lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Abstinence
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Abstinence

From the pet peeve thread in Ahto, the abstinence thread is now born...

So, are you all for or against it?

I'm for abstinence. To give some opening statments, I think sex before marriage is disgusting behavior. It increases chances of STDs when people have it with one than one partner, causes teen pregnancy, and can take away a very happy memory on wedding day.

It's kind of amusing to be debating this topic when your username has doctor in it, Doc.

Thoughts?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Abstinence has a high failure rate.

Besides, if a couple pledges abstinence, they just have oral or even... gasp... anal... sex instead. There are loopholes. Two to be exact.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
St. Jimmy
Registered User
 
St. Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Streets of shame
Posts: 1,461
I agree with ED and pretty much for the same reasons too. People will say "oh what if they're going to get married anyway?!" Is it really that hard to wait? It's not like you've got engaged to get married in five years. (If you have,... then it sucks to be you! ) But, yeah, I agree with Devon.




The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no.
St. Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I don't believe in marriage so I don't see a reason to abstain from sex.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #5
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Abstinence, not in this year, or ever really. Kids will **** other kids, kids have been ****ing other kids since the beginning of time. Even if you tell kids not to **** each other they will still **** each other. The only thing you can do if you have kids who are ****ing other kids, and getting ****ed in return, is educate them about safe ****ing, so they don't get an STD or a ****ing baby.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
I don't believe in marriage
Hm. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
There are loopholes. Two to be exact.
If a couple is actually looking for loopholes, I don't see why they would decide upon abstinence in the first place.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
Abstinence, not in this year, or ever really. Kids will **** other kids, kids have been ****ing other kids since the beginning of time. Even if you tell kids not to **** each other they will still **** each other. The only thing you can do if you have kids who are ****ing other kids, and getting ****ed in return, is educate them about safe ****ing, so they don't get an STD or a ****ing baby.
****ing agreed.

To suggest that kids just stop ****ing is unnatural. I would call abstinence a perversion. The natural state of humans, like all animals, is to **** like rabbits.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I would call abstinence a perversion.
And I would call whores, sex trafficking, STDs, porn videos and sex parties a perversion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
And I would call whores, sex trafficking, STDs, porn videos and sex parties a perversion.
I'm not cheering those things on, but they are surely more natural than abstinence. Prostitution is the oldest industry. Porn and casual sex, etc. is exactly what god natural selection ordered.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
And I would call whores, sex trafficking, STDs, porn videos and sex parties a perversion.
And Wonderfully enough a personal choice.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
It's kind of amusing to be debating this topic when your username has doctor in it, Doc.
Oh be quiet you.

It depends on the situation.

Pre-marital sex with someone you've just met and will most likely not see again in your life (some people refer to this situation as a 'one night stand') is stupid. Casual, meaningless sex is for monkeys, squirrels, and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Jimmy
People will say "oh what if they're going to get married anyway?!" Is it really that hard to wait?
If you've found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, why wait? What's the point? If you practise safe sex, and intend to get married anyway, then there's no point in waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Jimmy
It's not like you've got engaged to get married in five years. (If you have,... then it sucks to be you! )
Actually, it is like that in some cases. My girlfriend and I intend to get married once we're both done school. It's a recent decision, but one we both feel comfortable with. It may not be in five years - it may be closer to ten - but the fact remains. And you could only be so lucky to be in my place. Finding the one person you want to spend the rest of your lives with at such a young age doesn't happen very often.

