lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: How much do you agree to the following: "Religion does more harm than good"?
+4 (I'm SkinWalker) 19 30.16%
+3 3 4.76%
+2 2 3.17%
+1 6 9.52%
00 (I don't know, or I don't care. Or both) 9 14.29%
-1 4 6.35%
-2 2 3.17%
-3 0 0%
-4 (I disagree strongly) 18 28.57%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Is religion evil?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #41
rccar328
Forumite
 
rccar328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Right where I should be.
Posts: 567
Communism is inherently atheistic - under communism, the government is essentially god. What's more, many of the deaths under the Soviets were Christians & Catholics who were killed or imprisoned for practicing their religion. Even communist China still today oppresses religious people who don't worship in the government-sanctioned churches.

As for Hitler, his Aryan racial superiority ideas were based more on his twisted interpretation of Darwinian natural selection than Catholicism. The same goes for the eugenics movement - Jews (or blacks, or gays, or gypsies, or the mentally disabled, or whomever you're prejudiced against) pollute the gene pool and should be eliminated in the interests of preserving said gene pool. Eugenics happens to be an evil interpretation of Darwinism.



The assertion that religion is evil because some religious people do evil things is inherrently flawed thinking. While there can be evil religions, religion as a whole cannot be evil. People can be evil, and evil people can twist religious scriptures, ideals, and values to get proponents of that religion to do evil things, but that does not necessarily make religion evil, because, as demonstrated by the eugenics movement, just about any ideal or belief can be twisted for evil.

Like Spider AL said, the root of all evil is self-interest. There are plenty of good religious people and plenty of evil religious people, just like there are good people who are athiests and evil people who are atheists. It's not about religion, it's about people. The fact that some religious people have turned out to be scumbags doesn't mean religion is evil, it means that those practitioners of that religion are scumbags.


Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism


Last edited by rccar328; 08-04-2006 at 07:41 PM.
rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #42
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Communism is inherently atheistic - under communism, the government is essentially God. What's more, many of the deaths under the Soviets were Christians & Catholics who were killed or imprisoned for practicing their religion. Even communist China still today oppresses religious people who don't worship in the government-sanctioned churches.
Sad, that.

But it's still Communism that's at fault there, not Atheism.

Quote:
As for Hitler, his Aryan racial superiority ideas were based more on his twisted interpretation of Darwinian natural selection than Catholicism.
Or for that matter atheism.

Quote:
The same goes for the eugenics movement - Jews (or blacks, or gays, or gypsies, or the mentally disabled, or whomever you're prejudiced against) pollute the gene pool and should be eliminated in the interests of preserving said gene pool.
And none of that has to do with atheism, which simply states that there is no God (as opposed to "there's no God, so start a Nazi/Communist country killing all Christians and Jews and homosexuals you see").

National Socialism and Darwinism led to the slaughter of Jews, homosexuals, and Gypsies. Atheism did not.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #43
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar328
Communism is inherently atheistic - under communism, the government is essentially god.
This is a contradiction. The government is god in Communism, therefore the people DO believe in a god. In the Soviet Union, pictures of Jesus were torn down and pictures of Stalin were put up in their places. It's simply trading one god for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar328
What's more, many of the deaths under the Soviets were Christians & Catholics who were killed or imprisoned for practicing their religion. Even communist China still today oppresses religious people who don't worship in the government-sanctioned churches.
I know that, and it's sad. It's typically what happens when one group of religious nuts (Communists) come to power and overthrow the other group of religious nuts (Czar).

Speaking of Communist China, it's funny how Christians like Tom DeLay try to claim to be a persecuted minority in the United States, when there actually ARE Christians being persecuted around the world in China, Afghanistan, etc.

Quite sad indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar328
As for Hitler, his Aryan racial superiority ideas were based more on his twisted interpretation of Darwinian natural selection than Catholicism. The same goes for the eugenics movement - Jews (or blacks, or gays, or gypsies, or the mentally disabled, or whomever you're prejudiced against) pollute the gene pool and should be eliminated in the interests of preserving said gene pool. Eugenics happens to be an evil interpretation of Darwinism.
I suppose this is fair to say, but racial superiority has been around since, well, the Stone Age.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #44
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Damnit, Nance, next they'll stop us from killing abortion doctors.
Sucks don't it? Sometimes I wish we had the right to kill who we wanted, but anyway, I could get the exact bits and pieces but there are parts where it says to obey the law, such as when Jesus was challenged on paying taxes even when they were grossly unfair.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #45
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Why?
Why not? Atheism is the belief in the "fact" that a divine entity does not and cannot exist.
Religion is the belief in the "fact" a divine entity, or entities, exists.



