lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Quit while they're ahead?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Question Quit while they're ahead?

Well...did anyone else find that KOTOR 2 was underwhelming? Like, my question is that...does anyone think that Lucasarts should quit while they are ahead (as in not make KOTOR 3)? Like...they could end up making the game great, but I personally feel that they have a bigger chance of ruining the formula, and then it will have been all for nothing. Don't get me wrong, I love KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (not so much 2), but it just seems like Lucasarts has a pretty good chance of screwing up KOTOR 3 (if they make it)...that's all I'm saying. Opinions?



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
kotor_freak
Rookie
 
kotor_freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Behind You ;D
Posts: 121
I can see what you mean, but personally (because i'm stubborn ) i'd have to disagree. TSL wasn't finished to it's full capabilities seen as LA rushed Obsidian to finish the game and release it. If they do make K3 (or are) from what i see, the more time spent on the game, the better.

That means most of the bugs or glitches maybe sorted out, put more detail into the game, strengthen the storyline etc.

Meh, LA are probably devolping it in secret and then they'll blow it upon us like a big suprise


"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Actually was discussed.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...=174859&page=4

Also was discussed in some other place, but I could not find it.

I think consesus is that while K3 might be a failure, it is better to try your best rather than to run away from your challenges. There is also an interesting speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architect
We just don't know do we? I also fear that KotOR III could be a BIG failure. Many people don't agree on what should be in KotOR III and what it should be about, so what is a success to some people will be a failure to others.

Maybe LA and/or Obsidian are "doing their research" to see what will be the most popular way to do KotOR III, to maximise profits and please as many people as they can. Is that why there's a KotOR III Ideas and Suggestions thread on Obsidian? Is that why LA has one as well? I wonder...
I also read however that any designers for games are not allowed to look at the boards, for fear that they could be pandering to gamers or be accused of plagrizing unoriginal ideas. But it is something to think about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
kotor_freak
Rookie
 
kotor_freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Behind You ;D
Posts: 121
Thats an interesting speculation.

Quote:
I think consesus is that while K3 might be a failure, it is better to try your best rather than to run away from your challenges.
Exactly, good point.

And maybe K3 may not be made because of all the commotion of people wanting certain things and others wanting something else, like in the quote, success to others will be failure to others. That's a really good point.


"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X
kotor_freak is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
I also read however that any designers for games are not allowed to look at the boards, for fear that they could be pandering to gamers or be accused of plagrizing unoriginal ideas. But it is something to think about.
That's so ridiculous. Why wouldn't the company want to look at what their fans want? Good ol' Lucasarts.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
stoffe
Network Caretaker
 
stoffe's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,833
Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
I also read however that any designers for games are not allowed to look at the boards, for fear that they could be pandering to gamers or be accused of plagrizing unoriginal ideas.
Some individual game studio may have such a policy, but far from all of them. In fact from what I've seen most game developers tend to be most active on their forums before the game they work on is released, while after release they all seem to vanish (probably to avoid having to take antidepressants after reading all the whining and complaints about the product they've poured their heart and soul into over the past few years )

* * *

As for the main subject of this thread I think they should make KOTOR 3 and let the customers be the judge if they succeeded or not. Those who don't like the idea of another sequel can just avoid buying the game and pretend it doesn't exist.

stoffe is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Darca Lar
Forumite
 
Darca Lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 532
Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
LA has had good and bad games, we know that. But I don't think they're gonna give up on this series just yet. And I'm pretty sure they've heard talks about things discussed in forums about it, but that really doesn't matter to me at this point. I only care about the possibility of such a game right now.


Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Zerimar Nyliram
Senior Member
 
Zerimar Nyliram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA
Posts: 1,449
Forum Veteran 
I don't think that just because the last game was so much less than it could have been (I still say that it would have been better than the first had they finished it), that that is any reason why they shouldn't continue the series. If they've got the same writers that worked on the first one, I'm sure they won't leave us disappointed. I see the incompleteness of KOTOR 2 as a golden opportunity to continue the story, not to abandon it. There are so many directions it can take from there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a silly noob View Post
YOURS VERY SLOW ! PLS NEW PROGRESSS PLS NEW UPDATES PLS DARK FORCES FİNAL VERSİON İ CAN WAİTİNG KOTF PART 1 RELEASED 5 YEAR AND İTS 1 MAN ( OSMAN GUNYAZ DEVELOPERS ) BUT YOURS VERY PEOPLE İ CANT WAİTİNG 5 YEARS
Zerimar Nyliram is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darca Lar
LA has had good and bad games, we know that. But I don't think they're gonna give up on this series just yet. And I'm pretty sure they've heard talks about things discussed in forums about it, but that really doesn't matter to me at this point. I only care about the possibility of such a game right now.
I know for a fact that they won't give up on the series just yet, and I'm 99.99% sure that another KOTOR game will be released (plz remember that there's that .01% so you you don't come crying to me when they don't)...it's just such a "cash cow" that you'd be foolish not to make more...the fanbase is there...and so is the overall support of the public. That's not my point though. My point is that, I don't know if Lucasarts cares as much about making a quality game that's up to par with the first KOTOR, rather than just making a lot of money...it could go either way though.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Exclamation Paranoid.

