lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Twenty-Five Days
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #41
Digitaldreamer
Rookie

Wow. It's really finally Christmas Eve? That means after this there's only one more chapter...how crazy.

Well, it's the home stretch, I suppose. I hope you all enjoy the last two chapters.

Onward!

Day Twenty-Four: The Night Before

“Ahem.” Vernon cleared his throat. “Alright, so it's Christmas Eve, right? Like the night before Christmas, you know? So I'm going to tell a story about the night before Christmas, okay?”

“Alright, Vernon, we get it! Just get on with it!” Elka snapped. The campers were all gathered on the couches and Vernon stood at the center, prepared to tell his story.

Vernon snorted. “Alright, I'll start.” And thus, in his nasally voice, Vernon began to talk.

“Okay, so it was the night before Christmas, right? And all through Psychonauts HQ like, not a creature was stirring. Because, you know, it was Christmas Eve and everyone was at home. Even the mice were all quiet--”

“There are mice here!?” Elton exclaimed, his eyes widening. Milka hugged him closer and he relaxed again.

“Except not really because they were having a Christmas party with punch and food and there was a little mouse named Tim who wanted a Red Rider BB gun that his mom wouldn't let him have because she was afraid he would shoot his eye out. That reminds me of this one time when-”

“Vernon! Dude, focus!” Nils cried.

“Oh. Right, sorry guys. So I already mentioned how no one was at HQ, right?”

The other kids all nodded.

“Okay, so like, we were all going to bed, you know? Like, we were all in our pajamas, including Franke, who was in her really sexy purple night gown--”

“EEEWWW!” Kitty shrieked as Franke blushed and tried her best to cover up her smile at Vernon's compliment.

“And we were all snuggled in and ready to sleep, okay? And then out of nowhere there's this really loud noise. So I get up in my hot pajamas, which are gray and twenty percent cotton, and go look out to window to see what was making the noise, right? And there's this flying sleigh and these eight reindeer, and this big fat guy who looks a lot like my Uncle Charlie. He wasn't drunk like my Uncle Charlie though, or at least I don't think he was. So anyway, he starts calling the reindeer names, like Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixon. He calls some other ones Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen. I think those are kind of stupid names, not like my dog--”

“We've already heard about your dog, man! Just get on with the story!” Chops cried.

“Oh, right, okay. So the sleigh and the reindeer land on the roof, and I can hear the reindeer jumping up and down on the ceiling...”

As Vernon spoke, there were several thuds on the ceiling, which caused all the campers to jump.

“Tarnation! I coulda sworn I just heard somethin' land on the roof!” JT cried.

“Wow! Vernon sure is a great storyteller!” Clem cheered.

Vernon beamed. “I know I am, right? So anyway, I turn around, and the fat guy who looks like my Uncle Charlie comes sliding down the chimney! He was carrying around this big bag of presents and everything, it was very cool.”

Everyone was so focused on Vernon's story by this point that they took no notice of their own fireplace. This was really a shame, because if they had they would have seen a tall man in a bright red suit with white trim come sliding down, a large sack slung across his back.

“So I stared at the guy and he winked at me, not a sexy wink because that would be creepy, but just to let me know that I wasn't in trouble. Then he turns around and starts putting all these presents under the Christmas tree...”

As Vernon spoke, the man in red turned around and began doing just that, stowing brightly wrapped package after package under the tree.

Unfortunately for him, not everyone was paying attention to Vernon's story.

Without warning, there was a sudden click. The man in red and white then glanced up to find himself facing the barrels of three paint ball guns.

Bobby grinned from behind his. “Gotcha, fat boy.”

With that, they all fired.

The man in red stumbled back, trying to shield himself from an onslaught of eggs. Meanwhile, upon hearing the guns go off, all of the campers panicked and dove under tables and chairs, screaming at the top of their lungs.

“AHHH! IT'S THE CHRISTMAS SLASHER, HERE TO KILL US ALL!” Elka shrieked.

