lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Tech News and Gossip thread...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 PM   #81
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Here's another wee update:

Phenom 9900 (2.6Ghz) review
It looks like even the higher-clocked Phenoms can't quite bring the goods either, even though it's probably still caused by the L3-cache so AMD really needs to get their finger out and get us either higher clocks or better price/performance ratio or preferably both...I agree that K10 needs a major kick up the arse if it's going to rival the now aging Core2 architecture and even stand a remote chance against Nehalem...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #82
MJ-W4

^ I really wonder what the story is behind that dratted Level-3 cache. This seems to be the one thing that prevents the phenom to get anywhere. Somehow, that doesn't fit in with the rest of the design at all.

If I do buy a mac in '08, there'll be no AMD troubles at my end but this is really intrigueing.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
MJ-W4 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #83
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
NegSun, a piffy inquirer article does not maketh a review... we will let you get away with it, assuming you are drunk with christmas cheer

some more reviews here:
>Legit Reviews Nov 19 2007
annoying thing about this article > its "gaming" benchies are given at low spec only, which shows relative performance of the CPUs well, but is not really practical. As has been done in other reviews, showing how the CPU marks plateau compared to GPU demands would have put some of those results in context for gaming. Also, there is no comparison to the Q6700, which would have been handy (Although there are some Q6600 numbers in there)

>Neoseeker Dec 19 2007

>Overclockers Club Dec 23 2007

I think the conclusions made by the neoskeeer reviewer are important > the winner is indeed the consumer

For those that want a 1337 gaming rig, I think it has been demonstrated that performance, especially at higher rez, is really locked in with what your GPU can muster. This is a curious contest, but unfortuantely, outside the realm of benchies, its becoming a pissing contest, with not a huge amount of practical carryover. If youre going to have a magnificent/expensive CPU, your gaming performance at least, will still be limited. Of course, the profile of how teh CPU picthes in will change with developments in mainbaords/GPUs/Apps...as it always does

Price is going to be a significant issue, even before AMD rolls out there 45nm.

The comparable Intel Q6700 is listed at newegg at $539.00, whereas the scuttlebut seems to be AMD is going to be pricing the 9900 at the $350 mark.

My Wallet's Conclusion:
For me, Im going to sit this battle out for the moment I'll be interested in the 45nm numbers and the pricing of the 3Ghz CPUS when they come out. Other than that, Im more interested to see what those clowns ATI and nvidia can do try get "tri-sli" numbers on one card, and with much lower power demands. I think I'll be waiting at least 12 months

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #84
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Lolz well the reviews all say the same though don't they?

Intel wins this round hands down, and until the 45nm AMD "Stars" CPUs roll out and the Phenoms are a bit more settled (and hopefully down in price and up in performance) I wouldn't bother looking at anything else just now if you're well off...

I've seen some very well priced AM2+ boards lately, so I think I'd go for one of those with an X2 5000+ Black Edition which can give you as much performance as a 6400+ on air cooling apparently...And after that just slap an AM2+ True Quad in there once they've been around a bit longer and maybe switched to 45nm by then.

Seeing as I've got a 130nm Athlon XP just now, switching to a 65nm wouldn't exactly be heartbreaking, even if it is the aging Athlon64 X2.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #85
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I wouldnt even worry abou that too much negsun...upgrading a GPU is where gamers are going to see the most benefit atm. A 3850 or 8800GT will give them performance jumps beyond staying with with a lower end card and changing CPU from x2 ro x4 alone, whatever brand > thus is the crux of my rant

Let intel and AMD R&D fight it out...Hopefully their marketing depts.will follow suit At the end of the day, thats the most important aspect of it all for us consumers

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #86
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
I wouldnt even worry abou that too much negsun...upgrading a GPU is where gamers are going to see the most benefit atm. A 3850 or 8800GT will give them performance jumps beyond staying with with a lower end card and changing CPU from x2 ro x4 alone, whatever brand > thus is the crux of my rant

Let intel and AMD R&D fight it out...Hopefully their marketing depts.will follow suit At the end of the day, thats the most important aspect of it all for us consumers

mtfbwya
Aye if I build my new system anytime soon it'll be an HD3850 with an X2 5000+ Black Edition...But it wouldn't hurt to have an AM2+ mobo for future uprgading, cause since it's got PCIe 2.0 on it with double the bandwith the graphics as well as the processor would benefit from that kind of mobo I think...Even though they still have to iron out some of the bugs, by the time I get round to getting it I'm sure it'll all be settled.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #87
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
First info on NVIDIA's GeForce 9600 GT (D9M) has shown up on various tech websites. I like DailyTech so I'll post a link to their article on the 9600 GT. <click here>

An NVIDIA representative is reported to have said that performance of the 9600 GT is almost double that of the 8600 GT. Heh. Considering how poorly the 8600 GT fared in a lot of reviews I'm not sure that is as impressive as it sounds.