Complete, unfounded faith in anything is dangerous, and it can lead to high levels of idiocy and extremist bull****.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2006, 01:25 AM   #46
SkinWalker
Anthropologist
 
SkinWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Give critical thought a chance
Posts: 2,709
LFN Staff Member 
Sorry, Sithy, but you're wrong. Atheism is a lack of belief in supernatural agency, particularly gods. Nothing more. One can very easily be an agnostic atheist (as I am), and most probably are. This dictates that you have a lack of belief in a god or gods, since no good evidence has been shown to suggest one or more exists, but you acknowledge that knowing for a "fact" that there is no god is beyond your ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar
between Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot, atheistic Communism has killed more people than any religion...and you can probably throw in Hitler for good measure,
Atheistic communism has killed a lot of people. But I challenge you to back up your assertion than any religion. xianity alone has killed many millions. I won't assert any numbers, but since the claim is yours, let's see the stats, shall we?

And, as several have already pointed out, it wasn't atheism that killed these people, it was Marxist-Communism, which has a doctrine of classless society and collectivization that includes and inherent distrust of the bourgeoisie to the point of stifling dissent and preventing a middle class from forming. The "elite class" of these "classless" societies demanded power and worship from the commoners, which was obtained through fear. There is no evidence that atheism leads to Marxism; moreover, there is significant evidence that capitalism among atheists is strong.

On the flip side of your argument, there is much evidence of Christianity and Islam leading to evil acts.

** Flying planes into buildings and detonating vests of explosives on public buses are acts committed by those that believe in an afterlife guaranteed by religious dogma as reward for their actions.

** Exploding pipe bombs at clinics that kill innocent bystanders and shooting doctors because they perform legal abortions is an evil act committed by those that think their imaginary sky god will approve.

** Detonating a Ryder truck full of fertilizer at a government building is the evil of someone who, likewise, believes his religion dictates his action.

Drowning your children in a bathtub or chopping the limbs off of a toddler are the despicable acts done by women who hear their christian deities' voices in their heads.

** Murdering women in Salem, MA is an evil committed by the otherwise pious followers of Christ just to remove the "witches" of their lands.

Thomas Aquinas, in the 13th century said of "heretics" (those that didn't buy into the christian BS being forced upon them) that "they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death." Once convicted of heresy, those that dissented should be put to death. This sounds suspiciously like the restriction of dissent that existed in Marxist-Communism! If communists were guilty of learning their evil from anywhere, it was from the religious. There were plenty of examples of religious nutbars committing evil acts in the name of their dogma and to further their "causes," but none of atheists doing the same for communists to pattern their methods after.

The numbers murdered by christians during the Middle-Ages aren't clear, certainly not as clear as the numbers slain by Stalin and Pol Pot, but this referenced paper paints a pretty grim picture for the damage -the evil- that religion is capable of. Certainly, we cannot hold today's catholics responsible for the evil acts of their ancestors. Nor can we hold today's protestants responsible for the lynchings and racially motivated murder of blacks in the American South just a few decades ago.

But we must keep the fact that religion has a tendency to be used by elites for evil purpose. The dogma and tendency for members of religious cults to accept the words of their cult leaders without question -on "faith"- is just as serious a flaw in the religious paradigm as it is an advantage. Trust without evidence is called credulity, and a credulous person who believes what he does is for an imaginary god can be dangerous to the rest of the world.

The conflicts that still exist in Ireland today are based on protestant versus catholic. People are killing, raping, bombing, etc. All evil acts.

The conflicts occurring in Palestine today are between Muslim and Judaic cults. Terrorists on both sides are launching missiles that kill children, women on their way to work, farmers in fields, etc.

The conflicts in Iraq are largely due to evil acts being committed between two Islamic cults.

The conflicts that occurred recently in the former Yugoslavian region were between religious cults. Graves are still being discovered there where one cult committed mass-murder on members of another.

