lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What are y'all opinions on the FCC?
I hate it; time to take it outback and have it shot 3 20.00%
It's ok 3 20.00%
We need the FCC; for balance or to protect children's innocence 8 53.33%
It's got to go 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Ok, what are y'all opinions on the FCC
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #41
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I did complain. And no, I'm not a member of PTC, and if my kids want to take a life drawing class or look at books of anatomy, that's fine with me, though they're a little too young right now. 'Life drawing' consists of stick people at the moment. Again, it wasn't the anatomy--it was the lack of warning.
My point was that not enough individual people complained to warrant the idea that it was something particularly shocking or offensive to the general public. TBH I dunno why anyone would want to watch that stuff anyway. Janet Jackson? Ugh.

I don't see how football is particularly wholesome anyway. All the 'American values' it seems to represent are violence, competition and corporate backing. Throw in the rest of the ads that are shown during it and I see very little redeeming value for children (or anyone else for that matter). In the interests of full disclosure, I don't care for football.

Quote:
And believe me, I turn off a lot of TV shows that I find offensive. I don't let my kids watch any of the CSIs for instance--way too graphic/violent for their age and some of the subject matter (e.g. the dominitrix episode) is clearly inappropriate for a child.
That's good, though I don't see why you'd bother with TV at all for them at such an age (5-12?). I haven't watched TV much at all since 1996 and there's literally nothing to miss about it.

Quote:
Abstinence--my stance on that is related primarily to disease transmission rather than morality.
Regardless of why, if you expect it of your children the argument stands. I'm rather partial to the abstinence idea myself, as it is a reasonable expectation of rational individuals. This is why I chose to use it - turning off a TV is a similarly rational response to a channel showing objectionable content. If you don't turn it off/switch channels, you are not acting rationally; it's like suing McDonalds for making you fat because you chose to eat there repeatedly.

However, that statement was more for people that get outraged over incidents like Jackson's, keep watching and don't want to take any personal preventative measures on their own.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
They certainly do deserve to. Parents can't always be around to stop kids from turning on the TV, and they can't do anything when not warned beforehand about the content in a show.
If you see something that is "NR", do you really assume it's something G rated? I don't. Likewise, with a "Live" show, do you expect it to be censored? Probably not. So take action accordingly.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 12:50 AM   #42
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Don't tell me Devon that you are saying, people aren't intelligent enough to speak properly, because they curse a lot.
I think speaking profainly is less intelligent than doing it eloquently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
You know, you are sounding like that guy, Spider AL.
That's getting awfully close to flaming...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #43
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
That's getting awfully close to flaming...
I'd take that as a compliment, Devon. Spider's pretty sharp.

Windu, you're inventing strawmen. Devon didn't say that people were inherently stupid because they cuss; he said that those who cuss are in general unable to articulate their feelings accurately so they resort to cussing. As a result they seem less intelligent. I concur with this idea, though I think a few well placed curses are appropriate at times.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #44
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I think speaking profainly is less intelligent than doing it eloquently.
Well, that is your opinion.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
That's getting awfully close to flaming...
That guy was calling me less articulate and less intelligent because I didn't hide my anger toward the holocaust.
I'm not getting mad at you, we are cool; he will surely like that, for he can call me a troll for 6th damn time.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 AM   #45
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
Windu, you're inventing strawmen. Devon didn't say that people were inherently stupid because they cuss; he said that those who cuss are in general unable to articulate their feelings accurately so they resort to cussing. As a result they seem less intelligent. I concur with this idea, though I think a few well placed curses are appropriate at times.
So, what if people cuss a lot, stop conforming to society's standards, Samuel.
I don't give a damn for society's standards, I'm going to cuss all I want.
I can hide my emotions, I just choose not to sometimes.