And before anyone starts with the 'you're young, you don't understand love yet' bull ****, I'm going to say this: I've heard it all before. So save us all some time here and shut te **** up. I've heard the speeches. I've heard the thinly velied 'you're too much of an immautre dumb**** to understand love' comments. They piss me off. Teenagers are just as capable as knowing love as people who are 20+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
I don't believe in marriage so I don't see a reason to abstain from sex.
Let me guess: your parents divorced when you were a child, didn't they? Or have you yourself been through a divorce? If I'm way off base, then let me know, but in my experience, the people who don't believe in marriage are the people who've seen the worst examples of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
And I would call whores, sex trafficking, STDs, porn videos and sex parties a perversion.
That's one thing I can agree on. But pre-marital sex doesn't always lead to this stuff. Only when it occurs between two stupid people do these things arise.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
they are surely more natural than abstinence. Prostitution is the oldest industry.
And what is so wonderful about being natural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
And Wonderfully enough a personal choice.
Smoking is a personal choice. Hitting small children is a personal choice. Killing yourself is a personal choice. How does that matter?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #13
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Let me guess: your parents divorced when you were a child, didn't they? Or have you yourself been through a divorce? If I'm way off base, then let me know, but in my experience, the people who don't believe in marriage are the people who've seen the worst examples of it.
You can keep the Freudian bull**** to yourself kthx. I don't believe in marriage because I don't believe in religion nor the myth that marriage somehow constitutes the epitome of love. I also believe that humans are not naturally monogamous and that two people can only be together for so long before they get bored with one another or pissed at each other. I'm also a cynical bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Smoking is a personal choice. Hitting small children is a personal choice. Killing yourself is a personal choice. How does that matter?
Hitting kids hurts others (revelations ITT), as does suicide. Sex does not, and neither does smoking for that matter.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've been abstinate for 10 years now, and it's the right choice for me. I don't look down on people who aren't, unless they try to convince me that I'm not "normal" because I am.

I don't look down on people who are sexually active out of wedlock because, as TK said, it's perfectly natural. I was once that way, but nothing good came out of it (it made me feel cheap), so I quit.

I just decided I'd wait for Ms. Right to come along, and I'm just not content with Ms. Right Now.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
And what is so wonderful about being natural?
Sex is as natural as breathing. Since breathing can be very dangerous - such as when a chemical is in the air - does that mean that we should refrain from breathing? Of course not. We'd die. Refraining from sex won't kill you, yeah, but it sure can frustrate some people to the point that they do crazy ****, like rape and murder and ****. No not all people not having sex are crazy but you never see guys from the Middle East blowing themselves up because they're getting so much sex all the time. They want virgins in heaven, because they ain't gettin' any on Earth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Smoking is a personal choice. Hitting small children is a personal choice. Killing yourself is a personal choice. How does that matter?
If you want to smoke, I say fine. But I have no drive in my mind towards smoking, like people are driven to have sex by their hormones. Hitting children is not a personal choice, because it involves another person (the child). If you want to kill yourself, I say to do what you must. Not my choice to make for you.

Etc.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Smoking is a personal choice. Hitting small children is a personal choice. Killing yourself is a personal choice. How does that matter?
Except for hitting small children (If it's your kid and it breaks the rules belting it once is perfectly acceptable) these lifestyle choices are completely okay. Smoking, and killing yourself only affect you. These are victimless crimes and should not be punished.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
You can keep the Freudian bull**** to yourself kthx. I don't believe in marriage because I don't believe in religion nor the myth that marriage somehow constitutes the epitome of love. I also believe that humans are not naturally monogamous and that two people can only be together for so long before they get bored with one another or pissed at each other. I'm also a cynical bastard.
You're right, marriage is not the epitome of love. Marriage is an act of love, not a state of love. The epitome of love is the love of God, but let's not make this a religious thing.

You (I'm too lazy to find out exactly who at the moment) say that sex is a natural thing. So is murder. Back before the civilised age - indeed, even before the rise of Homo Sapiens, going back as far as the earliest mamalian life - and even with the lower life forms today, males regularly murder each other for dominance or a mate.

