lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island 1 remake - come on
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
paprik123456
Rookie

Current Game: Indiana jones
Wink Monkey Island 1 remake - come on

Can somebody help me with MI 1 remake? I am very good background artist and I need character artists and programmers....thank you

2D/3D Artist and Animator
Patrik Spacek

Last edited by paprik123456; 06-19-2007 at 05:11 AM.
paprik123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by paprik123456
Can somebody help me with MI 1 remake? I am very good background artist and I need character artist and programmer....thank you

Second question: Can somebody take pics out from MI 1 game and also updated put them back?? If there is any profi man, contact me... I would also make MI 1 look better and put new pics to old engine.....thank you..
I've been wanting to do this for a long, long time. The only way it can be done is by re-creating MI in another engine, such as AGS, which would be very easy and pretty sensible, too.

It's not a popular idea, though, but I do believe if it was done well, it could be really good. Any chance I could see some samples of your work?

EDIT: Just found your website.......... WOW! Nice stuff! I would love to help out any way I can... I can easily help with the coding aspects. Your work on your site is really nice. I wonder if a few digital touch-ups could remove the '3Dness' a bit and soften the edges, as it were? Stunning stuff!

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Nice work, Patrik, although your lighting and texturing might need some work.

Since you're working with 3dsmax, I'd suggest you'd take a look at the free versions of VRay or Brazil, just to test how you get along with either one. I still prefer VRay, but that might just be because I'm using it for years now, and I got used to it.

Modeling- and composition-wise your images look really good though.

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Agreed, I like those backgrounds.

There isn't currently a tool to replace MI1 backgrounds and even if someone were to create one it wouldn't necessarily be right for you as the V5 SCUMM engine is limited to 256 colour backgrounds. As Thunderpeel says, a remake in a more modern engine would be a better (albeit legally dubious) option.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Very nice!

I can be of no help here, but there was a Maniac Mansion remake that came out a few years ago (Maniac Mansion Deluxe) and as far as I know, those guys haven't been accosted by the LucasArts legal team. But I would imagine Monkey Island is a property they would defend more aggresively than Maniac Mansion - perhaps you could contact the MMDX team and see if they got permission (or the equivalent of) before releasing?

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Yep, I was thinking of MMDX when I recommended AGS... They did a very decent job with that software, so I don't really think there'd be any need to use anything else.

This is my favourite one:
http://www.3dspacek.webz.cz/img/3dgallery/Monkey4-l.jpg

Looks 99% perfect! Amazing! Some of the other stuff (especially Melee Town Centre) looks a bit blocky, but I imagine some digital painting TLC could sort that out. Great job! Really, really nice!

Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
joelphilippage
Lurker

I really hope you continue with this project. You should take a look at the 3d character plugin for AGS. Heres an example of what I made with it.
joelphilippage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #8
heath1992
Lurker

Hey guys. I'm a programmer, but I don't think I would be able to devote enough time to a project such as this (which is a great idea by the way). There are other options than AGS as well. The tool that I use is called SLUDGE (a programming language meant for adventure games) made by Tim Furnish (creator of 'Out of Order' for those who have played it). It's great, free and a really flexible programming language. You can get SLUDGE at http://www.hungrysoftware.com/tools/sludge/ . You should check it out.
heath1992 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #9
scabb
zo

Absolutely love the 3D backgrounds, my favourite is probably the shop. Looks a little like a Grim Fandango. It would be nice to see a 3D Guybrush wandering around these environments, I don't think AGS or Sludge could really do them justice. Get someone to write it in C using OpenGL.
scabb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
john_doe

IMO creating a small engine for this kind of game wouldn't be that hard. especially if you don't make it as flexible as AGS or other general-purpose adventure engines but tailor fit it to this one game.

Long Live Akatosh
And All The Divines
john_doe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Blondebeard
MILegend.com

You mentioned on other thread you had done 25 backgrounds. I only see 7 on your page, could you show us the others please?

BTW, fantastic job I really like them!

