lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: If You Play Battlefront 1, Please Read Me...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
Flowing Force
Rookie

If You Play Battlefront 1, Please Read Me...

The forum of BF1, here, is not the most lively place in Cyberspace.

I own both BF1 and 2, but play almost exclusively BF1, as I find it more playable than BF2. Personal opinion. I like BF 2, also.

But because I only play BF1, and only do THAT online, and absolutely love doing it, I'm compelled to ask you, the reader of these words, to leave a post, here, if you DO still play BF1.

I'm hoping we can revive this forum, a bit. I've got some questions with BF1, and if there's a few players out there, then maybe you guys do, too. I'd love to get some discussions going, share some tips, and maybe even battle side-by-side in game.
Flowing Force is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

I don't play battlefront 1 often now that I own battlefront 2. This is mainly because I can never find anyone to play with online. If I did find some people to play online with, then I probably would.
Niner_777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

I jump on SWBF1 once in a while, but not very often. I always try to roll sidways when I play it .

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Sometimes, mainly for maps that haven't been ported to BF2 yet. But now I'm getting used to the improved features of BF2 as well as playing a lot of Guild Wars instead.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I haven't played SWBF1 since SWBF2...sorta miss it...my friend has it now....

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Flowing Force
Rookie

WOW! EXCELLENT! Well I play BF1, and I'm jonesing for a few more players to join in the mayhem! There's not a virtual army of players like in BF2, but we still have some pretty hectic battles!

PErsonally, I use only the 1.2 patch, and NOT the 1.3. I'm not sure how many people play with 1.3 online, as there's a different server list, I'm pretty sure. Definitely so for games of BF1 without a patch.

KEep posting! MAybe we can realy roll into a resurgence of followers!
Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

Are you're battles "powered by gamespy?" If so, what do you have to do to register. I tried registering but still nobody. I'll have to check again.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Flowing Force
Rookie

Ummm... Nothing, really complex to join GameSpy, as far as *I* know. Just click on the prompts, and when you log-on to multiplay mode, you're there.

It's entirely possible that you did what I did when I first attempted to join:

It'll have a field to enter your Nickname, then a field to enter your Email address, then a field to enter your password. Under that are the options "Enter Gamespy", then "Create GameSpy ID", then "Enter Without Logging In" . Fill out all 3 fields of info, and THEN click on "Create Gamespy ID". At first, I thought that clicking this button would bring me back to this very same screen, and that what I was supposed to do was fill in the fields and click "Enter Gamespy". This is not the case. Fill in the nickname, Email, and password, THEN click "Create Gamespy ID". Now, whenever you click "Enter Gamespy", you will have the choice to connect via LAN or internet. I always choose internet (because I don't have a LAN), and >poof<, I'm online, choosing a server to play on.

I personally play with the 1.2 patch. Some gamers use no patch on thier BF game. Others use the 1.3 Beta patch. A patch alters (usually for the better) several game features, oftentimes correcting "mistakes" in the game's original release format, and making the game cooler in several ways, and your server selection depends on your patch status. In other words, if you have 1.3 installed, and I have 1.2 installed, you and I will have a different set of servers to choose from, and likely cannot play together online, as 1.3 servers host 1.3 gamers, and 1.2 servers host for 1.2 gamers. The differences in patches are somewhat minor, but may greatly alter your playability and enjoyment of the game. Usually, patches greatly improve a game, the way a bandage improves one's skin after being damaged.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

Thanks. I'm not sure if I did this. I'll have to try it. As for the patch, I'm not sure which one I have, if I have one at all. If you have 1.2, and you can find people to play with, I might as well install that patch. Where can you get it?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #10
Flowing Force
Rookie

I'm going to start a thread asking about the differences between the two main patches (1.2 and 1.3 Beta). There are many writen "Selling Points" that preach of the "update", though there ARE a substantial amount of people who prefer the 1.2 over the 1.3 patch... like in Star Wars Battlefront 2, several people prefer the game WITHOUT the new 1.1 patch that was recently released.

Anyways, here you go...

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/Battlefront.htm
Old 03-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

I opened Battlefront and chose my profile. Then I clicked on multiplayer. It asked me to choose between Internet or LAN. (There was another one too. It was like connect directly.) I chose Internet. Then I filled out the the name, email address, and password. Then I clicked on "Create Gamespy ID." It said something like "the connection was lost. Please try over." So I did. It came up with the same thing. So I tried over. Same message.

It shouldn't be this difficult. I haven't installed any patches, unless my dad did. I wonder if that makes a difference?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Flowing Force
Rookie

Hmmmmph. Could be technical, I don't know. Never encountered that, and I'm not a "computer-type-of-guy", so I don't know of how I can be of help, here. Good Luck. WHEN you find success, let me know by posting here again.

