lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The future of the U.S. military
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy The future of the U.S. military

I found this webpage today at 2:50pm-3:03pm when I was searching the internet.

It seem to show some interesting future interests of the US military and the rest of the world militaries.

For the people who don't understand what the topic is about, it is about the US and NATO militaries possible interest in forming space forces by 2010 or 2020

You know like starfleets, well thats one of the articles I found on the site.

That article is title "Waiting for starfleets".

I don't see 2010 as goal anymore maybe 2040 in my opinion.

link to the webpage http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/

Last edited by windu6; 09-19-2006 at 04:17 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Halo_92

I don't get it.
not trying to mean but
Whats the topic?
Halo_92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Windu Chi
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_92
I don't get it.
not trying to mean but
Whats the topic?
If you are interested explore the links on the webpage and see what interest you about the future of the US and world militaries in general.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Halo_92

i really don't care even thou my dad serves for this facsist/liberal country
Halo_92 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
No apparent discussion topic. Thread closed.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Meh. The more I look over the site linked, the more I see some possibility of discussion. I'll open the topic back up. I wish the OP would have given a better bone for us to chew on, however.

Though let me offer a warning: let this thread not become the flame-fest the OP's recent threads in the Swamp became. This is not the place for that sort of behavior. I'll deleted any spam or frivolous posts and send PM warnings to members that flame with carbon-copies to the moderators' forum

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice

Last edited by SkinWalker; 09-19-2006 at 01:22 AM.
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I personally think that even 2040 is overly optimistic for these plans as well. We can barely keep the Space Shuttle program and a single space station going without fatal catastrophe, and we sure haven't had a lot of luck launching satellites or unmanned space probes lately either. And don't even get me started on the overwhelming successes we've had with the ICBM missile defense shield technologies (A.K.A: "Star Wars" )

As long as we continue to stretch all of our military budgets and resources to the breaking point funding ground wars and occupations of unknown long-term duration and questionable outcomes, I can't see how we would ever be able to get things together to put together a space fleet of any size.

But then, if America doesn't have the resources to do it, then none of the other nations of the world will be able to either. It's not something we need to worry about taking us by surprise, anyway...

It's probably an inevitable, logical outcome for our species, though... especially once we start colonizing nearby bodies within our solar system and what appears now as national pride starts to assert itself on planetary scales, and we start to need to be able to defend ourselves from our own colonies, there will be a desperate need for such fleets.

It's just that I don't believe I will ever see such things on any major scale be built within my lifetime. I'd be very surprised if I live to see a thriving community existing on the moon, let alone Mars or any other outer planet.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Wonderful! More weapons to destroy ourselves. They just keep getting better and better. 2040 sounds pretty unrealistic to me, as edlib said it's overly optimistic.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Space colonization, with or without war, is low on my list of priorities. It's going to happen some day, but let's focus on fixing our own planet before we go out and colonize the rest of them. Get global warming under control, ban land mines globally, stop world hunger, that sort of things.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
Windu Chi
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Space colonization, with or without war, is low on my list of priorities. It's going to happen some day, but let's focus on fixing our own planet before we go out and colonize the rest of them. Get global warming under control, ban land mines globally, stop world hunger, that sort of things.
So whats your opinion on how long you belleve it might happen? Dagobahn!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Windu Chi
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
I personally think that even 2040 is overly optimistic for these plans as well. We can barely keep the Space Shuttle program and a single space station going without fatal catastrophe, and we sure haven't had a lot of luck launching satellites or unmanned space probes lately either. And don't even get me started on the overwhelming successes we've had with the ICBM missile defense shield technologies (A.K.A: "Star Wars" )

As long as we continue to stretch all of our military budgets and resources to the breaking point funding ground wars and occupations of unknown long-term duration and questionable outcomes, I can't see how we would ever be able to get things together to put together a space fleet of any size.

But then, if America doesn't have the resources to do it, then none of the other nations of the world will be able to either. It's not something we need to worry about taking us by surprise, anyway...

It's probably an inevitable, logical outcome for our species, though... especially once we start colonizing nearby bodies within our solar system and what appears now as national pride starts to assert itself on planetary scales, and we start to need to be able to defend ourselves from our own colonies, there will be a desperate need for such fleets.

It's just that I don't believe I will ever see such things on any major scale be built within my lifetime. I'd be very surprised if I live to see a thriving community existing on the moon, let alone Mars or any other outer planet.
Maybe if we finally become a one world government.

