lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Tech News and Gossip thread...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #721
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Google acquires AdMob for $750 million

I at your source. hehehe (j/k)
lolz. I was thinking that too, though I ensured other sources were noted. I really liked the Day 74 sales graph as reported by flurry analytics

Quote:
Just cross your fingers iPhone doesn't break the AT&T stonewall.
Should Apple float to Verizon.. there will be a Fanboi War that the world has never seen.
this seems to be edging towards a reality... the most recent scuttlebut being:

AT&T building out network capacity to prevent exodus to Verizon iPhone?

In other news, for those among us that are crazy/rich/both:

How about a new limited edition XGX 5970 4GB Black Edition... $1000USD. Still no guarantee for maxxed settings on crysis

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #722
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
In other news, for those among us that are crazy/rich/both:

How about a new limited edition XGX 5970 4GB Black Edition... $1000USD. Still no guarantee for maxxed settings on crysis
Quote:
The card features 1600*2 stream processors, core/memory clock of 850/1200MHz (4800MHz), 4GB of memory, and six mini-DisplayPort connectors for six displays. The card employs dual 8-pin power design, with the turbo fan centrally located to enhance the cooling performance for both GPUs.
dear gawdz...

well, although it's $1,000, you'd probably save some money since you wouldn't have a heating bill. Just turn on the comp. hehehe

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #723
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Fermi's benchmark results should come as no surprise. The 6-month delay indicated to me that it would be an underwhelming part once it was finally released. Sure, it beats the 5870, but it draws more power than the dual-GPU 5970 in order to do it. Impressive!

No, it's not quite a failure of GeForce FX proportions, but, especially at the typically outrageous asking price, Fermi is still a dud. ATI wins this round.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 03-31-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #724
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
ATI wins this round.
Arguably - they both have failed. When software devs are still outstripping the ability of mainstream desktop hardware(even at the enthusiast grade), it's indiciative that the way cards are designed need to be re-evaluated.

Are they just going to keep cramming stream processors, more hot'n'steamy GDDR5 and then demand users sport 1000W PSUs to run the damn things??

It reeks of inefficiency. I can tell them what they need to do next, all they have to do is ask

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-01-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #725
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
If you were only talking about Fermi I would have to agree, but the ATI cards are a different story. Their power usage is very good, even at full load, which is particularly impressive given that they are essentially twice the GPU of the previous generation.

EDIT: Just found this:

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 04-03-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #726
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
^^^^
lolz at the pic.

at any rate, its my opinion that Fermi is a dud. for cryin out loud, the card is pulling 400+W when running Furmark and almost 400W in just about everything else. what really gets under my skin with Fermi is that it doesn't offer up much in the way of a performance edge, and they want a $100 premium for it. if this was the old 8800GTX vs 2900XT, that $100 would be a no brainer, but not this time.

to be fair, i have to agree with Astro as well. the 5800 series isn't as impressive as it probably should have been, and its not exactly lean on the wattage, either. am i happy with my 5850?? absolutely. its just that i really feel that AMD could've put more into it than they did. sure, the strategy of simply building a competitive product that you can sell at a lower price point has worked well for them, but i just think that it should've been a bigger step up from the previous generation than it is.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #727
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolz - that must have taken some ATI fanboy a good 20mins of paint.exe skillz but provided a lifetime of glee That grilled meat actually is looking pretty lovely [/hungry]

The pic would be more accurate showing JHH destroying Al Gore and the environment, due to the excessive power draw required by Fermi.

As far as heat goes, any high end card sporting GDDR5 is not exactly going to be cool 'Tis the nature of the beast. Blame those fools at Qimonda/Infineon for making the Prescott of Graphics RAM. At the end of the day, NV/ATI will always be limited by what the foundries are churning out - and if that itself id based on a design that lends itself to high temps and increased power draw... well what do you expect??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-05-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #728
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
At least we have some competition in the graphics card business again though I'm not sure that prices are coming down all that much as of yet. Just did some spot checking at Newegg and other online retailers and and it looks like they've sold out of all their GTX 480's and 460's. Guess there was a lot of pent up demand out there.

