lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect for PC!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #41
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe
Great news that a PC version is in the works, seems like it's time to start caring about this game and see what it is about. I just hope the system requirements aren't too draconian.
Just don't believe everything you read, good or bad. People claim to have completed the game in like 7 hours, but the shortest play through I’ve ever had was like 24 hours the first time I played. My guess with your knowledge of other games, you take your time and really explore. My last time through, I believe my seventh, took 56 hours. There are many Easter Eggs hidden throughout the game, many I had no clue what they were about, but with your knowledge of games you might.

Still have to play the game as a renegade, I’ve tried, but was not able to get to 75% in order to get the Xbox achievement. I am trying to figure out with all the help you’ve given me in the past would I recommend this game to you. After all, you made Oblivion complete enjoyment for me. Best I can say, Mass Effect is a beautiful, well written and has a great ending, but it also has flaws and some plot holes. Yes, I would recommend it, especially since you did not follow all the hype. Just know that combat is not turn based.

One request, if you do indeed get Mass Effect, I would really like to see the PC you create with the Character Creation system Bioware came up with for Mass Effect. If you can do what you did with Oblivion’s Character Creation system, I can’t wait to see your Mass Effect PC.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #42
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
That's cool. Eh, well I'm probably getting it (Not that much of a necessity), but the if the mods are dying for, I might as well hurry it.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #43
correllian_thug
Rookie

im just to happy there isn't a word for it...... best news since KOTOR was released IMO
correllian_thug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #44
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Sweet.

Was hoping this one would come to the PC.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #45
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Didnt they say once that ME would never come to the PC though? O.o
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 AM   #46
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aash Li
Didnt they say once that ME would never come to the PC though? O.o
They probably used the wonderfully PR-diplomatic phrase "We have no plans at this time to..." which is a No which could change into a Yes at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Just don't believe everything you read, good or bad. There are many Easter Eggs hidden throughout the game, many I had no clue what they were about, but with your knowledge of games you might.
(snip)
One request, if you do indeed get Mass Effect, I would really like to see the PC you create with the Character Creation system Bioware came up with for Mass Effect. If you can do what you did with Oblivion’s Character Creation system, I can’t wait to see your Mass Effect PC.
Sounds like a typical Bioware RPG in many respects, from what I've heard so far, so chances are I will probably like it when I get it. Since I've been unable to play it so far (due to its console-only nature) I haven't bothered looking much at the game before though.

I'll post screenshots of my character when I get the game.

Last edited by stoffe; 02-15-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Missed to reply to one post.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #47
Web Rider

Much as I look forward to being able to get this for the PC, I'll probly be cheaper to buy an X360 than to upgrade my PC to be able to play this.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #48
2Cold Scorpio
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Oh boy! Another game to sit on my shelf and get dusty! (Still need to get The Witcher, and VTM Bloodlines)

I am trapped in Stormreach... send platnium pieces!
Indeed, I still haven't gotten around to playing Jade Empire, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion got put on the backburner because I'm going back through K1 to play Brotherhood of Shadow. Still, nice knowing another good (I hope) game will be on the PC. Now if we only knew if The Force Unleashed is getting a PC release or not (same for GTA4). At least Mercenaries 2 is coming soon.

2Cold Scorpio, Rogues' Guild class 1A
www.GuildCom.us

"By the ancient spirits' rites, the old ghosts proclaim their rights; still they're lost in time." -"Blood on My Hands", Demons & Wizards
"We'll build a perfect beast with the knowledge they seek; if it takes ten thousand years, we never will retreat!" -"Prophecy", Iced Earth
"If you'll pardon my stealing of movie lines: The Force is with us" -Ronald W. Reagan
2Cold Scorpio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #49
Aash Li
Speak nerdy to me! ;P

Current Game: LotRO, EQ2 & RoM
Hot Topic Starter 
Stoffe you keep coming up with new and prettier versions of that avatar... <3
Aash Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #50
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130325

I'd recommend this one, as it's a whole bunch cheaper than the PNY version.
I agree. It also has a lifetime warranty (as do BFG and XFX cards), which the PNY card lacks.

@Jimbo: Your monitor dollars would also be better spent on an 8-bit (PVA; MVA; IPS) panel instead of a 6-bit one. TN panels should never be that expensive, IMO.

OT: Yeah, I knew that a PC version of ME would be released eventually; I just didn't expect that it would happen so soon.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 AM   #51
MasterWaffle
Rookie

I might just try this. My Xbox 360 play through died halfway through because I cannot for the life of me play first person shooters (even in RPGs), but I suspect my aiming would be much better wth a mouse. Wouldn't count on it, though. I really suck.
Am I the only one slightly put off by the voice of female Shepard? All I hear when she's talking is a silly cartoon my brother used to watch...