Last edited by windu6; 11-20-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #46
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis
As a result they seem less intelligent. I concur with this idea, though I think a few well placed curses are appropriate at times.
Thats the most f***ing awful idea I've heard in my whole f***ing life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
That guy was calling me less articulate and less intelligent because I didn't hide my anger toward the holocaust.
Now you're pulling things out of thin air. This is irrelevant to the topic, and sounds like it could lead to insulting... In which case the mods will have to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
So, what if people cuss a lot, stop conforming to society's standards, Samuel.
There's a reason profanity is censored and not commonly used in the first place... The reasons I previously listed being some of them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:31 AM   #47
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
There's a reason profanity is censored and not commonly used in the first place... The reasons I previously listed being some of them.
It's just WORDS !
Curse words in the past was not always, consider profanity.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #48
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
It's just WORDS !
Mein Kampf, the principles of which you are so against, is nothing but words. It's not quite that simple.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #49
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
If I may, I probably wouldn't use the language I use here if the censor didn't do it's job. It's just a respect thing for those who would be offended by it.

Also, if it's just words, what if a Nazi speaker was trying to rally support for anti Jewish sentiment? Would you be pissed off about it? I'd be willing to bet you'd say yes, and not only do you have every right to be I'd be just as upset as you would be.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 01:50 AM   #50
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Mein Kampf, the principles of which you are so against, is nothing but words. It's not quite that simple.
Oh, you had to bring up that evil demon's book.

I bet you that Battlestar Galactica word, ''frack''=f**k, will become inappropriate
because of the influence of the FCC.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:06 AM   #51
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Oh, you had to bring up that evil demon's book.
Since it relates to your statement about words, yes. I don't see how you can advocate an anti-Nazi viewpoint when you claim words are "just words."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #52
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Thats the most f***ing awful idea I've heard in my whole f***ing life.
Yup. Which brings me to another point: why have the bleeps if everyone knows what's being said? They always seem to leave the "eff" or "sh" sound in front of the bleeps just to make sure you're not missing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Curse words in the past was not always, consider profanity.
But other words were considered profane which are not now. Languages change, meanings don't. If I hear you using lowbrow language it's easy to dismiss you as irrelevant. If I hear you presenting a well thought out argument in clear language, hey, maybe I'll listen because it doesn't sound like a waste of time. Just my experience, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Mein Kampf, the principles of which you are so against, is nothing but words. It's not quite that simple.
Yup, which is why you can find that book easily enough. It really is just words. What you do with said words is another thing entirely; it's the ideas the words convey that are dangerous. I personally wouldn't consider cussing the cause of the destruction of society or whatever's popular these days, but it doesn't make a good impression. For instance, I might cuss if I did something really stupid or mindbending, but I don't ever cuss in front of someone I am not familiar with. Same with the internet... I can't remember a single time I've ever cussed on the internet in eleven years. I also can't remember a time when someone's even vaguely insulted my intelligence in that same span of time. I know correlation does not prove causation, but cussing most emphatically doesn't help out if you're trying to be serious.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 AM   #53
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Since it relates to your statement about words, yes. I don't see how you can advocate an anti-Nazi viewpoint when you claim words are "just words."
Man, you don't get it, if we continue to argue about my anti-Nazi viewpoint, we are going to become adversaries.

So, lets end that discussion.
Ok, Devon !
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 12:24 AM   #54
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm not trying to debate your anti-Nazi viewpoint, only how you can have almost any viewpoint when words are "just words".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 02:16 AM   #55
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I'm not trying to debate your anti-Nazi viewpoint, only how you can have almost any viewpoint when words are "just words".
Ok, Devon !

I will review the modern profane words.

f**k=sex, now of course this word is offensive to some people; this society, well in this country(U.S.A).
at least, like to hide sex.
s**t=feces, worthless, now I don't know why this word is still censor on some networks; Star Trek DS9 use this word; captain Sisco.
p***y= similar to sex, female genitals; same reason for this society don't like the discussion of sex.
Now, me and you is just going to have disagreements, because I just don't like censors, in my T.V. programs.

Now other U.S.A bad words.

******=Of course, this is offensive to people like me; angery,violent reflex reactions if this word is spoken to people who are like me, with my brown skin color.
Not censor that often, by the FCC; This word don't offend me unless, I hear it spoken by a racist.
This is a built in instinct, from my up bringing.
My family had to deal with intense racism, in the past.
redneck/cracker=A poor caucasian person in the southern United States; this is offensive, because it have been linked with the KKK.
But not censor by FCC.