I'm sorry, but child abuse is a personal choice. A child has no say in whether you beat them or not. You decide to do it. It's your choice.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Casual, meaningless sex is for monkeys, squirrels, and the like.
Glad to see some sense here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
What's the point?
People can decide not to get married despite becoming engaged. I've seen it before. Waiting to have sex until marriage is a form of commitment, and can make your wedding an even more enjoyable day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
f you've found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, why wait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Actually, it is like that in some cases. My girlfriend and I intend to get married once we're both done school.
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
It's a recent decision, but one we both feel comfortable with.
If your decision is a serious one you're going to follow through on, then the best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Teenagers are just as capable as knowing love as people who are 20+.
I agree, though their brains have not fully developed yet, especially in areas related to long-term thinking. No, I'm not prejudiced about it, that's a simple biological fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
If you want to smoke, I say fine. {snip}
That was an example. My point is how is the fact that some things are personal choices matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Sex is as natural as breathing. {snip}
Doesn't explain why some people would decide against it, but again, what is so wonderful about the fact that it's natural? Deoderant isn't natural, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
belting it once is perfectly acceptable
Debatable, but for a different topic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #19
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
You're right, marriage is not the epitome of love. Marriage is an act of love, not a state of love. The epitome of love is the love of God, but let's not make this a religious thing.
It can be an act of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
I'm sorry, but child abuse is a personal choice. A child has no say in whether you beat them or not. You decide to do it. It's your choice.
If you're comparing the "personal" choice that is child abuse with the personal choice that is having sex... you're not doing it right. You're also neglecting the matter of legality and what what the other person feels. Beating the **** out of a someone makes them feel... bloodied and abused and is also illegal-making love to someone (should) make them feel good, and it is also perfectly legal.

This whole personal choice thing is kind of going off topic though...



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
It can be an act of love.
Poor wording on my part. My apologies.

~~~

Quote:
If you're comparing the "personal" choice that is child abuse with the personal choice that is having sex... you're not doing it right. You're also neglecting the matter of legality and what what the other person feels. Beating the **** out of a someone makes them feel... bloodied and abused and is also illegal-making love to someone (should) make them feel good, and it is also perfectly legal.
I was actually comparing the personal choice to commit the act, ignoring the legalities. I wasn't saying that they were on the same level. Not by a long shot. I was merely contradicting the statement that
Quote:
Hitting children is not a personal choice, because it involves another person (the child).
As far as I know, sex also involves another person. So by this individual's logic, sex isn't a personal choice either, which pretty much contradicts his own argument. Most likely poor wording on his part, but something I felt compelled to argue, just in case.

~~~

Quote:
This whole personal choice thing is kind of going off topic though...
Actually, it's not, really. That's really what Abstinence boils down to. I can almost garauntee you that nothing I say will convince you to refrain from participating in pre-marital sex, correct? It's your... wait for it... personal choice.

EDIT: That last bit wasn't mean to sound condescending, I assure you. Reading it again myself, it kind of comes across that way, doesn't it? It wasn't supposed to.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #21
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
As far as I know, sex also involves another person. So by this individual's logic, sex isn't a personal choice either, which pretty much contradicts his own argument.
If the other person wants to ****, then it's perfectly alright. We're not talking about forcing yourself on anybody, we're talking about two (or the more the merrier) engaging in a consenting act.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 PM   #22
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]
 
milo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chora's Den.
Posts: 2,039
I'm with the Doctor on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Pre-marital sex with someone you've just met and will most likely not see again in your life (some people refer to this situation as a 'one night stand') is stupid. Casual, meaningless sex is for monkeys, squirrels, and the like.
QFE. I'm not for abstinence, but getting wasted Saturday night and ****ing 5 different people is just stupid.