“NO, IT'S THE KRAKEN! THE KRAAAAAAKEEEEEEEEN!” Elton exclaimed.

“WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!” Kitty sobbed.

After a few minutes the kids had finally stopped screaming, leaving no sound save for several empty clicks as Bobby, Benny, and Chloe continued pulling their triggers.

“Awww. Damn, I'm out of ammo.” Bobby cursed.

“Me too.” Benny sighed.

“It's fine.” Chloe stated. “We were able to bring the fat man down with the primitive earth weapons.” With that, she tossed her paintball gun aside and walked up to the egg splattered Santa, eyes narrowed from behind her space helmet.

“Alright fat boy, your cookie stealing days are over!” She declared.

“Yeah!” Bobby grinned, walking up as well. “Now let's see who you really are!” With that, he pulled away Santa's beard, only to reveal...

“...Mr.Cruller!?” Elton sputtered from where he was peeking over the top of the couch.

Indeed, the one who Bobby, Benn,y and Chloe had pelted with eggs was none other than Ford Cruller, clad in a Santa suit and hat.

“What? Who's that?” Ford asked, blinking in confusion.

“Um...that's you, sir.” Chops said slowly.

“What? No it's not! I'm Santa Clause!” Ford exclaimed.

The kids all gaped at him in shock.

“...What?”

“You heard me! You know, Old St.Nick?” Ford snapped as he got to his feet and brushed some of the egg off of himself. “And it seems I didn't check the list nearly as much as I should have...if I had, I woulda known that this place was full of kids who oughta be on the naughty list.” He growled, glaring at Bobby, Benny, and Chloe.

Chloe blinked in confusion. “...'Naughty' list?” She repeated, confused.

“You bet.” Ford muttered grimly. “Although don't worry, little girl, you don't count since you didn't know any better. These two, however...” He fixed a glare on Bobby and Benny.

Bobby scowled at him, crossing his arms. “You really think you're Santa Clause? What an idiot, huh Benny?”

Benny was still stuck just gaping at the man whom they had just egged.

“So...did you bring presents for all of us...er...Santa?” Kitty asked.

“I was kinda wondering if I got something too.” Dogen muttered, scratching his head and staring down at his feet.

“Ooohh, yes! Did you bring presents? I've been wanting some new drums!” Phoebe exclaimed.

“Presents would be pretty chill...” Quentin drawled.

“Hey guys, what about my story!?” Vernon demanded, apparently annoyed with being ignored.

Ford scowled. “You really think I'm going to tell you all what you got? No way! That's against protocol!”

“Awwww, come on, man!” Nils cried. “Give us the goods!”

“No! Now you all--”

“Oh my God!” Elka, whom had snuck past Ford and opened his sack, screamed. “Crystal!? What are you doing in there!?”

Indeed, as Elka spoke Crystal hopped out of “St.Nick's” sack with a cheer. “Whoo! Christmas, Christmas!” She cheered, her red ponytail flopping wildly around as she jumped up and down.

“Crystal!” Clem exclaimed, rushing over and throwing his arms around her. Crystal hugged him back, still beaming.

“Huh, I thought things seemed kinda quiet around here...” Nils commented.

“Heeeeeeeeey it's the cheerleader dudette! What's up?” Quentin asked, waving. “But...seriously, how did you get here?”

Crystal paused in her hugging of Clem to blink in confusion. “I have no idea~! See, I was all set to jump off the bridge and all when this angel named Steve came out of nowhere and told me life was worth living! So then I was running around, all panicked because it was Christmas Eve and I didn't know how I was going to get here, and then the next thing I know Mr.Cruller comes out of nowhere and offers to give me a lift. So here I am!” She finished her explanation with a grin.

Silence for a moment.

“Oookaaaaaay then.” Chops said slowly.

“Well, I reckon that's good enough for me!” JT said.

“Yaaaaay~!” Both Clem and Crystal cheered.

Vernon stood there, hands on his hips. “Hey, hey everyone! What about my story!?”

