lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Doctor Who!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #241
daltysmilth
Rookie

I've never noticed any problems with how the music is mixed.

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #242
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
The worst one is The Idiot's Lantern in Series... 2? Anyway, there's a bit near the end where the music gets so loud you literally cannot understand the people talking on screen.

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #243
s-island
Music man

The International House of Mojo Staff 
"Who are you? Why did you go to prison?" - Why bother Doctor. I don't give a ****.

That's the problem with the story arcs in new Doctor Who. They put something out there, make it mysterious for no reason at all, and expect me to give a ****. People go around saying stuff like "he will knock four times", "the silence will fall" (those silencers must really be into puns) and other crap that's completely unnatural. Then they stretch the mystery out, hype up the importance of the revelation and of course they can't deliver. River being the daughter of Amy? So what? It makes no difference. It's all pulling rabbits out of hats that's pulling rabbits out of hats in an endless, recursive cycle (Chris "let's turn mathematical concepts into plots" Bidmead would approve of that reference).

The only reason I'm watching this anymore is because it got the good stand-alone from time to time. The story-arcs can just **** off.

Actually, I'm not sure if I would call them story-arcs. They're more like catch phrases. A gimmick taken from the world of sitcoms substituting for mystery and plot development.
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #244
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by s-island View Post
"Who are you? Why did you go to prison?" - Why bother Doctor. I don't give a ****.

That's the problem with the story arcs in new Doctor Who. They put something out there, make it mysterious for no reason at all, and expect me to give a ****. People go around saying stuff like "he will knock four times", "the silence will fall" (those silencers must really be into puns) and other crap that's completely unnatural. Then they stretch the mystery out, hype up the importance of the revelation and of course they can't deliver. River being the daughter of Amy? So what? It makes no difference. It's all pulling rabbits out of hats that's pulling rabbits out of hats in an endless, recursive cycle (Chris "let's turn mathematical concepts into plots" Bidmead would approve of that reference).

The only reason I'm watching this anymore is because it got the good stand-alone from time to time. The story-arcs can just **** off.

Actually, I'm not sure if I would call them story-arcs. They're more like catch phrases. A gimmick taken from the world of sitcoms substituting for mystery and plot development.
Pretty much nailed it on the head. It's been a problem all the way from Bad Wolf (which turned out to be about... two minutes of Billie Piper glowing and magicking problems away with fairy dust from the Heart of the TARDIS [each sold separately]).

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #245
Gabez

I know what you mean, and you critique the show very well, but perhaps you're just not the right audience. I mean, the shaggy-dog-tale nature is part of its charm for me. I think the acting, ideas, plotting, and production are all very high quality. But it depends on what you like. It is a bit spectacle over substance. But it does have some substance, and the spectacle is enjoyable as well. It's a show that attempts to appeal to a mass audience, and succeeds, but it also has interesting ideas about identity and time travel and throwing Hitler into a cupboard. It's a modern day melodrama; and for me, it's enjoyable, interesting, and sometimes exhilarating.

Last edited by Gabez; 08-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #246
daltysmilth
Rookie

Yeah, Doctor Who's stories have always been serial in nature. I guess the main difference is that in the classic series they'd do four episodes for a particular storyline and then move on, whereas now it develops stories over the course of a season (or multiple seasons as the case may be). The good thing is that unlike most dramas nowadays, there are still plenty of standalone episodes that you can watch without having to have seen any previous episode.

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #247
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Let's Kill Hitler was abysmal on first viewing, but became quite good on second. Overall, this last two-parter was Steven Moffat's weakest, but I still think that was a very good episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-island View Post
River being the daughter of Amy? So what? It makes no difference. It's all pulling rabbits out of hats that's pulling rabbits out of hats in an endless, recursive cycle (Chris "let's turn mathematical concepts into plots" Bidmead would approve of that reference).
Well, "Who is River Song?" was never particularly interesting. "What is River Song?" was always more involving, and we're only beginning to see that.

Quote:
I know what you mean, but I think I'm seeing this from a different point of view than you are. My main problem is that it's so into the idea of throwing questions and not willing to give out answers in any way that pays off. It's too busy being flash, and not busy enough telling a story.

Or, at least that's how that last two-parter struck me.

In general, it's fine with suggesting big questions and then not answering them - not yet, anyway. The "crack in time" arc from series 5 was fun. Here...there's a lot of juggling going on, and I'm having trouble seeing it all pay-off in a particularly meaningful way.

I'm liking the set-up, but I'm being blue-balled for answers.

I'm going to have to see the end of series 6 to make-up my mind. So far, I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoy any prime Doctor Who, but I do agree that the show needs to restrain itself a little bit and give more time to actual storytelling, less time to grand entrances.

We'll see. There's still a lot of potential here.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #248
Gabez

I'm not one to complain, but part of me wants Doctor Who to be more like the 3D Easter trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDHjbKQ6H1s

I think the story arc felt a bit restricting this season, though hopefully the effects of the season finale can be properly followed up, and The Doctor can be more of a mysterious, smaller figure in big events he has no control over (like that trailer illustrated).
Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #249
Kroms
Moose fell on my head

Very strong series. Some problems aside ("Let's Kill Hitler"), it was very enjoyable! Matt Smith is dazzling.
Kroms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #250
Gabez

It was a strong season, yes. I think it will work better on re-watching it in later years, which I think previous seasons haven't been so good at. Especially when later revelations make you want to watch back and go "oh yeah, that was set up way back in this episode" or whatever. The library two parter is a good example of that.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > Doctor Who!