lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: BIOSHOCK!!!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-28-2007, 12:24 AM   #41
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Shock and Tele. Should we make a separate Bioshock help thread?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 AM   #42
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
You can switch them back later on.
spoiler:
I know. I just prefer having that specific power when hacking security cameras and turrets. Though, incinerate is helpful against Big Daddies.

@ Boba Rhett

spoiler:
Depends how you want to defeat them. If you don't mind dying than transfer back to those "checkpoints" (name escapes me atm), just do as much damage as you can.

The shotgun and Incinerate are helpful. As well as using Telekinesis to throw objects at the Big Daddies. The anti-armour ammo is efficient as well.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2007, 02:05 AM   #43
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Rhett:
spoiler:
with the first Big Daddy i faced, i used a combo of zapping him with an electro, got a little bit of distance from him and opened up with my Thompson. then, he'd charge me, and i'd sidestep him and repeat the process till he died. you'd be surprised at how effective that method is if you can time most everything right. you'll probably take a couple of hits, but i still managed to get through that fight almost unscathed.
hope that helps, man.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 AM   #44
Rogue15 Fan
Banned

This game is so awsome, i own it on 360 and have passed it, great game!
Rogue15 Fan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #45
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Anyone know how to take screen shots?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #46
Rogue15 Fan
Banned

Lol i know you press the print screen key then paste in Paint for screenshots but idk if it works same way on a game.
Rogue15 Fan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #47
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Some things I use for facing Big Daddies:
spoiler:
Armor piercing machine gun rounds, explosive shotgun shells, the freeze power, incinerate, grenade launcher with proximity, frag, and heatseekers, and if I run out of ammo, armor piercing pistol rounds.

When I fought my first big daddy, I hacked those two turrets in the Med Facility and they provided some distraction (and a little help). Electrobolt and incinerate gave me a couple of seconds too.

I still got smacked around like a little crack whore, but that's what those 9 health packs are for.

Anyone else beat the game yet? How about those "ohsnap" parts?
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #48
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
Anyone else beat the game yet? How about those "ohsnap" parts?
spoiler:
The whole "would you kindly" thing definitely caught me off guard. I only wish the plot pulled you in earlier, it felt like most of the game was just point and shoot stuff.

I'll have to try for the "good guy" ending this time though, for some reason I got Tennenbaum's whole "you suck" speech at the end even though I harvested maybe one Little Sister throughout the entire game.

---

Does this game take forever to load for anyone else? Every time it loads a new area it seems to take forever compared to other games.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #49
Corinthian
Banned

spoiler:
Of course you did. All it has to be is one Little Sister and you get the evil ending. You have to spare all of them. I mean, we're talking about killing a little girl. You horrible person.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #50
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
Does this game take forever to load for anyone else? Every time it loads a new area it seems to take forever compared to other games.
well, you have to admit that at least the maps are very large in size. predictably: large maps = long load times. my system isn't too bad (about 15-30 seconds), but i'm also running two WD Raptors in RAID 0.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #51
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
spoiler:
Of course you did. All it has to be is one Little Sister and you get the evil ending. You have to spare all of them. I mean, we're talking about killing a little girl. You horrible person.
spoiler:
Yeah I'm gonna have to do something about that then, I mean what's the point of playing if I can't kill small children with glowing eyes and murder on the mind?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=2605236

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #52
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

The water in this game is so amazing. I finally broke down and just used printscreen to get this:

Old 08-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #53
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Damn, this game is long. I've been playing it for maybe 20 hours, maybe 24... something along those lines. Trying to complete every achievement (360 edition), though, the only one I don't think I'll get is beating it in the hard difficulty. I don't know if I'll have the time too.

But, this game is AMAZING.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #54
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Ugh. You mean they spend so much time to make "realistic water", which would be better off making the story better? *vomits*

Quote:
spoiler:
spoiler:
Actually, one person has killed half the Little Sisters and save the other half, and gotten the Good Ending.