It was then that Ford cleared his throat, causing everyone to stare up at him. “Alright kids, you've had your reunion, come on now. I've got work to do, you know? You'd better get to bed so you can open your presents tomorrow! ...If you get any.” He added, glaring at Bobby and Benny.

“Uh...ehehe...um...come on boss, I'm uh...bushed! Let's get to bed, ahaha...” Benny said weakly before turning and running away.

“What!? Benny, don't tell me you actually actually believe in...” Bobby trailed off, staring at Ford for a moment. Then he turned and followed his lackey to their room as quickly as he could.

“What about my story!?” Vernon cried again. Everyone ignored him.

“Well, he's got a point...we really should be hitting the sack, eh?” Chops asked. The other kids all gave murmurs of agreement and stumbled towards their rooms.

“But but...hey, listen to my story everyone!” Vernon cried, chasing after them. “So um...then St. Nick gets back to work...”

Ford chuckled, shaking his head, and quickly turned to finish placing his presents under the tree.

“And then he grabs his bag and goes back to the chimney, right?”

The old man then closed his sack and threw it over his shoulder, waddling over to the chimney.

“Then he puts his finger next to his nose and he just floats right up the chimney!”

With a jolly laugh Ford did just that, vanishing in the wink of an eye.

“And then he gets in his sleigh and they all fly away! And the last thing he says is...”

There was a great thundering on the roof as eight sets of hooves began to run. Then there was a scraping noise, followed by the jingle of bells and another laugh that caused the kids to all hang out their windows and gape at the sight. Indeed, there was a sleigh, with eight reindeer (likely from Whispering Rock, since they seemed to be glowing) pulling it along. There on the back was Ford, urging the reindeer on and laughing. The last thing they heard before he was gone was...

“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”

---

To Be Continued...

“Raz,” Oleander groaned. “How many times do I have to tell you? You don't have to sneak in here past security every time you come anymore! You can just come in through the gate! You know, like everyone else?”

“Oh, I know. I just like this way better.”

--Cursum Perficio, chapter two, by Digitaldreamer.
Digitaldreamer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #42
Digitaldreamer
Rookie

Well, this is it. The last chapter of Twenty-Five Days, which I am currently typing on only about two hours of sleep. Allergies are not your friend. The good news is I'm pretty sure it's scientifically proven that you don't need sleep on Christmas, so it's all good. I hope this will be a pleasant addition to your holiday, and if it isn't...well, I apologize. I've tried my best, though, and hopefully it came out okay in the end. Consider this the finale of my little gift to the entire fandom.

Um...right, well...onward!

Day Twenty-Five: The Best Christmas Ever?

“Ten...nine...eight...seven...six...five...four... three...two....ONE!”

The campers all gave a simultaneous hoot of utter glee as the numbers on the digital clock switched from 12:59 to 1:00 AM. While they had planned on running out to the presents the very moment it was Christmas, the agents whom had been stuck watching them had forbidden them from waking them at midnight. Thus, the most obvious thing to do had been to wait a whole extra hour. That extra hour had been torture, but at last, the wait was over.

Of course, none of them had slept a wink, but everyone knows you don't need sleep on Christmas.

The kids let forth a battlecry as they all burst from their rooms and rushed down the hallway, waking most of the agents in the building and passing some of the ones who were completely smashed and just getting to bed. They all stumbled into the common room, jaws dropping at the sight before them.

Presents! Presents everywhere, as far as the eye could see! Great boxes tied with ribbons, small packages with bows, piles and piles here and there, gathered under the tree, a cornucopia of shimmering, Christmassy glory.

“...Wow.” Chops managed to get out.

“YEAH! PRESENTS!” Benny cheered, rushing towards the gifts.

That was all it took. With a roar the kids all charged, sorting through package after package in an attempt to find what was theirs as the regular agents stared at them blearily from the hallway.

“Oh, wow!” Phoebe exclaimed. “New drums!”

