lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Abstinence
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-01-2006, 12:16 AM   #81
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
I wouldn't have used 'stinks' to describe it, and I have no diseases or children to show for it. Perhaps because Iwasn't foolish about it...
Teens can avoid pregnancy when they have sex, like adults. However, you cannot deny that many of them are foolish about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
"I want to know what members of this forum community I can look down upon because I have such better morality than they do." ?
No, I just enjoy debating and am making an emotional appeal in my arguments.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #82
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
No, they bloody aren't. This is why teenagers aren't allowed to vote or buy booze.

Look dude, no offence, but this is something that maturity really does affect. I've read your posts in the KotOR forums, so I know that you are a reasonably intelligent, thoughtful and articulate human being who deserves respect on his own merits, but the fact is that you (being 16) are still a work in progress. The "you" that's reading this is an entirely different "you" that will peer back from the mirror in 5-10 years. Your body is not yet fully developed, your brain is not yet fully developed, therefore your mind is not yet fully developed. I'm sorry to say that this simply isn't something you can appreciate until you've lived through it. Write this down and read it to yourself in 10 years: You'll be saying; "Damn, that opinionated prick Mace MacLeod was right after all!"
I said save the ****ing speaches. I've heard them before, and you're just plain wrong. I know there's nothing I can say to convince you that you're wrong, but I assure you, you are.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #83
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
*Throws rock at DE*
Shi-- Close one.
You do realize I was joking, right?

Quote:
I want to know what members of this forum community I can look down upon because I have such better morality than they do.
[Raises hand].

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #84
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
*shrug* Like I said Doctor, write this thread down and read it to yourself in 10 years. Maybe you forgot that I've been 16 before.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #85
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
You do realize I was joking, right?.
Which is why I'm throwing rocks and not hand grenades.


Quote:
Teens can avoid pregnancy when they have sex, like adults. However, you cannot deny that many of them are foolish about it.
And most of them are foolish because they aren't given the proper education about it.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM   #86
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
And most of them are foolish because they aren't given the proper education about it.
And I doubt we'll every get through to a good number of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #87
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
*shrug* Like I said Doctor, write this thread down and read it to yourself in 10 years. Maybe you forgot that I've been 16 before.
Just because you weren't mature enough at 16 doesn't mean that others can't be.

EDIT: Just so I don't sound like a completely arrogant son of a bitch, I admit that Mace is not entirely wrong - I'm not saying that all teens understand love, I'm merely saying that some are capable of it. We're not all as immature as people seem to think sometimes, and I hate being generalised. I hate it when people try to drop me into a stereotype. It really pisses me off.

Something else I feel compelled to mention...
Quote:
Here's the rub: there's another purpose for sex that nobody seems to want to talk about. Bonding. Sex can (and often does) create very powerful emotional bonds between the partners, and there's a theory that this is another evolutional adaptation that God/Mother Nature added to human sex. Why? Have a kid. Raising children is a very long and stressful process, and it's thought that sex feels so good and creates the ties it does to bond the parents together so their offspring have the best possible chance, being cared for by two people.
Why do you need to bond with someone on a one night stand? One doesn't need to bond with someone they're never going to see, much less have sex with, again. From what I've seen (though my knowledge on one night stands isn't what it could be), people that sleep with a different person every night don't want to bond with anyone.

Last edited by The Doctor; 10-01-2006 at 05:12 PM.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #88
Tyrion
nothing is real
 
Tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
Posts: 6,917
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Just because you weren't mature enough at 16 doesn't mean that others can't be.

EDIT: Just so I don't sound like a completely arrogant son of a bitch, I admit that Mace is not entirely wrong - I'm not saying that all teens understand love, I'm merely saying that some are capable of it. We're not all as immature as people seem to think sometimes, and I hate being generalised. I hate it when people try to drop me into a stereotype. It really pisses me off.
I'll be 16 in a month, but I disagree that we really could be mature to know what love is. Not because we haven't grown physiologically or mentally, persay, but because our love hasn't experienced the trials and tribulations only adults would have. At our ages, life is generally much easier and less stressful than working everything out on your own. Not to say that getting married so young would never work, but any love we have now is largely untested beyond mild high school intrigue.



Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #89
The Doctor
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 4,415
Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
I'll be 16 in a month, but I disagree that we really could be mature to know what love is. Not because we haven't grown physiologically or mentally, persay, but because our love hasn't experienced the trials and tribulations only adults would have.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
At our ages, life is generally much easier and less stressful than working everything out on your own.
Fair point. Yes, our lives are easier than, say, Mace's or Jae's. I've never disputed that. But again, you're over-generalising. There are teens out there who do have to work everything out on their own. We can be just as mature - indeed, even more mature - than someone their age(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Not to say that getting married so young would never work, but any love we have now is largely untested beyond mild high school intrigue.
You must have missed the post where I mentioned that my girlfriend and I are talking about getting married, yes - but not for over five years. Probably more like ten. We're not talking about getting married in a week or anything. We're young. Not stupid.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #90
Tyrion
nothing is real
 
Tyrion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
Posts: 6,917
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Speak for yourself.
Unless you happen to come from rather harsh home-life conditions, you wouldn't have had to faced the responsibilities that come with total control of your life.

Quote:
Fair point. Yes, our lives are easier than, say, Mace's or Jae's. I've never disputed that. But again, you're over-generalising. There are teens out there who do have to work everything out on their own. We can be just as mature - indeed, even more mature - than someone their age(s).
I was thinking of clarifying my point earlier and decided against it, but yes teens who do successfully work everything out on their own are probably more adept towards knowing what love is. But for the greater majority of American teens, they haven't experienced that.

For clarity, by maturity I mean the level of control within your life that you could emancipate from your parents today and still could function well within society.

Quote:
You must have missed the post where I mentioned that my girlfriend and I are talking about getting married, yes - but not for over five years. Probably more like ten. We're not talking about getting married in a week or anything. We're young. Not stupid.
Good. That way, if you're right about love you're right, and if you're wrong you needn't face the messy details of divorce.




Last edited by Tyrion; 10-01-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #91
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Just because you weren't mature enough at 16 doesn't mean that others can't be.

EDIT: Just so I don't sound like a completely arrogant son of a bitch, I admit that Mace is not entirely wrong - I'm not saying that all teens understand love, I'm merely saying that some are capable of it. We're not all as immature as people seem to think sometimes, and I hate being generalised. I hate it when people try to drop me into a stereotype. It really pisses me off.
^^^This guy...he won't stop...

Why exactly is it that you think guys like me say things like that to guys like you? Some vast adult conspiracy to piss you off? No. We say it because we lived through it. I never said teenagers can't understand or comprehend love or being in love. Hey, I remember my girlfriend from when I was 16. She wasn't the first girl I kissed or slept with, but she was my first real, bonafide Girlfriend. Yes, I loved her. I'm quite happy to accept that you and your girlfriend are in love, but understand this: Your subjective emotional experience of love and being in love will change as you leave puberty and enter adulthood. Not unrecognizably, but it will. Growing up from being a teenager to an adult won't just involve your face clearing up, you ceasing to look like a shaved chimpanzee (as most teenage boys do) or learning to control your PMS, it also involves subtle (and not-so-subtle) emotional changes. It happens. Believe it or not, like it or not.

Oh, and by the way, if you're going to talk about how mature you are, writing frothing posts that look like: "**** man, I'm so ****ing tired of people talking **** about how immature I am, I ****ing hate that ****" really doesn't help your cause. It pegs you as something you clearly don't like to get pegged as. For future reference.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #92
Datheus
Whosawhatnow?
 
Datheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Adrift
Posts: 1,425
Emperor Devon:

Please outline your stance on sexual education in the public school system.
Datheus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #93
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I think it should be taught. Kids should know the negative effects of sex at their age.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #94
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Why do you need to bond with someone on a one night stand?
Pre-marital sex is not synonymous with one-night stands.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #95
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
Please outline your stance on sexual education in the public school system.
Bring it on. And while we're at it, get some education on psychiatry, mental illnesses, and grief and all the other taboos-for-no-good-reason in there, too.

There's a correlation between knowledge on grief, psychiatry, STDs, and other subjects and how well you handle it when others or yourself have to face it.

PS: While I just strongly advocated sexual education, can someone explain to me why on this God-blasted Earth it is that the perverts in both the Norwegian (lived here for eighteen years) and American (lived there for three years) have to tell us how to make babies five times (and I'm not excaggerating)?

Are they driven by a form of pedophilia that delivers them sexual pleasure from telling us stuff we learned the first time, or is there a more logical reason? Not to mention that we for some reason learn 10 times more about guys than the "sacred" girls.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #96
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Let's see....
Abstinence--is a good thing to shoot for. There is a religious component for me, however, the medical component actually carries far more weight, personally. Your risk for STDs goes up as your number of partners goes up. Your risk of pregnancy goes up (well, at least for girls), even with birth control, because bc's not foolproof. BC makes the risk very low when it's used correctly, but it's not zero risk. Abstinence has zero risk of pregnancy and STDs. So, I think abstinence should be taught in school along with other forms of birth control.
A lot of people think that STDs are curable, so no big deal if you get them. Unfortunately, some of the diseases are becoming more antibiotic resistant, and some can't be cured at all, just controlled, e.g. HIV, herpes. Even if it can be cured, it can cause damage to reproductive organs before treatment is started--it's more of an issue for females, usually.