The Legend of Monkey Island
http://www.milegend.com/
Blondebeard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #12
iceman12
Lurker

great work

I love the enviroments you've made for this and think it's a great a great idea. In fact I love it so much I joined this forum just to post on this topic. I am a recent animation graduate and would very much like to help on this project. You can find my portfolio at www.trent3d.com, please let me know if I can assist.
iceman12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2007, 04:53 AM   #13
paprik123456
Rookie

Current Game: Indiana jones
remake

Hi guys,.... I have got a few offers to help me with that project and its great, thank you. Backgrounds which you can see on my webside are 1-2 years old so, I am fixing their problems now. Anyway, I take any help with backgrounds, characters,items etc. If you are skillful 3D or 2D artist, let me know, but you must be very skillful, we dont want to make a crap...right? What I am looking for right now is painter, somebody, who will make our 3D backgrounds looking like MI 3 or Runaway. Somebody who will repaint it. Its not easy job, but we wants to use 2D characters, not 3D...and keep old style.... so guys, lets make a demo.

2D/3D Artist and Animator
Patrik Spacek
paprik123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
Threepwood42
Rookie

Current Game: Spider-Man: SD
are you going to have people do voices for the characters for this remake? I could round up a whole cast and I could do Guybrush's voice if you wanted to have voices. you can hear me in the Changes at School movie on this website www.movies.lionhead.com/studio/snakeeater42 if you don't dont want to have voices. ok thats cool I CANT WAIT FOR THIS.
Threepwood42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
plamdi.com
Rookie

Personally, I'd suggest combining Monkey1 and 2 into a single game. That's what Gilbert would have done, if he could. I'd also suggest making the game more difficuilt by adding to the puzzles to make them more complicated; or by introducing new puzzles. Using this method it would also be possible to lengthen the other parts of the game; seeing as how Part 1 takes up more then half the game as it is. Good work on the backgroungs, though... I do see a problem with this one:

http://www.3dspacek.webz.cz/img/3dgallery/Monkey4-l.jpg

however if you're thinking about having them painted I don't forsee it as being a problem once it's been painted. You might want to use the digital paintings for MI1 and real paintings for MI2 as this is exactly what LEC did! I think you should aim more for the look of M1 and M2 then CMI; CMI used different background artists (mainly Tiller) who didn't work on the first two; and thus was a very different style.

Heh, I'm already thinking of the details... like make sure doors are painted open if they can be opened... I'm sure you don't need me to say any more.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
UrsinhoFeliz
Lurker

Man! Iīve just signed to this forum, only to answer to this post. MI1 is my favorite game ever, and I'd love to help, any way I can. I don't know if you'll need a programmer, but I'm experienced in graphics programming. Even if I cannot help, I'm excited to see what you are achieving.

I'm glad to know that you're planning to use 2D characters. MI4 was a little bit disappointing to me just because the 3D characters.

Can't expect to see a demo!

And congratulatios for your great artwork!
UrsinhoFeliz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 AM   #17
seann33uk
Lurker

Yes the idea of SMI and MILR in a 'monkey-mix' sounds brilliant, esspecially 3D, slightly enhanced graphics, although you couldn't add to the puzzles of make the harder, it would ruin it, Unless you do a 'MI puzzle fantasia' and a 'over the monkey business mayhem' version or something and the characters you should do in 3D but dress it down to 2d looking, like simpsons movie will be.
Also i make games, sort of, I use clickteam(.com)'s MultiMediaFusion which does the basic game modeling layout, but doesn't require code, so i can't code in other words.
seann33uk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
Xepeto
Lurker

I am Spanish and I post this project on my web,i donīt know program but, if this project finish (Good luck! ); I could traduce all the dialogs on my language.
Congratulations!
http://www.monkeyhispano.es.vg
Xepeto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
madghetto
Lurker

Thumbs up I could help.

