lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR 3 should be like Oblivion
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #41
jedi3112

I haven't played oblivion, however I have played morrowind. Anyway lets get on with it.

Different species for PC. Not against it, however the amount of human faces should not be lessened and human should still be available. I've also read something about unlocking, but let's keep the unlocking for consoles. R:TW had the same unlocking rubbish and I just edited the files to play every single faction, including the Senate and the Rebels (Rebels really make for a very different game).

Face finetuning. Like the idea, however it should be done right with enough face models and enough hairmodels. In morrowind you couldn't pick the color and I don't know about oblivion, but I think it would be better that after you pick a haircut you also pick a color and not have the haircut and haircolor tied together. The same applies for the skincolor.

Limited inventory, very bad idea, it takes the speed out of the game. Look at it this way, you have all your stuff on the Hawk, but you don't have to switch back and forth every time you switch items.

Level size, well that depends morrowind had long and open plains with absolutely nothing to do. However if you would attach the area to the next area you won't have much wandering around. On the other hand combining 3 area's into 1 area will also increase the loadtime for each area, wich will cause longer waits when switching back and forth from the Hawk, as well as saving and loading games. With a limited inventory this will cause an even bigger drop in speed.

Graphics, KOTOR's graphics never really bothered me. There are some glitches, but they also make funny pictures (like when you're standing close to somebody and holding a sword or cyan Lightsaber it goes straight to the other character). However lipsynching would be overkill as nobody looks at that anyway. Some wheather effect would be nice, such as the wind effect of the hair, or when somebody farts you see their robes waving for a short time while everybody grabs for their nose making fitting comments.

Guilds would be pointless, you have more important things to do. You can't be bothered with getting yourself involved with a guild. However if somebody gives you a sidequest you can be bothered by looking into it if it's on a planet that you have to visit regardless. Convienently all the missing persons did have the habit of showing up on planets that you had to go to anyway. Such as Dustil who convienently was on Korriban in the Sith Academy instead of say on a mission to Naboo. Or what about Candy's sidequest, his duel was conviniently on Tatooine while it could have been everywhere, like Dxun.
jedi3112 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #42
STARWARSKOTOR2
Rookie

i want to be able to customise every inch of the character eg hair colour, eye colour, fitness, clothing. more skill points, feats and powers.
STARWARSKOTOR2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #43
HK's Wifey
Lurker

Bah, KOTOR III (Hopefully) never like Oblivion.

However, a game like that, NOT online, would be quite dandy.
HK's Wifey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #44
generalvaklu321
Rookie

As long as it's still a number based battle system, I'll be happy. I'm not super chained to the engine, at least the combat engine.

It's a trap!
generalvaklu321 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #45
Feagildin

Current Game: KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Chief
When I say level size, I don't mean just wide open spaces. I am talking about cities that are seamless, and don't reqire loading, and jungles, that are multi-layered. Starship ports with capital ships landed in them, large scale battles that actually contain armies, (think a better khoonda.) etc.... maybe make the game a little more epic and grand in scale.
Yes!! I love it!! Wanted something similar to this for Final Fantasy Tactics for years, too. And I'm all for the different species choices. Its not like it would force you to not be human. Besides, interspecies dating is kinda kinky. I like it. Ya know, get the whole Underworld thing going on.
Feagildin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #46
Mister Chief
Rookie

I really would like some replayability in the form of playing after the final boss is dead, which Is why I thought of the guilds.

And yes, KOTOR does need a graphical facelift.
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2006, 02:25 AM   #47
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Different species as PC
Meh, I don't relly see the need for this option, we can mod it if we need to, and being as KotOR is a story driven RPG things like species tend to pop-up as being relavent to the story. What I mean is certain species dislike humans, but have no problem with other species, this could obviously cause another variable in a plot as well as gender and force alignment. Also as far as romance b/w different species I don't think there would be a problem. For example, Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura have been described as having a "close" relationship, also Quinlan Vos and his wife were of different species so it is not out of the question. Brings a question though... are inter-species children able to have their own children... you know cause a mule (donkey/horse) can't (sorry got sidetracked)

Facial/Body Customization
As far as facial/body customization, simple things like hair/eye color would be cool, but I wouldn't want a huge customization system like the things you see on create-a-players for sports games. Things like lightsaber customization were brought up before too, and I prefer the story to be worked on more than an "extra feature".