Marriage is a public acknowledgement of a couple's commitment and bonding to each other. It's ideal if you can wait because sex is a physical commitment and I think it's treated with far too much disdain in the American culture. I'm not going to look down my nose if a couple decides that they don't want to wait. What I do think they should do is wait until there's a definitive commitment if not the wedding day, and be faithful to each other. It's not just a physical act, and for women in particular it can have a very emotional aspect to it, and that needs to be taken more seriously. In that respect I agree with Mace that there's a bonding aspect to the act that cannot be denied. I'll disagree that one has to do the wild thing with several people before marriage to figure out your likes/dislikes. You can do that after marriage just as well.
Jimbo and I never had been with anyone else, and there was no difficulty figuring things out. There's a zillion books/websites/etc. on sex if someone needs help thinking up new ways to rattle the rafters. What a couple needs to do is be honest with each other about likes and dislikes, what works and what doesn't, be willing to try something that the other likes. I will say that there's a certain advantage to being in a very long term relationship. There are things we've learned about each other that can only come with a lot of time/experience with that one person, and there's a certain depth (for lack of a better term) that is impossible to achieve by being with someone only a few weeks or months.

Now, if you ask me about abstinence in regards to my daughter, I'm looking to find a good cloistered convent and a chastity belt to keep her away from all the horny males out there. I don't mind the idea that she'll marry someone someday and perhaps have children of her own. I do mind the fact that if I want grandchildren, it means someone has to touch my daughter.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #97
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Now, if you ask me about abstinence in regards to my daughter, I'm looking to find a good cloistered convent and a chastity belt to keep her away from all the horny males out there.
I'm going the rockingchair/porch/shotgun route.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #98
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I'm going the rockingchair/porch/shotgun route.
Or the Hummer ad approach with the Father talking to 'Brian'

Brian, a young man: "Hello sir, I came to pick up your daughter."

Father: "Oh, hello, Brian. I was just finishing up sharpening the steak knives. My daughter will be down in a minute. Why don't we go out to the garage?"

(sound of garage door opening)

"Know what this is?"

"It's a hummer, sir."

"That's right, Brian. It's got 3600 horsepower, can go up a 35 degree incline and traverse a 16 inch vertical wall. How tall are you, Brian?"

"6 feet, sir"

"This hummer's got a 72 inch bed. That means it can take something about your size into the middle of nowhere. And I do mean _nowhere_, Brian."

Girl in background: "Brian, is that you?"

Father: "What time will my first-born be home, Brian?"

Brian, in a very nervous voice: "9pm, sir!"

Father: "Perfect."


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 AM   #99
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Brian, a young man: "Hello sir, I came to pick up your daughter."

Father: "Oh, hello, Brian. I was just finishing up sharpening the steak knives. My daughter will be down in a minute. Why don't we go out to the garage?"
Go back to 1950, Jae.

To the original point, I agree with you. It's good to see someone else who supports abstinence.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #100
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
I'll be 16 in a month, but I disagree that we really could be mature to know what love is. Not because we haven't grown physiologically or mentally, persay, but because our love hasn't experienced the trials and tribulations only adults would have.
Speak for yourself.
I, like most others here, have problems conceiving of a situation that teenagers might go through that is comparable to the hardships adults go through in terms of love. A rough example to appease our inquisitiveness, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
At our ages, life is generally much easier and less stressful than working everything out on your own.
Fair point. Yes, our lives are easier than, say, Mace's or Jae's. I've never disputed that. But again, you're over-generalising. There are teens out there who do have to work everything out on their own. We can be just as mature - indeed, even more mature - than someone their age(s).
Before, you said something about hating it when you are placed under a stereotype. This indicates to me that you consider yourself an exception to the general trend with regards to maturity and love and all that. However, you concede Tyrion's point here that, yes your lives are much easier than that of adults. Therefore, your following point about how there are teenagers who do have to work everything out on their own and garner maturity that way is rendered moot with regards to you, since you obviously do not fall into that category. It really has no place in this argument, since we're talking about you specifically, not some abstract generality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
Not to say that getting married so young would never work, but any love we have now is largely untested beyond mild high school intrigue.
You must have missed the post where I mentioned that my girlfriend and I are talking about getting married, yes - but not for over five years. Probably more like ten. We're not talking about getting married in a week or anything. We're young. Not stupid.
I am in full concurrence with Tyrion's sentiments again; thankful that you have given yourself time before taking the big leap into marriage. If in 5-10 years, you both still feel the same way about each other, then more power to you. But realize that a relationship involves two people. So while you both now may feel the same way about each other, who is to say that her feelings are not going to change about you? You both have some very big, very life-altering changes ahead of you and while your notion of love may persevere, hers may not. In fact, they both may not, which is what almost always happens. Your zeal and passion for your love is a very nice thing, especially in this day and age. However, I do not think it wise to allow your feelings to override any and all advice given to you.

