lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 3 should be like Oblivion
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Mister Chief
Rookie

KOTOR 3 should be like Oblivion

Anyone who has played The ELder Scrolls IV: Oblivion knows what I am talking about. No, I am not saying it should be First Person, but the Character cusomization on the game is vey good, along with the epic world size. The Developers should take notes on this game.
Some things I would like to see incorperated from Oblivion:
-Different Species for PC
-Actual Facial customization, not just "choose a head"
-Limited inventory, but if you leave an Item in a box, it stays there
-Level Size (Huge)
-Graphics detail (It looks amazing on 360, and a little bit of "pop in" is worth it)
-More side quests, possibly even groups to join like the guilds

Anyone else think that this game should inspire the other RPG designers out there?
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
†Saint_Killa†

I agree with you on the customizations and large maps.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Chief
Well see romance is a feature of the KotOR series, and some people would have issues with a inter-species romance, hence why I believe Juhani's romance options were fairly well cut out of KotOR I and why the PC is restricted to being a human.

Personally I don't see why Human/Zabrak/Twi'lek/Misc Near Human romances aren't possible... Star Trek has no problem with it. (Note: I'm not addressing having children together, just that they could be a couple. )

But for KotOR III our PC will very likely be a human again, as it will likely follow the formula of the first 2 installments, and it is easier to write/script the game.

Quote:
I don't personally care too much about this one, though choose a head and then hair/skin/eye color for it would be nice.

Quote:
This was discussed before, and the general consensus is against incumberance or limited invantories.

Limited invantories in RPG's stink, and result in too much wasted time for gamers having to ferry stuff to different places.

This is the one thing that Morrowind irritated me to no end about, that inane and dumb encumberance weight system.

And FYI, in both the KotOR games placeables were persistant, so if you place an item in a container it will still be there when you come back. Example: The containers in the cargo bay of the Ebon Hawk in KotOR I.

Quote:
-Level Size (Huge)
I keep hearing how this is good, but really huge levels are not all that good, it is a feature of that perticular game, but it doesn't fit in KotOR.

I'd prefer a KotOR III that keeps the general feel of the previous games. You can also keep the feel of a larger place by having travel between places, like on Telos in TSL, taking the shuttle to the different areas made it feel bigger and more diverse, I would like to see more of that in KotOR III.

Quote:
-Graphics detail (It looks amazing on 360, and a little bit of "pop in" is worth it)
Will KotOR III likely be better graphically than KotOR and TSL are, most certainly, but I don't expect a drastic change to its look either.

Quote:
While Guild and Side Quests are nice too many of them distracts from the main story of the game. Morrowind and Oblivion are more free play RPG's compared to KotOR and TSL which are a pure story driven RPG.

Quote:
Anyone else think that this game should inspire the other RPG designers out there?
Yeah I believe it should, but not for a third installment for a set game series. After KotOR III is done, if they start a new Star Wars RPG, then I'm all for these kinds of features.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Yeah I believe it should, but not for a third installment for a set game series. After KotOR III is done, if they start a new Star Wars RPG, then I'm all for these kinds of features.
Quoted for emphasis!
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I couldn't agree more...

Kotor 1 and 2 are all about the humans. All the Jedi masters were human in Kotor 2, as well for your Team-mates. (Mandalorian and Miraluka are close enough )
But as Redhawke pointed out, they could start with it on the new trilogy.
I would like it...Twileks...hmmm...

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
Beast-Thrasher
Rookie

I know I'm getting away from the major point but I just want to point out something I've notice over playing both games during the same week.

I've notice that in Kotor 1 there's alot of Twi'leks in the game in the second game barely any in comparison. The Black Vulkars consisted of mostly that one race you meet some of them on Nar shadaa and they want to get their captain back, well lots on Taris and some on Manaan but only three in the second game. There weren't many Ithorians either but in the second game there were more and they had a role to play as well. Rodians broke even, I saw as much in the first game as the second, same with that race of that guy who tries to buy T3 on Nar Shaddaa there's about the same amount, might have a little more in the first. If you remember that lizard race of guys that pop up on Yavin IV in the first game thats it thats all you see of them, but in the second game theres tons.