Religion in and of itself isn't evil. I agree with Nancy Allen. But it sure makes evil easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar
and you can probably throw in Hitler for good measure,
Hitler was a theist. He was born and baptized a Roman Catholic and there is evidence that his actions of genocide were inspired by Biblical genocides committed by mythical figures like Moses. Indeed, Article 24 of the Nazi Party Program calls for "positive Christianity." Clearly, Hitler abandoned his piety in favor of his own "divinity" as it were by the full height of the Third Reich, but his foundation was christianity.


A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 AM   #47
SkinWalker
Anthropologist
 
SkinWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Give critical thought a chance
Posts: 2,709
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
National Socialism and Darwinism led to the slaughter of Jews, homosexuals, and Gypsies. Atheism did not.
Darwinism had nothing to do with the holocaust. Darwinism states, simply, that life evolved by means of natural selection. The "survival of the fittest" fallacy that is often applied by the less enlightened is *not* Darwinian. Being the strongest, fastest, best looking, etc. don't necessarily imply fitness. Fitness is the ability of an organism to maximize its niche and adapt when the niche changes.


A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #48
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Damn. "Pwned" by Skinny.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #49
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
TK-8252:

Quote:
This is a contradiction. The government is god in Communism, therefore the people DO believe in a god.
That's a nonsense. The government takes the PLACE of a mythical deity in communism, that doesn't mean that the government is a mythical deity. The old phrase "the party is god" is a metaphorical phrase, not a literal one.

Quote:
I know that, and it's sad. It's typically what happens when one group of religious nuts (Communists) come to power and overthrow the other group of religious nuts (Czar).
And therefore this too is a nonsense. The communists were not "religious nuts", they were political hyper-zealots.

It's more and more a trend these days for people to split off into two camps, the: "our religion <insert religion here> is true and you must all live under our religious law" camp, and the "all religion is evil man, and all evils have their genesis in religion!!111" camp.

This is fundamentalism on the part of both camps. I hope none of you wish to fall into either camp. Because there is truth to be found in some religious books, and good moral principles. As long as you don't take these works literally or indeed too seriously, they can have a positive effect on you as a person. Moderation on both sides is needed, not one huge urinating contest.

Religion is NOT inherently evil, and yet it is NOT INHERENTLY GOOD. Religion can teach solid moral principles, and yet NO religion should rule your life.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #50
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider AL
TK-8252:

That's a nonsense. The government takes the PLACE of a mythical deity in communism, that doesn't mean that the government is a mythical deity. The old phrase "the party is god" is a metaphorical phrase, not a literal one.

And therefore this too is a nonsense. The communists were not "religious nuts", they were political hyper-zealots.
If you want to be politically-correct, yes, Communism being a religion is nonsense indeed. But this is only because they wanted to replace the heavenly god with an earthly one (Stalin, Lenin, Castro, Mao, etc.)

Many Communist regimes established cults of personality for their "dear leader", similar to how Christianity is a cult of personality for Jesus and Islam is a cult of personality for Mohammed.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 03:38 AM   #51
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
Hitler was a theist. He was born and baptized a Roman Catholic and there is evidence that his actions of genocide were inspired by Biblical genocides committed by mythical figures like Moses. Indeed, Article 24 of the Nazi Party Program calls for "positive Christianity." Clearly, Hitler abandoned his piety in favor of his own "divinity" as it were by the full height of the Third Reich, but his foundation was christianity.

"Christianity is an invention of sick brains," Adolf Hitler, 13 December 1941.

"So it's not opportune to hurl ourselves now into a struggle with the Churches. The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death," Adolf Hitler, 14 October 1941.

"Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure," Adolf Hitler


Hitler created 'positive Christianity' in order to further envelope the people, seeking to avoid a clash of church and state. Of course this is my interpretation, some people have rather unfavorable views of Christianity.


http://geneva.rutgers.edu/src/faq/hitler.html
http://kevin.davnet.org/essays/hitler.html
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 03:44 AM   #52
SkinWalker
Anthropologist
 
SkinWalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Give critical thought a chance
Posts: 2,709
LFN Staff Member 
I agree with your assessment, as I mentioned in my post above where I note Hitler's "abandonment of piety." But it is still very evident that Christianity had a profound influence upon Adolf Hitler and his "final solution."


