lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Pics
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-27-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Phantom Knight
BAANAAANAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Current Game: Mass Effect
Hot Topic Starter 
Pics

Although I have been a member of these Forums for some time, I still haven't figured out how to post pictures or images on my posts.

When I go to the advance options, and when I click on Insert Image, I have no idea what the text box wants me to do. I tried pasting the file name in and everything, but it doesn't work.

How do I insert images?
Phantom Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Knight
Although I have been a member of these Forums for some time, I still haven't figured out how to post pictures or images on my posts.

When I go to the advance options, and when I click on Insert Image, I have no idea what the text box wants me to do. I tried pasting the file name in and everything, but it doesn't work.
First you need to upload your image to some other site, the forums cannot host the picture for you. If you have no webspace of your own where you can host the images there are other free alternatives you can use. A couple of common free image hosting services are ImageShack and Photobucket.

When you have uploaded your image you will have an URL to the image, which you put inside [IMG]-tags on the forum to insert the image. For example, if your image gets hosted at the URL http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6...examplexn4.jpg you would type...

HTML Code:
[img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6540/imageexamplexn4.jpg[/img]
...to insert it like this:

If your image is very large you may want to use a thumbnail image that links to the full image when clicked instead to make it easier to browse the thread and make the page load quicker. You can do that by placing the thumbnail inside the [IMG]-tag, and then wrap a link tag around it that points to the image. Like...

HTML Code:
[URL=http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6540/imageexamplexn4.jpg][IMG]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6540/imageexamplexn4.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
...which results in something like this instead:

Both imageshack and photobucket automatically create thumbnails for you when you upload images, so you won't have to worry about that yourself.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
thank you very much!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Sometimes though the IMG tags don't work in certain forums and/or threads. It seems to be a glitch with the vBulletin app that LF uses and not purposely restricted by the LF admins, as far as I know, but I've had that happen to me before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
...which results in something like this instead:

Both imageshack and photobucket automatically create thumbnails for you when you upload images, so you won't have to worry about that yourself.
As always, great user support, stoffe but I really felt compelled to say that is a sweet JE:SE PC model you created there.
Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Imageshack usually gives 2 separate lines of code for pics for forums, and I've found that if one didn't work, the other one did. There's only one time I think where neither worked, but the thumbnail did, so it worked out OK.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
I apoligise for resurecting, but I have another problem in relation to this.

I'm trying to upload a drawing on ImageShack, but its not working for some reason. I even tried it on someone elses computer, but that didn't seem to work for me either.

Can anyone help me?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Knight
I'm trying to upload a drawing on ImageShack, but its not working for some reason. I even tried it on someone elses computer, but that didn't seem to work for me either.
Do you get any kind of error message or it just stops? Have you checked that your image is in one of the required file formats, and that it's smaller than 1.5 MB in size?

If everything should be OK but nothing seems to happen when you try to upload, try again later. I've noticed that imageshack has a tendency to be somewhat overloaded sometimes, making it time out during uploads.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Another image uploader I like is http://tinypic.com/, you could try that if imageshack won't work.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I've found Imageshack to be a real pain in the A, I use Photobucket now, and I've had no problems at all, plus its very easy to use

http://photobucket.com/

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
Phantom Knight

Hot Topic Starter 
Ah, gotcha little bugger... sorry, I'm just talking to myself. I was able to fix the problem, thanks to stoffe's advice. The image was simply to large to be uploaded, so I reduced its size.

Thanks for the help guys.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Starwarsknights.com > Feedback > Pics