Anyone?

Alconium-- Guild Wars???

Commander Obi Wan-- I know it could change as time goes onwards, but right now, your curent avatar is pretty awesome... that stick-figure, Darth Maulish, Matrixy animation. And I'd consider making the $20.00 (or less) investment and getting the game now while you can. I, personally, have owned both for a few months, and I enjoy BF1 more than BF2 right now (though I feel that may change someday, as I may get bored with BF1 eventually)... so much so that I've played BF1 about-- literally-- 20 or 30 times more than BF2. There are many great things in BF2 that I so-o-o-o-o wish existed in BF1, but the playability of BF1 is more user-friendly to me, and there ARE some FANTASTIC things in that game that are lacking in BF2. When it's off the shelves, it will be so forever.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #13
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

I haven't succeded yet, but I think I know what might be causing it. I think that my firewall might be causing me to have a bad connection? I'll have my dad look into it. Hopefully I'll see you online soon.

I'll post to let you know when I do.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
qui-gon heath
Lurker

i got the game for christmas and i play a lot. i use the 1.3 patch though
qui-gon heath is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
Budman_ALE
Lurker

I recently purchased SWBF1 strictly for MP on the LAN in my home. Unfortunately the rest of the people i live with has not gotten into the game as I have. Now I am shopping for a group to play with now and then. Let me know how I can hook up with you guys and we'll give it a go.

My gamespy ID is Budman_ALE, or you can IM me through MSN messenger at ericofgcs@hotmail.com.
Budman_ALE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #16
Flowing Force
Rookie

Coolness... I'm using the 1.2 patch right now, and using the servers online through "Gamespy". Sounds like you can host, then, through your setup??? I'm pretty naive to LANs and I have no clue what an MP is... besides Military Police... and I'm sure you don't have one of them on your LAN at home. Please explain what this means to me-- a guy in East Coast America.

I'm in the proccess of not only trying to find out WHICH of the two primary patches is BETTER to be playing on (1.2 or 1.3), but I'm also looking into Mods, which I'm eager to try out this week sometime. I'll be Emailing you.

In the meantime, any mature gamers who want to fight back-to-back or toe-to-toe with a Republic Jet Trooper can reach me at Yoda.Spunk@gmail.com.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #17
JohnLocke
Rookie

Don't get the 1.3 update, there are only about 4 servers online that use it. Stick with 1.2, or upgrade to it if you're lower. Unfortunately there are only about two servers that regularly have more than 6 or 8 people on at a time, and about four that sporadically have multiple players. Everyone seems to have gone over to BF2. I like BF2, but it's too chaotic and quick for my tastes. I still play a lot of BF1.
JohnLocke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #18
Flowing Force
Rookie

HAH! No way! Great advice indeed! Funny, though, because I just figured all that out first-hand last night! I had this posted this on the forum already under another title, so I went ahead and tried it after several days of not getting any responses. There were literally 3 servers when I joined-- two of which had no players, and one that had only one player. I noticed nothing new about the game... not really any improvements... I only noticed that the cloud cars on Bespin have a brilliant flickering flash of light from thier engine while flying, whereas that's missing from the 1.2 version (as well as the movies). Lousiest thing about it was that after I deleted ALL of the files, I had to STILL uninstall the entire game and reinstall it.

John Locke-- I, too, find BF1 simpler to play, and have uninstalled BF2 from my computer. If you want to, just for giggles, lemme know what your nick-name is, and when you usually play, so I'll know your "face" in the Battlefront.

Budman Ale-- How you doing? You 1.2 patched? When do you usually play?
Again, I'm on the 1.2 patch using Gamespeak servers, and I play ALOT at late-nite into very pre-dawn morning (U.S. East Coast time).
Old 03-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #19
toue
Rookie

well it's nice to know some people here still play bf1 online i'd likes your names to if ya don't mind, mine's player 1ben (i didn't know you could erase the player 1 part when i started and i got used to it so i always use it now) and i'm usually on sometime after 2:00 pm est almost every day

toue is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #20
Flowing Force
Rookie

One of the names I use is Yoda Spunk. I'll give you a shout (or an EMP to the head, depending on your faction at the time) if I see you.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 AM   #21
JohnLocke
Rookie

I play as =TPR=LostLocke. (Yes I actually joined a clan)
FlowingForce - I'd reconsider reinstalling BF2. One way I found to make it easier to learn it is play instant action with the four maps that are the same from BF1 (Hoth, Mos Eisley, Jabba's Palace, and Yavin 4 Temple), then you know the layout and can just concentrate on learning the new game styles. It's not too bad when you get the hang of it.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:03 AM   #22
Flowing Force
Rookie

Cool. Thanks for the tip. I didn't uninstall BF2, though, because of difficulties in playing the game... I just find BF1 to be more user-friendly... easier playability. I can list several things I enjoy MORE in BF2 than BF1, but-- as a whole-- I simply enjoy the first one much too much. I tend to sink my interests devotedly (obsessively?) into such things one-at-a-time. I'm totally cool with BF2, but there ARE some big changes made between the games, and I'm WAY too impressed with BF1-- moreso than BF2, believe it or not-- to devote my game-time elsewhere right now.

