lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ForceMod III Advance v2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
MyKell
Rookie

ForceMod III Advance v2

Some may have heard of this new "mod" by Pitchest Heart. Info can be found at www.phrgempire.com.

My personal feelings about it's creator and his motives have been well published (to say the least).

Here is my point of debate:

Is it acceptable to use other peoples work (models/weapons/map) in your mod without permission?

Is it acceptable to take the core of a mod (ForceMod III in this case) tweak the saber, weapon, bot, and npc files and call your work a "new version"?

Thanks!

MyKell
VB.net programmer
www.deseonet.com
MyKell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
From my understanding of modder etiquette/rules, you're supposed to ask permission if you wish to use the original author's work (as is?). However, since much of what is modded is often a reworking of a game's original files, is it realistic to expect modders to go to the original programmer of a specific file and ask permission to modify said file? If you don't go that far with the game's original author's work, why should you with another modder? I think that you should at least tip your hat in your read me file, but that if you're only using the other modder's work as a starting point....well isn't that what he was doing from the box, so to speak? As long as they are only taking credit for their tweaking, versus passing it off as completely original, I'm not sure it should be a real big deal. lies have a way of catching up with people.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Heavyarms
The Buckeye Maneater!!!

Location: America, the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave!
Totenkopf hit it close, but I'm going further. Even if you use it as a base, you should still credit it as a base. You took it, you should give credit. If you did it in college with a paper, they call it plagarism.

Proud to be an American.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke
Heavyarms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
MyKell
Rookie

Would it matter if one used a model without permission because the readme contains a deactivated e-mail address?

MyKell
VB.net programmer
www.deseonet.com
MyKell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Heavyarms
The Buckeye Maneater!!!

Location: America, the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave!
Nope. Makes no difference. That's like saying that because I moved away to Japan from the U.S, someone can take my patented invention in the U.S. and sell it to another company.

Proud to be an American.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke
Heavyarms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > ForceMod III Advance v2