A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #53
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
I agree with your assessment, as I mentioned in my post above where I note Hitler's "abandonment of piety." But it is still very evident that Christianity had a profound influence upon Adolf Hitler and his "final solution."
I really don't see the correlation. Hitler was a left wing fascist that shut down many religions and rallied the Christian base into a 'safe' Church not unlike Chinese Catholics. From my knowledge it's quite clear that he despised religion in general and notably with Jews who he blamed for losing WWI.

He did of course hate the Jews based upon their race, his entire philosophy was built around the perfection of aryan people not the perfection of any religion.

What was that profound Christian influence?

I'm sure his Catholic upbringing may have had some influence but profoundly? Perhaps he was rebeling against what good there was in his life. Wounded and poor on the streets of Austria after losing WWI Hitler lost mind.

Quote:
Adolf Hitler was brought up in his family's religion by his Roman Catholic parents. According to historian Bradley F. Smith, Hitler's father, though nominally a Catholic, was a freethinker, while his mother was a practising Catholic. According to historian Michael Rissmann young Adolf was influenced in school by Pan-Germanism and Darwinism and began to reject the Church and Catholicism, protesting against being confirmed by the bishop. A boyhood friend reports that after Hitler had left home, he never attended Mass or received the Sacraments.
8
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #54
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Oh well, while there's quotes of his that are critical of Christianity, he clearly was influenced by Jesus.

"...We hold the spiritual forces of Christianity to be indispensable elements in the moral uplift of the German people."

"I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so."

"[Jesus] made no secret of his attitude toward the Jewish people, and when necessary he even took the whip to drive from the temple of the Lord this adversary of all humanity, who then as always saw in religion nothing but an instrument for his business existence. In return, Christ was nailed to the cross."

"My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter."

"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord."
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #55
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
I'm not doubting that he said any of that but could you list your source?

Furthermore it's important to know when, where and in what context he expressed these opinions.

Secondly, to me it's obvious and both common sense to think that his Catholic upbringing affected his character in some way. It had to, as my Catholic upbringing did to me.

The question here is whether it had a profound influence on Hitler. It's rather ambiguous to say this as Hitler had a profound effect on alot of things. In what area did this side of him shine through?

Are people suggesting that it had a profound influence on the final solution? I would have to disagree as Jews were being put to death for being 'unpure' just like other undesirables including Gypsis and Slavs. It's my impression that Hitler wasn't murdering these people because of some religious contradiction, his motivations were purely racial and political.

So to really center on Christianity as a primary motivator is false I believe especially in comparison to his true motivations and ideology.

Again had Hitler been a real Catholic, Nazi germany would resemble more of a theocracy. Instead it was a secular 'National Socialism', a regime that fell down the slippery slope of euthanasia to genocide...hardly Christian aspirations.

There is no doubt in my mind that Hitler and the Nazi movement was very much secular. So when someone says that Christianity had a profound impact on him and his ideology, it's puzzling.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #56
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
I'm not doubting that he said any of that but could you list your source?

Furthermore it's important to know when, where and in what context he expressed these opinions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H...igious_beliefs

Some of those quotes were from speeches, while others were from Mein Kampf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Are people suggesting that it had a profound influence on the final solution? I would have to disagree as Jews were being put to death for being 'unpure' just like other undesirables including Gypsis and Slavs. It's my impression that Hitler wasn't murdering these people because of some religious contradiction, his motivations were purely racial and political.
In that last quote I posted, he talks about how ridding the world of "the Jew" is doing the lord's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Again had Hitler been a real Catholic, Nazi germany would resemble more of a theocracy. Instead it was a secular 'National Socialism', a regime that fell down the slippery slope of euthanasia to genocide...hardly Christian aspirations.
Genocide not a Christian aspiration... o rly... then why'd your god flood the earth with the intention of killing every man, woman, and child?

If that's not genocide, I dunno what is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
There is no doubt in my mind that Hitler and the Nazi movement was very much secular. So when someone says that Christianity had a profound impact on him and his ideology, it's puzzling.
I suppose. He's somewhat similar to Saddam Hussein in that sense.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #57
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_H...igious_beliefs

Some of those quotes were from speeches, while others were from Mein Kampf.

