lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The alignment system - Good/Evil and Law/Chaos?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 AM   #81
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
But if evil destroys evil for clearly selfish reasons, is that really "good"? Especially when you can't say what the intentions of a DS Exile will end up being anyway.
In the case of TSL yes it is, see 'good' is served either way becuse the destruction of the 3 Sith Lords allows for the continued existance of the galaxy at large. While the Exile's DS intentions might be for ill as well, it is a far lesser ill than say devouring whole planets or the further corruption of the force by the existance of the current Sith Lords.

Either way the galaxy continues on... life is served. 'Good' wins the day... even though with a DS Exile it might only be a pyrrhic victory for 'good'.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #82
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Doesn't Traya at the end of the game tell the player (if dark-sided) that he or she just mucked up all of the planets and will cause them to become like Malachor or something?

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #83
Gavroche
Rookie

Nope. What Traya says is that
1/ Telos will become one big and influent technological center thanks to Czerka. The only drawback is that Telosians will still be haunted by Karath's slaughter.
2/ Hutts and the Exchange will fight for Nar Shaddaa's control as the latter starts to get more and more power (thanks to the Exile). It will become even worse for Refugees.
3/ Onderon will keep its unity and culture from separating from the Republic, unlike the LS ending where Talia ends destroying completly the planet's customs.
4/ Dantooine will become a mercenaries and smugglers planet. Nobody will remember that Jedi were once there.

I guess that except for Dantooine and Nar Shaddaa, planets' fate are fairly good.
<<
>>
Well, from a certain point of view, of course... ^^

"Do you think I seek the death of all living things? There is no victory in such things.
I do not want to win our war like this, little Jedi. When I win, I wish it to be because I was right, my teachings true.
"
- Kreia, Jedi Master, Sith Lord
Gavroche is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #84
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
I'm not to sure what Law/Chaos situation means, but I think it could be applicable.

The Jedi have the job of attempting to bring balance to the force, while Sith try to cause chaos to it.
Nhil could have definatley been considered chaotic in the fact that he would have basically killed everything. (Sith aka Evil included)

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #85
luckyariot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001
Doesn't Traya at the end of the game tell the player (if dark-sided) that he or she just mucked up all of the planets and will cause them to become like Malachor or something?
I think it was more on the lines of the echos from all the death and darkness surrounding Malachor V to eventually spread across the galaxy and smother lives connected to the force (basically everyone but the Exile), killing most of them in the process. That's what I remember anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426
She was a heroine during the Mandalorian Wars, was she not? And even a DS Exile is heroic during the final battle at Telos.
Really? I think I missed something, but the Exile's actions during the Mandalorian Wars (mostly at the final battle) were at least decently contraversal and not always heroic. And the DS Exile was heroic? If this is about Nihilus's death, I don't know if that was heroism or rather making sure the guy doesn't consume everything and everyone in the galaxy. An empty galaxy is useful to no one, so stopping Nihilus being heroic... I guess its subjective to debate for DS Exile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter
I agree with that statement; that the Exile's alignment does not affect the outcome of the game.
*sigh* Yes, sadly the more visible effect of DS/LS, especially on your party is badly butchered by cuts. Rub salt in the gaping wound why don't ya? But, originally, many of the main characters would die due to the choices you make (and some would turn against you), and the fates of the worlds you visit were also more extreme-just look at the cut content where a DS Exile allows the ruined Ravanger to crash into Citadel Station and pretty much demolish it! ...Now consider the amount of people on that thing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR9VtHF5QFQ
...It still looks amazing everytime I watch it... And they cut it.
luckyariot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #86
Lord Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterJambi View Post
The Jedi have the job of attempting to bring balance to the force, while Sith try to cause chaos to it.
I'm not so sure about that. It wasn't until almost every Jedi in the galaxy was killed that balance was brought to the Force. They never really go into what is meant by 'balance', but I think the Jedi had to die before it could happen. The Jedi served the Republic, really. They weren't trying to balance the Force.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #87
JediMasterJambi
Rookie

Location: I'm In The Box Right Next To You, The One With The Floating Disembodied Head In It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Foley View Post
I'm not so sure about that. It wasn't until almost every Jedi in the galaxy was killed that balance was brought to the Force. They never really go into what is meant by 'balance', but I think the Jedi had to die before it could happen. The Jedi served the Republic, really. They weren't trying to balance the Force.
I like your thinking.
I was speaking in idealization however.
The ideal Jedi brings balance to the force while the ideal Sith will cause chaos.

