lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: R U a Christian?
Yes 38 51.35%
No 38 51.35%
Want be 2 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: The Christian Thread!
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Halo_92

The Christian Thread!

I'd like to know how many of you are Christian?

(Please keep it clean)

Last edited by halo92; 08-07-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Halo_92 is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Iím Agnostic. (Means I believe there could be a god, but I think most religions are crazy.)

Last edited by Nedak; 08-03-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Nedak is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

I'm a Christian.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Halo_92

thats cool
Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

I am a christian, but i dont really belive in god. So im not a true christian
Lantzen is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I'm an atheist. I do not support any form of religion.

Pho3nix is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
I am a muslim. Many Christians are oftened surprised to hear that Hazreti Isah or "The Prophet Jesus" is described in the Kuran as a great teacher/prophet. The main distinction that the Kuran makes with regards to him is that he is viewed as a teacher, not the son of God. Although Mohammed is revered as the greatest of prophets, there is no other divine aspect ascribed to him, save the fact that he was the messenger chosen to deliver God's message, via the Kuran.

As i do not pray 5 times a day or attend Friday prayer, many would describe people like me as a 'non practising muslim'. I find this description irrelevant, as - similar to the Jewish communities of the world, being Islamic is just as much about cultural identity as it is an expression of faith. Being of Turkish Cypriot heritage makes me Islamic by default, practising or not.

A word of advice to flamebaiters or preachers. Dont. Please use this thread to discuss, not harrass other members about their beliefs.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
Darth Andrew
Veteran

I'm Roman Catholic (which is obviously Christian ). Though I could be a better one.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm wonderfully athiest.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #10
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
No religious superstition for me. But I'm curious, why can we not criticize?

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #11
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zat
I am a christian, but i dont really belive in god. So im not a true christian
You are not a Christian, period.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 08-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #12
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
But I'm curious, why can we not criticize?
That's what the Senate Chambers are for.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Then why bring the topic up at all.. then put it in your sig? I say that opens it up for criticism all around. I'd argue that I'm duty bound to speak out against propaganda and poppycock whenever it rears its silly head in any serious nature.

Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
I am a muslim. Many Christians are oftened surprised to hear that Hazreti Isah or "The Prophet Jesus" is described in the Kuran as a great teacher/prophet. The main distinction that the Kuran makes with regards to him is that he is viewed as a teacher, not the son of God. Although Mohammed is revered as the greatest of prophets, there is no other divine aspect ascribed to him, save the fact that he was the messenger chosen to deliver God's message, via the Kuran.
I found that out not too long ago there was a programme where a Christian man learned about Muslims and the Muslim community. When he was told that Jesus and Abraham (I think) are described in the Kuran as prophets of the same (including the Muslim) God, he couldn't accept it, which I found extremely disturbing.
He couldn't accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshipping the same God in their own way, and this young man was affectively representing American Christians, so what does that say about his view on the other two religions?

- Halo_92

Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
Faaip De Oaid
Lurker

I was a Christian, but I have since then decided to open my eyes. Currently I'm captivated by Gnostism. Makes more sense than any organized religions.
Faaip De Oaid is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #16
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
I found that out not too long ago there was a programme where a Christian man learned about Muslims and the Muslim community. When he was told that Jesus and Abraham (I think) are described in the Kuran as prophets of the same (including the Muslim) God, he couldn't accept it, which I found extremely disturbing.
He couldn't accept that Christians, Jews and Muslims are all worshipping the same God in their own way, and this young man was affectively representing American Christians, so what does that say about his view on the other two religions?
That's pretty typical behaviour. "My religion is better than yours and the only true original one!"

Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #17
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Which is why it is so obvious that none are true. With all the hundreds or thousands of religions that have existed for man, each has a basic tenet: that *it* is the true religion and all others are false.

All cannot possibly be false.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #18
Halo_92

Oh boy, here we go..............

Last edited by halo92; 08-07-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #19
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Why not? I think it's great when people question religions in general.

And constructive discussion is always good, even with criticism.

Last edited by Pho3nix; 03-04-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

I'm with Skin on this one. What the hell is the point of a thread in a DISCUSSION board if you can't discuss the topic? Just vote yes or no? This thread fails.
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #21
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
People who belong to religious cults like to announce their piety to the world and try to "witness" their indoctrinated dogma on others, but somehow expect their superstitions to go un-criticized.

