lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: EU Takes Bold Step into the FUTURE! - Star Wars: Legacy
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #121
Foshjedi2004

I'm already upsetting the Balance of the Force....

My Personal Opinions are not Endorsed by Any Websites, persons or places.
Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Foshjedi2004 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #122
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
just like with a game, pretty visuals will only go so far. The acid test of this series will be how theyre goint to make the story something "new", but still SW. They pulled it off with the KOTOR era stuff, so it can be done.
Sure, but comics are a visual medium. And if they look ridiculous, it can potentially destroy the enjoyment of the story regardless of how good it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf005
This should be an awesome series because they don't have to worry about the big three (LS, LOS, HS) and have brought the family back to one son.
It would be more awesome if they just avoided their clans altogether instead of using descendants. If they want to get away from the Skywalkers and Solo's, why don't they?

Quote:
They definitely have a lot riding on its success. If the Legacy comics are shyte, then it will kill part of EUs future.
Nothing can kill the EU. If some of the stuff already out there hasn't killed it, nothing can!

Quote:
still, things like the superhero crotch & muscle bulges, the retro clothes and rockstar poses are making peoples excitement slowly turn to anxiety about the whole idea
Got that right. Like I said, I think that can potentially kill the series on its own.

Quote:
for an amusing read, check out the flame war that erupted over at the Dark Horse forums in the very thread that announced the Legacy Series(as per link on page 1)

Things get pretty heated early in but they come to a head by p 35. Where a chap by the name of DarkJoker gets into a tangle with Randy Stadley and John Ostrander. I actually know DJ from elsewhere....he reminds me of a younger Astro who used to get into many forum troublez here and at TFN

still, a fun read - interesting to see that Randy and John even bother to try reason with crazy fanboys
That is a good read. I'd seen some of that before on a previous lurk. Randy and John got a little to involved I think. But DJs attitude about his fandom is what makes SW fans the worst (of which we are all guilty from time to time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
the way i see it is that it cant be any worse than dark empire or anything by KJA.
True. At least we haven't seen any insect spaceships yet.

Quote:
Something im not quite understanding is why people are moaning about the Sith coming back?
Yeah, I don't see it as a big deal. The Sith have existed in many different forms over the millenia. Luke and Vader destroyed the latest incarnation in its entirety. Having them rise in another form doesn't ruin the films, IMO.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #123
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
True. At least we haven't seen any insect spaceships yet.
Thanks for reminding me about them jerk!

things like this remind me why im in favour of a EU reboot.

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 AM   #124
Foshjedi2004

Where was that??

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 04-26-2006, 03:43 AM   #125
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshjedi2004
Where was that??
From the terrible Tales of the jedi series

So much i hated about the art direction they went for in that series im kinda glad Kotor went and pretty much retconned the look of the galaxy at the time im not a fan of everything looking like giant insects and i hate how the basilisk war droids look, something about that series art wise didnt feel like star wars.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #126
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
ug, that pissed me off so much in KOTOR2. That was NOT a Basilisk War Droid. That was a stupid space ship.

And KOTOR takes place after Tales of the Jedi, so I don't see how it effects anything. Not to mention KOTOR used things from Tales of the Jedi.

You know who Kurgan reminds me of in Tales of the Jedi? Lord Farfalla.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #127
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
Lord Farfalla.
Infact thinking about it im not sure which is more stupid spaceships made from insects or ones made from wood.

I think the whole tolkien fantasy type stuff that suddenly appeared in the Jedi Vs Sith comics was a bit silly as it was going sooo well then !BANG! mr tumnus shows up in a flying boat.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #128
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
...things like this remind me why im in favour of a EU reboot.
awww crap, not you too with this "restart EU" business.

Havent you put 2 and 2 together yet ... Kurgz is going batty in his old age, coming up with such wild and crazy ideas

lolz.... the insect ship reminds me of those damn killiks. Where's the bugspray?!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #129
Foshjedi2004

More Like Verpine to me....