Anyway, as you can see a pattern here, I think that in the third game there'll be more aliens different and some returning. I'd really like having a twi'lek on my team....mmm maybe unreliable Griff would be neat but that's just maybe.
Beast-Thrasher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I agree with all but the first point.

Haven't played Oblivion though...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Mister Chief
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I agree with all but the first point.

Haven't played Oblivion though...
I knew that the species and the limited inventory would stir up resistance, lol.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Well, anything can stir up resistance. I'm pretty much with RedHawke on every point except for the level size. It can be huge yet still keep the feeling of KotOR. It's a question of design. If we were treated with a Taris x3 with more quests and elements in the areas, it would be pretty fun.

Wide open spaces are a different matter though. The plains of Dantooine or the Sand desert of Tatooine might be annoying after a while.

Like I said, it's more of a question of design, where should we have big areas, where should we have smaller ones.

And yeah, any kind of limited inventory is annoying...except in MMORPGs since they do make sense and players are more leaniant on the matter.

Morrowind and Oblivion are sort of a cross between an SP RPG and an MMORPG. While their style does fit them (du'h), it might not for KotOR.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:05 PM   #10
Mister Chief
Rookie

When I say level size, I don't mean just wide open spaces. I am talking about cities that are seamless, and don't reqire loading, and jungles, that are multi-layered. Starship ports with capital ships landed in them, large scale battles that actually contain armies, (think a better khoonda.) etc.... maybe make the game a little more epic and grand in scale.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
I'd like it but I find it unlikely for a Kotor-game. Just imagine how complex the dialogue-work for example with Juhani would have been if the PC could have been different species, maybe even a Cathar himself...

Quote:
I believe most people want that, at least to some degree.

Quote:
-Limited inventory
I don't know... perhaps if it matches the "gaming system" but right now it has always been only a stupid and annoying restriction to the player. I can't help but remember carrying around two really heavy swords in Morrowing for *some* time and then throwing them away because no merchant had enough money to buy them...

Quote:
-Level Size (Huge)
Great. It took me one hour in Morrowind to find this blasted cave of failed whatchacallthems... I don't like getting lost in a RPG. I'd like a bit more free area and the "feel" of being on a big planet - but huge areas? No, thanks.

Quote:
-More side quests
If they're properly done, yes. Side quests from K1&2 differ from other games' side quests. They're shorter, easier but still more intense. Most of the time when yout get lots of side quests, the devs didn't care enough for them to make them thrilling, unannoying, consistent or in one word *fun*.
Buzz1978 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 PM   #12
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
As RH said, it could interfere with the romance quests. I don't care that much if they include that option or not, as long as you have the choice of being a human.

Quote:
That would be nice, but not as in-depth as the one in Oblivion. I'd just like to choose a head and maybe change the eye or hair color of my character.

Quote:
Absolutely not. Although KotOR's unlimited inventory was realistic, it was very convenient. Having to get rid of or storing items just for the sake of a small inventory is tedious, and detracts from the actual gameplay.

Quote:
-Level Size (Huge)
If it interferes with the level quality, then no. Level sizes have never bothered me that much, as long as it's fun to play through.

Quote:
As I have said before, I would prefer regular KotOR graphics with better textures and anti-aliasing. It wouldn't feel as much like KotOR otherwise.

Quote:
I am against the guild part. You couldn't join guilds in the previous two games, and I don't think the consistency should be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
The Distorted
Rookie

Personally, the level size doesn't bother me altogether that much (just as long as it doesn't shrink in comparison to the first two games!), but what I want are planets/levels where the quests are big, with many facets to them, or with lots of different quests to undertake, and potentially choose from.
For example, my favourite planet on TSL was Dxun/Onderon, and my favourite on KotOR 1 was Korriban, because one of the main reasons (combined with other factors, such as the quality of the tasks/missions you could do) they felt so "full", and thus were very immersive. Taris is another good example of this (although admittedly, it is big too, with its many areas).
Nar Shadaa is also another relevant example here too, but not quite as good as I did find (at least in the first playthrough) that it was a little too vague/ambivalent in some of its aspects.

But then again - I also don't want another Peragus, with all that backtracking through the same small areas (and it was hardly like you had alot of sidequests to do either )
It's just about finding the right balance, really.

As a sidenote, I definately want the team-mate sidequests concept to return from KotOR 1, especially the planet specific style ones.

