lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Bitmap212
Lurker

[RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.

According to the latest issue of EGM (in the rumour section), Bioware are developing a Knights of the Republic MMORPG.

Awful news if true. Isn't the single player experience why Knights of the Old Republic such a good game?
Bitmap212 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Jediphile
Persona non grata

It is, yes. Try not to worry, though. Rumors about K3 are bound to pop up now and then. They have before, too, though this is the first time I've heard it was to be an MMORPG. It would also go totally against the basic concept behind the previous KotOR games.

Nah, I'll believe there's a K3 when Lucasarts itself says so.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine

And those are my two 0.02 €.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah...that wouldn't be cool...at all...

Besides, Star Wars MMORPGs don't have a good track record. At all. Let's leave it at SP only and pray that it stays that way. Forever.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Arrow Think ahead!

That's a very narrow-minded opinion of how Star Wars games should be. Just because the only Star Wars MMO made so far went straight down the drain at the hands of the idiot developers doesn't mean there can't be a good one in the future.

But if there ever is another MMO in the Star Wars universe, I don't want it KOTOR era.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

We already have SWG, so we don't need another. LA knows this. KotOR III will not be an MMORPG, thankfully.

As I've said before, I won't believe any "news" unless it comes directly from LucasArts or whoever K3's developers will be.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Not true. BioWare has stated before that they are not and will not work on KotOR III. They're interested in their own IP now.

Anyway, I doubt it's true if it's not been announced on an official site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

"OMG! I defeated the True Sith Leader and saved the Galaxy! I also met up with Revan as well..."

"Oh, you FINALLY completed that easy-pessy quest? I just done so 5 weeks ago, n00b."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I agree with all those who say that EGM is off their rocker on this one. I just don't see how or why LucasArts would do something like this. Not to mention what Emperor Devon already did about BioWare stating in no uncertain terms that they are not working on KotOR 3.

Of course a KotOR MMO wouldn't technically be KotOR 3 but whatever the case IMO it wouldn't make much sense to have a KotOR MMO.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
FALSE

I think LA knows nobody wants another mmo right now...

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
That's a very narrow-minded opinion of how Star Wars games should be. Just because the only Star Wars MMO made so far went straight down the drain at the hands of the idiot developers doesn't mean there can't be a good one in the future.
The problem is that people want to play as a Jedi, no matter what happens. Only the flight sims and Rogue Squadron managed to avoid the problem because it would make little sense to have a pilot wield a saber while sitting in his cockpit. Hey, look at what happened to Battlefront. The second one had to include playable Jedi even though, IMO, they're unnecessary.

Star Wars games without Jedi have had little success.

There's too many balance problems to consider. The Jedi can't be too powerful because then nobody would play another character class. It can't be too weak or else it wouldn't be true to the source material. Not having them playable will just have hordes of whiners crying for lightsabers or "it ain't Star Wars".

Whichever developer gets to do another Star Wars MMO would need to have huge testes to resist the fan pressure for Jedi inclusion. Unfortunately, there is no such developer.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by TKA-001
Eh..it ain't narrow-minded at all, Imo.
There is already a SW MMO. If they'd decide to create another one, it would be a stupid, because SW-fans would have to choose. Not to mention the loss of a single-player RPG franchise. It would ruin their Kotor-fanbase.
Plus, how do you plan on making the story well? After all, Galaxies ruinied the complete EU with it's "Obi-Wan Appearance" , "HK-cameo" , and all.

If you'd make an MMo out of it, it wouldn't work. Because K2 explained there are only a few Jedi left. How do you exlain several millions of Jedi running around the servers then?
Same goed for the missions. According to EU, a padawan is 'coupled' to a Master. If you want to make an MMO, we'd have one NPC Jedi Master, with as much as the afformentioned 2 million padawans.

To conclude:
MMO: NO
SP RPG: YES

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
There is already a SW MMO. If they'd decide to create another one, it would be a stupid, because SW-fans would have to choose. Not to mention the loss of a single-player RPG franchise.
QFE.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
Master Kavar

Not a chance...There's no way Lucasarts would allow two Star Wars MMORPG's at the same time, they would just be stealing their own profits. I'd love to play one though; I just can't take SWG seriously at all.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #15
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
A KOTOR MMO wouldn't go much anywhere. Galaxies is the only one they need. If they wanted, I guess they could make an expansion for it, but I doubt it'd be K3 itself. But whatever there's not much point on discussing this any further...