Limited Items
Yes and no, sometimes I found that my items list got unmanagably huge, but thats most likely my fault for not breaking down items and I did too much mod testing all the time

Huge Areas
I think that the size of the planets was adequate inter-planetary travel systems could be used to create a more immeresive type feel to the game, depending on the planet of course. Though something I would like to see is Tatooine and Coruscant, simply because I want to vist Coruscant and see what it looked like in the "Old Republic" and I think Tatooine is just one of those classic Star Wars planets that has a place in any game.

Graphics Upgrade
I have a computer set to tackle anything a game developer can throw at me graphically so I wouldn't mind a graphical advance, but I'd much rather see them work on new and good gameplay elements. Things I can think of off the top of my head, being able to pick up certain placeables with the force, this could be used as a puzzle solver and as an potential attack. Gameplay > Graphics

More Sidequests
No, in fact I'd suggest the opposite, less sidequests, but with more development and having a connection to the sidequest, i.e. something that has to relate with your fellow party members, not something like "hey that guy needs help, let's [LS]Help him!/[DS]Cut his throat and take his credits" Something good, even a cliche thing like, one of your Jedi companions tracking down a failed Padawan of his/her who has gone to the darkside.. blah blah blah. So in short, quality over quantity.

Mav

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 AM   #48
ztemplarz
Rookie

Lightbulb stupid small world people

I don't know how you all can possibly argue AGAINST size. The point of RPGs is to ROLE PLAY. If you were to go to a PLANET, you should be able to explore more than EXCLUSIVELY the MAIN QUEST RELEVANT areas. Seriously, in the event that caps lock didn't communicate what I was trying to emphasize there, you're on a PLANET, meaning something that has millions to billions of inhabitants, probably numerous continents, etc. For you to only be able to wander around 3 map areas which include a grand total of 30 NPCs, of which 8 can actually talk, is just stupid. That's not immersive, and that's not role-playing. And you think that as someone that's literally on a quest to either save/enslave the universe, that it would be BETTER if you had fewer opportunities to hone your skills and gather useful items? And how about having obscure areas where you can encounter NPCs that can join your party or provide you with something useful that you otherwise wouldn't find if you didn't actually bother exploring? Exploring those areas is in no way mandatory, so if you don't want to, you don't have to. On the other hand, if by doing so it would give you and edge, or maybe just more replay value, that would give you an incentive to. Don't have it like Oblivion though, where there's literally a fort, dungeon, cave, or temple every 100 meters, which is just ridiculous. Morrowind had it right- sometimes there really should be nothing on that plain, and you just spent over an hour wandering around it for nothing, but maybe you could have found something/someone really useful.

As to the whole inventory limit thing, I'm all for it. It's kinda ridiculous in any rpg to be carrying around 15 swords, 10 sets of armor, and a whole medley of other items- have you all REALLY thought about that? How about instead, like Morrowind, enemies carry realistic inventories, and can always be looted. Meaning, you kill an armored sith soldier, and you can take any of the things that you see on his person or that he used. The difference is, make the value of those things realistic. In real life, buying a good sniper rifle costs around 2-3 grand, which means if you had 10 good sniper rifles, you could buy a car (or maybe a swoop).... Kevlar costs a lot, so should armor. That way, instead of trying to pick everything off the dead, you can just take the most valuable things and still get your money's worth. And a low level sith infantryman isn't going to have a force mask. Make it so that powerful items can only be gotten through completing quests, or by defeating powerful opponents (how about some powerful foes that aren't relevant to the main quest?), or by spending lots of money. And like Morrowind, for the most part, those items should remain after you've left. So if you only picked up 2 rifles and a couple of grenades, it doesn't matter, because you can return later to their now decomposing corpses to loot them further. If you've got 3 characters, everyone can get something valuable and you won't have any shortage of money or gear.

And something no one has mentioned is skills training, and usage. It would be nice if they did it similarly to Morrowind, where you only advance if you actually use it, or pay someone to train you- how about some useful, unique skills that can't be learned without finding a specific teacher (sub-quests anyone?)? I know that they are unlikely to change the advancement system from that of the previous two titles, so how about modifying it? How about if you start becoming either uber-ds/ls, you are literally RESTRICTED to that dislipline and then universal powers start to cost more (since you're just sooo good/bad)?
ztemplarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #49
Sithdisiple666
Rookie

I don't like the idea of being able to explore whole planets. It would become a console version of Star Wars Galaxies which isn't my favorite Star Wars game.