"Someone's gotta get tough,
or someone else is gonna cry"
The Distorted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2006, 02:33 AM   #14
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

I've been envisioning an open-ended, top-notch quality KotOR III all this while. I haven't played Oblivion, but I have played the first Elder Scrolls and I was blown away by the detail. It was like real world. If we can recreate that with KotOR, it'd be great.

Species
While I don't mind alien species, there is a sort of taboo against aliens in SW, especially in the KotOR era. You'll notice that more than half of the NPCs in both games were humans - because reading stuff while the alien speaks weird was annoying to some. As for humanoids, it's just not done. Twi'Leks are mostly underworld dancers or dealers. Zabraks are rare.

Graphics
There will definitely have to be a leap in graphics. LA will have to break the industry standards and use a deadly-powerful graphics engine that will realisticly bring life to KotOR characters. They should also remake some of the KotOR and KotOR II characters, just for the heck of it. NPCs should be made more diverse and all that. Graphically, SW has a ton of potential, but for some reason, it's not used.

Inventory
Limited Inventory is okay, but it is normally considered unlimited, because you have such a large ship to dump stuff in. It'd be nice to see the stuff you own in your real-time, though. That'd be cool. But most of all, there should be a revamped Inventory menu. One that lets you check the stats of every item very systematically and lets you compare stuff. I liked how Diablo and Dungeon Siege's buy/sell screens were. There you could easily compare and trade your items. Something like that would be nice.

Animation
Auto-generated Animation is a must. Spore has proven that this is a possiblity, and if the idea is worked upon properly, KotOR 3 will be spectacular. High-Quality Physics too is a must. It used in just about every game now, even in RTSs, so why not a RPG? It'd be cool to watch people fly with Force Wave, then freeze the scene and rotate in 360, like the Matrix. They can also do Motion Blur etc. effects. Lots of potential here!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #15
Jackel

Quote:
It'd be cool to watch people fly with Force Wave, then freeze the scene and rotate in 360, like the Matrix. They can also do Motion Blur etc. effects. Lots of potential here!
Can already be done. Hit pause. Rotate the screen. Dont need fancy new physics for it at all.
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #16
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel
Can already be done. Hit pause. Rotate the screen. Dont need fancy new physics for it at all.
Yes I know, but I misconveyed my concept.

It's like, everybody in the air, and motion blur, and realistic flying physics-enabled models and all that. In KotOR, although the effect is cool, it's still generic in nature. The characters all fall back in the same animation style. Maybe also a 360 saver, so you can view the 360 version of your best fights whenever you like or something like that...

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #17
Mister Chief
Rookie

Quote:

Animation
Auto-generated Animation is a must. Spore has proven that this is a possiblity, and if the idea is worked upon properly, KotOR 3 will be spectacular. High-Quality Physics too is a must. It used in just about every game now, even in RTSs, so why not a RPG? It'd be cool to watch people fly with Force Wave, then freeze the scene and rotate in 360, like the Matrix. They can also do Motion Blur etc. effects. Lots of potential here!
This is something I left out, because physics don't really matter much in KOTOR, but using A physics engine to create a ragdoll effect for bodies killed in defferent ways would be cool. (i.e., Sith lightning blasting somone into a locker, and they bounce off of it and collapse onto the floor.)
Old 04-13-2006, 01:39 AM   #18
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
physics could still be useful in a number of ways with in an RPG, especially with the puzzles that some RPG's are known for. another use could be to have the ability to pick up objects and hurl them at enemies or cause area specific events such as a cave collapse or otherwise. physics in gameplay is something that really helps to add to a number of dimensions that could easily be used in any game.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2006, 04:02 AM   #19
Vaelastraz
Veteran

You cant really compare Kotor to Oblivion.
Oblivion isnt based on a tight fascinating Story, but on a huge explorable world.
Oblivion uses a combat system which cant be compared to the one Kotor is using.

The only part from Oblivion which i would like to see in a possible Kotor 3 is the character creater. It took me over half an hour in Oblivion to customize my character. IT was unbelievable how many options to customize your character you have.

For the graphics, no please not, i play Oblivion with minimum details at 800x600 and still there are lags. I dont want to buy a new PC.
However, i would like them to improve the graphics but keep the old style.
A simple increase in textures won't do it for me though.

