lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The alignment system - Good/Evil and Law/Chaos?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-22-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Mod note: Conversation split from this modding thread, since it evolved in a direction that has little to do with the original modding question. ~M


Actually IMHO the D&D alignment system is not really applicable to the Star Wars universe... Star Wars is not about Order (Law) or Chaos, it is purely about Good and Evil.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Well, I'd disagree. K2 isn't about good and evil at all. I'm not 100% familiar with the system, but wouldn't characters like Canderous and G0-T0 be "lawful evil", while HK would be "chaotic evil", Kreia "chaotic neutral (or, dare I say, good)"?


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #3
Robespierre
Junior Member
 
Robespierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 493
That's why I thought the definition of Canderous as "evil' was a bit...arbitrary. As HK-47 says "While Mandalore is effective at killing, he seems to derive little sport from it" - he doesn't kill for the fun of it, like HK.

I would say that Kreia is chaotic neutral. Though for most of the game she is "true neutral", since her true motives remain hidden.

Could you say that Visas was almost chaotic good? Or just neutral evil?



"We must use daring, daring and more daring." - Georges Jacques Danton
Robespierre is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Well, I'd disagree. K2 isn't about good and evil at all.
I strongly suggest you play the game again then... it is all about Good and Evil.

The fact is that George Lucas himself has stated that Star Wars is all about good and evil, as that is what the whole story was based upon, stories of brave heros and imposing villans. K1 and K2 are no different, while K2 is more subtle it is still good vs evil.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
I strongly suggest you play the game again then... it is all about Good and Evil.
I am playing the game again. I'm always replaying the game.

And it's not about good and evil; it's about choosing a side. "Isn't that the same thing?" No.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
Robespierre
Junior Member
 
Robespierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 493
Quote:
And it's not about good and evil; it's about choosing a side. "Isn't that the same thing?" No.
Well it is about good and evil, but its also about the reasons why. The characters in KotOR aren't evil just because they are all anarchists and they aren't all good because they believe in doing "the right thing". I mean look at Kreia - people would argue that she's "evil" even though her intentions weren't just in the goal of total anarchy. But then again HK-47 is evil because he likes being evil. He even says that being nice is repulsive to him.



"We must use daring, daring and more daring." - Georges Jacques Danton
Robespierre is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Eh...I wouldn't say it's "about" good and evil...sure, there are good people and there are evil people, but it's not about good and evil in the sense that the Star Wars movies are about good vs evil.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
I am playing the game again. I'm always replaying the game.

And it's not about good and evil; it's about choosing a side. "Isn't that the same thing?" No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Eh...I wouldn't say it's "about" good and evil...sure, there are good people and there are evil people, but it's not about good and evil in the sense that the Star Wars movies are about good vs evil.
Sorry but you are really missing something then...

Star Wars... all Star Wars is about struggles between good and evil, stammer all you want to the contrary, that is a fact.

Edit: I have it on pretty good authority that the alignment system from D&D was not even on the table for the D20 PnP Star Wars system, because of the universes black and white storylines, and GL's own statements. It is good and evil.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #9
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Say what you will, but K2 wasn't about that at all. There was no fight between good and evil. It was about the Exile reconciling with the past, with her decision to defy the Council and fight the Mandalorians.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 AM   #10
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Say what you will, but K2 wasn't about that at all. There was no fight between good and evil. It was about the Exile reconciling with the past, with her decision to defy the Council and fight the Mandalorians.
It was about Good and Evil and how the Exile's/Revan's decisions actually served one side over the other.

Unless you can provide hard proof to the contrary you are simply spitting in the wind.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
It was about Good and Evil and how the Exile's/Revan's decisions actually served one side over the other.

Unless you can provide hard proof to the contrary you are simply spitting in the wind.
TSL is my favourite SW game as it is alot 'greyer' than pretty much all other SW games, however it is still about Good v Evil; ultimatly despite the game being grey, given you can't get a prestige class unless your either good or bad it would seem it is still about Good v Evil.

While this new alignment system is interesting I think RH is correct in that evil is still evil; if you decide to shoot someone for sheer fun of it, or if you shot them so you could achieve the power you crave, still seems to me to just be evil.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Eagle Racer
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
It was about Good and Evil and how the Exile's/Revan's decisions actually served one side over the other.

