lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Most Memorable Video Game Moments (Spoilers abound!)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #41
Titanius Anglesmith
Kingslayer

Dark Forces 2
- The opening cutscene, especially, but all of them are memorable.
- Getting a lightsaber, and being able to use one in a game for the first time.

Oblivion
- The opening sequence. You gotta love ol' Jean Luc.
- Seeing the Imperial City, and the rest of the game's sprawling landscape, from the Orange Road just south of Bruma for the first time.
- The final battle at the end of the main quest, especially
spoiler:
the battle between Martin/Akatosh and Mehrunes Dagon.

KotOR
- The destruction of Taris.
- The battle with Malak, and finally being able to shut him up.
- The cheesy celebration on Lehon.

KotOR II
- The battle on Onderon.
- Pretty much everything involving Kreia, especially her speech on Dantooine and the conversation on Malachor.

Crysis
- The tank battle. The physics of this game are just incredible, and combined with stunning visuals and realistic sound effects, this sequence is pretty darn fun.
spoiler:
- The final sequence on the aircraft carrier. It would've been nice if the battle with the alien warship was a little more difficult, even on Delta, but the sheer beauty of it all makes up for it.

Titanius Anglesmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #42
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Forum Veteran Veteran Fan Fic Author LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Jade Empire: Telling Sky that you came back for him. The bug-eyed look on his face was classic! All of Hen-pecked Hou's lines had me in stitches. Also, it was nice to finally have a romance with a conclusion :/

The sun goes down and the sky reddens, pain grows sharp.
light dwindles. Then is evening
when jasmine flowers open, the deluded say.
But evening is the great brightening dawn
when crested cocks crow all through the tall city
and evening is the whole day
for those without their lovers

-Kuruntokai 234, translated by A.K. Ramanujan

[Fic] Shreds of a Dying Belief
Bee Hoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #43
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian

Forum Veteran 
Just finished Jade Empire and the whole having everything click into place during the seconds before the *ouch* part was fantastic, and a lesson to everyone how plot twists should be.

And I agree with Bee, HPH is funneee.
But so is Kang. Also the princes arogance/common sence gave me several "wtf, oh, right, human" moments.

Crysis: crashing a jeep into a heli.

Overlord: yoda V:2.0

The Witcher: quite a few, but spending several minutes before choosing what you think is the "good" choice, and then seeing people butchered because of it.

Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #44
dewayne26
Rookie

i thought of another memorable moment for me

DS KOTOR II: making the two thugs commit suicide

Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #45
JCarter426

Oh, that was a good one. I do that even when I'm LS. Hell, I actually pick Affect Mind just for that.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #46
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon
So what about your favourite moments?
The most memorable one is a series of moments, when I first played Gran Theft Auto 3 on the PS2.

The feeling of freedom was overwhelming at first which had me hooked for a long time, I didn't even bother to do any missions in the beginning. I just loved cruising around with a fast car.

Also, when I first turned level 60 in World of Warcraft (this was of course before the expansion pack). I was at my friends house drinking and got my last XP from a Moonkin in Winterspring. I grinded a lot of them back then.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #47
Jvstice

Revelation from K1. Didn't really surprise me, but emotional impact made it very memorable. Really did feel betrayed for a moment.

Jedi Council in K2, when the council talks about how you were blinded and deafened, and kreia talks about how your eyes were opened for the first time. Gives me chills just about every time.

VTM: Bloodlines - when you play malkavian and meet your old neighbor who wonders if you're her old best friend. You can use dememtation to convince her you are her pet turtle and she appologises for flushing you.

LOTR: when you conquer middle earth with the armies of EVIL.

Jade Empire: The reception you get when you rescue your master Li. Hints were dropped, but it played such that it seemed like the end of the game, and I couldn't believe that they'd end the game on that note. Then the shock to realize that they didn't.

Warcraft 3
When Thrall saves Grom from the demon taint.
WC3:TFT
When the horde has to put Admiral Proudmore's forces down, and how Jaina says she sees why they have to do it.

"If force is the game, the murderer wins over the pickpocket." Ayn Rand

"Justice is the midpoint between being treated unjustly, and treating others unjustly." Aristotle
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #48
Ravnas
Rookie

Planescape Torment's Ending was majestic. Anything with Kreia is awesome. Bioshock was awesome in every way possible. Mass Effect's Final Battle, and finally Zu's sacrifice in Jade Empire.