But for Nazism, I don't care, I don't give f**k, I hate their evil more then any other thing on this planet.
They are pure evil, and I hate evil.
The use of logic is not just going to work with respect to those demons, with me Devon.

I HATE THEM !

So, you got to understand I have extreme emotions release when it come the Hitler and the Nazis.
So, I'm guarantee to be bias when people bring a logical discussion toward that evil organization.

Now, I bet that guy Spider AL, will say I'm a troll because of that statement.

Last edited by windu6; 11-21-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 AM   #56
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Now, me and you is just going to have disagreements, because I just don't like censors, in my T.V. programs.
Bringing me back, for who knows how many times, to the original point of why you want to hear swear words and see sexual/violent/whatever images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
The use of logic is not just going to work with respect to those demons, with me Devon.
Great, I'm not trying to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Now, I bet that guy Spider AL, will say I'm a troll because of that statement.
Er, how does Spider come into this? We're discussing sensors, not his stance on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Davis
Yup. Which brings me to another point: why have the bleeps if everyone knows what's being said? They always seem to leave the "eff" or "sh" sound in front of the bleeps just to make sure you're not missing out.
I'd been kidding.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 03:28 AM   #57
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
FOR ****'S SAKE **** THIS ****!
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #58
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
FOR ****'S SAKE **** THIS ****!
What is wrong, Nancy ?
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 AM   #59
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Bringing me back, for who knows how many times, to the original point of why you want to hear swear words and see sexual/violent/whatever images.
Because in real life there is no censors, so I like it when programs are more realistic; for example Deadwood, The Wire and The Sorpranos, no annoying censors.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Er, how does Spider come into this? We're discussing sensors, not his stance on you.
Just ignore that statement.

Last edited by windu6; 11-23-2006 at 12:47 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #60
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Okay windu6, I'm sure 3 year-olds who walk around talking like Brooklyn longshoremen are a real stitch when they're your little cousins, but believe me, when you and the future Mrs. windu6 are sitting in a restaurant and it's your toddler talking like that, you're going to feel pretty stupid and embarrassed when you look around and see everybody staring at you thinking, "Geez, what kind of socially clueless, uncultured, backwoods rubes are these?!"

I really couldn't care less about swearing generally; the Sopranos is one of my favourite shows, and I'm pretty much one of the most lax parents around when it comes to watching 18+ movies and tv shows when my daughter's up and about, but there are a lot of circumstances and situations where foul language just isn't appropriate. In polite or formal settings, swearing is going to make you look clueless, inarticulate, and generally not intelligent enough to know when to keep your language clean or your mouth shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
FOR ****'S SAKE **** THIS ****!
See?
This isn't about mindless conformity for conformity's sake, it's about having manners and being able to demonstrate that you can control your behaviour. It's a mark of maturity and the self-control that goes along with it.


And as I've said before, the FCC or similar body is needed to regulate what programming is appropriate at what times as determined by the common standards of decency and obscenity (inconsistent and fluctuating though they may be) in a society with evolving standards. This is why you don't see ads for 1-800-sex-chat lines on during Mr. Rogers.

Finally,
Nazis = bad
Hitler = bad, naughty, evil
Racism = bad

We've been up and down this in almost every single thread here, so let's just drop it.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #61
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Okay windu6, I'm sure 3 year-olds who walk around talking like Brooklyn longshoremen are a real stitch when they're your little cousins, but believe me, when you and the future Mrs. windu6 are sitting in a restaurant and it's your toddler talking like that, you're going to feel pretty stupid and embarrassed when you look around and see everybody staring at you thinking, "Geez, what kind of socially clueless, uncultured, backwoods rubes are these?!"

I really couldn't care less about swearing generally; the Sopranos is one of my favourite shows, and I'm pretty much one of the most lax parents around when it comes to watching 18+ movies and tv shows when my daughter's up and about, but there are a lot of circumstances and situations where foul language just isn't appropriate. In polite or formal settings, swearing is going to make you look clueless, inarticulate, and generally not intelligent enough to know when to keep your language clean or your mouth shut. See?
This isn't about mindless conformity for conformity's sake, it's about having manners and being able to demonstrate that you can control your behaviour. It's a mark of maturity and the self-control that goes along with it.
Mace you don't understand, I don't give a damn what people think of me, I have been embarrassed in many situations it doesn't phase me.
I don't waste my time trying to impress other people.

