lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PC Voices
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Venom750
Veteran

PC Voices

I would like in the next game you character will have a voice because i was recently playing the godfather and i thought that would be good in the next KOTOR game maybe you could have a choice of a few sets of voice.

I not paranoid it's everyone else

Venom750 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
The Distorted
Rookie

Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...
With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.

"Someone's gotta get tough,
or someone else is gonna cry"
The Distorted is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Then the game would take up a lot moreharddrive space, but it would add more realism to it.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Venom750
Veteran

it does make more sense as the chosing the line thing which i lkie

I not paranoid it's everyone else

Venom750 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
While imagining the voice was a good idea, I found myself mentally injecting Revan's voice from K1 into the exile's lines, which was troublesome. Maybe they could have something in the settings where you could activate or deactivate PC voices, depending on the player's preference.

Picking between a few soundsets might be a little too much, but it would still be neat, though it would pose as a continuity nightmare for SW historians. Yet another variable to deal with.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
mjpb3
Forumite

I don't know... I think I'd rather they keep it like it is.

I feel it is more personalized if I can imagine Revan/Exile/AnyNewPC's voice in my head rather than hearing some actor say the lines. I can put more of ME in my character if I am the one to give them a voice rather than some actor saying lines. To me, it would kind of change how I 'hear' them, and would seem less personalized. At least to me.

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨My Mods¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Disciple FTW!
There is no canon. There is only Revan.
FYI: I am a girl, and you may call me Janet.
It's all just fun and games until the flying monkeys attack.
mjpb3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
Master Kavar

I think the silent PC is fine, besides after you've already read the character's dialogue choice there isn't much reason to have it spoken, it would just be taking up more time.

However I would like the PC's sound effects to return, ala KOTOR1. I really liked fem Revan's voice, like when she says "That had to hurt." or "Out of sight, out of mind."
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #8
mjpb3
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kavar
However I would like the PC's sound effects to return, ala KOTOR1. I really liked fem Revan's voice, like when she says "That had to hurt." or "Out of sight, out of mind."

Word! It really cheesed me off that FEMME Exile (my game ) had no voice. I played like that for the longest, until I figured out how to add her soundset (recycled Revan's voice from K1) back into the game.

And, no I did not port anything. I would have to find the thread, but someone wrote instructions on how to do it, and I did it, and it worked

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨My Mods¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
Disciple FTW!
There is no canon. There is only Revan.
FYI: I am a girl, and you may call me Janet.
It's all just fun and games until the flying monkeys attack.
mjpb3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Distorted
Personally, I'd prefer it if they kept the formula they have established for the entire series, plus I like to imagine how my character's voicing the lines, otherwise I'd hear it not in the way that I would have imagined my char. expressing it...
With the way it is - I can imagine myself playing out a role much more convinvingly, like I'm there, or that this char. really is a creation of my own, then hearing someone elses pre-recorded voice, no matter how much I may like it.
Well my arguments allready been stated. I spose you would'nt like it back in the day when no one spoke in games, or back even farther when you had text adventures with (quite rare)little or no pictures.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I agree with Master Kavar--I liked having the PC sound effects, but would prefer to leave the rest of it to my imagination.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #11
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Click me for info on microwaving cats for fun and profit!
You'll find my answer there, along with opinions from many members that will also apply to me.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
†Saint_Killa†

I want voices to be only in battles. Voices in dialogs eats up my hard drive .

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
If you gave the PC a voice, (IMO) it would take quite a bit away from the individuality we've associated with our character.

As we would play, we would slowly lose the personal connection we've established with the PC of this series. It wouldn't feel like KotOR anymore and we'd be trying to figure out why.

That being said, I like Skye's idea to at least give the player the option. Maybe more people would play if they were given a choice of voices. (doubtful)
I would definately have mine disabled.

With all the voices in my head, I'll probably just pick one of those.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
shinyjedi
Rookie

Sorry if this is considered thread resurrection, but I've just come to a conclusion on the subject.
The first time I read through this, I acquiessed to the theme that hearing a voice would be distancing. I've changed my mind.
Here's what I thought all along:

On the subject of repetitiveness, I don't think hearing the PC speak the line after you've read it is any more wasteful than watching the PC strike the blow or cast the force power you've already added to the que.

It's dumb (pardon the pun) for the PC to deliver all lines close-mouthed while nodding gently. Not as dumb as when you momentarily take control of Atton and HE does it in spite of the fact that Atton's voice is pretty much set in stone. I can't remember, when you take control of T3, can you hear the beeps or not? What about when you have some of the limited conversations while on the Dxun side quest? How would it distance you from, say, Visas (who I usually send as party leader) to hear her say the lines?

A voice for the PC would contribute to the movie-like flavor of the game.