I'm not going to wait for marriage to have sex, but that doesn't mean I'll do it with just anybody. I want to wait to do that with my girlfriend, or fiancee. Just in case that person does get pregnant, I'd want to be sure that it's someone I'd want to be with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
It increases chances of STDs when people have it with one than one partner
So do it with a virgin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
causes teen pregnancy
Hey, if you use a condom + the pill/sponge/whatever, chances of pregnancy are very slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
and can take away a very happy memory on wedding day.
Your first time actually isn't all that great. More like awkward and even painful sometimes. Why not practice a bit before you're married? Then your honeymoon could ****-tacular.
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:52 PM   #23
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(.)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
I was actually comparing the personal choice to commit the act, ignoring the legalities. I wasn't saying that they were on the same level. Not by a long shot. I was merely contradicting the statement that As far as I know, sex also involves another person. So by this individual's logic, sex isn't a personal choice either, which pretty much contradicts his own argument. Most likely poor wording on his part, but something I felt compelled to argue, just in case.

~~~


Actually, it's not, really. That's really what Abstinence boils down to. I can almost garauntee you that nothing I say will convince you to refrain from participating in pre-marital sex, correct? It's your... wait for it... personal choice.

EDIT: That last bit wasn't mean to sound condescending, I assure you. Reading it again myself, it kind of comes across that way, doesn't it? It wasn't supposed to.
I edited another of my posts to address the child abuse/personal choice thing. As for the personal choice thing being off-topic, I was referring to the whole bit about child abuse and smoking and whatever else.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #24
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milojmiles
So do it with a virgin.
Just because you're a virgin doesn't mean you don't have an STD. Some STDs are passed down through genetics.

Quote:
Your first time actually isn't all that great. More like awkward and even painful sometimes. Why not practice a bit before you're married? Then your honeymoon could ****-tacular.
****-tacular. That's awsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
As for the personal choice thing being off-topic, I was referring to the whole bit about child abuse and smoking and whatever else.
Ah. Then you're right, that little bit is a little off topic, yes.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #25
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]
 
milo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chora's Den.
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Sex is as natural as breathing. Since breathing can be very dangerous - such as when a chemical is in the air - does that mean that we should refrain from breathing?
Lawl. Yeah, sex is natural. So are hairy legs, armpits, and genitals, but that doesn't turn me on. My dog took a **** in the front yard today. That's natural. Why do we use indoor plumbing? Why not do what's natural? Why do we wear clothes? Why do we eat food that has been prepared unnaturally? Why not eat raw meat? That's natural.

Just because something is "natural", doesn't necessarily mean it's something you ought to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Just because you're a virgin doesn't mean you don't have an STD. Some STDs are passed down through genetics.
I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
****-tacular. That's awsome.
Thankyaveramuch. [/Elvis]
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #26
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by milojmiles
Lawl. Yeah, sex is natural. So are hairy legs, armpits, and genitals, but that doesn't turn me on. My dog took a **** in the front yard today. That's natural. Why do we use indoor plumbing? Why not do what's natural? Why do we wear clothes? Why do we eat food that has been prepared unnaturally? Why not eat raw meat? That's natural.
I have no hormonally-driven urge to walk around naked and eat raw meat.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #27
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milojmiles
I'm not going to wait for marriage to have sex, but that doesn't mean I'll do it with just anybody.
Thats where preferences, reason, and self ownership come into play. Most people will not **** someone that they deeply hate, or are not a wee bit attracted to. Just because you choose not to abstain doesn't meen you'll run around ****ing anything that will have you (I know I don't). If you do make the choice not to abstain, you'd better be prepared to accept responsibility for your actions.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #28
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221
If you do make the choice not to abstain, you'd better be prepared to accept responsibility for your actions.
QFE

There can be a lot of negative fallout from indiscriminately ****ing around, so think before you act.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #29
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]
 
milo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chora's Den.
Posts: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I have no hormonally-driven urge to walk around naked and eat raw meat.
Fine then. I'll use a different example.

Think of someone who really irritates you. Every day, they're grating on your nerves. Then one day, they do something that crosses the line, and you get extremely pissed. You suddenly have a very strong urge to beat the living hell out of them. It's natural to feel this way. You're Does that mean you should go ahead and beat them to a pulp?