Quote:
Well...did anyone else find that KOTOR 2 was underwhelming? Like, my question is that...does anyone think that Lucasarts should quit while they are ahead (as in not make KOTOR 3)?
Quit while they're ahead? Dude, you can't quit while you're ahead if you're behind. They would be ahead if they actually finished K2. And even then, it would leave a huge gaping hole in the Star Wars timeline to never reveal the mystery of the True Sith and all that stuff.

Quote:
Like...they could end up making the game great, but I personally feel that they have a bigger chance of ruining the formula, and then it will have been all for nothing.
I seriously doubt that it would be even possible for LucasArts to screw up K3 if they got a competent company to make the story, and if the gameplay itself was at least as good as the previous two.

Regardless of what we (the people of this forum) think, I would truely be amazed if there was never a K3. The KOTOR series is pretty popular, and its games are probably the best of the Star Wars franchise to be released since the X-Wing series. Lucasarts has never failed to cash in on something's popularity, and with the last of the Star Wars movies completed, they certainly won't fail now.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
JediMasterJambi
Rookie
 
JediMasterJambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Posts: 99
I would rather them try and fail than not try at all. And KOTOR 2 was rushed. Hopefully Lucas won't rush the damn game makers this time, and let them do their thing.
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Henz
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 362
Despite it's flaws, I play TSL more than the first. It's improvements outweigh it's faults for me... just.

This thread is contradictorary (sp?). If you think the last game sucked, how could they quit while they're ahead? And the implication that they'll only follow the path you decide means to people who believe TSL was better, there's no point in quitting while they're ahead because the 3rd will be even better.

I hope there will be no rushed dealines on the 3rd... there shouldn't be.... they're not rushing to get bloody started.
Henz is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Well..."quit while they're ahead" is more of an expression than anything. Unlike me, most people still seem to support Lucasarts producing KOTOR 3...I'm one of the few (very few) that wouldn't mind them not making another KOTOR (even though I liked both games)...



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
Point Man
Seeker of Truth
 
Point Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The People's Palace
Posts: 612
Guys, it will be made for one simple reason: it will make money.


Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable
 
Arátoeldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Karningul
Posts: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Some individual game studio may have such a policy, but far from all of them. In fact from what I've seen most game developers tend to be most active on their forums before the game they work on is released, while after release they all seem to vanish (probably to avoid having to take antidepressants after reading all the whining and complaints about the product they've poured their heart and soul into over the past few years )

* * *

As for the main subject of this thread I think they should make KOTOR 3 and let the customers be the judge if they succeeded or not. Those who don't like the idea of another sequel can just avoid buying the game and pretend it doesn't exist.
Well stated stoffe. I know for a fact that Josh Saywer the lead designer for NWN2 is a very active member on a very large Vbull forum. Plus there are other game design companies that have people post on this forum.


Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Those who don't like the idea of another sequel can just avoid buying the game and pretend it doesn't exist.
That made me and think of the following scenario.

Setting: Shortly after release of KotOR 3.

stoffe: Hey cutmeister, have you played KotOR 3 yet?
cutmeister {in a crazed maniacal state}: KotOR 3? KotOR 3 you say!?!? KotOR 3 is dead to me!!! DEAD I SAY!!! {shakes fist in the air} THERE IS NO KotOR 3!!!
stoffe: Uh, yeah. I, uh, gotta go check my PM's now. Yeah, check my PM's. {quickly exits}



Anyway, IMHO LucasArts owes KotOR fans for shortchanging us with KotOR II: TSL. Without question I think they should make KotOR 3 and at this time indications are that KotOR 3 should happen at some point in the future. It seems like it's just a question of when though I'm growing apathetic about the answer to that.
Char Ell is offline   you may:
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 PM   #17
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
Guys, it will be made for one simple reason: it will make money.
I already said that...



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 04-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Darca Lar
Forumite
 
Darca Lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 532
Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by legowar
I know for a fact that they won't give up on the series just yet, and I'm 99.99% sure that another KOTOR game will be released (plz remember that there's that .01% so you you don't come crying to me when they don't)...
well then it's not a fact until that .01% switches over to the sure side. But other than that "it's not over 'til it's over".


Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may:
Old 04-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #19
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Okay, somebody close this thread b/c this is just getting ridiculous

As you wish. -RH



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out

Last edited by RedHawke; 04-17-2007 at 12:59 AM.
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Quit while they're ahead?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.