lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: It's not the years. It's the mileage
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #41
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino View Post
Meh, so you didn't like the new Indy, more copies for me to buy.

I got exactly what I expected from an Indy film. Even if it was new, about Russians, Crystal Skulls, and Extra-dimensional beings.
QFT, Sithy. Q. F. T. The new movie is great fun and definitely Indy.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #42
MrWally
Gunslinger

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sitherino View Post
How are aliens any different than religious mumbo-jumbo?
I agree with you completely for the most part and I thoroughly enjoyed the film, but I have to say that aliens are completely different than religious artifacts. Religious artifacts used in the original trilogy are founded not only on actual historical texts, but they are held in high regard by millions, if not billions, of people around the world. It didn't seem quite the same to me for them to make up an entirely new concept that totally diverged from the feel of the original series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
MrWally eats fresh babies in order to maintain his unnatural level of talent.
MrWally is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #43
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
At least the religious or mystical business in the originals had context.
spoiler:
The aliens in this movie were completely arbitrary, given no explanation, given no purpose. Why were the alien skeletons in those ruins? Why was one skull missing from the set? How come reattaching the skull made the skeletons all join together into a single fleshy alien? Why would they give the person who returned the skull a gift that makes your eyes burst into flames? How come the ants avoid the skull? Why is it "magnetic" for non magnetic metals, but only if it isn't covered by a bag? How do they know that they're extra-dimensional aliens and not from space? I could go on here, and that's just the stuff that directly relates to the skull and the aliens. I don't mind that it isn't realistic, but they never gave any kind of explanation for ANY of it. The rest of the movie fares no better.

I don't really care if you like it or not, but I do love how important it is to insult people who dislike a movie that you like.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #44
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Why would the Ark of the Covenant melt people's faces? : P

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #45
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

While not given an explicit reason, the entire movie centers around the idea that the Ark is an artifact of great power, and Indiana knows that they need to keep their eyes closed, and not look at it no matter what. There is at least an indication of understanding, and attempt to explain it without actually explaining it.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #46
IG-64

We're kinda going all over the place with the spoilers here, but I'll use a spoiler tag anyway.

My review:
spoiler:

Just got back from seeing it. First of all, this movie had bad parts. However, unlike some people, I have the ability to ignore these parts and enjoy the good stuff. In fact, watching my sister immediately say the whole movie was lame, start bashing George Lucas, and list the parts she didn't like as soon as she left the theater, was possibly more cringe-worthy than anything in the movie itself. What annoys me more is the attitude that, because I enjoyed the movie, I maybe was even too ignorant to notice the fact that some things were perhaps not exactly physically possible, or that the plot didn't have that clear of a focus some of the time, or that there were gratuitous CG prairie dogs, or that there were some bad lines, or a scene where the kid and monkeys were swinging through trees like Tarzan, or that there were more shots to the nads than should be allowed in an above-G movie, or that-- screw it, you get the picture. But what did I just say? I said I enjoyed the movie. I enjoyed it because it was fun, and cool, and even some parts had some of that classic-y action-y feel I haven't gotten from a movie in a long time. I liked the characters, and the action, and the visuals. And maybe it didn't make a lot of sense, but a link between the crystal skulls, mayans, nazca lines, el derado, and aliens? Hey, why the hell not?
As soon as I saw that yes, they went there, I went with it. Which is why I didn't cringe when the flying saucer came out of the ground. In fact, I thought that was actually pretty neat. Why? Because if you're going to do aliens, don't make up some half-assed alien crap; do aliens, with long heads, and big eyes, and flying saucers. To me, that made it so much more acceptable, because it's the mystery I'm familiar with. And I liked the nazca lines, and the room with the crystal skeletons, and the giant killer ants, and all of that stuff that I thought was fun and neat. Maybe they did go too far when the CG alien came alive and killed Cate Blanchett, but you know what? I can live with it, and I won't let that ruin the rest of it for me. Because the rest of it was good.
It wasn't a masterpiece. I went in expecting something better than temple of doom, but not as good as the last crusade or raiders of the lost ark, and that's exactly what I got. I knew it wasn't going to reach the mystique of those 2 movies that I like so much, but that's because they were just different. They're still old-school and creepy and awesome and badass (and it would take a whole 'nother couple of reviews to explain why.) I knew the new movie had to do something like aliens and Mayans and all of that stuff, because what else is left? When you think about it, those are legitimate mysteries too. Yes, even the aliens. But all of that still didn't matter to me, because it's Indiana Jones, of course its going to be a good experience regardless. So instead of being critical or comparing, I sat back and enjoyed myself, and I'm glad I did.
IG-64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #47
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET Warrior View Post
At least the religious or mystical business in the originals had context.
spoiler:
The aliens in this movie were completely arbitrary, given no explanation, given no purpose. Why were the alien skeletons in those ruins? Why was one skull missing from the set? How come reattaching the skull made the skeletons all join together into a single fleshy alien? Why would they give the person who returned the skull a gift that makes your eyes burst into flames? How come the ants avoid the skull? Why is it "magnetic" for non magnetic metals, but only if it isn't covered by a bag? How do they know that they're extra-dimensional aliens and not from space? I could go on here, and that's just the stuff that directly relates to the skull and the aliens. I don't mind that it isn't realistic, but they never gave any kind of explanation for ANY of it. The rest of the movie fares no better.

