lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Wars The Force Awakens MNF Trailer
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
milestails
@milestails
Forumite

Star Wars The Force Awakens MNF Trailer

For those who were watching Monday Night Football, they premiered a new trailer for Ep. VII. Here it is:

View page
YouTube Video
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
Shem
@Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran!  Veteran Modder  Notable contributor  Hot Topic Starter 
I saw it when it aired. It was f'ing awesome!

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Last edited by Shem; 10-21-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #3
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
@JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Mixed grief over invalidated EU characters, and conservative excitement for new movies

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran!  Forum Veteran  Notable contributor  LF Jester 
The TIE Fighters shoot backwards.

lynkformer.com | starwarsgamer.com

STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC: THE FORMER LEGACY
Ch1 | Ch2 | Ch3 | Ch4 coming soon...
Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 05:24 AM   #5
Red Hessian
@Red Hessian

Current Game: Shadowrun Hong Kong
More than half the trailer is made up of explosions. I hope that won't be the case with the films.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
The stillness in the storm
Silence hides the sniper

Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Alexrd
@Alexrd

Current Game: Watch Dogs
Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
Meh. The music was nice though.

Star Wars: In Concert | Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Prime
@Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

10 year veteran!  LF Jester  Veteran Modder  Helpful! 
I'm so hyped!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
deathdisco
@deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder  Contest winner - Modding 
Is it just me or does it not look like a Star Wars movie?
Use different ships and it would look like any other modern sci-fi flick.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Carwil
@Carwil

Current Game: Battlefront
I'm pleased to say that this trailer looks rip! Anyone planning to buy tickets in advance?

Jar Jar was a masterstroke of directorial brilliance who adds volumes to the prequels.

Carwil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #10
acdcfanbill
@acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member  The Walking Carpets Guild Member  LFN Staff Member  10 year veteran! 
Still hate that stupid saber

I guess I must be getting old, all I feel toward the new Star Wars now is apprehension.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Canderis
@Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
LFN Staff Member  Veteran Modder  Helpful! 
I am beyond excited for this. My expectations are set probably too high now.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Carwil
@Carwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill View Post
Still hate that stupid saber

I guess I must be getting old, all I feel toward the new Star Wars now is apprehension.
I share your sentiments. My feelings are ambivalent: while I'm excited for a new chapter in the Star Wars saga and the new stories the upcoming movies will tell, I can't shake an underlying sense of dread that Disney will flanderize these new movies out to eight-year-olds (i.e. do what Disney does best). I've already seen their insidious advertising and merchandise licensing campaigns at work.

Jar Jar was a masterstroke of directorial brilliance who adds volumes to the prequels.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Jae Onasi
@Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
10 year veteran!  Alderaan News Holopics contributor  Helpful!  LucasCast staff 
I hate the stupid saber, too, having actually wielded REAL swords. I'm still excited, however, and I'm not sad at all that the Vong are gone.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
igyman
@igyman
Comedy Gold!

Current Game: Overwatch
Forum Veteran  Helpful!  Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yup, I'm in the apprehensive crowd too. I really hope this will be good, but with Abrams as a director, it can go either way. Unfortunately, this trailer shows that he just couldn't help it and had to add a lens flare or two. Again, hopefully the overall product is something good and entertaining.

P.S. the saber the villain uses is still friggin' ridiculous and that mask he wears looks like a cheap plastic knock-off of the Sith mask worn in the CGI intro for TOR. Very uninspired.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Trailers are deceptive.

I'm in the "wait and see the actual damn movie before I think anything one way or the other" crowd.

I mean, come on, we have no context for anything we're seeing on-screen yet.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #16
Carwil
@Carwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I hate the stupid saber, too, having actually wielded REAL swords. I'm still excited, however, and I'm not sad at all that the Vong are gone.
I, too, was initially opposed to the redesigned lightsaber (I presume you're referring to the crossguard on the Sith Lord's weapon?). However, after careful reevaluation of my opinion, I think it actually gives the weapon a more medieval feel, which is fitting in a way, as the Jedi Knights in many respects are reminiscent of the Teutonic Knights of the Middle Ages. It certainly wouldn't be the first callback to the classics I've observed in Star Wars: the whole inner turmoil thing Luke experiences as he treads dangerously closer to the dark side, culminating in Palpatine urging him to strike down Vader in Return of the Jedi? It's a textbook example of a Sophoclean tragedy...being cyclical, the son repeating the mistakes of his father...