Also, I would like to see KOTOR III on all the systems for once! I think it would be cool with the motion activated controller on the Wii! Why can't all games be on the same system? Sometimes I hate gaming.

"The Dark Side is strong in me, for I am Sith"- Asajj Ventress Star Wars Clone Wars Volume 1
"You don't know the power of the Dark Side! I must obey my master!"-Darth Vader Episode VI Return of the Jedi
"UNLIMITED POWER!!!"-Darth Sidious Episode III Revenge of the Sith
"Finally we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, At last we will have revenge!"- Darth Maul Episode I the Phantom Menace
"My powers are powers are beyond those of any Jedi"-Darth Tyranus Episode II Attack of the Clones
Sithdisiple666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #50
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdisiple666
Also, I would like to see KOTOR III on all the systems for once! I think it would be cool with the motion activated controller on the Wii!
Wouldn't most of the benefits of the Wii controller be lost on an RPG such as KOTOR?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #51
Mister Chief
Rookie

Exactly what I was thinking. maybe when you twirl the controller, you get to que another attack. hooray!!!!
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #52
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
face customizations and side quests sound pretty good, but I dont see what a guild would be good for in a KOTOR series.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #53
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick187
Different species as PC
Brings a question though... are inter-species children able to have their own children... you know cause a mule (donkey/horse) can't (sorry got sidetracked)
Reminds me of Amsterdam..

I certainly think Kotor should be more open but i want it to be as linear as it has been. That's what gave it the appeal.

Waking up.
HerbieZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #54
Darth oakley
Lurker

Yeah i agree, that wud be cool but wud it have more attack buttons than oblivion because the attacks are crap on oblivion
Darth oakley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #55
Darth Sai-Thiss
Lurker

If KOTOR 3 is as expansive and open ended as Oblivion, who needs Elders scrolls any more KOTOR will rule. I hope KOTOR 3 is that good because i want more games which are never ending. The attack system would have to be moddified i would like it if combat was more involved cause for me KOTOR combat makes me feel left out it's just a written script, i want to do the damage personnally, the only thing is it would be fairly impossible to incorporate all of KOTORs combat styles etc on an xbox 360 controller but i suppose an xbox 360 keyboard would fix that.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies
Darth Sai-Thiss is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #56
SITHSLAYER133

i got one question what would you rather a Oblivion TC of Kotor or a Game that feels like the previous ones imho it be better if it stayed as how it is

i tend to get lost with out a clear sense of direction in Freeform Rpgs i tend to favour more story drivin ones

People in life Should Be given A single Choice where do they want to be Shot!
SITHSLAYER133 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #57
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Actually i just thought it would throw alot of realism and depth to the game having the individual characters that live their own lives. Even mounts like swoops, veractyls and dewbacks.

Waking up.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #58
kotorfan84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by revanchow
Robes and armours
Also, robes and armours, they just don't look cool at all in K2. I mean, they make the exile look so fat and bulky; HK could have called the exile "fat one". I mean, Jedi should look slim, agile, toned, with the lightsaber. It's good to look at. Personally I'm quite satisfied with the robes in K1 and I don't know why they had to change them. Maybe it's time the developers learn from our modders and try to put their fingers on what really appeals to the aesthetic sense. BTW, I really appreciate Prime's movie style robes mod, especially the tunics- they REALLY fit. Maybe the developers can lessen the workload of our modders by designing cooler robes and armours in K3?
I thought the robes were one of the things Obsidian did best compared to Bioware. I honestly can't see how anyone can argue that the Jedi Robes in kotor 2 don't look more like the actual robes jedi wear in the star wars series.
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #59
HerbieZ
Mythical Beast

Well yes, if they happened to be worn by the Jedi American Football team.

Waking up.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #60
kotorfan84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ
Well yes, if they happened to be worn by the Jedi American Football team.
If you are reffering to my post you obviously never seen a football uniform.

