lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Assassin's Creed 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Assassin's Creed 3

So, the official website has now revealed AC3 to the world. Set during the American revolution, and the trailer looks neat! Should be good to follow.

Clicky

Last edited by Taak Farst; 03-06-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I have to admit that I'm not very thrilled about AC moving to the American Revolution, or the American continent in general. To me, AC was a game that allowed me to visit places and times no other game did, so after the Holy Land and Renaissance Italy and especially all the wondrous cities we visited in those time periods, moving to the period during the American Revolution seems a bit "meh" in comparison. Some suggestions I have seen included 17th century England or feudal China or Japan and I have to say those sound a lot better to me than the official choice.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Well, exotic means different things to different people. While I have learned about the American Revolution and about American history in general, it has always been on a superficial level. To me, the North American continent is something far away and unknown. To me, an AC game in England is far less attractive than on the American continent. Sure, feudal China or Japan and other ideas that have been circulating would be amazing settings for an AC game, but I'm certainly not complaining. Besides, we can still get those, the franchise doesn't end with Desmond's story.

So yeah, looking forward to it. And with three years of development under its belt, I do expect something exceptional. Make it happen, Ubisoft!

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
jedi_consular16
Rookie

I think choosing the American Revolution as a backdrop was a really interesting choice, and I look forward to playing the game. But, being an American I'm biased.

Although, and somewhat to igyman's point...what wondrous cities can we expect to explore? Certainly Boston or Philadelphia, or perhaps New York come to mind..maybe even Charleston in the south or perhaps Montreal or Quebec...but..even though Philadelphia was a large city and New York and Boston were huge centers of trade I don't think any of them matched up to the picturesque cityscapes we saw in Rome, Constantinople, or Venice. I'm interested to see what Ubisoft does with cities in the colonies and how they match up to what we saw with Rome in Brotherhood and Constantinople in Revelations. Or perhaps they want to switch gears and this game will see more of a focus on smaller villages and wooded terrain???

Your guys' thoughts on this?

Last edited by jedi_consular16; 03-06-2012 at 08:00 PM.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Exactly yours, jedi_consular16. The cities. The choice of setting just seems a bit odd, but I won't say it's exactly bad. This time there's a war raging the whole time, at least.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I would have preferred the French Revolution, a lot more intrigue and plotting going on there.

It's pretty stupid that the protagonist is half English half Native American, yet is killing redcoats. Realistically he'd almost definitely be firmly on the side of the English, considering they at least semi-respected the agreements made with Native American tribes, while the colonists wanted unchecked expansion into native lands. It would even work better from an AC story perspective, what with so many founding fathers being freemasons and stuff like that.

But no, it has to be FREEDOM AMERICA JUSTICE LIBERTY! Kill those evil Englishmen! I mean, I love my country enough to risk my life for it, but an important part of true patriotism is having a realistic view of both the good and bad aspects of your country, not some BS propagandist fantasy. The Revolutionary War had a bit to do with liberty, but much more to do with money, land, and other economic interests, like any other war.

If they'd only done the French Revolution, they could have avoided this stupidity.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I like the choice of setting, but I think his outfit looks stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
I would have preferred the French Revolution, a lot more intrigue and plotting going on there.

It's pretty stupid that the protagonist is half English half Native American, yet is killing redcoats. Realistically he'd almost definitely be firmly on the side of the English, considering they at least semi-respected the agreements made with Native American tribes, while the colonists wanted unchecked expansion into native lands. It would even work better from an AC story perspective, what with so many founding fathers being freemasons and stuff like that.

But no, it has to be FREEDOM AMERICA JUSTICE LIBERTY! Kill those evil Englishmen! I mean, I love my country enough to risk my life for it, but an important part of true patriotism is having a realistic view of both the good and bad aspects of your country, not some BS propagandist fantasy. The Revolutionary War had a bit to do with liberty, but much more to do with money, land, and other economic interests, like any other war.

If they'd only done the French Revolution, they could have avoided this stupidity.
I quite agree. After seeing the trailer, it's as if they've been speaking to Gibson and Emmerich.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
can't wait. Im STILL not done with Brotherhood.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #9
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Special Editions Revealed!

JOIN OR DIE EDITION

'Join or Die' was a famous political cartoon drawn by Benjamin Franklin, one of the founding fathers of the United States. It was created as a symbol colonial unity and freedom, and is now the inspiration for our incredible Assassin’s Creed III special edition.

This collector’s edition includes an AC medallion, George Washington Notebook and a ULC pack featuring the bonus mission “Ghost of War” and Sharpshooter MP character.