I'm just not as culture as you and I don't care.
That is your environment, not mine.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #62
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Here is an interesting PDF on the number of complaints about TV shows etc that were lodged with the FCC. Not many.

Windu, perhaps you don't care about being embarrassed or whatnot, but it affects other people's opinions of you. This in turn affects their actions towards you, and I imagine you will eventually discover that. I don't think you'll like it much either; being looked down on generally does not translate into job promotions or pay raises...


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #63
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,345
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
If anyone is relying on a government organization to help raise your children, lord help you.
I think it is good for them to help by providing information regarding what kind of content is included in a show or music or games. I'm not asking them to censor certain things, I'm asking (not telling) them to provide me as a parent information that I can use to decide what is or isn't appropriate for my child. When my child wants to buy a CD or watch a show, I'd like to be able to know whether it has T&A or explicit lyrics so I can decide whether she should be allowed to watch or listen to it.

If other parents or people want to access such content, great (I might sometimes). They should have access to it. But IMO it helps everyone to be made aware of what the content contains.

And let me tell you, your perspective changes a hell of a lot once you have children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Mace you don't understand, I don't give a damn what people think of me, I have been embarrassed in many situations it doesn't phase me.
I don't waste my time trying to impress other people.
You don't say.

Prime is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #64
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Don't know why I didn't see this earlier. Parental responsibility wins, government regulation is bad. Just because censorship is Government sponsored doesn't mean titty ****ing will be shown on Primetime, people will not watch it, and they won't be able to sell advertising.

Last edited by Samnmax221; 11-21-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #65
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Mace you don't understand, I don't give a damn what people think of me, I have been embarrassed in many situations it doesn't phase me.
I don't waste my time trying to impress other people.

I'm just not as culture as you and I don't care.
That is your environment, not mine.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Once the rebellion phase wears off and you've got kids of your own to worry about, you'll see things differently.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #66
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace MacLeod
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Once the rebellion phase wears off and you've got kids of your own to worry about, you'll see things differently.
Difficult to see, the future.
Always in motion the future is.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #67
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Because in real life there is no censors
And that matters about censors, how...?

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to hear a clear base your arguments spring from. Mine, for instance, is that swearing is detrimental to children and is an unintelligent form of expression. You, however, have given no such basis other than your own opinions and irrelevent facts. The idea that there are no censors in real life is irrelevant; real life isn't always a nice thing. Hence how we attempt to change it, bringing in censors.

All I have seen so far from you so far are the following arguments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Come on, it is just words, people.
I shouldn't even have to explain the lack of logic apparent in this. Given your previous statements about Nazism, it's obvious you don't agree with your own statement. For any later arguments, please use less contradicotry ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
in real life there is no censors
I've already explained. Not everything should be like real life. Some things that have happened in real life I doubt even you would not care about children seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I just don't like censors
The only relevancy opinions play in debates are the sides of an issue you choose. When you are arguing for it, logical reasoning and proof that your side of the topic has more merit is what matters. Other than your three main points, you've also brought up Nazis and Spider Al. To clear this issue up, like Mace said, Nazis are bad and are of no importance to this discussion. And unless he chooses to join in, Spider Al is of no relevancy either. Even then, it would be his arguments, not his stance towards you and trolling that would matter. Let's drop these off-topic issues, if you wouldn't mind.

I await a reasonable and actually debatable argument on your part. Not opinions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #68
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker
 
Mace MacLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere else. Probably.
Posts: 1,096
Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I await a reasonable and actually debatable argument on your part. Not opinions.
Emperor Devon, meet windu6. windu6, meet Emperor Devon. Have you met before...?

And in real life, there are censors, windu6. We are the censors of our speech and actions. Any adult with half a brain isn't going to walk into an elementary school and start doing a Richard Pryor standup comedy routine, is he? I do understand that you don't care about other people's opinions (much) now, but I also understand that one day, you'll be outside somewhere and you'll notice a bunch of kids way younger than you shooting their mouths off and you'll think, "Damn. Did I really sound that stupid when I was that age...?" The answer is: yes, you did. There will come a time where you'll stop saying, "I'm not gonna comform to your rules, man!", and that's when the miracle of maturity bestows upon you the wisdom to see why the rules are there, and why all us boring old farts follow them in the first place.


Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #69
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
And that matters about censors, how...?
You know, you ask a lot of how, why and what questions.
That is it, I don't know how more clearly I can explain it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
You, however, have given no such basis other than your own opinions and irrelevent facts. The idea that there are no censors in real life is irrelevant; real life isn't always a nice thing. Hence how we attempt to change it, bringing in censors.
Look man, I don't know what do you want from me.
It is relevant, it is my opinion, I don't like censors in my T.V. programs.
How more clearly can I explain it to you.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I shouldn't even have to explain the lack of logic apparent in this. Given your previous statements about Nazism, it's obvious you don't agree with your own statement. For any later arguments, please use less contradicotry ones.


I've already explained. Not everything should be like real life. Some things that have happened in real life I doubt even you would not care about children seeing.
Damn, I can't have my own opinions?
I have explained this over and over again.
I don't like no censor in my T.V. programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
The only relevancy opinions play in debates are the sides of an issue you choose. When you are arguing for it, logical reasoning and proof that your side of the topic has more merit is what matters.

I await a reasonable and actually debatable argument on your part. Not opinions.
OK, Devon !

Curse words evolve from acceptable words.
So, it is a contradiction to label them offensive latter in the time the word is known to the society.
That is like saying, the word frack which is acceptable now by the FCC, will later become a offensive word if more people in the society deem it should be censor.
Now, for nudity well this is just ridiculous.
This was no big deal in the anicent past,
Why is it a big deal now ?
Another contradiction !
I believe some religions is the reason for the big deal for nudity.
For example:Well in the 20s-50s sex before marriage was a sin, also the male penis will fall off if they have sex before marrying, ridiculous.
Also when religion ruled most of the known civilize world back then in the Dark Ages.
Is probably when nudity became a big deal, in most civilize countries.
The Romans and the Greeks didn't try to hide nudity and sex.
Like the U.S.A. does now.
Religion influence the U.S.Aand also the FCC.

Look at Japan, sex central, not that many censors.
Nudity R'us and Sex R'us.

Now, for children they imitate their parents speech.
So, you can't keep blaming T.V. for curse words.
If the parent don't want their child to watch T.V. networks that don't have censors then lock the damn channels.
How hard is that?
Children going to hear cursing in public, because there is no damn censors
So, it maybe a futile effort to protect your kids from bad words.
Unless you lock them up in the house and bar them contact with the public.
Now, for censor nudity still ridiculous, I don't need to explain no more.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #70
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I've not looked through your entire post, due to how you keep saying 'this is ridiculous, I don't have to explain it'. Unless you intend to explain it and have something beyond opinions and irrelevant information in your arguments, there is no point in discussing this. I debate for fun in organized tournaments, and I can tell you that this is not a sensible way to have one. If you'd like to debate with me, do it properly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #71
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I've not looked through your entire post, due to how you keep saying 'this is ridiculous, I don't have to explain it'. Unless you intend to explain it and have something beyond opinions and irrelevant information in your arguments, there is no point in discussing this. I debate for fun in organized tournaments, and I can tell you that this is not a sensible way to have one. If you'd like to debate with me, do it properly.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but that is how I see it.
When I see something as ridiculous I laugh at it.
This society(U.S.A.) make to much of a big deal out of sex and nudity.
And the big out cry by some people about curse words is just a overreaction.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #72
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I see in this case my previous post has been ignored.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 PM   #73
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
I see in this case my previous post has been ignored.
No, it have not been ignored.
I have explain my reasons.
That is how I see it.
Man, you are giving me a headache.
We are just not going to agree on this point.
I don't like censors, you do.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 12:01 AM   #74
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Children going to hear cursing in public, because there is no damn censors
So, it maybe a futile effort to protect your kids from bad words.
So, with that logic, let's extend this a bit. "Children in the South are going to hear KKK-level racism, because there are no damn censors. So it might be a futile effort to protect your kids from racist comments."
Just because they hear it out in 'the real world' doesn't mean I also want it coming through on my TV. If you want to hear swear words and see the full monty, buy cable. I want the option of having my TV programs be free of cuss words and naked people having sex while my kids are watching.
At some point, we have to have some rules for society to function. If you want to be a rebel, fine, but don't expect other people to accept it or be happy about it. You will experience consequences for that, whether or not it's 'right'. For instance, in my office, we're expected and required never to use swear words (at least in front of patients). If we use swear words, in essence saying 'screw the rules! I can do what I want!', we run the high risk of getting fired, because most people find expletives offensive, and offending our patients means they leave and never come back to give us business again. I guarantee you I'll never hire someone who comes into an interview with me and uses swear words, dresses provocatively, has poor hygiene, or has a rebellious attitude, because if they're doing it in the interview, they'll do it on the job, too. In the medical field, all of those are business-killers, and we can't afford to lose business so someone can 'express themselves'. Well, they can go 'express themselves' somewhere else.