In any case, I'm more interested in info on D9P and D9E than D9M. I expect we'll be hearing more official info about NVIDIA's 9000 series graphics cards come February.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #88
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

The specs of that 9600 look sexy for a mid-range card though, if it performs as well as it should, and its got the right price, the HD3850 might start to break a sweat

I'll jump on your nVidia 9-series bandwagon Char

GeForce 9800 GX2 pics leakage!

If the price of this beauty is sweet enough and it can outperform the 8800Ultra, and if nVidia get their Sli drivers sorted in time by its release (you'd think that was common sense huh?), this card could cause a massacre...That's a lot of ifs and buts though, not to mention AMD/Ati is working on a dual-GPU card as well, so we'll just have to see which one will pwn the most, and for what money.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #89
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Yay 8800GS mid-range cards

Radeon 3850, watch out!

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #90
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

^^^
Hmmm... Am I the only one who thinks people shouldn't bother with the 8800GS? I mean, why buy an 8th gen mid-range card when you know the 9th gen mainstream card is going to launch within the next couple of months?

I guess NVIDIA wants to offer comparably priced competition to AMD's 3850/3870 since the 8800 GT never made their announced price range of USD$200-250. But since I know the 9th gen cards are coming pretty soon I'm just not interested in anymore 8th gen offerings.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #91
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

ah, theyve finally entered the 9xxx series I hope the 9990 lives up to the relative coolness of its associated number I wonder if they'll go with 10K after that ??

Im not sure Im a fan of the x2 revival though. Being a former 7950GX2 owner, theyre relative cost and power consumption didn't make dual PCB/GPU cards an ideal choice from an efficiency point of view. One would be better off SLI-ing two 8800GTs perhaps ??

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-07-2008, 11:43 AM   #92
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
New Intel Processors!

waugh, i knew i should've waited a bit more to upgrade :S

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #93
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
New Intel Processors!

waugh, i knew i should've waited a bit more to upgrade :S
lolz, more a$$ kicking headed towards AMD

I liked the article on the Phenom 9600 Black Edition on that site as well, thanks! At least it shows the Phenom can reach those higher clocks, so that chip sounds quite nice for enthusiasts at least...

More update folks:
1Gb HD3850!!! And an AGP version too!
Sexay stuff!!! The 1Gb might be a bit overkill like the article said, but still, especially at higher resolutions it can come in way handy!

I'd get the AGP version if my system wasn't hindered by the other components in that way...

Last edited by Negative Sun; 01-08-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #94
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Wow:

New Mac Pro has 2 Intel Xeon Quads, meaning 8 cores! Official Mac Pro info
Too bad they jammed a 2600XT in there, hellooo electricity bill!
Very nice lolz, especially when you look at the entry level price tag as well $2,799...Ouch!

On the same kind of note:
Intel's Skulltrail does 4Ghz on Air cooling

Hate to admit it, but Intel nailed this one...2 Quads on one motherboard being able to reach 4Ghz on air is nothing to sniff at.
The price tag on these is even more extreme though, for you Yanks, 3,000 for a "basic" Extreme Skulltrail system translates to about $6,000!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #95
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

what are reviewers up to damnit!!

Smaller, quieter, cheaper, more efficient is how progress should be made. These power hungry, cash guzzling replacements for your heater will be ignored by most consumers, even enthusiasts for that matter..

Most 'enthusiasts' I know are always complaining they need to upgrade their 2 year old system(due to mainly being students), thus the meddles with the OCs etc

I'd like to see numbers on whether a 1GB framebuffer actually makes a significant difference(apart from to the bank balance of course)

Intel couldnt really fail with their 45nm IMO, the revamp they did with C2D set them on a development pathway to get to where they are now. This seems to be where AMD are stagnating. The 'quad from the ground up' strategy hasnt paid off yet. If priced appropriately, they could still sell well though, which is all they need to keep them keeping on with their spiders and pumas and whatnots

Still, until AMD roll out their 45nm CPUs, the almighty judges of the CPU pissing contest(whoever they are) cant rightfully call a 'true quad' winner