The robes in kotor 1 look more like Star Trek uniforms, the way they look tight, and there isn't the open robe part that the jedi usually discards before fighting a major villian. The Robes in kotor 2, look very similar to the ones in the star wars series mainly because they have the clothes underneath, as well as the open robe portion.
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #61
ViperSkeele
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
All the Jedi masters were human in Kotor 2,...
Hey now just because Master Vandar is only two feet tall doesn't mean he's not a REAL Jedi Master ! :O) oops he didn't show up in K2 did he?

Last edited by ViperSkeele; 10-28-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: a oops
ViperSkeele is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #62
Lightsider
Rookie

Hey, what about making it like "Mass Effect" what I have seen with this engine and the game play videos really look frackin awesom!!
Lightsider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #63
Berd
Lurker

Ranting ranter is ranting

Quote:
-Different Species for PC
I am all up for this one.
It is a role playing game, if I want to play a minimaly dressed female Twi'leek teenager, why sholdn't I?
Just kidding, but not really...
Anyhow, what would Star Wars really be without aliens?
There should be advantages to choose each race, like in Oblivion.
Etc. some races heal faster, some are more force sensetive.
And as mentioned earlier, some "racism", people not liking some races, like other, liking their own etc.

Quote:
-Actual Facial customization, not just "choose a head"
Yes! There should be possible to fix the body to, it bothered me that almost everyone in Oblivion had the same height.
And tattoes, and scars, and beards and... you get the point.
Anyhow, there should be some good made faces/bodies pre made for thoose who don't like it and just wanna play.

Quote:
-Limited inventory, but if you leave an Item in a box, it stays there
I think I have a system that should make everyone happy.
When you pick up a new item it comes into your temporary pocket in the inventory, and unless you put it in your favourite folder within you enter the Ebon Hawk will it be automaticly be put in the cargo hold.
And there is a merchant at the starport you can sell the stuff in the cargo hold to, so you don't have to pick up everything from there first.
If there are going to be a limit should it be possible to set it yourself, or after difficulty.
I hated in Oblivion that I picked up a expencive armor and were stuck in the midle of nowhere.

Quote:
-Level Size (Huge)
Somewhat bigger from the earlier games would not hurt, just as long as it is not TOO huge, or feels empty.
Also, KotOR should adopt the fast travel system from Oblivion.
(In the cities that is, not in the dungeons)
Walking trough the half city every five minutes gets tiersome after a while.

Quote:
-Graphics detail (It looks amazing on 360, and a little bit of "pop in" is worth it)
Anything else is shoting your self in the foot.

Quote:
-More side quests, possibly even groups to join like the guilds
Yes, yes and yes.
I looooove side quests, as long as they are good and pay well.
To those who say it will take the focus from the main quest:
Does the devs enter your house, put a gun to your head and shout "SIDEQUEST OR DEATH, CHOOSE!!"?
Cause that haven't happened to me, and therefor I can choose NOT to do certian quests.

And for the guilds, Y-E-S.
Taris was a dillema for me because of it.
On one hand I wanted to not level up so I could get many Jedi Powers later, but on the other hand did I love beeing bounty hunter and fight in the arena.
And yes, I think that is guilds, it were guilds in Oblivion (Dark Brotherhood and Arena).
More bounty hunting and gladiatoring would be great.
And getting contracts from the Exchange to smugle stuff?
Han Solo fans would LOVE it.

And now: Berd's requests!

Quote:
Theft
If you see something you like, take it, as long as no one sees you.
Dark side points for everyone, screw doing side quests for getting aford that robe, take it for free.
Sell it to some rather... shadier contacts...

Quote:
Time
Don't you find it somewhat strange that it ALWAYS is day?
How can you enjoy the nightlife at Tatooine, if the twin suns never set?

Quote:
Clothes
How come miner on Tatooine and farmers on Dantooine has the SAME choice of fasion as Anakin 4000 year later?
More diversity would not hurt.

Quote:
Coop
With a party of three (or four if the devs allow it) would it be fun to open a can of woop ass with some friends.
Just play X-Men Legends and you will understand where I am going with this.

Quote:
Mods!!
The number one reason Oblivion is so good is because there is so manmy mods, and there is so many mods because they are easy to make.
Dumbass D. Dumberldore Jr. could sit down on this PC and make something the devs never had the time to, or tought off.
Making it easy to make and share mods are esential.
Now, I don't know how hard it is to make for KotOR, but the fact that there are way more for Oblivion, even tough it has been out way shorter proves my point.