So any thoughts on the recent infatuation with 3D display technology, especially when applied to gaming and home theater? I know I'm all for it as it's just one more step towards "holy grail" of holographic projection. I've been starting to think about getting a new TV to replace my old CRT one but I may wait to see how all this 3D tech develops over the next year.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #729
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I'd hold off on it charr. There are companies out there working hard to incorporate 3D into the TV directly, so you won't need those RIDICULOUS glasses, which if you ask your gramps - will tell you that he wore to watch the three stooges 3D movie in the 1950s.

One such company is alioscopy - I found out about them when I came across an article about my fave director(Mr David Lynch) raving about it..

Once that tech is perfected for the mass market, the eager fools who rushed out and bought the 1950s nostalgia kit coming on the market now are going to have some pretty expensive fashion accessories.

Fig.1. Seeing amusing images of JHH are popular atm - here is one relevant to 3D

Unfortunately, 3d projection is still a whiles away - simply because the way our current tech works is limited by cost and size. I see those large curved displays getting big over the next few years - imagine something like a car windscreen - and curved to fit just within peripheral vision. This will become more feasible once printable/flexible oled is ready for a larger format.

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-11-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #730
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
^I can't wait for the day that we all have to walk around with those cool glasses all the time...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #731
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

AMD fans may be excited to learn that AMD has just posted a profit of $257 million for the first quarter of 2010.

However, before you anyone gets too excited, please bear in mind that these figures are still affected by the $125 Billion payout Intel gave AMD late last year - so it's not all down to how awesome the newer phenoms or 5xxx series are. Before the payout, AMD hadnt posted a profit for three years.

In related news, despite Fermi being hotter than a stripper's thong. it's still selling well. One factor is the relatively limited number of these first gen cards. Reading around tech forums, there is also a pervading opinion that alot of folks are waiting for a subsequent revision of these GPUs by board partners such as EVGA, XFX etc that will be a bit more power/heat efficient.

In any event, AMD not falling in a heap is still good news for competition, and the 5xxx series has definitely given them a shot in the arm from a cash perspective.

Lets hope they can keep up the positive trend once the financial impact of the Intel payout has well and truly passed.

In other AMD news, expreview has posted a preview of the Phenom II 1055T Hexacore CPU, which has apparently already gone retail in parts of Asia - so if you are super keen, you can now easily get one from fleabay for about $350USD

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-16-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #732
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
holy nutsack, just think how much math i could do with six core!

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #733
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill View Post
holy nutsack, just think how much math i could do with six core!
lolz...If you were a proper Scientician, you could ask intel for one of their 48-core processors used in research supercomps

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #734
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
lolz...If you were a proper Scientician, you could ask intel for one of their 48-core processors used in research supercomps

mtfbwya
Yea, but it'd be hard to be an AMD fanboy if I was asking intel for stuff

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #735
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfanbill View Post
Yea, but it'd be hard to be an AMD fanboy if I was asking intel for stuff
Back when the Athlons reigned and cool n quiet was exactly just that, I was a proud AMD phanboy as far as CPUs go, but there has been seriously nothing to get excited about since then. K10 promised sooo much, and was a massive anticlimax in the end once we had seen the what the corei7 could do.

Most market commentators looking back on the goodness that was Athlon conclude that AMDs success had just as much to do with a bad decision by intel(cough*netburst*cough) than by any dazzling achievement of their own.

AMD had maintained their steady, but slow, evolution - whereas Intel took a massive step back with netburst. It really wasn't until they threw that out and brought put Core2Duo that they were able to pick up from where they left off.

Add to that some equally disturbing management decisions by Senor Ruiz. AMD survives for some very finite reasons:

*It makes money off GDDR5 fab
*Server market (totally underestimated by gamer fanboys how vital this is so that they can keep their CCC masochism alive) eg. 12 core "Magny-Cours"
*5xxx series decent performance vs nvidia price and huge delay on Fermi
*Intels payout

For competition's sake, I hope they stay around, but they have their work cut out for them on the desktop CPU side of things.