We could probably can get some damn things done like fixing global warming and discovering new energy sources like fusion or antimatter reactors.

That will possibility happen if the people on this planet work together and stop being adversaries.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
That's basically what it will take... but again, I highly doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. I really HOPE that I will, but the realist in says it ain't gonna happen.

I think it's going to take the next stage in human evolution to get to that point, which seems to me would be breeding out all the worst competitive aspects of human behavior, and breeding in things like compassion and empathy.

It's also going to take the world's religions to evolve to the point where none of then see themselves as the one and only true way... the only path to salvation.

And the way things are going right now in the world, I'm a little shaky on the prospect of us all being around long enough to accomplish any of these things.

Of course, people have been saying that for thousands of years, so we might just endure...

But I hope you are right: that the entire population of the planet gets it's act together and begins to see itself as a single species, (itself on the verge of extinction by a million different ways,) and not just tiny individual tribes that believe they have more right to exist than all the others around them.

If we can just get to that point collectively as a species, then the entire universe will be our playground.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #13
Windu Chi
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
That's basically what it will take... but again, I highly doubt I'll see that in my lifetime. I really HOPE that I will, but the realist in says it ain't gonna happen.

I think it's going to take the next stage in human evolution to get to that point, which seems to me would be breeding out all the worst competitive aspects of human behavior, and breeding in things like compassion and empathy.

It's also going to take the world's religions to evolve to the point where none of then see themselves as the one and only true way... the only path to salvation.

And the way things are going right now in the world, I'm a little shaky on the prospect of us all being around long enough to accomplish any of these things.

Of course, people have been saying that for thousands of years, so we might just endure...

But I hope you are right: that the entire population of the planet gets it's act together and begins to see itself as a single species, (itself on the verge of extinction by a million different ways,) and not just tiny individual tribes that believe they have more right to exist than all the others around them.

If we can just get to that point collectively as a species, then the entire universe will be our playground.
You know before 9\11 as everyone calls it now.

I though the world was on the verge of peace but that damn war on terrorism
broke out and then the Sudan crisis.

I guest you can blame that on religion and the other on hate and religion.

Also if our species got along in the past say a couple centuries ago we will probably be exploring the universe now in my opinion.

Last edited by windu6; 09-19-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
That will possibility happen if the people on this planet work together and stop being adversaries.
It could. But developing all sorts of new weapons to destroy ourselves isn't helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2006, 11:01 PM   #15
Windu Chi
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
It could. But developing all sorts of new weapons to destroy ourselves isn't helping.
Weapons are not always bad to possess.

Pretty soon we will have to protect ourselves from comet and asteroid impacts.

The option of new weapons will become a priority, before those catastrophes
happen.

If we don't develop new weapons we will possibly be destroyed.

Last edited by windu6; 09-19-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Pretty soon we will have to protect ourselves from comet and asteroid impacts.
We've avoided any major ones for millenia. If we do need to protect ourselves, our current weaponry is sufficient. No need to spend time making more.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #17
Windu Chi
Banned

Question

Quote:
We've avoided any major ones for millenia. If we do need to protect ourselves, our current weaponry is sufficient. No need to spend time making more.
Do you actually believe there is enough energy in all the worlds nuclear weapons to destroy at least one comet moving at about 12km/s with a mass of trillions of tons.

It also depends what the asteroid for example is made of like iron, rock etc.

Those properties will determine how the mega weapon will effect the object.

Like it will determine if the asteroid absorb the energy of the weapon or be blown to pieces which of course is another danger to deal with.

Not to mention the danger of amassing all those weapons.

Also if those nuclear weapons works for one comet by deflecting it or possibly destroying it.

What about if there another comet or asteroid in the short time span of the first say 10 years or so.

I am sorry but I don't trust the effectiveness of nuclear weapons.

Last edited by windu6; 09-20-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #18
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
The odds of a cataclysmic meteor striking the Earth are so drastically small as to be almost beyond worry at the moment. Geologic records indicate that the earth has been hit by meteors large enough to potentially cause mass extinctions maybe once every 100 million years.
The last to hit was 95 million years ago. So we don't even really need to worry for ~5 million more years.

