lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Why are some people gay?
Born gay. 30 41.10%
By choice. 24 32.88%
None of the above 19 26.03%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Why are some people gay?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #81
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
I think I've grasped what you're saying quite well, actually Nancy.

Quote:
He made a choice to seek out these experiances with other men based on what he found. How many ways does it have to be said?
Doomie is correct, this is where you've made something of an error. You're confusing homosexual ACTS (actual sex) with homosexuality and homosexual urges. (A desire to engage in homosexual acts.)

In your little story, the teenager suddenly discovered that he found other men attractive. And THEN he went out and had sex with other men. But he didn't CHOOSE to be attracted to other men, he merely FOUND that he was attracted to other men.

So his homosexuality wasn't a choice. The fact that he chose to have sex with the men he did, isn't relevant to whether "homosexuality is a choice". Do you see the distinction I'm trying to draw?


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #82
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
How does one define sexual preferrence and whether or not it's a choice? I'll use something that had been discovered when fighting child porn as an example. A friend of mine used to fight it and one of the things he said that would happen was that people would get into fighting it, not having seen any of the material but are rightfully outraged at the idea. Then they start fighting child porn, they see it when they find people dealing in it, ect, and they find that they actually get turned on by it. Would this mean that there's any number of potential pedophiles who don't even know it out there?
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #83
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Theoretically, I suppose there could be loads of potential paedophiles, as well as potential furries, plushies, sports-bag fetishists... I don't see that this is relevant to the question at hand, however.

As stated before, there is a distinction between sexual urges and sexual acts. It's a fairly clear distinction. Do you agree?


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #84
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Can you prove that it isn't a matter of choice?
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #85
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
I can offer plenty of evidence to suggest that it isn't a matter of conscious choice. Two points for starters:

1. There are many homosexual people who don't want to be homosexual.
2. Homosexuality develops like any other sexual preference. Did I choose to be heterosexual?... Nope, I just... was. Homosexual people say the same thing, therefore sexual preference is not- as a rule- a matter of conscious choice.

But of course the list is endless. What evidence do YOU have to suggest that it IS a matter of choosing to be gay?


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #86
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
You give me at least three web sites that prove inconclusively that it isn't a matter of choice and I'll put up my evidence. Until then you're wrong.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #87
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
How can I be "wrong" when you haven't posted a shred of evidence to support YOUR claim, or to refute my arguments? That's madness! No, until YOU post your evidence, you are the only one who could possibly be wrong.

Plus, to "prove inconclusively" is not what you meant, I think. Perhaps you meant "prove conclusively"? In which case, what would you accept as conclusive proof? I must know that before I consider attempting to prove it to you.

Still, in the meantime, I shall give you one interesting report:

American Academy of Pediatrics report on Homosexuality

In the fourth paragraph, they agree with me.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #88
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
There is no point in challenging hypocrits unless you can really demonstrate their hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is about self-deceipt, and little good will come out of forcing people to face unpleasant truths about themselves.

With that said, this proves nothing. You have failed to convince me that homosexuality is not a matter of choice.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #89
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Ah, now you're implying that I'm a hypocrite? How odd.

As for whether I've failed to convince you or not... That's not really relevant, since I've adequately demonstrated that your comments are based on zero evidence, and in fact directly contradict the available evidence. Very nice debating with you.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #90
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,352
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Obviously you are incapeable of understanding. Either that or you're trolling, one of the two.
Al is in no way trolling, so please refrain from suggesting that he is. He had clearly responded to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
You give me at least three web sites that prove inconclusively that it isn't a matter of choice and I'll put up my evidence. Until then you're wrong.
Wouldn't it be better to provide evidence to back up your claims? Then people can debate that evidence. Simply saying "you're wrong" doesn't advance the discussion any. If he is wrong, provide evidence that shows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
How does one define sexual preferrence and whether or not it's a choice? I'll use something that had been discovered when fighting child porn as an example. A friend of mine used to fight it and one of the things he said that would happen was that people would get into fighting it, not having seen any of the material but are rightfully outraged at the idea. Then they start fighting child porn, they see it when they find people dealing in it, ect, and they find that they actually get turned on by it. Would this mean that there's any number of potential pedophiles who don't even know it out there?
That would mean there are potential pedophiles out there. I'm not sure what you are trying to show here. If anything, it supports Al's position. Such a person went in against pedophiles, but they found they enjoyed the concept. They didn't choose to enjoy it. Clearly their rational mind told them it was wrong. The only choice is whether they commited the acts afterwards.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #91
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Another example, hatred of men. Something like this could make a woman decide to seek comfort in the arms of a member of the same sex.