As I said, I'd already gone through this thread, conceded the points of Cygnus Q'ol et al and settled into providing my own voice mentally. Then, recently, I tried a go through with a female PC. I used the Asian head and the asian underwear mod, which made Atton's early comments MUCH funnier. Trouble was, I'm an old guy with a gravelly voice. It was disruptive! I kept wanting to tell her to knock of the cigarettes!

So give us voices! allow for them to be disabled for cramped installs or personal taste, but give them over regardless.

And yes, I did hate the old silent, and particularly text-based games.
shinyjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 AM   #15
†Saint_Killa†

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyjedi
As I said, I'd already gone through this thread, conceded the points of Cygnus Q'ol et al and settled into providing my own voice mentally.
Maybe you should use your mentality and imagination a bit more . Im quite content on imagining my PC's voice. But as all games go there is always an improvement and PC voices wouldn't hurt.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #16
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Shinyjedi, although you made some good points, why would you want everything you say repeated back to you? It would get very annoying, very fast.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
shinyjedi
Rookie

I don't see the difference between reading the lines and clicking the action for the combat que. It's kind of like Kabuki theater, where you aren't supposed to see the guys in black. The text you read isn't real until the character says the line. Helps with immersion, I guess.
I do agree that, at some point, it'll get annoying, but the same can be said for ALL of the dialect in the game. By the 8th or 9th playthrough, I'm usually fast-clicking through EVERYthing.
Who knows, when playing a male PC I might even choose the "disable" switch, but I'd still prefer the option.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #18
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Trouble was, I'm an old guy with a gravelly voice. It was disruptive! I kept wanting to tell her to knock of the cigarettes!
Hmm, possibly it is just me but I have no problem thinking in a female voice for a female character in a game. Of course I'm a long time PnP RPG player so that 'gift' might have come with that.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
To me both ideas are good - I don't think the game is worse, if my character doesn't have a voice-over, but I also don't think it's worse, if the character has a voice-over.

With, or without the voice-over, I won't have any problems imagining I'm that character, or something like that.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #20
firehead2591
Rookie

i don't like the idea of you reading it then the character saying it, its repetative. i played psychonauts and it was like that but didn't have very much dialogue. i can't imagine how annoying it would be for a game like kotor which will most likley have LOTS of dilogue
firehead2591 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 08:32 PM   #21
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Well, with game like Psychonauts or Monkey Island it's going to be a lot different. If they decided to have the PC read each of his/her lines, there's a good chance that most people will get awfully bored with the conversations in the game. And then you'd have people avoiding the dialogues, which would be problematic because the entire game is build around vocal interactions. All in all, it would be detrimental to the game's sales. The developers wouldn't want to take the chance.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #22
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
The voice system worked out well in both KotOR games IMHO. I never had any trouble imagining Revan and the Exile's voices. And even if PC voices were included, that wouldn't work out well with the way all the dialogue is set up. Would the voicing lines play when you were highlighting a response, or after clicking a response would it show your character saying the line you chose? The first one would be annoying, and the second would make the dialogue get repetitive while still being annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #23
firehead2591
Rookie

yeah i have a big imaganation so its easy to imagine a voice for the PC
firehead2591 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #24
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
No, no voice. Maybe like the way it was donein KotOR I, where he/she only has a voice when switching to the main character, or when he/she performs a skill or something. Anything more than that it unnecessary.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #25
shinyjedi
Rookie

I can safely say that, after the first couple of runthroughs, I cycle through the dialog pretty quickly in any case, and I think basing the have or don't have arguement on whether a player will listen to the entirety of what's said every playthrough is sophistry.

I'd like to see voice for PC follow the click to say pattern. I don't believe it would be disruptive that way. I'd think the LEAST we should have would be the K1 system.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #26
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Distorted
I totally agree. I like imagining what he/she sounds like, and how he/she sounds...

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #27
tbl1
Rookie

Well when you read the line, it's like speaking it in your mind and it kinda feels like your saying it. So no pc voice
tbl1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #28
Sith_Reven
Rookie

no pc voice. The character is you and while what you say is already determined( There are great lines anyways) the voice is not necessary.

Savior, conquerer, Hero, Villian... You are all things Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the darkness nor the light. You will forever stand alone.
-Malak
Sith_Reven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #29
Jackel

The problem with voices is how the actor says a line. If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader. Palpy was manipulative SOB and Vader was a hands on bully.