I am not rooting for you to fail. I would like to think that no one here is, but I cannot speak for everyone. I am just saying that despite the fact that "you've heard it all before", I think you should stop and consider where us older folk are coming from before brushing us off as people who don't understand your general situation and/or are hoping you crash and burn. If anything, we're just giving advice. And please don't try to take the fact that we have more experience than you away from us.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #101
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Go back to 1950, Jae.

To the original point, I agree with you. It's good to see someone else who supports abstinence.
Oh, I wasn't kidding about the boy having to come in and meet us. No young man is going to sit out in his car and impatiently honk his horn for her to come out. He's going to show respect for her and come to the door, chat a little with us, discuss any ground rules, and so forth.

And a point I didn't make earlier--even if one 'messes up' (I was about to type 'blows it' and maybe 'screws up', and then thought about all the naughty little minds here....) or has simply never decided to be abstinent before, there's always a place to start/restart. Just because you've rocked your socks off in the past doesn't mean you can't stop and decide to wait until you're married or have the solid commitment with someone.

@The Doctor--just enjoy the time with her. If it works out, great, if not, you'll have some wonderful memories and experiences. I was engaged to a guy at one point before it fell apart. While breaking up was hard, I still have some terrific memories of the times we spent together. And it's definitely better to break up before a marriage than after. Divorce lawyers are not cheap.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #102
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Oh, I wasn't kidding about the boy having to come in and meet us. No young man is going to sit out in his car and impatiently honk his horn for her to come out. He's going to show respect for her and come to the door, chat a little with us, discuss any ground rules, and so forth.
I meant the "sir" part. Great way to make him feel welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
And it's definitely better to break up before a marriage than after. Divorce lawyers are not cheap.
In addition to the costs that come with splitting and dividing things. Divorces are expensive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #103
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I meant the "sir" part. Great way to make him feel welcome.
Actually, the 'sir' thing is very much a part of Southern culture. When I lived near Houston for a year, I had to get used to being addressed as 'ma'am' by every child. I grew up in the North where it's just not used with great frequency. One mother absolutely insisted with her child one time that it was not 'yes', it was 'yes, ma'am'. I almost told her that it was OK, he didn't have to use 'ma'am' with me, and when I looked at mom, I realized it was extremely important to her. So I kept my mouth shut and learned to adapt. Our kids use 'ma'am' and 'sir' with folks we don't know well because Jimbo and I decided we liked how polite it sounds, even though we now live in the Great White North where it's used relatively rarely. You know, subtle cultural language differences might be an interesting thread once I get that RP chapter done.

Of course, if I were a boy meeting an intimidating father for the first time who tells me he's just finished sharpening knives, I don't know that I'd address him as 'Yo, dude!'


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #104
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Our kids use 'ma'am' and 'sir' with folks we don't know well because Jimbo and I decided we liked how polite it sounds, even though we now live in the Great White North where it's used relatively rarely.
You see, that's interesting. The UK is fairly well-mannered, on the whole. I have used the words "madam" and "sir" in contexts such as: "Excuse me madam, you're standing on my foot".

But I would personally never use deferential phrases like "yes sir". Not with teachers, not with older people, nobody. Since I am the equal of any man or woman, (and each man and woman is my equal,) I defer to nobody, and my children shall be taught the same thing. Nobody will be allowed to appear as though they are better than my kids, in short. Likewise, I don't expect anyone else to defer to me.

I believe that common courtesy should apply to everyone, but serious hierarchical respect, as in militaristic respect... that would have to be earned. I would have to earn it from others, and others would have to earn it from me.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #105
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider AL
But I would personally never use deferential phrases like "yes sir". Not with teachers, not with older people, nobody. Since I am the equal of any man or woman, (and each man and woman is my equal,) I defer to nobody, and my children shall be taught the same thing. Nobody will be allowed to appear as though they are better than my kids, in short. Likewise, I don't expect anyone else to defer to me.