I could probably help out for some 3d modeling. I use a free program called Anim8or and I've gotten good compared to when I started. I know exactly how to model to shapes from box modeling from a simple cube to extruding it and shapping it by cutting new vertices. I am still poor at making heads and skinning mesh correctly to a bone. But for simple objects or background you bet I'll help! I have a old site www.freewebs.com/bacstab but it lacks proper layout and enough content. My new site will be www.freewebs.com/gamehobbyist. My new site will have some examples of my 3d work. And for email : madghetto12@hotmail .com and I also use IRC chat (irc.afternet.org #gamedev) and (irc.bigbluecup.com #ags)
Great work so far, making the fangame for MI that I've been making has been real hard. It's cool that you want to dedicate yourself to remaking a entire game th
ats already made.

Last edited by madghetto; 06-23-2007 at 05:11 PM.
madghetto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #20
uomoartificiale
Lurker

look at my 3d adventure engine!

..so actually is not my engine. It's a "mod" for the RealityFactory engine (based on the old-but-still-interesting Genesis3d). I called it s.c.u.R.F. (script creation Utility for Reality Factory), the idea was to write somenthing that could be moved with simple scripts. Actually you only have to fill the world with entities with an editor and place numbers and strings in the scripts (mainly arrays identifying the entity index). It should have been a complete creation system but my time for developping is quite limited right now, so I'm switching my projects again toward the creation of a game in a team. I can't develop, create demos, write docuentation: too work for a person only. Instead I can use my system as main programmer with other artists.

The engine is intended to create 3rd person 3d adventure games but I'm thinking a workaround to have 2.5D (still not ready).

The website is here:
scurfproject.co.nr
You can download the English demos showing the capabilities of the engine.
scuRF Demo2 (English)

The demo mainly shows the conversation system, featuring:

- multiphrase
- multiple animation for each phrase
- attribute or trigger dependant conversation logic (add/remove reply option depending by triggers or inventory attributes)
- multiple camera setup, including fixed or moving camera, targetting the player or the NPC
- Characters can carry objects
- improved cinematic system, used also for in-game sequences
- Translation system: easily translate your game interface and objects name. This data are separated from the core system.
- complex interactions (try to use the pipe on the trash... Wink )
- conversation audio implemented
- working save/load

Walthrough:Pick the pipe. Use the pipe with the trash. Pick the newspaper. Talk with the woman. Select: option 2, option 2, option 2, option 1 and then "ho questo giornale". Notice that this reply option will be displayed only if you pick up the newspaper.

some videos are on youtube:
Video:

Early Stages:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbGkHkpPGs

Basic Action + Book Reader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APe6XK37EfU

Complex Action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfLeVUzuyaw

Cinematic + ChangeLevel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BFV-PbJT4

Head Turning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP24Dqa_J8U

early stages for conversation system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4I5Nam6xw
uomoartificiale is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #21
seann33uk
Lurker

there is actually a program called LASSIE which is a very well designed flash/shockwave-game making program based on scumm system used for MI3
lassie program site I have not actually made any games with it yet but i have played some games and its got a good MI feel to the way it works.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #22
Elvis_Yeah
Lurker

First time posting!!
What a cool idea!
I would certainly buy it!
I would like to help you but my skills in designing and scripting are really bad...
I could be a tester though...
And I'm French so could traduce the game in French!!
Elvis_Yeah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #23
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

It's great to see such enthusiasm! I'll happily give whatever I can, whenever I can. Please don't make these mistakes: Making the graphics 1600x1200 or whatever. 800x600 is more than enough (CMI was only 640x480 and I think that was fine). Don't bother making it 3D. 2D is difficult enough and good enough. I think making a demo is very good idea, because it will be easier to finish than the whole game and it will generate more enthusiasm (provided it went well!).

Great stuff!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #24
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Wait, what? How is producing the graphics with a high resolution a bad thing? It's not like they can't be scaled down for people with smaller resolutions like 800x600.