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 04-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #130
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
reminds me of a ithullian ship .... oh wait it is damn!.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #131
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 

More pictures!!
The guy in the middle the new emporer perhaps?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #132
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
New pictures!!!

Well im really not knowing what to expect um lots of lightsabers about though and imperial jedi!?!?.

Old 06-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #133
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
I don't know. This art isn't really doing it for me...

Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #134
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
I'll agree that picture is freaking horrible, but the rest seems pretty good.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 AM   #135
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Dude that looks like Buck Rogers with glowsticks.

But the rest seems decent enough.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #136
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Including the 70's collar

Old 06-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #137
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Well LEGACY #0 came out today, anyone pick it up? i havnt had chance yet.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #138
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
What are those TIEs called? BowTIEs?

I'll be picking Legacy up when it's TPBed. I really hate buying comics in parts.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #139
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Darth Krayt looks freaking awesome! seems looking at the mouth and that he isnt a vong after all just wearing vong like armour.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #140
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
...seems looking at the mouth and that he isnt a vong after all just wearing vong like armour
The Vong have nothing particular about their mouths, if left intact !! The Vong of the Legacy era may not be subjecting themselves to the ritualistic mutilation their predecessors did. The glimpse of facial tatooing on Darth Krayt could just as much mean he *is* Vong... Anyway, unless it's been officially stated somewhere, saying Krayt is YV is mere fanboy speculation

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #141
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I picked it up yesterday.

Interesting to say the least. In some ways it is an extreme departure from what we have known, and in other ways it is a return to the old standards (crazy huh?). As a result, I think some will really enjoy it, and others will not.

Since there aren't really any plot spoilers in #0 since it is basically just background information that you presumably need to know, I won't wrap everything in spoiler tags. I just skimmed through it and I don't have it in front of me, so I might have a few things incorrect. But if you want to avoid everything, stop reading now.

General Background Points:
  • Cade Skywalker as we know is more or less the main character. He was trained as a Jedi who turned his back on his legacy and has entered into the underworld. His father, IIRC Kole Skywalker, is a prominant member of the Jedi Council. His cronies in the promo shots are basically scoundrels as well.
  • The Empire is directly descendant from Palpatine's Empire via the Imperial Remnant. However, it is currently ruled by a more moderate Emperor, as well as moffs. There appears to be some contention between various moffs as well as the Emperor.
  • The Galactic Alliance is no more. It was defeated by the Empire during a 3 year war. Coruscant is once again the throne world of the Empire.
  • There are now bascially two factions of the Jedi Order. There are the Imperial Knights and the, I guess, regular Jedi Knights. I think they are still a part of the same Jedi Order, but it seems in name only, if that. The regular Jedi Knights serve the will of the Force and don't necessarily help the Empire. I can't remember if they say how relations are between this group and the Empire. The Imperial Knights only care about serving the Empire and Emperor, and don't particluarly really care about the Force per se. They are almost like Jedi stormtroopers. I don't think either group has particularly favorable views of the other.
  • The Rule of Two of the Sith is no more, and now it is only The One, the Sith Order. Darth Krayt is the leader, and the others serve different kinds of roles (loremaster, brute, assassin, etc.). Krayt has been rebuilding the Sith in secret on Korriban for over 100 years.
  • The Imperial/Allaince war breaks down something like this: The Jedi/Allaince used the Vong Shapers to help repair/terraform various worlds destroyed by the Vong invasion. This started out OK, but then things went drastically wrong. The Jedi suspect sabotage, but the terraforming became destructive. As a result, many worlds, unfavorably remembering the Alliance in the Vong invasion, bailed and sided with the Empire. The Empire held a technological advantage over the Alliance. 3 years later, the Empire wins over the Allaince.