I believe that common courtesy should apply to everyone, but serious hierarchical respect, as in militaristic respect... that would have to be earned. I would have to earn it from others, and others would have to earn it from me.
That tends to be the attitude in my part of the country also, but it's not down in the South. Children are expected to show respect to their elders, and that's just the way it is for them. Adults are expected to show respect for those who are their superiors in whatever field--I often received a 'yes ma'am' from adults who had come to my office, but I never _expected_ it, and I was honored they considered me worthy of that level of respect. However, if I saw that person in another setting and they had the position of authority, I'd be expected to use the 'yes ma'am/sir' instead. They don't view it as 'militaristic respect', they view it as common courtesy. They view those who refuse to do this (as opposed to those who are just ignorant of their common conventions--they're more than willing to excuse mistakes out of ignorance) as militaristically individualistic, disrespecting of society, and incredibly rude. It's a very different mindset.

I'd rather be overpolite than underpolite.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #106
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Children are expected to show respect to their elders, and that's just the way it is for them. Adults are expected to show respect for those who are their superiors in whatever field--I often received a 'yes ma'am' from adults who had come to my office, but I never _expected_ it, and I was honored they considered me worthy of that level of respect.
But you see, that's exactly the problem with socially enforced deferential behaviour. In a society where it's considered standard behaviour to treat someone else as if they're better than you just because of age, position in the community or hierarchical superiority, you can never be sure if people are giving you respect because they really respect you or whether they're just showing you superficial respect because it's expected of them.

If "respect" is shown for purely arbitrary reasons, it loses all its important intrinsic value. People who deserve respect should get it, and no others should receive it.

Just like retail staff these days. They're all instructed to smile at you when you're buying items, and to wish you a "nice day" as you leave. Well now that they're all forced to do it, it takes all the value and good wishes out of the equation. They're not really wishing you a good day, they're just running through a script. And of course, when people are forced to do anything, there must always be an unhealthy undercurrent of resentment present on their part.

That's the first problem. The second problem is that someone who is older than you doesn't necessarily deserve your respect. Many older people have been completely rude and unpleasant to me, and thankfully I had the self-belief to throw it right back in their faces. I don't want to bring my kids up to accept disrespect or a lack of common courtesy from anyone, whether they're a teacher, a senior citizen or the local mayor. It's just unacceptable.

Quote:
They don't view it as 'militaristic respect', they view it as common courtesy.
They can view it any way they wish, but I'm sure you'll agree that "yes sir" and "no ma'am" are phrases that are deferential in structure.

Just like men and women. The old convention that women should always go through a door first, nowadays is both unfair for men, and insulting to women. Surely we are both equal, and therefore have equal standing when it comes to who precedes whom through a doorway. So that old custom is deferential and therefore obsolete (and frankly amoral).

However, I routinely hold doors open for other people when they have right of way, or have been waiting longer, or have heavy bags... But I do so regardless of age, race, sex, etcetera etcetera. Therefore it is common courtesy and not specifically deferential. This is, in my view, an important distinction.

Quote:
I'd rather be overpolite than underpolite.
Hmm, that's a slippery slope. I stop being "polite" when being polite would infringe my own rights as an equal member of society. For instance, I might give money to a representative of a charity on the street, but not a mugger on the street. I might hold a door open for someone with a heavy, difficult to carry bag, but I wouldn't hold the door open for a businessman or woman who tried to barge in front of me in the queue. This is also an important social distinction.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #107
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
^^
I moved the language discussion over to another thread.

I assume people are courteous and treat them that way as fellow members of humanity, until they prove themselves otherwise, then all bets are off. I don't get to uppity about it because you never know who's carrying a gun and having a bad day. I'd rather be alive and slightly insulted than point out someone's rudeness only to get shot.
Door-holding custom--happened in the days when womens' dresses were very full. there are just some things that are a lot harder to do in hoop skirts. Nowadays, we don't wear that kind of thing (except maybe at Halloween parties), so the convention is not so important. If my hands are free and a mom has her hands full with a baby and a toddler, or a man is carrying something, I'll gladly hold the door for them. I don't demand someone hold the door for me, but at the same token, I don't get offended (like some of my more radically feminist sisters might) if they hold the door for me, either. I just say 'thank you, that's very kind of you' and go on my way.

But, I need to return the topic to abstinence, and I'm afraid I don't have anything new or interesting to add at the moment other than it is A Good Thing and should be pursued when possible.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #108
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Final thoughts:

1) Abstinence sucks. Been there, didn't like it.

2) Funny how the people who seem to have the most negative opinions about casual sex are the ones who've never had any.

3) It's good that the teenagers who post here aren't having sex. They clearly couldn't handle it at their present level of emotional development, so it's probably for the best.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #109
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
2) Funny how the people who seem to have the most negative opinions about casual sex are the ones who've never had any.
My thoughts exactly. Sex and virginity only seem to be hugely important to people who haven't had sex.

Society seems to manage to create this great myth and taboo around sex.. which inflates it out of all proportion. Then kids and teenagers pick up on this and it becomes a huge issue. Either from the "gotta have sex so i'm no longer a nerdy virgin" side or the "virginity is an important gift, not to be given away lightly" side.