What about something like Atheism? Now the nonbelief of religion is not a genetic thing is it? People see things like Christians bombing abortion clinics (and since it's the topic, condemning gays), Muslims preaching hatred and terrorism, Scientologists trying to destroy those who disagree or criticise them. Seeing these things would, and have, made people go 'stuff the lot of'em' and chosen to believe in no religion. Much the same applies to how some approach homosexuality.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #92
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Another example, hatred of men. Something like this could make a woman decide to seek comfort in the arms of a member of the same sex.
This argument irrelevant unless you intend to argue that every single homosexual person is actually a woman who hates men. Just because SOME people have made a choice for their sexuality doesn't mean you are allowed to lump everyone into the same group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
What about something like Atheism?
Complete non-sequitor. The two are not related at all.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #93
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
This argument irrelevant unless you intend to argue that every single homosexual person is actually a woman who hates men. Just because SOME people have made a choice for their sexuality doesn't mean you are allowed to lump everyone into the same group.
Would it be equally as fallacious to say that because some believe that it's genetic homosexuality cannot be a choice? Unfortunetly you cannot have it both ways, you cannot say it's wrong to say it's a choice full stop and it's right to say there is no choice full stop. What I'm arguing is that women, some women (actually only a small percentage to be fair) would turn to homosexuality because of men, it was their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior
Complete non-sequitor. The two are not related at all.
Actually the same as people may choose to be Atheist based on what they've seen and what they experiance someone would choose to practice homosexuality based on what they see and what they experiance, so they would be related.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #94
Vaelastraz
Veteran
 
Vaelastraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: City 17. It's safer.
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Actually the same as people may choose to be Atheist based on what they've seen and what they experiance someone would choose to practice homosexuality based on what they see and what they experiance, so they would be related.
Are you also saying that eating behavior is related to homosexuality too? From what I've seen and what I've experienced I choose to "practise" vegetarianism.

I think it's odd to claim that homosexuality is a choice. It may be a choice to actually declare yourself homosexual and to accept it, but I don't think you can help it if you're attracted to the same sex.
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #95
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
That's actually part of the problem I think, I'm probably thinking more along the lines of homosexual activity, coming out of the closet, that sort of thing. What causes it in the first place? ****ed if I know.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #96
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...
 
Spider AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Help, help, I'm stapled to my workstation.
Posts: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Would it be equally as fallacious to say that because some believe that it's genetic homosexuality cannot be a choice? Unfortunetly you cannot have it both ways, you cannot say it's wrong to say it's a choice full stop and it's right to say there is no choice full stop.
Nancy... Who has said "there is no choice full stop"? Who has said this?

I've not said it. ET hasn't said it. Vael hasn't said it. So please, stop propping up the straw-men everywhere. The fact is that the available evidence suggests that homosexuality, like EVERY sexual preference, is partly nature, and partly nurture. The evidence does NOT suggest that it is a "matter of conscious choice".

If you want to ignore the evidence, fine. But be honest about it.

As regards your tangent on atheism, ET is correct, it's a total non-sequitur. Utterly irrelevant, utterly random.

As regards your contention that some women who hate men just BECOME homosexual, I don't think it holds water. No matter how badly I've been treated by women in the past, I've never started to find Tom Selleck attractive. Honest.

So it follows that those women who become lesbians after being badly treated by men ALREADY had some degree of innate bi-sexuality that meant they were CAPABLE of finding members of their own gender attractive.

Finally, even if you were to find a totally straight woman who suddenly became a lesbian after being in an abusive relationship with a man... That surely would be classified as a conditioned sexual preference, and therefore not a matter of conscious choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
I'm probably thinking more along the lines of homosexual activity, coming out of the closet, that sort of thing. What causes it in the first place?
"Why do gay people come out of the closet?" isn't the topic of this thread. "Why do gay people actually have sex with each other?" isn't the topic of this thread.

And with all due respect... neither of those questions is interesting at all, and both of those questions have obvious answers.