Literary tangents aside, it's the Star Wars equivalent of a Claymore sword, so there's the cool factor as well.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #17
Shem
@Shem
Master of the Force

Got my tickets last night:

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Old 10-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
Carwil
@Carwil

Oh, man, sick.

How much they running for, Shem?

Old 10-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #19
milestails
@milestails
Forumite

Right on!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
MrV1ndictive
@Taak Farst
Rossi '46

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Forum Veteran  Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I too am apprehensive. I have bought my tickets and will be happily going to see it, but whether I expect it to be good is another matter. I can't shake the feeling that this feels like a license cash in. It doesn't even look like a Star Wars film, and they've thrown in a bunch of TIE Fighters and X-Wing just to remind you that it IS Star Wars. Same goes for the music too.

Honestly, I'd LOVE for this to be good, but they'd have to have a pretty good excuse in the story for this to exist. For those like me that never bothered with the EU, Episode 6 resolved pretty much everything. The new super-death star 3.0 makes me cringe too.
Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
Carwil
@Carwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
I too am apprehensive. I have bought my tickets and will be happily going to see it, but whether I expect it to be good is another matter. I can't shake the feeling that this feels like a license cash in. It doesn't even look like a Star Wars film, and they've thrown in a bunch of TIE Fighters and X-Wing just to remind you that it IS Star Wars. Same goes for the music too.

Honestly, I'd LOVE for this to be good, but they'd have to have a pretty good excuse in the story for this to exist. For those like me that never bothered with the EU, Episode 6 resolved pretty much everything. The new super-death star 3.0 makes me cringe too.
I pretty much figure that's the whole reason they bought out Uncle George, because I can't see Disney wanting to own Star Wars for the chump change that EU novels were bringing in. Forget gaming, too, since all their plots went into the same trash compactor as the EU.

At the end of the day, Disney knows that it doesn't really matter if the story is harmonious within the framework of the other six movies, because they know that fans will pay to see it anyways, because it's Star Wars.

Oh, well. If I don't like Episode VII, I won't go to see VIII or IX.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Canderis
@Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
LFN Staff Member  Veteran Modder  Helpful! 
I have a very different mindset for all this, maybe because I grew up in the prequel generation of Star Wars.
When I say Episode 1 was a bad movie, I don't really mean bad. It was a bad Star Wars movie, but it was still a great movie in my opinion. I don't think this could possibly be any worse than the prequels, and based on the Star Trek movies Abrams made, I think this will end up being better than any of the George directed movies. (Because everyone knows Empire was not George and it turned out better)
It seems like it's going to be grittier, and more realistic, but I personally see that as a positive thing. Star Wars always had a bit of a plasticy feel to it for me, and this might be what it needs to get rid of that. I only wish that Abrams was going to do remakes of the prequels, but one can only hope I guess.
And to me, that trailer did exactly what I hoped, make the movie look incredible, but tell us absolutely nothing about the plot because I want to be completely in the dark going to see it, but I can't help myself but to watch the trailers.

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
Carwil
@Carwil

I agree, Abrams' Star Trek reboots were sick, even coming from someone who has no experience with Star Trek outside of the Abrams movies. Having also grown up in the prequel generation, I can draw some definite parallels between Episodes I, II, and III and the upcoming Episode VII. For starters, Episode VII is much more reminiscent of the Clone Wars in the sense that it takes place during a full-fledged war, rather than just following the Rebels' hit-and-run tactics and Luke's confrontations with Vader. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but there's a markedly new feel to these movies; it almost reminds me of TOR in the sense of the conflict being between the Republic proper and an evil empire spearheaded by the Sith. I will also be supremely intrigued to see how the introduction of two new characters works out in the plot, although I certainly hope Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and the droids didn't get sh*t-canned in terms of screen time.