Excellent advice, though, and I thank you for offering it. I shall reinstall it soon enough. Right now I've just begun to explore the wonderful world of mods, and am using the extra memory for that.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
Roobione
Lurker

I dont have BF2 for my PS2, but I have had fun playing the last couple of days with BF1. I recently started doing the whole online thing with my console. My pc wont work with it LOL.
Roobione is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #24
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
sometimes i do. although mainly BF2 i am afraid.

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #25
Genral O
Rookie

I occasionaly play bf1

Level 81 Farstar Bounty Hunter:GenralO BattleX

NGE FTW!What do you say to that?
May The Force Be With You
Genral O is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #26
Budman_ALE
Lurker

Lets get this thing together...

...Flowing Force. I am usually up pretty late myself and I am two hours behind you so we should be able to get a game together.
As far as hosting goes, I haven't tried but I am positive I can. oh, and the MP was multi-player. I am pretty sure that I have my system patched to 1.2 but I could be wrong. I d/l'ed both and can't remeber whether I ran both or not. I haven't found where I can tell in the game so I am guess it's 1.2.

If you really want to throw down sometime, contact me on MSN messenger, because it will be easier to set everything up that way. Otherwise I might just run into ya on the net.

Let me know...

Budman(ALE)
Old 04-07-2006, 06:32 AM   #27
Budman_ALE
Lurker

Hey, It's me again...

...I just verified it. I am at 1.2

Budman(ALE)
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #28
Flowing Force
Rookie

Niner 777-- You get installed and gaming BF1 yet?

Budman Ale-- You gaming? Not sure how to contact you via MSN. Feel free to PM me here, or at Yoda.Spunk@gmail.com.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #29
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

Yeah, I'be got BF1 installed, but the firewall is still up. I don't want to take it down completely. I thought I saw a way to make it so just certain connections can breach the firewall. I'll check on Yoda's Help Desk maybe.

(^Click the pic to reveal my...) | Republic Commando: -]RC[-AjaX
BF2142: -]RC[-Auxidus | www.redcellgaming.com (I really need a userbar, eh. >.<)
Old 05-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #30
JohnLocke
Rookie

^ s it a hardware or software firewall? I haven't had any particular problems with leaving mine up and playing. In the options or permissions, you should be able to tell it to allow SWBF to receive and transmit.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #31
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

Where do you find the options or permissions?

BF2142: -]RC[-Auxidus | www.redcellgaming.com (I really need a userbar, eh. >.<)
Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 AM   #32
JohnLocke
Rookie

Depends on the actual program. Look along the menu bar at the top for Options or Tools or something like that. Or some, like mine, say Program Control.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #33
Flowing Force
Rookie

"Almost there..."

Thanks for helping out, John Locke. I'm hoping to game with you guys soon!

For some unknown reason, the thread that I started about The New Renaissance of BF1 online gaming has mysteriously disappeared from the forum.

Hmmmph. And people were really starting to respond, too.

Anyways, if you want to get in on the NEWLY RELEASED MODS for BF1 that I'm hosting-- Tatooine Fueling Station (as well as a few other really exciting maps), then check out the website, download the mod-list I've posted there in Docking Bay 94, and meet us on the Battlefront!

Until We Meet In The Sky--

Flowing Force,
STORMBRINGER

Old 05-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #34
ringworm
Lurker

Flowing Force....i prefer I to II.....I is more arcade....and since the controls chained...i didn't feel like re-learning all of that again....

i still only play I. there are fewer games but that's nice since the lag is always low and there seem to be less jerks.
ringworm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 AM   #35
Flowing Force
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm
Flowing Force....i prefer I to II.....i still only play I. there are fewer games but that's nice since the lag is always low and there seem to be less jerks
Thanks for expressing your interest, Ringworm. Let's hope THIS thread doesn't just dematerialise from existence, the way that my OTHER thread did.

