lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Books Read?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Books Read?

Read anything new lately? Recently I've read Anthem by Ayn Rand, reread Animal Farm by George Orwell, and read The Closer's by Michael Connelly.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #2
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
The only books I've read lately are for my university entrence exams. Right now I'm in the middle of The Study of Language by George Yule. It's quite entertaining, actually.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Shuz

I've recentyl read The Long Emergency by J H Kunstler and Power Down by soemone I can't remember. They're basically about what life will be like when the human race runs out of oil in the next 10 years. Scary stuff.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Samuel Dravis

I was reading a book on logic by Aristotle... show's I'm a true geek.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
I was reading a book on logic by Aristotle... show's I'm a true geek.
What's the title? I'm currently off on a philosophical kick so I might be interested.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Tall Guy
Est. 1985

Recently bought 'Lost Horizon' by James Hilton. A story based around the legend of Shangri La. Highly recommended although I've yet to watch the film by the same name. Looking forward to that actually...

Tall Guy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
What's the title? I'm currently off on a philosophical kick so I might be interested.
It's this one.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #8
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
I just finished reading 'State of Fear' by Michael Crichton... and now I don't know whether I should believe in global warming or not

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
SteveBB
Rookie

"Animal farm", "The Da Vinci Code" and I'm reading "The Hobbit" at the moment
SteveBB is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
JofaGuht

The Archaic Revival by Terence McKenna. Highly recommended.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
JofaGuht is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
Currently re-reading lord of the flies. Sehr gut.
Scorpicus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
Ramsey721
Rookie

I was thinking about buying 'The Warriors' novel from Amazon by Sol Yurick. I've been reading in and out of my magazine though so.. yeah.
Ramsey721 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpicus
Currently re-reading lord of the flies. Sehr gut.
I hate the way LOrd of the Flies is written, now the 1990 movie, that is funny.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #14
JofaGuht

Hate Lord of the Flies. The message behind it, in my opinion, is bullsh*t. People call me an optimist, but humanity in no way is inherently evil. I find people who think that way to be strange, and people who write books about it are just plain unlikable.

There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going. There's no knowing where we're rowing or which way the river's flowing. Is it raining? Is it snowing? Is a hurricane a-blowing? Not a speck of light is showing, so the danger must be growing. Are the fires of hell a-glowing? Is the grisly reaper mowing? Yes, the danger must be growing 'cause the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing. AAAGGHHH!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #15
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
You want a bad book, try A seperate peace by John Knowls, scool administrators require us to read it luckily our english teacher is a good guy and just made us watch the movie. The highlight of the whole movie is a song about Hitlers testicles
Old 05-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #16
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JofaGuht
Hate Lord of the Flies. The message behind it, in my opinion, is bullsh*t. People call me an optimist, but humanity in no way is inherently evil. I find people who think that way to be strange, and people who write books about it are just plain unlikable.
So what do you think a pack of boys would do left alone on an island? Do you really think they'd be able to keep a society together? I don't think so. As soon as they figure out that there is nothing stopping them doing whatever they want, then it would descend into chaos.

And you can see that in the real world to. When a government collapses in a country, law and order dissapear and the people start to act on their worst instincts and will loot, pillage etc. Everything goes out of control.

By no means is the message bullsh*t.

Last edited by Scorpicus; 05-12-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #17
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The metaphores in LOTF are harder to nail down then in most literature
Old 05-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #18
Scorpicus
Rookie

Makes for lots of irrating exam questions.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
JofaGuht

Quote:
So what do you think a pack of boys would do left alone on an island? Do you really think they'd be able to keep a society together? I don't think so. As soon as they figure out that there is nothing stopping them doing whatever they want, then it would descend into chaos.

And you can see that in the real world to. When a government collapses in a country, law and order dissapear and the people start to act on their worst instincts and will loot, pillage etc. Everything goes out of control.
You see, though, I don't think that's the point the book is trying to make.

No, a group of young boys can't hold a society together. Yes, people go crazy when their government falls. But what the book seems to be emphatically stating is that if you go to year zero, to human's natural instincts where society is judging nothing, then humans would be naturally savage, hateful, selfish, etc. I feel that is bullsh*t, personally. I feel that we'd be a kinder people at year zero. I feel society made us selfish. People are addicted to their cultures, that's why people flip out when a government falls.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #20
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBB
"Animal farm", "The Da Vinci Code" and I'm reading "The Hobbit" at the moment
Animal Farm is a reat book, I'v got to get around to reading 1984
Old 05-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
Scorpicus
Rookie

Quote:
You see, though, I don't think that's the point the book is trying to make.

