lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #41
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Yes, umm, errr, no.

Just no.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #42
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Chief
While we all know you can't trust rumors, this month there was a reather specific rumor about KOTOR. Basically, the Rumor Mill guy says that Bioware is forming a new team to create a MMO version of KOTOR.
I will be rather disappointed if this turns out to be true and no more KotOR single player games are developed as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
Well, everyone is afraid that it will replace KOTOR 3. Maybe not? Maybe it's just an MMO in the KotOR timeline. Everyone being a Jedi does make sense now. A lot more then in Galaxies.
Interesting. So perhaps the KotOR MMO could become the place for all those that wanted to play as Jedi, where Jedi players are dominant, and SWG could go back to the way it was originally set up, where Jedi are fairly rare. Such a move would have the potential of satisfying two large but diametrically opposed player groups. Still, having two SW MMO's seems like it would be audacious and rather risky in terms of getting enough players. Things that make me go hmmm...
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #43
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I've heard this too on EGM. But do LA really expects us to play two MMORPGs of Star Wars? And worse, transforming the franchise on a trash pit full of insatisfied SWG players? They better think on what they're doing. Now, I'm not denying the game already, but I hope they son't do *unwrittable* with the franchise.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #44
Web Rider

While in ways it IS a good idea, Kotor needs a central plotline to be interesting. I could see an MMO working if it was done very, very specificly, but overall I think it'd be far too complicated.

Lets just stick with single player or possibly co-op.
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #45
dewayne26
Rookie

i heard the bioware mmo was a mmo jade empire...............just what i heard

Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 11:03 AM   #46
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I would expect that if there is a KOTOR MMO it would just be based in that era, and not take over the story of the current series.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #47
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, according to rumor the upcoming kotor MMO will include ridable gizka, ewok android, yoyo lightsaber, and players can play as a rancor or a mynock...

According to rumor.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #48
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewayne26
i heard the bioware mmo was a mmo jade empire...............just what i heard

Wasn't it a Mass Effect MMORPG?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #49
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Thumbs down Et Tu Lucas?

Do not doubt the power of Greed.

Lucas did rush KOTOR 2 for christmas.
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #50
1337mandalorian
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
Well, according to rumor the upcoming kotor MMO will include ridable gizka, ewok android, yoyo lightsaber, and players can play as a rancor or a mynock...

According to rumor.
A very interesting rumor. Where did you hear it.

Darth Vader: If this is a consular ship, please tell the ambassador to come out of hiding so that we may discuss this like civilized beings.
1337mandalorian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #51
dewayne26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Wasn't it a Mass Effect MMORPG?
i heard that it was mass effect also DragonAge. but in my honest i think mass effect would be the logical choice

Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
Sevn_Aten
Rookie

I still think there is the potential to create a good SW MMO, provided you have a good dev team (ie not SOE), but you would have to solve the various inherent problems that currently plague MMORPGs. Many posts here claim it wouldn't work because they already have SWG and LA won't/can't support two MMOs. The problem with that argument is that SWG sucks, not to mention it's ancient in video game years. I think that a new SW MMORPG based in whatever time line deemed appropriate has the potential to be very good. The jedi conundrum is obviously another issue that would doom any attempt at an MMO if it is not done right.
Sevn_Aten is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #53
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

The problem is LA is kind of stuck with SWG. If they come out and say Galaxies is done and they'll do a new one, there will be an outcry from all the players that spent countless hours building up their characters and invested time in the game.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #54
GarfieldJL
Banned

I'd say no on so many levels, I personal don't have SWG and will probably never play SWG, because I'm not paying for a game that I then have to keep paying a fee per month to play a game that I paid for.
GarfieldJL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #55
Jediphile
Persona non grata

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=162675

Okay, I'm now officially a bit worried...

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #56
SykoRevan

If LucasArts were to do an expansion to Galaxies that was like a spin-off to KotOR, that would be okay, especially for Galaxies players who like the KotOR timeline better than the Glactic Civil War Era. However, to make KotOR 3 an MMO would be a major screw-up, since one of the most attracting things about KotOR is the story, and MMO's aren't exactly known for good stories... after all, not everyone can be a super-powerful Jedi like Revan and the Exile.

SykoRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #57
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=162675

Okay, I'm now officially a bit worried...
Meh. It's just CVG posting an article on EGM's rumour report which is what started this thread to begin with or in other words more of the same.

I will have to check out the "news" about Mass Effect being pushed back to September though.

I don't know what LucasArts is going to do with SWG but it seems like they need to reinvigorate it. Maybe LIAYD's idea is the one they'll pursue, returning SWG to its roots and using a KotOR MMO for all the Jedi-wannabes. If a KotOR MMO does end up happening though I'm almost guaranteed to try it out as my first experience with a MMORPG.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #58
Sevn_Aten
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
The problem is LA is kind of stuck with SWG. If they come out and say Galaxies is done and they'll do a new one, there will be an outcry from all the players that spent countless hours building up their characters and invested time in the game.
well, to a certain extent I agree, but you have consider that as technology improves there will be new games to replace old ones. I mean, everquest 2 had no problem replacing everquest 1. Yea, people from EQ1 complained but SOE kept both games running and let people choose which they liked better. SWG is about 4 years old now, isn't it? A new SW MMO to improve upon SWG is not completely out of the question.

That said, personally I'm not all that into MMORPGs anymore. I'd much rather see an open-ended single player RPG like Oblivion made in the KOTOR storyline.
Sevn_Aten is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #59
Son of Skywalker15
Rookie

If this is a supplement to the ongoing series, then it's fine by me. I have and play Galaxies, and it's worth the money ( it isn't that much if you are lucky and are given gift cards for your holidays.) However, if it would to be a Kotor 3, I wouldn't be to happy...
Son of Skywalker15 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #60
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Onasi
However, if it would to be a Kotor 3, I wouldn't be to happy...

I wouldn't worry about that. You can't tell a monstrous story like a Kotor episode on a MMOG... I hope.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #61
Merc29
Lurker

Well, an MMO would stink, especially considering how you have to pay a ton of money MONTHLY, and also, even if they lowered the fee and it actually worked, how many adults do you know have the time and energy to spend it on video games? The teen agers and children are who play more, but they can't pay, their parents have to pay.
Also, if you make millions of revans or exiles or whatever run around, then what point would it be to be that character? you'd just be a clone. Plus, the ability to tweak your character as much as you want in KOTOR, especially name, would all be ruined. And also, what would happen to the party members??? I mean, the party members many times have been an important role, like Bastilla, who turns to the darkside, or Kreia, who in fact is a Sith Lord. Without this, how fun would an MMO have? And since we have seen that in terms of plot the new developers aren't terribly good, this would only screw it up.
Merc29 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #62
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc29
how many adults do you know have the time and energy to spend it on video games? The teen agers and children are who play more, but they can't pay, their parents have to pay.
You'd be surprised! And there are several MMOs that are successful, so they obviously can pay.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #63
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
You'd be surprised! And there are several MMOs that are successful, so they obviously can pay.
Do any of them, by any chance, happen to be succesful because (mostly) real people play them or just computer-controlled bots and grinders who happen to pay money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #64
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah...the millions of people playing World of WarCraft are all bots...sure man...There's no "real" people playing any MMO...drugs are bad for you.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #65
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
Yeah...the millions of people playing World of WarCraft are all bots...sure man...There's no "real" people playing any MMO...drugs are bad for you.
Of course real people play MMORPGs. Runescape and World of Warcraft have over eight million people playing... each, that is!

However, not all players do so for the same reason. There are certainly bots playing or people playing multiple characters at the same time to earn game credits that can later be converted into hard currency. They are probably few (or else there would be little point, since who would they then peddle their wares to?), but they do exist.

MMORPGs are rarely plot-driven, though, and there's a fundamental difference in style right there.

A single-player CRPG like the KotOR games have very linear plots, but while that may seem restrictive gaming-wise, it offers better potential for richer plot and characters because it can all be specific to the limited conditions that have been set for the game. CRPGs are frequently plots as seen in movies or novles, where the player has some semblance of influence over the fights, but not how the plots evolve.