But the Little Sister is a splicer. A genetically modified person. A "monster", and therefore, not really human, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #55
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
Ugh. You mean they spend so much time to make "realistic water", which would be better off making the story better? *vomits*
Nothing strange about that, the game is a First Person Shooter, impressive visuals are often half the point of games in that genre, presenting a detailed world to explore. The story is usually just an excuse for guiding the player through the game and provide backdrop for the action and visuals. The story in Bioshock is better than what most games in the genre have, in my opinion.

Quote:
spoiler:

But the Little Sister is a splicer. A genetically modified person. A "monster", and therefore, not really human, no?
spoiler:
But so is the protagonist, to technically the Little Sisters are closer kin to the protagonist than an unmodified human child would be.

mt

Last edited by stoffe; 08-30-2007 at 11:00 PM.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #56
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

I've heard nothing but good about the story. From what I've gotten through myself it seems rather well laid out and deeply enjoyable. Are you listening to all the audiotapes?

Need Help? massage message me
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #57
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The story in Bioshock is better than what most games in the genre have, in my opinion.
Quote:
I've heard nothing but good about the story. From what I've gotten through myself it seems rather well laid out and deeply enjoyable. Are you listening to all the audiotapes?
I know the storyline is awesome. It's pretty good, with a ton of twists. I have problems with the endings, but the rest of the storyline is quite well.

No, I just have problems with good graphics and too much coding being done for it. The more time devoted to storyline and the less time devoted to graphics, the better. An example would be XIII...bad graphics, great storyline. It's just my view though, highly inaccurate since the story team and the graphics team are different, but, well, good graphics just act a symbol for all I hate about commercialized gaming.

Quote:
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #58
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

^^^^
what's wrong with good looking graphics??

seriously, there's no much more that really draws me more into a game than great graphics and audio design (in the FPS world, at least). seriously, games like "Chronicles of Riddick", Oblivion, and Bioshock do an excellent job of using graphics and audio to pull you into the game so much that you can almost see yourself as that character in your mind. there are other games out there that are just mindless action (which i also enjoy), but the genre as a whole benefits from excellent graphics and audio.

if you're going for innovation and unique gameplay over graphics, that's fine and dandy, but ugly graphics isn't going to help out when it comes to immersion. there has to be a balance, and i'm still convinced that Bioshock, as impressive as it is, could've looked even better especially with the DX10 effects (or lack thereof), but the devs instead decided to focus on giving us excellent gameplay, story, and several unique mechanics in addition. lets face it: the graphics in Bioshock isn't the only selling point of the game.

anyways, enough of my ranting. this isn't the best place to debate over this stuff anyways.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 AM   #59
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Ok, I've finally found out how to take screenshots!

Open up Bioshock.ini and find where the keys are defined. Pic an empty one and set it to the word, "Shot".

Example:

F10 = Shot

Tadaaaaaaaaa! Now everytime you push F10 a bitmap will be dumped into the same folder that contains the Bioshock.ini file.

Here's a list of the the commands found thus far:

God - Invincibility

Fly - Allows you to fly around

Walk - Disables fly mode

Ghost - Allows you to move through solid objects

Killpawns - Kills all enemy on the level

Slomo - Slows everything down

Shot - Takes a screenshot in BMP format and places it in the same folder as BioShock.ini

HideHUD - Disables the on-screen HUD elements

ShowHUD - Enables the on-screen HUD elements
Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 AM   #60
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The link in my previous post had two other console commands that might be able to be bound to a key too.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #61
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Bug?

Is this a known bug or is it just my computer that's acting weird? Every time I try to hack the first turret you come across in the Medical area the game freezes right when I click the "Start" button on the Hacking screen.