And please no limited Inventory. THis is something which always annoys me (although is is realistic). It annoyed me in Baldurs GAte series, in NeverwinterNights, in Morrowind and in Oblivion. I like to pick up every single item i find.

For different species: No! I want the PC to be a Human, while in other games i like different species (Oblivion for instance) i dont want them in Kotor. That is just personal though, as long as iam not forced to be not human i wouldnt mind having the possibility-
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2006, 01:07 AM   #20
Mister Chief
Rookie

Different Species: It seems that if any, it should be humanoid, with only minor differences_ I.E. Twi-leks.
Facial Customization: The more the better imo
Limited inventory: when I first said this, I didn't really think about how much stuff I used in the first 2
Level Size: I didn't necessarrilly mean wide open fields, but maybe less load points on the planets, and huge bases and complexes.
Graphic Detail: Needs to be good. maybe not cutting edge, but good. I am against dumbing down the graphics so that all of you with old computers can still play it. Buy a 360 or new card. I view this like people who own PSones complaining about games coming out on PS2.
Side Quests: maybe just quests after the main storyline (if the storyline allows for it), or maybe just "resolution quests" as I call them, or a small number of quests after the climax of the game, to help smooth out the end.

I would like to see things like Limited inventory to be implemented using options (On and Off)
Old 04-15-2006, 04:35 AM   #21
DarthZayne
Rookie

anyone got problem with the forum ?
[Edited got some huge problem with the forum for a time]
i posted them my explorer crash and the post didnt apear.
[Spoilers kotor 1 and 2.]

yeah the combat system should be fun.
but some problem should apear switching for your party members and huge planet's and a huge amount of item that they have to make it for a first person view.

and yeah about human's but what i think about it its the dev realy liked the Story of Exar kun and Ulic Qel-Droma in the comic's and in someway they try to remake it .

2 human's , 2 fallen jedi

[Revan] realy look like Exar in so many ways , both abicious and both have been betray by them aprentice.

[Exile] and Ulic both search for Redemption , and both got banish from the force , because of them choice .
DarthZayne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
firehead2591
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
You cant really compare Kotor to Oblivion.
Oblivion isnt based on a tight fascinating Story, but on a huge explorable world.
Oblivion uses a combat system which cant be compared to the one Kotor is using.

The only part from Oblivion which i would like to see in a possible Kotor 3 is the character creater. It took me over half an hour in Oblivion to customize my character. IT was unbelievable how many options to customize your character you have.

For the graphics, no please not, i play Oblivion with minimum details at 800x600 and still there are lags. I dont want to buy a new PC.
However, i would like them to improve the graphics but keep the old style.
A simple increase in textures won't do it for me though.

And please no limited Inventory. THis is something which always annoys me (although is is realistic). It annoyed me in Baldurs GAte series, in NeverwinterNights, in Morrowind and in Oblivion. I like to pick up every single item i find.

For different species: No! I want the PC to be a Human, while in other games i like different species (Oblivion for instance) i dont want them in Kotor. That is just personal though, as long as iam not forced to be not human i wouldnt mind having the possibility-
well you can't really expect on playing a next gen game(oblivion) on a ghetto a** comp,sorry but the truth hurts. as for kotor, yeah i wan't the same style with WAY better textures(clothes were horrendous close up) very good lighting and very good shadows and smoother edges keep style but make it graphically enhanced to a very high level. kotor and tsl graphics are unacceptable by todays standards we need to be taking a step forward not a step back for the people who don't want to spend money yet complain on how slow next gen games go on their comp.
firehead2591 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Cactus-Jack
Rookie

I have to agree that species really should be kept to human only to avoid any issues with alien romance stuff, though i have to admit i did enjoy playing through once as a twilek.

Customising faces? Definatly, i think this would be on my top 10 list of wants, its sad to think even old N64 games and such have much better face customising options.

Limited inventory? Not sure... i dont think it would be worth the hassle, and it would no doubt bring with it bugs when reciving items from quests when your out of room. (unless it was automaticly zapped back to the hawk/ship for you..)

Level sizes were about right, imo. And i think i'm one of few here, but i LOVED the tatooine desert.