“I can dig this...” Quentin drawled as he ran his fingers over his new green and red scarf.

“Oh my God! A cheering outfit!” Crystal screamed, hugging her present to her. “Yay, Christmas!”

“Yeah, yeah! Yay, Christmas!” Clem agreed as he held up his own cheering outfit.

Franke just let out a squeal as she hugged her new designer boots, Kitty grinning beside her with her own, only slightly snazzier pair.

“Hmmm...a pin stripe suit? Very nice.” Maloof commented as he held up the suit.

“Mikhail thought so. Got in Russia.” Mikhail explained as he squeezed his bear shaped stress ball.

Elton and Milka were too busy with the effects of some mistletoe to really go too crazy over their gifts. Elka watched them with a sigh for a moment, then turned to Nils. “Oh Nils, why don't we find some mistletoe too?”

Nils just groaned, hiding his face in the new hoodie he had gotten.

“Oooh, new hockey gear!” Chops said.

“Hmm...I gotta admit, this new hat is mighty stylish...” JT commented as he pushed up the rim of his new cowboy hat.

“Oh wow...” Vernon mumbled in monotone. “A journal to write my experiences in. How exciting. It reminds me of that one Christmas when...”

“What the...I got coal!?” Benny sputtered, eyes widening as he stared at the dismal lump in his hand.

“I...didn't?” Bobby mumbled, blinking in confusion at his new Metallica CD.

Chloe just smiled from where she was paging through her new book, “Light Speed Space Travel for Dummies”.

Indeed, almost all of the campers seemed happy on this wondrous morning. However, there was one whom wasn't so happy, and that was of course our own Lili Zanotto. The brunette sat curled up in an arm chair in the corner, playing absently with the new clothes she had gotten, a far-away look in her amber eyes.

“Lili? Don't you like your present from Santa?” Dogen asked as he waddled over. He was wearing a new, fuzzy hat over his usual tinfoil one and seemed quite taken with it.

“Huh?” Lili glanced up, then forced a small smile. For most she wouldn't even do that, but she liked Dogen, at least. “Oh, yeah...it's great...”

Dogen watched her a moment. “Sad that Raz isn't here?”

Lili snorted. “Me? Sad? No, of course not, why should I be?” She muttered, eyes narrowing. “It's not like it's any different from all my other Christmases...”

“Oh...” Dogen glanced down at his feet and scratched his head. “Well, don't worry, we still have twenty-three hours...maybe he'll get here still.”

The brunette let out a long sigh. “Dogen, they said on the news there's a blizzard going on up there. They aren't letting any planes take off.”

Dogen's face fell. “Oh...”

They sat in silence for a moment. Then Lili sighed, sitting up. “Don't worry about it, okay Dogen? You just go enjoy your holiday.” She said, forcing another smile.

The small boy watched her in silence for a moment. Then he sighed, his shoulders slumped, and he turned to walk away. “'Kay, Lili...but if you need anything, just ask.”

“I will.” Lili called after him. Once she was sure Dogen was occupied again she slumped into her seat with a dejected sigh. “Stupid Christmas...God, I hate this holiday.” She muttered, pulling her knees up to her chest and burying her face in them.

“Geez, you really shouldn't worry so much. There are ways to travel besides planes you know, contrary to popular belief.” A voice suddenly spoke from behind her.

Lili's eyes widened as she sat straight up. “What...” She turned, only to find herself staring into a pair of jade green eyes. “...Raz?” She gasped.

Raz's smile cracked into a grin the moment she turned, his nose, cheeks, and ears still tinted pink from the cold outside, snow melting where it had landed in his hair, his red goggles hanging around his neck. A simple, festive red Santa hat had been placed upon his head. “Merry Christmas, Lili.”

“Oh my God...Raz!” Lili screamed, leaping over the back of the chair she had been sitting in and throwing her arms around him. “You came...you came!” She cried, her voice muffled by the material that made up his jacket.