If two such meteors were to strike the Earth within 10 years we deserve to die for being the unluckiest planet in the universe.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2006, 01:03 AM   #19
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
I am sorry but I don't trust the effectiveness of nuclear weapons.
Who says nuclear weapons have to be used?

But as ET said, we won't have to worry for five million years. The descendants of everyone's descendants would have long been dust by then.

Best to focus on the present.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #20
Windu Chi
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
The odds of a cataclysmic meteor striking the Earth are so drastically small as to be almost beyond worry at the moment. Geologic records indicate that the earth has been hit by meteors large enough to potentially cause mass extinctions maybe once every 100 million years.
The last to hit was 95 million years ago. So we don't even really need to worry for ~5 million more years.

If two such meteors were to strike the Earth within 10 years we deserve to die for being the unluckiest planet in the universe.
Well I hope those statistics are completely accurate or we are f**ked.

Until they account for all the asteroids and comets in the solar system.

I will have to keep my guard up.

I will advise you do to.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 AM   #21
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
I will have to keep my guard up.

I will advise you do to.
Not to be rude, but how on Earth would that help? If a meteor is going to hit Earth and all the militaries in the world can't do a thing about it, how would people here keeping their guard up accomplish anything?

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #22
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Not to be rude, but how on Earth would that help? If a meteor is going to hit Earth and all the militaries in the world can't do a thing about it, how would people here keeping their guard up accomplish anything?
I mean be worried until the astronomers locate all the comets and asteroids.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #23
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile A new theory about gravity.

For those of you out there who is not optimistic as I about a spacefleet being in the near future say in 2020 or 2040.

I would recommend you read this book ELECTROGRAVITATION AS
A UNIFIED FIELD THEORY
it is a very interesting book about how gravity is force contain inside the Electromagnetic Field.

The link where the book can be found is http://www.electrogravity.com

You will have to sign on a yahoo account first.

If you don't have one.

Next you have to join a yahoo group to get the book.

Follow the instructions!

After all that click on files and click the link EGBook.

Then click on the link Newgrav3.zip to get the book.

Don't ask me why is it that difficult I was piss off when I had to do it.

*Warning: the book is very technical if you have the knowledge of algebra and a little of differential calculus you should grasp it well.*

Also some physics knowledge of Electromagnetic Field Theory, Quantum Physics, Dimensional Analysis and a little of Quantum Mechanics is advised.

Last edited by windu6; 09-20-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
You will have to sign on a yahoo account first.

If you don't have one.

Next you have to join a yahoo group to get the book.
*Raises eyebrow*

I don't buy it. Until other planets are colonized, space fleets are pointless. One small ship alone is very expensive. And besides, who on Earth would want to spread war to the stars? It'll be centuries most likely before we even need squadrons of ships to keep order.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
*Raises eyebrow*

I don't buy it. Until other planets are colonized, space fleets are pointless. One small ship alone is very expensive. And besides, who on Earth would want to spread war to the stars? It'll be centuries most likely before we even need squadrons of ships to keep order.
Ok!

Why do you believe, when it happen that it will be very expensive?

What small ship?

Also did you download the book?

It is free to download.

If you have read the book do you believe physicists are close to finding a unified field theory?

That discovery will open access to the stars for humankind.

There will always be wars as now and in the future.

If the mini-Ice Age happen because of globle warming that is causing glacier
melting that will in turn stop the North Atlantic current circulation.

We will be in a war over resources as a result of that catastrophe.

Last edited by windu6; 09-20-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #26
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Why do you believe, when it happen that it will be very expensive?
Of course it will.

Quote:
What small ship?
You mean what small ships. Haven't you heard of NASA? They've sent ships into space many times, and they weren't cheap.

Quote:
Also did you download the book?
No, I didn't.

Quote:
Do you believe we are close to a unified field theory?
What does the unification of all fundamental forces and elementary particles have to do with the ludicrous idea of space fleets?

Quote:
We will be in a war over resources as a result of that catastrophe.
That doesn't have anything to do with space fleets either.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #27
Windu Chi
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Of course it will.

You mean what small ships. Haven't you heard of NASA? They've sent ships into space many times, and they weren't cheap.

No, I didn't.

What does the unification of all fundamental forces and elementary particles have to do with the ludicrous idea of space fleets?

That doesn't have anything to do with space fleets either.
Of course I heard of NASA.

If we develop fusion or antimatter reactors it won't be that expensive as you put it.