Unless you can provide hard proof to the contrary you are simply spitting in the wind.
Um.... I would say the entire conversation with G0T0 on his ship deals with order and chaos. G0T0 isn't interested in the good versus evil battle, he's out to preserve order in the galaxy. He offers you 2000 credits for every system you help stabilize on your journey. This may be more of an aside, but it's still present. To me TSL always stands out among Star Wars story lines, because there is more to it than good versus evil. You have the ever present risk of chaos running in the background. There isn't another stupid, huge cookie cutter war going on as the backdrop. It's a galaxy on the verge of self-destruction. And at the center of it all, you have potentially the most unique force wielder of them all.

Then there is the fact that in both games you can be good and disagree with the views of the Jedi. Just saying these games are about good vs. evil seems to belittle it somewhat. But then again, this game has plenty of the cookie cutter characters from the Star Wars Galaxy. Jedi council behaves exactly the same way as the council in the movies, making all the same blunders and suffering from all the same character flaws. Kriea plays a similar role to the exile to what Palpatine was to Anakin. But in the end you carve your own path and can be independent of both the Jedi and the Sith. Hell, you can tell the council there dead wrong about everything and earn lightside points...

On a side note, I find you last comment could have been put better/nicer given that you are a moderator here.
Eagle Racer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #13
Salzella
areiK
 
Salzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,135
Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Legacy of the Force series isn't black and white. Perhaps not a brilliant precedent, but i would certainly say Jacen Solo qualifies as 'Lawful Evil', Ben Skywalker as 'Chaotic Good'. Plus, no matter what the universe actually is, for those who wish it was otherwise, it would be an excellent way to have a deeper playthrough and characterisation?

i was going to add something else, but i can't remember what it was. humph.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Racer
Um.... I would say the entire conversation with G0T0 on his ship deals with order and chaos. G0T0 isn't interested in the good versus evil battle, he's out to preserve order in the galaxy.
True but G0-T0 is the exception, he isn't the main part of the story, stopping Nihilus is.

Even if the PC is acting out of their own evil intentions, good still triumphs because Nihilus the destroyer of worlds, the unending hunger is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Racer
Just saying these games are about good vs. evil seems to belittle it somewhat.
Can't help that as George Lucas himself has stated this multiple times... The KotOR series being "Star Wars" has to follow suit, and does quite well.

Notice the lightside endings are listed as the "canonical' endings for K1 and TSL, this is because of this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Racer
On a side note, I find you last comment could have been put better/nicer given that you are a moderator here.
Really? There is nothing un-kind or wrong with what I said. In a debate you are allowed to ask for proof from the other debater when they make claims.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by RedHawke; 04-25-2008 at 02:47 AM.
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Can't help that as George Lucas himself has stated this multiple times... The KotOR series being "Star Wars" has to follow suit, and does quite well.
Why are random statements by George Lucas taken as fact by so many people?


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Not to mention that he had nothing to do with either game.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Why are random statements by George Lucas taken as fact by so many people?
Because its G-canon... Don't make me bring out Jae's infamous 6 degree's of canon....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=levels+canon



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden
 
Gurges-Ahter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Why are random statements by George Lucas taken as fact by so many people?
I agree that Lucas had nothing/little to nothing to do with the game, but many accept what he says as fact because he, as the creator, is the ultimate decider of what is canon and what isn't. He probably knows less of the EU than many that use this board though, so it's hard for many to easily accept his word as fact.

So, for the most part, I agree that we can't use Lucas as a validator of an argument for issues regarding KotOR; although his opinion should be considered in some cases, perhaps such as this one where the nature of the game, which is part of the EU, is in question.
Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,507
Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Why are we upset that George said the games are about good and evil? It's true -- they are. However they're not only about good and evil. It's a rare thing that can only be interpreted in one way.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #20
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyri
Why are we upset that George said the games are about good and evil? It's true -- they are. However they're not only about good and evil. It's a rare thing that can only be interpreted in one way.
Silence infidel - the sacred texts can only be interpretated one way!