I don't know if you use an LCD monitor, but if you do you ought to be aware of the fact that anything other than the monitor's native resolution invariably looks like absolute crap, and this goes for any any all of LucasArts' older adventure games. It's no different to getting a picture like this:

And then doing this:

Because the LCD just stretches it up like you would in Photoshop. It has no ability to rearrange the pixel dot pitch like a CRT does (which gives you that squarey effect on lower resolutions).

The definition of an LCD is a blessing and a curse.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
Lagomorph01
Rookie

I'm no 3D artist but I do consider myself quite the voice artist. If I can contribute to your project in this way I would love to do so. I'm from the Netherlands but I can do accentless english, and a lot of accents. PM me if you need some samples.

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 AM   #26
plamdi.com
Rookie

RE: Thrik - LCD is much better for television - of course, you still have up-scaling of NTSC to PAL's resolution (well, you and I do - or would if we owned LCD TV's - the yanks have PAL downscaled to NTSC on their LCD's!); but for HD sets it's certainly good because HD 24p, 25p and 30p is all 1080 lines (although not all sets support all three in progressive modes, most 1080p sets are only 24p, and 25i and 30i). It's true that you should always use your monitor's resolution when using an LCD for a computer monitor; this in itself isn't all that bad, games are about the only thing that would cause you problems anyway. The one thing that I do get annoyed about CRT's is that 17" really means almost 16", and so forth; and of course, widescreen monitors of the same diagonal size have less picture size then 4:3 monitors (4:3 is better anyway for everything except movies).

Anyway, I don't think paprik is committed to doing a full remake - only a demo (he wants to work with LEC on an official MI5; which of course is very unrealistic), I'm going to try to talk him into it though; even if it means I have to take on some work I don't really want to do (lol); but really it is about time someone did a MI remake. If you read the thread carefully, you'll see he's using scanned painted art based on his 3D rendering; so it will look good. I think he should aim for 1024x768; but then again, it doesn't *need* to be that high.

Several years ago on the old SCRAMM forums, Bill Tiller showed up wanting to make a short adventure game; etc... and he's finally reached that goal now. He had to walk away from LucasArts though to form his own company to do it; it's not like LEC wants to do that kind of thing anymore. With the right team, an original adventure game could be successfully made; and the rights could be sold to a number of publishers to get the game in stores. The fans of adventure games really need to realize that the genre needs to be reinvented in many ways, rather then just plagiarizing ideas from the old ways of doing things. You can still make highly successful black & white mainstream movies today - shooting on 16MM stock; but you can't do it the way it was done in the 1940's that wouldn't work anymore.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #27
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Yeah I know of the benefits, but the difference between monitors and televisions is that televisions almost always come with a good-quality upscaling chip that does a good job of making smaller images look okay on higher resolutions, while conversely monitors almost never do. Heck, quite a few people buy dedicated upscaling boxes to go next to their DVD player that run all sorts of resizing algorithms on the image.

They don't always look completely awful if it's upscaled by the same ratio, but you still generally get artefacts of the upscaling and moderately illegible text as a result. This is why not allowing people to run games in the player's native resolution is a really bad thing these days, even though it might be excusable for a fan project.

I totally disagree about widescreen monitors, though. I use a 22-inch widescreen at work and it's great for having a lot of stuff open at once, while at hope I use a 24-inch one that's similarly great for playing games (which thanks to consoles running on televisions generally have widescreen resolutions nowadays). Especially real-time strategy!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #28
john_doe

The problem is, you can't possibly create 2D images and sprites for every possible native resolution some LCD-monitor could have.
(In 3D that problem would vanish more or less.)