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #16
pokejedi123
Rookie

Il stick with SP,but if an MMORPG was made its one of those damn Galaxies Expansion pack,i have the first 3(i got these for 2005 christmas,my aunt got them from america)and thanks but no thanks,i would play galaxies if it woulnt be so damn expensive!!!(i would play RS member instead and we know how people think RS Sucks to hell),RS is 5 dollars,SWG is like so-WOW-price-like.in estonian money(kroon)its like 75(RS) and i dont know how much thar SWG price is.The same money i can spend if i played galaxies i could buy KOTOR 1 of 2.

pokejedi123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitmap212
According to the latest issue of EGM (in the rumour section), Bioware are developing a Knights of the Republic MMORPG.

Awful news if true. Isn't the single player experience why Knights of the Old Republic such a good game?
If Galaxies is anything to go by, this won't work especially if its with SOE.
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #18
Devilsfanatic

I scoffed at the notion when I heard about this. Absolutely ridiculous.

Darth Milhouse
Devilsfanatic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #19
Hoad
Rookie

Hot Topic Starter 
In my opinion, role playing games should never be played online, there's no way you can have a decent story and everything that makes an RPG what it is when you're playing online.

I call BS
Hoad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #20
kotor_freak
Rookie

Yeah, if this becomes a reality i think it may destroy the Kotor franchise, i mean i'll still play the games and enjoy the single player ones but it just won't help it more i think. I wouldn't like to lose that reality of me being the greatest hero in the Star Wars universe

I mean i bet every one who has played the Kotor games hasn't ran around the room after completeling the game, twirling a toy lightsaber around, making "swooshing" noises and shouting, "I'm Revan, bow down before me for i am your master!"

Bringing Kotor online would just make me sad, i wouldn't like to be travelling around with a million other exiles.

"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #21
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
YOU ARE DESTINED TO DEFEAT LORD MALIK!

But first you must kill all these fuzzy bunnies and deliver these packages...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #22
kotor_freak
Rookie

Hehehehehe

Nice one Prime...

But your so out of it, i completed that quest years ago, god... :P:P

Maybe you should stick to the single-player kotor games...:P:P
Leave the online Kotor to the men.

"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 AM   #23
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
YOU ARE DESTINED TO DEFEAT LORD MALIK!

But first you must kill all these fuzzy gizka and deliver these packages...
@ Fixed!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 03:07 AM   #24
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

It's false. As Moeller said, nobody wants another MMO now, especially after WoW stole everybody's subscribers. And secondly, KotOR is a strictly single-player franchise (I hope) and it will not be taken multiplayer, ever.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #25
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
It's false. As Moeller said, nobody wants another MMO now, especially after WoW stole everybody's subscribers. And secondly, KotOR is a strictly single-player franchise (I hope) and it will not be taken multiplayer, ever.
I'd like to see some sort of multiplayer option in Kotor 3, maybe in the swoop racing minigame - i think it'll give the series a nice twist; but a Kotor MMO i believe will destroy the series. Like so many have said it's a single-player only franchise and should stay that way. Besides, who would want to pay playing fees for a Kotor experience when you can just buy Kotor 1&2 and play that instead - a ridiculous idea at best!
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotor_freak
But your so out of it, i completed that quest years ago, god... :P:P
But you must do it again...and again...and again.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #27
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Prime
....because there is a slim chance the quest reward will be the 'Awesome Toewarmer of +5 vs Ewoks'

Can't play the game without it

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #28
kotor_freak
Rookie

Quote:
Hmm, damn, didn't know that.

Quote:
....because there is a slim chance the quest reward will be the 'Awesome Toewarmer of +5 vs Ewoks'
Got 'em, Uber pwnage. Innit.

Another thing why they shouldn't bring Kotor online, i can't stand all that online talk:

n00b, nub, pwned, pwnage, etc.

Character: In you face Revan! I uber pwned you! Go home and play with the
other n00bcakes!

Revan: Eh?

Character: I dunno either, but everyone else says stuff like that.