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran

Last edited by jonathan7; 04-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
Salzella
areiK
 
Salzella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,135
Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Lucas Schmucas.

that's the most in-depth comment you're going to get out of me i'm afraid
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Eagle Racer
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 56
Hum, bringing up Jacen is a good point... Everything he does is driven by is desperate desire to overt chaos and total war. At least as first... And he does good things and bad things to achieve this goal along the way. Seeing as he's the main character of the current story line in the books...

Lucas also said in an interview, something about poetry and versus rhyming... Anakin blowing up the droid control ship in Episode One was symbolic of Luke blowing up the Death Star. So if we take Lucas's words as fact, then we are doomed to see the same story over and over again with new faces and places if we are lucky.
Eagle Racer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:29 AM   #23
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Why are random statements by George Lucas taken as fact by so many people?
Because they are... perhaps you ought to read up on the state of things before you joust with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Not to mention that he had nothing to do with either game.
(See below) But your point(s) are irrelevant, sorry mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
I agree that Lucas had nothing/little to nothing to do with the game, but many accept what he says as fact because he, as the creator, is the ultimate decider of what is canon and what isn't. He probably knows less of the EU than many that use this board though, so it's hard for many to easily accept his word as fact.
Unfortunately for this argument something called Lucas Licencing proves this wrong, he does indeed have final "control" of what is allowed to be made/produced with the Star Wars name. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
So, for the most part, I agree that we can't use Lucas as a validator of an argument for issues regarding KotOR; although his opinion should be considered in some cases, perhaps such as this one where the nature of the game, which is part of the EU, is in question.
This would hold water except as stated above.

Basically this is like trying to argue what is Trek with Rodenberry, or what is Babylon 5 with Straczynski.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by RedHawke; 04-26-2008 at 02:42 AM.
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #24
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Er...what exactly did he have to do with making either game? Did he write the script, or did he do some skinning and modeling?


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:34 AM   #25
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,507
Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
He owns Star Wars. 'Nuff said.

So as RedHawke suggested, your point is irrelevant.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #26
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Er...what exactly did he have to do with making either game? Did he write the script, or did he do some skinning and modeling?
Re-read my post I added why this is so...


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:51 AM   #27
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
So? Gene Rodenberry may have created Star Trek, but that doesn't mean that every single episode of every series shared his original vision. The same applies for any series in which the creator hands the work over to others, including Star Wars.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #28
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor
 
Inyri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,507
Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Yes, but if Gene Roddenberry decided he wanted to make a claim about that episode that didn't follow his original vision, it would be true because he created Star Trek.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 03:12 AM   #29
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
That still doesn't mean that the games have to be about good vs evil just because they take place in the Star Wars universe--in fact, they don't even take place in George Lucas' universe, as he considers the EU to be completely separate from the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
True but G0-T0 is the exception, he isn't the main part of the story, stopping Nihilus is.
Then why doesn't the game end when the player kills Nihilus?

Quote:
Notice the lightside endings are listed as the "canonical' endings for K1 and TSL, this is because of this fact.
Not true; K2 doesn't have a canonical ending yet. And even if the ending is happy, that doesn't mean the story was about good vs evil.


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #30
Rogue Nine
*static*
 
Rogue Nine's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 14,654
Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
That still doesn't mean that the games have to be about good vs evil just because they take place in the Star Wars universe--in fact, they don't even take place in George Lucas' universe, as he considers the EU to be completely separate from the movies.
They can't be completely separate, as they still take place within Star Wars. It's not something George Lucas conceived himself, but it's still playing within the universe he created, albeit even longer ago than the Prequel and Original Trilogies.

The beautiful thing about the games is that we can each interpret it in our own ways. Some can see the whole good vs evil thing quite clearly, while others are not sure it's so cut and dried like that, especially with a game like the Sith Lords, where alignment isn't so obvious.




have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #31
luckyariot
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: I don't remember. Uh... Help?
Posts: 58
Well... I agree that this does come down to good vs. evil. But TSL goes about it realistically. Nothing is truely pure good or evil (look at the actions of both the Jedi and the Sith, especially concerning the Exile and Revan, and neither are really something you want to admire), and in the end, the judgements made upon the characters' morality are based on your own interpretation. I like that, because the first game only touched over this slightly, and it makes situations seem more real and in-depth (if only they had finished... )

However, no reason you can't apply the Chaos/Law theory, as long as you keep-in-mind that, like the good and evil labels, there are variables. Examples...

