lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #41
schirminater
Rookie

Quote:
"KotOR III" is a myth.
I don't know about that. I think that once The Forced Unleashed is released we will here some announcements of KOTOR III. I don't believe LA wants to ruin all the hype of TFU. If we do not here anything by then, I personally doubt its coming.
schirminater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #42
Jamps

KIII is in development. Its a known fact. They will eventually have to announce it.
Jamps is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #43
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
^ It's in no way a known fact.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #44
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Assassin's Creed 4
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Lucasarts should put out a KotOR 1 + KotOR 2 dual-game package and call it KotOR 3 (1+2).

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #45
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
Lucasarts should put out a KotOR 1 + KotOR 2 dual-game package and call it KotOR 3 (1+2).

Don't give Lucasarts any ideas tk, at least not for free.

mimartin is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #46
sayoko
Rookie

@TheSource, you have a point there i was kinda wondering aswell how unspecial the 30th anniversy stuff was, i mean there were a few new novels and they republished a few of the older books.
I was kinda expecting at least some announcements of future games, mby a big preview on the TV series etc but as you said it was kinda flatline.

But from my pov i just cant understand why they are not working on their old franchises, i mean there is not only the KotOR series many fans would love to be continued, we also have the JK series, Battlefront and sth alot of people have been asking and making petitions for X-wing/Tie-Fighter.
Yet LA as basically only released Empire at War in the last time? TFU is in work sure, and the Bioware+LA MMO is most likely going to be SW aswell but apart from that there arent many new SW games on the Horizon even tho i think there was some Intervie with LA about them "having not forgot about our old franchises" and "planning to have around 2 games each year".

Well aslong as they dont make an official statement that the KotOR series is finsihed ill keep my hopes up.
sayoko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #47
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoko
@TheSource, you have a point there i was kinda wondering aswell how unspecial the 30th anniversy stuff was, i mean there were a few new novels and they republished a few of the older books.
I was kinda expecting at least some announcements of future games, mby a big preview on the TV series etc but as you said it was kinda flatline.

But from my pov i just cant understand why they are not working on their old franchises, i mean there is not only the KotOR series many fans would love to be continued, we also have the JK series, Battlefront and sth alot of people have been asking and making petitions for X-wing/Tie-Fighter.
Yet LA as basically only released Empire at War in the last time? TFU is in work sure, and the Bioware+LA MMO is most likely going to be SW aswell but apart from that there arent many new SW games on the Horizon even tho i think there was some Intervie with LA about them "having not forgot about our old franchises" and "planning to have around 2 games each year".

Well aslong as they dont make an official statement that the KotOR series is finsihed ill keep my hopes up.
If you think about how imporant a 30th anniversary would be, I personally believe that last year would have been the time to make big announcements. When I walked into 'Barns & Noble', 'Borders', and 'Toy-R-Us', I was expecing a massive display with new novels, collectibles, or something. Instead, we got a small amount of this and a small amount of that. Most of the figures released were just repackaged from previous series. When it comes to the games, I don't think anything special was released in 2007. Yeah, we have the announced "Force Unleashed", but that is pretty much the big news. If LucasArts was going to make an announcement for "KotOR III", they would have done so during their anniversary.

"KotOR III is a myth!"

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #48
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
The Source wrote:
"KotOR III is a myth!"

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #49
sayoko
Rookie

@The Source
Yeah well as i said its a good point i was kinda unimpressed by the 30th anniversy aswell, iam from germany and the only thing i noticed was that some english novels are about to get translated and some older books like shadow┤s of the empire got republished since they were sold out for some time.

What iam really looking forward to tho is the animated comic serious that was announced for august i just hope i get a chance to see the episodes and the movie. I wouldnt be to happy if i had to wait month to see sth of it here in oversea.