Long Live Akatosh
And All The Divines
john_doe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #29
seann33uk
Lurker

I don't know. you lot are talking about LCDs and Tvs when the forum is about a remake for mi1 LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #30
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

You could reduce the lack of definition people on higher resolutions would see by using high-resolution assets in the game, and then have the game scale everything down and run in a lower resolution if needs to. This would mean people on smaller resolutions would be essentially wasting processing power on such high-resolution 2D art, but with higher resolutions and LCD screens becoming so predominant these days is it really the worse of the two options?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #31
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
You could reduce the lack of definition people on higher resolutions would see by using high-resolution assets in the game, and then have the game scale everything down and run in a lower resolution if needs to. This would mean people on smaller resolutions would be essentially wasting processing power on such high-resolution 2D art, but with higher resolutions and LCD screens becoming so predominant these days is it really the worse of the two options?
It takes a hell of a lot longer to create artwork at 1600x1200 resolution than it does to create it for 640x480... when quite frankly, it isn't going to add anything to the *game*. It's probably worth mentioning that Curse of Money Island ran at 640x480 and that it is higher res than DVD (which is good enough, if you ask me).

The slight distortion you're experience on your 22" Widescreen LCD is not worth making the project so unwieldy that it never reaches fruition!

There's a real danger with this sort of thing of a) Biting off more than you can reasonably chew and b) Losing track of what's actually important.

I've been part of many amateur projects that have fallen to pieces because the person in charge didn't know when to say "that's good enough". Instead they get caught up in trying to beat the best thing they've ever seen, visually, instead of using the project's strengths (eg. MI's atmosphere and comedy) and focusing on them.

I've also been part of amateur projects which were successful. This was because they kept sight of what was feasible with no money and what made sure they didn't waste their limited resources dong things that actually weren't important to people's enjoyment of the project.

If paprik and his team can cobble together a version of MI, even if it's a demo, that looks as good as CMI (which ran beautifully at 640x480), then they will have done *brilliantly* well.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

CMI looks shagged on even the smallest resolution an LCD monitor generally comes with (1280x1024 @ 17 inches). The fact it has to be upscaled makes it, and Grim Fandango, extremely offensive on the eyes.

Perhaps if filters were used to improve the image for higher resolutions like those you see in ScummVM it'd be less jarring. This goes some way towards making the original Monkey Island trilogy playable.

Make no mistake though, people with 19-inch+ monitors are no rarity these days. The days of the CRT are numbered, and I very rarely encounter them these days.

Creating higher resolution artwork shouldn't be as difficult as you make it sound. If you're doing CMI-esque art, there's nothing stopping you from digitally painting the initial backgrounds a bunch of zoom levels out and then using larger brushes, and in fact this is good, common practice so the artist has maximum flexibility when it comes to using/distributing the assets afterwards. Kind of like how a band wouldn't record the music for their album with a **** tape recorder.

I'd be surprised if the CMI artwork itself wasn't created at a much higher resolution than we see in a game. It was almost certainly simply scaled down to fit, and of course cropped, etc.

I really don't understand your adversity to higher resolution graphics, Thunderpeel, and wonder if you actually know what you're talking about. Producing at a higher resolution isn't really very difficult and has been standard fare for years; the only reason older games like CMI aren't in a higher resolution is because of the monitor and storage capabilities of the day. If it were released now it'd go up to just a little beyond whatever maximum people are likely to use these days (1920x1200) and then downscale/crop for those below.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #33
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

And incidentally, if not improving the technical level of the game then what exactly is the point of a Monkey Island 1 remake? After all, by most accounts it's pretty much a symbol of perfection with regards to atmosphere and story, etc. Why go to all the effort of making it a more modern piece of game design if you're not going to actually accommodate modern hardware properly?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #34
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
And incidentally, if not improving the technical level of the game then what exactly is the point of a Monkey Island 1 remake? After all, by most accounts it's pretty much a symbol of perfection with regards to atmosphere and story, etc. Why go to all the effort of making it a more modern piece of game design if you're not going to actually accommodate modern hardware properly?
An excellent point.

And I have to reply to the person who said CMI runs at a higher resolution than DVDs: that's not true. DVDs are like 720x576 or something, and even this has become 'too small' with the next-gen DVD format wars between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - two things I know quite little about, but I assume will be commonplace in a matter of years.