HK: Chaos-Evil, don't get me wrong; this is quite obvious. But remember that HK was made to be a killer, so it seems likely he was programmed this way, or even developed that rationale to funtion properly, like humans do. And, although he definitely enjoyed this job, it is notable how he views his kills as art, saying it is about "finesse, function" and "not body-count". Also note that, as a droid, he has little free will and cannot be truely held accountable for the acts he committed, as long as his master had given the orders, or his programming interpretted it that way.

Quote:
We were created as a way of enforcing a certain galactic view of our masters, of imposing our masters' will upon the galaxy, through extermination of other organics. It is not our choice who we kill and it was not our choice to determine if we could sacrifice ourselves in the persuit of our mission.
Interesting self-analysis, no?

Canderous: Between Law and Chaos/Neutral, this is much more difficult to judge, given how Canderous developed during the game, but my guess is that this is how he would stand at the end of the second game. It is clear that Canderous is not a blood-thirsty person, but as a Mandalorian, battles are his life. As a military commander, he had to make nessisary sacrifices and attack unarmed worlds, culture and strategy demanding it. But he also respected his opponents (like Revan and the Exile), and didn't hold grudges like the 'lighter' characters.

Quote:
I've killed many people. I can't say I'm proud of it, but I have. Criminals, competitors, businessmen, police… women, children…
Canderous is tough to judge because he is pretty down-to-earth, realistic. He isn't sentimental or blood-thirsty, but he does what he needs to do, for himself and his people. Overall, I would say he makes choices that many real people would make.

Anyone able to judge Visas? She's difficult, and it was only when I faced Nihilus that I was sure she was on the Exile's side.
luckyariot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #32
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
That still doesn't mean that the games have to be about good vs evil just because they take place in the Star Wars universe--in fact, they don't even take place in George Lucas' universe, as he considers the EU to be completely separate from the movies.
I have already answered you on this, simply regurgitating the same argument over and over doesn't change the facts.

While the EU may be completely seperate, it still has to follow the guidelines he sets forth and Lucas Licencing enforces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Then why doesn't the game end when the player kills Nihilus?
Actually, the game is called The Sith Lords (Note the S at the end), Nihilus' destruction is paramount for the galaxies survival. But, Kreia and her pawn Sion also need to be delt with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
Not true; K2 doesn't have a canonical ending yet. And even if the ending is happy, that doesn't mean the story was about good vs evil.
Unfortunately you show your ignorance here... both games have 'canonical endings' for KotOR I Male Lightsided Revan and TSL is Female Lightsided Exile. This is a fact.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 02:45 AM   #33
JCarter426
Senior Member
 
JCarter426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Look to your left.
Posts: 1,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Unfortunately you show your ignorance here... both games have 'canonical endings' for KotOR I Male Lightsided Revan and TSL is Female Lightsided Exile. This is a fact.
"No. We've avoided anything concrete about the canon ending. The only reason why we decided on a canon gender for the Revan and the exile was out of editorial necessity." --Leland Chee, here


JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 AM   #34
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,906
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Why are random statements by George Lucas taken as fact by so many people?


I hope you realize that anything said about Star Wars by Lucas is fact based on the fact that he created it, he controls it. His will is law when it comes to Star Wars. He's the king, the dictator, the emperor, etc, when it comes to the Star Wars universe. Anything he says is law according when it comes to Star Wars. Anybody who argues what Lucas says has lost the argument as soon as the argument presented left their mouth.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #35
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
I guess that means the Invisible Hand is a Star Destroyer.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #36
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,195
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I know what your sayin TKA

George IS the be all and end all of Star Wars, but if he turns round and says that the invisible hand is a Star Destroyer then so be it, but two weeks later an official guide to ships comes out and it states that the invisible hand is in fact a Providence-class carrier/destroyer, then it is, because, by his own word he has given Lucas Licensing Dominion over the EU, (That includes Film related novels, incredible cross sections etc) therefore by having the official Logo it has been passed by Lucas, whether or not he'll bring something out to ret-conn that fact is his prerogative so yes, he is the ultimate Master, but it's not that cut n' dry.