But well my hopes are up there are plenty of rumours whats goin on atm not only with KotOR but other sw games, i for my part cannot imagine that GL suddenly stoped to extend the galaxy. Mby they are indeed just letting us wait so that we are totally starving and storm the markets when they release a new sw game:-).
Could be possible that we will see some sweet announcements when the anmiated and live series are announced to hype it even more.
sayoko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #50
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Source
"KotOR III is a myth!"
I would have to disagree. KotOR III does exist. In potentia.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #51
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker

They won't be able to prove that real, however.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #52
psand
Rookie

I am discouraged that there hasn't been a Kotor 3 made. I loved the first two games and have wanted a third one for a long time like everyone else. I don't understand why LA has not made this game with the first two being so successful. It seems to me that the fan interest in this game is still strong as well.
I went to a Gamestop the other day and the guy there told me Kotor 3 was in the works, he heard that in some video game conference or something. I was excited until I came to the forums and found nothing mentioned here at all about this. Guess he was misinformed.
psand is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #53
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Well. Jim Ward had recently stepped down as LusacArts President (he was the company's leader since 2004) wich gives us all a great hope that the new president will make better decisions, in example starting the development of Kotor 3
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #54
HIGH ON PIE 14
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharen Trawn
Well. Jim Ward had recently stepped down as LusacArts President (he was the company's leader since 2004) wich gives us all a great hope that the new president will make better decisions, in example starting the development of Kotor 3

Well this gives me some new hope at least. He was president from 2004-2008 huh? Those are all the years we've been waiting for kotor three to be announced. Maybe this new guy will do things right. KOTOR3: A New Hope - just like the movies.

Lucas Arts on development of K3: Crushing your hopes and dreams since 2004!

@psand: exactly. Its not like the kotor fanbase is dying. If anything it keeps getting bigger. Thie first two made loads of money, probly more than whatever they are developing now. (incidently I dont know what they are developing at the momont so correct me if I am wrong here). Next time u go to game stop, you should ask that guy what conference this was. It is most probably a rumor with no real proof but it could not hurt to check.

@Ctrl_Alt_Del: that picture says it all. Almost fell out of my seat from laughing when I saw it

Viva La Resistance!

Last edited by HIGH ON PIE 14; 02-24-2008 at 04:21 PM.
HIGH ON PIE 14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #55
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl_Alt_Del
They won't be able to prove that real, however.
Last episode I think Adam and Jamie decided it was "Plausible". They're thinking of revisiting the KIII myth after complaints from fans who think it should be proven, however...
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #56
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

More "great" news:

Quote:
The result looked nearly as realistic as the dialogue scenes in Mass Effect, the recent sci-fi game from BioWare, developer of the celebrated Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series. Ironically, The Force Unleashed almost was a third KOTOR game. Though Blackman never mentioned the forthcoming BioWare/LucasArts mystery project, he did say that during the conceptual stage, he and his team had considered setting their next project in the KOTOR universe. They had also considered making a smuggling game centered around a Han Solo-like character and even an action game with a Wookie protagonist.

Gamespot.com
Full article here -> click

Looks like we'll be getting bad Kotor3 news every week now. Christ!

Thread for that news already exists here

EDIT: sorry then

Last edited by Sharen Trawn; 02-26-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #57
kotorfan84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoko
I see no reason why it should be a problem that some years passed since the release of TSL, i mean hello last Rambo came out like how many years ago?, same goes for other movies and games.

And i think there is a reason why for example the KotOR Comic series is set BEFORE the happenings of KotOR. The series itself is another point why i think a K3 is likely to come sooner or later, the comic series is a good way to keep old fans of this era on track and to get new people interested in this era of star wars.

Or like Vader would say: I find your lack of faith disturbing!
Personally I don't know if they will make a kotor 3, but Rambo is a bad example. Like Rocky, the Rambo movies ran their course in the 80s. They stopped making sequels cause intrest was low and some 20 years later Stallone and some production company figured they could possibly hit gold one last time (I don't think either movie did too well, not sure though)

I'd much rather Bioware do a Kotor III than Obsidian, after all they Kotor 2 just used the kotor 1 engine and added a few things (granted I thought the additions were great). If they can use the dialog format from Mass Effect that would be great.
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
LukeDavis93
Rookie

well here is something that pisses me off: they all know we want a 3rd game and they know that the first 2 games made them alot of money, so why in the hell wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"
LukeDavis93 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #59
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I think with 360, and PS3 finally out, Lucasarts/film etc scrapped K3 and went for a whole new game with TFU, a sequel to 2 old gen games probably isn't the best showcase for 3 new technologies and the 30th anniversary, plus, with Lucas' involvement, and his current "between III-IV love affair" KotOR had no chance.

maybe the MMO will be Old Republic based, if its even Star Wars...