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 01:10 AM   #30
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by milojmiles
Fine then. I'll use a different example.

Think of someone who really irritates you. Every day, they're grating on your nerves. Then one day, they do something that crosses the line, and you get extremely pissed. You suddenly have a very strong urge to beat the living hell out of them. It's natural to feel this way. You're Does that mean you should go ahead and beat them to a pulp?
If I could get a fair fight with him, and think I would win, damn right I would. Although no one pisses me off to that point. I'm not much of a hater. But having casual sex isn't exactly the same as beating the **** out of someone without their consent.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #31
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
I understand sex to be healthy, if not morally then with a partner you know is clean medically. Isn't it meant to do things such as reduce stress levels? Besides which if sex with someone else is unappealing then there's other ways to, y'know, release the pressure. It might not be something a Jedi would do exactly, but sometimes you have to ask what is.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 AM   #32
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Just because you're a virgin doesn't mean you don't have an STD. Some STDs are passed down through genetics.
Jae's in retentive fix-any-medical-misunderstandings mode....
I'm unaware of any STDs that are passed through genetics and if there is one, I'll be learning something new today, too.
Now, you can get an STD at birth due to body fluid transfer or contact--e.g. HIV or active herpes, which is why women with HIV or who have an active outbreak of herpes usually have c-sections--less risk of the baby contracting the diseases.

However, birth-related STD transfer and genetics are 2 different things.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 02:16 AM   #33
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Hm. I thought someone who'd had kids might have an opinion on this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 AM   #34
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah. I figured I'd leave the commentary on that error to someone more qualified.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #35
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,255
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
So, are you all for or against it?
So, why is this important? If someone decides not to have premarriage sex, why shouldn't he/she do so? I'm completely fine with it. Same with the opposite too, of course.

I'm not against abstinence, why should I. Just because I have/had sex before I get married (if ever), doesn't mean I walk around and do it every second of my life without ever doing or thinking something else. It doesn't mean I'm not choosy about the girls I have sex with or that there aren't times without any sexual contacts at all. And where is it written, that if I kiss someone, or go more or less intimate, I have to dig the lurve vulcano too? That, plus abstinence doesn't mean virginity. One can live in abstinence although he/she had sex before and will have sex again.

Quote:
... I think sex before marriage is disgusting behavior.
No, it simply is not. Because I heard sex came loooong before marriage or even humans started captivating this planet with their very existence.

Quote:
It increases chances of STDs when people have it with one than one partner
Yes, but so does becoming a doctor, using a public toilet, getting blood transfusions. What is a STD anyway? This is a stupidly hyped term, a catchphrase, propaganda, plain and simple. "STD" does not mean "worse than any other desease", and most deseases are "sexually transferable" anyway, even the common flu. And AIDS or HIV, for instance, is something you can easily get with someone elses blood - no sex needed.

Quote:
.. causes teen pregnancy
I doubt that I'll cause teen pregnancy, because I rarely have sex with teenagers. Also, does this teen pregnancy argument imply that abstinence is something only for teens?

Quote:
and can take away a very happy memory on wedding day.
I guess the "very happy memory" you're talking about is defloration? Does this imply, that if I ever get married, I'll have no happy wedding day memory? Or that I don't have good memories regarding my own defloration? Oh no.

I'm very "happy" that I had my first sex with that girl back then, and I would not want to change this. But let me assure you one thing..

Gawd, I am sooo thousand times more happy with the thought and fact that I actually did not marry her.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #36
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,255
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by milojmiles
Lawl. Yeah, sex is natural. So are hairy legs, armpits, and genitals, but that doesn't turn me on.
These are all things which are down to personal taste. And if you're going to ****, then don't lie to me and tell me the vagina where you just stuck your penis in doesn't turn you on. HA!

Quote:
My dog took a **** in the front yard today. That's natural. Why do we use indoor plumbing?
Sanitary reasons. Lessons we might have learned in the Dark Ages?

Quote:
Why not do what's natural? Why do we wear clothes?
To adapt weather/climate? Protect our bodies? Our fur is gone for a long long time now, y'know? And at this point humans began to wear clothes. Cool, huh?

Quote:
Why do we eat food that has been prepared unnaturally? Why not eat raw meat? That's natural.
We eat "prepared" food (cooked/fried/grilled meat, etc) since long before our fur went *poof*. It's easier to digest, healthier, and thus the human species could resort to a much more spread range of food, e.g. vegetables which yould be otherwise uneatable.



Last edited by Ray Jones; 09-28-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #37
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Hm. I thought someone who'd had kids might have an opinion on this.