Regrets are for horseshoes and handbags.
Ravnas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #49
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
The big battle against the One-Eyed Cyclops, and all the women around the football stadium dancin while you fight him, then you can use them as shields, and for the final cutscene, you kick the eye right out of his head and through the rugby goals. Classic.

(Said it before, but though i'd clarify it more, as the qwhole thing was pure class)

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #50
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
- the big plot twist/reveal in Kotor1
- the big plot twist/reveal in Prince of Persia 1 (Sands of Time)
- the ending after the credits of Halo 1
- the intro to Half-Life 1 (it just draws you in like no game before it)
- watching my sister finish Ico, then as the credits end she says, "Wouldn't it be cool if you could play right here?" - and then you actually can!
- any Collosus battle in Shadow of the Collosus
- the ending of Final Fantasy X (really touching...)
- Warcraft 3 when Arthas says hi to his dad...
- Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne ending
- setting fire to an entire house in The Sims

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #51
Seamhainn
Forumite

KotOR 1 (are there other games?): Confronting Bastila on the Starforge!!! (As one who sticks with his dicission I had to kill her in my very first playthrough. That got me somehow.

KotOR 2: When Kraya tells you what will happen with your companions at the end of the game (lightside).
Seamhainn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #52
JCarter426

KOTOR 2: Kreia's lecture about your decision to give money to or threaten to kill the beggar on Nar Shaddaa.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #53
Corinthian
Banned

Yeah, that was memorable in a similar sense to thumbscrews. But I thought we were putting down scenes that weren't incredibly irritating?

Starcraft: The raid on the Jacobs Installation was an epic mission, particularly since this is where you first get your real grasp of the Zerg.

Chrono Trigger: The Day of Lavos Recording.

MechWarrior Series: This is one game where no particular sequence stands out because it's just so epic. MECHS clashing in a way that doesn't involve rocket fists or giant laser swords!

System Shock: "L-L-L-Look at you, H-Hacker, a p-pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

System Shock II: SHODAN's first appearance.
Corinthian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #54
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian
Yeah, that was memorable in a similar sense to thumbscrews. But I thought we were putting down scenes that weren't incredibly irritating?
Speak for yourself.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:57 AM   #55
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Quote:
One man's meat, another man's poison:/ Personally, I found that scene quite thought provoking.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #56
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
KOTOR 2: Kreia's lecture about your decision to give money to or threaten to kill the beggar on Nar Shaddaa.
That scene really made me think, I couldn't sleep most of that night just thinkin about that scene. Really thought-provoking.

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #57
Pavlos
Scruffy Englishman

Current Game: Viking Warrior Poets
I think the reason why Corinthian has a problem with it is because regardless of whether or not the scene made you think, it's badly designed; it violates the agency of the player.

You have no "Walk away" or "I'm sorry but I can't give you anything" option, only the choice between nice and nasty. You have three choices:

1. Of course. Here, take five credits.
2. I have no credits, but here's some survival rations I carry with me.
3. Get out of here before I kill you.

That's it. To force a player into a situation like this takes you out of the game because it removes the element of interactivity we need to stop a video game being a film which you click on occasionally.

Yes it's nice to be faced with the consequences of your actions, yes it helps develop the themes of the game, and yes it's well written, but it doesn't offer the choice to ignore the beggar.

StarWarsKnights.com -- News and features will be returning shortly...

I 'gin to be a-weary of the sun,
And wish the estate o' the world were now undone.
Pavlos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 AM   #58
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

^^ And that is a much nicer and more specific way of putting things Point well made!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #59
JCarter426

That's one of the points of the game, though. Sometimes you only have two options to choose from (i.e. war or surrender).

Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #60
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos
I think the reason why Corinthian has a problem with it is because regardless of whether or not the scene made you think, it's badly designed; it violates the agency of the player.

You have no "Walk away" or "I'm sorry but I can't give you anything" option, only the choice between nice and nasty. You have three choices:

1. Of course. Here, take five credits.
2. I have no credits, but here's some survival rations I carry with me.
3. Get out of here before I kill you.

That's it. To force a player into a situation like this takes you out of the game because it removes the element of interactivity we need to stop a video game being a film which you click on occasionally.