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 AM   #60
JinSarigit
Rookie

Which is really a shame since KOTOR III would be a much welcomed release, i think

"We are not tricksters.
We are ambassadors of peace and justice."
―Ferus Olin
JinSarigit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #61
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
LukeDavis93 wrote:
"What would Jesus do?"
Add the 'walk over water' power to the new Kotor game ...although adding the diciple (or 12 of them) for cameo's is possible too

Without the humor, you are absolutely right. There is no reason NOT to make it. It has proven to make money (one of LA's key points) and even popular enough to spawn it's own comic series and action figures.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #62
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Assassin's Creed 4
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDavis93
they all know we want a 3rd game and they know that the first 2 games made them alot of money, so why in the hell wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"
You're right. Jesus would turn a quick buck in a heartbeat.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #63
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeDavis93
so why wouldnt they make one, if they did they would be doing both us and themselves a favor. so they should ask themselves "What would Jesus do?"
Jesus would probably tell us to get off our tushies and away from the computer screen, quit worrying about if there'll be a Kotor 3 or not, and tell us to go do some good in the world for people less fortunate than us.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #64
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Borderlands
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Jesus would probably tell us to get off our tushies and away from the computer screen, quit worrying about if there'll be a Kotor 3 or not, and tell us to go do some good in the world for people less fortunate than us.
Ooh snap.

Good point, though.

Inyri is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #65
Greedo38
Lurker

Feature this boys and girls, in hollywood, when a production company wants to buy up a property, usually a book, there's prolly gonna be some competition. So some studios try to sweeten the pot with non-financial favors, things that no one else will give.

Producer A says that he'll give you a cool million to sell and help script your book
Producer B says that he'll give you an uncool 100K, and he'll make "your book" the one that never made the NYT best-seller list, your baby.

If your agent can wrangle B up to 500, how could you say no? As I understand it, the same sci/fi author who penned the KOTOR games also wrote Mass Effect. Look it up gang.

In the opinion of this humble young man a deal was cut, three KOTORs for at least one ME. Both games got stymied with the conversion to next gen, and prehaps unfortunately for us, ME was a hit. With the man behind both games already commited to another 2 ME's, can we really expect another KOTOR?

Obviously, the guy has to be a big SW fan, but with ME he's #1. He get's to create his own world, albeit a strikingly similar world to SW. But, it's his. . .seems pretty hard to put the next two installments of your pet project on the back burner to work on someone else's.

I would wager that LA wants this game as much as we do, they just want the right people on board. Hopefully, it's just a matter of finding them or haggling on a price to lay off ME and oversee our pet project.
Greedo38 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #66
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedo38
Obviously, the guy has to be a big SW fan, but with ME he's #1. He get's to create his own world, albeit a strikingly similar world to SW. But, it's his. . .seems pretty hard to put the next two installments of your pet project on the back burner to work on someone else's.
Yeah I'd wager that ME was more his pet than KotOR. He may like SW, but the constraints on writing and having LA look through the script, and say, "You can't have them there. We have another plan for that." It would keep his hands tied.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #67
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
You're right. Jesus would turn a quick buck in a heartbeat.

Jesus would probably use a pink lightsaber, and force b*tchslap HK47 for speaking dirty words in front of the kids...

What I mean is, EA is not trustworthy, ignore them.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #68
mio780308
Lurker

maybe..
if the rumors grow big enough..
there will be a real kotor3

sorry about the poor English
I'm a new player from Taiwan...
mio780308 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #69
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
welcome mio780308!

Maybe not KotOR, but I hope its at least Star Wars

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #70
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Many peeps call me Jezus

I say I demand K3 !