Frankly I almost think the kids would be better off if we just MADE them all have sex so that they could get it all over and done with, see it isn't a big deal, learn about how to do it safely and then just get on with their lives. We'd end up with a lot less confused and worried kids, a lot less worried parents and a lot less teenage pregnancies.

Might be a bit embarassing for the kids and the parents to drive them to their "Having sex" lesson, with their packed lunch and their birth control though..

-

Anyone see the story (in the swamp?) that pregnant teenagers in the UK are smoking because they heard that smoking when pregnant reduces the weight of the baby.. so they think it will make the birth easier? SOmetimes i think all the gvernment information campaigns and sex education is a complete waste of time.



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #110
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Final thoughts:

1) Abstinence sucks. Been there, didn't like it.
Never said I _liked_ abstinence.
However, I hit my teen/college years at the point when AIDS was hitting the news in a big way and was pretty much a death sentence because we didn't have anything to treat it. And going to college, there was just no way I was going to bring a child into the world (Jae + finals week=Evil Woman from Hell--not conducive to child rearing). No way I could afford to a. jeopardize my life and health, b. jeopardize my education/future career and c. be untrue to my personal moral/religious code in order to have a little bit of pleasure.

I didn't have the time or resources available to be able to afford being pregnant (birthing my kids cost $10,000 and $17,000) and raise the children, especially out of wedlock. It would have been grossly unfair to any children to bring them into the world before being prepared for them. The best way to not get pregnant for me was to just not do it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
2) Funny how the people who seem to have the most negative opinions about casual sex are the ones who've never had any.
I grew up with an RN for a grandmother, had a dad who volunteered in an ER, and pretty much knew I was going to be in the med field from a very young age. I saw and heard a lot more than most people might see by the time they hit high school, and it did shape my views a lot on casual sex. And that's before the moral/religious aspects of that decision.

Because of working in a medical setting, I see the negative effects of casual sex on a fairly regular, almost daily, basis. When you have casual sex, you're pretty much having sex not only with that person, but every other person they've been with, too, in terms of disease transmission.

I see kids who are born HIV positive. I hear from women whose lives have been destroyed emotionally by hubby's fling with someone else (I'd probably hear from guys too, if they talked about that kind of thing, but they don't), seen the poverty of unwed mothers and their children (the poorest households are headed by unwed mothers), and see infections caused by STDs and they don't know which partner they got it from. One of my very dearest friends died from AIDS he got from casual sex.

These are all long-term and sometimes lifelong effects of a single 10 minute romp. That doesn't begin to address the emotional effects, which tend to be greater for women than men.

You may think that casual sex was worth the risk of all that, but I don't. If you're dying in bed from AIDS, the last thing you're going to think of is 'hey, that was a great new technique I learned from Bob there a few years back.'


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #111
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
1) Abstinence sucks. Been there, didn't like it.
I'm not against sex itself, just with sex before marriage. Sure, it'll be a few years or more of waiting, but Jae gave some good reasons for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
2) Funny how the people who seem to have the most negative opinions about casual sex are the ones who've never had any.
That counts for little. If I wanted to, I could go out right now and pay a prostitute to do some very bad things. It would probably feel good physically (I can't say for certain, as I've never had sex), but that's definitely it. I highly doubt my opinion would sway either way. In fact, I'd probably be even more against casual sex leter on in life. Whether people have had sex or not I don't think counts. We have plenty of facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
3) It's good that the teenagers who post here aren't having sex. They clearly couldn't handle it at their present level of emotional development, so it's probably for the best.
I think that's a bit of a generalization. On average, yes, the emotional development of teenagers isn't at that of adults. However, there are exceptions for everything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #112
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 


Okay, this conversation is just heading in a circle, and I'm getting fed up repeating myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED
Whether people have had sex or not I don't think counts.
Well, I do.

Y'know, I might have said this before someplace, can't remember where...thought it might have been here, but oh well, I feel very, very sorry for people who think sex is just for getting pregnant or catching horrible diseases.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 09:30 PM   #113
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod

Okay, this conversation is just heading in a circle, and I'm getting fed up repeating myself.

Y'know, I might have said this before someplace, can't remember where...thought it might have been here, but oh well, I feel very, very sorry for people who think sex is just for getting pregnant or catching horrible diseases.

Mace, I understand your arguments, I just don't agree with casual sex (which I define as one or multiple partners outside of a committed relationship/marriage). If 'casual' to you means 'sex for purposes other than procreation' then we're talking about 2 different things.