“ACK!” Raz yelped as he stumbled backwards, only just barely able to keep himself upright. He then let out a laugh, hugging Lili back. “Of course I did. What did you expect?”

“You came...” The brunette repeated, hugging him even tighter. “Oh God...I didn't think you would...the snow..and...and...you came...”

“Well, someone certainly seems happy, right darling?” Milla spoke up from the doorway, her arm entwined in Sasha's.

“Yes...though somehow I feel as if I should be much more surprised that the children were all up at this hour...” Sasha muttered.

Truman just chuckled, shaking his head.

Lili glanced up to see the three standing there, her eyes widening. “Milla, Sasha...dad? You all...you all came?”

“Why, of course we did, sweetie!” Milla giggled. “Did you really think we would miss Christmas here with all of you?”

“Well...but...how?” Lili wondered, pulling away from Raz and gazing into his eyes.

Raz chuckled, scratching his head. “Well...uh...I'm not so sure how to explain this...the snow knocked most of the power lines out, so we couldn't exactly call the agency for help. So I was just wondering what to do...and then this sleigh just comes out of nowhere! It was really weird...but it wasn't Santa in the sleigh, it was Agent Cruller! Granted, he was fully convinced he was Santa...” The boy trailed off a moment, brow furrowing in confusion. “I have no idea what was up with that.”

Sasha shook his head. “Apparently it's one of his other personalities, it only comes up Christmas Eve,”

“Really?” Raz blinked. “Huh, how weird...so anyway, it took some begging, but we all finally managed to get him to give us a lift! So we all got in the sleigh and he dropped us off at HQ...”

“And while we there, darling, we decided it was about time we convinced your father to take a bit of a vacation.” Milla added, smiling.

“Yeah! So we got him to come, and then we all came here...and well, you know the rest.” Raz finished, still grinning.

Lili stared at him in silence for a moment. Then she started laughing. First she was giggling, then chuckling, and then she was throwing her head back and laughing so hard that tears came to her eyes.

Raz's brow furrowed. “What's so funny?”

“It's...” Lili choked out between giggles. “It's just...so...weird! And yet to us it seems so perfectly normal...it's just...it's funny!”

The goggle-headed boy stared at her for another moment. Then he started laughing too. “I...I guess it is!” He said with a grin, leaning so his forehead was pressed against hers as the two laughed together, supporting each other to keep them both from collapsing to the ground in fits of giggles.

The two stood like that for a minute before they finally sobered up enough to catch their breath, both breathing heavily. “Here...” Raz panted out, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the green box. “I got you something...” His face spread into a grin. “From your secret Santa.”

“Oh...” Lili blinked, then smiled and nodded as she took the gift. “It's not anything cheesy and stupid, is it?”

Raz snorted. “Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You'll just have to open it and see, now won't you?”

The brunette rolled her eyes and bopped her boyfriend lightly on the head, then opened the box. Her eyes widened in shock. “Oh my God...” She murmured, reaching into the box and taking out a single, perfect flower made of glass. It was placed on a single, simple reflective stand. And there, inscribed upon it, were three simple words.

“I love you.” Lili read aloud, tracing the words with her fingertips.

“Well, I knew you liked flowers, so...yeah...” Raz blushed, shuffling his feet. “I know it's kind of cheesy, but--”

Lili set the glass flower aside, throwing her arms around her boyfriend yet again. “This is the cheesiest, stupidest, most thoughtful gift anyone's ever given me...you stupid idiot...thank you.” She cried out.

While most people would have been offended, Raz just chuckled, hugging her back. “You're welcome.”

After a few moments Lili finally pulled away, glancing at the tree. “Here...” She said, levitating over the last package that had been left under the tree. “I got this for you. I hope you like it, I went through a lot to get it.” She said, handing it to him.

Raz blinked, then tore it open. Upon seeing what it was he let out a fanboy squeal. “OH MY GOD! ISSUE 25! YOU CAN'T GET THIS ANYWHERE, NOT EVEN ON EBAY!” He exclaimed.