Last edited by Berd; 11-03-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Berd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #64
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

I have not played Oblivion, but I think K3 should be like KOTOR.

Quote:
-Different Species for PC
It would interfere with the love plotlines, and we don't want too many tiggers that the developers need to worry about, etc. Besides, Humans do play a vital role here. Just have different species for the NPCs.

Quote:
-Actual Facial customization, not just "choose a head"
What the point of it? I love choosing heads!

Quote:
-Limited inventory, but if you leave an Item in a box, it stays there
It's unrealistic, but it's less annoying than having to drop items so you can get your Inventory unfilled again. Plus, there are a lot of quest items and datapads that I would love to go through and read its descriptions when I'm bored, and a limited inv. would be very counterproductive.

Quote:
-Level Size (Huge)
-Graphics detail (It looks amazing on 360, and a little bit of "pop in" is worth it)
But...It is huge. And it has graphics.

Frankly, don't put too much hope into K3. No overhyping, that was the main flaw of K2. It was a great game, and if K2 came out before K1, everyone would have loved K2 and then would have decried K1 for its tacky and unorignal plotline. We don't even know if K3 would come, or if the True Sith would be in there. Frankly, I want a K3. But I don't want them to devivate from what K1 and K2 was and basically is:

1. Do the Tutorial Level.
2. Complete the Introductory Planet. This is where you learn about who is the bad guys (in this case, the True Sith). You know when you are done when the Introductory Planet goes Kaboom and you fly away.
3. Learn about the 4 McGuffins. That's right. The McGuffins. They speak, they talk, they are all-mighty. Once you learn about them, your mission is to find these 4 McGuffins and activate them. Strangely, there is 1 McGuffin on each planet. Hm...best to start cracking.
4. Complete the 4 planets to save the pretty McGuffins. During this time, you will either aquire the LS glow or the DS taint.
5. Activate the McGuffins and then teleport to the Final Levels!
6. Beat the Final Levels and you save the Galaxy! w00t! Seperate endings for LS and DS players.

Somewhat cliche, I admit, but if it strays from this format, then well, it wouldn't really be KOTOR anymore, would it?

But, after K3? Then, YES for an Star-Wars RPG based on Oblivion! It is a good RPG, and if somebody did make something based on it, SEPEARTE from Kotor, then I would buy it.
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 AM   #65
The Sith'ari

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotorfan84
I thought the robes were one of the things Obsidian did best compared to Bioware. I honestly can't see how anyone can argue that the Jedi Robes in kotor 2 don't look more like the actual robes jedi wear in the star wars series.
The fact that K2 robes look more like those in the movies doesn't make them cooler. In reality the robes worn by movie characters are cool, but for some reason when they're translated to those in K2, they become bulky and uncool. And K1 robes are definitely sleeker than K2 robes.

IF they manage to make sleeker movie-style robes in K3, that would be cool. Best if we're allowed to put on/ remove the cloak portion as seen in the movies. And don't forget the hoods too!
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
DarthDementous
Rookie

Current Game: KOTOR I (BoH)
I agree that KOTOR3 should be like Oblivion. I posted a thread in another forum site about the same topic three days before I read this. I also think that it should include physics. Now that would be cool.

DarthDementous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #67
FerroKnight
Lurker

Quote:
Anyone else think that this game should inspire the other RPG designers out there?
I'm not so sure. Compared to Elder Scrolls 3, Oblivion paled. It had great graphics, but lacked the depth of the previous version.
FerroKnight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #68
Xaris Vynn
Rookie

No to limited Inventory you have 8 people with you on a freighter, you should have more than enought room to store all their stuff.

Yes to the limited exploration of the planets, More than what was available in Kotor 1&2 but less than Oblivion, Some of the time It got to be ridiculous, not to mention I got a little lost and it took me a while when I wanted to get back to the story line.

Yes to character customization I don't need as much as there is in Oblivion but more than here you go pick a head. Hair color, eye color, hair length and limited facial structure would be good.
Xaris Vynn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #69
JawaJoey
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arátoeldar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Yeah I believe it should, but not for a third installment for a set game series. After KotOR III is done, if they start a new Star Wars RPG, then I'm all for these kinds of features.
Q.F.E.
QFE again.