No, a group of young boys can't hold a society together. Yes, people go crazy when their government falls. But what the book seems to be emphatically stating is that if you go to year zero, to human's natural instincts where society is judging nothing, then humans would be naturally savage, hateful, selfish, etc. I feel that is bullsh*t, personally. I feel that we'd be a kinder people at year zero. I feel society made us selfish. People are addicted to their cultures, that's why people flip out when a government falls.
Dude, society and rules are whatstop people from giving in to thier more evil instincts. People grow up with the training that certain things are off limits e.g. no killing, no stealing etc. When they lose the boundries of rules and society people beckon to their darkest instincts, these darkest instincts that in the end everyone has - mans hunter instincts. At year zero it's all about survival of the fittest.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #22
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Dude, society and rules are whatstop people from giving in to thier more evil instincts. People grow up with the training that certain things are off limits e.g. no killing, no stealing etc. When they lose the boundries of rules and society people beckon to their darkest instincts, these darkest instincts that in the end everyone has - mans hunter instincts. At year zero it's all about survival of the fittest.
Now we're talking Nature vs. Nurture, one of the ugliest discusion points around
Old 05-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #23
elbiolin
Rookie

Just going back to books I would like to mention some of them that most people can find:

Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel, transcriptions from Groucho and Chico Marx radio shows;

Without Feathers and Side Effects, short stories by Woody Allen;

and Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury - talking about year zero ...

For spanish and italian readers I would recomend Il superuomo di massa or El Superhombre De Masas - Mass Superman - by Umbert Eco, western hero development on novels since XVII century until nowadays.
elbiolin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2006, 02:41 AM   #24
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Liked the Martian chronicles, and had plenty of time to read it in "ISS"
Old 05-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #25
elbiolin
Rookie

I was delighted with that book back on college. He's not talking about Mars but Earth instead, and in such a blue and poetic manner.
In the end WE are the martians, he says.
Also, I always liked those small chapters between the bigger ones. Like The Taxpayer, for example.

Some trivia: The spanish version of the book is forworded by Jorge Luis Borges.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:41 AM   #26
elbiolin
Rookie

I almost forgot. I've even done a few comic pages taken from the Night Meeting chapter. So crazy about it back then.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #27
JofaGuht

Quote:
Dude, society and rules are whatstop people from giving in to thier more evil instincts.
Well, I guess it's a belief thing, because that sounds completely wrong to me. That's like saying doing cocaine keeps you from having cocaine withdrawals.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I personally believe people are born evil
Old 05-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
JofaGuht

I'll step out now. It's really not something one can necessarily argue with. But I will be honest. I'm not trying to insult you guys or anything, I just want to purely state how that mindset appears through my eyes: very, very ignorant. Again, I'm just being honest, I'm not dissing on your intellegence. I just think you guys need to look around at various antique shops and specialty stores to see if they're selling any open minds. I think I saw one on ebay the other day.

::sigh:: I miss Virus.

Old 05-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #30
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I have a plenty open mind its just my opinion from what I've seen in my own life, I've considered your ideas but it wasn't enough to change my mind
Old 05-22-2006, 09:01 AM   #31
Shuz

Roger Scruton is a philosopher who dealt with the issue of society and morality. If you read his book Modern Philosophy there's a chapter on it. Illuminating, yes.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #32
Scorpicus
Rookie

Quote:
I'll step out now. It's really not something one can necessarily argue with. But I will be honest. I'm not trying to insult you guys or anything, I just want to purely state how that mindset appears through my eyes: very, very ignorant. Again, I'm just being honest, I'm not dissing on your intellegence. I just think you guys need to look around at various antique shops and specialty stores to see if they're selling any open minds. I think I saw one on ebay the other day.

::sigh:: I miss Virus.
I could easily accuse you of the same thing!

I just have a different opinion on the whole "what causes evil" arguement- it doesn't mean I have a closed mind.

P.S you can't call someone ignorant without insulting their intelligence!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #33
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm currently reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, hopefully this will be as good as Anthem
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #34
I say, I say
Rookie

I've recently finished The GodFather by Mario Puzo, a great thriller and interesting read. I'm hoping to read his other book The Sicilian and Omerta. I've also finished Dune by Frank Herbert and Ninteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.

"Oh Manny, so cynical, what happened to you Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?"
"I died"

There's a Lift Underground

A Lift Underground- A Grim Fandango Appreciation Site
I say, I say is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #35
Shuz

I read A long way down by Nick Hornby. It's about a group of strangers who coincidently meet at the top of a building with the intention of killing themselves but instead, end up as a group bickering, depressed friends. It's a black comedy with some really funny parts, but it wasn't as dark or morbid as I thought it would be. Still recommended though.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #36
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I say, I say
I've recently finished The GodFather by Mario Puzo, a great thriller and interesting read. I'm hoping to read his other book The Sicilian and Omerta. I've also finished Dune by Frank Herbert and Ninteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
The Sicilian is quite an interesting read. It also has a cameo by one member of the Corleone family.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > The Calavera Café > Books Read?