Graphics, hmm. Well i think the game engine is pretty much stuck where it is as far as effect support goes, but i'd kill to give clothing in the game some half decent textures! Some of the stuff that snuck into the game is pretty appauling... And while we're at it, can we please have models with NECKS. not freaky triangular shaped poles that stick into the body.

I'd love to join in the discussion of all the cool things kotor3 could have, but i dont want to get my hopes up, realisticly speaking we're going to end up with the same game engine as the previous kotor's. Hopefully it'll be tweaked a little to make it performance-friendly though.

Ragdolls, or a basic forum of them would be pretty cool, i'd love to force wave a group of guys into each other.

Something cool and within the game engines limits would be some kinda of battle-cam similar to empire at war. That way you could que up say 10 moves for your guys and watch it infold from all sorts of angles.

The box at the bottom of the screne that holds your qued movies could also be increased so allow for more than 6 (i think the limit is 6?) moves qued up. Just a pet peev of mine.

More varied animations! Please! Even if its just 20 or so extra melee attack animations, it would help things from being so samey. Maybe even have "finishing blow" animations since the game calculates if a character will hit before the animation is played. That way they could throw in a few cool death animations. Again, this would be easily within the engine limits and would be a nice touch.

The ability to stay in 1st person view would be nice, seeing as the code and such is already there i dont see why it shouldnt be an option. Just a simple "press X to toggle views" would do, and would mean close/far zoomed views to suit peoples personal referance.

But this is just my opinion, so pay no mind
Cactus-Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 AM   #24
Mosier
Rookie

I think that Neverwinter Nights had a good balance between a very engaging story and an open world. You often got several main quest at the same time and had a choice which one you wanted to do in different areas of the area you were in. Also, it had good multiplayer in it. It didn't affect the story at all having another person play co-op with you. Since KOTOR already has a party system it wouldn't be hard to let someone else play one of the other two people. It was also very easy to mod and create your own quests. NWN came out years ago and new quests get released all the time. Imagine people importing campaigns from their paper and pencil Star Wars RPG games.

I would also like more quests that require you to use other party members. I really loved the Dxun/Onderon split where you had to divide your party for two quests that storywise happened concurrently.

I also see no problem with multiple races. Again, in Neverwinter Nights, NPCs reacted differently depending on your race. If you played as an Orc with poor speaking skills, all of your dialogue choices looked like they were being spoken by a four year old. And people would think you were ugly and stupid. That same NPC would be much nicer to you if you were a human with high charisma. Also, NPCs of the same race as you were nicer and sometimes had quests that they only gave to you for that reason. It gave a little extra replayability and encouraged you to play differently and try out the other races and classes to get a different experience.
Mosier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #25
DarkLord152
Rookie

Location: On a Imperial Destoryer with the rest of my fleet waiting to attack the Republic
:)

It's a pretty good idea of youres. That would be cool except I wouldnt want it first person. I would want it thrid person view with some romance in it but it was good idea.

-Excute Order 66-Darth Sidous
DarkLord152 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

As much as I like games with huge freedom I think kotor series should have more restrictions than Oblivion. It helps to maintain the general line of the story. And kotor series, while providing freedom oc choices and even some variants in quests, is mostly a story telling rpg. I would rather have a more interesting story for kotor, than a more freeform adventure.

Freeform style adventure is good, and better if its a star wars one, but not for kotor.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #27
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The main thing i would like to see them take from oblivion would not be the massive world, but the fact the environment is pretty much completly interactable, and you can jump over stuff, take anything. Id like visually stunning worlds... and more a feeling that the worlds/universe is massive, i have to say i would kinda enjoy jus randomly going off exploring on 1 planet - maybe the one u start on, youve crashed say and have to find a way off and theyre are various ways you could do it (eg, steal a ship, earn enuff credits to buy/get transport etc)
I also think you should get DS points for taking stuff that is owned by people...

i think that many improvements to the charachter creation bit is a must! from making a head, to all the abilities you can add in other rpg games.