Aside: having watched Episode II at a young age, I never understood at the time why it's so unpopular with fans, but I understand a lot of it has to do with the beginning of the Clone Wars serving as a vehicle for the exposition of the goofy love story between Anakin and Padme.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #24
Alexrd
@Alexrd

Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
(Because everyone knows Empire was not George and it turned out better)
Empire was George's, just like any of the six movies. To ignore is huge involvement in the movie just because he didn't direct it is erroneous.

And I wish this movie was as original and bold as the prequels. Unfortunately all we get is nostalgia driven fan fiction made by people pretentious enough to think they know better (along with a ridiculous marketing campaign). I won't give them any of my money. Had they handled things differently and more respectfully, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt.

Star Wars: In Concert | Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #25
Carwil
@Carwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Empire was George's, just like any of the six movies. To ignore is huge involvement in the movie just because he didn't direct it is erroneous.

And I wish this movie was as original and bold as the prequels. Unfortunately all we get is nostalgia driven fan fiction made by people pretentious enough to think they know better (along with a ridiculous marketing campaign). I won't give them any of my money. Had they handled things differently and more respectfully, I would have given them the benefit of the doubt.
You make some strong arguments, and I'm not at all inclined to disagree with them. Out of curiosity, though, why do you call Disney's marketing campaign ridiculous? I mean, the trailers appeared to be your average movie trailers to me; I couldn't name anything particularly wrong with them. Aside from that, the only real advertising they might have done is in the form of licensed merch, so far as I know.

Again, not calling you wrong or anything, just curious.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #26
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

The big difference between the OT and PT is that while George was the driving force behind both. In the OT, George, at least, had people telling him that some things shouldn't be the way they are and that their should be some changes made to accommodate certain aspects of the production. I'm also sure he reluctantly agreed to these changes and was also more willing to allow others to take more of an initiative due to the stress he was under.

Looking at the prequels, however, you see a George Lucas who is revered so much that NO ONE wants to question him on anything. How DO you tell the creator of Star Wars that the things he wants in his Star Wars movie may not translate well for people who are watching it? The people who worked on the prequels seemed to be in awe of him and let him do whatever he wanted unchallenged because, he's the guy who created Star Wars!

HOWEVER... to think that the creation of Star Wars starts and ends with ONLY George Lucas totally incorrect. We all know that there were a lot of people involved with the production of all the original trilogy movies that were essential to the way it turned out. Everyone from the team over at ILM to the actors themselves to people like Irvin Kirshner, Frank Oz and the folks who created all of the different elements of Star Wars with their own initiative and didn't wait for George to approve every tiny little detail.

As for the sequel trilogy. We know nothing about it aside from out of context clips from trailers and pieces of information here and there. People can scoff at the movies, calling them silly pieces of fan fiction just because George Lucas isn't helming it... and that's fine. We can brand everything that Lucas didn't have direct contact with in Star Wars silly pieces of fan fiction at this rate, but whether they are silly fan fictions, like, say Knights of the Old Republic... at the very least, was it enjoyable to enough people to be worth it?

There are plenty of silly fan fictions released of Star Wars that people seem to have enjoyed immensly, KotOR being one of them.

Okay, yeah, Hollywood is plagued by cookie-cutter movies, there's a lot wrong with the industry and the people who are creative forces in the industry. But there is also a lot of good things that can come out of Hollywood too.

In that way, George Lucas is no different from Hollywood (at least, during the days of the prequels). He was huge, a force to be reckoned with. He has his flaws, but good things can also come from him... but only if the people who worked for him took some initiative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming George for any of this, rather, I'm blaming the people who worked around him who didn't speak up. Yeah, George Lucas is Star Wars, it was created by one person, but it was produced by many, and those many people added a wonderful tapestry of creativity to those original movies.

I'm hoping, that since George Lucas isn't involved in the sequel trilogy, it'll allow this group involvement of ideas to happen a lot more than it was happening in the prequels.