Revan: Damn, i should never of signed that deal with lucasarts.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 AM   #29
Mister Chief
Rookie

KOTOR Mentioned in EGM for MAy issue

While we all know you can't trust rumors, this month there was a reather specific rumor about KOTOR. Basically, the Rumor Mill guy says that Bioware is forming a new team to create a MMO version of KOTOR.

While this is obviously just a rumor, it is exciting to think of the possibility. He also says that the same source told him that The PC Exclusive Dragon Age from Bioware will also be coming to the PS3 and that the new DS game is Baulder's Gate. So if those come true, it gives the MMO game a better chance.
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 AM   #30
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Hmmm.... hmmmm....

hmmmmmmm....

well crap. If it's indeed true, that is.
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #31
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
They are desecrating the KotOR legacy if they do that!

Although, i will try to play it if it is true.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 05:53 AM   #32
playloud
Rookie

I highly doubt this. I don't think Lucasarts wants to touch another MMORPG. SWG is a disaster!

If it is true however, I think it is the worst thing that could possible happen in the series. I played Knights of the Old Republic after getting very tired of every MMORPG I was playing (EQ, EQII, SWG). It was like an awakening! I realized the problem with MMORPG's, is that everybody wants to be the center of attention.

Take SWG for example. They originally wanted Jedi to be VERY rare. Problem was, EVERYBODY wanted to be a Jedi. So they gave in, and now everybody can be a Jedi. Of course, being a Jedi is no longer special because of that.

If they make a Knights of the Old Republic MMORPG, you will have everybody wanting to be Revan/Exile/etc. Obviously, that can't happen.

The best part about Knights of the Old Republic was the story. I don't see how a truly good story can exist with an MMORPG, in which players believe they are actually a part of it.

If Bioware can pull that off, that could be interesting. Frankly, I have EXTREME doubts as to whether an MMORPG of this kind can work. Personally, I would much rather see the series continue with single player games. That way, everybody is the center of the story.

playloud is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #33
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
The KotOR MMO rumor, perpetuated by EGM, has already been brought up in the [RUMOR] KotOR MMO in Production thread.

I submit a motion for thread consolidation.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #34
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I second the motion for thread merger and vote for it. Voting unanimous, motion carries. Thread merged.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #35
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Well, everyone is afraid that it will replace KOTOR 3. Maybe not? Maybe it's just an MMO in the KotOR timeline. Everyone being a Jedi does make sense now. A lot more then in Galaxies.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #36
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Chief
While we all know you can't trust rumors, this month there was a reather specific rumor about KOTOR. Basically, the Rumor Mill guy says that Bioware is forming a new team to create a MMO version of KOTOR.

While this is obviously just a rumor, it is exciting to think of the possibility. He also says that the same source told him that The PC Exclusive Dragon Age from Bioware will also be coming to the PS3 and that the new DS game is Baulder's Gate. So if those come true, it gives the MMO game a better chance.
No! That's not true!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.......

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #37
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
No! That's not true!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.......
Search your feelings Jediphile..... You Know it to be True!

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
Search your feelings Jediphile..... You Know it to be True!
NOOOOOooooo - NOOOOOOOooooooo.....

[jumps into nearby conveniently-placed bottomless pit]

Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #39
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

I actually found some MMORPG engines and I thought of converting them into creating a Star Wars MMORPG, taking place during the Great Hyperspace War. It would be a stragery game though, and Jedi would just be military units being used by generals to blow up enemies. It would be less like Runescape and more like running around like merchants getting tons of credits.

If there is demand for MMORPGs, should I actually make such a game and thereby stop LA from doing such stupidty, ruining the KOTOR era to make a couple of bucks? I would rather ruin any era rather than the KOTOR era...and actually playing in the Great Hyperspace War might actually be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #40
Sith_Reven
Rookie

I would be supremely disappointed if an MMO came out. I might consider amputating my own leg in frustration. As a temporary dialup user this prospect leaves me out of the loop, which is not where I want to be in the kotor community. Blast it all!!! I wouldn't even consider destroying kotor is so petty an manner. And even worse I would have to buy it and spend many days playing this game anyway, because afterall it would be part of kotor.

Savior, conquerer, Hero, Villian... You are all things Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the darkness nor the light. You will forever stand alone.
-Malak
Sith_Reven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.