16 years of marriage and 2 kids later, Jimbo and I are hardly celibate, ya know. We think the physical bonding contributes to the emotional bonding and vice versa, and are quite happy to utilize the marriage bed for activities other than sleeping. We don't mess around with anyone else, however, and quite honestly, don't have a need to. I've got filet mignon here at home--the best anyone else could do is meatloaf, so why eat out? [/ridiculous euphemism]


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #114
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Well, I've got my filet at home too, but I got to sample every single meat the deli section had to offer first, and I regret none of it. In the anti-casual sex crowd, I'm seeing all these horror stories about HIV, pregnancy, STDs and all that, people equating casual sex with sleazy, backroom encounters with slimy hookers with low self esteem, sexual abuse, etc etc etc wall-to-wall negativity, and I'm sick of seeing it because I know through experience that it doesn't have to be like that. Yeah, I pretty much agree with your definition of casual sex, only the difference is I'm cool with it. Using birth control, condoms, and getting checked out regularly at the clinic (and only selecting partners who do the same) you can pretty much reduce the risks to negligible levels. Casual sex actually can be just for fun, and people actually do enjoy themselves. And I did. Lots. With many beautiful women. And many not-so-beautiful women. And, okay, let's be honest here, a few coyote-ugly cases at 9am when the beer goggles wore off. Hell, I spent most of my 20's blasting away in the Grunge band scene. Chicks dig musicians, and we dug them right back. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. I won't go into personal totals or anything (not that anyone here would believe me), but I never caught a single STD and I never got anyone pregnant. Those were truly some great times for ol' Mace in the "Getting Knob Polished" department, and me and my moral core are just fine with that. I found it to be inifinitely more satisfying than those lonely, socially inept teenage years where girls of loose morals would bite through screen doors to get away from me. And at the end of it, I came out happily married. Sex to me is one of life's great pleasures, and as much a need to me as breathing or eating. Yes, I'm proud of that. I have my experiences, and nothing can take them away.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #115
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
2) Funny how the people who seem to have the most negative opinions about casual sex are the ones who've never had any.
Ouch. Well I've been there, ****ed that, and yeah it's fun but it's not emotionally fulfilling.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 AM   #116
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Well, I've got my filet at home too, but I got to sample every single meat the deli section had to offer first, and I regret none of it.
Eh, I don't miss sampling/being sampled, to be honest. We've had 16 years to figure out most, if not all, of the things you figured out sampling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
In the anti-casual sex crowd, I'm seeing all these horror stories about HIV, pregnancy, STDs and all that,
Because it happens. A lot. I see the results a lot in my own office, and I don't live in Sin City, I live in a moderately conservative town. I've also read the journal articles on poverty in single-mother homes, rates of STDs vs numbers of partners, effects of teen pregnancies, etc. I've been through the singularly awful experience of watching my best friend, who was this vibrant, wonderful, joyful person, die of AIDS, covered in Kaposi's, his mind fried from encephalopathy, blind from cytomegalovirus, and weighing maybe 90 pounds at the time of his death. If I could prevent one more person from having to go through that, I would. It's not a little problem. It's a big problem. It may never have been a problem for you personally, but it's there just the same.

Granted, there are a percentage of folks who will never have any problems, because someone has to be on the other end of the statistics to create an average. You were very lucky. How do you know she wasn't lying about her STD status? It's not like people carry around their doctor's statement that they're clean like vet papers, and it's void the moment they do the wild thing with someone else anyway. And how careful can one be really, if one is soused so bad they had 'beer goggles' in the morning? You might be able to, but I'm not so sure I could have been 100% careful 100% of the time after a few too many rum-and-cokes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
people equating casual sex with sleazy, backroom encounters with slimy hookers with low self esteem, sexual abuse, etc etc etc wall-to-wall negativity, and I'm sick of seeing it because I know through experience that it doesn't have to be like that.
Nope, you're right, it doesn't have to be like that. There are plenty of non-sleazy people having non-sleazy, very pleasant encounters. I didn't mean to imply casual sex is equivalent to something like prostitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
(and only selecting partners who do the same) you can pretty much reduce the risks to negligible levels.
If you're in a casual relationship, can you develop enough trust in that person to believe that they're being completely honest about their health status? Sure the risk is very low if you are very careful every single time. Most people are not very careful every single time. They're very careful _most_ of the time. But it only takes _one_ time of not being careful to cause problems.
It's still not zero risk, which is why my argument is that abstinence is better/preferable from a simple mathematics/statistics point alone, and that's not addressing the other issues.