Thrik's absolutely right - this isn't a fan project in the traditional sense; there's no original content. Look at the Maniac Mansion Deluxe fan project - the game itself is indistinguishable from the original in every regard, they've just updated the graphics and the GUI. This I presume is why they didn't get shut down by Lucas Legal. That said, they obviously value the Monkey Island property a lot more than any of their other adventure properties.

Personally, apart from the time factor, I can't imagine the project being that difficult just because you're essentially not designing the game yourselves. It's all there in front of you. Rip all the backgrounds with ScummRev then you'll have a folder full of artwork for you to re-imagine in photoshop at a higher resolution. You've got a finite number of characters. And whoever's doing the actual coding doesn't need to wait for the actual images/sprites/3D models, because they can just be slotted in as-and-when.

I know I'm simplifying it somewhat.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #35
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Make no mistake though, people with 19-inch+ monitors are no rarity these days. The days of the CRT are numbered, and I very rarely encounter them these days.
Rather than just ramble on, why not use the data to back yourself up.

Resolution usage stats:
1. 1024 x 768 (56.15%)
2. 1280 x 1024 (15.79%)
3. 800 x 600 (12.04%)
4. 1280 x 800 (4.09%)
5. 1152 x 864 (3.90%)

I'm sorry but your post is still ignorant and seems to ignore my original point: It takes a lot longer to create artwork for 1920x1200 resolution (as you suggest) than it does for 640x480, which is slightly lower resolution than DVD (sorry, you were right, el tee). If they want to do it, fine, but it will take longer. More effort with less overall ouput (unless you feel like posting your own attempts at drawing a Monkey 1 background at the res you suggest to show how 'easy' it is?).

You also seem to suggest that updating the graphics wouldn't be worth doing unless they were superior to CMI's.... as if the difference between Monkey Island 1 and CMI isn't big enough to warrant it!!

I'm sorry, but I can see a ****ing huge difference...

'Offensive to the eyes', my butt! CMI still looks wonderful.

I fail to see what mega-important, story and atmosphere-enhancing details we're all missing out on in CMI's wonderfully drawn backgrounds...?

I'd just like to see paprik and co spend time on things more profitable than creating background details that less than 1% of the population will ever see. Plus, I know how easy it is to burn yourself out on a project like this. CMI created wonderful artwork at 640x480... unless the results are jaw dropping, they don't really need to go much higher than this.

Last edited by ThunderPeel2001; 07-05-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #36
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Sorry, did you even read what I said?

It's not the detail or quality of CMI's artwork I'm questioning. It's the fact that the definition will degrade significantly if scaled up from 640x480, which basically includes 100% of those using LCD monitors. The statistics you posted do absolutely nothing to back up your point as LCDs come in 1024x768 too, and 640x480 still looks quite poor when scaled up to that resolution.

Do you use an LCD screen? Because if you do, I really can't see how you can be arguing with me about this. LCDs don't look very good when not in their native resolution -- simple as that. They don't resize the images in the same way CRTs do. They have to process it and try to make 307,200 pixels (640x480) fit into 786,432 pixels (1024x768), which invariably results in the image quality being comprised. This is different to CRT monitors which simply make the pixels physically bigger (meaning it's easier to see each individual one on lower resolutions).

And, again, your comment about it taking longer to create the art is absolute nonsense as I said before. Do you think it takes so much longer because they have to paint over twice/thrice/etc the area or something? If you do, let me correct you now: it doesn't. You zoom out in Photoshop or whatever you're using and use bigger brushes. Job done. And if we're talking about 3D renders, it's a five-second option change (and maybe a bit longer to render, which is completely automatic).

If you sincerely believe that only 1% of the population uses an LCD monitor then I'd probably be inclined to suggest you take your head out of your ass and see beyond yourself. But I assume you weren't saying that.

