lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: vB Code Suggestion
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
vB Code Suggestion

I believe there is a vB Code that allows one to display other Codes without activating them. What I mean is, something that lets readers see the bold tags without having the text between them bolded. I'm pretty sure the code is ...text....

This would make it easier to show new members how to use the vB Code tags without having to put spaces in them. It's not a major problem that willl being the end of the forums, I know, but it would make things just that much more convenient. Could this tag be activated, or is it not available for some reason?
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I think what you're looking for is:

HTML Code:
[b]This[/b]
[url=http://www.lucasforums.com/]This[/url]
[img]http://static.lfnetwork.com/lucasforums.com/images/default/lf_menulogo_top.gif[/img]
It is the [HTML] tag, which is prompted by the following icon:

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
That's exactly what I meant. Thanks a lot, Thrik.

One question: How do I go about setting that up in a post? I'm still solightly confused?
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

You just have to wrap it all in [HTML] and [/HTML] tags. Ironically, the only tag that you can't actually include unparsed within the HTML tags is the HTML tag itself; otherwise, I'd show you.

The easiest way is to just write out the VBCode as usual, highlight the bit that you don't want to be parsed, and then hit the icon I showed above.

I have to confess, though, the HTML tag isn't really designed specifically for showing unparsed VBCode. Its actual use is to colour code real HTML if you enter it in there, which I guess is useful for web developers and such; since it's rarely used, it does this secondary job pretty well too.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Or you could use the [code] [/code] tag...

Last edited by coupes.; 05-03-2006 at 10:12 AM.
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

[code] still parses (most) vBcode; it's basically the same as [html], except it's designed for displaying code and preserving the spacing — no colouring. Sadly, it doesn't inherit the same non-parsing trick. :~

Code:
Example!

Old 05-04-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
[code] still parses (most) vBcode; it's basically the same as [html], except it's designed for displaying code and preserving the spacing...
Talking about preserving the spacing, the [code] tag automatically inserts a space after 50 characters. This can be quite annoying in the modding forums when you have to post some code. Is there anyway this could be fixed without too much trouble? It's not like it's likely to mess the forum layout as scroll bars are automatically added when it's too large.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

The reason it does it I'd assume is because words in posts are set to wrap at 50 characters to prevent stretchy tables; it seems to carry this setting into the vBcode too. I can't think of any quick solution to this, so you'd have to approach Matt about it, with him being the man of all things PHP.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 AM   #9
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
[code] still parses (most) vBcode; it's basically the same as [html], except it's designed for displaying code and preserving the spacing — no colouring. Sadly, it doesn't inherit the same non-parsing trick. :~

Code:
Example!
Oh, I see... I stand corrected then
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > vB Code Suggestion