I don't really care if you like it or not, but I do love how important it is to insult people who dislike a movie that you like.
Or maybe you don't know about the Crystal Skulls and that the alien theory is it's most popular explanation. Hence the movie having aliens.

Anyway, yes religion has a lot of believers, but in all honesty I bet there are as many people that believe in aliens as there are people that believe in Jesus.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with what makes a good movie. Wah, so it had aliens. It could have been worse, they could have used the gays. Those are popular in the media aren't they?
And they do like crystals, remember Liberace? I bet if he was goth, he'd have a bunch of Crystal Skulls.

As well, by the look of the things some people didn't understand. Apparently you didn't pay attention.
I was intoxicated as all hell and was able to comprehend the story. Extra-dimensional beings rather than your ordinary interstellar travelers. The secrets about the skull and the flame burst were all in the readings of the legend. If anything I'd say the riddles and puzzles in the movie were more challenging than the first, or at least that's what I gather by the people saying there were plotholes where there was explanation

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”

Last edited by El Sitherino; 05-29-2008 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Now with extra sarcasm.
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 03:32 AM   #48
Black Knight of Keno
Darth Tepe of today

Roleplayer 
Sithy, dude, spoiler tags have been invented. As the thread starter I have to remind you that there may still be people around who haven't seen the movie who are checking this thread while wanting to stay pristine. That goes for the rest of yous as well.

As for the movie, I went to see it yesterday and I thought it was quite good. It was completely unnecessary to uncover the Indy hat and whip from naphthalene, but now that they did, they didn't botch it completely. Despite the aged Harrison Ford and the forcing of some characters into the storyline without really any reason, it still felt like an Indianan Jones movie. And even if you didn't like it, I bet it still beats the original rumored story where Natalie Portman is Indy's daughter and taking Harrison's place in the story -shudder-

"Our posturings, our imagined self-importance,
the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe,
are challenged by this point of pale light.
Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
"

- Carl Sagan
Black Knight of Keno is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #49
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
Overall I really liked it. i know a lot of people don't like the sci-fi aspect of the film. but it represents the period of time of which it is set. they had to set it in a time which is believably for Harrison Ford's age. They also needed something to replace the Nazis and cold-war Russians are the obviously choice. So the late 40s is really the only time they could use. And at that time, just after the Roswell incident, Sci-fi was very much in the public eye.

the tarzan bit was a bit silly though.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #50
Darth Groovy
The Dapper Zabrak

Current Game: Awaiting Greatness from PS4!
10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member LucasCast staff 
Indianna Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Once again, this is being posted from the eyes of the average movie goer, I am not a professional critic.

Despite Harrison Ford's imminent old age, it is just too damn hard not to like this latest installment of the Indiana Jones saga.