But who knows, the sequel trilogy may really suck, even harder than the prequel trilogy... but I want to actually wait and see what happens myself in the coming months and years.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #27
Alexrd
@Alexrd

Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwil View Post
Out of curiosity, though, why do you call Disney's marketing campaign ridiculous?
The whole focus on pratical effects, for example, and the implication that they are returning to something that was never gone to begin with. Trying to appeal to disgruntled fans instead of the next generation. Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Looking at the prequels, however, you see a George Lucas who is revered so much that NO ONE wants to question him on anything. How DO you tell the creator of Star Wars that the things he wants in his Star Wars movie may not translate well for people who are watching it? The people who worked on the prequels seemed to be in awe of him and let him do whatever he wanted unchallenged because, he's the guy who created Star Wars!
Another misconception. It's well documented that people in the production did make suggestions. The whole 'yes man' argument is a pure lie. All one needs to do is watch BTS material to confirm that George accepts and declines suggestion that were offered to him, just like in the OT. He even says something along the lines of "if it doesn't work out, I'll take the blame".

Quote:
HOWEVER... to think that the creation of Star Wars starts and ends with ONLY George Lucas totally incorrect. We all know that there were a lot of people involved with the production of all the original trilogy movies that were essential to the way it turned out. Everyone from the team over at ILM to the actors themselves to people like Irvin Kirshner, Frank Oz and the folks who created all of the different elements of Star Wars with their own initiative and didn't wait for George to approve every tiny little detail.
But he ended up approving it all, one way or the other. If he didn't like something, you bet it didn't end up in the final film. Even the whole 'I know' he ends up approving despite his initial preference for another line. And again, it wasn't any different in the PT.

Quote:
As for the sequel trilogy. We know nothing about it aside from out of context clips from trailers and pieces of information here and there. People can scoff at the movies, calling them silly pieces of fan fiction just because George Lucas isn't helming it... and that's fine. We can brand everything that Lucas didn't have direct contact with in Star Wars silly pieces of fan fiction at this rate, but whether they are silly fan fictions, like, say Knights of the Old Republic... at the very least, was it enjoyable to enough people to be worth it?
I can enjoy licensed fan fiction. It's a different issue when the 'real deal' is offered to them and they ignore it to produce their own story. They are free to do so, sure, but I see it as pretentious and even disrespectful.

Quote:
There are plenty of silly fan fictions released of Star Wars that people seem to have enjoyed immensly, KotOR being one of them.
I don't have a problem with people enjoying what they like. They don't have to like what George does. I'm speaking for myself, not for others. Still, this is Episode VII, not spin-off #21. A direct sequel of Lucas' story. The decision to ignore the story (not the script) he provided them is downright insulting as far as authenticity and creativeness goes.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming George for any of this, rather, I'm blaming the people who worked around him who didn't speak up. Yeah, George Lucas is Star Wars, it was created by one person, but it was produced by many, and those many people added a wonderful tapestry of creativity to those original movies.
I'm sorry, but that argument is just a strawman. No big production is made by one single man, that's a given and it's pointless to point that out. Lucas didn't draw an X-wing, or built the Death Star miniature, or was stuffing hair into the Chewbacca costume, but he envisioned them and was behind it all.

For example: People give Stanley Kubrick credit for 2001, not random employee John Doe who helped build the spaceplane miniature. Same for every other creative in every medium. But somehow, for Star Wars, the norm is taking credit away from Lucas. Same thing with CGI. It's fine for every single blockbuster, but with Star Wars (which always used state of the art technology), it gets teared down no matter what. I find these double standards almost sickening so much is the unfairness of such attitude. It's even more sickening when Disney-owned Lucasfilm indirectly feeds it on purpose.

Anyway, if people end up enjoying the movie, good for them. I mean it. As a huge fan of the saga, I just won't support a project done like this. If I watch it, I'll probably borrow the DVD/BD from a friend.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #28
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Either way, both of us have no real first hand information about all this. All we can do is judge this new group of people on what they do on the movie AFTER it comes out and we've all seen it to know what kind of movie it is.

It's entirely unfair to judge a thing none of us have seen yet.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #29
Shem
@Shem
Master of the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwil View Post
Oh, man, sick.

How much they running for, Shem?
$15.50 (says so in the tickets). Though they're living room seats. It's a special feature of that this theater chain (they're great theaters) has and they were the only ones available. I snagged up two of the last three seats that were available at that theater at the time I got them.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #30
Miltiades
@Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member  The Walking Carpets Guild Member  Forum Veteran  Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathdisco View Post
Is it just me or does it not look like a Star Wars movie?
Use different ships and it would look like any other modern sci-fi flick.
So what you're saying is: take out the things that make Star Wars Star Wars and you'll end up with a movie that doesn't look like Star Wars? Well you don't say! Really, it looks perfectly Star Wars to me, not sure how else it should look.