God is a placebo with nasty side effects.
JawaJoey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #70
The Sith'ari

^^^ Agreed whoeheartedly.

And another SW game with such freedom as in Oblivion would be fascinating.
The Sith'ari is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #71
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

YEs nothing like the whole hearted splendor of gallivanting jedi running and leaping about the game world aimlessly and unrestricted. From to go about falling over cliff sides into vast and wanderous chasms, coming about to a sharp and extravigant end.
And just think about being able to tame different animals as alternate sources of transportation, and traveling to not just different semi sectors of a city, yet different regions and cities altogether.

And I don't know anybody else's take on it, but I'd have no problem being a kel'dor as my main character taking in a slew of delicious twi'leks for personal pleasure. Those tenticles don't bother me in the slightest. When it comes to retarded cranial figures and bug faces though, come on let's face it, the pleasure there IS target practice.

SAMHAIN HAS REACHED THE FORCE!!!
Jedi are going mad, chaos is ensuing everywhere!!! And all this time the masters were still trying to piece together how you get the handle to just stay on the belt! A drunk jedi is always up for a good fight!!!
"Jawa juice?" "No make it a visarian brandy, I'm gonna need to clear my mind after that last mission."
"You know what I always wanted to see? A celebrity death match dual between Palpatine and GG allin"

Please refrain from using foul language in your signature and your posts in general. Thanks.
~LF Staff
DARTH_DANZIG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #72
tbl
Rookie

K3 should be like Oblivion because Oblivion exists, which is a nice feature of the game. In other words, K3's existence should be on the same level as Oblivion's.
However, K3 should use some sought of updated D&D system as the previous and have dissimilar gameplay/rpg system to Oblivion.
tbl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #73
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl
K3 should be like Oblivion because Oblivion exists, which is a nice feature of the game. In other words, K3's existence should be on the same level as Oblivion's.
However, K3 should use some sought of updated D&D system as the previous and have dissimilar gameplay/rpg system to Oblivion.
Yeah, and you should be able to mate with dragons when on the dark path as to give the whole Knight thing for jedi a warm, homewelcoming perspective.

Jedi are going mad, chaos is ensuing everywhere!!! And all this time the masters were still trying to piece together how you get the handle to just stay on the belt! A drunk jedi is always up for a good fight!!!
"Jawa juice?" "No make it a visarian brandy, I'm gonna need to clear my mind after that last mission."
"You know what I always wanted to see? A celebrity death match dual between Palpatine and GG allin"

Please refrain from using foul language in your signature and your posts in general. Thanks.
~LF Staff
Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #74
khawk
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztemplarz
And something no one has mentioned is skills training, and usage. It would be nice if they did it similarly to Morrowind, where you only advance if you actually use it, or pay someone to train you- how about some useful, unique skills that can't be learned without finding a specific teacher (sub-quests anyone?)? I know that they are unlikely to change the advancement system from that of the previous two titles, so how about modifying it? How about if you start becoming either uber-ds/ls, you are literally RESTRICTED to that dislipline and then universal powers start to cost more (since you're just sooo good/bad)?
Yes, I am off the same opinion. I currently play oblivion and I really think that the level up system should be changed! Why is your character able to make a stasis field when he/she never used stun or stasis? Why could you have so many forcepowers when you never use one and focus on combat with the lightsaber? Why all the restrictions based on level? Why wait till you are for example level 18 to choose master heal while you have used cure and heal a 100 times?
Maybe if you often use your lightsaber you don't have to choose a feat to make better attack / damage bonus but you simply obtain it because you have used it so often. You get messages like: "Your lightsaber skill has increased"
So far the only problem I can see with this system is that your npc's will kill a lot of your enemies to but considering that, maybe you can have an advanced customisation for them as well. Simply select a class on what they should do and possibly learn from them to make you better with whatever. Maybe learn how to be more effective with force powers or the lightsaber or perhaps you are very good at building and improving items, like alchemy in Oblivion. I think this thing is really overlooked and it should certainly be considered by Lucasarts. I think it isn't too difficult to do this and it would be a great bonus.
khawk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM   #75
Carlo El Sanchez
Banned

Oblivion + KOTOR = best RPG ever made.
Carlo El Sanchez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #76
aner21
Rookie

"Oblivion + KOTOR = best RPG ever made."