MMORGPs, however, must by definition be generic, because the demand is "one size must fit all." Every character in MMORPGs is a pc, so there are only protagonists and virtually no sidekicks. Therefore the format of the game must fit to the player's character no matter how that character turns out to be. This frequently makes for very generic "plots" in the form of quests that the protagonist can have nothing invested in personally. The driving force is solely the accumulation of power, be it in experience levels, gears and items, credits or whatever.

Some like one, some like the other. I tend more toward CRPGs myself, because the plots are deeper, and the MMORGPs often look too much like hackfests and dungeoncrawling to me, but that's personal taste and not criticism. If MMORPG is your thing, then good for you. I just haven't enjoyed them so much yet.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #66
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
You haven't seen ProgressQuest, have you?

Or, say, many other MMORPGs where the fun is not in playing the game, but rather in coming up with scripts to bot your way to victory, arguing with the "other side" in saying that you are really not cheating, and not getting caught in the process. Some developers hate cheaters, but other developers secretly support them...after all these developers get money for more "accounts" playing the game. It does not matter if they cheat, or if they do not cheat, only that they "play", and thereby let the developers gain valuable ad reveune.

I also vouch with Jediphile the existence of people using bots to play the game to "mine" lots of in-game credits to sell in real life. Some services "train" your characters, so you don't have to play, you just pay to get an uber-powerful Being.

In the end, you can cheat in an MMORPG to win. This means that unless I cheat, I lose. You say: Only a few people "cheat"...so what? I say: Those few people have became much more powerful than me, and they have done so by violating the social contract...or playing by a different social contract that I refuse to play.

So much for playing MMORPGs for "fun". Here's one big strike against KOTOR MMO.

Quote:
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #67
smhiggz
Rookie

IMO, a mmo set in the KOTOR timeline COULD work. For example, there are two distinct factions of relatively equal power (Republic/Sith) and i'm talking about the jedi civil war era. Unlike the current star wars mmo where the rebels are supposed to be a bunch of underground freedom fighters who are up against the imperial juggernaught, there is actually a full scale war going on where players could choose which faction to pledge their allegiances to or stay nutral and work for whoever offers the most credits ie: smugglers and bounty hunters. Also, it would solve the jedi problem that SWG always had, people could choose to become jedi and it would be perfectly cannon. And as far as the balancing of jedi and the other classes goes I got the impression when I was playing KOTOR1 that the jedi/dark jedi were not the all powerful beings that they were portrayed as in the movies. It seemed like non-jedi were killing jedi quite a bit at that time in the galaxy.

just my two cents
smhiggz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #68
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhiggz
IMO, a mmo set in the KOTOR timeline COULD.
I agree, it doesn't have to be a replacement for K3, the era is cool and so is galaxies, why not mix it up a bit? the more Star Wars the better I say.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #69
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
You haven't seen ProgressQuest, have you?
No, nor do I give a damn.

Quote:
Or, say, many other MMORPGs where the fun is not in playing the game, but rather in coming up with scripts to bot your way to victory, arguing with the "other side" in saying that you are really not cheating, and not getting caught in the process. Some developers hate cheaters, but other developers secretly support them...after all these developers get money for more "accounts" playing the game. It does not matter if they cheat, or if they do not cheat, only that they "play", and thereby let the developers gain valuable ad reveune.

I'd love to see serious evidence of this. In fact, buying gold for example, would lower the revenue for any game. Why? People spend less time farming, thus less time playing.

In fact, I'd love to see you somehow assume that every single MMORPG follows these things. It seems to be a symptom of free games, from what you're telling me.

Quote:
I also vouch with Jediphile the existence of people using bots to play the game to "mine" lots of in-game credits to sell in real life. Some services "train" your characters, so you don't have to play, you just pay to get an uber-powerful Being.
Power leveling and gold buying. Some people pay for that. So what? It's the loss of the person paying those services. If somebody has an uber character, what does it change in your life?

Quote:
In the end, you can cheat in an MMORPG to win. This means that unless I cheat, I lose. You say: Only a few people "cheat"...so what? I say: Those few people have became much more powerful than me, and they have done so by violating the social contract...or playing by a different social contract that I refuse to play.

So much for playing MMORPGs for "fun". Here's one big strike against KOTOR MMO.
So, they become much more powerful then you. So now you must cut yourself because your life is over?