MasterWaffle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #52
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Hehe Why do I see a KotOR mod for this game coming soon to a community near you.....
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #53
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWaffle
Am I the only one slightly put off by the voice of female Shepard? All I hear when she's talking is a silly cartoon my brother used to watch...
Really? It's Jennifer Hale's, the same voice as Bastile in KotOR, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it'd be good.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #54
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWaffle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades
Really? It's Jennifer Hale's, the same voice as Bastila in KotOR, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it'd be good.
You are correct it is Jennifer Hale, and personally I thought she did a wonderful job in Mass Effect as the female Shepard. I thought her Shepard was way better than the male version.

However, in fairness to MasterWaffle, Jennifer Hale has done many cartoon voiceovers.
Jennifer Hale Imdb

Last edited by mimartin; 02-19-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo or grammer who am I to judge
Old 02-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #55
Corinthian
Banned

Really, is there anything Jennifer Hale HASN'T done?
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #56
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Really, is there anything Jennifer Hale HASN'T done?
*looks at IMDB link* no....apparently there isn't...

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM   #57
MasterWaffle
Rookie

I guess I am the only one then!

I think it's because her Shepard voice sounds similar to the cartoon voice overs and therefore I cannot take it seriously. Bastila sounds British at least, so it's not as noticeable.

Oh well, just thought I'd ask.

MasterWaffle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #58
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
The Mass Effect Engine

As someone that hasn't played Mass Effect, would it make a good engine for Knights of the Old Republic III?

Edit: I somehow missed the Mass Effect thread in the forum. Moderators, feel free to close this thread or delete it.

Mod note: Merged the threads ~M

Last edited by stoffe; 02-27-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #59
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Chris Priestly has announced Mass Effect for PC will be released on May 6 in North America.
Mass Effect for PC release date announced

Uh, yeah. I have the feeling I'll be infected with some nasty virus that will require me to stay home for a few days starting May 6. Being the kind, considerate person I am and all I don't want to contaminate my fellow co-workers.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 AM   #60
Ghost Down

Ah man, I hope the European release will be May 6th to..

Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #61
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Well, for me, i still need to get a better CPU and video card to play that bad boy. Any idea on the specs needed?
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 05:16 AM   #62
Ghost Down

Probably the same as Bioshock, GoW, UT3

Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM   #63
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Quote:
I thought her Shepard was way better than the male version.Jennifer Hale Imdb
I didn't mind the male Shepard's voice while going Paragon. It seemed a bit too soft for my renegade exploits though.

It's kinda funny listening to the female Shepard talking with Kaiden, since Kaiden's voice is Carth Onasi in KotOR.

If you close your eyes when they talk, it's like being on the Ebon Hawk again.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #64
sayoko
Rookie

Quote:
Probably not, Lucasarts seems to have a certain fondness for putting a stop to Starwars mods for games not released by them
Hm any example´s for that? I didnt notice them preventing stuff like that and i know of some very good starwars mod´s for non-star wars games.
(BF2142 First Strike is the most recent is guess, and Warlords for Homeworld by EvilJedi is another very popular mod)

OT: Iam just glad i predicted this and didnt buy ME for my Xbox, i kinda knew they would sooner or later bring it out for the PC.
And the PC version allows Mod´s and Mod´s are what makes games like that even more fun to play for even more time!

Iam hoping for alot of sweet stoffe mod´s :-)
sayoko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #65
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
I didn't mind the male Shepard's voice while going Paragon.
Nothing wrong with the male voice, Jennifer Hale just did an outstanding job IMO. Actually when I wrote that post above I did not have a full appreciation of how good a job Jennifer Hale actually did. Her Renegade voice is classic, you can hear the subtle sarcasm in her voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skywalker
Any idea on the specs needed?
They have not released the specs as of 02/26/2008. It pushes the Xbox360 to it limit, so I’m hoping my three month old PC can handle them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
Uh, yeah. I have the feeling I'll be infected with some nasty virus that will require me to stay home for a few days starting May 6. Being the kind, considerate person I am and all I don't want to contaminate my fellow co-workers.
If you are going to do a complete exploration job and you are planning to sleep some, you may want to make it 72-hour virus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron
As someone that hasn't played Mass Effect, would it make a good engine for Knights of the Old Republic III?
I’d like to see how Mass Effect translates to PC before making that determination. However, I would say with a few small tweaks the engine would make a great Star Wars RPG game, including KOTOR III.
Quote:
I'll post screenshots of my character when I get the game.
Can’t wait. All my female Shepard’s look basically the same except with different hair styles and color. Now some of the images posted on the Mass Effect forum look amazing. Needless to say my favorite PC creations have been other people’s work. Although the one time I really worked at it I got a fairly good likeness of myself. No matter your skill level it is hard to create a bad looking PC with the character creation system.

Last edited by mimartin; 02-27-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #66
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron
Well, they need to either implement the melee fight well, or simply abandon it. Though that's not likely.