[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #97
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,352
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Would it be equally as fallacious to say that because some believe that it's genetic homosexuality cannot be a choice?
Since your genetics are predetermined, how can it be a choice? Did you choose to have the genetics you have? Did you choose to be tall or short? Did you choose to like one food but not another? Do you decide who you find physically attractive? Why must it a choice for gays in these scenarios but not for straight people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Unfortunetly you cannot have it both ways, you cannot say it's wrong to say it's a choice full stop and it's right to say there is no choice full stop.
But it isn't having in both ways. There is one way. To support your argument, you need to show that being genetically predisposed to enjoy something is a choice of the idividual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
What I'm arguing is that women, some women (actually only a small percentage to be fair) would turn to homosexuality because of men, it was their choice.
They choice was to perform a homosexual act in that case, not to all of a sudden be physically attracted to members of the same sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider AL
So it follows that those women who become lesbians after being badly treated by men ALREADY had some degree of innate bi-sexuality that meant they were CAPABLE of finding members of their own gender attractive.
Or, they make the choice to ignore their physical attractions to members of the opposite sex.

In any event, the argument is against the claim that all homosexual feelings by nature are a decision made by each individual.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #98
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
As I said I was probably thinking more homosexual activity. So, am I going to be put on trial for thinking that? Should I consult a lawyer for daring to suggest homosexuality is a matter of choice?
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #99
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
You are in a debate forum, Nancy. People are going to debate with you when they believe you are stating things that are not correct.

In addition, the thread is not about "why do homosexual people act like homosexual people". The threads purpose is to debate why people are homosexual in the first place.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #100
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
And pick fights every chance you can, natrually. Lie, cheat, steal, the objective is to win by any means nessecary.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #101
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness
 
ET Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Evil League of Evil
Posts: 9,405
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
And pick fights every chance you can, natrually. Lie, cheat, steal, the objective is to win by any means nessecary.
Honestly, the only person in this thread who seems interested in picking fights is you. As regards lying, cheating, or stealing...I'm not sure what to say. I've seen none of the above.



ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #102
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
Back on topic, why are some people gay? I really have no idea. Homosexual activity, it's a choice, but attraction to the same sex? I looked it up and the reasons given are a guess at best.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #103
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,352
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
And pick fights every chance you can, natrually. Lie, cheat, steal, the objective is to win by any means nessecary.
What statements here are you refering to?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #104
Nancy Allen``
Banned
 
Nancy Allen``'s Avatar
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,948
In the Senate? I've started reporting posts that go against the rules, a browse through the locked threads should give some insight. Specific posts, well it'd be wrong for me to point them out here but below are a few tactics used. And yes, these are ones I use myself.

Coming into a new thread that has an opinion that you disagree with, so you pretend to agree with it while portraying it in the worst way. Example: Should Revan be tried and executed, say yes hunt him down and kill him and all those who were with him, let the galaxy burn.

A string of posts that are intended to lead your target to a fallacy. Example: in a topic on the space program for example, try and structure your posts so that your target will reply with a fallacy, ie: NASA spent billions to kill the Columbian astronauts.

A variation of the above technique, structuring a post to provoke a reply, hopefully a negative one. Example: Americans have no right to complain when terrorists kill them because of their occupation in other countries.

Making rules for yourself and other rules for everyone else. Example: "It's Ad Hominem to say that this comment is sick because it implys this person is sick" then when being accused of Ad Hominem claim it isn't.


General note--this would be an excellent discussion to take to PMs with the moderators to avoid derailing the thread. --Jae

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 05-19-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Nancy Allen`` is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #105
Revan435
Rookie
 
Revan435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Posts: 57
dude....has anyone noticed how ugly lesibians are? omfg i can barely look at them...i bet they couldnt get anything so tehy changed? eh? eh? ehhhhh? try that one on...yea think about that for a sec? ugly chicks=lesbians its true proven scitenfic fact...no doubt, dude im not even joking 4 real serious ugly chicks r lesibians cause they cant get dick at least the ones that arent born with it...thats the reason
Revan435 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #106
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Lol, sorry, I think this subject is a little to sensitive for my abrasive comments that I won't get involved at all...you'll thank me in the end.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #107
Stream
Damn...
 