Misc Info:
  • Imperial Knights portray themselves as uniform, and even carry identical lightsabers and wear identical armour.
  • Stormtroopers are still around, and look pretty much the same.
  • The Jedi still use X-Wings, I believe the X-38. They look similar in basic elements only. There are also other new craft.
  • Not specifically mentioned, but Krayt appears not to be Vong, but likely is using Vong armour.
  • Vong weapons such as thud bugs are illegal.
  • The Empire still uses Star Destroyers, such as the current Pellaeon-class.
  • IIRC the new TIEs are called Predators, and are descendants of Interceptors.
  • One of the main Jedi characters looks like Agen Kolar, and another looks like Tott Doneeta.
  • Tott Mark2 is from the Vao clan.
  • It isn't clear when the Imperial/Alliance war happened, and whether it is ancient history or recent.
  • Lots of underworld characters.
  • The Emperor is a Fel.

General Observations and Questions:
  • It has been claimed that Ostrander tried to remain distant from interfearing with the LOTF novel series. That is pretty much true I suppose, but not entirely IMO.
  • If Krayt has been rebuilding the Sith in secret for over a hundred years, and I believe the story is 140 years after Yavin, that means he begins the process during LOTF. So does that mean that he is independent from the
    spoiler:
    Luminya/Jacen
    Sith? Does that make what goes on in LOTF in regards to the Sith more or less irrelevant?
  • No Solos mentioned, only the line of Skywalkers. Does that mean that by that era the Solo line of Jedi is no more?
  • All the discussion during the DN trilogy and presumably the LOTF about whether the Jedi should serve the Alliance or the will of the Force is really mute on two points. One, there will soon be no Alliance to serve, and two, they essentially choose both, in seperate groups. Maybe that topic will be part of the interaction between the two factions.
  • Although I still have some reservations about the art, having seen more my view of it has improved. First, the good:
    • IMO most of the characters look Star Wars-y. The Imperial Knights look cool, and most of the regular Jedi are recognizable as such, with robes similar to what we know. Stormtroopers look like stormtroopers, etc.
    • Most of the ships look reasonably cool looking, especailly the Star Destroyers.
    • I think some of the Sith look pretty cool. Tattoos are in.
    The bad:
    • Several characters have big Quinlan Vos type hair.
    • The new TIEs look kind of lame.
    • There is a female Hutt that looks ridiculous.
    • Some of the Sith look rather over the top.
    • I don't really like the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.
  • It is made clear that the Imperial Knights are viewed as the "Gray Jedi" of the Order, but it is made clear that they do not use the Dark Side.
  • There are so many characters from very different aspects of life, from Emperor to street thug, it will be interesting to see how the overall story incorporates them all.
  • There are no mention of individual Vong characters. Only that they screwed over the Galaxy a second time (on purpose or otherwise).

Overall, I think the series has potential. It will probably be somewhat divisive among the fanbase, but I think it will be more accepted than the NJO. It gets back to more familair Star Wars, like KOTOR does. But no one can say that they didn't do something different.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #142
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

nice work Primeage

Interesting that Ostrander wasnt in on LOTF planning ?? I was thinking the
spoiler:
Lumiya/Jacen
combo sows the seeds of the events of of the comics. I hope this is addressed somehow, and once again thanks to those clowns makings comics we are faced with a (potential?) significant inconsistency and more retconning to happen sometime in the future....dammit

Goes looking for Kurgan's "restart EU" button activator

btw Prime, whats the artwork like. Is there are SW feel to it like the great SW titles of the past ??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #143
Foshjedi2004

We may find out more about the Character later in LoTF, I am sure that notes were passed across.

For All we know by the end of LoTF Darth Krayt is exiled to be killed.

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #144
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Interesting that Ostrander wasnt in on LOTF planning ??
He and others have mentioned that each party (novel and comic writers) are well aware of what the each other are doing.

Quote:
I was thinking the
spoiler:
Lumiya/Jacen
combo sows the seeds of the events of of the comics.
As I mentioned, Ostrander is fully aware of what the LOTF writers are doing, and vice versa. They also have the full support of LL (of course). Currently there doesn't appear to be any connection between the LOTF Sith and the Sith we see in Legacy (fine by me). Which is what led to my original comment that Legacy may make the Sith stuff in LOTF more or less irrelevant in the long run...