Quote:
No matter your skill level it is hard to create a bad looking PC with the character creation system.
Not true. Take a look on the character tha spawn up every time you choose a male character. That's ugly.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #67
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Looks like the release date for the PC version of Mass Effect may have been pushed back 3 weeks to May 27. No official confirmation from BioWare on this but some retail websites like Amazon, Gamestop, and GoGamer.com now list May 27 instead of May 6 as the ship date for the game.

Guess this means my life-threatening illness won't occur until the end of May now.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #68
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I'm oh so glad I remained patient and didn't buy a 360 just to get this game. I can't wait to be playing it on my machine in a few months time! I know it will be worth the wait!

Now if we can only get TFU on pc.....*dreams*

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #69
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char Ell
Looks like the release date for the PC version of Mass Effect may have been pushed back 3 weeks to May 27....

Guess this means my life-threatening illness won't occur until the end of May now.
Hmm--I wonder how long I can make my Labor day 'weekend' last.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #70
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Maybe they pushed it back for the AWESOME TAX REBATE we're getting haha....

Who knows... little extra cash, new game... Yup I'm getting it..
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #71
JCarter426

Aww...three weeks?

Actually, this might be a good thing; I won't disappear from the face of the earth until late May, when I'm expected to anyway.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 AM   #72
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

It's official now. Chris Priestly announced today that Mass Effect for PC will be released on May 28 in North America and June 6 in Europe.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #73
Lantzen
Aku Soku Zan

Hope they fix the haircuts... Serious, what the problem with doing good looking haircuts in game ? in Mass Effect for xbox they sucks, in Neverwinter Nights 2 most of them suck and in Oblivion almost evryone sucks. And it can't be so hard to do them either, since modder have fixed it for all the above game, except ME since it's pretty hard to mod a xbox ^^
Lantzen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #74
Ghost Down

Man, I have to wait till the 6th of June, but atleast my summer holiday starts somewhere around that time

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #75
Altha
Lurker

Quote:
They probably used the wonderfully PR-diplomatic phrase "We have no plans at this time to..." which is a No which could change into a Yes at any time.
One can hope that The Force Unleashed will get the same treatment, eventually...
Altha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #76
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
Source.

Accompanied by an immaculate chorus, BioWare's Jay Watamaniuk has released the system requirements for the corporation's critically acclaimed (buzz words are fun...) Mass Effect which is due to be released on the PC on May 28th in North America and June 6th in Europe.

Quote:
Minimum System Requirements for Mass Effect on the PC

Operating System:
Windows XP or Vista

Processor:
2.4+GHZ Intel or 2.0+GHZ AMD

Memory:
1 Gigabyte Ram (XP)
2 Gigabyte Ram (Vista)

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 6 series(6800GT or better)
ATI 1300XT or better (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)

Hard Drive Space:
12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
----------

Recommended System Requirements for Mass Effect on the PC

Operating System:
Windows XP or Vista

Processor:
2.6+GHZ Intel or 2.4+GHZ AMD

Memory:
2 Gigabyte Ram

Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or higher.
ATI X1800 XL series or higher

Hard Drive Space:
12 Gigabytes

Sound Card:
DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers – 5.1 sound card recommended

-----------
Additional Note from Derek French:

The Mass Effect Config program will automatically adjust your settings on first run, to attempt to give you an optimal play experience. As with all PC games, computer performance varies from system to system and adjustments can be made via the Config or through the in-game options to tailor your experience.
The "Mass Effect Config program" in itself sounds epic, extreme, and ground breaking. (I told you buzz words were fun). But in all seriousness: it's nice to see a game out for PC that isn't going to need a nuclear power station to run it.

Happy gaming, PC-ers!

- Pavlos

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.

Last edited by Pavlos; 04-16-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Source pointed to SWK news article rather than the source...
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #77
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
...(I told you buzz words were fun). But in all seriousness: it's nice to see a game out for PC that isn't going to need a nuclear power station to run it.

Happy gaming, PC-ers!

- Pavlos
since when can you have a decent gaming experience at min specs...!! in my thrifty student days I experienced constantly the disheartenment caused by trying to play a game on its min specs....

Also, on LCD screens, dumbing down rez and quality settings is not a forgiving process...

I'd upgraded my rig to play NWN2, a year later, my specs are still decent for Mass Effect Gotta love BioWare.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #78
Ghost Down

Heh, and I'm about to buy a 700 dollar gaming rig, lol

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 PM   #79
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
The only thing I'm worried about is my graphics card. It says the minimum is an ATI X1300XT while I have an X800 Pro. Hmm...
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #80
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Most excellent! BioWare had been saying they were shooting for making the MEPC run on a high-end PC from 2 years ago.

My system meets or exceeds all the recommended requirements except for the video card and that isn't by much. Considering that my PC was high end back in October 2005 when I built it I'm excited at the prospect of experiencing MEPC without having to turn down a whole lot of the quality settings.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect for PC!!

Tags
bioware, game, mass effect