FREEDOM EDITION

Acclaimed comic artist Alex Ross (Spider-Man, Kingdom Come) is the genius behind our Freedom Edition, the most deluxe version of Assassin’s Creed III.

This incredible package comes with a special collector’s box, a 24 cm tall figure of Connor, a steelbook designed by Alex Ross, a George Washington note book and loads of great ULC.

Clicky

Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Wow... those special editions are... confusing.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
I hated the first one and have not played any of the recent releases, whatever they were... I feel like I've seen at least 2 others, but this is the official #3?

Anyway, were the more recent releases any different than the first or have I just bought into the cg trailers?

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Assassin's Creed 2 was fantastic, in comparison to 1. Brotherhood & Revelations were rehashes of 2 with some new features added. Brotherhood was very good but by Revelations it got a bit dry. If you want to try any of the 3 before #3 comes, go for 2.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
jedi_consular16
Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVJG_mrtFo

Looks awesome. Particularly like the new capability to jump through windows. I still have not played through Revelations yet, but am already stoked for this title. Although I must admit that half of my excitement comes from the fact that I'm American and this game is set during the Am. Revolutionary War. Whether the game is as good as its predecessors or not, they pretty much already won my money because of the setting ; damn them for playing to my patriotism.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Has anyone grabbed this?

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
This looks awesome, I have Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and this one looks epic. Probably gonna get this.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
As with every game that interests me, I'm waiting for the PC version. Might consider replaying the previous AC games until late November, when it's supposed to come out.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
i have it, but i haven't had a chance to play it yet. been playing Forza Horizon for single player and Borderlands 1 with one of my friends for multiplayer.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Got the game a few days ago, reached sequence 3. Quite a long "intro", but I do like Haytham. Can't wait to get back to it.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Got the game a few days ago, reached sequence 3. Quite a long "intro", but I do like Haytham. Can't wait to get back to it.
I share the same point & opinion as you. Haytham's accent + the plot twist make for a good character

EDIT: I saw that a lot of critics say there is a lot to do, but it is incoherent with each other. I agree to an extent, but I still think it all has enough purpose that it is fully justifiable. I LOVE Naval Missions, they're awesome. I also can't hunt an animal without singing Radioactive...

Last edited by Taak Farst; 11-11-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
*~*Darth pOOba*~*
Rookie

Current Game: The game of life
Well Connor is just a sexy native american beast sooooo best game of the year!!! Haha

Geek is Chic

"...And we will never back down, because a life without freedom is not a life worth living." - Ratonhnhaké:ton

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
*~*Darth pOOba*~* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #21
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Anyone have a favorite outfit? I'm slighly underwhelmed by the limited amount of choices and the outfits themselves, to be honest, but I do like the Boston (brown) outfit. Got a few issues with the HUD as well, specifically there's one slot for ranged weapons and traps and the horse whistle? Quite cumbersome. Also, as expected maybe from these type of games, some strange AI behavior. Sometimes you'll see a Patriot fighting a Loyalist and when one kills the other, blames you for it (or maybe that's smart AI, I don't know ).

Other than that, the game has been a blast. I don't really have issue with the side-missions not relating to the main story or being incoherent or whatever. I love that there's so much to do. It's really an amazing game.

spoiler:
Also, more Haytham is awesome. Reached Sequence 10 and the Connor-Haytham relationship has been fun. I'm quite amazed they pulled of the facial expressions, Haytham's expressions always make me smile.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

I finished the main story. It's been a thrilling ride, I must say, but not one without its faults. The meat of the game is amazing. Connor, in my opinion, plays better than Ezio or Altaïr ever did. He's more agile, has new tools and can freaking climb trees! New York and Boston are great, but don't have the flair of Ezio's cities. These ain't no Venice, yo. But it's the Frontier that steals the show. Never mind that it's huge, but there so much stuff to do, so many animals to hunt, trees to climb. It's a marvel, never more so, in my opinion, than in the winter season, where the snow provides idyllic scenes where you can just lose yourself in.

There are downsides, though. First and foremost, the bugs. I have never seen an Assassin's Creed so buggy at release (and I purchased them all on day one, so I'd know), so this is pretty much inexcusable. Never mind the people sinking into the ground, getting stuck in the furniture or a horse that follows you around everywhere that you can't even ride (this one's a real pain, as it messes up everything you do, from combat to certain quests), the real shocker are graphical glitches where half of the room is glowing purple and green stripes, parts of infrastructure that have a part sticking out across the whole room and more (granted, pretty much all of this happened in the underground tunnels, but it shouldn't happen).