In fact, there's some fallacious taboo about criticizing and questioning the religions of others, what Daniel Dennett calls a "spell," which is cast on believers by those that indoctrinate them to begin with: their parents, pastors, emans, rabbis, etc.

This is all complete bollocks! How convenient for a religious cult to exclude inquiry and criticism as part of their dogma by making it taboo!

I'm reminded of the whole BS about the Muslims who were affronted by the cartoons of Muhammad (one of them would make a great avatar), and demanded of the rest of the world that they not be shown in publication. What nonsense! How can a single religious cult expect to enforce their internal taboos on the rest of the world? Should I give up coffee because the lady I work with is a Mormon (ain't gonna happen)? Should we expect Jews to begin bombing shops that sell pork? Should Hindus riot in the streets, burning U.S. flags because we eat beef?

The superstitions of others willing to discuss them in public are fair game for inquiry, question, criticism, skepticism, and even ridicule in the same way we would treat people willing to believe in alien abductions and remote viewing.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #22
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Religion disgusts me.

I was dragged to church since middle school, but once I started high school my parents slacked off on going, and I outright quit going. Was never interested in it. As long as people don't bother me about joining their cult, I really don't care what they do in their spare time.
swphreak is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #23
St. Jimmy

I am definately a Christian, and 'aint no-one gonna stop me.

The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
St. Jimmy is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #24
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
I'm deeply anti religion i think we've reached a point in our society where it really isnt needed, we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.

Did anyone catch the 2 part documentry 'Root of all evil?' a few months back? it was awesome and made some very good point and to be honest the religious people Dawkins spoke to where down right terrifying.

Heres the a Wiki article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_Evil%3F

Richard ' darwins bulldog' dawkins is one of my heroes.

Darth_Terros is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #25
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Terros
we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.
I agree. For example, my friend and his family are very Christian. They have scared their children so badly about hell, my friendsí sister is scared of fire, and hates the colors black, and red.
Nedak is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #26
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by han sala
I agree. For example, my friend and his family are very Christian. They have scared their children so badly about hell, my friendsí sister is scared of fire, and hates the colors black, and red.
Thats incredibly depressing you dont need to scare children into being good if your a good parent then you should be able to teach them whats right and wrong without having to resort to scare tactics.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM   #27
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Thats America though isn't it, Terros. You never get uber-Christian lunatics who teach their children that Jews and Muslims are blasphemous and you go to hell for the slightest breach of Christian law over here.
It's totally f**ked, i've gone to church of England schools my whole life and i've never met anyone whos parents are so fanatically Christian that their children are scared of fire, and the colours black and red, because that just ain't right.

- Halo_92

Old 08-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #28
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I'm deeply anti religion i think we've reached a point in our society where it really isnt needed, we dont need to be scared into being good by such childish things like hell.

Did anyone catch the 2 part documentry 'Root of all evil?' a few months back? it was awesome and made some very good point and to be honest the religious people Dawkins spoke to where down right terrifying.

Heres the a Wiki article on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Root_of_All_Evil%3F

Richard ' darwins bulldog' dawkins is one of my heroes.
Yes I watched it on Google Video, the 1st part.
I thought it was a great documentary, and there's a thread about it in the Senate Chambers forum.

Last edited by Pho3nix; 09-04-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #29
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Thats America though isn't it, Terros. You never get uber-Christian lunatics who teach their children that Jews and Muslims are blasphemous and you go to hell for the slightest breach of Christian law over here.
It's totally f**ked, i've gone to church of England schools my whole life and i've never met anyone whos parents are so fanatically Christian that their children are scared of fire, and the colours black and red, because that just ain't right.
You'd be suprised buddy, though it isnt that bad over here *mainly because we're quite a cynical bunch* it would not suprise me if in a few years it got to be.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #30
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
You'd be suprised buddy, though it isnt that bad over here *mainly because we're quite a cynical bunch* it would not suprise me if in a few years it got to be.
There was an advert for a programme on Four called Gods next army.
Thats the future of America, it's frightening frankly. Things like that is what I hate about America, their insane warped Christian beliefs.

- Halo_92

Old 08-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #31
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag

Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
i'm a christian and i'm okay with it, but sometimes i think the bishops and pope overreact too much. i mean, look at the fuss they made over the Da Vinci Code. come on, people, its just a frickin work of fiction!