The bigger connection between them is more likely to be the establishment of the Empire by the end of the LOTF series.

Quote:
I hope this is addressed somehow, and once again thanks to those clowns makings comics we are faced with a (potential?) significant inconsistency and more retconning to happen sometime in the future....dammit
If there are such inconsistencies, why is it the comics fault? The Legacy era will be well established by the time LOTF finishes, so presumably it will be the LOTF's responsibility to fit in with Legacy! In the end I expect them to be fairly seperate and not really dependent on each other.

Quote:
btw Prime, whats the artwork like. Is there are SW feel to it like the great SW titles of the past ??
I'll see if I can post some scans...

Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #145
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Interesting interview that provides more info:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazi.../000426410.cfm

Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #146
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Picked up the first issue. I have to say, it is definitely a good start, with a fairly unconventional main villian. It is a real shake up of Star Wars...

Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #147
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Yep agreed the first issue was a great start cant wait for the next!

Darth Krayt is fantastic and the opening message from his holocron makes me think even more that he is Jacen Solo

Really like the new T.I.Es too from the looks of things it seems theres one piloted by a person and the two wingmen could possibly droids? well judging by the way the cockpit windows are.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #148
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Terros, where did you manage to pick one up?

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #149
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
I have my sources

Old 07-01-2006, 03:52 AM   #150
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
...Darth Krayt is fantastic and the opening message from his holocron makes me think even more that he is Jacen Solo...
hehehe. that would be awesome

...Remember a few years back. Halfway into NJO, when Jacen went evil anakin style on Tsavong Lah upon finding he had tortured Leia. I said from back then that he was going to be the focus of the future EU. But who listened to poor uncle Astro Then of course in Traitor and The Unifying Force it become more than apparent

Jacen is a great character, so full of contradictions but immensely strong in the force. Remind you of someone

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #151
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
cover to issue 6 is out looks like we've found out what krayts illness is.

STAR WARS LEGACY #6

JOHN OSTRANDER (W), JAN DUURSEMA (P), DAN PARSONS (I), BRAD ANDERSON (C), and ADAM HUGHES (Cover)

On sale Nov. 15
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

Five generations after Luke Skywalker took up his father’s lightsaber, the galaxy is once again imperiled and hope rests on the shoulders of a young man and his connection to the Force.

In this issue, a legacy is revealed, denied, and endangered as Cade Skywalker’s friends turn their backs on him, and he finds himself in league with those he thought were his enemies! Decisions must be made, and a hero’s burden must be taken up or cast aside. The Jedi, the Sith, and the Empire all want something from Cade Skywalker, and all he wants is to be left alone. But in a galaxy on the brink of war there is no place to hide!

• This is the future of Star Wars, the continuation of the story that started in the original trilogy, and none of it has been seen before.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #152
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Behold! Darth SONIC!!

Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #153
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

New pic...

Stormies!

"A galaxy-shaking secret is revealed in the heat of battle! Old friendships will be strained to the breaking point, unlikely new alliances will be formed, and the relentless forces of evil will pursue their dark ends with even greater vigor and purpose. In a universe on the brink of either destruction or salvation, it is the actions of an unexpected few that will determine the fates of all."

Old 08-31-2006, 01:58 PM   #154
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I tried the first few issues of this comic and I didn't think much of it, but I've never really gotten into any post-RotJ stuff.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #155
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

It is definitely a change from the norm...

Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #156
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 

Creepiest sith lord ever!

I'A CTHULHU I'A

Old 09-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #157
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

FORCE GHOST LUKE!!!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #158
Foshjedi2004

And he doesn't look a day over 25...

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 09-17-2006, 03:10 PM   #159
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Neither does force ghost Anakin anymore.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Skinkie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #160
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Ships from the future!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > EU Takes Bold Step into the FUTURE! - Star Wars: Legacy