while i dont mind the combat system, i think 1 swish from a lightsaber must be fatal to annoying animals like kinrath - it annoyed be that id have to to a couple of flurrys to kill them given lightsabers are meant to be unstopable! they should also make the main bosses harder! and if theyre goin to fix a fight and have me run away (revan v malak leviathan, or exile v sion korriban) dont have me kick his ass then run away - either hava a cool epic lightsaber video of it or when my health goes down to a certain level i run off! - personally id prefer the lightsaber fight video i think that could be really cool, think luke v vader ESB

finally, i reckon your party should have say a maximum of 12 slots, but say 20 different charachters you could take along, so your party would then reflect more what your alignment was, eg if your a darkside revan, surly you wouldnt take carth along! so you could then pick up some dark jedi or a strange hermit from an out of the way planet! ;-)
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 07:46 AM   #28
Henz

Answering the thread title: "No. It should be like KOTOR"

Larger levels sound good. Would like a grander scale, but it could mean a lot of wandering. If handled well I'm all up for it, but I wouldn't mind if they stayed the same and just cut the loading times down.

Alien spieces - Non playable = Yes. PC = No. Maybe as a unlockable/downloadable extra but it seems unnecessary to me.

Facial customisation - More variaty is good but I don't mind too much.

Limited Inventory - Nope.

More side quests - Why not. If you don't have to do them then it souldn't be a problem. As long as they stay interesting throughout they make a nice little break for the story.

Improved graphics - It's going to happen if it's on 360.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #29
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Personally, I wouldn't mind if KOTOR 3 has the exact same engine as TSL as long as it still has a great story.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #30
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Personally, I wouldn't mind if KOTOR 3 has the exact same engine as TSL as long as it still has a great story.
Q.F.E.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #31
Davinq
I wear a fez now

Current Game: Portal
Tis sad, there's only one (or is it two?) Blonde haired PC options for K2 & K1, and neither of them looks like me . I wouldn't mind facial customization one bit.

Davinq is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #32
Mister Chief
Rookie

I am pretty sure at least Facial customization is one that people want....

Also, the graphics really aren't in question. LA can't release it without updating the graphics, or it WILL flop.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #33
Sithdisiple666
Rookie

I think we all expect KOTOR 3 to be much better than the second I was a bit dissapointed with #2

I know they say it was rushed and all but why? I am a huge Zelda fan and has anyone herd about Twilight Princess Here?

Please use the "edit this" function to the lower right of your posts rather than double-post ~ ChAiNz.2da

"The Dark Side is strong in me, for I am Sith"- Asajj Ventress Star Wars Clone Wars Volume 1
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side! I must obey my master!"-Darth Vader Episode VI Return of the Jedi
"UNLIMITED POWER!!!"-Darth Sidious Episode III Revenge of the Sith
"Finally we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, At last we will have revenge!"- Darth Maul Episode I the Phantom Menace
"My powers are powers are beyond those of any Jedi"-Darth Tyranus Episode II Attack of the Clones
Sithdisiple666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #34
The Sith'ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar
Q.F.E.
Quoted again for emphasis. What ultimately matters is the story for a game like Kotor. For example, people do think that the interface of K2 is more convenient than that of K1, but how many people are willing to credit the interface when comparing the two? People are still disappointed because K2 has a less fascinating storyline than K1.

Customization
Also, it'd be nice to be able to customize the PC, not only the facial features but also bodily features. Even if we can't do that, we should be provided with nicer PC heads, but again beauty is a subjective matter and therefore being able to customize would be best. In fact, among all the selectable male PC heads in K1, only ONE do I find desirable to play as (the one with shoulder-length brown hair), and in K2, NONE. I know it really isn't a huge problem, but maybe girls tend to put more emphasis on aesthetic matters. I really hope that there'll be the customization option in K3.

Robes and armours
Also, robes and armours, they just don't look cool at all in K2. I mean, they make the exile look so fat and bulky; HK could have called the exile "fat one". I mean, Jedi should look slim, agile, toned, with the lightsaber. It's good to look at. Personally I'm quite satisfied with the robes in K1 and I don't know why they had to change them. Maybe it's time the developers learn from our modders and try to put their fingers on what really appeals to the aesthetic sense. BTW, I really appreciate Prime's movie style robes mod, especially the tunics- they REALLY fit. Maybe the developers can lessen the workload of our modders by designing cooler robes and armours in K3?
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #35
Jackel

Quote:
posted by revanchow:
Maybe the developers can lessen the workload of our modders by designing cooler robes and armours in K3?
But then thats less work for us to do, I like the fact they make such weird skin designs so we can come along and make them "better"
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #36
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

I dont want Kotor to be like Oblivion, sure i want it to be more open, but not so open as Oblivion is.
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #37
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henz
Answering the thread title: "No. It should be like KOTOR"
Quoted for emphasis.