For me though, the a$$kicking handed out by crysis to the high end cards in HD/UHD has dulled my keen-ness to upgrade anytime soon

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 AM   #96
MJ-W4

^ the positive aspect about the new supersized gear is that 'sensible' gear will drop to more amiable prices. If I still decide to buy a mac, it'll be quite a bit cheaper once a sufficient number of users gets the hots for the latest stuff.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #97
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

The question is MJ - do you really need a Mac?? I know I dont - even being a fan of Final Cut Pro doesnt justify the cost of such a thing to me. If it werent for ze games, Id be happy with linux. As I like gaming -- and I like the control/flexibility of DIY-PC, it will always be windows for me. Cant beat those smallforms IMO - small, efficient and pack enough punch to game alongside those monstrosities

For those that have some money to spare, and in particular are graphic/design/visual arts and film professionals, then mac all the way. Everyone else is wasting their money AFAIC. The vaunted mac "ease of use" is no way a justification for the pricetag for some of those things...

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #98
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
The vaunted mac "ease of use" is no way a justification for the pricetag for some of those things...
Mac lover that I am.. I couldn't agree with you more... Unless you have a specific need for a Mac (or it's proggies), they just aren't (sadly) a viable option in today's computer market.

Don't get me wrong, they're definitely no waste of silicon...my Mac is a beast, but for most of people's needs (and/or desires) nowadays.. you're going to be more upset than you may anticipate. I have a Mac, with bootcamp.. but I also have a standalone true-blue PC which gets used much more often

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 01-10-2008 at 02:44 PM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #99
MJ-W4

@ Astro: you're right, old chap, I'm only playing on the thought for - as I said elsewhere - ease of use. The prospect of buying a regular machine along with another guitar seems a lot more enticing, come to think of it. As soon as I get it past the missus, I'm likely to choose the latter option.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #100
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
I'll jump on your nVidia 9-series bandwagon Char

GeForce 9800 GX2 pics leakage!
I'll see your GX2 and raise you an ATI R680, featuring dual GPU's and an estimated USD$400-500 price tag. Heh. Bet you didn't think I would pull an ATI card out, did ya?

Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #101
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
I'll see your GX2 and raise you an ATI R680, featuring dual GPU's and an estimated USD$400-500 price tag. Heh. Bet you didn't think I would pull an ATI card out, did ya?
Awesome, I'd seen some pics of it before though I can't wait to see some reviews of it...

Mo news:
Like screens? How's about an 82" Samsung at UHD (3840x2160) resolution ?

SSD PC becoming a reality!
One of the main weak links in a modern PC can usually be your hard drive, as whatever the other components do they sometimes still have to wait on your HDD to crunch away and get all that data read or written...SSD (Solid State Drive) is like a flash USB card, but with loads more storage, and it's kicking traditional HDDs in the groin by breaking records all over the place! Keep an eye out for this stuff, once it's more affordable it's probably gonna be your next Hard Drive

Last but not least:
Blu-Ray + HD-DVD on the same disc!
I'm not too sure what to make of this yet, but it would certainly solve some headaches for companies trying to decides whether to release their movies or games on either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD...

Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 AM   #102
MJ-W4

Quote:
SSD PC becoming a reality!
One of the main weak links in a modern PC can usually be your hard drive, as whatever the other components do they sometimes still have to wait on your HDD to crunch away and get all that data read or written...SSD (Solid State Drive) is like a flash USB card, but with loads more storage, and it's kicking traditional HDDs in the groin by breaking records all over the place! Keep an eye out for this stuff, once it's more affordable it's probably gonna be your next Hard Drive
Well that was bound to happen, I think, as by now many peepz have found out that sticking the swap/pagefile on a USB sticky greatly speeds up things. The SSD will be one of the more notable changes, especially since it handles better and a lot more safely than regular HDs with all their jiggly moving bits in them.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #103
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
Mac lover that I am.. I couldn't agree with you more... Unless you have a specific need for a Mac (or it's proggies), they just aren't (sadly) a viable option in today's computer market.
Wow. And this is coming from someone who loves Macs. I think the Mac guy just got that kick in the nuts that Astro always wanted to give him -and it came from Chainz of all people. What the hell is this world coming to?