I'm beginning to wonder if you understand the concept of resolutions at all based on your "wouldn't be worth doing unless they were superior to CMI's" comment. As what I've said above explains, the same piece of artwork in CMI would look a lot sharper and like Bill Tiller intended if it were big enough to look clear on 1600x1200 instead of just 640x480. Or if this analogy helps you, if it were poster-sized instead of postcard-sized. It wouldn't take him any longer to paint.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 AM   #37
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I DO use an LCD screen, you complete muppet!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #38
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

I'll take that enlightening comment as an acknowledgement of my points about how easy it is to support higher resolutions and create higher resolution art assets, and that it doesn't take significantly longer. Thanks for totally ignoring all that and just picking out the one thing you could actually argue with, coupled with an insult. Good show! ;-*

As I said, LCDs don't look good when the resolution isn't native. The fact that you use one doesn't change this assertion, and only demonstrates that you either have poor eyesight or are simply too used to looking at low upscaled resolutions (kind of like how someone who's only ever used VCR tapes might not know better). It looks worse and worse the higher up the resolution chain you go.

Since I've pretty much established my original point which is that supporting high resolutions shouldn't be difficult and that a modern remake of Monkey Island 1 probably should be made to support modern technology properly, I think it's best we drop the spin-off arguments now.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #39
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Err, I think you cannot simply redo a game in hi-res and claim it to be better looking than the original.

For instance, Maniac Mansion Deluxe basically just updated to 256 colours and thus the gave impression of more detail, nothing else. Additionally you can chose 640x400 resolution what does nothing more than to double the pixels. I did not really change the look of the game or added anything. Monkey Island 1 is already 256 colours. And double pixels can be done with ScummVM. So the MM fan game is not anywhere near where this project is aiming at.

It's also different with CMI, because up-scaling those non pixel-ish graphics, which already have a relative good resolution and amount of colours is much easier. Even Monkey Island 2 and its hand drawn scanned backgrounds it would be easier to scale, but the MI1 graphics have been created natively for a 320x240 resolution, combined with the restriction that these have to be displayable with only 32 (or 16) colours.

I mean those hi-res backgrounds are all good and stuff, but seriously, regardless if 640x480, or 1900x1200, whatever, I consider it pretty much impossible to "enhance" Monkey Island 1 in any way through high resolution graphics. Also, I am not sure if those more or less realistic looking backgrounds would live up to the Monkey Island universe. It does look good, but just not right. Even more, what kind and style of character design is to be chosen with those? I have a hard time coming up with something good, except the idea of totally imitating the drawing style from the original box, but those again would not fit into the 3D scenes we've seen from paprik.

Seriously, before we all get wrapped up in decisions about final resolutions, I'd really like to know how is this scene is going to look like in the remake:

Fact is, a lot of the Monkey Island 1 feel is due to its unique look (despite the "bad" resolution). Maybe if the original MI1 look or any really similar would be simply redrawn in higher resolution, that is something I can imagine would go with the game. But still, the details, like the character's faces, clothes and the like, is something that has to be drawn very thoughtful to keep the game's spirit.

Another idea I have is using vector graphics a la Flashback and Another World to recreate the graphics (but way more enhanced), that would make the game resolution independent too.

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #40
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

On that note, it might be worth pointing out that all of Monkey Island 2's backgrounds were original paintings that're completely smooth; they only became pixellated when the scaled down to the low resolution in the game (320x240) and then upscaled again by the monitor.

If the resources were put there by LucasArts we could realistically have a version of MI2 where the backgrounds are on a similar level of quality to CMI's, simply by allowing the game to natively run in a higher resolution and using larger resolution art assets by scanning the originals in at a larger size.

You can kind of see an example in the Monkey Island forum header (the Voodoo side), although that was resized; the real thing is bigger and just as smooth. That's what I was saying about having higher-resolution art assets in the game, which are usually drawn far bigger than necessary by artists anyway.

That said, I agree with what Ray said. Is this really a worthwhile endeavour considering it's the whole package of MI1 as a whole that makes it so nostalgic to people? I don't think so, personally. While I'd love to see something like CMI with the original background art in high resolution rather than the scaled-down 640x480 backgrounds and cleaned-up character sprites (smoother edges, for example), I wouldn't want it to go any further. Same goes for the original two.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Monkey Island 1 remake - come on