Regarding K2, I think K2 isn't really about Good and Evil, but that's because it's a bit self indulgent and strays from Star Wars/its predecessor.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2008, 01:03 AM   #37
Da_man
CHEATER (Apparently)
 
Da_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 1,173
Current Game: Team Fortress 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
That still doesn't mean that the games have to be about good vs evil just because they take place in the Star Wars universe--in fact, they don't even take place in George Lucas' universe, as he considers the EU to be completely separate from the movies.
Who says it has to be either good or evil, it iss completely possible to be neutral, though you will inevitably be somewhat light- or dark-sided. ANd for the Chaos/law thing, they have to exist in balance, or the whole system collapses. In terms of the government, too much law and order, the people under you rebel. Too much Chaos, and nothing goes right, and again people rebel. Notice how both end the same. It's like Malcolm's Chaos Theory in Jurassic Park, there is a point where everthing is in balance, and everywhere else, it is utter destruction.

Da_man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 AM   #38
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,236
Guys, Star Wars is about Good/Evil. Therefore, so is TSL.

Problem is, however, is that it gets inverted. Good is Evil. Evil is Good. The evil guys like Kreia and Revan (both DS) gains more support than the good guys represented by the Jedi Council and Atris (all of whom were LS). It's not at all 'realistic', would you really bow down to Saddam Hussien if you realize he was oppressing his own nation and expanding the Iraq empire in order to protect the Earth from an invasion by aliens? It's just a twisted version.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #39
luckyariot
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: I don't remember. Uh... Help?
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScope001
It's not at all 'realistic', would you really bow down to Saddam Hussien if you realize he was oppressing his own nation and expanding the Iraq empire in order to protect the Earth from an invasion by aliens? It's just a twisted version.
...Actually it is realistic, since by your logic, there is only one point of view and Saddam Hussien's supporters all are evil and know it (or idoits/crazy). That is simply not true. Many good people think that causes like Hussien's are good ones. You will be hard-pressed to find many people who seriously think they are working for an evil cause and are alright with that, even the greedy ones have a problem with it.

Yes, Star Wars is about good vs. evil, but what that means is objective. There are different points of view and nothing is set in stone. Many people thought Revan was going the right way when he attacked the Republic, just look at Atton's dialouge and you'll see he didn't consider the Sith evil at first. The troops thought of the Jedi and the Council as evil, and not without reason.

Look at Atris! I wouldn't qualify her as good: manipulative and holding grudges, even before her fall... And I was horrified at what the Jedi tried to do to the Exile at the end of TSL, not to mention using Revan as a mind-slave...(don't care if I'm LS, that is something to be upset about) The Jedi Covenant is a pretty good example too-they aren't nessisarily evil (as a group) but they were pretty scary...

Oh, and many people would bow down to a despot and adopt their ideas, if they thought he/she might win. The Nazis. Austria. Hungary. Poland. Half of France. World War II. Look it up.
luckyariot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #40
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Look at Atris! I wouldn't qualify her as good: manipulative and holding grudges, even before her fall...
Before? When?

Quote:
And I was horrified at what the Jedi tried to do to the Exile at the end of TSL
Seems perfectly logical to me, since the Exile is the one responsible for setting off the MSG, causing this wound in the force stuff to hit the fan, killing hundreds across the planets of the game, and of course drawing the Council and the Sith to the same spot, which led to their certain deaths. What the hell were they supposed to do? Seems to me that their mistake was in not neutralizing the Exile sooner.

Quote:
not to mention using Revan as a mind-slave...(don't care if I'm LS, that is something to be upset about)
Again, what course of action would have been better? You're just being biased due to the fact that the player is Revan.

Quote:
The Jedi Covenant is a pretty good example too-they aren't nessisarily evil (as a group) but they were pretty scary...
Actually, they were evil, considering the fact that the Padawan Massacre at Taris somewhat damages their record, not to mention the severe tempers its members demonstrated. To say that they were Jedi at all is on the same level of rot as claiming that the Dark Jedi of the Hundred Year Darkness (circa 7,003 BBY) or (more recently) the Exile were Jedi, simply because they thought they were doing the right thing.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > The alignment system - Good/Evil and Law/Chaos?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.