You've said many times you don't want a censor on TV. So, _why_ don't you like them?
And why should my kids be exposed to corrupting influences when you can go on the internet and get your 'visual needs' fulfilled and hear all the cuss words you want? Why should I have to be exposed to obnoxious and offensive porn just so you can have some fun, when you have the opportunity to see/hear it in a zillion other outlets? Just put Eminem or one of the gangsta rap songs on your I-pod--you'll get all the f*** you's you want in life.
If you don't like the censors, don't watch those channels.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 AM   #75
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
So, with that logic, let's extend this a bit. "Children in the South are going to hear KKK-level racism, because there are no damn censors. So it might be a futile effort to protect your kids from racist comments."
Just because they hear it out in 'the real world' doesn't mean I also want it coming through on my TV. If you want to hear swear words and see the full monty, buy cable. I want the option of having my TV programs be free of cuss words and naked people having sex while my kids are watching.
At some point, we have to have some rules for society to function. If you want to be a rebel, fine, but don't expect other people to accept it or be happy about it. You will experience consequences for that, whether or not it's 'right'.
What are you mad with me, Jae?
It is my opinion, ok.
I'm not trying to corrupt your kids.
Why do I got to defend my own damn opinions?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
You've said many times you don't want a censor on TV. So, _why_ don't you like them?
I don't like censors on T.V. ok , Jae.
Also as I have already said, before it is more realisted that way.
So, if you continue to hate me, then fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
And why should my kids be exposed to corrupting influences when you can go on the internet and get your 'visual needs' fulfilled and hear all the cuss words you want? Why should I have to be exposed to obnoxious and offensive porn just so you can have some fun, when you have the opportunity to see/hear it in a zillion other outlets? Just put Eminem or one of the gangsta rap songs on your I-pod--you'll get all the f*** you's you want in life.
If you don't like the censors, don't watch those channels.
Damn girl, you seem to be really piss with me.
What did I do to you ?
It is my opinion, Jae.
Why are you saying I'm trying to corrupt your kids ?
Damn, can brother have his own opinions ?

Last edited by windu6; 11-22-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 12:53 AM   #76
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I have explain my reasons.
You have not explained your opinions. Have you shown me any logic to back them up? Have you said why they're more valid than mine or Jae's?

For nudity, you've even stated explaining is unnecessary my point exactly.

Searching 'porn' on Google should be more than adequate to supply your desires. Why you would want to show that on public TV I can't guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
It is my opinion, ok.
Welcome to the wonderful world of debate, windu6. In this magical realm, you will give your opinions and debate which one is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Why do I got to defend my own opinions?
This is a debate. The purpose of one is to argue your opinions, and have something to support them with. If you don't want to defend your opinions, you shouldn't be debating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I don't like censors on T.V. ok , Jae.
You've said that who knows how many times. But for once, could you go to the trouble of telling us why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
it is more realisted that way.
"Realisted"? If you mean "realistic" I fail to see why that matters. There are countless realistic things people wouldn't want to see. As she works in the medical field, Jae can probably confirm that. It has no bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Why are you saying I'm trying to corrupt your kids ?
Your views, if practiced, would have negative consequences for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Damn, can brother have his own opinions ?
"Brother" can have his opinions, though he shouldn't argue about them if he can't even explain why.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #77
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
You have not explained your opinions. Have you shown me any logic to back them up? Have you said why they're more valid than mine or Jae's?