@NS: IIRC, Char El mentioned something about SSDs quite a while back, and they are an exciting topic indeed. Imagine an HDD with an access time measured in nanoseconds, and with no moving parts that can wear out over time. They're bound to be prohibitively expensive at first, though.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #104
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Wow. And this is coming from someone who loves Macs. I think the Mac guy just got that kick in the nuts that Astro always wanted to give him -and it came from Chainz of all people. What the hell is this world coming to?...
lolz, it wasnt the mac guy I wanted to kick in the nuts, it was the creator of those ads, for doing not much about being informative. An ad that featured what Macs are good at would have been more informative, rather than one that harped on gripes with PCs.

love that UHD screen - but even I must admit - OLED > LCD. More energy effcient too.... Since no GPU can kick ass in even 1600p, theres plenty o' time for me me to plan bank heists to get a 8MP 82" OLED, whenever theyre released.

@MJ - I wouldnt even bother pitching the Mac to the missus.... I think she'd prefer to be serenaded by your guitar than lose you for hours point'n'clickin and cursing how you could do all that stuff for 1/3 the price on a PC

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #105
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
@NS: IIRC, Char El mentioned something about SSDs quite a while back, and they are an exciting topic indeed. Imagine an HDD with an access time measured in nanoseconds, and with no moving parts that can wear out over time. They're bound to be prohibitively expensive at first, though.
It boots XP in 20 seconds FFS!
No time to make yourself tea or coffee anymore while the PC is booting lolz

Old 01-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #106
MJ-W4

Post Them Gurlz...

Quote:
@MJ - I wouldn't even bother pitching the Mac to the missus.... I think she'd prefer to be serenaded by your guitar than lose you for hours point'n'clickin and cursing how you could do all that stuff for 1/3 the price on a PC

mtfbwya
lolz - The Mira of Miras is all for a flashy, nifty macsy. Getting just another comp and just another guitar is the hard part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Dear, what do you want with yet another guitar? Haven't you got quite enough? Why another blue one, anyway? Why don't you just have one of yours re-painted [sic]? And that MacIntosh is sooooooo lovely...........
Continue ad lib...

Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #107
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Here's a couple more interesting ones:

MSI says: "no more old school BIOS!"
Interesting stuff, but I wonder if it'll catch on, making the BIOS more graphical and usable might lead to more noobs trying to mess with it and thus terminating their computers, execution style hiya!

Catalyt 8.1 + hotfix(lolz) released!
I wonder if stinger could confirm if they're any good on those games...

Behold the 8800GS, eh?
I wonder if the guys at nVidia themselves know what G to us with what S or X, or was it a T?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #108
MJ-W4

Quote:
MSI says that these could include games, media players, browsers, VIRUSES... LOLz

And you're prolly right about them noobses, too, Negs.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:19 AM   #109
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Quote:
MSI says: "no more old school BIOS!"
Interesting stuff, but I wonder if it'll catch on, making the BIOS more graphical and usable might lead to more noobs trying to mess with it and thus terminating their computers, execution style hiya!
Does that mean that down the road we might use BIOS instead of Operating Systems?

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #110
MJ-W4

The BIOS (= Basic Input Output System) already is a very very small, rudimentary sort of operating system. Also, full operating systems hard coded on chips have quite a long history. The hard disk installed OSs we're using these days are not really ideal, technically speaking.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #111
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, it hasn't launched yet, but the 3870X2 is getting some interesting press. for starters, Asus jumped the gun on the launch with what appears to be a much better cooling solution than the reference design.

and of course, we also have the first review of the card as well. here's the results in a nutshell:

basically, it beats the GeForce 8800Ultra in every test except Crysis, Lost Planet, and NFS: Pro Street. granted, that's with the 8.1 drivers, too which means there's improvement with further driver updates.

no word on power consumption, but its supposed to be just slightly worse than the 2900XT. still, its sale price is expected to be about $400 USD, probably just a bit higher, but its still less than the 8800 Ultra.

my take: AMD finally has a product that can go toe-to-toe with Nvidia's best. if it was only available earlier....

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #112
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Finally is right...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #113
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
well, it hasn't launched yet, but the 3870X2 is getting some interesting press. for starters, Asus jumped the gun on the launch with what appears to be a much better cooling solution than the reference design.

and of course, we also have the first review of the card as well.

~snippedy snip the huge pic~

basically, it beats the GeForce 8800Ultra in every test except Crysis, Lost Planet, and NFS: Pro Street. granted, that's with the 8.1 drivers, too which means there's improvement with further driver updates.

no word on power consumption, but its supposed to be just slightly worse than the 2900XT. still, its sale price is expected to be about $400 USD, probably just a bit higher, but its still less than the 8800 Ultra.

my take: AMD finally has a product that can go toe-to-toe with Nvidia's best. if it was only available earlier....
Thanks for that stinger, that card is serious business, nice job from AMD, and hopefully a good start for a better year for them.