I've tried loading older saves from before entering the Medical area, and restarting the computer to no avail. Still crashes at exactly the same time.

mt
Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #62
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Have you tried turning off High Detail Shaders? It appears to be an issue for a lot of people. Disabling EAX stopped random crashes for some as well. Turning off the High Detail Shaders completely solved my random crashing problems.

I just made a 1680x1050 Bioshock wallpaper because I couldn't find a big enough one.

http://www.olivetinstitute.org/stuff/biowallsmall2.jpg

If anyone cares for it and would like an epically huge version, give me a haller.

Last edited by stoffe; 09-02-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #63
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Obi-Wan
Damn, this game is long. I've been playing it for maybe 20 hours, maybe 24... something along those lines. Trying to complete every achievement (360 edition), though, the only one I don't think I'll get is beating it in the hard difficulty. I don't know if I'll have the time too.

But, this game is AMAZING.
I discovered this by accident while abusing the camera but if you're up to Fort Frolic and are working on the main quest there:

spoiler:
Take a photo of Cohen's corpse and you get the best achievement ever conceived: Irony. I'm being serious... there is an achievement called "Irony". Such a thing makes the game amazing of its own accord

Tragically, there is no such recognition on the PC version (that I know of). I finally completed the game: it's fun and well done but I can't help but feel that the good ending, at least, was something of an anticlimax. Oh well...

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM   #64
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Finally, completed it. Wasn't as I hoped it turned out. But, a fantastic game nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
Take a photo of Cohen's corpse and you get the best achievement ever conceived: Irony. I'm being serious... there is an achievement called "Irony". Such a thing makes the game amazing of its own accord
spoiler:
Yes, I know. Pretty cool, I love how they created this game. Though, I killed him the minute I saw him. So, I wasn't able to get into his room in Olympus Heights or wherever he lived.

I didn't harvest one little sister through the whole game. But, I am going to play it again on hard so I can harvest all of them and complete any other achievements I missed.

spoiler:
How much ADAM do you get for harvesting them?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #65
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
spoiler:
How much ADAM do you get for harvesting them?
160 for harvesting and 80 for rescuing.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:42 PM   #66
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
After you rescue a couple little sisters you do get a bonus of 200 ADAM, plus other goodies.
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #67
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Rhett
Have you tried turning off High Detail Shaders? It appears to be an issue for a lot of people. Disabling EAX stopped random crashes for some as well. Turning off the High Detail Shaders completely solved my random crashing problems.
Thanks, though it seems like one of the game data files had gotten messed up somehow. After reinstalling the crash on the hacking screen seems to have gone away.

By the way, do anyone know how to prevent the game from nuking all your settings every time it crashes or doesn't shut down properly? It's pretty annoying having to re-configure everything every so often.

mt
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #68
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Not yet. It even does it to me when I don't crash out of the game. Hopefully they'll release what surely will prove to be an EPIC patch for it soon.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #69
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by T7nowhere
After you rescue a couple little sisters you do get a bonus of 200 ADAM, plus other goodies.
Yes. First time around, I didn't resurrect one Little Sister.

This second I have, much more effective. More plasmids earlier and all that. And playing it the "hard" difficulty isn't much harder than Normal.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #70
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsPhreak
Some things I use for facing Big Daddies:
spoiler:

When I fought my first big daddy, I hacked those two turrets in the Med Facility and they provided some distraction (and a little help). Electrobolt and incinerate gave me a couple of seconds too.
spoiler:

Is there any way to prevent those grenade tossing mutants from seemingly respawning indefinitely in that area of the Medical Pavilion? They blew up both my hacked turrets there before I even got to Steinman's surgery while I explored the side areas, so they are of no help to me now that I've run into the first Big Daddy I have to fight on my way back to the emergency exit with the key.

mt
Old 09-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #71
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

^^^^
spoiler:
you could always do as i do and ignore the turrets as best as i can and then hack them whenever you have to fight the big daddy. they are helpful in that situation, although they won't last long against said big daddy.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #72
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Do any of you kill the creepy little demonic children after killing their guardians, what are the advantages of doing so/or not doing so? (I haven't played it yet, hoping to soon as soon as i get a Dell XPS).
Gargoyle King is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #73
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
Do any of you kill the creepy little demonic children after killing their guardians, what are the advantages of doing so/or not doing so? (I haven't played it yet, hoping to soon as soon as i get a Dell XPS).
Well, the creepy little demonic childern ARE the "Little Sisters". The Guardians are the "Big Daddies".