The HUDs also quite messed up. Switching between weapons, getting to the Assassin Guild screen, it's all really messed up. Add to that the fact that some missions don't appear on the map and it can be a frustrating game.

AC3 is also inferior to the Ezio trilogy when it comes to its characters. Connor is as wooden as they come. Maybe it's unfair to compare the two when one had a whole trilogy to develop and unfair because nobody would ever match Ezio's flair, but considering you're playing the character for hours upon hours, I think we can demand a little more. The history figures are also pretty inferior to the likes of Da Vinci and co. in their portrayal. Achilles is a nice addition however. And, well, AC3 manages to deliver (in my opinion) the truly best character in the whole series so far, Haytham Kenway. You play as him for a rather long period before you get to play Connor, but it's more than that. He has a fascinating background (spoilers!), kills every scene he plays in (amazing voice actor, by the way) and he's British.

Lastly, and I've been in the minority that enjoyed Desmond's sections in the games before, I'm pretty disappointed about how it ended. He had some missions of his own that were an improvement (for the most part) to the previous games, but I always hoped for Desmond to come into his own and shine in some mad endgame, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I know it's a bit much to expect the developers to drop Desmond in a complete modern city and do his thing, but that's a bit what I always wanted for the character. And it's really possible, you know, if they would only give themselves more time to develop the game and didn't choose a massive city to create. It doesn't have to be modern New York, per se.

Anyway, hours upon hours of fun to be had in AC3. You need to look past some of its issues (and they're more noticeable than they've ever been in previous entries - the engine's getting old), but if you can (and a true assassin should!) then you'll have a blast.

Last edited by Miltiades; 11-14-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The reason for why I like when the PC version is released weeks/months later.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I've mostly enjoyed the game so far (Sequence 7), but I'm still not sure if I actually like it.

And I really don't understand the need or point of naval battles. Yes, they're very good and all that, but I still don't see why a shadowy group like the Assassins require a Navy.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I've mostly enjoyed the game so far (Sequence 7), but I'm still not sure if I actually like it.

And I really don't understand the need or point of naval battles. Yes, they're very good and all that, but I still don't see why a shadowy group like the Assassins require a Navy.
I feel that anything shadowey about the Assassins is pretty limited in revolution era. Enjoying this game more than the others. Love it.

EDIT: and there is the deal breaker...I've just finished it...the end to Connors story is good. Desmond? Absolutely terrible. And am I the only one who wants a game that brings a true end to the Templar v Assassin war?

Last edited by Taak Farst; 11-17-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

What a boring game this was. Maybe it's just that I'm not too familiar with American/Colonial history, or that I was feeling woozy, but I couldn't tell half of what was happening in the Connor story.

From what I could tell, 90% of the missions were linear set-piece runs, minigames or grandiose fights. The "stealth" sections, also, scripted last about 5 minutes each. What happened to actually staking out your enemies? Being left to your devices in an open world to take down targets?

The game also fails to tie-in the side-quests, bloated as they are, with the main game. How exactly did Connor's being a naval captain and economist-land-developer help the main game? Why does Connor, master assassin, personally manage accounts, crafting, trading and so on rather than - I don't know, hiring an assistant? I mean, he got a miner, hunter and farmer that way.

The side-quests aren't bad in themselves - I especially enjoyed the naval battles, but I finished the game without many of them, because I simply couldn't be bothered. The only side-questy stuff I've ignored in the past is the bomb-making in Revelations, which was as unnecessary as a cancer tumour that I'm afraid has taken over this game.

There was no point to the meticulous complexity of the bomb-making mechanic in Revelations, just as there is no point to all the side-stuff in AC3. Can we just get back to assassinating already?

I liked the interpersonal relationships in the game, between Connor with Achilles, Haytham and Lee (as well as the minor characters, like Putnam, Lafayette and that sailor dude). Sharing the love for Haytham, badass character and voice acting. Those scenes were handled really well, and I liked the overall theme of Connor's idealism and how lonely he is in that, compared to just about everyone in the game. But the overarching story, if you asked me to narrate to you, would largely be a blur for me.

Technical stuff was good - great lighting in particular. I loved the Frontier - it was boring, but it felt more organic and natural to move in than Skyrim. Voice acting ranged from great to amazingly bad. The bugs ruined it for me though. Connor running where I don't want him to, trying to climb where I don't want him to, not taking cover in the bushes when he's walking in them - I encountered at least 3-4 bugs an hour on the PC.

The interface is useless on the PC. Binding everything to the E key, the work of a master genius, means that when you try to counter an enemy, Connor decides it's a great time to pick up a fallen rifle. Changing weapons means holding a button to enter a completely different screen - because using the full set of numbers was such a pain. Even on the map, moving the marker requires dragging it with a mouse. Why oh why is that a better idea than using the bloody mouse?