Well with the unification of all fundamental forces of the universe that discovery will allow physicists and engineers to develop wormholes, a hyperspace drive and warpdrives.

That will make that "ludicrous idea of space fleets" a reality after the beginning of galactic colonization.

I was making a point with my comment that we will always have wars no matter where we go.

Maybe you should download the book to see what I mean.

Before you start becoming less optimistic about the "ludicrous idea of space fleets".

It will tell you what the unification of all the forces will allow us to do.

If you are interested about it, of course.

Last edited by windu6; 09-20-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #28
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

This is too amusing. I can't believe I'm actually debating the creation of fleets in space this century.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #29
Windu Chi
Banned

Quote:
This is too amusing. I can't believe I'm actually debating the creation of fleets in space this century.
Can you take it seriously.

Because the military is taking it seriously.

It is not a joke.

Also it is about damn time we have these type of discussions and don't shy away from these discussions.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #30
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
If we develop fusion or antimatter reactors it won't be that expensive as you put it.
Unless it costs quite a bit to construct anti-matter reactors. Just because we develop something doesn't mean it becomes instantly inexpensive; take for instance the nasa space shuttles we've had for fourty years.

Quote:
Well with the unification of all fundamental forces of the universe that discovery will allow physicists and engineers to develop wormholes, a hyperspace drive and warpdrives.
You mean the fundamental forces that Stephen Hawking helped discover? I very much doubt, though, that they'll use such things like "warpdrives" and "hyperspace drives." Afterall, those things are just mere creations of sci-fi television.

Quote:
That will make that "ludicrous idea of space fleets" a reality after the beginning of galactic colonization.
We still have a ways to go. If history is any indication, there are the baby steps of planetary colonization and efficient sub-solar transportation: there's quite a leap from Earth to the next solar system.

And as an aside, could you please try and form your thoughts into coherent thoughts? Single-sentence remarks are rather annoying to try and read, let alone discuss.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #31
Windu Chi
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Unless it costs quite a bit to construct anti-matter reactors. Just because we develop something doesn't mean it becomes instantly inexpensive; take for instance the nasa space shuttles we've had for fourty years.

You mean the fundamental forces that Stephen Hawking helped discover? I very much doubt, though, that they'll use such things like "warpdrives" and "hyperspace drives." Afterall, those things are just mere creations of sci-fi television.

We still have a ways to go. If history is any indication, there are the baby steps of planetary colonization and efficient sub-solar transportation: there's quite a leap from Earth to the next solar system.

And as an aside, could you please try and form your thoughts into coherent thoughts? Single-sentence remarks are rather annoying to try and read, let alone discuss.

What the hell are you talking about, Steven Hawking only help explain the physics of Blackholes and theroize that blackholes emit radiation.
By giving proof that blackholes don't destroy the information it absorbs.
Also he contribute to the cosmology of the Big Bang Theory.
Steven Hawking did not help discover the Standard Model of particle physics.
You do know he is a cosmologist and a theorectical physictist?
He did'nt help discover any of the fundamental forces of the universe.

The concept of warpdrive may be a concept of science fiction.
But thanks to a Quantum physictist named Miguel Alcubierre physicists are taking warpdrive seriously now.
Also hyperspace is not just a concept of science fiction.
Physictists are taking the concept of hyperspace seriously now.
Hyperspce is similar to the warpdrive concept.

Last edited by windu6; 09-20-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 AM   #32
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
What the hell are you talking about, Steven Hawking only help explain Blackholes and theroize that blackholes emit radiation.
By giving proof that blackhole don't destroy the information it absorb.
Also he contribute to the cosmology of the Big Bang Theory.
Steven Hawking did not help discover the Standard Model of particle physics.
You do know he is a cosmologist and a theorectical physictist?
He did'nt help discover any of the fundamental forces of the universe.
Blackholes are related in concept to wormholes, as they both deal with the bending/manipulation of the universe. Quantum physics, which Hawking worked on, clearly is one of the key sciences needed to go much faster than we currently can now. As the wikipedia entry states, some of his research contributed to the theory of General Relativity- again, another necessary science for space travel.

So while his works are indeed theoretical, they would still ultimately contribute to whatever mechanical marvels will launch us into deep space.