Once you understand that, you could see that was the only thing we were talking about, the killing or the saving of the demonic kids!

Quote:
I finally completed the game: it's fun and well done but I can't help but feel that the good ending, at least, was something of an anticlimax. Oh well...
spoiler:
Try the Evil Ending. You can find it being...well, much more interesting than the Good Ending, IMHO.

Quote:
Full Article Here
Old 09-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #74
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Well, the creepy little demonic childern ARE the "Little Sisters". The Guardians are the "Big Daddies".

Once you understand that, you could see that was the only thing we were talking about, the killing or the saving of the demonic kids
Yeah i know i've seen trailers, gameplay vids etc. it's just i'm currently saving to upgrading my comp system so what i was asking was what do you get out of it if you kill the "Little Sisters", i heard you get some sort of energy from them of some sort?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #75
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
By the way, do anyone know how to prevent the game from nuking all your settings every time it crashes or doesn't shut down properly? It's pretty annoying having to re-configure everything every so often.
Do you shutdown the game properly after you change the setting then reload it and play the game.

Btw is the game just crashing to desktop or rebooting your pc. I'm thankfull to say that the game hasn't crash a single time on me.
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #76
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
Yeah i know i've seen trailers, gameplay vids etc. it's just i'm currently saving to upgrading my comp system so what i was asking was what do you get out of it if you kill the "Little Sisters", i heard you get some sort of energy from them of some sort?
You get "ADAM", in which you can use to upgrade your character throughout the game. And like jmac said earlier, you get 160 for harvesting them and 80 for rescuing them.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #77
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7nowhere
Do you shutdown the game properly after you change the setting then reload it and play the game.

Btw is the game just crashing to desktop or rebooting your pc. I'm thankfull to say that the game hasn't crash a single time on me.
I've quit and restarted the game a number of times after adjusting the settings. But when the game crashes or is force-quitted it seems like it rolls back the INI files to their default state and I have to reconfigure all the graphics settings, game settings and key bindings again.

I guess it might be some intentional safety feature in case the settings cause the game to fail for some reason, but it's rather annoying to have to set everything over and over.

So far the game has just been freezing a few times. It gets stuck and nothing happens, with the last frame stuck on the screen even if I ALT-TAB out of the game. Fortunately the screen gets released and back to normal if I (blindly) log out and back in again so I won't have to force-reboot the computer.

mt
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #78
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
You get "ADAM", in which you can use to upgrade your character throughout the game. And like jmac said earlier, you get 160 for harvesting them and 80 for rescuing them.
That's pretty cool, so are the upgrades for health, defense bonuses etc. or are they for weapons additions and items; or both?
Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 AM   #79
stoffe
Mostly dormant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle_King
That's pretty cool, so are the upgrades for health, defense bonuses etc. or are they for weapons additions and items; or both?
Read this

mt
Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #80
Gargoyle King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Thanks for the link Stoffe, the game is a lot more complex than i thought initially, paying homage to the likes of System Shock, Deus-EX and even legacy console RPGs. Add to the nice HD Art Deco Visuals i think this game has won me over. I should be getting my new Vista Dell XPS in about a month or two (hopefully ) and i won't have to worry about compatibility as it utilizes Direct-X 10 which to the best of my knowledge is exclusive to Vista, so in turn should work on Vista (i'll make sure i meet the hardware requirements obviously though).
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > BIOSHOCK!!!!