In other news - the unusual case of the month award goes to:

Lian Li's Spider Case (yes, only 4 legs, we know)

*Mini ITX
*Weird looking
*Available May if you want to use one on the set of your low budget sci-fi fanfilm

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #736
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Interesting stuff.... MS has just unveiled some vids of how Office will integrate into Windows Phone 7. Love that minimalistic interface, makes iphone/android look "so 2007"

View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

Earlier this week, the first WP7 device was revealed via an official leak from Dell :

The Dell Lightning

If this phone works like those vid renders promises, and they can follow it up with the courier device, MS are going to be kicking apple and google in the nuts in epic fashion.

competition is good for us consumers, so whether you are iFan or android owner/fanboy(like me), I hope MS delivers ...and prices become more competitive

I wonder how RIM/Blackberry are feeling after watching that office app demo

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #737
urluckyday

^Basically looks like the Zune Phone people were talking about...beautiful.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #738
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
^Basically looks like the Zune Phone people were talking about...beautiful.
Yep the interface on the Zune and the WP7 'Metro Interface' is built on Windows Embedded CE 6.0, and includes XNA(for games), Silverlight and the mobile version of the .net platform.

The UIs are both derivative of the MCPL interface you see in the media center application in windows 7.

As much as I like my android phone - I'm really looking forward to seeing how the WP7 interface works on an actual device

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-25-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #739
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Looks like folks outside of Asia are now starting to get their hands on the AMD hexacores.

Heres G3Ds Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T review

longstory short:
*decent bang for buck six cores for those into video transcodes and such
*performance on par with higher end intel quads

In other news:

Team Kermit aka Nvidia have announced Project Verde, where driver releases are now going to be synced between all platforms, which is welcome news to nvidia laptop owners who often got left behind.

In phone related news:

UK android fans are about to get the almighty Nexus One, though if you are a fan of the HTC sense interface, best wait until the HTC Desire hits the streets. Both feature the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and a mammoth screen at 800x480. Beauteous

Pic - HTC Desire, Legend and Google Nexus One. As you can see the Nexus one/Desire have a massive screen, and is just a bit bigger than than the iphone in total size. The HTC Legend is a unique phone, just 600MHz, but has a single piece aluminum body - definitely for those into sturdier phones - I was thinking of getting one until I saw the Desire in store today... WANT!

This is one of the coolest hands on vids I've seen about these phones. No nervous tech show guy/girl rabbiting on. lolz@ English dude who got confused about how to make a call...
View page
YouTube Video

In the US - the Verizon HTC Incredible is also turning heads.. it has a unique look and all the benefits of Android 2.1. Engadget did a great review HERE

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-29-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #740
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Some epic news in the mobile devices market today:

Hewlett Packard buys Palm for $1.2Billion

The potential for awesomeness is pretty high - Imagine the loveliness of palm's WebOS on some HP hardware. A web OS tablet would kick the pants off the iPad from a functionality POV....and because its HP, the whole printing element the iPad suffers from would not exist.....

many geeks are excited - prompting some photoshop phun of webOS on HP devices

Also, Drew Henry of Nvidia gave an interview to Digitimes - stating that nvidia will be looking to release a GPU with 512 Stream Processors.

Looks like they're quite aware that Fermi didn't live up to the delay/expectation/hype. Lets just hope those extra SPs don't make the damn things any hotter

Finally, ATI/AMD Card Owners can rejoice, CATALYST 10.4 was released today >> CLICKY

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-29-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #741
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

RE: new smartphones
This is good stuff. I'm starting to pay closer attention to smartphones now as I plan to get a new mobile phone in July-August timeframe. At this point I think it's probably going to boil down to the iPhone and an Android-powered phone.

RE: NVIDIA interview
A bit odd. Drew Henry is quoted as saying NVIDIA has
Quote:
a chance to launch a graphics chip with 512 cores in the future
I can only hope that it's a realistic chance. And maybe, just maybe, the part about
Quote:
TSMC's yields for its 40nm process has met our expectations and market rumors about the yields being lower than 20% are completely untrue. We currently have everything under control.
is true now. Since Fermi released so long after AMD's Radeon HD 5xxx cards though it's certainly hard to believe that Mr. Henry's statement would have been uttered 3-4 months ago.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #742
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

No self respecting tech head would get an iphone Char...android all the way!

*ducks projectile hurled by negsun*

I just got the HTC Desire... to feel the awesomeness of 1GHz Snapdragon in my hands... and that screen.......phaw! I thoroughly recommend UK sellers Clove.uk - who ship all over the place. I got the HTC Desire sim unlocked over $100AUD cheaper than the cheapest one on fleabay.

I came across a great new proggie for iphone and android users, called Missing Sync, the current beta can even sync your phone/android handset with selected pc folders wirelessly through wifi/bluetooth!