I think the KOTOR planet size is generally good. I did wish Korriban had more to do in TSL, but, other than that, I have been content with the size of the planets. Okay, I admit, on my first playthrough I thought Peragus was taking forever, but that was more because of wandering around alone in this spooky place.

I think the graphics could improve, but I want no part of any changes to the combat system.

The most important way KOTOR 3 should be different from Oblivion is in maintaining the tradition of having a great story that drives the action. If they weren't already games, the stories would have made great books or movies.

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #38
Terra
Rookie

In regards to the enhanced physics idea, /omg
Imagine Force Choke... (or degraded/upgraded versions...)
You use the power, it goes to over the shoulder view of you with you arm outstretched doing the choking hand thingo to your enemy, then you move the mouse with a quick jab to the left, and the enemy flies towards a nearby wall. He hits and and the screen shakes, and he slides down and slumps to the floor.

It probably sounds out of context in a KotOR game, but nethertheless it would be cool if you could use the enviroment to help destroy your opponents...
i.e. if you throw him into a wall, +10 physical damage...
Throw him in to the big force field, +6 Physical damage and +12 Fire damage (force fields burn you dont they? atton said so.... :P)

I think face gen options should really be employed, KotOR 1 and 2 have NO good male heads, and i dont find myself at all attracted by many of the female heads (although if i said i did find them attractive i would be incriminating myself...)
Then again, i couldnt really bring myself to say any of the female characters in oblivion were attractive, mainly due to poor hair options. Males looked cool though.
I think it would be very good to incorperate hair colouring, eye colouring and skin colouring (yay for red eyes!) and face gen options/hair styling options would also be leet, however i can see that this would create problems for dark/light side transitions, which is probably why it hasnt be put in before.

Encumberance sucks IMO, thats all im gonna say about that, and i dont think the levels you described would do much for the KotOR gameplay...
Alien Species would be cool, but i think it would be just another useless gimmick, like we saw in KotOR 2...
In KotOR 2, we saw WAY to many cool little gimmicks, but that were poorly implemented... The new uprgrading/item creation system was cool.. but they didnt spend enough time on it, and as a result it just came across (well to me anyway) as a pointless waste of time, and the fact you could max your lightsaber in terms of lens/projecter etc. pretty much as soon as you got it with the right items (skill modifiying belts etc.) and some high skills...

Side Quests - yes, but too many just piss everyone off... the last thing i want to do when i have a good storyline like KotOR is run around doing a bunch of annoying and pointless sidequests just to get a pair of cool gloves or a sword that will be obselete once i get my lightsaber on the next world...
Guilds wouldnt fit in very well in KotOR i dont think, and would again probably end up being a useless gimmick as i stated before... Unless they were an integral part of the main storyline...

The one thing that is obvious is the graphics, KotOR 3 will have to have good graphics, or it wont appeal to new buyers... One thing we have to remember about MOST games designers is that they are out to make money, NOT impress the fans... its the brutal truth, but everyone needs to make money...

Anyway thats just my perspective on things, but meh...

Last edited by Terra; 07-15-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Terra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #39
Terran I
Rookie

Humans rule the SW Universe, so i doubt that there will be other playable races! About side quests in KotOR 2 they were easy and borrrrring, but if they improve then yes why not!
Better facial customization - yes!
Huge levels - no, I don't like to get lost, it makes me angry!
Guilds are not and should not be a part of KotOR!
Limited inventory absolutely NOT!

TERRAN REIGNS SUPREME!!!!
Terran I is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 04:28 AM   #40
Exar Kun
Lurker

Quote:
Anyone who has played The ELder Scrolls IV: Oblivion knows what I am talking about. No, I am not saying it should be First Person, but the Character cusomization on the game is vey good, along with the epic world size. The Developers should take notes on this game.
Some things I would like to see incorperated from Oblivion:
-Level Size (Huge)

I like this idea. KotOR could use a more organic feel and improved particle effects. In addition, I would like to see a toggle between third and first person perspectives.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE
Exar Kun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > KOTOR 3 should be like Oblivion