lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The GF Trailer - the pinacal of crap advertising
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Scorpicus
Rookie

Location: Wallowing in mud... or chocolate. I can't tell... no, wait. Thats mud.
The GF Trailer - the pinacal of crap advertising

The Grim Fandango Trailer.

I watched it after I was a hardcore fan of the game and, even with the flushes of excitement with discovering unseen tidbits, I think it is as effective at selling the game as cow dung pretending to be spagetti.

Poor choice of clips, poor choice of music, far too long - in no shape or form does it leave you with the thought: "Wow!! I would kill to play that game!!"

It really takes a genius to make such a bad trailer out of such a great game. I only wonder how much it contributed to the small sales of Grim Fandango...

So what do you guys think of the trailer?
Scorpicus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Payday 2
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
YouTube Link for people that haven't seen it.

I liked it, it wasn't the most excting trailer, but they got across what the game was about and the general feel of the game and well, it could've been better, but it could've been worse.

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Nick Virago

Well, it wasn't that bad, I liked it.
Nick Virago is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Grim_comician

I've spotted a few things that aren't like the original game, most of all the festival with people like Olivia. And some minor stuff too, like Meche in S.S. Lambada without holding a bottle which was meant to throw at Manny. Or, when Manny takes off his cloak in his office but doesn't talk.

Manny: Hah! "Bust-all", my ass!
Grim_comician is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, the trailer wasn't exactly thrilling, but I remember playing the demo before the game came out got me sufficiently excited.

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
I agree that the trailer isn't as good as it could have been. When people ask me 'What is Grim Fandango?' it would be nice if there was a better trailer I could show them but instead I have to point them towards the demo. However I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be... I'd give it a 6/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_comician
I've spotted a few things that aren't like the original game, most of all the festival with people like Olivia. And some minor stuff too, like Meche in S.S. Lambada without holding a bottle which was meant to throw at Manny. Or, when Manny takes off his cloak in his office but doesn't talk.
There are a few high resolution renders of some of those un-included content here,

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 05:41 AM   #7
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Payday 2
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Next time you wanna explain GF to your friends, just click here.

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #8
scabb
zo

I think the trailer is excellent. The original version can be found here too.
scabb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Yeah I agree, the trailer is good, and I've heard no end of people say the same thing over the years (including those who I've shown it to). It's definitely a bit long-winded and not something you can quickly whip out to pull people in, but I can't see many people watching it and not wanting to play the game at the end.

I can't really say for sure how it would have affected my decision to buy though as it was a full-page magazine ad that lured me in. I wish I'd kept that actually does anyone else still have an old magazine with it in? I'd love it scanned so I can see it again. ;D
Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #10
I say, I say
Rookie

I played the game demo too, before seeing the trailer, in fact I think I completed the game before seeing the trailer. It isn't an amazing trailer, but it did what it was supposed to do; advertising the adventure game. Not a work of art like the game, but probably enough to make certain people want to play.

"Oh Manny, so cynical, what happened to you Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?"
"I died"

There's a Lift Underground

A Lift Underground- A Grim Fandango Appreciation Site
I say, I say is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
I'm with the "the trailer isn't good" crowd. The first time I saw it, I simply couldn't believe they had made such a trailer about such a brilliant game. I would have preferred a much darker trailer and a bigger part for the film noir aspect of the game. Perhaps start it with slower, dark scenes and end with something thrilling.

I never point people to the trailer when they ask me about the game. If they want to see video files, I give them the opening cut scene to Year 2.

The only way that I can tolerate the trailer is to think that it's a parody of old movie trailers from the 40's or something. Then it's okay.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Chep
Rookie

The only real problem I have with the trailer is the music. Grim Fandango had the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game, and it doesn't seem like they used it to it's full potential.

While watching the trailer I got an idea though. Wouldn't it be interesting to play this in a movie theatre and see people's reactions? I wonder if I can make it happen.

Chep is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > The GF Trailer - the pinacal of crap advertising