In other news, Asus have finally launched their EeeKeyboard, hearkening back to the days of the Amiga etc, where the pc was built into the computer. Pretty nifty

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #743
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
No self respecting tech head would get an iphone Char...android all the way!
Yeah, cuz my iPhone actually works...
I get bored not needing to 'troubleshoot' anything * hugz iPhone *

Old 05-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #744
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
* hugz iPhone *
Noooooooooooooo! Not you too man! This is techforum, not a discotheque!

Quote:
Yeah, cuz my iPhone actually works...
I get bored not needing to 'troubleshoot' anything
troubleshoot a phone OS? lolz. what did you use before your iphone chainz?

I've had 4 people ask me for a phone recommendation in the last 2 weeks:

*The 3 ladies wanted iphones because they "are cool and everyone has one"

ie. They really should be giving these out with iphones.
Show spoiler

*1 bloke decided on a HTC Android device because "it has a removable battery, quicker processor, expandable storage, and didnt have anything to do with freakin' itunes*

Speaking of Apple... it was quite amusing how Steve Jobs put up his Manifesto against flash on apple.com this week.

Apple and MS really want us to embrace HTML5 early, with H.264 as the embedded video codec of choice -- as opposed to the truly "open" theora standard.

Funnily enough, both MS and Apple make money whenever devs will need to use this codec in their apps, cheeky buggers

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-05-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #745
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Noooooooooooooo! Not you too man! This is techforum, not a discotheque!

Quote:
troubleshoot a phone OS? lolz. what did you use before your iphone chainz?
well.. not 'me' per se, but everyone and their freaking brother at work has asked me how to use their Crackberry and yes, Android phone. Definitely not an OS problem.. just a user "id-10t" problem.

Quote:
They really should be giving these out with iphones.
Show spoiler
I prefer green

Quote:
Speaking of Apple... it was quite amusing how Steve Jobs put up his Manifesto against flash on apple.com this week.
Monkey see, monkey do. Don't shoot, unless you intend to get shot at.

Quote:
Apple and MS really want us to embrace HTML5 early, with H.264 as the embedded video codec of choice -- as opposed to the truly "open" theora standard.
Yeah, mac fanboi as I am.. I'd rather wait on the HTML5 until it's at least 'finalized' Kinda like riding a bike without putting the front wheel on it first. Sure you can do it... but don't count on getting as far as you 'could'..

Quote:
Funnily enough, both MS and Apple make money whenever devs will need to use this codec in their apps, cheeky buggers
no different than Adobe / Flash

bleh.. but enough of the mac/pc/flash/android/iphone/blah blah pissing match. I love'em both/all and would die before giving up my mac or my Creative Suite hehehe

Old 05-08-2010, 05:50 AM   #746
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I saw this at another tech site recently, it seems that the original Terminator models prefer MS.

I think this vid was made as part of a competition, not sure if it won.

View page
YouTube Video

what an awesome team the MS Terminator and the Google Android would make

edit:

Speaking of epic combos with Android - What do you get when you mix an android phone and rubiks cube solver app and a lego mindstorms kit - chip manufacturers ARM showed us:

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-14-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #747
urluckyday

That Lego video is insane...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #748
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
That Lego video is insane...
Indeed.. android ftw. Though technically, it could have been executed on any ARM device. But only android has that geeky Linux allure of course.

It was just a matter of time, but reports by US market analysts are trickling out saying that android has just knocked off iphone from having the second highest market share for smartphones (in the US). RIMs Blackberry still have number one spot... like with all market data that doesn't reveal how they arrived at their results... take it with a grain of salt... but not a huge one. It's a shame that European/Asian market data isn't available because the story would be quite different - where android has a much more widespread market presence because of manufacturers like HTC, Samsung and Sony/Ericsson being based in Asia.

source = engadget

In browser news, Google is almost set to roll out Chrome Version 6. The Chrome Browser has come along in leaps and bounds, and now has an extensions gallery not unlike firefox - it will also have inbuilt flash support. I love the look of chrome, but am still attached to particular extensions of FF (eg. google redesigned, integrated gmail) - so get the chrome look in FF with the chromifox extreme extension/theme.