In that last quote I posted, he talks about how ridding the world of "the Jew" is doing the lord's work.
Some type of citation would be helpful, also lets not put too much credence in the words of a mad man. He's clearly contradictory and as we can all agree actions speak louder than words.

His actions were of a left wing, fascist nature and there's really nothing that can dispute that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Genocide not a Christian aspiration... o rly... then why'd your god flood the earth with the intention of killing every man, woman, and child?

If that's not genocide, I dunno what is!
You're not privy to my religious beliefs, I am no longer a Catholic as I left the church shortly after highschool. It didn't have anything to do with Hitler being born a Catholic, believe it or not.

So you do acknowledge that God decimated the earth and started over again? Now wouldn't you consider that to be believing in a fairy tale?

Just asking.

Besides God's work cannot be discribed as genocide since he spared the folks that were free from sin, it wasn't on the basis of their ethnicity as he killed everyone. Also, it's generally accepted that Genocide is carried out by human beings, not the supernatural.

Genocide
* systematic killing of a racial or cultural group
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn


I'm sure you can find something to argue with there but my point still stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I suppose. He's somewhat similar to Saddam Hussein in that sense.
Saddam pretended he was religious also, far more so than the left wing Hitler. Hitler needed the Christians and so he set up a nice little church for them.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #58
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
His actions were of a left wing, fascist nature and there's really nothing that can dispute that.
Fascism is a right-wing thing... had Hitler been left-wing, he wouldn't have thrown Communists into the concentration camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
So you do acknowledge that God decimated the earth and started over again? Now wouldn't you consider that to be believing in a fairy tale?
No I don't believe that, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Besides God's work cannot be discribed as genocide since he spared the folks that were free from sin
He spared the children?? Nuh-uh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
it wasn't on the basis of their ethnicity as he killed everyone.
So he killed EVERYONE. That makes it a lot better.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #59
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Fascism is a right-wing thing... had Hitler been left-wing, he wouldn't have thrown Communists into the concentration camps.
No actually Fascism is not exclusive to right wing movements. In fact to be Fascist you must appose both Marxism and Liberal Democracy.

In fact the proper name for Nazi Germany was 'National Socialism' believe it or not. The economic system was socialist in that there was limited free enterprise and the government owned all major corporations.

Though Hitler detested Communism, alot of his resentment for Soviets was based on race. You don't have to love Communism to be socialist.

I must note that true German socialists were persecuted under National Socialism as they appeared to sympathize with communism.

Still, Nazi Germany by contemporary standards is far more Socialist than Capitalist. Especially in regards to the secularization of German society and their economic system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
No I don't believe that, of course.
Okay well then why state it as fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
So he killed EVERYONE. That makes it a lot better.
If we are to assume that he did then we must assume that he exists. If he exists then he did create man and thus is within his rights to take that life away.


I wish SkinWalker would explain that profound influence Christianity had on Hitler.

I'm really curious as to what that influence was since SkinWalker seems so sure of it, heck I might learn something.

Last edited by Good Sir Knight; 08-07-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #60
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
In fact the proper name for Nazi Germany was 'National Socialism' believe it or not. The economic system was socialist in that there was limited free enterprise and the government owned all major corporations.

Though Hitler detested Communism, alot of his resentment for Soviets was based on race. You don't have to love Communism to be socialist.
Here's from wikipedia:

"Nazi was also meant to mirror the term Sozi (a common and slightly derogatory term for the Nazis' main opponents, the socialists in Germany)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_socialism

Hitler was neither a capitalist nor a socialist; he was a corporatist. Where business and government is married, much like how it is now in the U.S. under the leadership of the neocons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Okay well then why state it as fact?
I don't... Christians do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
If he exists then he did create man and thus is within his rights to take that life away.
I see. So I suppose that parents have the right to take away the lives of their children because, after all, they created their children.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #61
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Besides God's work cannot be discribed as genocide since he spared the folks that were free from sin
All who committ genocide spare those they deem "free from Sin". It's not like Hitler killed homosexual Germans and spared heterosexual Germans.

Quote:
No, actually Fascism is not exclusive to right wing movements. Though I'm sure CNN would have you believe that.
Yeah, the evil left-wing news are trying to turn us into socialist dicator-aspirants, one documentary at a time.

As for facsism being purely right-wing, it does not have to be for Nazi-Germany to have been right-wing.