That and frankly even if there was 10 choices of voice for male and female I doubt any would fit my character and how I see them.
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #30
shinyjedi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackel
If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader.
The problem with that line of thought is that the response to the line would be set by the same people who'd have set the tone of the line, whereas the response to the same words delivered in two completely different "tones" would vary considerably. For instance, if the writers decided that a line was delivered with forcefulness and you decided the line was delivered with quiet menace, the response from the NPC would still be something like "hey, simmer down, no need to shout!" Which, while in perfect keeping with a line delivered forcefully, would be completely at odds with the same line delivered with quiet menace. IOW, it would be disruptive.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #31
witchfinder
Rookie

A voice for the PC? No way. Basically for the reasnons tbl1 stated.
witchfinder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #32
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

I dont want voice for the pc, that wouldent feel good. And this is maybe just me, but i usaly skip the dialoug when i have read it, if it's not a funny line. So it would just be more skipping for me
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #33
Jasper_Kazai

I think it is incredible how they were able to make two games where the characters were able to avoid using the player's name. Of course, they did use Revan at about every possible time after the Leviathan, but still.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #34
Henz

No, it would use up memory that could be more useful in other places.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #35
THE MANDALORE
Rookie

I like the idea except for the memory part. Would the new dialog take up memory on Xbox as well?

"Mundiyan to Bach Ke"
- Best Punjabi Song of the Year
THE MANDALORE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #36
Elukka
Rookie

I don't think voices are a bad idea, i would probably use them, but i'd prefer to be able to select "No voice" too.
Elukka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #37
Jackel

Quote:
If they say a threatening line with malice and a "dont mess with me" voice it distracts from my character who would say the same line but subtly so that its quiet and far more violent because its said gently. Its the differene between Palpatine and Vader.
Quote:
The problem with that line of thought is that the response to the line would be set by the same people who'd have set the tone of the line, whereas the response to the same words delivered in two completely different "tones" would vary considerably. For instance, if the writers decided that a line was delivered with forcefulness and you decided the line was delivered with quiet menace, the response from the NPC would still be something like "hey, simmer down, no need to shout!" Which, while in perfect keeping with a line delivered forcefully, would be completely at odds with the same line delivered with quiet menace. IOW, it would be disruptive.
Completely disruptive, which is why I would hate to have a voice for my characters, and having the voice sound just like the writer wanted it to sound like doesnt always fit with who is playing the character. And as the writers arent playing my game I have the final say of how my character would say a line.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #38
shinyjedi
Rookie

Quote:
Completely disruptive, which is why I would hate to have a voice for my characters, and having the voice sound just like the writer wanted it to sound like doesnt always fit with who is playing the character. And as the writers arent playing my game I have the final say of how my character would say a line.
Erm... so your take is that there should be NO voices in the game? Because, if the NPCs have voices, they're going to be responding to the PC's lines as though they'd been delivered in the tone and with the inflection the writers intended.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #39
Jackel

Quote:
Erm... so your take is that there should be NO voices in the game? Because, if the NPCs have voices, they're going to be responding to the PC's lines as though they'd been delivered in the tone and with the inflection the writers intended.
No, as I actually said, and you completely ignored, is the person playing the game decides how their character speaks a line. Their character. Not every character in the game. Please take a note of what I write next time and actually respond to that rather then coming up with a idea that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I know I personally am going to react the same way if someone tells me to shut up in either a soft tone that extrudes anger by the way it is said or if growled at me roughly by someone. And I bet you would to, if I threatened to rip your heart out and feed it to you in a soft menacing voice you would not likely react if Prime yelled it at you and pointed his finger at you. Your reaction, and thus the NPC's reaction is likely to be the same no matter how the line is said.

The NPCs who are controled by the writers, and to a greater extent who ever is recording the voice overs for the game, means they can decide how the NON-player-character reacts to the line, my darkside characters on the other hand are more of the conniving smart non loser type of evil who, like I said, would say a line in such a way to suggest s/he didnt just mean what s/he said but would follow through without hesitation. Being forced to listen to a dumb brute type of voice ranting like a child would distract from my game and would annoy the crap out of me.

I dont mind the things like in K1 "now you see me, now you dont" style things worked fine. I and many others would have no problem with that. But my character is MY character and reacts to situations in ways I decide, not the writers or voice actors.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:28 PM   #40
shinyjedi
Rookie

@jackal;

Interestingly enough, I did read your post and I did respond to what you had written. I simply thought it was based upon a completely unfounded concept. I have now reread your original post and your diatribe following my response. I have studied both, and still maintain that your contention is utter bollux. While you can no doubt cherry-pick certain statements that would garner a similar response no matter how they were couched, you can find just as many that simply won't.

Take the simple statement "I need you." Shout it and you get one response, whisper it and, while the basic idea might remain the same (or might not), the response is typically different.

Place emphasis on different words, and you change the meaning subtly.
"I need you." "I need you." I need you."

Now say it sarcastically, and the meaning behind it changes completely, thus requiring a completely different response.

Oh, and calm down, you'll give yourself a stroke!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > PC Voices