As far as portable browsers go, I've found that chromium portable is a bit more robust that FF Portable - especially if you're deploying on an older/slower rig at work/school/grandmas etc.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-10-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #749
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Some mega-epic-awesome news was reported by TechCrunch today, notifying that the upcoming Android 2.2 build Froyo(all Android builds are named after desserts) will have in-built USB tethering and the ability to make your phone a wifi hotspot.... no more third party apps or hackarounds required

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #750
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

This is interesting - looks like Galaxy are showing of some single slot GTX 470s. My being able to read Turkish yields no extra advantage I'm afraid - even though this was originally reported on Turkish site Donanim Haber, Bright Side of News have done a decent job at summarising the article without missing anything fabulous.

Id love to see a single slot GTX 480 with some more moderate temps \o/ and where the hell is that GTX 490 all us folders pine for

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #751
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Is it permissible to use Fudzilla as a source in this hallowed thread? Anyway, the folks at Fudzilla claim the dual GF100 got scrapped due to overly high power consumption (not a big surprise there if you ask me). Supposedly the "new and improved" GF104 will be used in NVIDIA's dual-GPU card to compete with the 5970.

Dual GF100 Fermi to be replaced with dual GF104 card

I may be interested in the GF104 if its rumored specs turn out to be real. Trying to keep to no more than a single 6-pin power connector for my rig's graphics card and with an alleged 150W TDP and 256 SP's/CUDA cores/whatever-the-latest-term-is the GF104 sounds like it may have a shot at that.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #752
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

lolz. Good ole Fudzilla. The main thing that irks me about them is how they sometimes forget to tell you about a source. Also, when a post starts out with "It looks" bolded, rather than telling you about their source, it's usually time to reach for the salt.

That all being said, this sounds plausible Though the fact that eternal nvidia fanboys brightside haven't said anything is perhaps a cause for mild concern

EDIT: A techPowerUp post dated March 26th discusses most of what has been spouted by the Fudsters. The Source of the techpowerup article is German site 3dcentre, which you can read Google translates English mangling of HERE Interesting stuff to say the least.

If team green can pull it off.. it's going to melt crysis face, a good two years after everyone has stopped playing it

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #753
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Assassin's Creed 4
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Some mega-epic-awesome news was reported by TechCrunch today, notifying that the upcoming Android 2.2 build Froyo(all Android builds are named after desserts) will have in-built USB tethering and the ability to make your phone a wifi hotspot.... no more third party apps or hackarounds required
Ah, something Palm's WebOS has been doing on Verizon since January and since April for free.

Quote:
But only android has that geeky Linux allure of course.
Hmm...

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #754
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

tk !! Where have you been man!

For those who aren't phone OS phanboys like tk and me, WebOS is indeed also built on a Linux kernel....but unlike android is NOT fully open source (some propietary snippets in there which are about the only thing Palm did right business wise!)

As previously reported. Palm have taken a fabulous concept/product like webOS and turned their company into a basket case because they do not have the hardware nouse of someone like Motorola, Samsung, SonyEricsson, HTC or dare I say Apple. Subsequently, they were snapped up by HP just last month.

The HP[alm]acquisition has the potential of being a stunning combination - we'd all love to see a webOS tablet.

The mass market appeal that android is achieving is most definitely not because it flaunts its Linux underpinnings.

eg. Oz's largest Telecommunications co. has just jumped on the android bandwagon in a huge way - and nowhere in all its web or TV/radio/print presence has the Linux factor been mentioned in their official releases. Saying "Google's exciting new operating system" sounds much cooler

Same goes for when you visit Verizon's DROID site for US users, vodafone in UK etc.

They want to promote the device as an iphone alternative, and bringing in the Linux factor is probably not the best way to advertise that. In fact, the only places you will find that really flaunt the android/linux angle are linux focussed sites like linuxfordevices.com and dev sites like xda. ie. places where non tech savvy mortals will never tread.

The smartphone market is going to get every interesting very quick! With iPhoneOS4 and Windows Phone 7 around the corner, Android going from strength to strength, a healthy WebOS device presence would be a welcome addition.

In other news, the Google IO Conference wrapped up recently - with most of the news being more exciting to developer folk. Three things that were announced that hold particular interest:

*VP8 web video format launched as open source WebM project. has already been incorporated into nightly builds of chrome and FF. Adobe already announced as partners, and early indications are that MS will support it for IE9. This is really great news for devs who were starting to feel ill at the thought of H.264 licensing fees demanded by Apple/MS.

