lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What storage medium would you want Kotor III on?
DVD only 40 47.62%
DVD and CD 28 33.33%
CD only 3 3.57%
I don't care 13 15.48%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: PC DVD-only
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
PC DVD-only

DVDs are vastly superior to CDs for any purpose, and yet only two Lucasarts PC games are available on DVD: Battlefront II and Empire at War. Both previous Kotor games each had four CDs and no DVD version, and I'm just guessing that Kotor III will be on even more CDs. I for one believe that there should be no CD version of any computer game anymore, and they should all be on DVD. How would you feel about the PC version of Kotor III being DVD-only?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Both. Althoug my computer can handle DVDs, some can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
I'd stick to one or the other, for simplicity. No preference as to which, really. If the recent LucasArts games are DVDs, it's likely that K3 will be DVD as well.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
True, but DVD-only is a win-win situation. Those with DVD drives can now play games without disc switching, and those without now have a good reason to bring their computers up to date.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium
and those without now have a good reason to bring their computers up to date.
I don't think some consumers would quite see it that way.

You have a good point, though. Sooner or later CDs are going to be obsolete: they have to switch sometime. Better to do it while the technology is still emerging.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

Both, for the sole puropse of some people don't have CD/DVD drives.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well by the time they get around to making Kotor 3 I'll have gotten a newer computer, possibly dual DVD/RW with Lightscribe. So I'll go with DVD only, besides KOTOR 3 will probebly only be on Vista so with some games going to DVD the reasonable person will have a DVD rom drive.

Personally I'm hoping for the day when flash memory becomes cheap enough to become the universal format or Blu-ray
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Some of us hang on to our computers for awhile, so I'd like the option of buying it in either medium.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I don't know what the additional costs would be to make both DVD and CD media for the next KotOR. I'm not opposed to having the game released on both types of media but I definitely want to buy it on DVD because I just don't like having all those CD-ROM's lying around. Using them only for installation purposes seems really inefficient to me (excepting disc 1 of course since it's the play disc).

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I don't really care, but DVD and CD would be the way to go IMO. That way everone can use them. But it might change depending on when (or if ) KOTOR 3 come out.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
But if it is produced for 64 bit processor and you need to buy a new computer you might as well get a DVD ROM drive
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
^^^
If KotOR 3 is produced before the end of 2007 it won't be restricted to a 64-bit CPU only. There are simply too many 32-bit processors out there and it wouldn't make sense for any game publisher to do that if they wanted their game to be profitable as they would be limiting their game distribution to a comparatively small market segment.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
I don't really care, we'll see what happens when it happens.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 04:17 AM   #14
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
I for one believe that there should be no CD version of any computer game anymore, and they should all be on DVD. How would you feel about the PC version of Kotor III being DVD-only?
It's not a big deal for me. I still remember the times when games came out on more than 10 floppy disks - *that* was annoying.
How we feel about it, doesn't matter anyway. Game companies know very well, how the computers of their peer group are equipped and if they think that enough of the possible K3-buyers got DVD-drives, they will publish K3 on DVD...
Buzz1978 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
DvD's are far more superior.
I just hate it when i need to change cd's all the time. With just one DvD, it will run far more smoother.

Most of the PC's have DvD drivers at this time. I would prefer DvD, although they should make a Rom version too. Otherwise, they could loose some gamers.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #16
†Saint_Killa†

It doesn't matter to me as long as I will be able to play. But I would go for DVD. No CD switching.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #17
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Some of us hang on to our computers for awhile, so I'd like the option of buying it in either medium.
Yeah, like me. My XP has been upgraded to a 1 gig from a 256mb, then you still have virtual memory...

But it doesn't have a DVD drive, and everywhere I look is too expensive to have one added. Prices range from $210 USD to $450 USD. I'm NOT doing it.