See-- there seems to be a powerful resurgence of interest in BF1 (as well as a devotion by fans who never quit it), and for some unknown reason, certain people here-and-there seem to be either intimidated by this or irritated by it. I'm not quite sure why, but it seems that I've been banned or restricted from 2 other forums for rallying up the lovers of BF1 together to express our devotion to the game, and arrange to play together... BESIDES the missing disappearance of my thread from this forum.

But make no mistake...

The New Renaissance of the original Star Wars Battlefront has ALREADY BEGUN to dawn.

I'll be writing a new thread, updating you all to what's been happening on OTHER forums, as well.

If anyone wishes to recieve the list of mods we play online, come to the website of The New Renaissance .

Flowing Force,
STORMBRINGER

Old 06-01-2006, 07:28 AM   #36
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
There was no need to post the same thread all over the place. I deleted the others.

On topic: I haven't had SWBF1 installed in ages, but I did play a lot on echonet server.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 01:34 AM   #37
Flowing Force
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
There was no need to post the same thread all over the place. I deleted the others.
Cool then. I appreciate your straightforwardness, Star Wars Phreak, as well as your lack of unneccesary hostility-- which is what I've experienced elsewhere. Your moderating, here, in this instance, has been effective in maintaining the Flow of the forum without disruption-- which is a quality that alot of moderators (on other forums) should adopt.

Again-- I'm cool with you, and truly appreciate your discretness-- though I must admit, a quick and informative PM would have been nice.

I must say-- Each of "my" threads were, in fact, different-- and though the underlying messages may have been the same, I was holding seperate and individual conversations with different forum members. I speak to you from a place of peace, Here and Now, and mean NOT to question your authority as Super Moderator. I mean only to show that, undeniably, each and every thread on any forum IS unique, as currently there are SEVERAL threads STILL scattered throughout the forum which have extremely similar themes and motives, with different information-exchanges and different conversations amongst different people.

Note that in THIS thread, the one you allowed to remain, my purpose was to "revive this forum a bit, get some discussions going, share some tips, and maybe even battle side-by-side in game".

However, in the one you deleted, my purpose was to inform fellow players of SWBF of The New Renaissance, and to provide a structure that interested gamers may use, so that we may ACTUALLY game together instead of just talking wistfully about it in dead-end conversations that don't actually amount to anything substantial or productive.

So-- though I held a few similar conversations on related threads, I kept it tight, making sure to avoid "posting all over the place".

I WILL take extra care, however, to avoid posting the same threads all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
I haven't had SWBF1 installed in ages, but I did play a lot on echonet server.
Cool... I've not seen Echonet. Consider dusting off the Ol' BF1, and giving it another whirl. If you're interested in doing so, I hope to see you in the Battlefront.

Flowing Force,
STORMBRINGER

Last edited by Flowing Force; 06-02-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:20 PM   #38
Niner_777
[RC-1270]

Just to let you know, Flowing Force, I am interested in playing SWBF1 online. However, as I already mentioned, I am unable to play online yet. I've done some research and have found some information that could help me get online. My dad said that he'd help me work on getting online this summer. I hope it works.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #39
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner_777
Just to let you know, Flowing Force, I am interested in playing SWBF1 online. However, as I already mentioned, I am unable to play online yet. I've done some research and have found some information that could help me get online. My dad said that he'd help me work on getting online this summer. I hope it works.
I decided the other day while playing SWBF2 on the PS2 that I wanted to try out SWBF on the PC online, haven't decided which one to get though, SWBF1 is alot cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowing Force
WOW! EXCELLENT!
lol, the response you got was far from "excellent".

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #40
Flowing Force
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
I decided the other day while playing SWBF2 on the PS2 that I wanted to try out SWBF on the PC online, haven't decided which one to get though, SWBF1 is alot cheaper.
EXCELLENT!

Oh.... Ummmm...

Well...

It's excellent to me, anyways. I hope you'll at least check out the website of SWBF1's New Renaissance before you decide.

You already KNOW there are currently many more people playing SWBF2, but if you ask around or read the forums, you'll find that-- despite some really great changes that are exclusive to SWBF2-- the general concensus seems to be that the original, award-winning SWBF has less bugs, smoother gameplay, and a more authentic "Star Wars" feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
lol, the response you got was far from "excellent".
Yes, Thank you, MachineCult. It would seem that the responses are less than seismic, but no less excellent per response. I honour everyone's opinions-- as there ARE those who prefer SWBF2-- but for the most part, all of the forums I've posted on get favorable responses from the readers. Again, there isn't a tidal wave of those responses, but almost all of them DO support or agree with me.

"We will be patient."
................. Qui Gon Jinn, Jedi Master, Episode I

Flowing Force,
STORMBRINGER

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > If You Play Battlefront 1, Please Read Me...