I have to be careful in this review as that it is too hard to spoil. So for that reason, I must be brief. I had heard a great deal of yocals pan this movie, but I chose the critic's take. And it was pretty hard to keep me away from this movie as Indiana Jones has become synonymous with star wars as a right to my childhood heroes. I had heard many rumors over the years about various script re-writes and what not. The finished product came out nicely. Happily all of the elements that made the last three movies are fully in tact. The time line of this movie pits Indy in Roswell New Mexico during the late 50's. We are in the hight of the cold war, and the red menace. Cate Blanchett, presents a remarkable and fun roll as the Russian Villian Irina Spalko. Hot on the trail of a mythical crystal skull which has some certain extraordinary powers. Due to spoilers, I will not elaborate on this. Indy is found captive by said russians, after a daring escape, Shia LaBeouf (Mutt Williams) brings him back into the fold. We are told that Indy spent some time in WWII fighting the Nazis. Indy is also facing the end of his tenure as professor of archeology. Mutt Williams brings him back into the fold, and it is not long where Indy reunites with Karen Allen (aka Marion Ravenwood) and looks DAMN good for her age. We are also following a college who is portrayed by John Hurt as "OX" Oxley who seems to know more about the mystery of the Crystal Skull than anybody. All of these people are fun to watch. Jones acknowledges his old age to Shia LaBeouf but that does not stop him from getting into several fist fights and car chases that made the series so popular. Another thing that made the last film so well was it's attention to detail on the time line. This movie also captures that well. Watching Karen Allen and Ford together again after Raiders is a real treat. But this film, makes it hard for you to hate the villian as Cate Blanchett is just so damn good at what she does. The movie is a 2 hour spectical of eye candy, humor, and action. There is literally nothing missing from this latest episode of Indiana Jones other than, I personally wanted to see John Rhys-Davies reprise his roll as Sallah, but gladly the CGI, and story are not drowned by CGI. All the charm of any Indy movie is here. Far off lands, fancy discoveries, token chases and fist fights....all are here. And of course without spoiling the movie. There is the big reveal at the end which did not leave me disappointed at all. It is every bit as fun as all of the previous Indy movies and should not be missed by any fan of the series. I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars for being able to pull it off as nicely as they did. All those yocals are crazy....Indy still rules!
Darth Groovy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #51
Pie™
A peppermint nightmare.

LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Ooops...

:P

Pondering the mystery of rainbows, UFOs, and ****ing magnets.
Pie™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #52
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

In b4 da merge.

This movie was junk. Enjoyable junk, but junk.

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #53
PR-0927
Formerly Majin Revan

Current Game: BF3
So I had never seen any Indiana Jones until the end of last week and the rest of this weekend (watched the first three). It's pretty sad, I know...

Spoilers throughout the next few paragraphs, so...yeah, spoiler tags.

spoiler:
Anyways, I just saw the newest one yesterday. I liked it. I really did. I thought it was absolutely humorous like the last three, and unlike most, I ENJOY the concept of extraterrestrial or extradimensional beings.

Maybe it's just because I'm fascinated by a possibility for life outside of Earth, but I love the concept of aliens coming to Earth (especially when they do very kind things such as teaching irrigation and farming techniques - how helpful!). I tend to enjoy all things alien, and hope there are aliens, even if they do destroy humanity or Earth.

I also found myself seeing that the story presented "COULD" actually be believable - the whole alien thing actually "COULD" happen. Makes sense for that civilization being all advanced and all, LOL.

All hail Harrison Ford.

- PR-0927

- Former Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Star Wars: Battlefront II modder. Used to go by the name "Majin Revan."
PR-0927 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #54
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Indy's still Indy after all these years. Yes, it has its share of "Yeah, that would SO happen in real life..." moments, but it still packs more entertainment than 99% of movies that come out nowadays. IMHO, if you'd rather concentrate on the fact that the windshield and machine gun on the hood of the Good Guys' amphib-o-jeep keep popping in and out of existence during the jungle car chase than just enjoy the chase scene in all its goofy glory, you've gone to the wrong movie. That being said, with Harrison Ford's age, it's a lot harder than it used to be to suspend your disbelief, especially when we're asked to swallow:
spoiler:
a) Indy going toe-to-toe with a Russian commando-type who's about thirty years younger, six inches taller and about 75 pounds heavier. Trading punch after punch with this guy for more than about 1 second...? Riiiiiiiiight...

b) I'm sorry, but the fridge thing was just too far out there. I mean, c'mon...

c) The FBI is sweating Indy and his University Dean about possible commie connections, while failing to notice the Russian Spies hanging around the same campus. Who the hell runs that FBI Field Office, Chief Wiggum?

But I can forgive those things just for having Karen Allen back in this one. Some of the old magic, right there. And I liked the ending at least...
spoiler:
She was BAD! Okay?! BAD! The nice-guy alien(s) weren't going to let the BAD person get the superpowers, okay?! Get it?!
All in all, it's a shade down from the old trilogy simply for the fact that now everyone in the movie acts like they know they're in an adventure movie and they're mugging to the camera a bit, but at its core, it's still an Indiana Jones movie and worth seeing on the big screen, unlike the other 99.999% of movies made since the last one.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Yoda’s Swamp > It's not the years. It's the mileage

Tags
crystal skull, indiana jones, movie