Quote:
The economic system was socialist in that there was limited free enterprise and the government owned all major corporations.
Are you sure? Please show me the source of that.

Quote:
If we are to assume that he did then we must assume that he exists. If he exists then he did create man and thus is within his rights to take that life away.
Just that you created a life doesn't give you the right to kill it. Do my parents have the right to murder me (as TK said in the post he posted before I was done typing mine)?

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #62
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
No, actually Fascism is not exclusive to right wing movements. Though I'm sure CNN would have you believe that.
And I'm sure Faux would have you believe that Hitler was an evil atheist left-wing socialist fascist.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 10:36 PM   #63
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Hitler was neither a capitalist nor a socialist; he was a corporatist. Where business and government is married, much like how it is now in the U.S. under the leadership of the neocons.
Nazi germany's economic policy is closer to socialism than capitalism, way closer. Don't you see that?

In case you haven't noticed, The United States is still a liberal democracy with an economic policy that is capitalist.

Besides, the whole Hitler/Bush comparison is a bit of a cliche now don't you think?



Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I don't... Christians do.
Well next time don't state that a Christian God exists, just clarifying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I see. So I suppose that parents have the right to take away the lives of their children because, after all, they created their children.
Is everything relative TK?

Besides you can already do that, it's called abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
All who committ genocide spare those they deem "free from Sin". It's not like Hitler killed homosexual Germans and spared heterosexual Germans.
We're talking about a percieved God here Eagle, I know what constitutes genocide.

Though the Turks probably cited 'sin' when they slaughtered the Armenians. Then again it was probably the Armenians refusal to convert to Islam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
As for facsism being purely right-wing, it does not have to be for Nazi-Germany to have been right-wing.
Can you clarify this statement?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Are you sure? Please show me the source of that.
It appears that wikipedia is generally regarded as credible here so I will quote the article on Nazi Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
When the Nazis came to power the most pressing issue was an unemployment rate of close to 30%. The economic management of the state was first given to respected banker Hjalmar Schacht. Under his guidance, a new economic policy to elevate the nation was drafted. One of the first actions was to destroy the trade unions and impose strict wage controls.
link


Read that first paragraph or the entire piece. Does Germany's economic policy look more like socialism or capitalism?

Wage controls?








I think we've gone off topic here a bit, I love it how I'm swarmed every time I contribute and I think that may lead to tangents.

Do I think religion is evil? To such a broad question with such large implications I cannot give a general answer.

There is good and bad in everything. There are religions and cults that influence folks to do bad things but does that mean that every religion is fundamentally flawed? Some are and many change or die out. There are many examples of peaceful religions in the past and present.

Even religions that need reformation (Islam) are full of well intentioned and good people I believe.

Modern day Christianity in my opinion is a perfect example of a religion that was once twisted by tyrants like Islam is now. People in the secular left wing would disagree for social reasons but you don't see young Christian men killing civilians in the name of Christ. That is something you just don't see very often this day an age.

I'm confident that Islam will make the same leap soon. I would recommend reading Reza Aslan's, "No God but God." He nails it right on the head.

So it isn't a black and white thing. That's why I voted strongly opposed.

I'm confident that the Dalai Lama would agree.

Last edited by Good Sir Knight; 08-07-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #64
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
In case you haven't noticed, The United States is still a liberal democracy with an economic policy that is capitalist.
Not capitalist enough IMO. Oil executives should not be having secret closed-door meetings with government officials. Crony capitalism is not equal to capitalism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Besides, the whole Hitler/Bush comparison is a bit of a cliche now don't you think?
Except I never compared Bush to Hitler. That's just stupid. Hitler knew how to speak; listening to Bush you would never think that you're listening to the leader of a superpower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Besides you can already do that, it's called abortion.
Except a fetus is not a child, but that's a separate debate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Wage controls?
We have that here in the U.S. It's called "minimum wage."
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #65
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Nothing like Nazi Germany's wage controls and you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Except I never compared Bush to Hitler.
Well then who leads these NeoCons?


Can we get back to the subject at hand? What did you think of my contribution on the subject of this thread? That would be a more relevant debate.

I purposefully backed off of touching on all of your unrelated points, lets get this discussion back on track so we don't suffer the wrath of the Admin gods.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #66
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Can you clarify this statement?
Gladly.