“I know.” Lili grinned.

“Oh man...but...how did you...oh my GOD Lili you are awesome!” Raz cried.

Sure, Raz may have been a Psychonaut now, but we all know he's still a comic book fanboy at heart.

Lili giggled. “Glad you like it.” She said, giving him another hug.

It was then that the other occupants of the room finally decided to make themselves known with several coughs and clearings of the throat. Both Raz and Lili turned and blinked to see that everyone was grinning at them.

Lili blinked. “Why are you all looking at us like that?”

Chops grinned. “Look where you're standing, eh?"

Both Raz and Lili blinked again, then glanced up to see a sprig of mistletoe hanging above them.

“...Um...” Raz flushed, his face becoming redder than his goggle lenses. “Does...this mean we have to...uh...”

“Oh, how romantic!” Elka gasped. “Even for losers like you, there's possiblities!”

“Yeah! Raz, give the little lady a kiss!” JT called.

“But...in front of you all?” Raz gasped.

“Go on Raz! Kiss her!” Elton cheered, raising his glass of eggnog high.

“Um...” Raz gulped, turning back to Lili, whom was still blinking up at the mistletoe. “So...uh...”

“Wow. This is like, the most cliché thing ever.” Lili commented.

Raz gave a nervous laugh. “Aha...yeah...well, maybe we should just--” He was them cut off as Lili quite suddenly grabbed him by the front of the shirt, pulling him closer.

“It wouldn't be cliché if it wasn't good all the other times it happened.” She whispered, amber eyes gazing deeply into jade.

Raz flushed. “I...guess you're right...” He smiled, leaning closer.

With that, the two kissed.

“Oh, how adorable~!” Milla squealed amongst the many flashes and clicks from various cell phones and digital cameras that had been whipped out of seemingly nowhere. “Aren't they cute, Sasha?”

“Yes, young love. Quite possibly the stupidest thing on the planet.” Sasha murmured dryly, though he was smiling as he folded his arms before him.

“I cannot believe my own daughter is already doing this at the age of ten...” Truman muttered, putting his face in his hands, and thus shielding himself from the sight of Elton and Milka still making out passionately on the couch.

“Whoo! Go Raz! Go Lili!” Clem and Crystal cheered.

Finally, Lili and Raz parted, smiles spread on both of their faces.

“Wow...” Lili murmured.

Raz grinned. “So...what do you think?”

Lili blinked in confusion. “Huh?”

“I promised I would make this the Best Christmas Ever for you, remember?” Raz asked, his grin widening. “So...did I?”

Lili stared at him for a moment. Then, without warning, he reached up, grabbed the front of Raz's Santa hat, and pulled it down over his eyes.

“Ack! Hey!” Raz cried, pawing at his face in an attempt to push back his hat. His girlfriend laughed once more, hugging him closer.

“Idiot. Of course you did...you've never broken a promise to me before, why would you start now?” She said, voice muffled by the material of Raz's jacket again.

Raz pushed his hat back up and blinked down at her for a moment. Then he laughed, hugging her back once more.

“I guess you're right. Merry Christmas, Lili.”

“Merry Christmas, Raz.”

It really was the Best Christmas Ever.

---

-The End-

Hey everyone! This is Digitaldreamer, and I'd like to take this time to thank you for reading through this whole thing! It's been insane to type, but it's been an adventure. There have definitely been points where I just wanted to quit, where I hated this fic and wanted it to die, as I'm sure all my buddies on IM would testify to if you asked them. But...well, I pulled through, and for that I am glad.

Thank you so much, each and every one of you who reviewed this, and even those who didn't. I can only assume if you're reading this you've read each and every chapter, and I thank you for that. I know some of them weren't the best, but as long as you all enjoyed it, I'm happy.