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #18
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaimer
But it doesn't have a DVD drive, and everywhere I look is too expensive to have one added. Prices range from $210 USD to $450 USD. I'm NOT doing it.
What are you talking about? You can get a DVD drive for like $50!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....sortfilter.jsp

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #19
Darth333
Administraterror

What there's no option for 51/2" diskettes? j/k

I don't mind CDs but it's starting to be obsolete for games. New computers all sell with a DVD drives. I paid $52 Canadian dollars for a very good pioneer DVD drive. It took less than five minutes to install and it runs like a charm
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #20
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
You can get a DVD drive for like $50!
It took less than 30 seconds with google to find drives for less than 30 USDs. Just out of curiosity: Can someone tell me a good price research site for the US? From what I found it seems that prices for computer parts are somewhat higher in the USA than in Germany and I find that quite hard to believe...
Old 03-29-2006, 01:40 PM   #21
Jackel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz1978
It took less than 30 seconds with google to find drives for less than 30 USDs. Just out of curiosity: Can someone tell me a good price research site for the US? From what I found it seems that prices for computer parts are somewhat higher in the USA than in Germany and I find that quite hard to believe...
You could try http://newegg.com/ seems to be suggested a lot by folks I know in the USA.
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #22
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
What there's no option for 51/2" diskettes? j/k

I don't mind CDs but it's starting to be obsolete for games. New computers all sell with a DVD drives. I paid $52 Canadian dollars for a very good pioneer DVD drive. It took less than five minutes to install and it runs like a charm
The computer I play the Kotor games on came with a DVD drive, but I actually found a DVD drive a Wal-Mart for only $30, which is about half of what Kotor III will likely cost, which is a sign that they're not expensive anymore.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
dede_frost
Rookie

Quote:
The computer I play the Kotor games on came with a DVD drive, but I actually found a DVD drive a Wal-Mart for only $30, which is about half of what Kotor III will likely cost, which is a sign that they're not expensive anymore.
Yes, but you have to see that you're talking about the US (or Canada, or any other northern countries), and computer accesories are much cheper there. In Brasil, for example, you can't get a decent dvd drive for less than $250 of our money, which is quite a bit. I know most of LA fan's base is in northern countries, but I wouldn't be surprised that their overall sales went down 15% if they made it on DVDs only.

I would like to see something similar to what they did for E@W, make a CD version and a slightly more expensive colectors edition on DVD.
dede_frost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dede_frost
I would like to see something similar to what they did for E@W, make a CD version and a slightly more expensive colectors edition on DVD.
I disagree. If they do make it for both formats, I think that they should have the CD and DVD versions equally priced and equally distributed, or the DVD version more available, or the CD version non-existant.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
dede_frost
Rookie

Well, mabie you're right, but you have to consider that companise DO spend more money when they make DVD games as oposed to CD games (another reason why there are less computer games on DVDs), that's where I'm comming from on the price increasse.
dede_frost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 06:52 PM   #26
helljumper51
Rookie

i think only dvd, becuase i got the collectors edition of BFMEII and it came on DVD and it was alot easier to install becuase i didn't need to put in all the discs. and it will make it harder to copy. plus, almost all pc's that u can buy now have dvd roms.

I am a Sergeant in the Day of Defeat: Source Realism Unit The 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. I server with the best and only the best. The airborne is for me. The 506th Made me the soldier i am today. Curahee!!!!! I am also a Republic Commando......But that is another tale.......
helljumper51 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #27
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I 'm sure people complained when they had to move from 5 1/4 in. floppy to 3.5 in.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #28
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Same for that very reason. Some people may not have the DVD function on their computers. My old laptop didn't have it and I need to reprogram it so I can put an attachment on for my brother.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #29
DarkLord152
Rookie

Location: On a Imperial Destoryer with the rest of my fleet waiting to attack the Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
My point exactly.

-Excute Order 66-Darth Sidous
DarkLord152 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #30
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz1978
Just out of curiosity: Can someone tell me a good price research site for the US? From what I found it seems that prices for computer parts are somewhat higher in the USA than in Germany and I find that quite hard to believe...
PriceWatch.com

You can get a 16X DVD drive as low as $19 US.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #31
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

I won't be able to get it in punchcards?!?!

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 08:30 AM   #32
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
You can get a 16X DVD drive as low as $19 US.
Ok, my world view has been re-established...
Prices are almost the same, maybe a tiny bit lower in germany, but shipping costs are way lower in the US, probably because credit cards are uncommon around here...