Yes it's nice to be faced with the consequences of your actions, yes it helps develop the themes of the game, and yes it's well written, but it doesn't offer the choice to ignore the beggar.
As far as I know, that is the only time in tthe wole game that unfolds like that. The other time, you can walk out of it and Kriea won't say anything, unless it was very drastic, like kiling a beggar.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #61
Corinthian
Banned

That isn't one of the situations! If they want to make a point. make it in a situation where taking a third choice is obvious. Besides, I disliked Kreia so much, mainly due to the fact that she was not only Dark Side but so obvious about it that I wondered why on Earth Dark Side Exile OR Light Side Exile bothered keeping her around - she's ugly, not useful in combat with a severed hand, certainly less useful than Handmaiden and Visas, and she's preachy. It's like having your Mom follow you around on intergalactic adventures except evil.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #62
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
It's like having your Mom follow you around on intergalactic adventures except evil.
You mean yours isn't?
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #63
Corinthian
Banned

TSL made a critical error. When I played Knights of the Old Republic, I rarely took Bastila with me when I was planning on going ape. It made the game harder, but I didn't have to listen to her scold me. I took HK-47 and Canderous instead, or maybe Jolee - he might scold me, but his amusing anecdotes more than made up for it.

TSL, on the other hand, decided you needed a constant connection to someone who could tell you what a bad boy you're being, and instead of making it a hot British-sounding chick, they made it an old woman who makes Canderous look like Saint Nick in terms of friendliness. And not only that, she's opposed to not only total, pointless evil, but also GOOD. So now you've got no better than a 66% chance in most conversations of getting scolded by Kreia, not to mention whoever else is in your party's opinion on the matter.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #64
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: Dragon Age: Origins
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
I can see your point Corinthian. Though I've only played TSL once, I'd prefer having the option of leaving Kreia behind. I think her weighty dialog is enough of a selling factor to those who want it.

But we're getting pretty far off topic.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #65
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_man
As far as I know, that is the only time in tthe wole game that unfolds like that. The other time, you can walk out of it and Kriea won't say anything, unless it was very drastic, like kiling a beggar.
Yeah, that's what I thought. And really, did K1 ever give any other choice? As I recall, the only three options I ever got in K1 were LS, DS, and very DS. Only difference is that in K2, someone actually makes you question your decision.

Quote:
I wondered why on Earth Dark Side Exile OR Light Side Exile bothered keeping her around - she's ugly, not useful in combat with a severed hand, certainly less useful than Handmaiden and Visas, and she's preachy.
There are a dozen reasons why the Exile needed Kreia. One, if anything happened to Kreia, the Exile would die. If your life depended on someone else, wouldn't you want to keep them close, whether or not they were preachy? Kreia clearly knew more than she was letting on, so that's another reason. Kreia was able to help the Exile regain her connection to the Force--that's a big one. I could go on, but I think you get the point. And Kreia isn't entirely useless. The Force Chain ability and extra XP come in handy.

Quote:
It's like having your Mom follow you around on intergalactic adventures except evil.
Just look through the dialogue files with KT and you'll understand why that is. For instance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreia
{Like a stern mother lecturing on pregnancy}I hope your thoughts in this matter are clear. In saving her, you may destroy yourself.
But, to get back on topic...

Good moment in K1: the Ebon Hawk escaping Taris. Probably my favorite moment in the game.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #66
Corinthian
Banned

JCarter, you KILL her. That whole "Force Bond would kill either of us" is most likely a big fat wad of BS to prevent you from spacing her like the worthless Space Hag she is.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #67
JCarter426

Never is it implied that Kreia was lying about that. My understanding is that Kreia wanted the Exile to stop relying on those bonds (this is what she means by "I want you to feel the Force again"). And the Exile did, eventually, when she killed Kreia.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #68
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Don't get me wrong, she did annoy me, but she also did bring up some interesting points. She is *the* most interesting Star Wars characters which I have ever encountered. And on topic, the moment that she told me of her dream to kill the Force had me absolutely boggled!:P Awesome, in a scary sort of way.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #69
JD-Rom
Rookie

Half-Life 2:
The area before the Citadel where you fight through an entire ruin of a city block that's in the heat of a battle between Rebels and the Scanners, Metrocops, Combine Soldiers, Combine Elites, Gunships (I think), and Striders. SOOOO many Striders with disintegrating Dark Energy cannons... O_O
KOTOR:
The Revelation, of course.
Also, decimating Malak's ENTIRE Star Forge army. Pfft, "elite troopers" and "advanced battle droids" my--Oh, and the final duel between you and Malak.
TES4 OblIVion:
The final battle of the main quest, of course.
spoiler:
ZOMG CHARIZARD VS GORO

Last edited by JD-Rom; 04-12-2008 at 07:52 AM.
JD-Rom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #70
Corinthian
Banned

To indulge the topic, the sequence directly after the nuclear detonation in Call of Duty IV. I wouldn't say I LIKED the scene, but it's rather indelibly etched in my memory, much like Kreia.