Can you imagine two of those in CrossFire (with the right drivers of course)

Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #114
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Windows 7 hits M1 release

TGDaily reports that Microsoft has shipped Milestone 1 of Windows 7 to "key partners."

One of the features mentioned is the ability for this version of Windows to support a "heterogeneous graphics system consisting of multiple graphics cards from different vendors." I believe that means the OS will have the ability to natively use multiple graphics cards to render the display, even if the graphics cards are not the same make and model. Not 100% sure though.

Also mentioned is that the OS is targeted for release in the second half of 2009, though Microsoft wouldn't comment on that. I know Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said the time gap that occured between Windows XP's release and the release of Windows Vista would never happen again but I'll believe it when it actually happens.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #115
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
no word on power consumption....
why the heck would they! Unless AMD are rolling out some engineering breakthoughs, how can a GX2 card be more power friendly than a single GPU/PCB card, high end or no.!

As a tried and tested GX2 user, I can officially say they are not much fun, from a power consumption point of view, and cumbersome to have in a rig when superceded by a superior single GPU/PCB offering.

I doubt AMD will want to rest on their laurels with that one.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #116
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
TGDaily reports that Microsoft has shipped Milestone 1 of Windows 7 to "key partners."
Interesting...I also read that they want to take Windows back to basics so it wouldn't be such a resource hog all the time (if you look at how long it takes XP or Vista to load, you know what I mean), will they be able to do it? Time will tell...

Here's another couple of items:
VIA announces "Isaiah" CPU
^ I like the name of it lolz, but if it's to compete with AMD or even Intel even in the low-end market, it's still got a long way to go IMO.

Shuttle goes 45nm with Intel
^ Looks quite interesting if you want to go for a next-gen Intel CPU (note: Astro, remind me to pick your brain about Shuttles again, I'm still toying with the idea if it should be my next rig or not )

Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #117
MJ-W4

Quote:
Interesting...I also read that they want to take Windows back to basics so it wouldn't be such a resource hog all the time (if you look at how long it takes XP or Vista to load, you know what I mean), will they be able to do it? Time will tell...
Hey Negs, you have to give them some time to get the latest stable kernel running properly in their distro. I mean, they're n00bs, so we really can't expect them to flawlessly run KDE 4.0 right away.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #118
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ-W4
Hey Negs, you have to give them some time to get the latest stable kernel running properly in their distro. I mean, they're n00bs, so we really can't expect them to flawlessly run KDE 4.0 right away.
lolz, touche

Using sound waves for better coolig, eh?
^ Sounds interesting, if it really increases performance then it's quite good obviously...I just wonder what the retail price would be.

HD3870 X2 very attractive both performance and price wise.
^ I looks like AMD really does have a winner on their hand here, with a GPU that outperforms the 8800 Ultra and is a couple hundred $$$ cheaper...

HD3870 X2 break 3dMark 06 record!
^ For those who think it isn't fast enough at stock speeds, here's some action of it OC'ed with watercooling and breaking records

Old 02-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #119
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Shuttle goes 45nm with Intel
^ Looks quite interesting if you want to go for a next-gen Intel CPU (note: Astro, remind me to pick your brain about Shuttles again, I'm still toying with the idea if it should be my next rig or not )
pick away negsun and check out www.shuttle.com while youre at it. All 3 of my rigs are shuttles at home. Apart from being wonderfully engineered and great to work in, using them has made a discernable impact on my electricity bill too.

I thoroughly recommend them to people asking, and for those that ask me to build a gaming/home theater pc, simply wont use anything else! Pretty, small, powerful but efficient - awesome kit IMO

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #120
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
pick away negsun and check out www.shuttle.com while youre at it. All 3 of my rigs are shuttles at home. Apart from being wonderfully engineered and great to work in, using them has made a discernable impact on my electricity bill too.

I thoroughly recommend them to people asking, and for those that ask me to build a gaming/home theater pc, simply wont use anything else! Pretty, small, powerful but efficient - awesome kit IMO

mtfbwya
Check thy PMs

Fancy spending 23,000GBP (or $45,500USD)?
This PC can help you do that...Wow, talk about overpricing, the comments speak volumes really.

Or if you'd rather get a new PC instead of a house, sell your current one and buy one of these...Seriously, 375,000BGP ($740,000USD) for it and all you get is a 7200GS!!! *speechless*

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Tech News and Gossip thread...