Back to topic: I hardly consider "both" a real possibility, but they're free to make the decision dvd vs. cd for every language on its own. Even with a nonlinear quantized file format with variable data rate the voice files will likely take up up to 500MB for each language so an international version is out of question - sadly, because most german synchronizations of games and movies really suck. I know already that I'll have to pay my Kotor3 in pounds...
Old 03-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #33
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
Same for that very reason. Some people may not have the DVD function on their computers. My old laptop didn't have it and I need to reprogram it so I can put an attachment on for my brother.
But like anything you need minimum system requirements. If you don't have it, time for an upgrade. Like you said, your laptop is old. You can't expect developers to support older and older hardware.

Quote:
but you have to consider that companise DO spend more money when they make DVD games as oposed to CD games (another reason why there are less computer games on DVDs), that's where I'm comming from on the price increasse.
How so? It is less expensive to produce one DVD instead of 4+ CDs for each game...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #34
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
But like anything you need minimum system requirements. If you don't have it, time for an upgrade. You can't expect developers to support older and older hardware.
It is less expensive to produce one DVD instead of 4+ CDs for each game...
It is less expensive to do 1 DVD. However, if only half the people have a DVD drive and the game is only done on DVD, you lose sales for those who only have a CD drive. If the great majority of the purchasers have DVDs, then I think they could safely make it in only that medium. However, if a significant portion of the purchasers don't have a DVD drive, then they're going to have to weigh the trade-offs on expense of CDs vs. loss of revenue by not selling CDs. The field's moving to DVD, but not all of us dinosaurs have made it there yet (well, OK, I have, but my dad hasn't yet ).

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #35
Palpatine_dc
Rookie

I voted DVD only. I saw a lot of people say both media, and I can see your logic but I do have some remarks:

#1. I took the hardware survey of Steam network and in it's results it said that of around 2 000 000 people questioned 90% has a DVD rom

#2. Computers without a dvd are mostly older systems, and it could be questioned if those same computers have the neccesary power to run a KotOR 3? Off course we don't know the sys specs yet, but i doubt it would run fluently on b.e. an old P3 500 mhz.

#3. DVD has already replaced VHS as the prime medium for movies, games have been slow to catch up. But recently things have started to pick up speed. I know the last 5 games I played were all on DVD rom. I think regular cd roms are becoming rapidly outdated as the prime medium for games, also because games keep getting bigger and bigger memory requirements.

Besides having 4 cd's in a unsuited DVD sized box is just awkward.
Palpatine_dc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #36
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Yes, but you have to see that you're talking about the US (or Canada, or any other northern countries), and computer accesories are much cheper there. In Brasil, for example, you can't get a decent dvd drive for less than $250 of our money, which is quite a bit.
It's true that imported electronic products tend to be quite expensive in South America but $250 is a bit much (unless you mean R$250 and not the equivalent in USD) .

I don't know the stores in Brasil and I don't know how much you can pay but I just found that one by making a short google search (it's the one I have and I'm pretty happy with it) at about $100 US: http://www.pontobr.com.br/_model2/pr...50&emp=pontobr . There is cheaper too: http://central.bondfaro.com/vbop_sk1...-cd-e-dvd.html

Last edited by Darth333; 03-30-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #37
DarthVandar205

Until they can be sure that most of the people who wanna buy KOTOR 3 have DVD players then its safer for all concerned if they make it on both mediums. Sure it might cost a little more but if it makes their customers happy and keep comin back to buy games then what the heck.
DarthVandar205 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #38
Jackel

Quote:
But like anything you need minimum system requirements. If you don't have it, time for an upgrade. Like you said, your laptop is old. You can't expect developers to support older and older hardware.
Aww but I wanted K3 on my C64! I bet it would run totally smoothly aswell.

My answer has been and always will be. DVD only. Most places that supply new comps only seem to supply DVD drives in them nowadays anyway and seeing they are so cheap if you just pick one up yourself and install it its going to cost you next to nothing.

You want to game then you need the right tools to game. DVD drives are right now becoming one of the right tools.
Jackel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #39
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I would think that LA would want to keep their sales up. The goal of a corporation is to increase their profits. Basic economics folks. I don't think they would opt for an exclusive audience only because they would end up losing potential profits and that's like a no no in economics.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #40
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Both. That way, nobody complains.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > PC DVD-only