawk, which was still set to Korriban (the default setting for the Droid Landing Arm, since the lighting of the Droid Planet and Korriban isn't that different), and that the Ebon Hawk itself was looking rather low-res and dowdy.

Also, the background buildings were beginning to look decidedly low-res and blurry, so after a couple of false starts trying to replace the textures completely, I simply upped the resolution by mirroring the existing texture. The overall result is, I think, a much higher quality of finish:

This also really heightens the contrast with the original, unedited module:

This hasn't been the sum total of the progress made in the last few months, however. I finished the texture for the KYD-21 blaster:

And I also began work on a new version of Ulic Qel-Droma's lightsaber. I built one before, but it was very poly-heavy, and I don't think it actually looked very good.

Naturally, the UV map has decided not to export properly, leading to the thing looking as it does >_< . I've no idea what's up with it; it doesn't appear to be a random glitch, as it's happened several times now. And unfortunately, separting the model into different elements isn't possible with a lightsaber hilt.

The landing pad dialogues are now about 65% finished, and there's just some scripting and global adding to do before it's more-or-less finished, I think. I've cut out some bits of party interaction, because I couldn't make them work, and there's one more piece which will need to be added for Bao-Dur before the area is complete. Overall, the player has a fair few choices to make on the landing pad which will have repercussions later in the mod. Although this isn't exactly a piece of open-world, sandbox design, I am trying to ensure that the player has more than one option with a real consequence in most situations.

Once this area is complete, I will probably start work reskinning the major areas of the base, and then move to completing the Tomb, and other areas which are less affected by plot changes, and are more-or-less complete in and of themselves. There are one or two of these. I will then move in to working on the 'core' areas of the Trade Outpost in terms of populating and plotting, and eventually to writing in sidequests and other such features.

One other thing I have been working on, which I had hoped to keep quiet until release but which is taking rather longer than I had anticipated is a mod to add lightsaber forms to K1.

Although deathdisco has already done this very nicely, I have been looking for a solution which allowed the player to swap them a bit more easily, and to avoid using up an armband slot. I have managed to go one further, and find a way for the player to acquire the lightsaber/force forms like they could force powers or forms in TSL. The player can even learn them from Holocrons which I intend to seed across the world, of both Jedi and Sith varieties. To this end, I have created a Jedi holocron placeable:

And I will be releasing the Jedi and Sith holocron placeables after the lightsaber forms mod is released, as a modders resource for both KotOR I and TSL. At present, the mod comprises 10 lightsaber forms (I-VII as in TSL, plus Sokan, Niman/Jar'Kai, and Shien [no Djem'So]), 4 force forms, which are different to the TSL ones owing mainly to engine limitations, and 2 non-Jedi, unarmed forms. These will be available mainly from holocrons, and at present the mod is planned to add material to Dantooine, Tatooine, Korriban, Kashyyyk and the Unknown World. So far, Dantooine has been completed, and Korriban is a work-in-progress.

And since it's been a while, I think you all deserve to see another spoiler for Rhen Var:
Show spoiler

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #232
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
That holocron placeable is NICE! Might be impetus enough alone for someone to start another TSL Holocron Restoration mod. Rhen Var looks very nice, you seem to have improved the textures vastly. I love the color of Ulic's lightsaber, although the blade seems to clip the model in the second screenie from the right. Perhaps this is an unavoidable TSL thing?

Thank you Gorgod.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #233
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
That holocron placeable is NICE! Might be impetus enough alone for someone to start another TSL Holocron Restoration mod.
I too love the Holocron placeable. Will the Holocrons glow? Seeing this after just posting in Exile007's new GenoHaradan thread about someone restoring the cut material of Disciple's "Holocron Quest" makes me wonder if you might be up for doing such a thing. (For folks unfamiliar with this particular cut content, mentions of the Holocron quest are in both the Ebon Hawk and Dantooine sections of Wookieepedia's TSL Cut Content page.)

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #234
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
Everything looks great DI...jedi holocron looks great, kinda mad I didn't think of that myself.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #235
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Looks good DI.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #236
Warlord664

Current Game: swtor
Contest winner - Modding 
Wow. All your work looks amazing SI.
Warlord664 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #237
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Really nice update Darthy. That's a mighty bunch of work
If that lightsaber keeps bugging you, I'm willing to take a look at it to fix the UVWmapp'n issue. I've had stubborn uvws on weapons before aswell. Always found a way to get them to work properly as intended

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #238
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

I was wondering when this thread would rear its head again.