Facsism doesn't have to be right-wing only for Germany to have been right-wing. There could be left-wing facist countries and still a right-winged Facsist Germany.


Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 08-10-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 AM   #67
sockerbit89
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
Religion isn't evil. I can not say one thing done by man that is a work of pure evil rather than a whole lot fear, misunderstanding, hate and ignorance.

Religion wasn't made out of evil, altough there was a whole lot of ignorant dumb stuff involved.
sockerbit89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #68
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
This has been discussed before, but I believe it can't hurt to bring it up again.
Yes religion is evil corrupt and of igorance. One reason being that some people who follow it sometimes used as justification for evil acts; Rawanda is one example of that and probably the Holocuast.

Corrupt because look at the Bush
administration for example, they have ban Stem Cell research because of that damn religion called Christianity so alot of people will become death's rewards from horriable diseases and genetics aflictions.

Igorance because, look at globle warming that administration have appointed lawers to censor climatologists reports about the Northern Hemisphere becoming a freezer in about a decade(10 years) if carbon dioxide emissions don't cease by then. Yeah you know that won't happen for about what?

Another 10,000 years if people keep listening to those f**king oil companies, in which that damn administration is connected to like white on rice.

Also another example of igorance is Bush policies that is affected by Christianity. Bush actally believe that Armageddon is going to happen very soon, so his actions isn't independent of his religious beliefs.

So you can say,he is preparing the world for comming of that f**ker God by any means possible.

A Second example of the igorance of religion is, the Dark Ages in Europe women was burn at the stake because of
religion and people like early scientist was ridicule and punish because they went aganist the bible.

Religion rule most of the civilize world back then so people lived in igorance for hundrens of years, because of religion's power grasp.

With that said, we will be probably traveling the galaxy now today if it was't for religion influences back then in the past. So the world will be better off with out it.

Also there will probably be never be peace in the Middle East if religion is still the issue there about who land it is base on their RELIGIOUS suppose facts.

Last edited by SkinWalker; 08-13-2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Deleted most of quoted text: it wasn't directly relevant to the response
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #69
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
Whether or not religion is evil.. i have to wonder what the POINT of religion is. Organised religion that is.

If people want to have their own internal relationship with god, fine. I'm sure he'd like that. But why would he want people to get together in some sort of organised ceremony / structured organisation for his worship?

Its been the subject of jokes in everything from Monty Python to the Simpsons.. but why would a god CARE if you go to some building every week, or if you give moeny to said organisation, or if you sing a load of dull songs, or believe everything a guy in a dress and collar tells you to believe?

Heck, jesus spent half his time challenging the organised religion that worshiped his dad, and then that organised religion had him killed. If that isn't a lesson that you shouldn't trust organised religion, and that organised religion can stray from the path and develop incorrect beliefs then i don't know what is... their god fought them, then they had their god killed because they didn't agree with him!!



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #70
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Heck, jesus spent half his time challenging the organised religion that worshiped his dad, and then that organised religion had him killed. If that isn't a lesson that you shouldn't trust organised religion, and that organised religion can stray from the path and develop incorrect beliefs then i don't know what is... their god fought them, then they had their god killed because they didn't agree with him!!
On the topic of Jesus, he was the one who told his followers never to pray or worship in front of other people! He said to "pray in a closet." He called the Jews "hypocrites" because they loved to pray on street corners and in synagogues.

And yet Christians do the very same thing, even want prayer in public schools. Sigh.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #71
Darth Andrew
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana, U.S.A
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
On the topic of Jesus, he was the one who told his followers never to pray or worship in front of other people! He said to "pray in a closet." He called the Jews "hypocrites" because they loved to pray on street corners and in synagogues.

And yet Christians do the very same thing, even want prayer in public schools. Sigh.
Sigh.