I'm on the optimistic side, really. I love the build-up, it does play on the nostalgic feelings in a big way, but it also feels like the beginning of a new era. I'm not concerned about it not living up to the OT, that's impossible with the status it has achieved during these last... 38 years?

I say Bring On BB-8! (and R2 obv)

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #31
deathdisco
@deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Aesthetic look of the film. The ground/jungle shots look like "Lost". So do the Rouge One clips.
Not hating on it. I'm sure it'll be good and I'll enjoy it but this is not the true sequel trilogy in my mind.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #32
Miltiades
@Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member  The Walking Carpets Guild Member  Forum Veteran  Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Aesthetic look of the film. The ground/jungle shots look like "Lost". So do the Rouge One clips.
Not hating on it. I'm sure it'll be good and I'll enjoy it but this is not the true sequel trilogy in my mind.
Hmmm. I don't see it. Maybe it's just cinema has evolved, it's got to be different. Either way, bold statement to make, that last one, based off of what? Three trailers and some fan art?

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #33
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I think it's impossible to capture the "Star Wars" feel. The prequel trilogy didn't look of "feel" particularly Star Wars either. It had a drastically different aesthetic and used a different cinematic language than the original trilogy. The sequel trilogy will be different again.

Also, the trailers and information we're getting are all without context. We can't really judge a movie based on marketing material because marketing material tends to be pretty unreliable.

As I've said repeatedly in this thread, none of us are going to know how this movie turns out until it's released and we actually do see it for ourselves.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #34
deathdisco
@deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
...Either way, bold statement to make, that last one, based off of what? Three trailers and some fan art?
The fact that they declined to use GL's treatment and came up with their own story. I'm sure it would of evolved into its' own thing but at least it would of had its' basis in Lucas' story.

I'll feel better if one of those new characters last name ends in Skywalker or Solo. I'd even take a Calrissian.

I'll reiterate, I'm not making a judgment on whether it'll be good or not. There are plenty of Star Wars stories I enjoy that didn't come from Lucas but I expect more from a Star Wars feature film. So, not opening day worthy for me but I will see it.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #35
Alkonium
@Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer  Forum Veteran 
Quote:
What Rogue One clips?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #36
Darth Avlectus
@Darth Avlectus
I'd buy that for a dollar

Current Game: A dirty old man.
Since it's everywhere, and it can no longer be ignored, now I have to wear my t-shirt with caution out in public. I realize I'm no longer 'hip' and not part of the 'in crowd' as a detractor of new canon. As a "NEW-C" detractor, and a fan of the Expanded Universe, even I predict that at least initially it will make a killing if only for the reason that its "the shiny new installment" and "because it's Star Wars" as it is said. That's how consumerism works more or less.

Even the proponents here on LF are civil compared with some fans. In person as well as watching social media I find it most amusing some of the biggest proponents elsewhere on new canon are also some of the nastiest with sentiments that can be boiled down essentially to:

"Looks like you're gonna be lonely, hahaha." and "You call yourself a SW fan you poser?"

While I speak mostly for myself, I do believe there's other EU fans who agree with me. Excuse the cliche' of my replies:
--Why so serious, hipper than thou? Who died and made you god? I really don't get the whole patronizing dismissive attitude about what is now "Legends". Then again, if you have to loudly wear it on your sleeve, you aren't as secure in your position as you think you are.
No judgment here. I don't begrudge anyone for going and seeing the new movie...So WTF?!

That's right, Bixby Snyder folks.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 10-23-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2015, 02:03 AM   #37
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@Darth Avlectus : I don't see any real issue. The old EU hasn't gone away, it hasn't been erased from our memories, the stories still exist.

Disney wanted to do something with the franchise they now own, and wiping the sleight clean is a good way of going about that. This movie would not have been possible otherwise because the history within the EU is too filled in for anything to be done on this large a scale and bringing back the OT cast along for the ride.