*Google Wave is now open to the public

*Chrome Apps store is being developed, to tie in with future Chrome OS devices. A demo of an entirely browser based 'plants vs zombies' and lego star wars was shown, indicating the interesting potential of the ChromeOS. Whether it takes off is still too hard to call. >>source

Engadget has just published its HTC EVO 4G Review. Looks like a truly amazing device for those lucky enough to live in a 4G zone, and who don't mind phones 'big n beautiful'. This thing is Huge - and is capable of 720p video out via built in HDMI

To illustrate the hugeness...Here's a pic of it next to the nexus 1 which is essentially the same size as an iphone.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #755
urluckyday

^Pretty. I wants!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #756
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
^Pretty. I wants!
if your're a zune fan, you may want to see how WP7 pans out first.. An LG prototype was being shown off the other day across the interwebs

Pretty slick looking. MS have also announced that the WP7 phones will be incorporating their own version of maps/navigation via its Bing service.

Owners of slightly older lappies may be excited at the prospect of MSI external GPU dock. Recently unveiled at Computex, It connects via an express card slot and has its own power supply - currently rated at 84WTDP - which would limit it to something such as the Radeon 5670.

Future versions will sport USB3 and a higher TDP capacity. Having the freedom to put an updated Dx11 GPU in two year old lappie is great news IMO - and having it in an external dock takes away the heat concerns when you're throttling an internal mobile-gpu. If implemented well, it sounds like a super idea.

Here's a piccie, and more info at original source bit-tech.net

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #757
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

The Google I/O Conference has wrapped up, and on top of the stuff mentioned above, and confirmation of Android 2.2(Froyo), which some Nexus1 users have already received as an over the air update, the other *bug* news was Google's announcement of their plans to get into the webTV game.

Other companies have tried it before, how will they go?? They have some heavy sitters on their side already, like intel, logitech and sony. Indications are it will have Hulu integration, though I imagine that is still limited to US users only

Here's an intro video here:

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-23-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #758
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

I like the concept. If I had a Google TV that displayed at 1080p, would Hulu's 480p stream still do it for me as far as image quality goes? I've never really looked into it as I'm still using a 480 CRT for my TV. I've heard the term upscaling but since my TV doesn't display at a resolution that could even utilize upscaling...

I wonder what ISP's are thinking about their network bandwidth utilization if this really takes off. I'd drop my cable TV service and go with Google TV if I could get all the programming that I wanted through Google TV. If you had a lot of people doing this though I can't imagine that the cable TV companies would be that thrilled.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #759
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell View Post
I like the concept. If I had a Google TV that displayed at 1080p, would Hulu's 480p stream still do it for me as far as image quality goes?
Alot of online content, even p2p still gets pumped out at sub 480p and looks fine even on a 1080p display. You only really notice if you're sitting up close

It's hard to see how Google TV is going to pan out at this stage. The HTPC crowd want it to be an uber device with tuner support, whereas these first iterations are instead chosing to usurp control of existing set top boxes through IR blasters and such.

I can see it being something built into HDTVs in the future, like current internet enabled TVs, but whether it takes off depends on how user friendly the interface is and what the content is like.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 05-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #760
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

nvidia's new beta drivers are out - 257.15. I don't know why there is a 60point version jump, but it looks like its here to stay, as they are official beta drivers, not a .inf tweak job by some anonymous nerd on a creepy tech forum

expreview did a nice little rundown of some performance differences, using a GTX480 test bed:

Speaking of Fermi, the GTX 480M has been announced.... Grill Force in a lappie?? Sounds a bit scary to me, but no benchies yet, so the jokes must be put on hold

Also, Guru3D got their hands on a Zotac 480, with some noticeable temp differences from the references benchies. You can read the review >>here

In other amusing news, Michael Arrington, founder of tech blog TechCrunch has finally had his chickens come home to roost. Famous for shooting his mouth off about Yahoo, it seems he met his match in feisty Yahoo CEO, Carol Bartz, who firmly told him to "F**k off" in an interview.

I wont embed vid directly, but you can see Carol drop the F bomb, and the whole interview in context at this brightside article

Arrington is an archetypal chubby tech geek with a big mouth, Carol is a pioneering woman in the 'mans world' of tech. She has worked for Digital, 3M, and took autodesk to its modern day strength. In comparison to that, Arrington hasn't done much at all - which Carol pointed out to him in tremendous fashion

lolz

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-26-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Tech News and Gossip thread...