I think KotOR could learn a lot with OB. Specially regarding how you evolve your character. I've been through this discussion in another thread. Just having the powers/feats there on a screen regardless of which you actually use just ticked me off. Sometimes I ended up choosing some feats or powers only because the ones I wanted were still locked.

I'm all for more species for the PC, for me Jaden Korr will always be a female twi'lek regardless of canon. I don't see the problem in a romantic relation between different species as long as they are humanoids, "beauty's in the eyes of the beholder" right?? You don't get married like in Fable and you don't have kids so what's the problem?? It's not the purpose of the game to spawn some sort of hybrid is it? In another thread someone discussed romantic options and said that lesbian/gay romantic options should not be discussed. In KotOR you had Juhani as an option if your female and I didn´t feel like killing myself over it.

In previous posts some said that guilds/factions aren't possible in KotOR universe. Then my question is: what are the Jedi, Sith, Black Vulkars, Hidden Becks, the Exchange, Czerka Corporation, Genoharadan, Red Eclipse and Serroco if not guilds/factions of that SW universe? You just can't be a part of most of them (I really would've liked being a slaver in TSL)
I would also like it to be a little more open ended (not nearly as much as Oblivion) I would like to have a little more option regarding planets/quests and actually have my choices make a difference (like the Onderon quest in TSL)

For me:

More species, someone mentioned different species = different stats/skills/weaknesses (hint hint)
More customization, not just your face but your entire body (tattoos, scars hairstyles, beards (like in Fable)
More sidequests (that may unlock special items/skills/feats/powers)
Larger maps (Nar Shaddaa in TSL sucked and Korriban was a bit of a disapointment in both and the whole Taris level... geesh I wasn't sorry when it was blown up)
More liberty for the PC (if your DS you should be able to kill any NPC you want and face the consequences, unless it's quest related)
The end of the completelly unreasonable random items where in the Sith Academy you get a Jedi Robe, in the Jedi Academy you get a Sith Robe and in a tomb you get a state of the art belt. Make them random but make it logical (in OB some items are random an others aren't, some are unlocked by a master skill, quests or fame/infamy)

I thing KotOR3 would benefit a lot from some Oblivion characteristics as long as it doens't water down the games concept
aner21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #77
GOD Radu
Rookie

The should let the production of KOTOR 3 to the real specialists the KOTOR moders.
The appearence of the PC in KOTOR 3 should have an in-game custom creation process, so that the each character would look diferent: big, small, fat, skiny. Maybe an optional face creation system. A lot of detail to the enviroment and the NPCs.

I saw Oblivion and it looked great, the producers should leurn something. The should be SFX redone. The atack system, more detail to hair, skin, character evolution.
And the LightSabers must leave marks on walls, people...like Jedi Academy.
KOTOR must have an easy to mod system, easy to understand - easy to mod.
The PC enemyes got to have a loosing body part system...like Jedi Academy.
Maybe something from Dark Messiah(storie ending stile and PC motion).

ANY THING THAT MAKES ME BUY IT!

P.S.: Sorry for the BAD english!
GOD Radu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #78
Wildboar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelastraz
You cant really compare Kotor to Oblivion.
Oblivion isnt based on a tight fascinating Story, but on a huge explorable world.
Oblivion uses a combat system which cant be compared to the one Kotor is using.
yes you can.... and yes, it does. in fact it has a very tight main story ... you can just get side tracked from it.... but, that is your choice/doing... and on top of that it has many other things to do that add to the long term playability.

as far as the combat system i don't know what you mean... if your referring to the interface, oblivion has a much better interface. (imo) i seriously get frustrated with the kotor interface.

another combat interface that i really liked was the daoc system, which actually had styles and other things to get into a rock, paper, scissors type of combat interaction.

oblivion, and the rest of morrowind series is customizable so it can pretty much be changed to what ever you want it to be like just like the bioware product was. it is based on this product: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

what Bethesda, the Oblivion producer, did not do well, was make it so that you could easly tell the system that:

hey! your killing my machine bro! can you just give me a slider that i can say i would like performance over bells and whistles and you figure out what that means vs me having to go to the 27 some odd options for video alone and have to figure out what the heck is bloom and what does it do to performance?