Stream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On your hard drive.
Posts: 469
Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
I can't even think how I stumbled upon this now but to be honest I can't believe this thread actually exists - does it really matter why people are gay? It's up to them what they do in their private lives - to ask a question like this you might as well have another one asking why people are straight, it's the same thing.
Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #108
igyman
Tension!
 
igyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: White City
Posts: 3,412
Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan435
ugly chicks=lesbians its true proven scitenfic fact...
Ummm... while I agree that there are cases like those, I can't support your claim as an absolute truth because I've had a chance to see that it's not a universal rule (nope, I'm not referring to porn, or anything even remotely similar. Actually, what the heck, a few months back I went out with some friends to a club and at some point in the crowd of dancing people I noticed two pretty good looking girls making out. Go figure.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Stream
to ask a question like this you might as well have another one asking why people are straight, it's the same thing.
Well, it's not the same. One answer to your question of why people are straight is that otherwise we wouldn't be here today. However, there is no answer to the question of this thread that everyone in the world can accept. It's a complicated matter to some, simple to others, which is why we're supposed to exchange our opinions here.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #109
Stream
Damn...
 
Stream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On your hard drive.
Posts: 469
Current Game: Fable 3
Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
I guess you're right, my main gripe was really the options of the poll, instead of none of the above why couldn't it have been something like it's not their fault. Anyway point taken and to be honest I just never thought I'd see a thread like this anywhere let alone here.

--Stream

Stream is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #110
Heavyarms
The Buckeye Maneater!!!
 
Heavyarms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: America, the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave!
Posts: 2,473
My answer to the question is I don't know because I'm not gay and I can't specify. I'm straight because that is what I'm physically attracted, and also because I choose to. I imagine it is the same for homosexuals, but I cannot presume to speak for them.


Proud to be an American.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke
Heavyarms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #111
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Stream
I guess you're right, my main gripe was really the options of the poll, instead of none of the above why couldn't it have been something like it's not their fault. Anyway point taken and to be honest I just never thought I'd see a thread like this anywhere let alone here.

--Stream
It's a controversial topic, and controversial topics are fair game, particularly in this forum. Not everyone views homosexuality in the same way, hence the thread.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #112
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
I voted 'by choice'. That is what I think. Evidence that made me choose this:
spoiler:
Our bodies were not physically made for the same sex!

Or at least that is what I believe.

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #113
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
But your hand is made to err.. ??


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #114
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace
 
DeadYorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,275
Current Game: Pheonix Wright
I personally believe that homosexuals are born gay and its not a choice for them. If it was then there would be less gay people. Anyway People are born Hetero and Gay and there is no way around it.


"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #115
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
It might perhaps be more fair to say that not all homosexual activity can be rationalized away as inate. Sexual "experimentation" is clearly a choice.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 AM   #116
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Sexual "experimentation" is not really considered gay though.

Its like, you are not a smoker if you just smoke a cigarette... and not a wow gamer if you only played WoW for a couple of days thru some free trial.

So please, don't bring Sexual "experimentation" into the picture. Someone can be completely straight and decide to do a Sexual "experimentation" for curiosity's sake, or "experimentation" of any kind for that matter.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #117
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Regardless, sexual experimentation includes homosexual activity. And considered by whom? Besides, if I murder you tomorrow, I'm considered a murderer for the remainder of my life. How's that really any different? (please avoid the oh so obvious sex doesn't equal killing style response).


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #118
El Sitherino
The Original.
 
El Sitherino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Planet Funkālnite.
Posts: 14,509
Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Regardless, sexual experimentation includes homosexual activity. And considered by whom? Besides, if I murder you tomorrow, I'm considered a murderer for the remainder of my life. How's that really any different? (please avoid the oh so obvious sex doesn't equal killing style response).
Apples and oranges. You murdered someone, therefore the application of the term "Murderer" fits and is logically sound. Sexual experimentation can apply to any sexual activity. Never had sex? Getting a little curious and noticing your body reacting to that certain someone in class? Technically sexual experimentation. However people only seem to label that when it comes to trying out something with the same sex.


Why are people gay? Because they are, just like some people are lactose intolerant.


“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #119
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,256
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
That one day I thought "apples do look so much tastier than oranges", and the zucchini agreed.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #120
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
apples and oranges = murder and homoseual activity aren't the same. Nobody said they were the same, just as Ray and Sithy aren't the same either regardless of what they might have in common. You might have been better off taking the tack that one act of anything doesn't axiomatically make you that (ie murderer, thief, homosexual, saint...). The other position comes across as nothing more than a convenient 2x standard. However, experimentation implies a choice (or at least the illusion thereof) versus going lock step with your "programming" (ie in your genes).

As to that last statement....then I guess one should just say that bullies are bullies b/c that's what they are, just like some people are albinos.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Why are some people gay?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.