lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: image posting question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Du Man

image posting question

what's the general lucas arts forums policy regarding image posting? Can you direct link a picture using the "[IMG]", or must you put it in a thumbnail or just the address of the image? Is it okay to start threads that consist entirely of direct link images?

I have an idea for a thread, but I don't want to start it if it's just going to get takin down because you can't direct link images.
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
I don't know the official policies either, but direct linking is not a good idea unless the pic is on your own site, or you've uploaded it on Photobucket or something.

I usually make a link to the picture (which I almost always upload to Photobucket first), so that people with slow connections don't have to see them if they don't want to.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
There's just a common sense policy, really. As long as the picture isn't absolutely gigantic it isn't really an issue.

And of course, host them somewhere you have control of ideally. While nobody's going to slap you for hotlinking to someone else's server, if they get all mad with you for doing so and replace the picture with something disgusting it'll be you who ends up seen at fault.

These kind of apply to pretty much any forum really.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Grifter_Grifts
Rookie

The rule on my website is to use URLs only. Imageshack's 1st URL link for forums seems to be the best. A full page image,with no links to click that doesn't hog your bandwidth.

PS for posting videos, use Tinypic. You get 100Mb filesize limits, for free, without signing up! I have posted lots of vids, and they are still up a year later. The only thing I dislike about Tinypic is that they changed their player. It used to have a nice, mature looking brushed steel look, but now it's really childish and multicolored. Maybe most of their users are 11 year old girls...
Grifter_Grifts is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > The Calavera Café > image posting question