I do. But at later than 1am and another 10 pages to go on that **** report (made it to page 16 last night, not including endnotes), I'm deferring my opinion til I have more time to a. sleep and be coherent and b. have time to type it in. I do feel the need to do medical rumor control right away, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Yes, but so does becoming a doctor, using a public toilet, getting blood transfusions.
Getting STDs from public toilets is a misconception.
The risk of HIV and hepatitis from receiving blood transfusions is much lower now since there's now routine testing of the blood supply. Being a doctor (or any other health professional) doesn't make one more at risk for STDs--we're not having sex with our patients, after all, and we all follow the mantra 'If its wet and sticky and doesn't belong to you, don't touch it.' Obviously if one works in a higher risk setting like ER, OB, and OR, one needs to take more protections, but the risk of patient-to-professional transfer of STDs is extremely low.
STDs are different from colds and flus because they're transmitted primarily by sexual contact rather than other routes. Yeah, you can theoretically get the flu from sex, but you're going to be exposed to the virus in droplets in the air long before you get down and dirty.

Edit: and it's dumb for this to annoy me so much, but it does. 'Dark Ages' is no longer used as a term, at least in the history/academic circles. 'Medieval period' and 'Middle Ages' are the correct terms for referring to that time period that runs from roughly the fall of Rome to the Renaissance.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 10:02 AM   #38
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,255
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Getting STDs from public toilets is a misconception.
No, it is not. In fact it is a possible way to get those "STDs".

Quote:
The risk of HIV and hepatitis from receiving blood transfusions is much lower now since there's now routine testing of the blood supply. Being a doctor (or any other health professional) doesn't make one more at risk for STDs--we're not having sex with our patients, after all, and we all follow the mantra 'If its wet and sticky and doesn't belong to you, don't touch it.' Obviously if one works in a higher risk setting like ER, OB, and OR, one needs to take more protections, but the risk of patient-to-professional transfer of STDs is extremely low.
And likewise, if you're going to take the higher risk of getting STDs by having sex, one needs to take more protections too. And I wouldn't see the risk as extremely low, because after all, the "sexual transfer" is all about "contact with bodily fluids", nothing more. If you're armdeep into someone elses fluids, you're taking the same risk.

Quote:
STDs are different from colds and flus because they're transmitted primarily by sexual contact rather than other routes. Yeah, you can theoretically get the flu from sex, but you're going to be exposed to the virus in droplets in the air long before you get down and dirty.
And practically you will be exposed to the virus at a much higher level and more viruses means more action for the immune system. Actually resulting in a higher chance for the flu to catch you. That, plus see above.

Quote:
'Dark Ages' is no longer used as a term, at least in the history/academic circles. 'Medieval period' and 'Middle Ages' are the correct terms for referring to that time period that runs from roughly the fall of Rome to the Renaissance.
Mediaeval times, yap. I was going for that one too, but my online dictionary suggested D.A. too, so I thought "aahh, what the.. why bother?" .. Now I know why.. ;~~~~


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #39
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Jae's in retentive fix-any-medical-misunderstandings mode....
I'm unaware of any STDs that are passed through genetics and if there is one, I'll be learning something new today, too.
Now, you can get an STD at birth due to body fluid transfer or contact--e.g. HIV or active herpes, which is why women with HIV or who have an active outbreak of herpes usually have c-sections--less risk of the baby contracting the diseases.

However, birth-related STD transfer and genetics are 2 different things.
See, that's my ignorance showing. Also a poor choice of words on my part - again. My turn to learn something knew.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #40
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
So, why is this important?
I'm wondering people's opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
No, it simply is not. Because I heard sex came loooong before marriage
Those were disgusting enough days by modern standards, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Yes,
Glad you agree. The fact that not choosing abstinence can increase the chances of getting a sexually transmitted disease is difficult to deny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I doubt that I'll cause teen pregnancy, because I rarely have sex with teenagers.
Good, but they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Also, does this teen pregnancy argument imply that abstinence is something only for teens?
No, it's simply another positive effect of abstaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
I guess the "very happy memory" you're talking about is defloration?
I have heard sex is enjoyable. And as most people will lose their virginity whether they choose abstinence or not, that lends no credit to your arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Does this imply, that if I ever get married, I'll have no happy wedding day memory?
I have not and will not say that. Call it icing on the cake, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Gawd, I am sooo thousand times more happy with the thought and fact that I actually did not marry her.
I have not advocated marrying people for sex.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Abstinence

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.