For nudity, you've even stated explaining is unnecessary my point exactly.

Searching 'porn' on Google should be more than adequate to supply your desires. Why you would want to show that on public TV I can't guess.
Well, I if continue to explain my damn opinions, I will be look as a f**king pervert.
Won't I?
So the the hell with this discussion.
I'm done!

I'm going to go continue to work on my lightsaber physics idea.
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #78
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
What are you mad with me, Jae?
I'm not mad at you in the least. I just disagree with your opinion. Disagreement is not the same thing as anger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
It is my opinion, ok.
I'm not trying to corrupt your kids.
Allowing porn and an endless parade of swear words _would_ be a corrupting influence on my kids. I don't want them using cuss words more frequently than any other kind of word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Why do I got to defend my own damn opinions?
Because you started the thread. Surely you have a reason for not liking censors?
Saying 'I think spinach sucks' is my opinion. Stating 'I think spinach sucks because the smell makes my so nauseous I want to barf' is explaining why I don't like spinach. So why don't you like censors? What is it about censors that you find so objectionable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I don't like censors on T.V. ok , Jae.
Also as I have already said, before it is more realisted that way.
So, if you continue to hate me, then fine.
I don't hate you. I just want to understand how you developed your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Damn girl, you seem to really piss with me.
Well, Jimbo would be very upset if I went 'pissing' with another person, especially a man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Why are you saying I'm trying to corrupt your kids ?
Damn, can brother have his own opinions ?
You can have your opinions, but you need to also have a good reason for holding those opinions and be able to defend them.
Also, I'm not saying you are corrupting my kids. However, seeing sex, frank nudity, and hearing the f-bomb every third word is not good for my kids. They'll learn about sex when it's appropriate for them, not when the media decides it wants to titillate its audience for yet another buck of advertising items that have absolutely nothing to do with sex. They'll hear cuss words out in the real world, but they won't be using them at our house, at least not in my earshot, and they won't be getting additional and wholly unnecessary further exposure to it on TV.

The media industry has decided on a rating system, but someone has to enforce it so that I can trust that when a package or the warning at the beginning of a show says it doesn't have off-color language or naked people, that it really doesn't have those things. Otherwise, the rating is worthless.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #79
Windu Chi
Banned
 
Windu Chi's Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Getting revenge on that traitor, Anakin.
Posts: 882
Cool Guy

Quote:
Well, Jimbo would be very upset if I went 'pissing' with another person, especially a man.
Well, I meant piss off with me.
Made a error!
Windu Chi is offline   you may:
Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #80
MasterRoss08
Junior Member
 
MasterRoss08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 344
I think the FCC does a great job on stopping unessesary content put
in tv shows and all the like. I cant see why there is a problem of
limiting this content in the 1st place. Tv shows,movies etc take
content to far in my oppinion. And no I am not some kid either.
Im 18 and I have no care for that type on content whatsoever.
Is the FCC runned by the goverment? So if they are dont go blaming
them blame the goverment. Senetors,congressmen etc. I hardly here
words being bleeped out on alot of shows. (Dramas,comedies etc)
.If they do anything they edit
them.I do here bleeps on certain shows but that could be from the editors
that edited the show And it may not just be the fcc that enforces this either.
It could
be the tv stations, The people that actually taped these shows etc.

I cant see why cussing should get a free pass since it spouts words of hate
toward whoever there intended to and not Neo Nazis if you had your way
Windu.Not only does cussing aims hate at race but also religion and whoever
someone is aiming there curses at. Neo Nazis and cussing=same. Both
intend on offending such and such a person.


The Force is strong with this one!
Clans im in: JKLE(Jedi Knight and Mots)
TR ( Star Wars Battlefront2
Sites: www.Resistancegaming.net
http://members.lycos.co.uk/jkle/
MasterRoss08 is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Ok, what are y'all opinions on the FCC

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.