Duct Tape is ALWAYS the answer
RC-1162 is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #32
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC 1162
i'm a christian and i'm okay with it, but sometimes i think the bishops and pope overreact too much. i mean, look at the fuss they made over the Da Vinci Code. come on, people, its just a frickin work of fiction!
I know! And they made a huge fuss about Harry Potter as well, some little kid becomes a wizard and Christians think it's satanic or something, have they ever seen Buffy FFS? Now thats satanic.

- Halo_92

Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #33
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

To be honest, I fing the idea that a human of 2006 can actually believe in anything to do with the miraculous side of religion, And by this, I also mean the fact that God is watching you and going to keep you in a cloud when you die, truly perplexing. I can accept that people pray to someone they created to make them feel more secure, sort of a lifeline perhaps, but not that they actually believe it exists. In the heart of hearts of the most religious man in the world, he must know that God isn't really watching him. That's just my view. Oh, and isn't it spelt Qur'an, rather than Kuran? Just a thought.
Fealiks is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #34
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
I do have a degree of faith (or perhaps a better term to use would be spirituality), but I don't practice a specific religion. I prefer to celebrate the miracle of life, as opposed to how it should be lived and who created it. Traditional religious institution doesn't sit well with me, though I have no problem with others taking part in it as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

Last edited by 90SK; 08-04-2006 at 06:53 PM.
90SK is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #35
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye
I prefer to celebrate the miracle of life,
You can celebrate life without being religious life is a great thing its amazing what nature creates i dont need to believe some higher being created the world if anything i think its more amazing that things turned out the way they did down to pure chance of us having all the right conditions for life now that is great.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #36
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Lol, is anyone here into scientology? It reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons with that Cult.

- Halo_92

Old 08-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #37
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Andrew
That's what the Senate Chambers are for.
indeed. but anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin
I'd argue that I'm duty bound to speak out against propaganda and poppycock whenever it rears its silly head in any serious nature
hehe.. Skin, just like Lynky and Nintendo, you seem to materialise in religion threads very quickly. Amazing

Is critical yet respectful discussion around religion possible here ? who knows. Lets see

@Fealiks
"Qur'an" is a poor western mimicry of the arabic word for the Holy Book. It is a terrible spelling because it is phonetically variable in pronuciation.. eg. some might read it "Cure-ran" or "Chew-ran" or "Ker-ran" etc. In Australia, I definitely can say that "Koran" is the standard Australian-English word/spelling for the Islamic Holy Book. Im not sure who still uses that exotic version you have listed. Maybe in the UK??

Being of Turkish heritage, I have spelt it in Turkish, which has a wonderfully phonetically precise alphabet. "Kuran" is our word for the book and is derived from the eski Turkce ("Old Turkish") word for the book. Old Turkish of course had arabic letters, so this word was identical to its arabic equivalent. Whether we originally used it in the form "Kur-an" Im not sure(please note that the letter "u" in Turkish without accents on top is always pronounced as "oo" so there are never any difficulties in reading/pronouncing the word) I can say though, when the modern Turkish alphabet was introduced in the late 20s, some of the nuances of Arabic/Eski Turkce pronunciation were dropped, for political and somewhat practical reasons.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #38
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Think I'll sit this one out. Though interesting, you can vote multiple options on the poll.. so you could say "yes, no and want to be" ? That has to be a goof...

I'm Catholic.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 08-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #39
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Is critical yet respectful discussion around religion possible here ? who knows. Lets see
It would be nice but it appears that many people who are "anti-religion" have decided to voice their opinion quite offensively, maybe we can try this thread again if those people grow up and try to take other peoples feelings into account.
Quote:
Im not sure who still uses that exotic version you have listed. Maybe in the UK??
Qur'an is the spelling that is used in the UK.

- Halo_92

Old 08-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #40
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Quote:
It would be nice but it appears that many people who are "anti-religion" have decided to voice their opinion quite offensively, maybe we can try this thread again if those people grow up and try to take other peoples feelings into account.
Their opinions aren't really being offensive, but are instead extremely critical of religion in general. But, those comments are in a Christian discussion thread. However, there is a thread that is critical of religion.
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > The Cantina > The Christian Thread!