Quote:
The concept of warpdrive may be a concept of science fiction.
But thanks to a Quantum physictist named Miguel Alcubierre physicists are taking warpdrive seriously now.
Also hyperspace is not just a concept of fiction.
Physictist are taking the concept of hyperspace seriously now.
Hyperspce is similar to the warpdrive concept.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Largely theoretical as of right now. Hyperspace and warpdrives are more than theoretical at this point, too. It makes for very nice conversational talk, but they still have lots of work to go through.

(By the way, you're still not forming coherent thoughts: all you did was take your single sentences and mushed them together.)

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #33
Windu Chi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Blackholes are related in concept to wormholes, as they both deal with the bending/manipulation of the universe. Quantum physics, which Hawking worked on, clearly is one of the key sciences needed to go much faster than we currently can now. As the wikipedia entry states, some of his research contributed to the theory of General Relativity- again, another necessary science for space travel.

So while his works are indeed theoretical, they would still ultimately contribute to whatever mechanical marvels will launch us into deep space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Largely theoretical as of right now. Hyperspace and warpdrives are more than theoretical at this point, too. It makes for very nice conversational talk, but they still have lots of work to go through.

(By the way, you're still not forming coherent thoughts: all you did was take your single sentences and mushed them together.)

Actualy it was his merger of General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory
that lead to his discovery of Blackhole Radiation.
If want to see his paper, Miguel Alcubierre go here http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0009013.
Also, Tyrion Kip S.Thorne contribute to wormhole physics.

Last edited by windu6; 09-21-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #34
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Because the military is taking it seriously.

It is not a joke.

And they'll be formed in four to fourteen years?

Quote:
Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #35
Windu Chi
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:

And they'll be formed in four to fourteen years?
Who said four to fourteen years?
Oh forget it! You still think it is a joke.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:30 AM   #36
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Quote:
Who said four to fourteen years?
Quote:
the US and NATO militaries possible interest in forming space forces by 2010 or 2020
2006 + 4 = 2010. 2006 + 14 = 2020.

Quote:
Oh forget it! You still think it is a joke.
Either way I don't believe it.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 AM   #37
Windu Chi
Banned

Smile

Quote:
2006 + 4 = 2010. 2006 + 14 = 2020.

Either way I don't believe it.
Of course those dates are'nt reasonable
no more because sh**t happens.

Well ok that's your belief Devon.

Also I still recommend you download the NewGrav3.zip book it is a interesting book.

Unless, the book is to technical for your taste!

Last edited by windu6; 09-21-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #38
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I don't think the military will do it. I think big business will do it, as long as they can see and earn a profit. I don't think it'll happen for quite a few years, however. There's just too much to learn yet. We're still trying to figure out the effects of extended stays (more than a couple months) in space on the human body, among many other things.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #39
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Scandinavian Science Illustrated ran two interesting articles some issues away from each others. One was about mining of uninhabited moons and asteroids by means of mining robots, one was about the problems bound to result from the fact that there can be no sovereignity, ownership, or even laws away from Earth. So in effect, if mining becomes large-scale (by means of unmanned robots), we can expect hostilities to occur unless laws, agreements, and treaties are changed.

Funny how no one makes movies about that. It's a thousand times more likely than UFOs invading Earth. Oh well.

Quote:
Empire Earth had an expansion pack with a campaign enacting just that scenario.

Man colonizes Mars, a union of Asian nations ("UFAR", or the "United Federation of Asian Republics") drives every other nation off Mars, making Mars a territory of UFAR; the UFAR government on Earth treats the colony unfairly; The colony rebels and declares sovereignity; A fight erupts between Earth (including its Lunar colony) and Mars; Mars wins, becoming an independent nation.

If the campaign isn't inspired by the events that brought about the birth of the USA, I'll eat my blaster pistol.

Bottom line: While Windu seems to want star fleets just for the sake of coolness of star fleets, the rest of us really do not see a need. There are no UFOs about, there's no war going on down on Earth that requires space superiority, and we wouldn't need whole fleets of warships to intercept asteroids (and according to astronomers, we still have 400 years before we'll intersect the course of a large object that's maybe going to collide with us).

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 09-26-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #40
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
So in effect, if mining becomes large-scale (by means of unmanned robots), we can expect hostilities to occur unless laws, agreements, and treaties are changed.

Funny how no one makes movies about that. It's a thousand times more likely than UFOs invading Earth. Oh well.
If lawmaking were as sexy as UFOs invading the Earth, we'd all be glued to C-Span.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > The future of the U.S. military