Hey, I wonder why I keep replying to your senseless posts.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #70
smhiggz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
I agree, it doesn't have to be a replacement for K3, the era is cool and so is galaxies, why not mix it up a bit? the more Star Wars the better I say.
exactly. it dosen't have to REPLACE K3. This project IF (and it's a big if) it's even going to happen might just be KOTOR Online NOT K3. they might release K3 as a completely different game. That way the the singleplayer fans and the multiplayer ones will be happy.
smhiggz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #71
ExiledFish
Rookie

Here what can imagine a report of the mmo state after two days.

Two days after press release the KOTOR MMORPG is filled filled with 8 year old siths wielding double ended light sabers. So far only five member have become Jedi and the rest of the population are exchange bounty hunter who have vowed to hunt these Jedi down...

I don't think it will go well.

[Center] |*~|My Work|~*| *~|~* Star Wars: Darkness Of The Past *~|~* Atop The Rakata Temple *~|~*
ExiledFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #72
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Two days after press release the KOTOR MMORPG is filled filled with 8 year old siths wielding double ended light sabers. So far only five member have become Jedi and the rest of the population are exchange bounty hunter who have vowed to hunt these Jedi down...
My interest in the KOTOR MMO just gone up. 5 people versus the rest of the game would be quite...fun. For the bounty hunters I mean.

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #73
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFish
Here what can imagine a report of the mmo state after two days.

I don't think it will go well.

Well, if it's this hard becoming a Jedi, then all Galaxies problems have been solved! Hooray!
Old 05-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #74
ExiledFish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
Well, if it's this hard becoming a Jedi, then all Galaxies problems have been solved! Hooray!
If its hard. What if your allowed to start as one. Or even worse the way you become one is some ridiculous quest which involves a Banana a mans stomoach and some wookie fur?

[Center] |*~|My Work|~*| *~|~* Star Wars: Darkness Of The Past *~|~* Atop The Rakata Temple *~|~*
Old 05-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #75
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
^Well, I was just kidding. To tell you the truth, I've never played Galaxies...
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #76
ExiledFish
Rookie

^ It's bad... really bad...

Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #77
LordJerec
Rookie

Well you guys, if it's gonna be a MMO game of kotor i'd say no, if kotor 3 comes out.. i would like to have some kind of option to go online, but first you'll have to complete the game like as Revan, but in a online experience, there should have been some kind of option in the menu where it says who you can play as, not that I care, but I would like it to be something like this: I.E they could have put in characters like Revan who cannonicaly is a male, you could have followers in the game as Bastila and Carth, since in kotor 2 you'll see a small cutscene where you'll see Bastila and Carth, all of the other is dead, since they crashed the shuttle in the ground, Mira survives if you play the lightside ending, but if you'd like it to be different, just say so... this is how I want it... in the game you'll play online, you have to have a good persuade skill even if you would like others to join you if you don't have good persuade skill the persons influence will go down and he won't talk to you at all (failure), you can't cotrol this, only the person with a high persuade skill, and also it should have been something like this: if a character has been taken, others can not choose this person or skin(I.E I wanna play as Revan, it stats: I'm sorry but this character is already taken, choose a different character to play with.) and it could have been different skins like Darth Malak in the online folder, and it should have been something like this: JKA possibility to play online, just so you don't have to push the button again and again...

Last edited by LordJerec; 05-07-2007 at 08:49 AM.
LordJerec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #78
Vaelastraz
Veteran

Personally I doubt that yet another Star Wars MMORPG will be released. But then again, World of Warcraft is such a total mind blowing success.. developers want to have their share of that market. And they go on and copy Blizzard's game, but that's senseless.

I read somwhere that, among MMORPGs:
Wow: 8.million players
Lineage 2: 1.5 million players
SWG has perhaps 300.000 players.
Do you really think that Lucasarts will release another MMORPG?
Vaelastraz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #79
ExiledFish
Rookie

Yes but the thing is just by putting KOTOR in the title it will still sell. We as customer are looking for what happens next and will probably go and buy it just for that. They have us trapped. And its not a good thing.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #80
Jediphile
Persona non grata

^^

Not really. For example, as much as I love the first two games, if KotOR3 is not on the pc, then I won't be playing it.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > [RUMOUR] Kotor MMO in Production.