She WAS an interesting character, but then again, so is Lord Littlefinger, but I still hate them both. Maybe part of that has to do with the fact that you have no choice but to play her little game despite the fact that rounding up the Jedi Masters is not exactly something that had any real purpose and in fact only served to get all three of them killed. The whole game is an Idiot Plot.

Edit tk102: Right that's enough of Kreia for this thread. Please use the Telos Tourist Bureau forum for further discusion regarding TSL. Further posts on the subject will be snipped.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #71
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

The final level in Bounty Hunter. Just so many enemies,
spoiler:
all ending in a battle between Jango and a dark jedi

Old 04-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #72
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Well I purchased BioShock after reading some of your reviews (partial Corinthianís, kind of like the old Life cereal, except instead of Mikey substituted Corinthianís name).

Have to go with the ending as being a memorable moment for me. FPS is not my usual type of games, but BioShock would make my top ten game of all-time. I refused to sacrifice the innocent and the ending was very satisfying, but also disturbing. I had the feeling of doom until the innocents saved me.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #73
Bee Hoon
ngom ngom ngom

Oh, I forgot the end of FFX! I'm ashamed to admit that I actually cried (I'm such a sucker for love stories), but it really got under my skin. Then again, I might have been shedding tears for the hours I spent trying unsuccessfully to unlock Tidus' ultimate weapon:/

I'll never forget Selphie's intro in FFVIII. She's such a klutz, but oh so adorable.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #74
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Hah, that damn chocobo race got you too, huh Bee? I got through that stupid thing through sheer determination and lots of swearing. Have you tried dodging 200 lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains for Lulu's Sigil? If that isn't an exercise in stretching your tolerance to the limit, then I don't know what is.

Come to think of it, finally dodging that last bolt was pretty memorable for me, as I actually started cheering for about five minutes before remembering to hit a save point as quickly as I could. xD

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #75
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
The following are what I consider memorable moments of video games I own/have played.

KotOR- The revelation scene, killing the "original meatbag" on the Star Forge, DS/LS celebration and Admiral Karath's death.

KotOR II: The Sith Lords - The trial on Coruscant, Darth Sion's death, Trayus Core module, the hologram from T3 and/or the holocron on Korriban.

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #76
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine
Hah, that damn chocobo race got you too, huh Bee? I got through that stupid thing through sheer determination and lots of swearing. Have you tried dodging 200 lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains for Lulu's Sigil? If that isn't an exercise in stretching your tolerance to the limit, then I don't know what is.

Come to think of it, finally dodging that last bolt was pretty memorable for me, as I actually started cheering for about five minutes before remembering to hit a save point as quickly as I could. xD
Quoted for the most absolute truth.

Worse than having a time of 0:00 on the Chocobo race is dodging those damned thunderbolts. How I hated those.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #77
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Hoon
I'll never forget Selphie's intro in FFVIII. She's such a klutz, but oh so adorable.
I should let you hear my Selphie impersonation some time.

But yes, that scene is forever emblazoned on my memory. Not every game do you see a girl fall head over heels down a rocky outcrop while wearing a mini-skirt and not actually see anything... if y'know what I mean...

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #78
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Several spots in the Splinter Cell games, such as sneaking into a foriegn Defense Ministry and Cyrogenics lab. the first time someone walked right by me in those games is always exhilirating.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #79
BlazingPhoenix
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of Vesperia
KoTOR 1: Seeing the revelation scene
KoTOR 2: Final battle
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Unlocking Sonic!
WarCraft III/TFT(I forget): Killing the Dreadlords
Metroid Prime 3: Omega Ridley fight
Half-Life 2: Getting the Gravity Gun
Half-Life 2 Episode 2: Scene before the end credits
Sonic Adventure 2: Playing as Super Sonic and Super Shadow.
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: Finding out who Tetra's true identity and fighting Ganondorf.
BlazingPhoenix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #80
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPhoenix
KoTOR 1: Seeing the revelation scene
KoTOR 2: Final battle
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Unlocking Sonic!
Metroid Prime 3: Omega Ridley fight
Half-Life 2: Getting the Gravity Gun
Half-Life 2 Episode 2: Scene before the end credits
Sonic Adventure 2: Playing as Super Sonic and Super Shadow.
Totally forgot all those, those bring me back. THe SA2 one was the best, but SSBB was good.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Most Memorable Video Game Moments (Spoilers abound!)