I don't know if this is just franchise burnout, but I thought AC3 was the weakest, most boring game in the series so far.

-- END REVIEW-RANT --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militiades
Connor is as wooden as they come.
This is something I'm having trouble deciding. On one hand, he does speak in monotone, have a boring and fixed personality and a non-existent sense of humour. On the other though, I really like how that contrasts with the world. He is trying to play it safe and be a judge-vigilante-warrior-hero in a world that doesn't believe in it.
spoiler:
The clinching point for me was at the end, where Connor, after everything he has been through, realises that even though he fought for his village's continued existence, his own people just moved shop, and Juno had never intended him to fight for them. That made me feel really sorry for the poor, straight man.

Last edited by Sabretooth; 11-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, i thought that the game was fairly well done. i like the changes to the control scheme which helped to simplify the game a bit while adding some depth at the same time (Xbox 360 version, here). combat in particular was much more fluid as enemies seemed to actually want to attack you at will instead of waiting for you to counter them all the time. the tree running in particular was a nice touch, and after some practice, its not really all that hard to get Conner running in the right direction (although its still not perfect).

and the naval missions?? spectacular. i'm a big fan of that time period, and i'd have to say that if they had done a game without the naval missions, the game just wouldn't have fit the period very well. this was the apex of the Age of Sail, and to not include at least something similar would've been a huge disappointment. my only complaint is that it doesn't really suit Conner to have been a privateer captain. i thought that they could've worked the story around so that Conner was driven from the northern Colonies and forced to become more of a pirate captain so that he could force his way back in, but its a minor issue at best.

my last thing to note is also my biggest complaint with the game. why does everyone in the game have this whole "good intentions/bad execution" thing going on? Sam Adams is very idealistic, but omg he owns a slave!! Washington is a strong leader and a charismatic example of what the Revolution stands for, but he attacks and burns "helpless" indian tribes (nevermind the fact that they were actively aiding the British). the point that i'm making is that the game seems to be obviously written to magnify their flaws. they make them out to be power hungry with no real intention other than the benefit of themselves, and that they're not all that different than the Templars themselves. from a writing perspective, its a good idea, but it makes the historical aspect more of a backdrop than the reality the game is trying to portray.

in the end the game is a lot of fun. i think that i enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 a bit more, though, and the game has quite a few flaws in the design and writing departments. just remember, though, that even though a game isn't GotY material doesn't mean that its a bad game. this is a good one that fits into the series rather nicely, and its definitely worth playing.

7.5/10

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #28
*~*Darth pOOba*~*
Rookie

Current Game: The game of life
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this game, 10 outta 10 if ya ask me. I thought the story was phenomenal, the gameplay was very fluid, and I loved the naval missions. The only thing though is all the glitches, I’ve never played a new game with that many problems (I got it for Xbox) I’ve downloaded both updates and things still go wrong. I wonder if people even tested the game. The combat system has improved immensely, before you could just counter your way to victory, in this game you had to actually think about it. I never died in a fight in Brotherhood or Revelations, but in this one I sure did.

Desmond’s story: Well, there certainly was more of him than the previous games. But of course Desmond’s always seemed lacking somehow. But I did like how they finished out his story.

Connor: Altair was driven by duty, Ezio was driven by revenge, but Connor fought simply because it was the right thing to do, and that’s why, in my opinion, he’s better than all of ‘em. I’ve heard a lot of people say how Noah Watts gave a poor performance as Connor, but I could not disagree more. I could hear the emotion in his voice, the pain and the anger he felt. You could tell Connor cared deeply for his people and the cause for which he fought. I also loved that when Connor was amongst his people or in his village they spoke the language, which I think is simply beautiful.

I loved how Ubisoft presented the history and the fact that they chose a Native American as a protagonist, which is something we rarely see. And set during the American Revolution? I don’t think that has ever been done before, something very risky but I believe they pulled it off even with all the criticisms they received. I also really liked how they made you think, at least they did me. Things like: the patriots might be fighting for freedom but most of them own slaves, they might be fighting for equality but if you aren’t a white male you’re considered less important or a lesser being.
And the plot twist? Phew! This game was really good, I’m gonna buy every DLC, expansion pack, what have ya.

And well, Connor is a sexy beast…….

Geek is Chic

"...And we will never back down, because a life without freedom is not a life worth living." - Ratonhnhaké:ton

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
*~*Darth pOOba*~* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Assassin's Creed 3