but to me this is a general issue in games, the basic options don't do a good job of making it so that the user of the product does not have to click on the advanced button and become a computer graphics scientist in order to solve scaling back a game system that is capable of using everything in the latest gaming machines.

the bioware product however is really showing it's age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odyssey_Engine they licensed the product which allowed the next version of kotor to be produced. if you follow the link you will see that it for the most part is/(or appears to be) a desupported product. it's replacement is probably only going to be available for license after the game that is being developed around it is done... due for release in late 2007 or 2008... (heres a discussion of it incase your interested... http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pa...=0&cId=3155733 sounds like it would be a great match for kotor 3... but... you will be waiting till 2009 if it were to be choosen imo)

Obsidian Entertainment probably frustrated with the lack of progress on the intermediate step from one game system to the next, seems to have gone and done it themselves... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_engine for NW2... and that... was really buggy at release... so much so, i stopped playing.

i don't care if the Lucas Arts chosen developer, makes it is as extensive as the morrowind series (of which oblivion is the latest) developers made theirs. i liked it that way... doesn't mean it has to be. but, i would like to see more along the line of being able to do things that are not in the script like... say jump off a bridge at the traya academy and since i judged the distance wrong, i fall to my death... and other things that are along the line of taking what you do impacts how people react to you in a much greater way... that is what is very well done in oblivion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi3112
Face finetuning. Like the idea, however it should be done right with enough face models and enough hairmodels. In morrowind you couldn't pick the color and I don't know about oblivion, but I think it would be better that after you pick a haircut you also pick a color and not have the haircut and haircolor tied together. The same applies for the skincolor.
the number of options in oblivion for facial features could keep you absorbed for ... well i don't remember... it was a long time in my case... :-) infact a friend and i played with it alone for a long time.
Quote:
Limited inventory, very bad idea, it takes the speed out of the game. Look at it this way, you have all your stuff on the Hawk, but you don't have to switch back and forth every time you switch items.
i do like the idea of you can keep picking up till your encumbered and if you need to you can go unload at someplace that is safe. eg: the hawk. also there were many ways around encumbered. items, spells etc that made it so you could carry more.
Quote:
area's into 1 area will also increase the loadtime for each area, wich will cause longer waits when switching back and forth from the Hawk, as well as saving
area load times in games based on Gamebryo at least on the machines that i have played them on... rarely have apparent loading of the area. i think the designers do it when there are huge changes in materials... but you can walk all the way from one side of the game world to the other and not know when your going from one "zone" to another (if there really are any)
Quote:
However lipsynching would be overkill as nobody looks at that anyway.
er, mmmm i would... i'm weird thou...
Quote:
Some wheather effect would be nice, such as the wind effect of the hair, or
done in obliv, time of day, weather patterns, wind blowing, moon phases and orbiting, etc... no wet hair or clothing though :-(
Quote:
when somebody farts you see their robes waving for a short time while everybody grabs for their nose making fitting comments.
make sure it also includes the scratch and sniff for realism... /coughs
Quote:
Guilds would be pointless, you have more important things to do. You can't be bothered with getting yourself involved with a guild.
i don't agree with this, as someone else said there are many guilds in the kotor world and a PC could use the power of others that he/she had associated with to aid the PC in accomplishing a task.

much more interesting potential then a stable of horses that you randomly pull into the game when you need them or take them out when your about to do something that will end up with their disfavor(so you can cop out on taking the hit of doing the bad thing).

Last edited by RedHawke; 02-22-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Combining double post...
Wildboar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #79
DARTH_DANZIG
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by †Saint_Killa†
I agree with you on the customizations and large maps.
Yea fully scaleable like oblivion and somewhat like academy couldn't hurt either.

~LF Staff
Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM   #80
Rogue Spy
Banned

I have played and completed everything there is to do on Oblivion and great game btw! but back on topic, i think ofcoarse the graphics would be great on K3, and i guess the gameplay could be like Oblivion's, but the gameplay of KOTOR is fine and i hope it's only released on Xbox 360 and PC (The deserving platforms) Wii and PS3 shouldn't get it. They have no previous record with the KOTOR series and its just stupid to release it on them.
Rogue Spy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > KOTOR 3 should be like Oblivion