The way I feel about all this is that I still like much of the old EU because it's existed for a very long time and there's lots of great stuff there... but I'm also glad that we are getting something new because... well... I don't know WHAT to expect from the new movies and such because everything is new again. There are no expectations of having x character or y event or z planet.

We're given the chance to not know what will happen again instead of knowing all the ins and outs of the universe because we're that familiar with EU lore.

When Ep7 comes out, it's going to be all new to me... and that's what I like about the entire concept of the sequel trilogy and how it's being set up.

We're all on equal ground on this now. None of us know what to expect or how things are going to play out.

EDIT: Also... dammit, I absolutely love the design of the new X-Wing.

EDIT 2: Music-only version of the latest trailer

View page
YouTube Video

Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #38
Carwil
@Carwil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Since it's everywhere, and it can no longer be ignored, now I have to wear my t-shirt with caution out in public. I realize I'm no longer 'hip' and not part of the 'in crowd' as a detractor of new canon. As a "NEW-C" detractor, and a fan of the Expanded Universe, even I predict that at least initially it will make a killing if only for the reason that its "the shiny new installment" and "because it's Star Wars" as it is said. That's how consumerism works more or less.

Even the proponents here on LF are civil compared with some fans. In person as well as watching social media I find it most amusing some of the biggest proponents elsewhere on new canon are also some of the nastiest with sentiments that can be boiled down essentially to:

"Looks like you're gonna be lonely, hahaha." and "You call yourself a SW fan you poser?"

While I speak mostly for myself, I do believe there's other EU fans who agree with me. Excuse the cliche' of my replies:
--Why so serious, hipper than thou? Who died and made you god? I really don't get the whole patronizing dismissive attitude about what is now "Legends". Then again, if you have to loudly wear it on your sleeve, you aren't as secure in your position as you think you are.
No judgment here. I don't begrudge anyone for going and seeing the new movie...So WTF?!
I feel your pain, Avlectus. I don't think it was even necessary, let alone a smart business decision, for Disney to throw the EU out the window. It overlapped with the movies only on the rare occasion, and in some cases, i.e. Han and Leia being married, the EU was directly tied to the movies, so depending on the setting of Episode VII, I'll be intrigued to see how it ends up working out for them. But, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, none of which I'm here to detract from, so as Lynk says, we'll just wait it out for the next two months and see what becomes of it.

Quote:
In person as well as watching social media I find it most amusing some of the biggest proponents elsewhere on new canon are also some of the nastiest with sentiments that can be boiled down essentially to:

Citing Lynk once again, at the end of the day, Disney's decision to decanonize the EU really doesn't have quite the impact I initially thought it would. After all, there are still people who outright refuse to recognize it. I count myself among this crowd, at least for the moment.

Quote:
Since it's everywhere, and it can no longer be ignored, now I have to wear my t-shirt with caution out in public. I realize I'm no longer 'hip' and not part of the 'in crowd' as a detractor of new canon.
Oh, boy, I cannot express to you how hard you hit the nail on the head with this statement. Up until now, I thought I was the only fan having this problem. I'm already anticipating the patronizing comments when hyped moviegoers who jumped on the wagon and saw Episode VII (yet probably couldn't tell you the title of the last prequel) see me in my Falcon shirt: "OOOOOOOH, YOU'RE A STAR WARS FAN TOO?" "HAVE YOU SEEN THE NEW MOVIE YET?" Please, I was a fan a decade before this movie was even announced. *Cough* CASUALS! *cough.* I really wish I had a KotOR or Jedi Knight shirt to illustrate this fact, but alas, I've never seen any for sale before.

Like it or not, Star Wars is more or less underground at this point. Come reckoning day when TFA is released, it's going to be dragged kicking and screaming out into the light, and us fans are coming with it. So, if the new movie tanks, we'll be stigmatized. If it's an overnight success, we'll be patronized. Avlectus, the odds of successfully navigating the release of Episode VII are approximately 3, 720 to 1!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #39
milestails
@milestails
Forumite

That music only version is pretty cool!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #40
deathdisco
@deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
What Rogue One clips?
It seems high quality teaser was pulled off the internet.
Set photos and cell phone video of the teaser.
Cast photo.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Star Wars The Force Awakens MNF Trailer