No offense to people who deeply believe in Jesus and God.
I find it a great complement. After all he setup a call to care for each other no matter what.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #71
Darth Xander
Riding Pterodactyls

Current Game: Star Wars KOTOR II
I still won't give up hope just yet!

Darth Xander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #72
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Personally, I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the development of KotOR3.

I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because, let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay isn't as current, flashy or lucrative as these newer, next-gen, graphically superior games that are starting to infest the market, no matter how much some of us love to play them.

I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level. However, LucasArts will have to push that button and they could care less.

LA is content to sit back and observe the success of Force Unleashed and a few others before makng any type of decision on the future of KotOR.
...and why wouldn't they?

My question is this:
Would anyone here be opposed to the upgrading of KotOR?
What I mean is, would anyone here feel as strong about it if they were to change the format?

I know I would. But that's just me. Someone asked me if I thought a KotOR game, set like MassEffect, would be better.
After I helped him up, I told him NO! They shouldn't change a thing.

But, now I'm not as sure as I once was. Times are a changin' and KotOR 3, if created, must also evolve.

The chances of KotOR 3 being exactly like 1 and 2 are very slim.

One thing's for sure though. We won't hear a peep about it until well after the stain of Force Unleashed has set in.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #73
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because, let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay...
Isn't it 20?

Quote:
I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level.
They've said more than once that they're not interested.

Quote:
My question is this:
What I mean is, would anyone here feel as strong about it if they were to change the format?
Not me.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #74
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
One thing's for sure though. We won't hear a peep about it until well after the stain of Force Unleashed has set in.
Most assuredly.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #75
Paddythegreat
Rookie

Its a shame quality doesnt matter to LA, they seem to want to release updated click and kill games just to get as many ''i love star wars fanbois'' on board. Dont get me wrong, im a fanboi but im not ognna play crap games bacause they are star wars. Bring back the quality, bring back kotor!!!
Paddythegreat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 AM   #76
Sgt. Strike
Rookie

One more thing to add to all of this. It is possible that LA, and George, is preparing for the next Star Wars movie, and KOTOR III was put on the back burners, for the moment.

When everything else fails, CHEAT!
Sgt. Strike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #77
Rev7
I'm a Mage

Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Very true...
Quote:
But, now I'm not as sure as I once was. Times are a changin' and KotOR 3, if created, must also evolve.

I must say that I agree with you Cygnus. Video game technology is just getting better every day; will most likely continue to get more advanced...

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 03-29-2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #78
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:

Oh, the graphics are, with 100% of assurance, bound to be upgraded.

About the system, I'm not as sure. IMO, d20 is an aging system that has no place on modern RPGs. While that doesn't mean that the false-real-time shouldn't be implemented, a better system would be welcome.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #79
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I would hope that they stick with the D20 system, just for continuity's sake - after all, over half of the people who would buy KOTOR3 would be people who have played the first two - so the system would be familiar - it could alienate too many fans if they implemented too many changes.

It's not the best system in the world (digitally or on paper) but those of who know it like it. That said, it does allow for a great degree of customisation - none of my characters have ever been the same.

Although, I do agree that it could 'streamlined' a bit, but I would like it to stick with D20, just to complete the 'trilogy'.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #80
kotorfan84
Rookie

Quote:
Personally, I think they're stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the development of KotOR3.

I believe they are very hesitant to follow the same path as the first two because, let's face it, that D-10, turn based gameplay isn't as current, flashy or lucrative as these newer, next-gen, graphically superior games that are starting to infest the market, no matter how much some of us love to play them.

I don't think Bioware would mind one bit taking KotOR to the next level. However, LucasArts will have to push that button and they could care less.

LA is content to sit back and observe the success of Force Unleashed and a few others before makng any type of decision on the future of KotOR.
...and why wouldn't they?

My question is this:

I know I would. But that's just me. Someone asked me if I thought a KotOR game, set like MassEffect, would be better.
After I helped him up, I told him NO! They shouldn't change a thing.

I'd be cool with it as long as it's ot a hack n' slash game
kotorfan84 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > EA Denies Rumors of KotOR3 in the works