Taken way out of context. Here's the original verse:
Quote:
Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."
Also, here's a site that helps to explain it (also where I got the verse): http://www.religioustolerance.org/prayer.htm

On organized religion, I see it that people want to not feel alone in their worship and find people who also believe in their ideas. Plus, it can help people to grow in their spirituality, where solely praying alone would feel less fulfilling and keep them "in a closet". That's how I see it, anyway.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #72
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
I don't see how that was out of context at all. That's what it says.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #73
Darth Andrew
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana, U.S.A
Posts: 943
He said to pray in a closet because most of those who were praying pubicly were doing it to show off, while he would rather have one pray in private but to fully adore him than to pray in public for the sole purpose to brag about your faith. You took it out of context because you didn't mention why Jesus said that. Of course, I may just be using "context" wrong.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 AM   #74
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Andrew
On organized religion, I see it that people want to not feel alone in their worship and find people who also believe in their ideas. Plus, it can help people to grow in their spirituality, where solely praying alone would feel less fulfilling and keep them "in a closet". That's how I see it, anyway.
Praying directly with your god is less fulfilling if there aren't other people around?
That just goes to prove that all these great feelings and raptures that people supposedly have aren't anything to do with god.. its from all getting worked up like a mob.

Surely a private, internal experience with your god would be much more personal and profound?

I completely understand why people like to get together and feel part of a group, solidarity, belonging, friendship and all that. But it seems that some people are confusing those lovely feelings with some sort of divine light.

People love to get together in all kinds of groups.. groups of friends, sports fans, quake clans, muslim extremists, etc.. and they all feel better together, feel that they aren't alone, feel that they have others like them, make friends, convince each other they are right, etc... no divine inspiration there.

Surely it should be all the poor aithiests who need to get together in groups every sunday to re-affirm their self worth and their place in the world.
Those with god in their hearts shouldn't need that kind of buzz as they already have god.... don't they?



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #75
Darth Andrew
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indiana, U.S.A
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Praying directly with your god is less fulfilling if there aren't other people around?
That just goes to prove that all these great feelings and raptures that people supposedly have aren't anything to do with god.. its from all getting worked up like a mob.
Do you literally mean as a mob? If anything, it's the exact opposite from I have known.

Anyway, organized religion can be good since it's, well, organized. Sure, some people may believe in the same deity, but they might not grow in their spiritual faith if they solely prayed alone. While in what you call a group, people can discover more about their faith through the experience of others. Besides, the world wouldn't even be able to function if everyone stayed "in a closet," so why can't religion be organized like everything else?
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 AM   #76
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Andrew
Anyway, organized religion can be good since it's, well, organized. Sure, some people may believe in the same deity, but they might not grow in their spiritual faith if they solely prayed alone. While in what you call a group, people can discover more about their faith through the experience of others. Besides, the world wouldn't even be able to function if everyone stayed "in a closet," so why can't religion be organized like everything else?
Here's the problem: "faith" is not a good thing. It is - by definition - the solid belief in something without evidence. It is illogical.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 12:56 AM   #77
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
So? If you had faith you could jump out of a window and fly then I'd back you. Same with religion, it should not matter that someone follows religion, or does not, yet it seems to be a real issue for people.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 AM   #78
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Same with religion, it should not matter that someone follows religion, or does not, yet it seems to be a real issue for people.
It becomes an issue when fundamentalist "people of faith" control all three branches of government and every armed conflict in the world as of now is driven by religious ideology.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 AM   #79
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Honestly, this topic bores me. Loaded words abound and mass generalizations about some inherent evil, blah blah. It's been done before.

Religion kills people like chocolate makes Rosie O' Donnell fat.

There is no "evil" (note the loaded word) in religion. Religion itself offers peace and faith for those wishing to find it, and salvation in some cases. Other religions offer enlightenment.

What you do with it is up to you.

Religion's been the cause of wars, true. But how convenient for religion to exist as a scapegoat (read: cause) where power and greed are the true dogs of war?

x causes b

insert one of the following for x:
religion
lust
power
greed
vengeance
desire
oil

insert one of the following for b:
war
loss
grief
suffering
pain

Fanatics are fanatics; it honestly doesn't matter what your belief is if you are a fanatic, you'll do whatever and justify it through any assortment of means (see x)

Quick checklist to see if you're a fanatic:
[]blind faith
[]blind faith
[]blind faith
[]random cause

check where applicable.

edit: @ TK - half the things in this world are illogical; it's what makes them beautiful. Don't let yourself be bound by logic. If you choose not to believe in something, then don't believe in something. Believe in disbelief.

Oh dear, did I just make you think?




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2006, 01:42 AM   #80
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Oh dear, did I just make you think?
You sir, with your current sig and avatar, will never make me think.

TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Is religion evil?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.