After this I'm going back to my usual schedule, meaning my other Psychonauts fanfic, Cursum Perficio, will be getting new updates every Sunday, starting the thirty-first. I figured hey, we'd end this year and start off the new one with a bang, ne? I hate to self-plug, but if you haven't read it yet, I encourage you to check it out. It's totally different from this one (a hell of a lot more drama and angst for one thing) but I truly think it's my best work. If any of you would like to read it and leave a review, I'd be honored.

...and I'm sure a good portion of you are cheering that I won't be updating and spamming everyone's forums/fanfiction pages/LiveJournal friends lists so much, but whatever.

Um, right, anyway...so, here ends Twenty Five Days. I hope you all enjoyed it, and if you could just stop and leave a review to let me know what you thought of this fic as a whole, I'd be ecstatic. Feedback means more to me than any other gift I could receive.

So, on that note, I'll end this by saying...

Thank you all so much! Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays!

Love,

Digitaldreamer

“Raz,” Oleander groaned. “How many times do I have to tell you? You don't have to sneak in here past security every time you come anymore! You can just come in through the gate! You know, like everyone else?”

Old 12-26-2006, 02:18 AM   #43
Miss_Mayhem

Oh. Me. Oh. My! I stayed up till 3 AM yesterday since my family (and many of hispanic descent) celebrate the holidays on the 24th, Christmas Eve, to countdown to Christmas day. Not the best and not the worst of the 14 festivities I've gone through in my life ([grumble]I could have gotten better presents[/grumble]) so as I blearily trudged to my soft and warm bed, one of the last things to cross my mind before controlled thought and logic gave way to nonsense and dreamscapes was, "I hope Digi updated '25 Days' ..."

'25 days' is the culmination of alot of hard work on your part, obviously it's a challenge to write consistently good material on such a short time limit; school and sleep dont make the job much easier. For that I give you some mad propz. You deserve it. I know few people that could do that. I for sure would be blurting out crap on my 6th day! The writing is sublime and dripping with wit and charm and spades upon spades of detail, the premise unique and enticing, the characterization of DF's IP's top-notch and it really shows you what The Holidays are about. The chapters was also just an excellent way to end thngs.

Ever present in the fic's margins is the collective dream of millions of what the Holidays should really be like. Friends, family, presents you like, Christmas miracles and the childlike wonder of the season most of us lose by the age of 10. A good many of us can not imagine Christmas without the gross commercialization, for many of us it's a picturesque fantasy bound to the realm of wonder and picture books and Christmas cards from a time forgotten. And it's also rather true that by this point, the commercialization seems like a neccesary aspect of the semi-religious holiday we need to enjoy it, though all at once we are aware that it is robbing us of that magic so much earlier than before it became so common. '25 Days' wisks us back to a state of mind where the reader is like a child again, fully engaged in the whimsy of the season in a sophisticated manner.

Even if it was for just a while, and a reality simply so distant at this point, '25 Days' was an utterly charming reverie that lifted spirits and showed us the ideal way to celebrate the Holiday. And now we have to face a much less sweet and charming reality; one of debt and annoying younger relatives and dissapointing gifts and that simply isn't as much fun. But you made the ride a smoother, more pleasent one, Digi. We can only hope that others decide to embrace the spirit and contribute next time 'round.

The Festivities with me and the family may have been done with yesterday, leaving me to web surf in a rather unceremonious and anticlimactic manner, but you are fully enthralled in the Christmas celebrations right now, so I hope your reality is as nice as what you've created in your story. Take this very long winded review as my present, Digi ... MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Miss_Mayhem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 AM   #44
Digitaldreamer
Rookie

Oh my. o_o Um...wow, thank you very, very much. I sure as hell wasn't expecting that...my Christmas ended about three hours ago, but that made one hell of a birthday gift. Sheesh, sounds like an actual book review, something my writing hardly deserves...

Well...I wish I could leave just as long and eloquent of a reply, but...well, I'm still running on two hours of sleep, so I'll settle for this; Thank you very much, I'm honored. *bows*

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Sasha's Role-Playing Experiments > Twenty-Five Days