Yoda had already stated that manny Jedi of that era were arrogant, and quick to action. Even the higher-ups. Manny of the Jedi in that era had lost their ideals, lost sight of their true task IMHO.
Anakins tragic fall to the darkside led him to kill tons of Jedi. The few that were spared he eventually hunted down till basically Yoda and Obi were all that remaind. I consider Anakins Prophecy to be the ultimate storyline that unfolds within the 6 movies in total. IMHO Anakin was basically the ultimate purge. He was essential to the downfall of both the Jedi and the Sith of that era. After his love for his son was triumphant he killed the LAST Sith, he himself died, leaving his son to train a new generation of reformed Jedi as guardians.
Really, the Comics they have after that are nice an all. (Resurrecting Boba Fett, Palpatine, and Han having a son...Anakin Solo...) But big GLs vision ends there for me as a fan to his story. All the nice little fantasy stories after that are 2nd rate IMHO. Unless GL comes out with 7,8, and 9.

Meka Leka Hi Meka Hiney Ho
Your wish is granted...
Long live Jambi...
JediMasterJambi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #88
Da_Man_2423
Forumite

Current Game: NCAA Football 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMasterJambi View Post
Unless GL comes out with 7,8, and 9.
Every Star Wars fan's dream. I'm pretty sure he's stated that he isn't making anymore, forgot where I read that from though.

Da_Man_2423 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #89
luckyariot
Rookie

True, but then, he also said that he had decided not to make the prequels either...
Old 06-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #90
ForeverNight
nrgurt researcher

Current Game: q2
Nevermind the fact, that prior to the prequels' release, he had stated that it was going to be a trilogy of trilogies...

So, GL, provided your reading this, GET OFF YOUR REAR AND MAKE THE STUPID THINGS.

@Topic: I, personally, like the alignment system that AD&D uses, the Chaotic, Neutral, Law and Good, Evil, Neutral.

You can apply it to any situation and have it work. So, even though Star Wars is more of a Good vs. Evil type story, it can still be applied and work.

I just don't get why Bioware didn't used it in KotOR, seeing as NWN has it and the Engine is based off of the NWN Engine. Maybe they had a decent reason... you never know!
ForeverNight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #91
luckyariot
Rookie

Uh... I really didn't expect to come back and find this thread in 'flames'.

To be on topic, while K2 does keep with the SW idea of good vs. evil, it is much more subtle, more characters and actions are morally ambiguous, and overall it is rather grey. It has depth (where its finished) where K1 was sometimes lacking... whether you played LS or DS.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #92
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyariot View Post
Uh... I really didn't expect to come back and find this thread in 'flames'.
Me either.. fixed

Let's keep it cool gang. Posts minus the personal attacks this time. - Cz

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 AM   #93
whatthehell
Rookie

i believe the droids are all nuetral, simply because they can be reprogramed into being good or evil

If you are reading this, then You Just Lost The Game. Fear my posts knowing you will lose again
whatthehell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #94
bally3000
Rookie

Current Game: Mass Effect trilogy (again :3)
well when i was young i used to llove being the dark side cause u get more wepons money ect but now am older i seem to put myself in the persons shoes and i cannot be evil its so strange. its like i could kill this guy here for speaking to me in a rash way but then wht would his family be like with out him... lol but the light side feels so much better =D

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

The rule of two -
One to embody the power,
And,
One to crave it
bally3000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Telos Tourist Bureau > The alignment system - Good/Evil and Law/Chaos?