I'm _not_ saying it's the _only_ choice, however. I'm just debating my side, Mace. Being as careful as you were is an option. It carries some more risk, and people have to decide if that risk makes it worth the fun.
It wasn't worth the risk for me in the years before Jimbo and I got together. I also wanted the emotional intimacy before the physical, which is not achievable in a one-night stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Casual sex actually can be just for fun, and people actually do enjoy themselves. And I did. Lots. With many beautiful women. And many not-so-beautiful women. And, okay, let's be honest here, a few coyote-ugly cases at 9am when the beer goggles wore off.
Why would you have casual sex if it wasn't ultimately for fun? And no, I don't require an answer to that one. I never said people don't enjoy themselves during casual sex. Obviously people do, or it wouldn't be so prevalent.

Doesn't matter what people look like in the dark under the covers, anyway. Beauty/handsomeness does not translate to performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
me and my moral core are just fine with that.
Not that I was trying to make this a moral issue, but since you mention it, were your partners' moral codes fine when their beer goggles wore off?
And if you only were with her one night before you moved on to another town, there's no way to guarantee 100% that no gal got pregnant unless you had surgery to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
I found it to be inifinitely more satisfying than those lonely, socially inept teenage years where girls of loose morals would bite through screen doors to get away from me. And at the end of it, I came out happily married.
Just about everything in life is more satisfying than the lonely, socially inept teenage years. I wouldn't go back to those years if you paid me a gazillion bucks. But that's a confidence/self-esteem problem, not a 'lack of nookie' problem. You happened to fix the problem using sex as one of the tools, I utilized other methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Sex to me is one of life's great pleasures, and as much a need to me as breathing or eating.
I'll agree with you completely on that one. It really sucked for both of us when Jimbo got deployed, and lack of intimacy was a significant part of that whole suckiness.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #117
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Riiiiiiiiiiight. Hey, can you hear me back there in the 1920's? STD=Sexually Transmitted Disease. It's a disease that's transmitted by sexual contact. That's why it's called a Sexually Transmitted Disease, not a Toilet Seat Transmitted Disease.
XD 1920s? See, according to your post, I'd assume you know that you can have sex on toilets too? So I can immediatly think of at least two possible scenarios one can catch the peenis-flu there. Also, If you actually read my posts (and I think you mostly did), you might have noticed that I say STDs are *not* exclusively transmitted by sexual contacts.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #118
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Ouch. Well I've been there, ****ed that, and yeah it's fun but it's not emotionally fulfilling.
Neither is golf, but its enjoyable and people do it for fun. They don't blow it all up into some self-fullfilling prophecy of imense emotional proportions.

What is emotionally fulfilling is being with someone you love, not sex. Whether its talking, playing golf or whatever. Sex is an activity that is fun, and all things are more fun with someone you love.. but that doesn't mean you should link the two in some way they are not. No one says "i'm not playing golf until i get married, because it won't be emotionally fulfilling unless i do it with someone i love".

Did anyone here not KISS anone until they married? I'd guess not. Does that make kissing your other half any less emotionally fulfilling because you kissed someone else first? I very much doubt it..



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #119
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Now golf is emotionally fulfilling with family and friends.

Seriously, what I'm saying is yeah it's fun, but to be honest you may as well just frig yourself, less hassle. That's not to say I'm against sex outside of marriage, long as you don't hurt no one you can lay any piece of meat you like. In fact I tend to lean against those who push for abstinence, on the simple basis of it that it gives the moral police an excuse to kick up a stink.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #120
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Neither is golf, but its enjoyable and people do it for fun. They don't blow it all up into some self-fullfilling prophecy of imense emotional proportions.

What is emotionally fulfilling is being with someone you love, not sex. Whether its talking, playing golf or whatever. Sex is an activity that is fun, and all things are more fun with someone you love.. but that doesn't mean you should link the two in some way they are not.
You're coming at it from a guy point of view. It's not just some thing you "do". It's something you share with someone else. It takes a certain amount of trust to crawl under the covers with someone, and I think it requires women to trust more than men. Aside from the one night flings, there are a whole host of feelings associated with this activity that are impossible to separate out if you're going to have a relationship with that person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
No one says "i'm not playing golf until i get married, because it won't be emotionally fulfilling unless i do it with someone i love".
That's cause I'm not making love to the golf ball, I'm making love to the person.

And before someone gets any ideas about golf balls, just remember, don't do anything you don't want the ER staff laughing about in the lounge after they've treated you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Did anyone here not KISS anone until they married? I'd guess not. Does that make kissing your other half any less emotionally fulfilling because you kissed someone else first? I very much doubt it..
Kissing doesn't have the same level of intimacy, and it's far different degree of giving/receiving/sharing than sex. So yeah, sex is more special than kissing, and a lot more emotionally/physically fulfilling than kissing. I don't regret kissing the other men in my life, and I had a fine time when I was dating. But it just never had the same level of intimacy.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Abstinence

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.