Great update as always!

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #239
Exile007
Forumite

Current Game: Zelda Majora's Mask
That spoiler for Rhen Var... I must have more!

Great progress, InSidious!
Exile007 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #240
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Updated my journal

Quote:
That holocron placeable is NICE! Might be impetus enough alone for someone to start another TSL Holocron Restoration mod. Rhen Var looks very nice, you seem to have improved the textures vastly. I love the color of Ulic's lightsaber, although the blade seems to clip the model in the second screenie from the right. Perhaps this is an unavoidable TSL thing?
Thanks! There's a Sith Holocron (!) model, too, which I didn't have a screenshot of last time:

It doesn't look quite as good in the bright lighting of the Dantooine academy, but it should look better in one of the Korriban interiors. The 'glass' shines as well as the metal, but it's quite difficult to get a decent shot of that.

The lightsaber blade does clip the model slightly, you're right; that's probably because I was trying to situate the blade so it appears to come from within the emitter, rather than above it. But I haven't altered the blade at all yet, or made a crystal for it, and the width of the blade can be altered at that point.

Quote:
I too love the Holocron placeable. Will the Holocrons glow?
They don't glow, no. I should add that the texture is static. I tried to animate it, but without much success, and it got to the point where it just wasn't worth the amount of time wasted making each variation, then trying to line them all up exactly on a grid, and so on.

Quote:
Seeing this after just posting in Exile007's new GenoHaradan thread about someone restoring the cut material of Disciple's "Holocron Quest" makes me wonder if you might be up for doing such a thing. (For folks unfamiliar with this particular cut content, mentions of the Holocron quest are in both the Ebon Hawk and Dantooine sections of Wookieepedia's TSL Cut Content page.)
It's a cool idea, though as I recall there wasn't much left of either of those quests to work out what to do with them.

Quote:
Everything looks great DI...jedi holocron looks great, kinda mad I didn't think of that myself.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
Looks good DI.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord664 View Post
Wow. All your work looks amazing SI.
Who's SI?

Thank you!

Quote:
Really nice update Darthy. That's a mighty bunch of work
If that lightsaber keeps bugging you, I'm willing to take a look at it to fix the UVWmapp'n issue. I've had stubborn uvws on weapons before aswell. Always found a way to get them to work properly as intended
Thanks, Q! And your help with this hilt would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Fett View Post
I was wondering when this thread would rear its head again.

Great update as always!
It's an unpredictable beast, this thread. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile007 View Post
That spoiler for Rhen Var... I must have more!
Patience, padawan.

Quote:
Great progress, InSidious!
Thanks!

I don't have much to update on Rhen Var (what with Christmas and all that - Merry Christmas, everyone, by the way!), but I did want to update about a little thing I've been playing with, on and off, since the start of the year, and which looking at Khrizby's WIP thread has finally prompted me to try and fix up so it might actually work as a release .

A long, long time ago, ChAiNz.2da released a darksword mod, which was pretty exciting stuff, and is still a very cool mod. But I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with the effect he got for the blade. Not that I could do any better, but I suppose I had wanted to see something with the blade crackling with electricity.

Well, earlier this year I had an idea about that, so I tried replacing a lightsaber hilt with a sword, and the blade with a copy of the sword blade, textured with the game's electricity texture. I managed to get one of two results: either a blade with an electric current running on it all the time (whether the player was using it or not):

Or I got a blade which "activated" when the player was using it, but which just had some random blue... stuff floating about it:

Well, with a bit of prompting from Khrizby, I finally got the effect I was looking for today (thanks to a blank lightsaber blade texture and some hex-editing), and am proud to present my attempt at a darksword:

This one will activate and deactivate as the player uses it, just like a lightsaber (partly because, at the moment the game classes it as a lightsaber). I have yet to give the weapon its own baseitems.2da row, which should allow me to stop it deflecting blaster bolts, although it may also break Force Jump (which seems to be an engine bug caused whenever someone adds another lightsaber-style weapon to baseitems.2da - IIRC, this was discovered in the making of the USM.)

I'm not sure whether I intend to carry on using this weapon model for the darksword - this was really just a 'proof-of-concept' mockup I made, and doesn't look much like the design of a darksword that I'm familiar with, or ChAiNz's beautiful model.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Darth InSidious' WIP