lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Vessel Names
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Vessel Names

Okay, we have a threat for names of characters, but I'm having an issue in a fic I just started naming my main character's ship. Any thoughts?

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
KotO[REvan]

Helpful! 
Well usually the ship's name is of some similarity to the character's personality and/or alignment. Or, that's how I base it. Hope that helps.

KotO[REvan] is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Anakin Skywalker
Argetlam

Helpful! 
LS Vessel: no clue right now.... gimme a few minutes and I may have one

DS Vessel: The Deathstriker

also IMO, this should be a sticky now..... as it's like the one for the Character names...

@Pottsie (below)

there are a few people who need names for new vessels though... so they wind up using a vessel that they actually know about....
Anakin Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
No, I don't think it should be a sticky. Otherwise nearly every topic, including my Writer's Block topic would be a sticky. Usually, some vessels have names from birds, like eagles and hawks. Hope this helps.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
also IMO, this should be a sticky now..... as it's like the one for the Character names...
Since we now have a resource subforum, I don't have to sticky resource threads anymore, so it'll be an ordinary thread. The name thread won't be a sticky once it's here, either.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Actually, the ''Name problems'' thread isn't just for characters. As the first post clearly states, it's for everything, so don't hesitate to ask there for help.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
For vessels, a good place to look is at named vessels in history. Sometimes they are named after a person, other times it reflects a personality or some key trait of one of your characters. More often there is a feminine ring to the names since sailors used to refer to the sea as a 'she' and they probably still do. Don't ask me why but I assume it's like a guy naming their car after a girl like Suzie or something.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Frequently naming conventions for ships are going to depend on the type of ship. Ships and vessels that are generally flagships for a fleet or for a new line of ships tend to have much more eleborate or noticable names. Such as "Malak's Revenge", or "Revan's Redemption". Meanwhile names for lesser ships will have simpler names named after avians for spacecraft. Such as "Ebon Hawk" or "Melinnium Falcon". There are many other naming conventions out there that can be too numerous too list. The worst part is that ship names find re-use through out history. Such as "Enterprise" is used in Star Trek, the name having a long nautical history.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
If you can't think up anything meaningful, go for alien languages. The Republic Assault Ship in my fic, Invisible Hope was to be named "The Shredder", but I thought it would be sort of cliched, and perhaps stupid. I changed it to "The Shred'da" Remember - creativity is the essence of Star Wars.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2007, 04:16 AM   #10
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Millenium Hawk? Ebon Falcon?

Okay they're pretty poor, but you could call it Typhoon for a ship of the Ebon Hawk's size, or a capital ship could be called Admiral Tumel or something like that.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Sometimes catch phrases work as well. I once called a ship the "Jolly Roger." Obvious that has pirate or something else reference but things like that help.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
Anglu
Rookie

Well if you think about all those tips and still have no idea, just think about the various SciFi Films and Series. Maybe there's a Ship you like and you can imagine to name your vessel after it. I also like to do that (NOT Enterprize *lol*).

There's no life before coffee...

And if you find any mistakes of writing, typing or translating, you may keep them.
Anglu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
How about the ship's function in the plot?

Generic military ships-in-the-fleet tend to have names to do with aggression (surprisingly).

Things like Vengeance, Invincible, Juno's Wrath are all acceptable and in the right vein.

Commercial naming conventions are a little more loose, AFAIK.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Coruscant Entertainment Centre > The Resource Centre > Vessel Names